**OFFICIAL** 2015 Samsung 4K SUHD JS8500 Series TV Thread - Page 653 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9811Likes

post #19561 of 24072 Old 07-06-2016, 05:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by carneb View Post
I had some time to put your settings into my Australian model UA65JS8000 and take some measurements. I first reset movie mode to stock and took one set off measurements, then input your settings into movie mode and took some more measurements. Attached are the greyscale plots and CIE diagrams for both.

Your greyscale is blue at the high IRE levels, and the colours as shown on the CIE diagram are a bit wonky. Are you sure there are no typos on the settings you posted? Cyan in in particular is way off.
This is why I was wondering why the calibrator only did the first 2 IRE levels. 100 IRE greyscale is reference white, if that is not corrected to ideal level, then both greyscale and color scale will be way off.

my JS8500 movie calibration settings as of 8/8/15 https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post34495410
my JS8500 standard calibration settings as of 6/18/15 https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post35124130
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19562 of 24072 Old 07-06-2016, 05:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked: 394
I also noticed that his 2 pt white balance has blue gain at 11, which explains his blu high IRE levels.

my JS8500 movie calibration settings as of 8/8/15 https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post34495410
my JS8500 standard calibration settings as of 6/18/15 https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post35124130
post #19563 of 24072 Old 07-06-2016, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I have an NVidia Shield plugged into port 2 on the Mini OCB and am getting HDR on Netflix but no Dolby Digital. I know Dolby Digital pass through is working because I have a Comcast X1 box in port 1 and the DD lights up on my Yamaha receiver. Is anyone getting DD via the Shield without using an optical cable?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19564 of 24072 Old 07-06-2016, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Question Latest Firmware

I see on Samsung's web-site the latest firmware for this series was on 6/27, but it shows Korean as the OS language & then shows Multi-Language on 6/13. Are either one of these applicable in the US? I thought normally when there was a firmware upload available, it would be shown automatically on the TV when powering on. Maybe I got that notice & just don't recall it, but don't think I did. Can anyone who downloaded this say if it was a noticeable firmware update?

Thanks,

Ken

The optimist claims the glass is half full; the pessimist claims it is half empty. An engineer observes that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
post #19565 of 24072 Old 07-06-2016, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_D View Post
I have an NVidia Shield plugged into port 2 on the Mini OCB and am getting HDR on Netflix but no Dolby Digital. I know Dolby Digital pass through is working because I have a Comcast X1 box in port 1 and the DD lights up on my Yamaha receiver. Is anyone getting DD via the Shield without using an optical cable?
I have the Shield and ran into the same problem. I'm afraid their is no solution if you connect your Shield to the mini OCB and ARC to your receiver. The reason is that the Shield passes Dolby Digital Plus from Netflix. It cannot pass regular DD. The mini OCB cannot pass DD+ or any high resolution audio, for that matter, through ARC. You will have to connect your Shield directly to your receiver to get HDR and DD+.
John_D likes this.
post #19566 of 24072 Old 07-06-2016, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post
Amazon should be sending you an email to provide feedback on the delivery. Make sure to include that info in your feedback. That's no bueno.
Indeed they did. In fact, they sent it just an hour or so after the set was delivered. I gave them a very matter of fact rundown of the whole process. We'll see if they reply.

So far so good on the set itself!
post #19567 of 24072 Old 07-06-2016, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
I had some time to put your settings into my Australian model UA65JS8000 and take some measurements. I first reset movie mode to stock and took one set off measurements, then input your settings into movie mode and took some more measurements. Attached are the greyscale plots and CIE diagrams for both.

Your greyscale is blue at the high IRE levels, and the colours as shown on the CIE diagram are a bit wonky. Are you sure there are no typos on the settings you posted? Cyan in in particular is way off.

Nope there are no typo's in the settings I posted. He is coming back to do some more Calibrations to 3D, UHD & HDR on the TV.
He is in the States now actually & he's going to a few Seminars in regards to the new standards & Calibrating for UHD/HDR so we'll see what he has to say when he gets back.
I honestly can't offer any more info on my Calibration as I am no expert even though I understand it, once I have the charts, I can elaborate more for you all. The picture is excellent though as I've said previously.

