**OFFICIAL** 2015 Samsung 4K SUHD JS8500 Series TV Thread - Page 802 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9811Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #24031 of 24072 Old 11-11-2019, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member
 
mc_avs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Posts: 582
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathloki View Post
Who was your service plan with? Mine are with Best Buy and Smartguard. I know Best Buy you can cash out at the value of whatever TV they deem comparable to upgrade to something else and pay the difference but I have no idea how Smartguard does things.
I'm in Australia & purchased it from The Good Guys & paid extra through there Concierge Warranty. They all generally work the same way in all countries though & most are underwritten by the same global insurance companies. Only difference would be laws in different countries, here in Australia we have a thing called "Consumer Law" where by we don't necessarily need an extended warranty to initiate this law & this was also apart of my argument with them.

Lounge - Sony 65" A8F OLED, Pioneer SC-LX59 9.2 Receiver, Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-Ray Player, JBL Studio 180 Speaker Series, ELAC Debut A4 Atmos Modules setup as 5.1.4, Sony PS4 Pro, Logitech Harmony Elite. Bedroom - Samsung UA55C8000 3D LED, Sony PS3.
mc_avs is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24032 of 24072 Old 11-11-2019, 05:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wrathloki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,024
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_avs View Post
I'm in Australia & purchased it from The Good Guys & paid extra through there Concierge Warranty. They all generally work the same way in all countries though & most are underwritten by the same global insurance companies. Only difference would be laws in different countries, here in Australia we have a thing called "Consumer Law" where by we don't necessarily need an extended warranty to initiate this law & this was also apart of my argument with them.
Oh that explains it, we don’t really have consumer law here in the US. (I joke, kind of, our consumer laws do suck.)
wrathloki is offline  
post #24033 of 24072 Old 11-11-2019, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member
 
mc_avs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Posts: 582
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathloki View Post
Oh that explains it, we don’t really have consumer law here in the US. (I joke, kind of, our consumer laws do suck.)
I gathered that may be the case. Our consumer laws here in Australia are pretty good where we get protected from the big companies.

Lounge - Sony 65" A8F OLED, Pioneer SC-LX59 9.2 Receiver, Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-Ray Player, JBL Studio 180 Speaker Series, ELAC Debut A4 Atmos Modules setup as 5.1.4, Sony PS4 Pro, Logitech Harmony Elite. Bedroom - Samsung UA55C8000 3D LED, Sony PS3.
mc_avs is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24034 of 24072 Old 11-12-2019, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member
 
Chodite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 524
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Add me as another victim of the dark in the middle and light bleed on the sides. 65" model here. So pissed. Purchased August 2015.

Funny thing is, I guess I was just used to it for a while. I recently had company over for a football game and everybody was asking what was wrong with my TV. I just ran a local dimming test on YouTube and it is awful how dark the circles get as they move to the middle as compared to the sides
[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif[/IMG]
Chodite is offline  
post #24035 of 24072 Old 11-12-2019, 11:11 AM
Senior Member
 
tibimakai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Los Angeles CA
Posts: 366
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I few years ago, I was repairing and selling(flipping) broken TVs and I have realized, that these new flat screen TVs, won't last only a few years. In my opinion, is not worth spending to much for a TV.

Living Room: Samsung UN65JS8500,Onkyo TX-NR676,Klipsch R-28F,Klipsch RC-62II,Klipsch R-14S,Polk Audio 80 FX/RT(Atmos)
Bedroom: Samsung UN55MU6290,Onkyo TX-RZ610,Onkyo & Fluance speakers
Garage: Epson 5040UB,Elite Screens 125" motorized screen,2xKlipsch RP-160M,4xKlipsch RP-150M,Klipsch RP-450C ,2xKlipsch CDT-3800II-Atmos,Klipsch R115SW,Klipsch R110SW
tibimakai is offline  
post #24036 of 24072 Old 11-14-2019, 03:57 PM
Newbie
 
