**OFFICIAL** 2015 Samsung 4K SUHD JS8500 Series TV Thread - Page 749 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9639Likes

post #22441 of 23873 Old 04-20-2017, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 250
I would love to see HDR10+ but yeah, the processing power probably is definitely lacking in the 2015 JS models. we thought we would get Tizen 2.0, than it was revealed it was to much for the JS series to power
jfwilliams1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22442 of 23873 Old 04-21-2017, 10:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey, recently I did an update on the TV and it's now on 1490. Since the update I have a problem with the sound. I use an old DENON amp for my stereo speakers and it doesn't have an optical input. I got a DAC off amazon and it was working ok till now. When the sound comes from the satellite TV or the Spotify app it's working fine. When the sound is from YouTube or Netflix all heard is a loud buzzing sound. My conclusion is that the DAC can't convert the audio signal and all I get is noise. I tried messing with the audio settings etc but had no positive result. Do you have any idea of a possible fix? I even messed with the Netflix audio and change it from 5.1 to stereo and still nothing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #22443 of 23873 Old 04-21-2017, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by stavari View Post
Hey, recently I did an update on the TV and it's now on 1490. Since the update I have a problem with the sound. I use an old DENON amp for my stereo speakers and it doesn't have an optical input. I got a DAC off amazon and it was working ok till now. When the sound comes from the satellite TV or the Spotify app it's working fine. When the sound is from YouTube or Netflix all heard is a loud buzzing sound. My conclusion is that the DAC can't convert the audio signal and all I get is noise. I tried messing with the audio settings etc but had no positive result. Do you have any idea of a possible fix? I even messed with the Netflix audio and change it from 5.1 to stereo and still nothing...

Have you tried using the headphone jack. You could get a headphone jack to rca audio cord.

UN48JS8500 UN55HU6950 w/SEK-3500U UN40HU6950 w/SEK-3500U UBD-K8500 UN37C5000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22444 of 23873 Old 04-21-2017, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePrisoner View Post
I would love to see HDR10+ but yeah, the processing power probably is definitely lacking in the 2015 JS models. we thought we would get Tizen 2.0, than it was revealed it was to much for the JS series to power
I doubt the lack of power is the issue with tizen, more likely lack of interest.
ThePrisoner and JGrana like this.

UN48JS8500 UN55HU6950 w/SEK-3500U UN40HU6950 w/SEK-3500U UBD-K8500 UN37C5000
post #22445 of 23873 Old 04-21-2017, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by stavari View Post

Are you connecting an optical cable from TV/OCM box to the DAC? If so have you tried changing the TV sound format from anything digital (Dolby/DTS) to PCM? In the sound menu there are two Audio formats. If you you are using the optical, you need to change the "Audio Format" (not the "HDMI audio format) to compatible mode. Also turn off HD Audio.

post #22446 of 23873 Old 04-24-2017, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I was having issue with the sound menu popping up by itself, hit return and it would clear and the pop right back up, and when I would select the channel list the options menu for the channel would display as soon as list came up. Same as the other menu it would pop right back up. I was watching Time Scanners on PBS last night converted to 3d. I couldn't get the menu to stay up when I was trying to turn 3d off. I did a factory, for the first time, and still had the issues. Pop batteries out of remote, press buttons to see if one stuck but nothing found. This morning I noticed the keyboard leaning against the leg of a stool. Well after 3 days of messing with the TV and getting quite aggregated at the issue the problem has been resolved. Lesson learned... Turn the darn keyboard off when not in use!
I have OTA for TV. Channels that have a HD transmission at 1080 convert to 3d pretty good. 720 is so so, and anything less than that is not good. Unfortunately, there are only few stations providing a 1080 signal in the Tampa/St. Pete area. Fox here is only 720. Bet Gotham that restarts tonight would look cool in 3d. Is on fox sadly. A 1080 signal is so much better than a 720. Really noticeable in both visual and sound quality. Hope the lagging stations catch up soon.

BTW, the programs that are not recorded in HD do not display 3d well, even though sent on a HD transmission. Devices that up convert, whether a cable box or avr, will have inconsistent 3d quality due to same. Of course, this is just observations on my part, not a scientific prognosis!

Last edited by Copspop; 04-24-2017 at 09:14 AM.
post #22447 of 23873 Old 04-24-2017, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 30
**OFFICIAL** 2015 Samsung 4K SUHD JS8500 Series TV Thread

I'm getting the black screen for a second or 2 every night, used to be one every 3 days or so now every night. I have Best Buy's warranty they're sending me a new one connect mini to try that first, if that doesn't work they'll send out geek squad to check. Who knows if the problem persists, I'm gonna exchange it for the new vizio p series.

