**OFFICIAL** 2015 Samsung 4K SUHD JS8500 Series TV Thread - Page 796 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9742Likes

post #23851 of 23985 Old 05-02-2019, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
So, I called Samsung that Wednesday morning. After a 15 minute talk, most of it hold time while the rep got the ok, I had an appointment scheduled for 2 days later, Friday. I was reminded my panel is well out of warranty but that they would do a courtesy repair at no cost to me.
I'd really like to know how you managed to pull that off!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23852 of 23985 Old 05-02-2019, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 337
I started by not having any expectations. I explained my problems in detail briefly and asked if they would help me. I didn't use any technical terms, just described what was happening. I was very courteous and didn't display any kind of disappointment about my situation. I answered their questions honestly. During the hold times the rep would come back every couple minutes and apologize for putting me on hold. I told them it wasn't a problem that I was happy they were addressing my issues with others and to take their time that I was in no rush. (I) didn't "pull off" anything. Samsung did. Btw, there was no paper work. None.

Now that I've had some time with this replacement screen (on 16 hours/day for a week) as a PC monitor for W10 desktop where I'm typing to at this moment, and SDR, HDR, 3D and cable TV, a couple notes:

One thing I noticed is after they hung the display back on the wall and had left, I went to level it perfectly. I sighted down the panel and noticed it has about a 1/4" bow to it instead of perfectly flat. I noticed when they were swapping the screens they used a little 2' x 2' x 4" piece of Styrofoam discarded packing material to lay the panel on top of instead of just putting it on the floor in order to protect the screens. The new screen had the standard plastic wrap but that alone would not be sufficient to protect something that might be damaging. Unfortunately this method, while a precaution, only supported the middle of the screen and allowed the sides to sag a little during installation. After screwing the edges of the new panel in, it retained that sag. I could remedy it myself which isn't advised at all, or call them back but I don't have the heart tbh. It doesn't affect anything other than knowing it exists and I still praise the repairmen.

I noticed the new screen appears brighter. I don't know if it's my imagination or if indeed it just is. I checked my calibration for Contrast and Brightness. Neither was clipping. I turned the backlight down from 20 to 14 but left it at 20 for 3D mode only. Looks pretty good to me. 14 or 20 has no affect on the heat generated from the panel then or now. Now with the new screen, at 14 or 20, it's warm at best. Nothing like it was. I also noticed my bumped up setting for SDR Color at 75 is oversaturated now. I lowered it to 51 and added +1 to gamma. Since only the screen was changed, all settings retained fwiw.

I've been using this as a quick check after using the calibration disc once. https://www.eizo.be/monitor-test/

Some of this has changed throughout time besides the tweaks noted above and I should update it if anyone cares https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55256484

HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players
W10 1903 / MPC-BE\HC / PotPlayer / PowerDVD 19 / DVDFab Player 3&5 / KODI 19 videoplayer
GTX960 4GB / RGB Full 4:4:4 / 8bit Desktop mode =60Hz / 10/12bit Video mode = Matched Refresh rates IE 23,24,25,60Hz
65JS8500 UHD HDR 3D / Denon S720W
post #23853 of 23985 Old 05-04-2019, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I saw this great post below that has info for the newest gaming systems. I think any Xbox user should go & re-check your settings on the Xbox. I had 10bit selected since we do have a 10bit panel & "Allow 4:2:2" was not checked & they were wrong this whole time. I was getting the same results as him.

XBOX settings should be 8-bit (24 bits per pixel) Color Depth with Standard (Recommended) Color Space and "Allow 4:2:2" ON (Checked). Details below.

I also made sure my TV's picture options menu for HDMI black level was set to "Auto". In "game mode" it looks like it is always "Auto" FYI.