NateDM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Add me to the list of people with the light bleed issue. Also purchased in August of 2015 from Costco. I called them today and they told me I was out of luck and should have bought a Square Trade warranty. Really frustrating considering the TV was so damn expensive - definitely not happy with Costco especially after being told for years how great their customer service is and the one time I need it, nothing.
TravisBean likes this.
NateDM is offline  
post #24037 of 24072 Old 11-14-2019, 04:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wrathloki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,024
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by NateDM View Post
Add me to the list of people with the light bleed issue. Also purchased in August of 2015 from Costco. I called them today and they told me I was out of luck and should have bought a Square Trade warranty. Really frustrating considering the TV was so damn expensive - definitely not happy with Costco especially after being told for years how great their customer service is and the one time I need it, nothing.
Costco’s return policy for electronics, unlike everything else, is 90 days. Their unlimited return policy only applies to non-electronics and their warranty extension is only a year over manufacturer. So I’m not sure what you expected them to do. They’re right, you should have gotten a square trade warranty. It’s a no brainer for TVs these days.
TravisBean likes this.
wrathloki is offline  
post #24038 of 24072 Old 11-14-2019, 04:34 PM
Senior Member
 
tibimakai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Los Angeles CA
Posts: 366
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 59
What exactly happens inside the TV that causes this light bleed? Bad LED, something has melted?
I would probably take it apart, and I would look at it. You don't have anything to lose.
My screen, it was replaced right after I have removed it from the box. Knock on wood, still runs OK, but I agree, that these days with all the TVs you need warranty. Specially with the expensive ones.
My thought is that is not worth spending to much on a TV these days, they will last you only a few years anyway. They break down fast, and technology advances even faster.

Living Room: Samsung UN65JS8500,Onkyo TX-NR676,Klipsch R-28F,Klipsch RC-62II,Klipsch R-14S,Polk Audio 80 FX/RT(Atmos)
Bedroom: Samsung UN55MU6290,Onkyo TX-RZ610,Onkyo & Fluance speakers
Garage: Epson 5040UB,Elite Screens 125" motorized screen,2xKlipsch RP-160M,4xKlipsch RP-150M,Klipsch RP-450C ,2xKlipsch CDT-3800II-Atmos,Klipsch R115SW,Klipsch R110SW
tibimakai is offline  
post #24039 of 24072 Old 11-14-2019, 10:06 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 18
So Square Trade offered me initially a Q60. I called today and declined, explained my reasons. I started with how unhappy i had been with the initial decline of my claim and then refusing to even let me speak to someone about why. The rep on the phone did his job. Apologized for what happened, seemed to agree with me that the offer was "light" when compared to my TV. I hit on the "Tier" of the TV, lack of a one connect, no local dimming, etc. He even added that my JS850D has 3 USB ports and the Q60 only has 2. So he makes notes and forwards on my request. Within a couple of hours, I get an email offering me a QN65Q7FN, which I believe is the 2018 equivalent of the Q70.

Is that correct? Does anyone have that TV or familiar with it? Thoughts on comparing it to my JS850D (8500)?

Still looking for help here. Read back a bit in this thread and I know at least one or two received the Q80 as a replacement. How would this Q7FN compare to this year's Q80?

Thanks in advance!
Chris
Chris Jenkins 35124 is offline  
post #24040 of 24072 Old 11-15-2019, 05:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
poppagene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Alameda, CA
Posts: 1,546
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Jenkins 35124 View Post
So Square Trade offered me initially a Q60. I called today and declined, explained my reasons. I started with how unhappy i had been with the initial decline of my claim and then refusing to even let me speak to someone about why. The rep on the phone did his job. Apologized for what happened, seemed to agree with me that the offer was "light" when compared to my TV. I hit on the "Tier" of the TV, lack of a one connect, no local dimming, etc. He even added that my JS850D has 3 USB ports and the Q60 only has 2. So he makes notes and forwards on my request. Within a couple of hours, I get an email offering me a QN65Q7FN, which I believe is the 2018 equivalent of the Q70.

Is that correct? Does anyone have that TV or familiar with it? Thoughts on comparing it to my JS850D (8500)?

Still looking for help here. Read back a bit in this thread and I know at least one or two received the Q80 as a replacement. How would this Q7FN compare to this year's Q80?

