**OFFICIAL** 2015 Samsung 4K SUHD JS8500 Series TV Thread - Page 800 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9749Likes

post #23971 of 23990 Old 08-21-2019, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 893 Post(s)
Liked: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by indelible View Post
does atmos pass through the ARC on the JS8500?
no. I believe the best you can get is DD+. ARC is currently very limited on what can pass through. there might be a few tv's that have full support for Common Mode ARC, which theoretically can pass Atmos, but this tv does not (to the best of my knowledge).

HDMI 2.1 will bring eARC, which will then be able to do a lot more, including 32 channel high resolution audio.

Sony xbr65x850c Side Blooming test clips:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...br65x850c.xlsx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23972 of 23990 Old 08-28-2019, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
TLDR: Samsung/BestBuy replaced my JS8500 with a new Q90R.

I created an account just to post this. I have been following this thread for years, as a JS8500 owner, and have used many of the posts here for advice in my negotiations. I purchased my TV in May of 2015 from BestBuy. I did not purchase an extended warranty. Within the first few months of owning my JS8500, I noticed an issue with light bleed from several of the corners. It took several months, but Samsung finally agreed to a repair and ended up replacing the panel. About a year ago, some guests of ours noticed another issue where the edges of the screen were noticeably brighter than the center. It didn't bother me at the time, but over the last few months, it had gotten progressively worse; so much so that I decided to do some research on the issue.

My TV apparently had significant edge burn, so I figured I would contact Samsung to see if they would cover the repair. Their initial response was that it was out of warranty (which it was), but after explaining that they put the defective panel in the TV when they "fixed" it in 2016, they agreed to pay for the parts. I told them I wasn't satisfied with that, so they offered to cover the parts and labor as a one-time allowance.

The repair tech called and ordered the panel, then called a few days later to let me know that the parts were unavailable and it would be transferred to exchange. I called Samsung and was told that I would either be given a credit for the current value of the TV, or it would be exchanged for an equivalent model (8-series). I was told that the "exchange team" would call me within 24-48 hours to discuss my options. I was planning on arguing for a Q90R on the basis that my JS8500 had a one connect, 3D, a center stand, and a flatter back panel than the Q80R.

Two days later, I still hadn't heard back from Samsung, so I called them again and was told this time that their records showed I had agreed to an even exchange for a refurbished JS8500. Explaining that I never got a call back and didn't want someone else's broken TV, I was promised I would get a call within 24 hours. The next day, I called again, only to be told to wait another 24 hours. While waiting another day, I received an email from BestBuy informing me that my exchange had been approved. Keep in mind, at this point, I had yet to get a call from Samsung to discuss options. I ended up calling my local BestBuy and eventually spoke with a manager who told me I would be exchanging for a Q80R. I asked about the Q90R, since it is the only model with a one connect box, flat back, and center stand, and he said they could probably work out a deal to split the difference. He told me to bring my TV by the store in the morning and they would work it out.

I did exactly that. When I got there, I met with a manager who was trying to figure out what the exchange Samsung approved would be. The documents they sent did not indicate a model for the exchange, so they called Samsung. Samsung told them to have me call and ask for the exchange team, which I did. I spent another 45 minutes on the phone with Samsung while in the BestBuy store, only to be left with another promise of receiving a call in 24 hours. After spending 2-1/2 hours at BestBuy, trying to wade through all of the confusion, the manager decided to check to see how much the difference was between the Q90R and my return. The Q90R is currently on sale for $2,800 in my area, and I paid $3,000 for the JS8500. In the end, I walked out of the store with a new Q90R and a $220 credit on my BestBuy card. I think he just felt sorry for me and pushed it through.

It took a week of almost daily calls, and hours of time on the phone, but I am completely satisfied with the service I received from BestBuy. Can't say enough good things about them!
post #23973 of 23990 Old 08-29-2019, 04:39 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsjr View Post

It took a week of almost daily calls, and hours of time on the phone, but I am completely satisfied with the service I received from BestBuy. Can't say enough good things about them!