XBOX/PS4/Switch Signal Analysis + Optimal XBOX Settings: Color Depth, Space, 4:2:2

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/94-ho...l#post57895250

Samsung UN65JS8500/Samsung UBD-K8500/Onkyo TX-RX830 using 5.2.4/Xbox One X w/Kinect
XBL Gamertag: MALICIOUS ONE
My Twitter
My Rock Band/Guitar Hero DLC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23854 of 23985 Old 05-18-2019, 02:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Just a reminder that the FA cup final will be the latest UHD trial on the BBC iPlayer today. https://www.svgeurope.org/blog/headl...hd-hdr-stream/
post #23855 of 23985 Old 05-25-2019, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdog81 View Post
was never really a fan of 3d and no one is really making 3d sets anymore. i think i used the 3d option once just to try it out. no tv is perfect but prefer the look of oled over edge or back lit. burn in is always a chance to get but the set has software to mitigate issue. time will tell.
I know people who own OLEDS don't liked to hear this ,but with burn in there is no such thing as chance .You will get burn in, under normal use. It seems to differ from panel to panel. True playing video games is not a good idea. This idea that it's the owners fault is just something you hear from a OLED owner who feels it's a personal attack. It's not .The nature of the technology is at fault here. Your dealing with a organic technology and as we know anything organic has a limited life span.
Burn in is not the only problem you may have to deal with with OLEDS .There is the pixels themselves with deteriorate over time.Don't get wrong OLEDs PQ is a wonderful site. But not worth the price tag. If you go to LG'S website ,they have put up a disclaimer stating with OLEDS there is a risk of getting burn in. Lg's warranty does not cover burn in. When I considered a OLED i went to a lot of web sites to see reviews. went to forms to see reviews and found OLED owners are not happy and a lot of them have burn in with normal use. They feel like they are baby sitting a TV .This by the way is a problem LG or Sony or anybody making OLEDS can fix , because they can't , again its the nature of the beast.The technology is for lack of a better word the cousin of Plasma technology. With 8K and micro led around the corner I believe OLED will be a thing of the past. If you can hold off better things are coming.
post #23856 of 23985 Old 05-29-2019, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Unknown issue with UN65JS8500 w/ pic

From time to time the TV gets black and white diagonals on the screen after 15- 20 minutes. When the screen changes to this it never changes back, but retains audio. Main Board was changed and when tested, the TV got a different screen after 30 -40 minutes. Looks like a test pattern with green block letters that read "3D". Not sure if this is a settings issue, a component issue or a software issue. Guess I can try updating the Firmware as it's never been updated to my knowledge.

Also strangely, there is a direct link for the Firmware update on page 793 of this thread. The post states that it is firmware version 1540.3 and was generated on August 28, 2018 however when I open the info.txt file for the download it says it's from August 14, 2018 and is version 1540.180814. Why the discrepancy?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG5589.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	914.9 KB
ID:	2573038   Click image for larger version

Name:	Samsung_Diagnols.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	2573040  
post #23857 of 23985 Old 05-29-2019, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 893 Post(s)
Liked: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD-RW View Post
From time to time the TV gets black and white diagonals on the screen after 15- 20 minutes. When the screen changes to this it never changes back, but retains audio. Main Board was changed and when tested, the TV got a different screen after 30 -40 minutes. Looks like a test pattern with green block letters that read "3D". Not sure if this is a settings issue, a component issue or a software issue. Guess I can try updating the Firmware as it's never been updated to my knowledge.

Also strangely, there is a direct link for the Firmware update on page 793 of this thread. The post states that it is firmware version 1540.3 and was generated on August 28, 2018 however when I open the info.txt file for the download it says it's from August 14, 2018 and is version 1540.180814. Why the discrepancy?
1. if your tv is connected to the internet at all, keep your firmware up to date as often there are security patches (although updates are far and few between now)
2. go straight to samsung's website to get the firmware.
3. samsung SUCKS at change listings and/or updating the information in the file. they really don't care. just download the latest from them and you'll be fine.

