**OFFICIAL** 2015 Samsung 4K SUHD JS8500 Series TV Thread - Page 780 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10056Likes

post #23371 of 24328 Old 03-02-2018, 08:47 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd09 View Post
It ain?t happening. I worked myself pretty far up the chain and they could care less

I bought a new tv. Not Samsung obviously and sold my JS
I use a UHD BDP to access HLG content. Though it would be nicer to have HLG via the TV?s apps, it works just fine via HDMI on the JS8500, and I get to enjoy 3D content as well though it?s only in the bedroom. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
And while it is great it works with that Andy despite me telling them that. They refuse to address why it doesn?t with another device such as directv nor address why they won?t officially support it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23372 of 24328 Old 03-03-2018, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post
I was lucky...I copied these settings and found that they worked very well with my set (I did raise SHARPNESS to a setting of 10 for use with UHD Blu-Ray and UHD streamed content):

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sa...s8500/settings
So I've tried experimenting with using these settings and when it comes to UHDs, I've found that although colors do stand out a little more, there is also some slight over saturation when it comes to deep reds or bright whites. It sometimes appears to cause a loss in detail which I'm not sure if that's supposed to happen or not. I've tried to increase B-gain which alleviates the prevalent warm tint from before but I'm not sure what to do about the bright whites, which usually occurs in scenes with bright lights or white-colored objects.
post #23373 of 24328 Old 03-03-2018, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 380
10 isn't going to give anything any detail. Can't understand why anyone or any calibration would use these settings but to each his own I guess?

Shortly after installing my JS8500, I visited rtings to calibrate every setting they offered in the panel since the defaults were less than desirable to me. I regard rtings as sort of a 'bible' for everything they test and adjust, providing many of us 'shortcuts' through their trial and error as well as equipment readings most of us don't have. Lots of enthusiasts count on them as 'the last word' on everything technical since they leave no stone unturned and 'tell it like it is' with plenty to back it up.

To be completely honest, after setting it up verbatim, I was discontent. I then tried a couple of the different calibrations from various other posters and places. Those too were not satisfying to me. I proceeded to d/l the HDMV-2d Calibration.iso and various test patterns from here and began my own preference quest. Against expert recommendations, I prefer a nice bright picture. I find it impossible to revert to imo, a darker, duller, less sharp one even when told to give it a couple weeks to 'get used to it'.

I spent months of 'adjustment periods' to finalize my setup, not to mention months of learning how other components and their settings affect the outcome of the panels picture such as video players and sources. Add to that different video formats like 3D, HDR, SDR, etc., it's a wonder the infinite possibilities finally narrow down more finite. In the end, my eyes enjoy what I see.

So, for any users here who don't mind trying various calibrations, I'll resurrect mine for you to consider and maybe you'll like them too. Interested to know your thoughts? Have fun. Btw, copy and paste to file and add your existing settings so you can revert quickly and easily if desired.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post55256484
TravisBean likes this.

HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players
W10 1909 / MPC-BE\HC / PotPlayer / PowerDVD 19 / DVDFab Player 3,5&6 / KODI 19 videoplayer
GTX960 4GB / RGB Full 4:4:4 / 8bit Desktop mode =60Hz / 10/12bit Video mode = Matched Refresh rates IE 23,24,25,60Hz
Samsung 82" Q90R / Denon S720W
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23374 of 24328 Old 03-03-2018, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 5
After the crap that went on with the 1500 or 1510 or which every firmware update it was that caused issues, I turned off auto update. I think it was at 1510 because that is where I am currnetly. The other day, the set applied updates and did a reboot/restart. Weird as it still says 1510 from the on screen menu, and says that 1521 is available. I assume that the updates the set received were for the smart hub as I do have the new amazon prime video icon. I assume you get app updates no matter what update selection is choosen because i Don't recall seeing a button for partial updates.<br />
<br />
Reading thru posts, it doesn't seem that there have been any significant updates since 1510. Is that correct or did I miss something. Haven't been keeping up and had quite a few pages to read to get to here!