Lounge - Sony 65" A8F OLED, Pioneer SC-LX59 9.2 Receiver, Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-Ray Player, JBL Studio 180 Speaker Series, ELAC Debut A4 Atmos Modules setup as 5.1.4, Sony PS4 Pro, Logitech Harmony Elite. Bedroom - Samsung UA55C8000 3D LED, Sony PS3.
post #19568 of 24072 Old 07-06-2016, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_avs View Post
Nope there are no typo's in the settings I posted. He is coming back to do some more Calibrations to 3D, UHD & HDR on the TV.
He is in the States now actually & he's going to a few Seminars in regards to the new standards & Calibrating for UHD/HDR so we'll see what he has to say when he gets back.
I honestly can't offer any more info on my Calibration as I am no expert even though I understand it, once I have the charts, I can elaborate more for you all. The picture is excellent though as I've said previously.
The reason I thought there might be some typos is because some of the numbers for your custom colour space don't make sense. For green you have more red than green, and for cyan you have no blue but lots of red, when cyan is a mixture of green and blue.
post #19569 of 24072 Old 07-06-2016, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
The reason I thought there might be some typos is because some of the numbers for your custom colour space don't make sense. For green you have more red than green, and for cyan you have no blue but lots of red, when cyan is a mixture of green and blue.

I totally understand exactly what you're saying mate but nothing is a miss picture wise, every colour is displayed naturally, there is honestly nothing where I have gone "geez that colour looks abnormal". I can't stress enough that it looks great.

Lounge - Sony 65" A8F OLED, Pioneer SC-LX59 9.2 Receiver, Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-Ray Player, JBL Studio 180 Speaker Series, ELAC Debut A4 Atmos Modules setup as 5.1.4, Sony PS4 Pro, Logitech Harmony Elite. Bedroom - Samsung UA55C8000 3D LED, Sony PS3.
post #19570 of 24072 Old 07-07-2016, 06:32 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Discrete IR Codes for This TV

Does anyone have pointers to where I can find discrete IR codes for the JS8500? I am looking for a way to change the Picture Mode when I change activities with my Harmony remote. I would like to select Movie Mode directly. Actually I really want to select either of the two Calibration modes - Cal-Day and Cal-Night. I already have them enabled and setup. If I could select them - great. If not, Movie Mode would work - I would just send a few more commands to move down and enter.

Pronto Hex codes would be fine.

Thanks
post #19571 of 24072 Old 07-07-2016, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGrana View Post
Discrete IR Codes for This TV

Does anyone have pointers to where I can find discrete IR codes for the JS8500? I am looking for a way to change the Picture Mode when I change activities with my Harmony remote. I would like to select Movie Mode directly. Actually I really want to select either of the two Calibration modes - Cal-Day and Cal-Night. I already have them enabled and setup. If I could select them - great. If not, Movie Mode would work - I would just send a few more commands to move down and enter.

Pronto Hex codes would be fine.

Thanks
Why not just add a macro to your activity? Or maybe i'm understanding you wrong?

LG OLED B7A 65"
Philips BDP7501 UHD Blu Ray player
Apple TV4
Onkyo TX-SR606
Harmony Elite
post #19572 of 24072 Old 07-07-2016, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Ever since I received 1455, my set has been doing an odd thing:

I've been using HDMI-CEC for sound using an AVR and some speakers. The TV is set to use 'Receiver' from the Speaker List. This has been fine up to now. Once I received 1455, the TV switched back to internal speakers. When it does this, the volume and mute icons change slightly. I change it back to Receiver and it stays that way for a while. A day or two later I find it has switched back to Internal. I usually discover this after turning on the set. Then sometimes the AVR does not power up, but it usually does. But the Volume and Mute functions only affect the TV speakers, not the AVR. The AVR displays as if it is receiving an HDMI signal ('Dolby' if that is what is being received at the time) but no sound (usually). Switching the TV back to 'Receiver' makes it normal.