Sony xbr65x850c Side Blooming test clips:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...br65x850c.xlsx
post #23858 of 23985 Old 05-29-2019, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp787 View Post
1. if your tv is connected to the internet at all, keep your firmware up to date as often there are security patches (although updates are far and few between now)
2. go straight to samsung's website to get the firmware.
3. samsung SUCKS at change listings and/or updating the information in the file. they really don't care. just download the latest from them and you'll be fine.
Thank you for clearing-up the firmware confusion. Anyone that might be able to diagnose this fault with the TV, please send them my way thanks. Spoke with Samsung already, "they never saw this before". So.. yeah.. hoping for someone who has seen this before.
post #23859 of 23985 Old 06-05-2019, 01:18 PM

I've just seen that there's supposed to be a new update for the UK from the samsung uk site

https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/m...E55JS8000TXXU/

It looks like it was released 2/may/2019 but is called version 1530.1
My TV's been on 1530 for over a year now, has anybody loaded this new 1530.1? I haven't managed to do it yet. Thanks.

Upgrade File(USB type) ver 1530.1 (MULTI LANGUAGE) : All OS 2019-05-02
post #23860 of 23985 Old 06-05-2019, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsiderwv View Post
I finally had some time today to mess around with the Spears/Munsil disc and adjust some settings. The out-of-box settings didn't change too much; however I am pretty pleased with the results. I am not a professional calibrator but please feel free to use as a reference. Remember each set is different as is lighting conditions. I provided a couple of pics; however they were taken with my cell phone and are not the best quality. I'll try to upload some clearer pictures when I get a chance.

Backlight: 7
Contrast: 94
Brightness: 45
Sharpness: 15
Color: 53 (Based on 2 different calibration discs with a blue filter this needed adjusted slightly)
Tint: G50/R50

PICTURE SIZE
Picture Size: 16:9
Fit to screen: ON

ADVANCED SETTINGS
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Black Tone: Off
Flesh Tone: 0
RGB Only Mode: Off
Color Space: Auto
Gamma: 0

PICTURE OPTIONS
Color Tone: Warm 2
Digital Clean View: Off
MPEG Noise Filter: Off
HDMI Black Level: Auto
HDMI UHD Color: Off
*Auto Motion Plus: Standard (Can be changed to your preference)
Smart LED: Standard
Cinema Black: Off
I tried many settings with this tv ,I find no matter what the settings you do with whatever disc the flesh tone is to pink and worse a pink tone even on a Black and white movie . even your file shots look to pink with flesh tones.Without paying big bucks for a pro to really get into your tv the discs just won't get you great flesh tones. Warm 2 makes it worse ,warm 1 not much better,the rest give you other issues.
post #23861 of 23985 Old 06-11-2019, 05:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by MALICIOUS ONE View Post
The 3D on this TV is great & my 37 disc 3D Blu-ray collection is honestly the only reason I have not upgraded to a Dolby Vision TV yet.
I hear you.
I have yet to receive a satisfactory answer to the question as to what exactly is involved in producing a TV that is 3D capable. I have addressed this question in numerous threads on this forum and have asked the so-called "experts."
3D movies are still being released in theaters at an additional charge and people are still buying tickets. 3D Blu-rays are still being released. The majority of new projectors are 3D capable. How much more does it cost the manufacturer to make a television set 3D capable? Someone suggested in another forum that the panel actually has to be quicker. And obviously, if the TV has active 3D there is the additional cost of another Bluetooth radio device. I realize that there was a general consensus among the major manufacturers that not enough people were interested in 3D and didn't take that into consideration when it came time to make a final decision as to which television to purchase. But still, if anybody has any real knowledge or any thoughts at all as to how much more expensive it is to produce a 3D capable television VS one which isn't, please chime in.
post #23862 of 23985 Old 06-11-2019, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 246
3d tv

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisBean View Post
I have yet to receive a satisfactory answer to the question as to what exactly is involved in producing a TV that is 3D capable. I have addressed this question in numerous threads on this forum and have asked the so-called "experts."
I haven't been able to find anything definitive about this either, only articles that make generalized sweeping statements. Here's an example from the Abt Electronics website at https://www.abt.com/learn/3d-tv-buying-guide:

"A 3D TV can have an LED, LCD, or plasma screen. The only difference from a 2D TV is the screen is designed to show two versions of the same image. This works because the two versions are alternated at speeds that are so fast, they are undetectable by the human eye. . . . Currently there are three types of 3D Tvs available: 3D-Ready, 3D-Capable, and Full 3D. . . . Full 3D: Similar to 3D-ready TVs, these sets are equipped with 3D emitters and the proper screen to produce a 3D image. They will usually come with 3D glasses."