I have a set ordered from Samsung in Nov of 2015. I have slight banding on some light backgrounds like blue skies or snow, but it is barely noticeable, pretty much have to look fort it. I don't have cable, use OTA,amazon prime and Netflix. I did have cable, and could tell the difference between the OTA signal vs. the compressed stuff from the cable company. The sound was much crisper and pic seemed clearer on the channels broadcasting 1080. Took a bit of getting used to, but not missing cable anymore. I am moving soon and am dreading the thought of having too handle the TV that much. But, I do still have the box and all the packaging. I didn't want to pitch it in case I had a warranty issue. I think I am good on the extended warranty for a few more months. Hope there area no problems as I really like my set, best TV ever for me!
TravisBean likes this.

Last edited by Copspop; 03-03-2018 at 10:43 PM.
post #23375 of 24328 Old 03-03-2018, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Does anyone know if the fandango app supports HDR? I could have sworn when I used it about 2 months ago HDR was on. I tried a few movies today and the tv never kicked into HDR mode. I am wondering if something changed or if I am mis-remembering. And before anyone asks yes the movies I purchased are the UHD versions and have HDR.
post #23376 of 24328 Old 03-04-2018, 03:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Liked: 836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson 4145 View Post
Does anyone know if the fandango app supports HDR? I could have sworn when I used it about 2 months ago HDR was on. I tried a few movies today and the tv never kicked into HDR mode. I am wondering if something changed or if I am mis-remembering. And before anyone asks yes the movies I purchased are the UHD versions and have HDR.
The fandango now app supports UHD HDR on certain purchased movies that have been downloaded to a Western Digital My Passport Cinema hard drive (or possibly other hard drives that have Vidity protection such as some of the Samsung UHD Video Pack drives). The HDR kicks in when playing back from the drive, not when streaming through the app,

https://www.samsung.com/us/televisio...s0010bbk-nesn/

UN48JS8500 UN55HU6950 w/SEK-3500U UN40HU6950 w/SEK-3500U UBD-K8500 UN37C5000
post #23377 of 24328 Old 03-04-2018, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mifanning View Post
I just saw that a 1521 update was available (my set is the UN65JS850D) so I installed it. Anyone know the features on this update? I checked the forum and Samsung's website but can see nothing. Thanks.
Bump
post #23378 of 24328 Old 03-04-2018, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Firmware update "features"

Quote:
I just saw that a 1521 update was available (my set is the UN65JS850D) so I installed it. Anyone know the features on this update? I checked the forum and Samsung's website but can see nothing. Thanks.
Quote:
Bump
Samsung never provides any specificity when it comes to these firmware updates, whether you consult the Manuals & Downloads web page or contact tech support via phone -- it's always the same vague boilerplate language, to wit:

"Improved usability:
1. Improved browser performance
2. Improved app performance
3. Improved stability
4. Improved usability of input devices"

Attached is an example from June of 2016 for firmware 1455.0 -- the same "release notes" language contained therein has been published for every firmware update since then, and prior thereto.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Samsung TV Firmware 1455.0 Applicability Pop-Up Text Box.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	2370532  
post #23379 of 24328 Old 03-04-2018, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppagene View Post
The fandango now app supports UHD HDR on certain purchased movies that have been downloaded to a Western Digital My Passport Cinema hard drive (or possibly other hard drives that have Vidity protection such as some of the Samsung UHD Video Pack drives). The HDR kicks in when playing back from the drive, not when streaming through the app,

https://www.samsung.com/us/televisio...s0010bbk-nesn/
That's a huge bummer, thanks for responding. Does anyone know of streaming devices that support fandangonow UHD HDR streaming? I can't seem to find a device list anywhere.
post #23380 of 24328 Old 03-04-2018, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked: 3284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson 4145 View Post
That's a huge bummer, thanks for responding. Does anyone know of streaming devices that support fandangonow UHD HDR streaming? I can't seem to find a device list anywhere.
I use a Roku Ultra with my JS8500.

