**OFFICIAL** 2015 Samsung 4K SUHD JS8500 Series TV Thread - Page 660 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10062Likes

post #19771 of 24352 Old 07-26-2016, 05:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4
hello,
What are the settings that should use with my new Nvidia Shield and HDR10 movies from Netflix? So what are the setting for best experience with HDR?

For example, should i set Color to Native instead Custom or Auto?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19772 of 24352 Old 07-26-2016, 06:20 AM

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dturner04 View Post
Do you guys use the dynamic contrast setting at all when viewing HDR content? I'm trying to dial in everything now that i have the samsung uhd blu ray player
Yes use dynamic contrast for HDR content you will see a huge difference
King Richard likes this.

LG OLED 65C6P | Yamaha RX-A2070 | Oppo UDP-203 | Paradigm SE Speakers
post #19773 of 24352 Old 07-26-2016, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakas View Post
hello,
What are the settings that should use with my new Nvidia Shield and HDR10 movies from Netflix? So what are the setting for best experience with HDR?

For example, should i set Color to Native instead Custom or Auto?

Thanks
Make sure you have the resolution on your Shield set to 4K 60Hz for HDR Netflix. It will not kick in if it's set to 4K 24Hz. I have my JS8500's color set to Auto. Some here have it set to Native but I have found Auto works just fine. Also you will need your sets HDMI UHD Color set to "On". That's about it. Enjoy.
King Richard likes this.

Last edited by dlbsyst; 07-26-2016 at 07:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19774 of 24352 Old 07-26-2016, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by balla80 View Post
I have a 65" JS8500. I added a few x265 format movies to my external usb hard drive. When I added them my tv was acting up trying to load the drive. It constantly said loading. The drive name was recognized, but when trying to load media it wouldn't. When I plugged a thumb drive in instead, it did the same thing trying to load, and it only had pictures on it. I unplugged the drives, took the movies back off the external hdd and power cycled the tv a couple of times to refresh it. The drive read fine after those movies were taken off. I put just one of the x265 files back on and it seemed to work once, but the drive would do the same thing sometimes. Only that movie. But when I added the rest of them on, it seemed to cause that constant loading screen come back on. The manual said x265 is a readable format for the TV. Has anyone experienced this or been able to get x265 format movies to play? Thanks!
does anyone have the answer?

can you play 2160p h265 x265 HEVC files, with HDR and without it, from a usb stick or hard drive? without using an external media player box? or perhaps through a network? are there any issues with it?

Last edited by markiz2001; 07-26-2016 at 07:29 AM.
post #19775 of 24352 Old 07-26-2016, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markiz2001 View Post

can you play 2160p h265 x265 HEVC files, with HDR and without it, from a usb stick or hard drive? without using an external media player box? or perhaps through a network? are there any issues with it?
The USB file support on our Samsung TV is awesome and seems to play just about everything. I'm not sure why balla80 is having problems unless the files he is trying to play have DRM on them. I have played many HDR demo files from a WD Passport hard drive and a thumb drive with no problems. They play perfectly. The UHD Video Pack also plays fine on our set accept that all 10 movies play back in HDR and they shouldn't. I have found that they play back correctly through the USB port on my Samsung UHD player though.
post #19776 of 24352 Old 07-26-2016, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbsyst View Post
The USB file support on our Samsung TV is awesome and seems to play just about everything. I'm not sure why balla80 is having problems unless the files he is trying to play have DRM on them. I have played many HDR demo files from a WD Passport hard drive and a thumb drive with no problems. They play perfectly. The UHD Video Pack also plays fine on our set accept that all 10 movies play back in HDR and they shouldn't. I have found that they play back correctly through the USB port on my Samsung UHD player though.
Check out these HDR clips especially LG Chess demo, crazy color and contrast.

http://demo-uhd3d.com/categorie.php?tag=hdr
dlbsyst and MALICIOUS ONE like this.
post #19777 of 24352 Old 07-26-2016, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Wanted to give an update in my dead 8500... It's fixed!!

Samsung sent out a local TV repair man today and it was the main board that was bad. He brought the part and replaced it and I'm back in business. Took about 15 minutes.

So it took about a week from start to finish dealing with Samsung tech support.

