**OFFICIAL** 2015 Samsung 4K SUHD JS8500 Series TV Thread - Page 713 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9639Likes

post #21361 of 23872 Old 12-07-2016, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristian_ro View Post
i dont understand what "better" for you means? bias light is enhancing the contrast by tricking your eyes by the light around/behind the tv.
It stops your eyes from constantly adjusting so it helps even things out when going from dark to bright and vice versa, reduces eye strain too. Also this TV could use some help with contrast ratio. The blacks are far from perfect. If you think they're perfect you should check out Samsung's newer lineup or even better one of LG's OLED sets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21362 of 23872 Old 12-07-2016, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathloki View Post
It stops your eyes from constantly adjusting so it helps even things out when going from dark to bright and vice versa, reduces eye strain too. Also this TV could use some help with contrast ratio. The blacks are far from perfect. If you think they're perfect you should check out Samsung's newer lineup or even better one of LG's OLED sets.
yeah play some cable content on those OLED tvs ...you won't be impressed anymore. LG processing sucks!
post #21363 of 23872 Old 12-07-2016, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 22
After calibrating my JS8500, I feel like the blues might be too bright, even after resetting blue and cyan to their default values. What might be causing this? Here is a picture i have for example. Top picture on image is set to auto. Middle picture on image is set to Native. Bottom picture on image is my calibrated settings.

https://imgur.com/gallery/8ddAD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21364 of 23872 Old 12-07-2016, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
yeah play some cable content on those OLED tvs ...you won't be impressed anymore. LG processing sucks!
Cable looks like crap on anything, especially Comcast. That's not my point. Even UHD-BD doesn't get nearly as black as I would like on this TV. OLED however....
post #21365 of 23872 Old 12-07-2016, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:

Exactly. The eyestrain is my primary concern. Besides, I already have the lights installed, so him telling me I don't need them really didn't address my question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scenic Labs View Post
I can render a test pattern that demonstrates maximum brightness for ambient light. You can then just cast it your TV or maybe I'll post it on youtube if you can access it via the TV.

Thanks for the offer! I would really appreciate this. I downloaded the test pattern on the avsforum disc, but it was extremely difficult to use.
King Richard likes this.
post #21366 of 23872 Old 12-07-2016, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Cable looks like crap on anything, especially Comcast. That's not my point. Even UHD-BD doesn't get nearly as black as I would like on this TV. OLED however....
how inky do you want the blacks? mine are pretty damn black lol. ill take a picture and post it
post #21367 of 23872 Old 12-07-2016, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobPT45 View Post
Exactly. The eyestrain is my primary concern. Besides, I already have the lights installed, so him telling me I don't need them really didn't address my question
Indeed. BTW what app did you use to get exactly 6500k and that gives you 0-255 brightness? I was considering getting a hue strip for bias lighting but I didn't think you could be so exact with it.
post #21368 of 23872 Old 12-07-2016, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
how inky do you want the blacks? mine are pretty damn black lol. ill take a picture and post it
Oh good lord, how would you convey this with a picture? In any case the blacks are frequently not terribly inky, in fact they look the inkiest during bright scenes (same effect as bias lighting.) if you see any modicum of light coming from a pure black source it could be better. In any case I'm not having this argument. You are objectively wrong if you think this is as good as it gets.
post #21369 of 23872 Old 12-07-2016, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Indeed. BTW what app did you use to get exactly 6500k and that gives you 0-255 brightness? I was considering getting a hue strip for bias lighting but I didn't think you could be so exact with it.

I use the API tool discussed on the Philips Hue website:

https://developers.meethue.com/

It requires a (free) login and some basic programming language that they spell out for you quite clearly. I'm by no means an expert at this stuff and was able to figure it out.
post #21370 of 23872 Old 12-07-2016, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobPT45 View Post
I use the API tool discussed on the Philips Hue website:

https://developers.meethue.com/

It requires a (free) login and some basic programming language that they spell out for you quite clearly. I'm by no means an expert at this stuff and was able to figure it out.
I'll check it out, thanks.
post #21371 of 23872 Old 12-07-2016, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Oh good lord, how would you convey this with a picture? In any case the blacks are frequently not terribly inky, in fact they look the inkiest during bright scenes (same effect as bias lighting.) if you see any modicum of light coming from a pure black source it could be better. In any case I'm not having this argument. You are objectively wrong if you think this is as good as it gets.
so you expect a 0 black (pure black) on your dark scenes on a EDGE lit tv
post #21372 of 23872 Old 12-07-2016, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quick question for those who know or have a PS4 pro. Which color space should be used? Auto or Native. Thanks.
post #21373 of 23872 Old 12-07-2016, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
so you expect a 0 black (pure black) on your dark scenes on a EDGE lit tv
You need to improve your reading comprehension. I said nothing of the sort. I'm saying that you'll only get those kind of black levels on an OLED. This brings me back to my point of bias lighting making the image look better on this TV, because the black levels AREN'T perfect.
post #21374 of 23872 Old 12-07-2016, 10:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Every time my UN65JS8500 turns on, it forces the AVR to switch to the ARC input, even though I haven't loaded any smart apps yet and actually want to have it go to the last input it was on (the Xbox One).

TV HDMI 4 (ARC) <--> Yamaha TSR-7810 (Costco RX-V781) HDMI 1 OUT
Xbox One S --> Yamaha HDMI 1 IN
TiVo --> Xbox One S

"Xbox On", Xbox powers on the TV (and through it receiver thanks to CEC), and once the TV comes on, I see the video from Xbox One (and in turn, the TiVo). The audio source switches to the TV, but I still get video from Xbox/TiVo because reasons. Sometimes, I get brief audio before the TV forces the Yamaha to switch to "AV 4" (the default name for ARC in), but not always. I have to pick up the Yamaha remote and manually select HDMI 1 to get audio back.

I could just use Toslink from the TV to the AVR, but I was hoping that switching would work correctly, for WAF. In the bedroom we have a Vizio M43-C1 and Vizio soundbar and it switches correctly and then when done with the TV app switches back to the soundbar's normal HDMI input (which is also an Xbox One).
post #21375 of 23872 Old 12-08-2016, 06:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibimakai View Post
I'm having problem setting up, the TV input selection type.
There are three variants, pushing the source multiple times, pushing source and then left or right arrows and the last one is direct HDMI input selection(from memory).
I have tried all three versions, and it is still changing the input the same way.
I have noticed the same thing, that the TV does not have HDMI 4. I was thinking, that maybe that is a problem and that is why I can't set up properly the remote.
With the Smart Hub, I have to remove the input selection, thanks for that. I have it wrong now.
Direct HDMI input is the only one for this tv.

Post your full setup of the activity as it stands now. i.e. take a screen shot or write everything down. If you've done everything correct, then you will not see the source menu pop up on the screen, just the HDMI entry.

Do you have the model of the tv correct? js8500?

what other devices do you have in your system?

Sony xbr65x850c Side Blooming test clips:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...br65x850c.xlsx
post #21376 of 23872 Old 12-08-2016, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioSehnsucht View Post
Every time my UN65JS8500 turns on, it forces the AVR to switch to the ARC input, even though I haven't loaded any smart apps yet and actually want to have it go to the last input it was on (the Xbox One).

TV HDMI 4 (ARC) <--> Yamaha TSR-7810 (Costco RX-V781) HDMI 1 OUT
Xbox One S --> Yamaha HDMI 1 IN
TiVo --> Xbox One S

"Xbox On", Xbox powers on the TV (and through it receiver thanks to CEC), and once the TV comes on, I see the video from Xbox One (and in turn, the TiVo). The audio source switches to the TV, but I still get video from Xbox/TiVo because reasons. Sometimes, I get brief audio before the TV forces the Yamaha to switch to "AV 4" (the default name for ARC in), but not always. I have to pick up the Yamaha remote and manually select HDMI 1 to get audio back.

I could just use Toslink from the TV to the AVR, but I was hoping that switching would work correctly, for WAF. In the bedroom we have a Vizio M43-C1 and Vizio soundbar and it switches correctly and then when done with the TV app switches back to the soundbar's normal HDMI input (which is also an Xbox One).
1. Please search this thread for ARC. been discussed 1000x.
2. ARC requires the AVR to be on the TV input.
3. Samsung is evil and forces all AVRs to switch to the tv input, REGARDLESS of whatever you want, at startup... usually after 30 seconds.
4. you might be able to plug some HDMI source into HDMI 3 on the tv, which MIGHT stop it from switching, but it's unlikely.
5. there are a few receivers that have an option to ignore this initial command, but it creates other issues.
6. plug your xbox into the tv direct is an option.