Based on that description, the Full 3D TV requires the ability to simultaneously display a side-by-side high-speed image (something 2D TVs lack) and be equipped with a 3D Sync port (lacking again in 2D TVs) for plugging in the emitter, which transmits signals that synchronize shutter glasses with the displayed side-by-side stereo frames.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisBean View Post
How much more does it cost the manufacturer to make a television set 3D capable? Someone suggested in another forum that the panel actually has to be quicker. And obviously, if the TV has active 3D there is the additional cost of another Bluetooth radio device. I realize that there was a general consensus among the major manufacturers that not enough people were interested in 3D and didn't take that into consideration when it came time to make a final decision as to which television to purchase. But still, if anybody has any real knowledge or any thoughts at all as to how much more expensive it is to produce a 3D capable television VS one which isn't, please chime in.
Again, nothing I could turn up with exact cost structure breakdowns, only simple statements such as, "It's cheap for TV makers to add 3D to their sets, and even the active glasses have become quite inexpensive. Today manufacturers use it just like any other feature such as 120Hz or Smart TV: to differentiate high-end sets from low-end ones, or one brand from another." (see https://www.cnet.com/news/cnets-guid...-need-to-know/).

You've probably already read it, being the huge fan of 3D that you are, but here is an excellent Lifewire article from May 6, 2019, which not only explains the history of in-home 3D, but also why it's popularity never caught on as expected (for a whole host of reasons), why it's no longer being offered, and whether it may rise again like a phoenix:

https://www.lifewire.com/why-3d-tv-died-4126776

The article concludes by mentioning that the 3D-Ready 85" UN85JU7100FXZA (https://www.samsung.com/us/televisio...n85ju7100fxza/) may still be available even at this long-out-of-production date, but most likely akin to finding a needle in a 3D haystack.
post #23863 of 23985 Old 06-19-2019, 07:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by truwarrior22 View Post
Do you have smart led off or something? What if you put dynamic contrast to high?
I’m getting my 55” JS8500 replaced by SquareTrade due to flashlighting issues. They’re offering me a 2019 Q60 model which seems to be a downgrade. I would think it should be more along the lines of a Q80. Expecting too much?
post #23864 of 23985 Old 06-19-2019, 09:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by crn3371 View Post
I’m getting my 55” JS8500 replaced by SquareTrade due to flashlighting issues. They’re offering me a 2019 Q60 model which seems to be a downgrade. I would think it should be more along the lines of a Q80. Expecting too much?
It is really hard to compare features between current TVs and our JS8500s. A lot has changed in the 4 years between models. One logical method could be to select a TV at the same relative position in the Samsung lineup. I believe the JS8500 was the 3rd from the top (behind JS9000 and JS9500) price wise in Samsung's lineup. By this reckoning you might argue you should be getting the 2019 Q70.

Too bad you need to give up the One Connect Box. I really like having only one wire go to the TV.
TravisBean likes this.
post #23865 of 23985 Old 06-19-2019, 09:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post
Too bad you need to give up the One Connect Box. I really like having only one wire go to the TV.
I’m going to miss that too. The upside is that there are way more available apps now, so I’m hoping I can ditch my Apple TV and Fire TV boxes.
TravisBean likes this.
post #23866 of 23985 Old 06-20-2019, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