Glad to see the manufacturers warranty was hassle free.
post #19778 of 24352 Old 07-26-2016, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dojoman View Post
Check out these HDR clips especially LG Chess demo, crazy color and contrast.

http://demo-uhd3d.com/categorie.php?tag=hdr
That LG Chess HDR demo is my fave of the lot.

Though other than the quality picture....how do I know my TV is actually outputting HDR? Is there an icon somewhere that I'm missing?

Toon
MALICIOUS ONE likes this.
post #19779 of 24352 Old 07-26-2016, 09:42 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonTonic View Post

Though other than the quality picture....how do I know my TV is actually outputting HDR? Is there an icon somewhere that I'm missing?

Toon
You just know (Check backlight/contrast at the time when the file/show is running and you can see them jumping to 100%. If the TV is not reading HDR data it would not do that its own).
dlbsyst and King Richard like this.

post #19780 of 24352 Old 07-26-2016, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonTonic View Post

Toon

So I played the chess and sony files off of a thumb drive, but the 8500 stayed in my calibrated movie mode. What should I change the picture mode to when viewing UHD/HDR content off of a thumb drive? And the HDMI UHD Color setting wouldn't apply correct since those only apply to the 4 HDMI inputs correct?

JVC X550R /Panny UB820/GIK treatments
Elunevision 140" 2.35
Marantz AV8802a/Wyred4Sound 7-channel amp
Outlaw 5000/ 4 JBL 328Cs in ceiling/ 7.2.4 Atmos
JTR 3TX LCRs/Single8 HT-LP surrounds(4)/Dual PSA TV36 iPals
post #19781 of 24352 Old 07-26-2016, 11:28 AM
Lionheart of AVS

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1799 Post(s)
Liked: 4373
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
So I played the chess and sony files off of a thumb drive, but the 8500 stayed in my calibrated movie mode. What should I change the picture mode to when viewing UHD/HDR content off of a thumb drive? And the HDMI UHD Color setting wouldn't apply correct since those only apply to the 4 HDMI inputs correct?

Movie mode is best for HDR content.

As @JaytheDreamer said above, you "Backlight" and "Contrast" settings will go to their max setting when the content starts playing. (Which is what they are supposed to do.)

Yes, "HDMI UHD Color" only applies to the HDMI inputs.

Richard
post #19782 of 24352 Old 07-26-2016, 11:36 AM
Lionheart of AVS

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1799 Post(s)
Liked: 4373
Quote:
What are the setting for best experience with HDR?

Set the "Picture Mode" to "Movie"

Set the "Color Space" setting to "Native" or "Auto" (for the wider Color Gamut)

Set "Smart LED" to "High"

Set "Dynamic Contrast" to "Medium" (or "High")

Set "Black Tone" to "OFF"

"Gamma": Some HDR content may require you to raise the "Gamma Correction" Control by couple of points if the picture is too dark and shadow detail is being lost into black ('crushed blacks').

"Sharpness" should be no higher than "20"

"Digital Clean View" and "MPEG Noise Filter" should be set to "OFF" (not "Auto")

"Fit to screen" should be set to "ON" (not "Auto")

Note: The "HDMI UHD Color" setting only applies to the HDMI inputs and should be set to "ON" when viewing HDR content from a player connected to one of the HDMI inputs.

For more "Tips", check out my >> "Picture Settings Guide" <<

Richard
post #19783 of 24352 Old 07-26-2016, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richard View Post

Set the "Color Space" setting to "Native" or "Auto" (for the wider Color Gamut)

Set "Smart LED" to "High"

Set "Dynamic Contrast" to "Medium" (or "High")

Set "Black Tone" to "OFF"

"Gamma": Some HDR content may require you to raise the "Gamma Correction" Control by couple of points if the picture is too dark and shadow detail is being lost into black ('crushed blacks').

"Sharpness" should be no higher than "20"

"Digital Clean View" and "MPEG Noise Filter" should be set to "OFF" (not "Auto")

"Fit to screen" should be set to "ON" (not "Auto")

Note: The "HDMI UHD Color" setting only applies to the HDMI inputs and should be set to "ON" when viewing HDR content from a player connected to one of the HDMI inputs.