post #21377 of 23872 Old 12-08-2016, 07:56 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I'm not home right now, but I have the 65JS8500, Directv Mini(directly connected to the TV's HDMI 1), WD Live media player and Blueray player, through Onkyo TX-NR646. These are connected to HDMI 4 on the TV, because that is the ARC input.
I will take some screenshots when I get home.
Thanks for trying to help, I appreciate it a lot.
I'm getting very frustrated with this remote. I have answered all the questions, when I have set it up and it's not working as I expect it too.
post #21378 of 23872 Old 12-08-2016, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm not home right now, but I have the 65JS8500, Directv Mini(directly connected to the TV's HDMI 1), WD Live media player and Blueray player, through Onkyo TX-NR646. These are connected to HDMI 4 on the TV, because that is the ARC input.
I will take some screenshots when I get home.
Thanks for trying to help, I appreciate it a lot.
I'm getting very frustrated with this remote. I have answered all the questions, when I have set it up and it's not working as I expect it too.
mine works perfect. I have a more complicated setup. I can understand how it could be difficult to get right. took me quite a few days.

FYI: there is a harmony elite thread: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/93-rem...ony-elite.html

post #21379 of 23872 Old 12-08-2016, 09:22 AM

I have been fighting with this for a while now, on and off.
I have tried in the past the 650 and the 700 remotes, with no complete success and I have just sold them on CL.
I was expecting more from it, at this price range.
It is pretty hard to find settings, for example you told me to make it that it doesn't change inputs when in Smart Hub activity. I can't find that setting. I guess I will have to delete it and redo it, maybe it will ask me there.
post #21380 of 23872 Old 12-08-2016, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richard View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Camara View Post
I picked up the PS4 Pro a week ago and I when the console works it is fantastic but here is the issue I am having with the JS8500 and the PS4 Pro..Now keep in mind I also have the Xbox One S with no issues.

1)If I have UHD Color ON and I start up the PS4 I will always get a black screen and then the Source input message will appear saying no signal.
2) However as soon as I turn UHD Color off I get a signal and the PlayStation menu displays fine...however without UHD Color on I can't get HDR.
3) So once I access the PS4 menu I then turn UHD Color On, at this moment the TV will restart and I will get a black screen...the picture will Flash the PS4 Menu on and off for about 1-2 minutes sporadically and will eventually stabilize and I can enjoy HDR gaming...which looks amazing.
4) But when I turn off the PS4 I have to repeat this process every time...I am afraid that doing this will ruin my TV or PS4

I am using the HDMI cable that came with the PS4 pro and connecting directly to the Connect Box. I guess I could try the Xbox One S HDMI or buy new HDMI's. But wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue. I have the TV set to auto-update and same with the PS4 pro so everything should be up to date.

Do you have your PS4 Pro set to output YUV 4:2:0 ? (RGB Full will cause problems.)

You should NOT change the TV's "HDMI UHD Color" setting "on-the-fly" like that. Turn everything OFF. Unplug the PS4's HDMI cable from the TV. Turn ON the TV and turn ON the "HDMI UHD Color" setting for that 1 input and wait for the TV to reboot. Turn OFF the TV again. Plug the HDMI cable back in and restart everything.

Then try your HDR game again with the PS4 Pro output set to YUV 4:2:0.

Richard
Should DYNAMIC contrast be set to low or medium when gaming HDR on PS4 pro? And shouldn't the correct setting be RGB over YUV for gaming? Thanks
post #21381 of 23872 Old 12-08-2016, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp787 View Post
1. Please search this thread for ARC. been discussed 1000x.
2. ARC requires the AVR to be on the TV input.
3. Samsung is evil and forces all AVRs to switch to the tv input, REGARDLESS of whatever you want, at startup... usually after 30 seconds.
4. you might be able to plug some HDMI source into HDMI 3 on the tv, which MIGHT stop it from switching, but it's unlikely.
5. there are a few receivers that have an option to ignore this initial command, but it creates other issues.
6. plug your xbox into the tv direct is an option.
I did search, but nothing seemed to specifically address this issue other than "turn off ARC".

I guess I can try connecting the HDMI 2 OUT from the AVR HDMI 3 on the TV, if it might help.
post #21382 of 23872 Old 12-08-2016, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioSehnsucht View Post
I did search, but nothing seemed to specifically address this issue other than "turn off ARC".