SquareTrade replacement TV initial offer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post
It is really hard to compare features between current TVs and our JS8500s. A lot has changed in the 4 years between models. One logical method could be to select a TV at the same relative position in the Samsung lineup. I believe the JS8500 was the 3rd from the top (behind JS9000 and JS9500) price wise in Samsung's lineup. By this reckoning you might argue you should be getting the 2019 Q70.
If you haven't done so already, you might want to glance at my SquareTrade posting in this forum from April 29, 2019, when I had my 65" JS8500 replaced under a ST warranty claim, here's the direct link:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post57974882

In a nutshell, ST's offer to me was to choose one of two models, either a 2018 65" Sammy Q8FN or a 2017 65" LG OLED65BZA -- I opted for the Q8FN. In all honesty, I was expecting ST to offer me something along the lines of a 65" Q7FN since that model was the third from the top-of-the-line for 2018, and the 65" JS8500 was the third from the top-of-the-line for 2015, so I was pleasantly surprised that not only didn't I have to attempt to negotiate for a Q7FN (non-FALD) if they offered me a Q6FN, but that I was automatically offered a second from the 2018 top-of-the-line Q8FN (FALD). But here's what I found out as to why I believe ST went that route at the time of my January 2019 claim filing:

1. Rather than look at manufacturer tier-level lineup placement only, ST also looks at the price you paid for your TV per the pre-tax, pre-delivery, amount on the receipt they have on file for your account, so original purchase price plays a big factor. In my case, ST saw that I had paid $2499.99 for my UN65JS8500 in late May of 2015, and so they took that into consideration when offering me what they determined were "equivalent" sets (albeit the JS8500's 3D functionality was no longer offered by any manufacturer, so in essence there was no replacement unit that was truly "equivalent"). At the time of my claim, the 2018 65" Q8FN was selling for $2297.99, with the Q7FN significantly less than that and the Q9FN significantly more, so ST apparently felt that the Q8FN was the closest price wise in the Samsung lineup to my JS8500 purchase price, and thus that was one of the units offered to me, in addition to the fact that the JS8500 was an SUHD model and the Q8FN a QLED model (same nano-crystal technology, different marketing names).

2. The next major factor that ST uses to determine what TVs to initially offer as part of the claim process is availability. Here is a direct quote from a ST rep's email I received in response to a question I posed when I requested a partciular Q8FN "Version" model:

"Samsung sends out models of different variations by their version numbers to different retailers. There is no possible way for us to track down which retails [sic] carry specific version numbers, not only that but we only have specific retailers we utilize when providing our replacement. Please understand that we do understand your concern however this is something that is beyond our control. You will be sent the model you selected, it will be a Samsung brand and carried under Samsung's 1 year manufacturer's warranty."

So not only does ST only use particular vendors to supply their replacement TVs, they also can only offer models for which there is existing inventory. As the previously quoted language indicates, once you choose a particular model offered by ST, then ST is committed to provide that model to you since it was considered in stock and available at the time you made your selection (however, ST suggests that you make your selection ASAP since inventory/availability levels are constantly changing). On the flip side, I had a ST rep tell me during one of my phone calls that if I didn't agree to any of their initial TV offerings, I could request that they consider a different model of my choosing -- stating the reasons why I felt that was a more appropriate choice -- and that they would respond within a few business days. The other option I was given via that same phone conversation was to not choose any of the initial offerings if none were acceptable to me, and then just wait and resubmit my request (not refiling the initial claim) so that they can then check current inventory to see if "something else pops up." But again, I didn't have to go through any of these additional hoops since I chose the 65Q8FN they offered from the start. I would confirm with ST, however, that waiting for future inventory changes is a viable option for you, and if they say that it is, to then ask what the procedure is for requesting another inventory search and also how often you can request such a search -- this is particularly critical if you are coming up against your ST warranty expiration date. If the 2019 Q80 is something you feel is more equivalent to the JS8500 than the Q60 ST offered, then you might want to just try to negotiate with them for that exact model, and use the "I'll wait to see what other models you can offer me in the future" option as a fall-back position (but check with ST first to see if that is in fact a fall-back position).