Thanks in advance!
Chris
JS8500 vs Q7FN

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/comp...&threshold=0.1

Q80 vs Q7FN

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/comp...&threshold=0.1

UN48JS8500 UN55HU6950 w/SEK-3500U UN40HU6950 w/SEK-3500U UBD-K8500 UN37C5000

Last edited by poppagene; 11-15-2019 at 06:07 AM.
poppagene is online now  
post #24041 of 24072 Old 11-15-2019, 05:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jnnt29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Lower Delaware
Posts: 1,100
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Jenkins 35124 View Post
So Square Trade offered me initially a Q60. I called today and declined, explained my reasons. I started with how unhappy i had been with the initial decline of my claim and then refusing to even let me speak to someone about why. The rep on the phone did his job. Apologized for what happened, seemed to agree with me that the offer was "light" when compared to my TV. I hit on the "Tier" of the TV, lack of a one connect, no local dimming, etc. He even added that my JS850D has 3 USB ports and the Q60 only has 2. So he makes notes and forwards on my request. Within a couple of hours, I get an email offering me a QN65Q7FN, which I believe is the 2018 equivalent of the Q70.

Is that correct? Does anyone have that TV or familiar with it? Thoughts on comparing it to my JS850D (8500)?

Still looking for help here. Read back a bit in this thread and I know at least one or two received the Q80 as a replacement. How would this Q7FN compare to this year's Q80?

Thanks in advance!
Chris
The Q7FN is what they replaced mine with. It is from the 2018 line and it has the full size one connect box. The picture is much better then the JS8500 to me with deeper colors and brighter. If I remember correctly the JS8500 is HDR compatible and the Q7FN is fully HDR.

My set up: Samsung UN82nu8000 LED TV, Marantz SR7012, Emotiva XPA3, Sony UBP-X800
Roku 4k Premier, Panamax MR4000, 2 Marantz MA-500U, Klipsch KLF10 (L/R),
RC62II (center), R-1650-W (surrounds), RB81II (Rear Surrounds),
Monoprice 6.5" in ceiling speaker (top front/rear), Two Klipsch R-10SW subwoofer
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1227096
jnnt29 is offline  
post #24042 of 24072 Old 11-16-2019, 02:08 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Pick up a 65 in q7 on Amazon dirt cheap at just over a thousand dollars,,3x cheaper than my js8500,,,first impressions are very dissapponted with the black levels of the tv,yes it can get very bright but letter box movies are completely unwatchable due to the terrible blooming,colors on the other hand are pretty good,not as vibrant as my js8500.i didnt expext much of the tv since its obviously a lower end qled but still it did not meet my expectations..can anyone give me some setting for the q7 since alot of yaw that had the 8500 bought this tv..i will post some side by side pictures of both tvs later on,,js8500 is definitely looking better
Cev8500 is offline  
post #24043 of 24072 Old 11-17-2019, 10:54 PM
Member
 
mrsean's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnnt29 View Post
The Q7FN is what they replaced mine with. It is from the 2018 line and it has the full size one connect box. The picture is much better then the JS8500 to me with deeper colors and brighter. If I remember correctly the JS8500 is HDR compatible and the Q7FN is fully HDR.
Uh? Can you please elaborate on the differences?
mrsean is offline  
post #24044 of 24072 Old 11-18-2019, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jnnt29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Lower Delaware
Posts: 1,100
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsean View Post
Uh? Can you please elaborate on the differences?
The Samsung JS8500's spec state that it is "Wide Color Enhancer PlusWide Color Enhancer". When I got my UN8500 the colors popped and the brightness was a big difference from my Panasonic VT60.. Fast forward to the 65Q7FN and the Samsung specs says "HDR (High-Dynamic Range)Q HDR Elit". The colors seem deeper and more distinct and most important there is absolutely no light bleed from the edges.