Anybody else see this kind of stuff?
post #19573 of 24072 Old 07-07-2016, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
My TV has a 2 inch wide vertical stripe/band 7.5 inches from the right edge that appears on a dark scene with other bright areas. It is almost like the dimming is having problems. It will be green, blue or red. Samsung has been giving me the run around. I am into a "three week" test where they have altered the settings remotely and had me plug all my other AV equipment except the TV into a different circuit (I ran an extension cord to another room.) They claim my problem will vanish after three weeks. It appears on all inputs, including the internal apps with all inputs removed. It does NOT show up on the internal static screen test pictures - hence the runaround. Anyone else out there witness this problem?
post #19574 of 24072 Old 07-08-2016, 04:17 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse01 View Post
Why not just add a macro to your activity? Or maybe i'm understanding you wrong?
That is/was my plan... The problem is getting to a known setting then sending up/down commands to get to one of the 2 Cal modes. I have Cal-Day calibrated for non 4K video and Cal-Night for 4K. The main difference is Color mode - custom for non 4K, Native for 4K. There might be a few other tweaks to 2 pt/10 pt, I don't recall.
post #19575 of 24072 Old 07-08-2016, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by weedeater View Post

I've been using HDMI-CEC for sound using an AVR and some speakers. The TV is set to use 'Receiver' from the Speaker List. This has been fine up to now. Once I received 1455, the TV switched back to internal speakers. When it does this, the volume and mute icons change slightly. I change it back to Receiver and it stays that way for a while. A day or two later I find it has switched back to Internal. I usually discover this after turning on the set. Then sometimes the AVR does not power up, but it usually does. But the Volume and Mute functions only affect the TV speakers, not the AVR. The AVR displays as if it is receiving an HDMI signal ('Dolby' if that is what is being received at the time) but no sound (usually). Switching the TV back to 'Receiver' makes it normal.

Yes, sadly I have seen very erratic operation using HDMI/CEC/ARC for sound, and things have deteriorated with firmware 1455. I connected a Vizio SB4051-C0 to my JS8500 back in November. I'm pleased with the sound out of this unit, but getting this thing to behave with the JS8500 has been problematic and things have gotten worse with the 1455 firmware release. Prior to this release, the sound bar would power up/off with the TV about 95% of the time. Since the new firmware, I have a new problems I had not seen before.

-Each morning doing the work week, the TV powers on at 6:30AM using the TV scheduler. Sound comes on for a few seconds and then goes off. The sound bar LED's indicate the sound bar is muted. Using the Samsung remote, it unmutes successfully. This occurs about 50% of the time.

-TV powers up with both sound bar and internal audio. The speaker selection display indicates internal audio is selected. I would guess this issue is in Samsung's court, as they control what ports get the audio, and both is not a legit option.

Other problems I've had with this as well as other firmware releases, but occurring more frequently with the 1455 release are:

-Sound bar does not power up with TV
-Sound bar does not power down with TV
-Intermittent audio dropouts

I know others would recommend connecting the sound bar via optical, but I specifically chose the Vizio for HDMI connectivity so the wife could use just one remote.

Who's to blame for this? Vizio or Samsung? I suspect both or maybe the HDMI/CEC/ARC specs leave too much up to the vendor. Mixing vendors is not without risk.

I have connected the sound bar to another Samsung TV (32H5500), but not long enough to determine consistent operation. Frankly, I liked the earlier model for displaying a numeric sound level for the sound bar as well as titling it "SB4051" instead of just "Receiver". The JS8500 lacks this feature despite costing considerably more. Perhaps it is also evidence that the JS8500 HDMI/CEC/ARC controls have diverged from prior models, and not for the better.

I should also point out I have the Samsung Instant On feature turned off, as it seemed to be the root of many unexplained problems (Picture size changes, source menu stuck on screen).

Yes, the picture is very nice on this set, but frankly, the control functions on this model aren't so great. I've been a long time Sony fan and never had to deal with the kind of issues I'm having on the Samsung. The Sony's just worked.
post #19576 of 24072 Old 07-08-2016, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmokey View Post
-Each morning doing the work week, the TV powers on at 6:30AM using the TV scheduler. Sound comes on for a few seconds and then goes off. The sound bar LED's indicate the sound bar is muted. Using the Samsung remote, it unmutes successfully. This occurs about 50% of the time.
I am running the 1455 and this is how my TV/AVR works.