Definition of "Stupid": Knowing the truth, seeing the truth, but still believing the lies.
post #23381 of 24328 Old 03-05-2018, 01:48 PM

Rudy1, I'm curious but regarding the settings that you use for movie mode, have you ever tried doing direct comparisons between your Standard and Movie mode settings? After using some of your suggested settings, I've found that they work best on SDR content. However, when it comes to UHD discs, I'm getting mixed results. The image stands out more overall, particularly the greens and warm colors. However, I've found that light sources tend to be overly bright, sometimes obscuring detail around it. Though I'm not sure if that's because I'm still used to Standard mode settings or if that's a result of the HDR in combination with the new settings. In some movies, the warm colors are pretty overwhelming making skin tones a little warmer than they ought to be. Again, not sure it's supposed to be like that or that I'm too used to the old settings.
post #23382 of 24328 Old 03-05-2018, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jala12 View Post
Rudy1, I'm curious but regarding the settings that you use for movie mode, have you ever tried doing direct comparisons between your Standard and Movie mode settings? After using some of your suggested settings, I've found that they work best on SDR content. However, when it comes to UHD discs, I'm getting mixed results. The image stands out more overall, particularly the greens and warm colors. However, I've found that light sources tend to be overly bright, sometimes obscuring detail around it. Though I'm not sure if that's because I'm still used to Standard mode settings or if that's a result of the HDR in combination with the new settings. In some movies, the warm colors are pretty overwhelming making skin tones a little warmer than they ought to be. Again, not sure it's supposed to be like that or that I'm too used to the old settings.
Panels tend to vary from set to set, so any calibrated settings you find anywhere may or may not work perfectly on your TV. I use recommended settings as a baseline, then tweak the image until it's pleasing to me. You can do the same...while in Movie mode and watching HDR content, you should tweak the settings to your taste then do the same while watching non-HDR content in Movie mode. To keep things simple, I would suggest using "AUTO" as the colorspace for all inputs and modes, and STANDARD as the color tone; the TV will retain separate settings for SDR and HDR content for each input, so just play around using your favorite content until you arrive at a picture that is pleasing to YOUR eyes. Don't worry about it being "right" or exactly "what the director intended"...it is YOUR satisfaction with the resulting images that really matters here.

Definition of "Stupid": Knowing the truth, seeing the truth, but still believing the lies.

Last edited by Rudy1; 03-05-2018 at 02:38 PM.
post #23383 of 24328 Old 03-05-2018, 03:04 PM

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind. Depending on the content, I may find myself switching between the Standard or Movie settings. I've found that some UHDs are better off using the old settings while others work pretty well under Movie.
post #23384 of 24328 Old 03-05-2018, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Last I checked, (the first thing I checked after the latest 1521 update because it is the only hurdle I care about with these panels) HDR and SDR are not separate modes and do not retain different adjustments. Anything I set (mainly 'sharpness' depending on which) remains no matter what mode I'm in..... except 3D. That one retains its own settings and does not apply them to any other.

My HTPC is fed to HDMI 1 from my AVR. TV broadcast goes to HDMI 2 via my STB. I bypass the AVR and gain audio via SPDIF which gives the best broadcast offers - Dolby digital 5.1. So, I have separate settings for TV broadcast since I'm feeding a different port, which is essential imo.

I have found that some original recent UHD HDR produced titles allow high sharpness settings without over sharpening and look very good to my eyes although they are few. An older re-mastered title to the UHD HDR format seems to always require the sharpness setting be relaxed. An SDR Blu-ray upscaled also prefers high sharpness settings. So, if HDR and SDR settings are or could be separate memories, I would only have to dig down deep into the menu before playback to adjust the sharpness between older and newer HDR titles on rare occasion. At least SDR would be retained and eliminate the fumbling around for those too.

Are you certain HDR and SDR are separate on all inputs especially HDMI 1? I don't mean contrast and backlight. I mean 'sharpness' specifically. TIA.