4K.com indicates in their review,-“Now here’s the weirdest thing about the Samsung Q7FN: Despite being the third-tier model among Samsung’s 2018 QLED TVs, this particular television generates the absolute best overall wide color gamut coverage among the bunch. That’s right, when it comes to the rendering of the wide color gamut necessary for truly stunning high dynamic range video and general content viewing, the Q7FN is the best performer we’ve reviewed so far among Samsung’s TVs. Even the Q9FN only manages a bit less than 98% DCI-P3 color space coverage while the Q8FN delivers roughly 97% as well. The Q7FN on the other hand nails right under 100%. These particular variations are so small that they barely make a visual difference and some specific units might get different measurements from others. However, this curious detail is worth mentioning. Most importantly, what it means in practical terms is that the Q7FN is an absolutely fantastic color performer by any standard and it will deliver as well as even the best 4K TVs on today’s market despite its lower price."

4K.com continues to say, "As we said above, the Q7FN is distinguished from the Q9FN and the Q8FN in that this model doesn’t deliver quite as much overall brightness as its two cousins. Well, yes, this is true but the Q7FN does do one odd thing. It’s absolute peak brightness for a 10% portion of the display is the highest we’ve ever seen in any 4K HDR TV of any kind, and this by itself is impressive. That aside, in terms of overall general and sustained brightness, this TV still gets insanely bright by the standards of the absolute majority of 4K HDR TVs on the market today. Its smaller and larger measurements of peak brightness and overall levels of sustained brightness are all also exceptionally high, just not quite as generally high as those of the Q8FN or the Q9FN –which is today’s absolute brightest TV in terms of average sustained and peak display luminosity measurements."

4K.com starts off the review of the JS8500 by stating, "To start off, this line of TVs offer dynamic range augmentation of a slightly limited sort. This means that while you don’t get the full HDR-readiness like that of Peak Illuminator Ultimate found in the JS9500 SUHD line, you still get some great dynamic range performance thanks to the JS8500’s Peak Illuminator Pro, brightness enhancing technology."


4K.com states that the JS8500 was "While the JS8500 lacks the full-array LED lighting of its pricier cousin the JS9500, the edge-lit array available here is nonetheless made up of the brightest LEDs on the market and this does plenty to compensate in terms of luminance. Thus, what you still get is an excellent level of picture brightness that’s augmented further still by quantum dot nano-crystal technology."

Though the JS8500 has a great picture with colors that popped the Q7 takes it up a step and I can see the difference immediately. Colors are deep and the picture uniformity are very good.

My set up: Samsung UN82nu8000 LED TV, Marantz SR7012, Emotiva XPA3, Sony UBP-X800
Roku 4k Premier, Panamax MR4000, 2 Marantz MA-500U, Klipsch KLF10 (L/R),
RC62II (center), R-1650-W (surrounds), RB81II (Rear Surrounds),
Monoprice 6.5" in ceiling speaker (top front/rear), Two Klipsch R-10SW subwoofer
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1227096
jnnt29 is offline  
post #24045 of 24072 Old 11-18-2019, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
poppagene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Alameda, CA
Posts: 1,546
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsean View Post
Uh? Can you please elaborate on the differences?
Poster is just making it up. Only difference is that newer sets have better technology. No surprise there.
jnnt29 likes this.

UN48JS8500 UN55HU6950 w/SEK-3500U UN40HU6950 w/SEK-3500U UBD-K8500 UN37C5000
poppagene is online now  
post #24046 of 24072 Old 11-20-2019, 06:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
TravisBean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,054
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 301
There you have it, folks. 29 Grand for a TV and no 3d.
Bah humbug.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-88-c...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
TravisBean is offline  
post #24047 of 24072 Old 11-20-2019, 05:32 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Finally came to an agreement with Square Trade on the replacement of my JS850D. It took some back and forth. They refused my request for a Q90R (big shock). I had argued that since they had approved Q80Rs in the past, the recent price drop would make the Q90R cheaper than what they paid for those Q80s. Once I mentioned the Q80, they replied back that they could authorize a one time exception and provide a Q80R. I got confirmation of the order and a ship date this afternoon.