Well done for being so persistent and it having paid off. It's always good to read a good news story, I hope your new TV serves you well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23974 of 23990 Old 08-29-2019, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

In the end, I walked out of the store with a new Q90R and a $220 credit on my BestBuy card. I think he just felt sorry for me and pushed it through.

Great tale. Can you tell me if you like the Q90R as much or more than the JS8500? I am on the verge of updating and the Q90R is the TV I'd like to get (Even though the OLED C9 costs $200 cheaper). So, I'd appreciate your first impressions.

Thanks
post #23975 of 23990 Old 08-29-2019, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post
Great tale. Can you tell me if you like the Q90R as much or more than the JS8500? I am on the verge of updating and the Q90R is the TV I'd like to get (Even though the OLED C9 costs $200 cheaper). So, I'd appreciate your first impressions.

Thanks
I find the picture has much darker blacks and richer colors. It is also significantly brighter than my JS8500. The side profile of the Q90R is thicker, and I somewhat miss the silver bezel, but the thin, dark grey bezel of the Q90R is also very nice. From the front, that's really the only difference I notice. The smart hub is much better and faster than my JS8500, which is to be expected. I miss the pointer option for the remote, but I'm finding I have less of a use for that feature now anyway. Picture quality is, in my opinion, much better than the JS8500, as is the sound production. You can actually hear the mid and bass range through the TV speakers. The one connect box is bigger, but I have mine in a cabinet with the invisible cable running through the wall to the TV. That actually simplified things for me, considering how short the original one connect mini cable was. The new cable is around 15' long, and was more than enough for my install.

All said, I am very happy with the Q90R, even after coming from the JS8500. So far, no complaints.
post #23976 of 23990 Old 08-29-2019, 08:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I find the picture has much darker blacks and richer colors.

All said, I am very happy with the Q90R, even after coming from the JS8500. So far, no complaints.
Great info that will help me decide. Thanks!
post #23977 of 23990 Old 08-30-2019, 02:00 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 260 Post(s)
Quoted: 12683 Post(s)
Liked: 11920
Quote:
I find the picture has much darker blacks and richer colors. It is also significantly brighter than my JS8500. The side profile of the Q90R is thicker, and I somewhat miss the silver bezel, but the thin, dark grey bezel of the Q90R is also very nice. From the front, that's really the only difference I notice. The smart hub is much better and faster than my JS8500, which is to be expected. I miss the pointer option for the remote, but I'm finding I have less of a use for that feature now anyway. Picture quality is, in my opinion, much better than the JS8500, as is the sound production. You can actually hear the mid and bass range through the TV speakers. The one connect box is bigger, but I have mine in a cabinet with the invisible cable running through the wall to the TV. That actually simplified things for me, considering how short the original one connect mini cable was. The new cable is around 15' long, and was more than enough for my install.

Keeping that one connect box in an enclosed cabinet is a big no no. Because it now acts as a power supply, it can get very hot and becomes a fire hazard. There are many stories on AVS of those enclosed OCBs overheating in cabinets and shutting down the TV.
post #23978 of 23990 Old 08-30-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
Keeping that one connect box in an enclosed cabinet is a big no no. Because it now acts as a power supply, it can get very hot and becomes a fire hazard. There are many stories on AVS of those enclosed OCBs overheating in cabinets and shutting down the TV.
Thanks for the tip. I knew that heat would be an issue since it now carries the power supply. It's in a vented cabinet with a PC fan blowing the hot air out. The cabinet also houses my NVR and PS4 Pro, which has never had a problem with overheating. I typically keep the doors open when in use, but I like to hide everything when we have company over.
post #23979 of 23990 Old 09-09-2019, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:

I created an account just to post this. I have been following this thread for years, as a JS8500 owner, and have used many of the posts here for advice in my negotiations. I purchased my TV in May of 2015 from BestBuy. I did not purchase an extended warranty. Within the first few months of owning my JS8500, I noticed an issue with light bleed from several of the corners. It took several months, but Samsung finally agreed to a repair and ended up replacing the panel. About a year ago, some guests of ours noticed another issue where the edges of the screen were noticeably brighter than the center. It didn't bother me at the time, but over the last few months, it had gotten progressively worse; so much so that I decided to do some research on the issue.