W10 1909 / MPC-BE\HC / PotPlayer / PowerDVD 19 / DVDFab Player 3,5&6 / KODI 19 videoplayer
GTX960 4GB / RGB Full 4:4:4 / 8bit Desktop mode =60Hz / 10/12bit Video mode = Matched Refresh rates IE 23,24,25,60Hz
post #23385 of 24328 Old 03-05-2018, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I’m sorry if my post was confusing. What I’m trying to convey is that you can specify individual settings within the different picture modes to suit SDR and HDR content. Then, to switch between the settings, you just press the MENU/123 button on the remote to summon up the menubar at the top of the screen, scroll (right) to PICTURE MODE, and select the mode you’ve optimized for the particular type of content you’re viewing.
brazen1 likes this.

post #23386 of 24328 Old 03-06-2018, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes, I understand 'Picture Modes' remember their own unique settings. Thank you for sharing and clarifying. Unfortunately, they are also strict adjustments for other things you cannot calibrate. Like adjusting 'Movie' mode to look like 'Standard' mode when your only desire is to change a 'Sharpness' setting for example. And still, you have to manually select it by digging into the menu before or during playback and probably will again when the next title is played and that's if you remember to. How many times are you 3/4 of the way through a movie and realize, ah crap, I forgot to adjust this, that, or the other thing?

An example of one intention is to automatically have 3D always retain a setting of 61 sharpness, which presently is working. SDR to retain a 71 sharpness setting which is presently working. And, HDR to retain a 21 sharpness setting which is not working because it calls on SDR setting and not its own. There are other adjustments as well. Sharpness is just an example.

When playing a 3D title, the switch of the TV mode remembers how you last adjusted it and you don't have to dig in the menu for a specific anything related to how you adjust the picture for 3D. Those unique settings for your 3D preference are retained and take hold when the TV mode starts. Same with the 'default' common SDR mode. It has its own settings unrelated to 3D mode and can be set optimized for that mode. HDR is its own mode. It retains its own contrast and backlight adjustments unique to it but NOTHING else. Any other setting changed when in HDR mode reflects directly to SDR mode also. Imo, this is a fault.

HDR is its own mode. That's why the panel flashes just as 3D does when entering it and flashes back to SDR mode when finished. The processing in the panel is switching to the code written specifically for that mode I assume. I also assume SAMSUNG did not go the extra mile and provide a separate memory for HDR and simply added code to initiate HDR alongside SDR. I don't make panels and have no idea the internal processing nor capabilities or limitations but users like me would appreciate more hands on functions than increasing the gamut and reading metadata on top of existing SDR settings and calling it a day.

Samsung, please provide us a firmware update that allows unique adjustments when in HDR mode similar to how 3D mode allows us unique adjustments that are not applied to SDR mode.... if possible.
TravisBean likes this.

Last edited by brazen1; 03-06-2018 at 09:09 AM.
post #23387 of 24328 Old 03-07-2018, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I am the owner of a Samsung JS8500 4K TV and a Sony X800 UHD Blu-ray player. I am looking to find out what video scalers are used in each and if there is any consensus of opinion as to which does a better job. I know ultimately the answer is subjective to the viewer, but perhaps there is factual evidence regarding the abilities of what is used on the 2015 UHD TV verses the 2017 Blu-ray player. I'll post this in both forum threads for replies. Thanks.
TravisBean likes this.

Last edited by locob; 03-07-2018 at 07:22 AM.
post #23388 of 24328 Old 03-07-2018, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by locob View Post
I am the owner of a Samsung JS8500 4K TV and a Sony X800 UHD Blu-ray player. I am looking to find out what video scalers are used in each and if there is any consensus of opinion as to which does a better job. I know ultimately the answer is subjective to the viewer, but perhaps there is factual evidence regarding the abilities of what is used on the 2015 UHD TV verses the 2017 Blu-ray player. I'll post this in both forum threads for replies. Thanks.
won't matter really, the scaling in the tv is going to happen no matter what. the tv's scaler is quite good.
MALICIOUS ONE likes this.

Sony xbr65x850c Side Blooming test clips:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...br65x850c.xlsx
post #23389 of 24328 Old 03-07-2018, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Well, I hooked up my new Oppo 203 UHD Blu-ray player to my JS8500 last night and did a few initial tweaks to the picture. After some trials on a few different scenes of GOTG2, I found that I think I prefer that dynamic contrast be set at medium for content. What are your experiences with this setting? Any others I should be sure to check (besides UHD color, which I do have turned on)?