I would have loved to get the Q90, but never really expected it. From the beginning the Q80 was my target. i figured if they were going to start with a Q60 and lowball me (in my mind), I'd start high with the Q90. I guessed it worked. I should have the new TV Dec. 3rd. Looking forward to it.
Chris Jenkins 35124 is offline  
post #24048 of 24072 Old 11-21-2019, 06:59 PM
Advanced Member
 
mc_avs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Posts: 582
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Jenkins 35124 View Post
Finally came to an agreement with Square Trade on the replacement of my JS850D. It took some back and forth. They refused my request for a Q90R (big shock). I had argued that since they had approved Q80Rs in the past, the recent price drop would make the Q90R cheaper than what they paid for those Q80s. Once I mentioned the Q80, they replied back that they could authorize a one time exception and provide a Q80R. I got confirmation of the order and a ship date this afternoon.

I would have loved to get the Q90, but never really expected it. From the beginning the Q80 was my target. i figured if they were going to start with a Q60 and lowball me (in my mind), I'd start high with the Q90. I guessed it worked. I should have the new TV Dec. 3rd. Looking forward to it.
Glad you finally came to a suitable conclusion to your saga. Hopefully the new TV goes well mate.

Lounge - Sony 65" A8F OLED, Pioneer SC-LX59 9.2 Receiver, Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-Ray Player, JBL Studio 180 Speaker Series, ELAC Debut A4 Atmos Modules setup as 5.1.4, Sony PS4 Pro, Logitech Harmony Elite. Bedroom - Samsung UA55C8000 3D LED, Sony PS3.
mc_avs is offline  
post #24049 of 24072 Old 11-21-2019, 08:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jnnt29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Lower Delaware
Posts: 1,100
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Jenkins 35124 View Post
Finally came to an agreement with Square Trade on the replacement of my JS850D. It took some back and forth. They refused my request for a Q90R (big shock). I had argued that since they had approved Q80Rs in the past, the recent price drop would make the Q90R cheaper than what they paid for those Q80s. Once I mentioned the Q80, they replied back that they could authorize a one time exception and provide a Q80R. I got confirmation of the order and a ship date this afternoon.

I would have loved to get the Q90, but never really expected it. From the beginning the Q80 was my target. i figured if they were going to start with a Q60 and lowball me (in my mind), I'd start high with the Q90. I guessed it worked. I should have the new TV Dec. 3rd. Looking forward to it.
I really happy this worked out for. You’ll be very happy with the Q80. The sad part is the JS8500 is a very good TV with light bleed that ruined it. Best of luck with Q80

My set up: Samsung UN82nu8000 LED TV, Marantz SR7012, Emotiva XPA3, Sony UBP-X800
Roku 4k Premier, Panamax MR4000, 2 Marantz MA-500U, Klipsch KLF10 (L/R),
RC62II (center), R-1650-W (surrounds), RB81II (Rear Surrounds),
Monoprice 6.5" in ceiling speaker (top front/rear), Two Klipsch R-10SW subwoofer
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1227096
jnnt29 is offline  
post #24050 of 24072 Old 11-24-2019, 01:16 PM
Senior Member
 
tibimakai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Los Angeles CA
Posts: 366
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I haven't used my Xbox One S for a quite a while and when I turned it on, it needed some updates, so I did that.
After this, the Xbox won't recognize my TV as a 4K TV.
What could be the problem? It used to be recognized, as a 4K TV, and only Dolby Vision was in red.

Living Room: Samsung UN65JS8500,Onkyo TX-NR676,Klipsch R-28F,Klipsch RC-62II,Klipsch R-14S,Polk Audio 80 FX/RT(Atmos)
Bedroom: Samsung UN55MU6290,Onkyo TX-RZ610,Onkyo & Fluance speakers
Garage: Epson 5040UB,Elite Screens 125" motorized screen,2xKlipsch RP-160M,4xKlipsch RP-150M,Klipsch RP-450C ,2xKlipsch CDT-3800II-Atmos,Klipsch R115SW,Klipsch R110SW
tibimakai is offline  
post #24051 of 24072 Old 11-30-2019, 06:22 PM
Member
 
swantzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tampabay, FL
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 14
HDR Settings.