I have set the CBL/SAT input of AVR to pass through to TV (my Comcast box is connected to AVR) so that I can use TV speakers to watch news in the morning when the AVR and surround speakers are not needed.

When I switch on the TV, if the HDMI4 (ARC) which is connected to AVR was the last source I picked previously, the AVR comes on and audio comes through the AVR speaker set. I switch the AVR off and TV automatically falls back to TV speakers as AVR passing both video and sound to TV. If I switch the AVR on again, audio jumps to AVR again. All the time I only use TV remote and it controls the volume of TV/AVR based on which is the current audio output.

post #19577 of 24072 Old 07-08-2016, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Quoted: 1966 Post(s)
Liked: 3270
HDMI-CEC ISSUES

This protocol was never made mandatory in the HDMI specs, so interoperability through multiple brands is spotty at best. Most manufacturers incorporated full support only for equipment within their own ecosystems, and the most successful efforts across the board came from Sony. I would suggest getting a Harmony remote to anyone who wishes to enjoy to convenience that HDMI-CEC promised but failed to deliver.

Definition of "Stupid": Knowing the truth, seeing the truth, but still believing the lies.
post #19578 of 24072 Old 07-08-2016, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post
HDMI-CEC ISSUES

This protocol was never made mandatory in the HDMI specs, so interoperability through multiple brands is spotty at best. Most manufacturers incorporated full support only for equipment within their own ecosystems, and the most successful efforts across the board came from Sony. I would suggest getting a Harmony remote to anyone who wishes to enjoy to convenience that HDMI-CEC promised but failed to deliver.
Though some features work for me, I found it true and turned off many features of HDMI-CEC which annoyed me. I find it better me controlling everything one by one than this stupid HDMI-CEC doing weird things

post #19579 of 24072 Old 07-08-2016, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_D View Post
I have faced similar issue and ended up returning nvidia shield back. My main intention to get shield was to get faster app updates on android tv, but I also did not want to compromise on sound either, so decided to return. Also, youtube and hbo go disabled dolby digital option in sound settings on my JS8500. The answer I got from nvidia is that Netflix use EAC3 compression on android tv app and EAC3 need to be supported by TV to get Dolby Digital sound.
post #19580 of 24072 Old 07-08-2016, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Anyone else get updated to firmware 1460? I got it last night (Jul 7), OTA.

It was a tiny update (I think). Downloaded extremely quickly and the flash/reboot took less than 30 seconds.
post #19581 of 24072 Old 07-08-2016, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Firmware 1460

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluethor View Post
Anyone else get updated to firmware 1460? I got it last night (Jul 7), OTA.

It was a tiny update (I think). Downloaded extremely quickly and the flash/reboot took less than 30 seconds.
Haven't received it yet (and not available on the Sammy website as of this writing), but I sure hope it improves my PQ vs. 1455.0 which resulted in a dark cast to my picture (already tried numerous forum member recommended settings, as well as: reset picture via TV menu; rebooted cable box numerous times; replaced older HDMI cable with brand new one; tried different HDMI inputs; "warm booted" TV by unplugging it, holding the power button for 30 seconds, and then plugging it back in; and as a last resort, reset entire TV yesterday to original factory state via TV menu, which unfortunately still left me with firmware 1455.0 (as expected) with zero improvement to the darkish appearance despite further tweaking). I have a copy of the factory service menu, but there's not much to go on in there regarding firmware update problems -- no firmware rollback option that I can see. Other than waiting for further updates and hoping for the best, the only option would be to swap the main board (which contains the firmware EEPROM), a piece of cake operation, but it does require accessing the Service Menu to verify/change certain settings, which can be risky if you don't know the ins and outs of that cryptic menu system. The following factory service remote is supposed to help and provides full access to the Service Menu vs. limited access via a standard-issue Samsung push button remote control:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172258261333