I didn’t have a ton of time with the player last night, but I will say that almost all HDR content I’ve seen on this thing looks WAY better than SDR content on the JS8500. What I mean is: It’s clear that this TV was made for UHD and HDR. I just don’t think it’s as good at SDR as other comparable TVs and, until now, have always been a bit “meh” with its black levels. Now, with having seen a few things in UHD and HDR, I’m really happy with this set! Has anyone else noticed this big discrepancy between SDR and HDR content?

---
Striving to live life in high dynamic range and ultra high definition.
Samsung UN65JS8500 / Denon AVR-X4000 / 5.1 w/ Mixed Speakers / Oppo UDP-203 / TiVo Premiere XL / Apple TV (3rd gen) / Fire TV (1st gen) / Xbox 360 R2-D2 Edition
KC area / Father of 4 / Husband / Video Producer / Skeptic
post #23390 of 24328 Old 03-07-2018, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post
Well, I hooked up my new Oppo 203 UHD Blu-ray player to my JS8500 last night and did a few initial tweaks to the picture. After some trials on a few different scenes of GOTG2, I found that I think I prefer that dynamic contrast be set at medium for content. What are your experiences with this setting? Any others I should be sure to check (besides UHD color, which I do have turned on)?

I didn’t have a ton of time with the player last night, but I will say that almost all HDR content I’ve seen on this thing looks WAY better than SDR content on the JS8500. What I mean is: It’s clear that this TV was made for UHD and HDR. I just don’t think it’s as good at SDR as other comparable TVs and, until now, have always been a bit “meh” with its black levels. Now, with having seen a few things in UHD and HDR, I’m really happy with this set! Has anyone else noticed this big discrepancy between SDR and HDR content?
I know that many have there dynamic contrast set to medium and I initially had it set to medium too. It does look much brighter than other settings. In the end though, I changed it to Low and raised the Gamma by one or two points to make it brighter. I think it may give a more accurate picture. I'm not sure whether to set Gamma at 0 or 1 though. It might depend on the content
post #23391 of 24328 Old 03-07-2018, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by locob View Post
I had started out using the Sony X800 for scaling even though most say that the Samsung scales better. After looking at various comparisons for SD and BD content, I decided that the Samsung is slightly better at scaling although it's not a dramatic difference.
post #23392 of 24328 Old 03-15-2018, 05:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by sven98 View Post
I had started out using the Sony X800 for scaling even though most say that the Samsung scales better. After looking at various comparisons for SD and BD content, I decided that the Samsung is slightly better at scaling although it's not a dramatic difference.
I'm sure so many variables are involved that tracking down the exact cause and effect might be an exercise in futility, but I find the Sony scales You Tube videos better than the Samsung, so I set the Sony to output 4K and use their You Tube app instead of the native You Tube app on the JS8500.
MALICIOUS ONE likes this.
post #23393 of 24328 Old 03-15-2018, 09:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisBean View Post
I'm sure so many variables are involved that tracking down the exact cause and effect might be an exercise in futility, but I find the Sony scales You Tube videos better than the Samsung, so I set the Sony to output 4K and use their You Tube app instead of the native You Tube app on the JS8500.
Also, the YT app for the TV will only do up to 30fps & not 60fps. I have noticed it with the "Stats for Nerds" on videos I know that are 60fps. It's why I use my Blu-ray player TY app that will match the frame rate unlike the Xbox One X or 1080p only TY app on 4K Apple TV as of now.
TravisBean likes this.

Samsung UN65JS8500/Samsung UBD-K8500/Outlaw 5000 amp/Onkyo TX-RX830 using 7.2.4/Xbox One X w/Kinect
XBL Gamertag: MALICIOUS ONE
post #23394 of 24328 Old 03-16-2018, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by MALICIOUS ONE View Post
Also, the YT app for the TV will only do up to 30fps & not 60fps. I have noticed it with the "Stats for Nerds" on videos I know that are 60fps. It's why I use my Blu-ray player TY app that will match the frame rate unlike the Xbox One X or 1080p only TY app on 4K Apple TV as of now.
I never noticed this before, I'll have to check this out. I don't think I have an alternative other than the Xbox Youtube app though, I'm suprised it doesn't do 60FPS.
post #23395 of 24328 Old 03-16-2018, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by FUBARxv View Post
I never noticed this before, I'll have to check this out. I don't think I have an alternative other than the Xbox Youtube app though, I'm suprised it doesn't do 60FPS.
Xbox YT app will do 60fps, but will do 24fps videos at 60fps on the HDMI port. Xbox doesn't match frame rate to the source for any app. It's always 60fps no matter what. So when I play 30fps & 60fps videos my Blu-ray player does 60fps, but for 24fps it drops to 24fps to match. Don't just go by the "Stats for Nerds" in TY app. Use the "Info" button from the TV remote as well to see what FPS it is on HDMI port. It's why I only use the Xbox Nelfix app for Atmos Netflix content because it will not do 24fps & has the always on HDR.

