**OFFICIAL** 2015 Samsung 4K SUHD JS8500 Series TV Thread - Page 654 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9808Likes

post #19591 of 24071 Old 07-09-2016, 08:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 716 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4K Tech View Post
Hey Richard,

Thanks for the follow-up. I did some minor tweaking earlier today to the two parameters you mentioned, and noticed a slight improvement when I bumped gamma from its default of zero to 1. I tried increasing it to 2 but that seemed to noticeably wash out the blacks from inky-black to grayish-black, so I bumped it back down to 1. I then made a micro adjustment to my brightness setting from 45 to 46, but also ended up increasing the backlight from 12 to 13 -- a last resort type of thing since I'm dealing with a bright room and didn't want to go any higher than backlight 12, but 13 gave the entire picture a bit more pop across several live broadcasts (MLB, MLS, ESPN, CNN, MSNBC), so I decided to stick with the increased backlight (for now at least). I think those little tweaks have gotten me closer to how the panel looked prior to the 1455.0 update. I also did a before/after PQ comparison using a concert recording I made of "Jeff Lynne's Electric Light Orchestra Live at Hyde Park" that I DVR'd off of Palladia network about 6 months ago, an excellent concert and a good challenge for the JS8500 since it was shot outdoors as dusk was turning into night, with numerous vivid background special effects and plenty of black areas to test for black crush. That recording has an improved appearance now as well. So I think I'm headed in the right direction with those slight mods, and will give it a week or so to get even more used to the changes. I will probably roll the dice on the 1460 update when it hits, just to see if that further improves things. I still wish that Samsung offered a damn firmware rollback option!

Thanks again for the helpful input.
When I and several others on here turn their brightness past 45 the local dimming doesn't work. You may want to check to see if that's happening now.

Living Room
Samsung 65JS8500
Onkyo NR-737
Onkyo SKF-4800 Fronts w/ HTP-980 Surrounds & Center and Klipsch R-12SW
Bedroom
Samsung 55JS8500 w/ Yamaha YAS-105 Soundbar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19592 of 24071 Old 07-09-2016, 09:30 PM
Lionheart of AVS

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked: 4367
Quote:
Hey Richard,

Thanks for the follow-up. I did some minor tweaking earlier today to the two parameters you mentioned, and noticed a slight improvement when I bumped gamma from its default of zero to 1. I tried increasing it to 2 but that seemed to noticeably wash out the blacks from inky-black to grayish-black, so I bumped it back down to 1. I then made a micro adjustment to my brightness setting from 45 to 46, but also ended up increasing the backlight from 12 to 13 -- a last resort type of thing since I'm dealing with a bright room and didn't want to go any higher than backlight 12, but 13 gave the entire picture a bit more pop across several live broadcasts (MLB, MLS, ESPN, CNN, MSNBC), so I decided to stick with the increased backlight (for now at least). I think those little tweaks have gotten me closer to how the panel looked prior to the 1455.0 update. I also did a before/after PQ comparison using a concert recording I made of "Jeff Lynne's Electric Light Orchestra Live at Hyde Park" that I DVR'd off of Palladia network about 6 months ago, an excellent concert and a good challenge for the JS8500 since it was shot outdoors as dusk was turning into night, with numerous vivid background special effects and plenty of black areas to test for black crush. That recording has an improved appearance now as well. So I think I'm headed in the right direction with those slight mods, and will give it a week or so to get even more used to the changes. I will probably roll the dice on the 1460 update when it hits, just to see if that further improves things. I still wish that Samsung offered a damn firmware rollback option!

Thanks again for the helpful input.

Your welcome!

Glad I could help.

Just to add to this:

Also make sure that the "Black Tone" setting is turned OFF

You may also want to play around with the "Dynamic Contrast" setting.

