Originally Posted by 10mm
Im having issues with sound cutting out. It is intermittent and will go hours without dropping out. Then it will happen in clusters, and will be every 5-20 seconds, and the cut out is approx 1 second. It can also be sporadic and happens a few times an hour. Enough to drive me insane. It does it with time warner cable(hdmi), also using the internal netflix app. I cant remember if the ufc app or youtube app does it. I ruled out my cable service when I noticed netflix would do the same. I'm thinking it is the tv itself. I have ran the software update, changed the sound modes and delay and changed cables with no luck. Im going to run a straight ethernet cord to the tv instead of wifi. I dont think it will matter since the cable is also having the same problem. This is the audio cutting out only and I have no external soundbar or speakers. I have read about problems when it happens with either the cable OR netflix, but not both. Ive had the tv for 3 months now. I was getting ready to call samsung. I have no idea what they will do. Any input would be great.
SOFTWARE VERSION T-HKMAKUC-1455.0
Did you notice this problem prior to the 1455.0 firmware update? If not, then the first thing you can do is either wait for the latest 1460 firmware update (which is starting to be rolled out sporadically over-the-air per recent forum member posts, but when it will hit your TV or the Samsung owner's support web page is anyone's guess) or you can contact Samsung and see if they can upgrade you to 1460 remotely (which would likely require you to open a repair ticket). In the meantime, and since there's no guarantee that the latest 1460 flash will improve anything, you can try the following:
1. Test a different HDMI port on the One Connect Mini (you stated that you swapped cables but didn't mention if you tried any of the other three HDMI ports for your Time Warner cable box connection). The likelihood of a bad HDMI port is low since you mentioned that there are no video issues, but it's painless to change to another port, so might as well try it if you haven't already. Also, is your replacement cable certified for HDMI 2.0 / 18Gbps speed (just to rule out an older cable being the issue)?
2. Perform a sound test to confirm that there is no distortion or audio dropouts when the canned Samsung melody is playing:
MENU --> SUPPORT --> SELF DIAGNOSIS --> SOUND TEST
3. Perform a Smart Hub Connection Test:
MENU --> SUPPORT --> SELF DIAGNOSIS --> SMART HUB CONNECTION TEST
4. Update/Reinstall the Netflix app:
SMART HUB --> APPS --> MY APPS --> HIGHLIGHT NETFLIX --> PRESS AND HOLD ENTER BUTTON FOR 3 SECONDS --> REINSTALL
5. Try the following audio settings (these work fine for me):
MENU --> SOUND --> ADDITIONAL SETTINGS -->
HDMI Audio Format = Bitstream
Audio Format = Dolby Digital
Audio Delay = 0 (your mileage may vary)
Dolby Digital Comp = RF
HD Audio = Off
Auto Volume = Off (if applicable)
TV Installation Type = Stand (or Wall if applicable)
6. See the attached screen grab from page 12 of the JS8500/JS850D User Manual (not to be confused with the E-Manual) regarding Netflix Network Troubleshooting suggestions (this may or may not have anything to do with your audio dropouts, but check it out just in case).
7. Have a look at the following Samsung "Intermittent Audio Dropouts When Using HDMI" troubleshooting guide (for TV model LNT4671F) to see if it gives you anything else to go on before calling Samsung, particularly the "Weak Signal" and "HDMI Handshake Sync" sections (perhaps a newer cable box or firmware update might be available from Time Warner):
8. Try rebooting your cable box and TV (unplug TV, hold the power button on rear of TV for 30 seconds and then reconnect power).
9. Try a Factory Reset as a last resort (write down or take digital pics of all settings! the only ones that won't be affected are your network settings):
MENU --> SUPPORT --> SELF DIAGNOSIS --> RESET
Good luck, hope you get it sorted and that it turns out to be a simple fix.