post #22448 of 23873 Old 04-24-2017, 08:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copspop View Post
I was having issue with the sound menu popping up by itself, hit return and it would clear and the pop right back up, and when I would select the channel list the options menu for the channel would display as soon as list came up. Same as the other menu it would pop right back up. I was watching Time Scanners on PBS last night converted to 3d. I couldn't get the menu to stay up when I was trying to turn 3d off. I did a factory, for the first time, and still had the issues. Pop batteries out of remote, press buttons to see if one stuck but nothing found. This morning I noticed the keyboard leaning against the leg of a stool. Well after 3 days of messing with the TV and getting quite aggregated at the issue the problem has been resolved. Lesson learned... Turn the darn keyboard off when not in use!
I have OTA for TV. Channels that have a HD transmission at 1080 convert to 3d pretty good. 720 is so so, and anything less than that is not good. Unfortunately, there are only few stations providing a 1080 signal in the Tampa/St. Pete area. Fox here is only 720. Bet Gotham that restarts tonight would look cool in 3d. Is on fox sadly. A 1080 signal is so much better than a 720. Really noticeable in both visual and sound quality. Hope the lagging stations catch up soon.

BTW, the programs that are not recorded in HD do not display 3d well, even though sent on a HD transmission. Devices that up convert, whether a cable box or avr, will have inconsistent 3d quality due to same. Of course, this is just observations on my part, not a scientific prognosis!
Glad to hear you're enjoying the excellent 3d capabilities of this set. I'm a big fan of 3d.
King Richard likes this.
post #22449 of 23873 Old 04-24-2017, 08:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

post #22450 of 23873 Old 04-25-2017, 03:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 250
It's amazing how the this thread along with the KS8000 thread are so big with 20,000+ posts, compared to other displays. Vizio M series is also up there I think. Wow!
TravisBean and King Richard like this.
post #22451 of 23873 Old 04-26-2017, 02:17 AM
Lionheart of AVS

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked: 4367
"Color Volume" article: Revised and Expanded!

Hey guys,

For those of you who liked my "Color Volume" article, I wanted to let you know that I have made further revisions and additions to it this week.

I added a lot of extra material to most of the sections - including additional info and lots more images and illustrations. I also added 2 brand new sections to it and made a few changes and improvements to some of the previous material.

I also took this opportunity to correct a few small mistakes that were bothering me and do a bit of reformatting. (Hey, I happen to be a perfectionist, with perhaps a little bit of OCD thrown-in for good measure. In fact, you will notice that a lot of my posts on the Forum often have a "Last edited by" footnote at the bottom of them - many of those "edits" are often only to correct a small spelling mistake or something stupid like that. )

Additionally, I decided to take the advice of my friend @mrtickleuk and change the print size of my "Notes" (except for the very first one), which were too small and hard for some to read (they looked fine in the browser I was using, but viewing them in a different browser I noticed they were indeed quite small). I instead used a different "Font" to make them stand out.

I am planning to start working on "Part 2" of my article hopefully this coming weekend (which will be the 2nd Post of my Color Volume Thread that I currently have marked as "Reserved!"). I plan to have it finished sometime next week if all goes well.

So stay tuned!

P.S. I apologize for the long post. Sorry!

[Click the LINK below to go to the article.]

>What is Color Volume?<

Thank you for reading!

Richard
post #22452 of 23873 Old 04-26-2017, 05:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 153
HDR 10+ could easily be processed outboard. It is essentially just a frame by frame rendering system. The frame is still 4k WCG. You just need to have a tone map of the display. It is an open system. It could be done in a set top box. If you haver ever seen madvr on a pc you can get an idea of an advanced rendering system. Now whether any commercial product will come forward is a separate question.
TravisBean and King Richard like this.
post #22453 of 23873 Old 04-28-2017, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
This has nothing to do with tech specs, color tuning, etc but has anyone actually beat the JS8500 at the Connect 4 game in the Extra section?? Swear this thing cheats.
post #22454 of 23873 Old 04-28-2017, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaink5217 View Post
I'm getting the black screen for a second or 2 every night, used to be one every 3 days or so now every night. I have Best Buy's warranty they're sending me a new one connect mini to try that first, if that doesn't work they'll send out geek squad to check. Who knows if the problem persists, I'm gonna exchange it for the new vizio p series.

I'm having the same issue. It's been happening ever since I got it, and nothing seems to fix it, even a factory reset. I've tried 2 different receivers too (Yamaha and Denon).

Does anyone else have this issue or figured out how to fix it?
post #22455 of 23873 Old 04-28-2017, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombipuppy View Post
I'm having the same issue. It's been happening ever since I got it, and nothing seems to fix it, even a factory reset. I've tried 2 different receivers too (Yamaha and Denon).

Does anyone else have this issue or figured out how to fix it?