Been watching Amazon Prime HDR programs and I am not impressed with it other than using demo material. It is not comfortable to watch. The 4K is awesome but uncomfortable with very bright objects and very dark objects in the same scene. Too much contrast, but I guess that is what HDR is supposed to be? Any comments?

Did a search for HDR but the search engine said HDR was too short to search.

"A Monsters Work is Never Done"
swantzilla is offline  
post #24052 of 24072 Old 11-30-2019, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wrathloki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,024
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by swantzilla View Post
HDR Settings.

Been watching Amazon Prime HDR programs and I am not impressed with it other than using demo material. It is not comfortable to watch. The 4K is awesome but uncomfortable with very bright objects and very dark objects in the same scene. Too much contrast, but I guess that is what HDR is supposed to be? Any comments?

Did a search for HDR but the search engine said HDR was too short to search.
That is the purpose of HDR. If you don’t like it on this TV then I don’t know what to say, this TV doesn’t even get very bright compared to newer models and certainly doesn’t get as dark as OLEDs.
wrathloki is offline  
post #24053 of 24072 Old 11-30-2019, 07:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wrathloki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,024
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 342
So I’ve noticed some strange behavior with the TV. For some background, I have the TV outputting to my soundbar via optical. Now I know the TV doesn’t pass a 5.1 signal from HDMI devices to the optical out, only from the onboard apps. When I’m watching an HDMI source I know my soundbar is getting a stereo signal when the Prologic IIx light illuminates. So, last week after I connected my Fire Stick 4k via HDMI and set the audio output to “Dolby Digital Only” I noticed that when watching most things, the Prologic IIx light does not illuminate, suggesting my soundbar is receiving a 5.1 signal from the TV. There are a few things that I watch that will cause the Prologic IIx light to illuminate, suggesting a Stereo signal. Is it possible that the TV is somehow passing a 5.1 signal via optical from a HDMI device? Could it be because the Fire Stick 4k is an Anynet device?

Edit: FYI the Fire Stick 4K is connected to HDMI4 which I believe is ARC. I’m not sure if that matters or not. I did previously have my PS4 connected to HDMI4 but that didn’t appear to have Anynet functionality and sent out a stereo (Prologic IIx light) signal.

Last edited by wrathloki; 11-30-2019 at 08:14 PM.
wrathloki is offline  
post #24054 of 24072 Old 12-02-2019, 10:09 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 205
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Folks, I've gone to the dark side Just bought a 77inch C9 OLED. Will continue to visit this thread as I still have the JS8500. It will be a secondary TV in my bedroom. JS8500 is still a great TV especially with 3D. But I'm looking forward for perfect blacks and infinite contrast.

LG OLED C9 77", Samsung UN65JS8500, Onkyo TX-NR747, Oppo UDP-203, Samsung UBD-K8500, Focal speakers, SVS dual subs.
srijan is offline  
post #24055 of 24072 Old 12-02-2019, 08:05 PM
Member
 
jala12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone have any good recommendations on display settings for 4K HDR content on the JS8500? Specifically UHD discs.
jala12 is offline  
post #24056 of 24072 Old 12-02-2019, 08:25 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathloki View Post
So I’ve noticed some strange behavior with the TV. For some background, I have the TV outputting to my soundbar via optical. Now I know the TV doesn’t pass a 5.1 signal from HDMI devices to the optical out, only from the onboard apps. When I’m watching an HDMI source I know my soundbar is getting a stereo signal when the Prologic IIx light illuminates. So, last week after I connected my Fire Stick 4k via HDMI and set the audio output to “Dolby Digital Only” I noticed that when watching most things, the Prologic IIx light does not illuminate, suggesting my soundbar is receiving a 5.1 signal from the TV. There are a few things that I watch that will cause the Prologic IIx light to illuminate, suggesting a Stereo signal. Is it possible that the TV is somehow passing a 5.1 signal via optical from a HDMI device? Could it be because the Fire Stick 4k is an Anynet device?

Edit: FYI the Fire Stick 4K is connected to HDMI4 which I believe is ARC. I’m not sure if that matters or not. I did previously have my PS4 connected to HDMI4 but that didn’t appear to have Anynet functionality and sent out a stereo (Prologic IIx light) signal.
As far as I know, the JS8500 has always been able to pass 5.1 from an HDMI input to the optical output. I use optical as well and have never had a problem with that.