For more "Tips", check out my >> "Picture Settings Guide" <<

Richard
Thanks a lot

Last question: i set your great settings and it looks very very nice. At the moment i use Nvidia Shield for HDR on HDMI port 3. I also have "Custom" color space for NO-HDR movies into Picture Mode: Movie (i followed a guide on this site to set Custom Color Space and White Balance Color and it looks great).

So how could i use "Custom" Color Space for non HDR movies and use "Auto/Native" Color Space for HDR movie without switch every time this option? (I tried to set Auto but it looks always as Native and ignore my custom settings of color space when i watch a non HDR movie).

Thanks a lot
post #19784 of 24352 Old 07-26-2016, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richard View Post

Richard
Somehow I never liked the Movie mode . I don't know why though I tried. May be it is a matter of getting used to it. Thankfully JS sets doesn't need to be in Movie mode for HDR to play (I heard KS sets have to be ). All other settings are exactly as Richard posted. I have my Gama +1, Color space Native and HDMI Color ON always now and got used to it (exactly the way I got used to the Standard picture mode LOL) and never have to change anything no matter what I watch. For me, this constant setting works fine on my set for all types of sources and contents.
TravisBean and King Richard like this.

post #19785 of 24352 Old 07-26-2016, 01:03 PM

Quote:
So how could i use "Custom" Color Space for non HDR movies and use "Auto/Native" Color Space for HDR movie without switch every time this option? (I tried to set Auto but it looks always as Native and ignore my custom settings of color space when i watch a non HDR movie).

Thanks a lot
I don't think there is an easy way to switch between Native and Custom Color Space modes for the same input, though its a matter of three - four clicks (when you choose custom, your custom settings will be restored so no need to adjust them every time). As I pointed out in my earlier post, I overcame this limitation by adaptation and I find its just fine
King Richard likes this.

Last edited by JaytheDreamer; 07-26-2016 at 02:12 PM.
post #19786 of 24352 Old 07-26-2016, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
The USB file support on our Samsung TV is awesome and seems to play just about everything.
Yes, I certainly agree. The JS8500 is playing flv files that my older Samsung LN52B630 required being converted to mp4 first.

Speaking of USB support, I've got three desktop WD external Hard drives. A 500GB, a 650GB, and a 2 tetrabyte. The 500GB and the 2 TB loaded into 8500 with no problems whatsoever, but the 650 GB would never exit the loading screen. I had to re-boot the TV several times, and remove and reconnect the HD several times over a period of time. Finally it loaded properly, and now loads first time every time just like the 2 TB and 500 GB drives ??

At any rate, I want to buy a 6 TB or a 8 TB WD My Book USB3 external HD to consolidate all data onto one drive. I remember reading the spec on a Panasonic Smart TV that stated 4 TB was the largest HD that TV would recognize. Does anybody know what is the largest HD the JS8500 will recognize ?

Last edited by TravisBean; 07-26-2016 at 03:24 PM.
post #19787 of 24352 Old 07-26-2016, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisBean View Post
Yes, I certainly agree. The JS8500 is playing flv files that my older Samsung LN52B630 required being converted to mp4 first.

Speaking of USB support, I've got three desktop WD external Hard drives. A 500GB, a 650GB, and a 2 tetrabyte. The 500GB and the 2 TB loaded into 8500 with no problems whatsoever, but the 650 GB would never exit the loading screen. I had to re-boot the TV several times, and remove and reconnect the HD several times over a period of time. Finally it loaded properly, and now loads first time every time just like the 2 TB and 500 GB drives ??

At any rate, I want to buy a 6 TB or a 8 TB WD My Book USB3 external HD to consolidate all data onto one drive. I remember reading the spec on a Panasonic Smart TV that stated 4 TB was the largest HD that TV would recognize. Does anybody know what is the largest HD the JS8500 will recognize ?
That is a good question. My 3TB Passport works just fine. That is the largest external drive I own so far. If nobody else knows, I will do an online chat with Samsung and see if they know.
TravisBean likes this.
post #19788 of 24352 Old 07-26-2016, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Disabling "Samsung Extra" pop-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandaphunk View Post
Hey guys every time I watch movies through my Apple TV I see the annoying Samsung Extra pop up in the right corner every five minutes. It wants me to choose a TV provider which I do not have since all I do is stream. Any ideas how to disable this annoying pop up?
Try this:

1. Press EXTRA button on remote control and wait for the EXTRA pop-up menu to appear.
2. Scroll down to "Settings" category and press the Enter button on remote control.
3. Click the "General" category.
4. Un-tick the "EXTRA Content Indicator" checkbox. (I also have the "Allow Notifications in EXTRA" checkbox un-ticked, but if you only want to prevent the pop-up from appearing while watching the TV, then un-ticking the first checkbox should be sufficient.)
post #19789 of 24352 Old 07-26-2016, 07:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 845 Post(s)
Liked: 364
So any update on if the JS8500 will get Netflix HDR or Tizen 2?

65JS8500, P50-C1, K8500, SB3851 Soundbar, Nvidia Shield, PS4
post #19790 of 24352 Old 07-26-2016, 07:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked: 654
Quote:

just a side note... consolidation is a good idea, but you really want to think about getting a backup drive for it. unless you like using all your data at once
TravisBean likes this.

Sony xbr65x850c Side Blooming test clips:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...br65x850c.xlsx
post #19791 of 24352 Old 07-26-2016, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by buju22 View Post
So any update on if the JS8500 will get Netflix HDR or Tizen 2?

65JS8500, P50-C1, K8500, SB3851 Soundbar, Nvidia Shield, PS4
I have been waiting a year for that update and stopped holding my breath. After I pick up my Xbox 1 S in a few weeks, I will never use that POS smart hub on the js8500 again.
post #19792 of 24352 Old 07-27-2016, 02:35 AM
Advanced Member

External hard drive size limitation

Quote:
I want to buy a 6 TB or a 8 TB WD My Book USB3 external HD to consolidate all data onto one drive. I remember reading the spec on a Panasonic Smart TV that stated 4 TB was the largest HD that TV would recognize. Does anybody know what is the largest HD the JS8500 will recognize ?
Quote:
That is a good question. My 3TB Passport works just fine. That is the largest external drive I own so far. If nobody else knows, I will do an online chat with Samsung and see if they know.
I couldn't find any maximum size specs in the E-Manual, only the following bullet items under the "Limitations on use of photo, video, and music files" section:

* The TV supports MSC (Mass Storage Class) USB devices only. MSC is a class designation for mass storage devices. Types of MSC devices include external hard drives, flash card readers, and digital cameras. (USB hubs are not supported.) These kinds of devices must be connected directly to the TV's USB port. The TV may not be able to recognize a USB device or read the files on the device if it is connected to the TV via a USB extension cable. Do not disconnect USB devices while they are transferring files.

* When connecting an external hard drive, use the USB (HDD) port. We recommend that you use an external hard drive with its own power adapter.

* If there are multiple USB devices connected to the TV, the TV might not be able to recognize some or all the devices. USB devices that use high-power input should be connected to the USB [5V, 1A] port.

* The TV supports the FAT, exFAT, and NTFS file systems.

* After sorting files in the Folder view mode, the TV can display up to 1000 files per folder. If the USB device contains more than 8,000 files and folders, however, some files and folders might not be accessible.

* Be sure to connect USB or external hard drives that support USB 3.0, to the USB 3.0 port.

* Certain files, depending on how they are encoded, may not play on the TV.

* Certain files are not supported on all models.

I did, however, find a Samsung Smart TV hard drive compatibility document dated January 29, 2016, on an Aussie owner support site, and even though it does not mention the JS 8 Series directly, the hard drive limitation information contained therein might still apply. Here is the link:

http://www.samsung.com/au/support/skp/faq/1077883

And here is a PC World article from August of 2012 that also discusses external USB hard drive size limitations for certain TVs (may not apply given that the article is now 4 years old, but still an interesting read):

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/articl...d_tv_usb_port/

Hopefully someone will find out the definitive answer for the JS8500 and let the rest of us know.