As far as the "Expecting too much?" question goes, my answer would be "no," provided you can make a logical case -- based on current pricing, tier level, and features -- as to why the Q80 is more comparable to the JS8500 than the Q60, with pricing being the most heavily-weighted factor from SquareTrade's perspective. A good starting point would be to use the model comparison tool on Samsung's website, you can compare up to four models and drill-down into the detailed specs for each to determine how the specs compare against each other and then against those for your 55" JS8500. Here's the link for comparing the 55" Q60 vs. 55" Q80, with the 55" Q70 thrown in for good measure:

https://www.samsung.com/us/compare/#...,QN55Q80RAFXZA

And here's the link to the 55" JS8500 specs (be sure to click the See All Specs option):

https://www.samsung.com/us/televisio...500fxza/#specs
poppagene and MALICIOUS ONE like this.
post #23867 of 23985 Old 06-20-2019, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for all the info. It was your thread that prompted me to even start the process. I declined their offer of the Q60, and after going around in circles with the poor guy on the phone, I requested a Q80. 🤞
post #23868 of 23985 Old 06-21-2019, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

SquareTrade agreed to my request, giving me a Q80R for replacement!
post #23869 of 23985 Old 06-22-2019, 12:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Outstanding! Best of luck with your new set.
post #23870 of 23985 Old 06-22-2019, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
When you get it, please post your impressions of it, as compared to the JS8500 here - in this thread. I want to update my JS8500 this year and it would be most valuable to have input from a long time JS8500 user.

Thanks in advance
post #23871 of 23985 Old 06-27-2019, 11:37 PM

I've just received an Email notifying me, that for Wimbledon tennis this year, the BBC will be streaming all the centre court matches in UHD HLG as the continue to trial this service.

Of course we can't enjoy the HLG on our sets but we can watch in UHD via a Roku SS+ or the 4K NowTV boxes.
post #23872 of 23985 Old 06-28-2019, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adored Black Stray-Cat View Post
I've just received an Email notifying me, that for Wimbledon tennis this year, the BBC will be streaming all the centre court matches in UHD HLG as the continue to trial this service.

Of course we can't enjoy the HLG on our sets but we can watch in UHD via a Roku SS+ or the 4K NowTV boxes.

Hopefully DirectTV will be picking up this feed as well.
post #23873 of 23985 Old 07-20-2019, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
My UN65JS8500 is now virtually impossible to see in daylight due to the lack of lighting in the center of the screen. I can only really see on the very edges.

I’ve just read on this thread that it might be worth calling in to ask for exception to being out of warranty... any details on what I should say? Having only a one year warranty on a screen like this is insane.. this was top of the line when I got it, and now apparently the repair cost is so high that it’s not realistic to repair??
post #23874 of 23985 Old 07-22-2019, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiedaniels View Post
My UN65JS8500 is now virtually impossible to see in daylight due to the lack of lighting in the center of the screen. I can only really see on the very edges.

I’ve just read on this thread that it might be worth calling in to ask for exception to being out of warranty... any details on what I should say? Having only a one year warranty on a screen like this is insane.. this was top of the line when I got it, and now apparently the repair cost is so high that it’s not realistic to repair??
I am in a similar situation. My JS8500 keeps changing the backlight and contrast settings to high no matter what I set them to. I originally had this problem a while ago and someone here told to reset my picture settings to default and then add my setting again. That worked twice for a while but no longer.

In my case it doesn't seem like the screen or backlights are the problem because they appear fine the first 2-3 mins that I put in my settings. After that, the screen goes dark no matter what I set the backlight to. If I move it to the next increment, the screen will light up accordantly to the proper settings but then go very dark again. I wonder if the problem is with the systemboard.

I will be contacting Samsung soon about this issue and I will post back here with the results. Good luck, maxiedaniels!
post #23875 of 23985 Old 07-22-2019, 09:11 AM

Has anyone else had problems getting HDR to work on this set? I currently have a un65js8500 and HDR was working some time back. Sat down to watch Blue Planet yesterday and nothing. Source was a LG 4K Blu-ray player that worked in the past. Tried several other sources as well including the TV's onboard apps and no go.