Richard

Last edited by King Richard; 07-09-2016 at 09:39 PM.
post #19593 of 24071 Old 07-09-2016, 09:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Got 1460 update today

messaged from my HTC 10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19594 of 24071 Old 07-09-2016, 09:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathloki View Post
When I and several others on here turn their brightness past 45 the local dimming doesn't work. You may want to check to see if that's happening now.
Thanks for the heads up. What's the best method for testing that phenomenon (online test video?) and what exactly am I looking for to confirm local dimming functionality?
post #19595 of 24071 Old 07-09-2016, 09:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 8
For what it's worth, I am using my JS8500 in part with a home theater PC. For the resolution, the defaulted 3840x2160 60p and 1920 x 1080 60p worked well. As I mostly use it for movies, I set the refresh rate at 24hz for both the 2160 and the 1080 and it worked great...smooth. Then, I tried to get even more specific and going after the 23.976 frames per second by setting the refresh rate to 23.976 hz (not sure if that is the right way to do it), but then something interesting happened. It would not work at all on the 2160, but it did work on the 1080. So, I think I am able to run 1920x1080 23.976p, but not 3840x2160 23.976p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #19596 of 24071 Old 07-09-2016, 10:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up. What's the best method for testing that phenomenon (online test video?) and what exactly am I looking for to confirm local dimming functionality?
A letterbox movie is the easiest way to tell, make sure cinema black is on first and if the bars on the top and bottom don't dim then the brightness is too high.

Living Room
Samsung 65JS8500
Onkyo NR-737
Bedroom
post #19597 of 24071 Old 07-09-2016, 10:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmedrano1977 View Post
Got 1460 update today

messaged from my HTC 10
Does it have Netflix HDR?

Living Room
Samsung 65JS8500
Onkyo NR-737
Bedroom
post #19598 of 24071 Old 07-09-2016, 10:56 PM
Lionheart of AVS

post #19599 of 24071 Old 07-09-2016, 11:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richard View Post
Nope!

*long protracted sigh*
post #19600 of 24071 Old 07-09-2016, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
This made me audibly laugh
post #19601 of 24071 Old 07-09-2016, 11:08 PM
Lionheart of AVS

post #19602 of 24071 Old 07-10-2016, 02:24 AM
Advanced Member

Local Dimming testing

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
A letterbox movie is the easiest way to tell, make sure cinema black is on first and if the bars on the top and bottom don't dim then the brightness is too high.
Thanks!
post #19603 of 24071 Old 07-10-2016, 04:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Also make sure that the "Black Tone" setting is turned OFF

You may also want to play around with the "Dynamic Contrast" setting.
Thanks. "Black Tone" remains off and "Dynamic Contrast" seems best on medium, which is what I had it set to since taking delivery over a year ago. Some programs still look better than others (as expected) -- "Counting Cars" on History Channel had a dark overcast to it even with backlight experimentally blazing at 18 , whereas a live broadcast of an Angels baseball game looked impressive at backlight 13, as did live broadcasts on CNN (reminded me of how everything was prior to the update). That 1455.0 update caused a double-reboot with about a 5-10 second delay in between, something I never experienced with prior firmware updates. Maybe it had something to do with the HDMI 2.0a capability that it supposedly provided (my previous update was nearly a year ago), I seem to recall reading somewhere that certain firmware updates could also update something within the One Connect Mini, so that might explain the automatic double-reboot. I got lucky that I didn't hastily remove the USB drive before the second reboot thinking that the TV was done doing its thing -- PQ was unwatchable prior to the second reboot, colors were totally off and the entire image was fuzzy, so thank goodness for that second reboot, otherwise I'd have a heck of a lot more to deal with than just a darker cast to the picture. Still hopeful that 1460 improves things once I grab it OTA or via the Samsung website -- I'll probably try the OTA route next time since these updates usually appear that way first, and I'm anxious to give it a shot ASAP.
post #19604 of 24071 Old 07-10-2016, 05:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Quoted: 1966 Post(s)
Liked: 3270
Quote:
See post 19397 of this thread.

Definition of "Stupid": Knowing the truth, seeing the truth, but still believing the lies.
post #19605 of 24071 Old 07-10-2016, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Im having issues with sound cutting out. It is intermittent and will go hours without dropping out. Then it will happen in clusters, and will be every 5-20 seconds, and the cut out is approx 1 second. It can also be sporadic and happens a few times an hour. Enough to drive me insane. It does it with time warner cable(hdmi), also using the internal netflix app. I cant remember if the ufc app or youtube app does it. I ruled out my cable service when I noticed netflix would do the same. I'm thinking it is the tv itself. I have ran the software update, changed the sound modes and delay and changed cables with no luck. Im going to run a straight ethernet cord to the tv instead of wifi. I dont think it will matter since the cable is also having the same problem. This is the audio cutting out only and I have no external soundbar or speakers. I have read about problems when it happens with either the cable OR netflix, but not both. Ive had the tv for 3 months now. I was getting ready to call samsung. I have no idea what they will do. Any input would be great.

