50" Toshiba (50L2300U) LCD has large, 6" to 8" horizontal "shadow" and flickering - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ron6519

post #1 of 5 Old 04-24-2015, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
50" Toshiba (50L2300U) LCD has large, 6" to 8" horizontal "shadow" and flickering

My 50L2300U Toshiba, approximately 18 months old, has a large (6 to 8 inches wide) dark band going horizontally across the screen (and in two lighter spots on the top), which makes it look like a dark shadow, as seen above.

This has been happening for about a month now. It started sporadically, and used to be remedied by a quick OFF/ON of the TV. But of course, it's now gotten worse. More recently, it has also begin to flicker in one of the spots up top.

Here is a short video clip which shows the flickering:
View clip here

It seems to me that it's related to some of the LEDs not coming on. (Based on two reviews I read of the TV, it's a direct-lit unit.) The screen quality is otherwise fine. The "shadowing" appears regardless of source (including over-air antenna) and dims menus as well... also pointing me to backlight.

DISCLAIMER: My background is in IT/Systems Administration, so I'm decent at general troubleshooting but I am not a TV repairman/electronics expert. I know enough to be dangerous. So please, if you have any technical suggestions, use clear and concise language as if you were talking to a student.

Initial troubleshooting:
  • Power cycle (used to fix issue temporarily)
  • Connected to extension cord and plugged in to different outlets around the house (trying to eliminate ground loop issues, etc.)
  • Disconnecting EVERYTHING except power from the TV, unplugging surrounding electronics from wall
  • Leaving off "overnight"
  • Reset TV settings, play with backlight level/contrast/etc.
  • Removed rear cover and looked for swollen capacitors, or anything else that stood out to my untrained eye

After these initial attempts and a little research, I decided to try replacing the LED driver board (T-CON) after finding the part online. I replaced it today, to no effect. The issue remains.

To be fair, my TV runs almost 24/7. We have a habit of leaving it on "for the dogs" (the more ambient noise, the less they bark at).

Manufacturer's warranty is expired and I do not have the service plan from HHGregg, where I purchased it.

Any thoughts on anything I could look at next? Or am I just screwed? It's already taken apart... I have a multimeter, screwdrivers, and nothing to lose.

LED Driver Board/T-CON:

Mainboard:

Power board:

Full shot:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-20-2018, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Did you take the screen off to test the LEDs? Did you check the voltages from the power board out to the LED's?(do first). It looks as though there are two banks of LEDs out as well as a few individual lights.
My son has the same TV with a different issue. The LEDs(all of them) come on for second and then turn off. Have both sound and picture(only seen with a flashlight). I've been watching "Tampatec' on You Tube to get guidance
I just joined this forum and am surprised that no one has stepped in to answer this before now?
I don't know if this suggestion does you any good 3 years after the initial post.
frank xbe likes this.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-20-2018, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron6519 View Post
Did you take the screen off to test the LEDs? Did you check the voltages from the power board out to the LED's?(do first). It looks as though there are two banks of LEDs out as well as a few individual lights.
My son has the same TV with a different issue. The LEDs(all of them) come on for second and then turn off. Have both sound and picture(only seen with a flashlight). I've been watching "Tampatec' on You Tube to get guidance
I just joined this forum and am surprised that no one has stepped in to answer this before now?
I don't know if this suggestion does you any good 3 years after the initial post.
OP may be able to find LED strips for that model on e bay or shop jimmy.com I fixed 2 Sony TV here same problem just the LED bars

Samsung 55KS8000 ,Samsung 55MU6300 . Sony 55X850C ,LG 42LB5400 ,Roku 2
Sony ES 7.1HT AVR modest 5.1 surround with Elac B6 fronts w/other impedance and sensitivity matched surrounds , center and powered sub that work well for what it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 08-20-2018, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank xbe View Post
OP may be able to find LED strips for that model on e bay or shop jimmy.com I fixed 2 Sony TV here same problem just the LED bars
Frank, you can pick up a whole kit, online, to replace the entire LED section for under $75.00.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-20-2018, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron6519 View Post
Frank, you can pick up a whole kit, online, to replace the entire LED section for under $75.00.
right I replaced all the LED in both Sony TV here one was edge lit and the other back lit I found NOS kits on E bay under $75.00 ea.

Samsung 55KS8000 ,Samsung 55MU6300 . Sony 55X850C ,LG 42LB5400 ,Roku 2
Sony ES 7.1HT AVR modest 5.1 surround with Elac B6 fronts w/other impedance and sensitivity matched surrounds , center and powered sub that work well for what it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page