Samsung UN65JS8500/Samsung UBD-K8500/Outlaw 5000 amp/Onkyo TX-RX830 using 7.2.4/Xbox One X w/Kinect
XBL Gamertag: MALICIOUS ONE
post #23396 of 24328 Old 03-17-2018, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the 55js8500 and just got ahold of a ubd-k8500 uhd blu-ray player. I can't get UHD content to work so I'm hoping someone here knows something I haven't tried yet. I'm basically getting a black screen with no error messages.

The ubd-k8500 displays the player's menus fine in [email protected] If I try to play Planet Earth II UHD the FBI warning and 5 second intro clip play - I think this are 1080p, but then it never shows the disc menu. Just a blank black screen. If I hook up the audio output, however, I can hear it running. The TV shows "no info" on the HDMI input resolution. If I fire up Amazon Prime streaming on the ubd-k8500, I can play 1080p videos but all of the 4k videos give the same blank screen. Note that I can play these videos on the TV's amazon app.

Both devices have the latest firmware. I've tried 3 different HDMI cables, as short as 4 feet, all specified for 18gbps. I've tried all 4 HDMI ports. I've tried every combination of settings that I can find on both devices.

BDWise on/off. Anynet on/off. Color modes. Etc. All of them.
On the tv, HDMI UHD Color on/off. A few others.

However, if I set the ubd-k8500 to output 1080p, it works. I can play the disks and streaming perfectly fine, just in 1080p.

So I have no idea if this is a problem with my js8500 or with the ubd-k8500. If I had to guess I think there's some HDMI handshake issues or problem with HDCP 2.2 - but again, which device?

Totally lost for additional things to try. I don't have another display to test the uhd bluray player nor another 4k hdmi source to test the tv. Anyone have a similar issue and find a resolution?
post #23397 of 24328 Old 03-17-2018, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmagee4 View Post
I have the 55js8500 and just got ahold of a ubd-k8500 uhd blu-ray player. I can't get UHD content to work so I'm hoping someone here knows something I haven't tried yet. I'm basically getting a black screen with no error messages.

The ubd-k8500 displays the player's menus fine in [email protected] If I try to play Planet Earth II UHD the FBI warning and 5 second intro clip play - I think this are 1080p, but then it never shows the disc menu. Just a blank black screen. If I hook up the audio output, however, I can hear it running. The TV shows "no info" on the HDMI input resolution. If I fire up Amazon Prime streaming on the ubd-k8500, I can play 1080p videos but all of the 4k videos give the same blank screen. Note that I can play these videos on the TV's amazon app.

Both devices have the latest firmware. I've tried 3 different HDMI cables, as short as 4 feet, all specified for 18gbps. I've tried all 4 HDMI ports. I've tried every combination of settings that I can find on both devices.

BDWise on/off. Anynet on/off. Color modes. Etc. All of them.
On the tv, HDMI UHD Color on/off. A few others.

However, if I set the ubd-k8500 to output 1080p, it works. I can play the disks and streaming perfectly fine, just in 1080p.

So I have no idea if this is a problem with my js8500 or with the ubd-k8500. If I had to guess I think there's some HDMI handshake issues or problem with HDCP 2.2 - but again, which device?

Totally lost for additional things to try. I don't have another display to test the uhd bluray player nor another 4k hdmi source to test the tv. Anyone have a similar issue and find a resolution?
Settings that work for me are:

on the TV: HDMI UHD Color to on on the HDMI port I set BD wise to off.
on the UBD-K8500: BDwise off; Resolution Auto; Fir Screen Size 4; HDMI color format auto; HDMI Deep Color off.