SOFTWARE VERSION T-HKMAKUC-1455.0

JS8500
post #19606 of 24071 Old 07-10-2016, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Audio Dropouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
Im having issues with sound cutting out. It is intermittent and will go hours without dropping out. Then it will happen in clusters, and will be every 5-20 seconds, and the cut out is approx 1 second. It can also be sporadic and happens a few times an hour. Enough to drive me insane. It does it with time warner cable(hdmi), also using the internal netflix app. I cant remember if the ufc app or youtube app does it. I ruled out my cable service when I noticed netflix would do the same. I'm thinking it is the tv itself. I have ran the software update, changed the sound modes and delay and changed cables with no luck. Im going to run a straight ethernet cord to the tv instead of wifi. I dont think it will matter since the cable is also having the same problem. This is the audio cutting out only and I have no external soundbar or speakers. I have read about problems when it happens with either the cable OR netflix, but not both. Ive had the tv for 3 months now. I was getting ready to call samsung. I have no idea what they will do. Any input would be great.

SOFTWARE VERSION T-HKMAKUC-1455.0

JS8500
Did you notice this problem prior to the 1455.0 firmware update? If not, then the first thing you can do is either wait for the latest 1460 firmware update (which is starting to be rolled out sporadically over-the-air per recent forum member posts, but when it will hit your TV or the Samsung owner's support web page is anyone's guess) or you can contact Samsung and see if they can upgrade you to 1460 remotely (which would likely require you to open a repair ticket). In the meantime, and since there's no guarantee that the latest 1460 flash will improve anything, you can try the following:

1. Test a different HDMI port on the One Connect Mini (you stated that you swapped cables but didn't mention if you tried any of the other three HDMI ports for your Time Warner cable box connection). The likelihood of a bad HDMI port is low since you mentioned that there are no video issues, but it's painless to change to another port, so might as well try it if you haven't already. Also, is your replacement cable certified for HDMI 2.0 / 18Gbps speed (just to rule out an older cable being the issue)?

2. Perform a sound test to confirm that there is no distortion or audio dropouts when the canned Samsung melody is playing:

MENU --> SUPPORT --> SELF DIAGNOSIS --> SOUND TEST

3. Perform a Smart Hub Connection Test:

MENU --> SUPPORT --> SELF DIAGNOSIS --> SMART HUB CONNECTION TEST

4. Update/Reinstall the Netflix app:

SMART HUB --> APPS --> MY APPS --> HIGHLIGHT NETFLIX --> PRESS AND HOLD ENTER BUTTON FOR 3 SECONDS --> REINSTALL

5. Try the following audio settings (these work fine for me):

MENU --> SOUND --> ADDITIONAL SETTINGS -->

HDMI Audio Format = Bitstream
Audio Format = Dolby Digital
Audio Delay = 0 (your mileage may vary)
Dolby Digital Comp = RF
HD Audio = Off
Auto Volume = Off (if applicable)
TV Installation Type = Stand (or Wall if applicable)

6. See the attached screen grab from page 12 of the JS8500/JS850D User Manual (not to be confused with the E-Manual) regarding Netflix Network Troubleshooting suggestions (this may or may not have anything to do with your audio dropouts, but check it out just in case).

7. Have a look at the following Samsung "Intermittent Audio Dropouts When Using HDMI" troubleshooting guide (for TV model LNT4671F) to see if it gives you anything else to go on before calling Samsung, particularly the "Weak Signal" and "HDMI Handshake Sync" sections (perhaps a newer cable box or firmware update might be available from Time Warner):

http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber/...name=LN-T4671F

8. Try rebooting your cable box and TV (unplug TV, hold the power button on rear of TV for 30 seconds and then reconnect power).