It's the HD formats that optical can't pass. But 5.1 is possible.
Eric2203 is offline  
post #24057 of 24072 Old 12-02-2019, 08:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wrathloki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,024
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric2203 View Post
As far as I know, the JS8500 has always been able to pass 5.1 from an HDMI input to the optical output. I use optical as well and have never had a problem with that.

It's the HD formats that optical can't pass. But 5.1 is possible.
If you look at the specs it says it can’t. I’ve never been able to get more than a stereo signal from my Xbox One, PS4, cable box, or PC. All routed via HDMI to the TV and optical from the TV to the soundbar. But this Fire Stick seems to be doing otherwise.
wrathloki is offline  
post #24058 of 24072 Old 12-02-2019, 09:51 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathloki View Post
If you look at the specs it says it can’t. I’ve never been able to get more than a stereo signal from my Xbox One, PS4, cable box, or PC. All routed via HDMI to the TV and optical from the TV to the soundbar. But this Fire Stick seems to be doing otherwise.
What is the setting Sound / Additional Settings / Audio Format set to? With my cable box (Xfinity box on HDMI input #1 ), I have that setting set to Dolby Digital and I get 5.1 from the optical out. If I switch this setting to PCM, then I get 2.0 only. Note: HDMI Audio Format is set to bitstream, not PCM.
Eric2203 is offline  
post #24059 of 24072 Old 12-02-2019, 10:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wrathloki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,024
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric2203 View Post
What is the setting Sound / Additional Settings / Audio Format set to? With my cable box (Xfinity box on HDMI input #1 ), I have that setting set to Dolby Digital and I get 5.1 from the optical out. If I switch this setting to PCM, then I get 2.0 only. Note: HDMI Audio Format is set to bitstream, not PCM.
Hmm this is working now for my other devices. I could never get it working before. Dolby Digital was always grayed out on this TV. I don’t understand technology sometimes.

Now my new problem is that on my other JS8500, ever since I hooked up a Roku to it, I can only get stereo sound going to my AVR. I have the AVR connected to my TV via HDMI 4 (ARC) and cable box, 4k blu-Ray, and Roku on HDMI 1-3. When I check the audio settings Dolby Digital is grayed out. I know for certain I was getting 5.1 Dolby digital before from those devices, I checked. So why can’t I get it anymore? What do I do here? How do I fix it?

Edit: OK I got 5.1 working for cable and blu-Ray again, I had to change the settings while audio was actually playing. *facepalm* Anyways I still can’t get 5.1 working on the Roku though.
Edit2: Looks like the Roku problem is a Roku problem and nothing to do with the TV.
Edit3: It’s no wonder normals feel intimidated by technology when it can be a nightmare even to the enthusiasts.

Last edited by wrathloki; 12-02-2019 at 11:34 PM.
wrathloki is offline  
post #24060 of 24072 Old 12-04-2019, 04:24 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathloki View Post
Hmm this is working now for my other devices. I could never get it working before. Dolby Digital was always grayed out on this TV. I don’t understand technology sometimes.

Now my new problem is that on my other JS8500, ever since I hooked up a Roku to it, I can only get stereo sound going to my AVR. I have the AVR connected to my TV via HDMI 4 (ARC) and cable box, 4k blu-Ray, and Roku on HDMI 1-3. When I check the audio settings Dolby Digital is grayed out. I know for certain I was getting 5.1 Dolby digital before from those devices, I checked. So why can’t I get it anymore? What do I do here? How do I fix it?

Edit: OK I got 5.1 working for cable and blu-Ray again, I had to change the settings while audio was actually playing. *facepalm* Anyways I still can’t get 5.1 working on the Roku though.
Edit2: Looks like the Roku problem is a Roku problem and nothing to do with the TV.
Edit3: It’s no wonder normals feel intimidated by technology when it can be a nightmare even to the enthusiasts.
Glad to hear it works now.
Eric2203 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
JS8500 , reflection , screen flashing black

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off