Premium Certified HDMI cable is a must as well. Monoprice has them at a reasonably low price. Not all HDMI cables that claim to be 18 gbps actually meet the standards. Also, If your cable run is greater than 20 feet, you may have additional issues.
johnmagee4 and MALICIOUS ONE like this.

post #23398 of 24328 Old 03-17-2018, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppagene View Post
Settings that work for me are:

on the TV: HDMI UHD Color to on on the HDMI port I set BD wise to off.
on the UBD-K8500: BDwise off; Resolution Auto; Fir Screen Size 4; HDMI color format auto; HDMI Deep Color off.

Premium Certified HDMI cable is a must as well. Monoprice has them at a reasonably low price. Not all HDMI cables that claim to be 18 gbps actually meet the standards. Also, If your cable run is greater than 20 feet, you may have additional issues.
Thanks for the info. I tried those specific combination of settings and it still didn't work. I have a monoprice Certified Premium High Speed HDMI Cable, HDR, 10ft Black. Thinking maybe the length was an issue I also grabbed a 4 ft Dynex (https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dynex-3...?skuId=5681548). I've tried 4 other cables I have laying around (including a 1.5 footer, but that's only rated for 4k @ 24 hz 10.2gbps (https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_...seq=1&format=2).

Just got off the phone with 2 Samsung tech support people. First one was a TV person - said the TV supports what I'm trying to do, but that since the built-in apps work for 4k the TV must be working fine and transferred me to a blu-ray rep. He remoted into my TV and tried a few things. Then he said he can't find a setting in the menus called HDR+ (sounds like he's saying HDI+). He says this needs to be enabled so therefore the technology changed since 2015 and thus my tv isn't compatible with today's 4k blu-ray players! I refuse to accept this answer, and tell him that the TV's specifications certainly list it as compatible with what I'm trying to do, so after a bit of back and forth he promises to consult with his colleagues and get back to me. Waiting for a callback still.
post #23399 of 24328 Old 03-17-2018, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmagee4 View Post
Thanks for the info. I tried those specific combination of settings and it still didn't work. I have a monoprice Certified Premium High Speed HDMI Cable, HDR, 10ft Black. Thinking maybe the length was an issue I also grabbed a 4 ft Dynex (https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dynex-3...?skuId=5681548). I've tried 4 other cables I have laying around (including a 1.5 footer, but that's only rated for 4k @ 24 hz 10.2gbps (https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_...seq=1&format=2).

Just got off the phone with 2 Samsung tech support people. First one was a TV person - said the TV supports what I'm trying to do, but that since the built-in apps work for 4k the TV must be working fine and transferred me to a blu-ray rep. He remoted into my TV and tried a few things. Then he said he can't find a setting in the menus called HDR+ (sounds like he's saying HDI+). He says this needs to be enabled so therefore the technology changed since 2015 and thus my tv isn't compatible with today's 4k blu-ray players! I refuse to accept this answer, and tell him that the TV's specifications certainly list it as compatible with what I'm trying to do, so after a bit of back and forth he promises to consult with his colleagues and get back to me. Waiting for a callback still.
The second tech is full of stuff. HDR+ is a technique to get HDR like picture out of a SDR video source. Definitely not needed to get HDR from UHD player. Our tv is perfectly capable of displaying UHD DHR from UHD disks using the UBD-K8500.
johnmagee4 and MALICIOUS ONE like this.

post #23400 of 24328 Old 03-18-2018, 01:39 PM
RPL

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hello all, I have a 2 year old UN65JS8500F and a couple of months ago white "bleeding" started from the right edge of the screen - it's mostly visable when I'm watching hockey - in some areas, the bleeing is a 2-3 inches long. I've attached a picture, however, it's not easy to see from the pics, so i added some red arrows to help. I only have my TV receiver attached to the TV, no other components. I talked to Samsung and they effectively told me I'm out of luck as the warranty is only for 1 year. Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1054.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	320.9 KB
ID:	2377052  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
JS8500 , reflection , screen flashing black

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version