At least the TV is still plenty watchable, it's just not close to the same PQ I had prior to 1455.0. Keeping my fingers crossed that 1460 arrives on my end soon and works in my favor.
post #19582 of 24072 Old 07-08-2016, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4K Tech View Post
Haven't received it yet (and not available on the Sammy website as of this writing), but I sure hope it improves my PQ vs. 1455.0 which resulted in a dark cast to my picture (already tried numerous forum member recommended settings, as well as: reset picture via TV menu; rebooted cable box numerous times; replaced older HDMI cable with brand new one; tried different HDMI inputs; "warm booted" TV by unplugging it, holding the power button for 30 seconds, and then plugging it back in; and as a last resort, reset entire TV yesterday to original factory state via TV menu, which unfortunately still left me with firmware 1455.0 (as expected) with zero improvement to the darkish appearance despite further tweaking). I have a copy of the factory service menu, but there's not much to go on in there regarding firmware update problems -- no firmware rollback option that I can see. Other than waiting for further updates and hoping for the best, the only option would be to swap the main board (which contains the firmware EEPROM), a piece of cake operation, but it does require accessing the Service Menu to verify/change certain settings, which can be risky if you don't know the ins and outs of that cryptic menu system. The following factory service remote is supposed to help and provides full access to the Service Menu vs. limited access via a standard-issue Samsung push button remote control:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172258261333

At least the TV is still plenty watchable, it's just not close to the same PQ I had prior to 1455.0. Keeping my fingers crossed that 1460 arrives on my end soon and works in my favor.
Just curious, but had anyone tried editing the manifest if an older firmware to look like a newer firmware number to see if it'll trick it into flashing? As long as you go between 1455 and 1460, you'd probably be okay...
dlbsyst likes this.
post #19583 of 24072 Old 07-08-2016, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Just curious, but had anyone tried editing the manifest if an older firmware to look like a newer firmware number to see if it'll trick it into flashing? As long as you go between 1455 and 1460, you'd probably be okay...
I thought about that very thing a few firmware's back that I was unhappy with. Only problem is, I wasn't able to figure out how to make it happen. If any of the smart guys here knows how to do it, I'm all ears.
post #19584 of 24072 Old 07-08-2016, 07:38 PM
Advanced Member

Firmware 1455.0 files

Quote:
Originally Posted by hearrean View Post
I see on Samsung's web-site the latest firmware for this series was on 6/27, but it shows Korean as the OS language & then shows Multi-Language on 6/13. Are either one of these applicable in the US?
The posting of Korean-language-only files (firmware 1455.0 and the firmware update user manual) to the US website was an error and has since been corrected by Samsung -- the only download files currently available are Multi-Language ones, not Korean-exclusive:

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/ow...UN65JS8500FXZA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hearrean

I thought normally when there was a firmware upload available, it would be shown automatically on the TV when powering on. Maybe I got that notice & just don't recall it, but don't think I did.

If you have the Software Update option set to Automatic, my understanding is that the update download works behind the scenes and takes effect the next time the TV is power cycled, in which case you may or may not receive an on-screen notification of the software update (those notifications tend to be hit and miss and can sometimes fly right by without noticing them). I keep my automatic update option turned off and periodically check for updates manually via the TV menu; I can then accept it or defer it to another time of my choosing (if at all). It's a little more effort than the fully automatic setting, but I prefer to have full control over the firmware update mechanism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hearrean View Post
Can anyone who downloaded this say if it was a noticeable firmware update?
If you are asking whether it provided any noticeable change or improvement, I did notice an improvement in black levels (near-plasma inky blacks now) but I also notice a darker cast overall to the picture (all colors appear darker than before, not just blacks). I'm also getting black crush which I hadn't experienced before. However, the only other forum member to date who has reported similar results after a 1455.0 update is "covsound1," so this darkened appearance seems to be the exception rather than the rule; covsound1's post can be found here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post44993602

There have been a couple of recent posts that mention some HDMI/ARC issues following the 1455.0 update, but I have no experience with that since I use an optical cable connected to my 17 year-old non-HDMI Pioneer receiver.
post #19585 of 24072 Old 07-08-2016, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbsyst View Post
I thought about that very thing a few firmware's back that I was unhappy with. Only problem is, I wasn't able to figure out how to make it happen. If any of the smart guys here knows how to do it, I'm all ears.
Not sure if that's possible, I think I remember reading something on the Sammygo website that it's way more involved. You might want to browse the Sammygo Wiki for the J Series (very sparse at this time) as well as the Sammygo J Series Forum at the following two links to see if something sounds interesting:

https://wiki.samygo.tv/index.php5?ti..._J_Series_Wiki

http://forum.samygo.tv/viewforum.php...3c3d793dc557b0
post #19586 of 24072 Old 07-08-2016, 09:50 PM
Lionheart of AVS

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked: 4367
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4K Tech View Post
I did notice an improvement in black levels (near-plasma inky blacks now) but I also notice a darker cast overall to the picture (all colors appear darker than before, not just blacks). I'm also getting black crush which I hadn't experienced before.
Hey 4K,

I remember our previous discussion on this issue you were having...