9. Try a Factory Reset as a last resort (write down or take digital pics of all settings! the only ones that won't be affected are your network settings):

MENU --> SUPPORT --> SELF DIAGNOSIS --> RESET

Good luck, hope you get it sorted and that it turns out to be a simple fix.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Samsung JS8500 Network Troubleshooting - Netflix Problems.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	347.4 KB
ID:	1539385  
jrs0609 likes this.
post #19607 of 24071 Old 07-10-2016, 07:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Did you notice this problem prior to the 1455.0 firmware update? If not, then the first thing you can do is either wait for the latest 1460 firmware update (which is starting to be rolled out sporadically over-the-air per recent forum member posts, but when it will hit your TV or the Samsung owner's support web page is anyone's guess) or you can contact Samsung and see if they can upgrade you to 1460 remotely (which would likely require you to open a repair ticket). In the meantime, and since there's no guarantee that the latest 1460 flash will improve anything, you can try the following:

1. Test a different HDMI port on the One Connect Mini (you stated that you swapped cables but didn't mention if you tried any of the other three HDMI ports for your Time Warner cable box connection). The likelihood of a bad HDMI port is low since you mentioned that there are no video issues, but it's painless to change to another port, so might as well try it if you haven't already. Also, is your replacement cable certified for HDMI 2.0 / 18Gbps speed (just to rule out an older cable being the issue)?

2. Perform a sound test to confirm that there is no distortion or audio dropouts when the canned Samsung melody is playing:

MENU --> SUPPORT --> SELF DIAGNOSIS --> SOUND TEST

3. Perform a Smart Hub Connection Test:

MENU --> SUPPORT --> SELF DIAGNOSIS --> SMART HUB CONNECTION TEST

4. Update/Reinstall the Netflix app:

SMART HUB --> APPS --> MY APPS --> HIGHLIGHT NETFLIX --> PRESS AND HOLD ENTER BUTTON FOR 3 SECONDS --> REINSTALL

5. Try the following audio settings (these work fine for me):

MENU --> SOUND --> ADDITIONAL SETTINGS -->

HDMI Audio Format = Bitstream
Audio Format = Dolby Digital
Audio Delay = 0 (your mileage may vary)
Dolby Digital Comp = RF
HD Audio = Off
Auto Volume = Off (if applicable)
TV Installation Type = Stand (or Wall if applicable)

6. See the attached screen grab from page 12 of the JS8500/JS850D User Manual (not to be confused with the E-Manual) regarding Netflix Network Troubleshooting suggestions (this may or may not have anything to do with your audio dropouts, but check it out just in case).

7. Have a look at the following Samsung "Intermittent Audio Dropouts When Using HDMI" troubleshooting guide (for TV model LNT4671F) to see if it gives you anything else to go on before calling Samsung, particularly the "Weak Signal" and "HDMI Handshake Sync" sections (perhaps a newer cable box or firmware update might be available from Time Warner):

http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber/...name=LN-T4671F

8. Try rebooting your cable box and TV (unplug TV, hold the power button on rear of TV for 30 seconds and then reconnect power).

9. Try a Factory Reset as a last resort (write down or take digital pics of all settings! the only ones that won't be affected are your network settings):

MENU --> SUPPORT --> SELF DIAGNOSIS --> RESET

Good luck, hope you get it sorted and that it turns out to be a simple fix.
You mentioned everything but turning fast start off and turning the tv off and on again. I would suggest this as step 1 because it's the simplest.
post #19608 of 24071 Old 07-11-2016, 12:31 AM
Advanced Member

Audio Dropouts

Quote:
You mentioned everything but turning fast start off and turning the tv off and on again. I would suggest this as step 1 because it's the simplest.
You're right about making sure that Instant On is disabled, I remembered that point after uploading my original post which was already plenty long.

MENU --> SYSTEM --> GENERAL --> SAMSUNG INSTANT ON --> OFF

According to the E-Manual, "The Samsung Instant On function works when you turn on the TV while its power cable is still connected after you set Samsung Instant On to On. If you disconnect, reconnect the power cable, and then turn on the TV, this function does not work." So, cold booting the TV by unplugging it from wall power, holding the power button for 30 seconds, and then plugging it back in should make absolutely sure that Instant On is defeated without having to drill down through, or rely on, the TV menus to do so.