Last edited by 4K Tech; 07-27-2016 at 02:41 AM.
post #19793 of 24352 Old 07-27-2016, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 142
I find it strange that usually the website would show the most current firmware but right now it does not. Normally the website would make the firmware available first then roll out OTA. Wonder if our set wasnt even supposed to get 1460.
post #19794 of 24352 Old 07-27-2016, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for all the info on hard drives, I appreciate it.
(on my samsung LN52B630, if you had a folder that contained more than 1000 files, the folder would only indicate 999 as being available, but the drive still worked)

Last edited by TravisBean; 07-27-2016 at 09:29 AM.
post #19795 of 24352 Old 07-27-2016, 09:28 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix123 View Post
I find it strange that usually the website would show the most current firmware but right now it does not. Normally the website would make the firmware available first then roll out OTA. Wonder if our set wasnt even supposed to get 1460.
I found that curious too.

Samsung 55" JS8500
7.1 Setup:
Onkyo TX-NR646, Chane A1.4 & A2.4 (LCR), Yamaha NS-IC600 surr, TDG Audio NFC-61 back surr, SVS SB-2000
Samsung K8500, Roku Premiere+ and Roku 2, Harmony 650
post #19796 of 24352 Old 07-27-2016, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 20
This may come across as genuinely silly, but I have a dog that likes to shake her head after drinking water. This of course throws little splashes of dog slobber pretty much all over, and sometimes the TV gets a good dose. Using an anti-static cloth is not enough to get these post-slobber spots off of the TV screen. Does anyone know the best way to wet-clean the TV screen? That slobber dries pretty quick and is quite annoying when the light hits the screen just right.

"A skilled TV repairman, or the shop in which you buy your set, can detach the audio section of the unit from the amplifier and plug it into your hi-fi rig." - Martin Mayer, Hi-Fi, 1956
post #19797 of 24352 Old 07-27-2016, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I found these calibration settings at lcdtvbuyingguide.com

Picture Mode Movie

Backlight 15
Contrast 93
Brightness 48
Sharpness 5
Color 50
Tint G50/R50

Advanced Settings

Dynamic Contrast Low
Black Tone Off
RGB Only Off
Flesh Tone 0
Color Space Auto
White Balance See below 2pt. Settings
10pt White Balance Off
Gamma 0
Expert Pattern Off
Motion Lighting Disabled
Black Enhancer Off

CMS Color System Submenu
No adjustment

Picture Options
Color Tone Warm2*
*If the colors seem too warm (red tones too strong) after using with these settings for a day or two then change to Warm 1. There is some preference involved.
Digital Clean View Auto
MPEG Noise Filter Off
HDMI Black Level Disabled in Movie Mode
Film Mode Auto 1
AutoMotion Plus Off or Custom
Smart LED Standard
Cinema Black On

White Balance Submenu
R-Offset 24
G-Offset 25
B-Offset 26
R-Gain 23
G-Gain 26
B-Gain 24

Comments ?
post #19798 of 24352 Old 07-27-2016, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Laurent View Post
This may come across as genuinely silly, but I have a dog that likes to shake her head after drinking water. This of course throws little splashes of dog slobber pretty much all over, and sometimes the TV gets a good dose. Using an anti-static cloth is not enough to get these post-slobber spots off of the TV screen. Does anyone know the best way to wet-clean the TV screen? That slobber dries pretty quick and is quite annoying when the light hits the screen just right.
Turn off your tv and let it cool down. Use a microfiber type cloth, one dry and one to get wet. Put distilled water in a spray bottle, add a bit of white vinegar if you want. Spray one of the microfiber cloths with it to lightly wet it. Gently wipe down your screen and then use the dry microfiber cloth to get rid of any moisture left over. For getting into the corners simply use a Q-tip, one side wet and the other dry.
dlbsyst and Dick Laurent like this.
post #19799 of 24352 Old 07-27-2016, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Supported File Types (video resolutions and codecs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by markiz2001 View Post

You can find "Video Resolutions and Codecs Supported File Types" info here (not sure it directly answers all of your questions though):

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00045927/
markiz2001 likes this.
post #19800 of 24352 Old 07-27-2016, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 228
For those of you picking up an Xbox 1S for your js8500, we have an individual in the Xbox thread that just got his Xbox one S early in Norway and the kicker is that he doesn't have a 4K option in the video settings. His max settings are 1080p on his 4K TV. Looks like the Xbox one S is a 1080p console out of the box until there's a day one patch for it. So for those of you that might not have Internet access be advised.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
JS8500 , reflection , screen flashing black

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page