My TV apparently had significant edge burn, so I figured I would contact Samsung to see if they would cover the repair. Their initial response was that it was out of warranty (which it was), but after explaining that they put the defective panel in the TV when they "fixed" it in 2016, they agreed to pay for the parts. I told them I wasn't satisfied with that, so they offered to cover the parts and labor as a one-time allowance.

The repair tech called and ordered the panel, then called a few days later to let me know that the parts were unavailable and it would be transferred to exchange. I called Samsung and was told that I would either be given a credit for the current value of the TV, or it would be exchanged for an equivalent model (8-series). I was told that the "exchange team" would call me within 24-48 hours to discuss my options. I was planning on arguing for a Q90R on the basis that my JS8500 had a one connect, 3D, a center stand, and a flatter back panel than the Q80R.

Two days later, I still hadn't heard back from Samsung, so I called them again and was told this time that their records showed I had agreed to an even exchange for a refurbished JS8500. Explaining that I never got a call back and didn't want someone else's broken TV, I was promised I would get a call within 24 hours. The next day, I called again, only to be told to wait another 24 hours. While waiting another day, I received an email from BestBuy informing me that my exchange had been approved. Keep in mind, at this point, I had yet to get a call from Samsung to discuss options. I ended up calling my local BestBuy and eventually spoke with a manager who told me I would be exchanging for a Q80R. I asked about the Q90R, since it is the only model with a one connect box, flat back, and center stand, and he said they could probably work out a deal to split the difference. He told me to bring my TV by the store in the morning and they would work it out.

I did exactly that. When I got there, I met with a manager who was trying to figure out what the exchange Samsung approved would be. The documents they sent did not indicate a model for the exchange, so they called Samsung. Samsung told them to have me call and ask for the exchange team, which I did. I spent another 45 minutes on the phone with Samsung while in the BestBuy store, only to be left with another promise of receiving a call in 24 hours. After spending 2-1/2 hours at BestBuy, trying to wade through all of the confusion, the manager decided to check to see how much the difference was between the Q90R and my return. The Q90R is currently on sale for $2,800 in my area, and I paid $3,000 for the JS8500. In the end, I walked out of the store with a new Q90R and a $220 credit on my BestBuy card. I think he just felt sorry for me and pushed it through.

What size JS8500 did you have ?
post #23980 of 23990 Old 09-09-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisBean View Post
What size JS8500 did you have ?
I had the 65JS8500 and got a 65” Q90R in the exchange.
post #23981 of 23990 Old 09-28-2019, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Does this TV support HLC HDR?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #23982 of 23990 Old 09-28-2019, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 406
It does not.
post #23983 of 23990 Old 09-28-2019, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmdorsey View Post
It does not.

That stinks. Thanks for the reply though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #23984 of 23990 Old 10-05-2019, 08:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 292
That 82 inch 8k TV from Samsung is down to $6000 from $10,000. If but it were 3d capable, that's where my money would be..............

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
post #23985 of 23990 Old 10-13-2019, 02:57 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Just a heads up, it looks like the next Sir David Attenborough nature series, Seven Worlds, One Planet, will also be part of the BBC UHD HLG trials on the Iplayer. Starts Oct 27th. Of course the HLG is not an option on the JS models, but the UHD can be accessed via HMDI using a suitable NowTV or Roku SS+ box.