It's not the receivers it's the tv, mine has been doing this since maybe a week into ownership, I thought it was just bad firmware and would be fixed as time went on but nope, luckily I have a Best Buy warranty, I called last week and they sent me a new one connect to see if that works, got the black screen again after that, next step call again for a house visit, from what I've seen on other message boards I don't have high hopes anything will solve this so I may be shopping for a new tv after these attempts, thankfully the warranty covers a new tv if necessary.

post #22456 of 23873 Old 04-29-2017, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I just got my tv back from repairs, a new board was replaced and screen. Now I'm seeing white dots flash across the screen. I heard it could be the DLP chip. My question is if this is the case will the white specs be random? For example if I rewind I'll will see the spot flicker in the same spot at the same time. I'm leaning towards it's an issue with the content on tv not the tv itself
post #22457 of 23873 Old 04-29-2017, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Quoted: 1957 Post(s)
Liked: 3254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Laboy View Post
I just got my tv back from repairs, a new board was replaced and screen. Now I'm seeing white dots flash across the screen. I heard it could be the DLP chip. My question is if this is the case will the white specs be random? For example if I rewind I'll will see the spot flicker in the same spot at the same time. I'm leaning towards it's an issue with the content on tv not the tv itself
There is no DLP chip in the TV.
King Richard likes this.

Definition of "Stupid": Knowing the truth, seeing the truth, but still believing the lies.
post #22458 of 23873 Old 04-30-2017, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Laboy View Post
1. This isn't a DLP tv.

2. The easy way to test is to, uh, change the channel. do you still see spots? if not, then it's the content. And yeah, if you see spots in the recording in the same location, then it's the content.
King Richard likes this.

Sony xbr65x850c Side Blooming test clips:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...br65x850c.xlsx
post #22459 of 23873 Old 05-01-2017, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wanted to know if there is a OCB evolution kit available for UN65JS8500 ?

Sorry if this has been asked before but wanted to see if there is a evolution kit available for the JS8500, thanks.
post #22460 of 23873 Old 05-01-2017, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Have any of you experienced red smudges through it the screen that won't go away?

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
post #22461 of 23873 Old 05-01-2017, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyf13 View Post
Sorry if this has been asked before but wanted to see if there is a evolution kit available for the JS8500, thanks.
Samsung has discontinued (at least for the foreseeable future) offering Evolution Kits for its TVs. Perhaps once new hardware is required for UHD/HDR compatibility (such as HDMI 2.1) they may consider doing so, but as of this writing they are not committing to anything.
freddyf13 and King Richard like this.

Definition of "Stupid": Knowing the truth, seeing the truth, but still believing the lies.
post #22462 of 23873 Old 05-01-2017, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post
Samsung has discontinued (at least for the foreseeable future) offering Evolution Kits for its TVs. Perhaps once new hardware is required for UHD/HDR compatibility (such as HDMI 2.1) they may consider doing so, but as of this writing they are not committing to anything.
so basically Samsung never release any kit for these sets
post #22463 of 23873 Old 05-01-2017, 03:28 PM
Lionheart of AVS

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked: 4367
Quote:

Unfortunately, NO

Sorry!

Richard
post #22464 of 23873 Old 05-01-2017, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Wanted to know if there is a OCB evolution kit available for UN65JS8500 ?

Quote:
Quote:
No, not for the 2015 JS series. Check out the following two links:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post48834905

http://www.tizenexperts.com/2016/01/...hanged-needed/
freddyf13 likes this.
post #22465 of 23873 Old 05-01-2017, 06:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Eh, no need. The JS8500 is nearly perfect as is.
srijan likes this.
post #22466 of 23873 Old 05-01-2017, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisBean View Post
Eh, no need. The JS8500 is nearly perfect as is.
Yeah it's good, almost as good as a JS8600. 😉
TravisBean likes this.
post #22467 of 23873 Old 05-02-2017, 05:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've lurked this thread for some months, but this is my first forum post here... So, hello to everyone!

I know that after a lot of delays, some months ago a new Netflix app with HDR support was finally published for our TV set.

Unfortunately, as far as I know, this app is not yet available here in Europe (I'm writing from Italy).

Does anyone have updated info about this? I'm starting to doubt that an updated Netflix app with HDR support will be released here in Europe (my app is still of January 2016 - old Netflix logo...).

Thanks to everyone for the help!!!
post #22468 of 23873 Old 05-02-2017, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganon78 View Post
I've lurked this thread for some months, but this is my first forum post here... So, hello to everyone!

I know that after a lot of delays, some months ago a new Netflix app with HDR support was finally published for our TV set.

Unfortunately, as far as I know, this app is not yet available here in Europe (I'm writing from Italy).

Does anyone have updated info about this? I'm starting to doubt that an updated Netflix app with HDR support will be released here in Europe (my app is still of January 2016 - old Netflix logo...).

Thanks to everyone for the help!!!
According to what I was told a few months ago, the UK/Europe/Australia market should have this update available over the network sometime in May/June.

post #22469 of 23873 Old 05-02-2017, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post
According to what I was told a few months ago, the UK/Europe/Australia market should have this update available over the network sometime in May/June.
Thanks for the info. I hope that the deadline will be respected and that we European won't be forgotten.
post #22470 of 23873 Old 05-02-2017, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 15
is it possible to get sound from the TV apps using a soundbar (ysp-2700)?

Also going to separate TV from xbox one. Xbox is complicating things for the wife, and I need to add my Nintendo switch in anyway. So separating the inputs and using a harmony hub/remote w/ alexa moving forward.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
JS8500 , reflection , screen flashing black

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page