Sorry to hear that you were not able to resolve it.

What happens when you try to simply increase the "Gamma" control by 1 or 2 points? Does it wash-out the blacks? What about the "Brightness" setting?

Just wondering.

Richard
post #19587 of 24072 Old 07-09-2016, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I've been switching back and forth between Prme19 and denpom's settings and let me say they both look really good. You guys nailed it. Thank you for taking the time to calibrate your sets so thoroughly and help all of us out along the way.

Quick question regarding the picture mode; when you select Movie or Standard what kinds of unchangeable settings do those apply to? Color, motion, etc? Is one mode better for sports and another better for other types of shows? I'm currently using denpom's cable (Standard) settings and liking what I see.

Edit: still on 1455 for the user that posted about firmware. Have the auto update setting on and have not seen 1460 come across yet...
post #19588 of 24072 Old 07-09-2016, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richard View Post
What happens when you try to simply increase the "Gamma" control by 1 or 2 points? Does it wash-out the blacks? What about the "Brightness" setting?

Just wondering.

Richard
Hey Richard,

Thanks for the follow-up. I did some minor tweaking earlier today to the two parameters you mentioned, and noticed a slight improvement when I bumped gamma from its default of zero to 1. I tried increasing it to 2 but that seemed to noticeably wash out the blacks from inky-black to grayish-black, so I bumped it back down to 1. I then made a micro adjustment to my brightness setting from 45 to 46, but also ended up increasing the backlight from 12 to 13 -- a last resort type of thing since I'm dealing with a bright room and didn't want to go any higher than backlight 12, but 13 gave the entire picture a bit more pop across several live broadcasts (MLB, MLS, ESPN, CNN, MSNBC), so I decided to stick with the increased backlight (for now at least). I think those little tweaks have gotten me closer to how the panel looked prior to the 1455.0 update. I also did a before/after PQ comparison using a concert recording I made of "Jeff Lynne's Electric Light Orchestra Live at Hyde Park" that I DVR'd off of Palladia network about 6 months ago, an excellent concert and a good challenge for the JS8500 since it was shot outdoors as dusk was turning into night, with numerous vivid background special effects and plenty of black areas to test for black crush. That recording has an improved appearance now as well. So I think I'm headed in the right direction with those slight mods, and will give it a week or so to get even more used to the changes. I will probably roll the dice on the 1460 update when it hits, just to see if that further improves things. I still wish that Samsung offered a damn firmware rollback option!

Thanks again for the helpful input.
King Richard likes this.
post #19589 of 24072 Old 07-09-2016, 08:34 PM
Lionheart of AVS

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked: 4367
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenstatepkwy View Post
I've been switching back and forth between Prme19 and denpom's settings and let me say they both look really good. You guys nailed it. Thank you for taking the time to calibrate your sets so thoroughly and help all of us out along the way.

Quick question regarding the picture mode; when you select Movie or Standard what kinds of unchangeable settings do those apply to? Color, motion, etc? Is one mode better for sports and another better for other types of shows? I'm currently using denpom's cable (Standard) settings and liking what I see.

Hey @gardenstatepkwy

See my post >> HERE <<

Richard
post #19590 of 24072 Old 07-09-2016, 08:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by weedeater View Post

I find that when I have weird sound stuff happening I need to turn fast start off and then restart the tv.

Living Room
Samsung 65JS8500
Onkyo NR-737
Onkyo SKF-4800 Fronts w/ HTP-980 Surrounds & Center and Klipsch R-12SW
Bedroom
Samsung 55JS8500 w/ Yamaha YAS-105 Soundbar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
JS8500 , reflection , screen flashing black

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version