I guess I can try connecting the HDMI 2 OUT from the AVR HDMI 3 on the TV, if it might help.
there's no real solution right now other than that answer except a) use a logitech harmony remote to deal with it -or- b) move your xbox to the TV HDMI3 port -or- c) turn off arc.

I'm slowly working on a device to capture the command from the tv to stop this from happening, but it's a REALLY slow process for me.

post #21383 of 23872 Old 12-08-2016, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have been fighting with this for a while now, on and off.
I have tried in the past the 650 and the 700 remotes, with no complete success and I have just sold them on CL.
I was expecting more from it, at this price range.
It is pretty hard to find settings, for example you told me to make it that it doesn't change inputs when in Smart Hub activity. I can't find that setting. I guess I will have to delete it and redo it, maybe it will ask me there.
it's an option right in the page that asks "what input to use", you select "I do not set an an input".

I've attached a few screen shots. 1 is for my watch TV activity. The other two are for my WatchSmartTv Activity.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WatchTvSettingsCapture.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	1817577   Click image for larger version

Name:	WatchTVBriefSettings.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	1817585   Click image for larger version

Name:	WatchTVBriefSettings2.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	1817593   Click image for larger version

Name:	TVInputCapture.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	1817601   Click image for larger version

Name:	SamsungTVDeviceSettingsInput1.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	1817609  

Name:	SamsungTVDeviceSettingsInput2.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	1817617   Click image for larger version

Name:	SamsungTVDeviceSettingsInput3a.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	1817625   Click image for larger version

Name:	SamsungTVDeviceSettingsInput3b.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	1817633   Click image for larger version

Name:	SamsungTVDeviceSettingsDelaySettings.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	1817641   Click image for larger version

Name:	SamsungTVDeviceSettingsCommanRepeats.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	1817649  

Name:	WatchSmartTvSettingsCapture.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	1817657   Click image for larger version

Name:	WatchSmartTvPowerOffSettingsCapture.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	1817665   Click image for larger version

Name:	SamsungTVDevicesSettingsPage.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	1817673   Click image for larger version

Name:	SamsungTVDeviceSettingsPowerCapture.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	1817681  
MALICIOUS ONE likes this.

post #21384 of 23872 Old 12-08-2016, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
So i got back from vacation yesterday to find that all 4 of my HDMI ports are reporting 'No Signal'

I'm on software version: 1464

Has this happened to anyone else?

I have a UN55JS8500 that I bought new in March.
post #21385 of 23872 Old 12-08-2016, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 17
^ I got this yesterday too. I unplugged the cable that went into the mini (coming from the tv) and upon reconnecting it, I had my signal as normal.
King Richard likes this.
post #21386 of 23872 Old 12-08-2016, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiamSevier View Post
^ I got this yesterday too. I unplugged the cable that went into the mini (coming from the tv) and upon reconnecting it, I had my signal as normal.
Weird, I've unplugged mine 30 times, and have also done a factory reset. To no avail. Smarthub works fine.
post #21387 of 23872 Old 12-08-2016, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heymonroe View Post
Weird, I've unplugged mine 30 times, and have also done a factory reset. To no avail. Smarthub works fine.
unplug the tv. then disconnect the One Connect box and re-connect it. make sure it's seated properly on both ends.

post #21388 of 23872 Old 12-08-2016, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heymonroe View Post
did you unplug the OCM's cable between the OCM and the tv or just the power?

post #21389 of 23872 Old 12-08-2016, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp787 View Post
did you unplug the OCM's cable between the OCM and the tv or just the power?
Both. I've also unplugged the TV for 10 minutes with all the hdmi ports unplugged. I think I've tried every combination of unplugging/reseating?
post #21390 of 23872 Old 12-08-2016, 12:09 PM

Thanks bp787, for all those pictures. They are very helpful.
I will go through my setup and make the changes and see what happens.
I see that for the inputs, you have selected option, 3 with direct inputs. The TV's remote is not working like that.
But, I will give it a try. Maybe, this is why, it keeps jumping for me, because I selected Direction Left and Direction Right, to select the right input.
Can I ask, why do you use HDMI 3 instead of 4? You are not using ARC? HDMI 4, is the ARC input for this TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
JS8500 , reflection , screen flashing black

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page