One other thing I thought of is to confirm that the TV is set for Home use (no doubt it is):

MENU --> SUPPORT --> USE MODE --> HOME USE

I think that the randomness of his audio dropouts, the fact that it's happening through both his Time Warner set top box AND the TV apps (not just one or the other), and that an HDMI cable swap didn't resolve it, makes one suspect the One Connect Mini, the One Connect Mini cable, or the Main Board (since all audio gets routed through it), if one of the simpler "fixes" didn't do the trick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Samsung JS8500 Wiring Diagram.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	1539977  

Last edited by 4K Tech; 07-11-2016 at 12:34 AM.
post #19609 of 24071 Old 07-11-2016, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
^^^^^ I agree!

Set the "Picture Mode" to "Movie"

Set the "Color Space" setting to "Native" (for the wider Color Gamut)

Set "Smart LED" to "High"

Set "Dynamic Contrast" to "Medium" (or "High")

Set "Black Tone" to "OFF"

"Gamma": Some HDR content may require you to raise the "Gamma Correction" Control by couple of points if the picture is too dark and shadow detail is being lost into black ('crushed blacks').

"Sharpness" should be no higher than "20"

"Digital Clean View" and "MPEG Noise Filter" should be set to "OFF" (not "Auto")

"Fit to screen" should be set to "ON" (not "Auto")

Note: The "HDMI UHD Color" setting only applies to the HDMI inputs and should be set to "ON" when viewing HDR content from a player connected to one of the HDMI inputs.

For more "Tips", check out my >> "Picture Settings Guide" <<

Richard
So for someone like myself that is using an Nvidia Shield to play all media who is tied to a single HDMI input for HDR and non-HDR viewing, would using the above settings for non-HDR media viewing be detrimental? I'd like to avoid having to switch my Samsungs video settings every-time I watch Marco Polo in HDR or the like. I'm leaving UHD Color on at all times.

I just made those above changes and I'm still gauging how it looks with most of my other sources such as HDHR OTA, other streaming services and Blu-Ray rip library.

Edit: I was finding the blacks way to crushed while playing back my LUCY bluray rip but I set HDMI Black level feature from Auto to normal and that improved things a lot.
King Richard likes this.

Current HT: Display : Samsung 65JS8500 | Receiver : Denon x2200 | Speakers L-R : EMPTek (RBH) R55Ti's | Speaker C : EMPTek (RBH) R56Ci | Rear Surrounds : EMPTek (RBH) E3b's | Speakers Atmos TM : Micca M-8C | Subwoofer : RSL Speedwoofer 10S | Media Player : Nvidia Shield TV | BluRay : Sony S5500/PS3 | Logitech Harmony 700

Last edited by OrlandoD; 07-11-2016 at 08:26 AM.
post #19610 of 24071 Old 07-11-2016, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Audio Drop-outs

I have audio drop outs from time to time, but it's usually just one or two over the air digital TV stations that do this. Do you have audio drop outs when playing DVD's ? If not, I suspect it's the source and not the TV.
post #19611 of 24071 Old 07-11-2016, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Back up to $2800. I paid $2k for mine. These sets must be getting harder and harder to find.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN65J...=dradisplay-20
post #19612 of 24071 Old 07-11-2016, 05:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
I agree.

It seems that the "Auto" setting still doesn't always work correctly sometimes for certain WCG content. Which is why I always recommend using the "Native" setting instead. When the TV first came out, the "Auto" setting was limited to the Rec.709 Color Space, so you HAD to use the "Native" setting for WCG content. It was fixed in a latter firmware update, however, sometimes it still doesn't seem to work correctly.

I can't remember exactly what Stacey Spears said (I'd have to find his post again). I'll let you know exactly what he said when I find it again.

Richard
My JS8500 was recently calibrated, so for Rec.709 my calibrator used Custom. No calibration was performed for HDR since no controls exist yet. When playing UHD blu-ray's on my Samsung K8500 I switch to Native which from everything I've read here is correct for getting WCG content. Funny, I was going to just set it at Auto but I found this post. I don't mind changing it between formats.
post #19613 of 24071 Old 07-11-2016, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePrisoner View Post
My JS8500 was recently calibrated, so for Rec.709 my calibrator used Custom. No calibration was performed for HDR since no controls exist yet. When playing UHD blu-ray's on my Samsung K8500 I switch to Native which from everything I've read here is correct for getting WCG content. Funny, I was going to just set it at Auto but I found this post. I don't mind changing it between formats.

I recently had mine Professionally Calibrated & mine is exactly the same.
ThePrisoner likes this.