Last edited by Adored Black Stray-Cat; 10-13-2019 at 05:55 AM.
post #23986 of 23990 Old 10-15-2019, 06:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Well, after living with my light bleed from the left edge for a while, I finally called Square Trade and reported the defect and they replaced my 65JS8500 with a Samsung 65Q7FN and this panel is clean. So I will be moving on from the JS8500 but really liked the overall picture minus the light bleed.

My set up: Samsung UN82nu8000 LED TV, Marantz SR7012, Emotiva XPA3, Sony UBP-X800
Roku 4k Premier, Panamax MR4000, 2 Marantz MA-500U, Klipsch RB81II (L/R),
RC62II (center), R-1650-W (surrounds), RB61II (Rear Surrounds),
Monoprice 6.5" in ceiling speaker (top front/rear), Two Klipsch R-10SW subwoofer
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1227096
post #23987 of 23990 Old 10-15-2019, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Travis and the 3D

Living Room: Samsung UN65JS8500, Onkyo TX-NR656, Klipsch R-28F, Klipsch RC-62II, Klipsch R-14S, Polk Audio 80 FX/RT(Atmos)
Bedroom: Samsung UN55MU6290, Onkyo TX-RZ610, Onkyo & Fluance speakers
Garage: Benq HT2050A, Elite Screens 125" motorized screen, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RP-150M, Klipsch RP-450C , 2 x Klipsch CDT-3800 II for Atmos, Klipsch RW10
post #23988 of 23990 Old Yesterday, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Seems I still need to tweak some settings to get it right. While streaming there seems to be "wavey" areas in some sky shots or some "haze" while a character moves a bit to fast. I want the TV to be sharp or clear without any distortion. It's minor but noticeable and I'm using a 4k Roku streamers. Small haze is also noticeable on some 4k discs, anyone know what settings I need to change? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Onkyo 1030 7.2.2 Set up.Klipsch VF-35 front left/rightKlipsch VC-25 center speakerOnkyo SKH-410 Atmos SpeakersOnkyo SKF-560F back surround speakers.Klipsch Synergy S1 surround.Onkyo 12in. sub.Polk Audio PSW505OPPO BDP-103 PS3PS4
post #23989 of 23990 Old Yesterday, 09:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocielz View Post
Seems I still need to tweak some settings to get it right. While streaming there seems to be "wavey" areas in some sky shots or some "haze" while a character moves a bit to fast. I want the TV to be sharp or clear without any distortion. It's minor but noticeable and I'm using a 4k Roku streamers. Small haze is also noticeable on some 4k discs, anyone know what settings I need to change? Thanks.

Have you tried the settings in the first post? I used the first one and tweaked a few things and don't really have any problems. Of course streaming is much lower bit rate than a disk so I often see stuff in the sky and the motion often isn't as smooth as I'd like if I look for problems. 4K discs should look good if the source was good, but not all source material is without flaw.

The trick for me is to try to enjoy the shows themselves and not go out of my way to find problems.
post #23990 of 23990 Old Yesterday, 10:01 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post
Have you tried the settings in the first post? I used the first one and tweaked a few things and don't really have any problems. Of course streaming is much lower bit rate than a disk so I often see stuff in the sky and the motion often isn't as smooth as I'd like if I look for problems. 4K discs should look good if the source was good, but not all source material is without flaw.

The trick for me is to try to enjoy the shows themselves and not go out of my way to find problems.
I'll check them out in the morning.

I try watching movies and shows but sometimes it's really noticeable and distraction. The wavey lines in the sky are more noticeable while streaming and rarely in 4k discs. Just watched The Conjuring Blu-ray and out had a couple of blurry effects while they walked, nothing huge but still there.

Onkyo 1030 7.2.2 Set up.Klipsch VF-35 front left/rightKlipsch VC-25 center speakerOnkyo SKH-410 Atmos SpeakersOnkyo SKF-560F back surround speakers.Klipsch Synergy S1 surround.Onkyo 12in. sub.Polk Audio PSW505OPPO BDP-103 PS3PS4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
JS8500 , reflection , screen flashing black

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page