Currently running the 1540.3 firmware from the Samsung website.

Contacted support chat and they claim the set isn't capable of HDR.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
post #23876 of 23985 Old 07-22-2019, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsean View Post
I am in a similar situation. My JS8500 keeps changing the backlight and contrast settings to high no matter what I set them to. I originally had this problem a while ago and someone here told to reset my picture settings to default and then add my setting again. That worked twice for a while but no longer.

In my case it doesn't seem like the screen or backlights are the problem because they appear fine the first 2-3 mins that I put in my settings. After that, the screen goes dark no matter what I set the backlight to. If I move it to the next increment, the screen will light up accordantly to the proper settings but then go very dark again. I wonder if the problem is with the systemboard.

I will be contacting Samsung soon about this issue and I will post back here with the results. Good luck, maxiedaniels!
The backlight and contrast get reset to highest settings when the set detects HDR video or in other cases when the meta data in the video signals the set to maximize those settings.
That doesn't explain the blackouts. If the problem isn't present when watching streaming content through the smart hub, you may want to try a better different hdmi cable (premium certified would be recommended).

UN48JS8500 UN55HU6950 w/SEK-3500U UN40HU6950 w/SEK-3500U UBD-K8500 UN37C5000
post #23877 of 23985 Old 07-22-2019, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by R6unlimited View Post
Has anyone else had problems getting HDR to work on this set? I currently have a un65js8500 and HDR was working some time back. Sat down to watch Blue Planet yesterday and nothing. Source was a LG 4K Blu-ray player that worked in the past. Tried several other sources as well including the TV's onboard apps and no go.

I have no problem with HDR from streaming apps and from Samsung 4K HDR player KS8500. Support chat often doesn't know anything useful.

UN48JS8500 UN55HU6950 w/SEK-3500U UN40HU6950 w/SEK-3500U UBD-K8500 UN37C5000
post #23878 of 23985 Old 07-22-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R6unlimited View Post

Check the "HDR UHD Color" setting for the HDMI port your tv is connected. It has to be set to "ON" to get HDR.
post #23879 of 23985 Old 07-22-2019, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsean View Post
Check the "HDR UHD Color" setting for the HDMI port your tv is connected. It has to be set to "ON" to get HDR.
Had some time to play around with this again after your recommendation.

"HDMI UHD Color" is definitely turned on for HDMI 1 and also tried it on HDMI 4. Still no go.

Not sure what is wrong. I am using Insignia brand HDMI cables that state they are high speed for HDR support.

Edit: Maybe it is displaying HDR. Does it say anywhere in the menus if HDR is active?

Edit 2: I apologize everyone. I see now that while watching HDR content the backlight boosts to 20 and the contrast goes to 100 so I assume HDR is working correctly. Guess I have just been waiting for a flag or indication of some sort to show up.

Also believe my picture settings are not set up to my liking and appear very dull which made me believe HDR was not working. Looks like I have some adjustments to make.

Thanks to poppagene and mrsean for your suggestions.

Last edited by R6unlimited; 07-23-2019 at 02:02 AM.
post #23880 of 23985 Old 07-23-2019, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppagene View Post
The backlight and contrast get reset to highest settings when the set detects HDR video or in other cases when the meta data in the video signals the set to maximize those settings.
That doesn't explain the blackouts. If the problem isn't present when watching streaming content through the smart hub, you may want to try a better different hdmi cable (premium certified would be recommended).
I did what you suggested and ran a 4K HDR video from YT on the Smart Hub. Sadly, the results were the same i.e. screen darkening no matter what setting on the backlight. I think this is possibly a failed inverter board or bad capacitors on the power supply board problem which seems to be common with Samsung TVs. I've been googling around but so far I haven't read of anyone having this exact issue. Most people said there TV went completely dark and stayed that way.

I will contact Samsung tonight but I don't have much hope because of my last dealings with them with resulted in me taking them to court over a defective cellphone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
JS8500 , reflection , screen flashing black

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page