Lounge - Sony 65" A8F OLED, Pioneer SC-LX59 9.2 Receiver, Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-Ray Player, JBL Studio 180 Speaker Series, ELAC Debut A4 Atmos Modules setup as 5.1.4, Sony PS4 Pro, Logitech Harmony Elite. Bedroom - Samsung UA55C8000 3D LED, Sony PS3.
post #19614 of 24071 Old 07-12-2016, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I've seen quite a bit of discussion in this thread about how well the JS8500 will be able to handle HDR content. I admit to not understanding alot of it, but after having read this explanation http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/movies/hdr/gradient, it looks like that other than only being able to handle one format (HDR10), the tv should do quite well. It gets an overall score of 8.1.

(I only buy a TV about once every 5 years and admit to having been a little nervous about this purchase, considering the 2 grand investment, but I'm beginning to think that I made the right choice)

Edit: BTW, how good/objective are those test results from Rtings.com ??

King Richard and mc_avs like this.

Last edited by TravisBean; 07-12-2016 at 11:17 AM.
post #19615 of 24071 Old 07-12-2016, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisBean View Post
I've seen quite a bit of discussion in this thread about how well the JS8500 will be able to handle HDR content. I admit to not understanding alot of it, but after having read this explanation http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/movies/hdr/gradient, it looks like that other than only being able to handle one format (HDR10), the tv should do quite well. It gets an overall score of 8.1.

(I only buy a TV about once every 5 years and admit to having been a little nervous about this purchase, considering the 2 grand investment, but I'm beginning to think that I made the right choice)

Edit: BTW, how good/objective are those test results from Rtings.com ??

From my limited experience with HDR content on this TV (some test footage from Life of Pi and Exodus, a FOX fire demo, and Amazon's HDR offerings), I'd say that the HDR is fine but not as impressive as it could be. The specular highlights in HDR are a little better than they are in SDR, but nothing mind blowing. That's probably due to the lower peak brightness and edge lighting.

I'd say that the bigger improvement is with the wider color gamut. It makes content with WCG much richer and lifelike. It almost seems oversaturated until you realize that that's what things look closer to in real life! We're just so used to colors on TV/movies being a bit duller than real life.
dlbsyst, TravisBean and mc_avs like this.

---
Striving to live life in high dynamic range and ultra high definition.
Samsung UN65JS8500 / Denon AVR-X4000 / 5.1 w/ Mixed Speakers / Oppo UDP-203 / TiVo Premiere XL / Apple TV (3rd gen) / Fire TV (1st gen) / Xbox 360 R2-D2 Edition
KC area / Father of 4 / Husband / Video Producer / Skeptic
post #19616 of 24071 Old 07-12-2016, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmedrano1977 View Post
Got 1460 update today

messaged from my HTC 10
Tizen 2?

Samsung JS8500 55"; Samsung HW-J650 soundbar; Pioneer VSX-94THX receiver; Amazon Fire TV 2nd Generation with Kodi; Samsung UBD-K8500 player when the price comes down
post #19617 of 24071 Old 07-12-2016, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by property33 View Post
Tizen 2?
Probably not, if it is everyone will be talking about it.
post #19618 of 24071 Old 07-12-2016, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by property33 View Post
Tizen 2?

Supposedly we are getting Tizen 2.0 in September/October.

Lounge - Sony 65" A8F OLED, Pioneer SC-LX59 9.2 Receiver, Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-Ray Player, JBL Studio 180 Speaker Series, ELAC Debut A4 Atmos Modules setup as 5.1.4, Sony PS4 Pro, Logitech Harmony Elite. Bedroom - Samsung UA55C8000 3D LED, Sony PS3.
post #19619 of 24071 Old 07-12-2016, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So I'm trying out a free trial of Amazon Prime so first thing I wanted to do is check out some of their HDR content on the app... but I'm not getting HDR, I'm not even getting 4K. TV is connected with Ethernet with a 70meg connection, it just won't go past 1080p. Am I doing something wrong? 48 inch model on 1455 firmware. Amazon Prime app updated to latest version.
post #19620 of 24071 Old 07-12-2016, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I was wondering:

It appears to me that the FIRMWARE updates and APPLICATION updates are different. That is, there are two different settings for these.

So how can you tell what version of an APP you have and whether or not it has been updated?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
JS8500 , reflection , screen flashing black

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page