Sony 2015 XBR-55X850C / XBR-65X850C / XBR-75X850C owners club - Page 141 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11975Likes

post #4201 of 14931 Old 09-17-2015, 12:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by LD-838D View Post
I started with a 800b and I had massive clouding on the panel, Other than the clouding the color really didn't stand out.
I could have just gotten a bad panel under the panel lottery.
After hours of arguing, sending images and calling Sony out on twitter
Sony upgraded me to a 850c and I love the 850c.

my two cents....
I ended up getting the 800B over the weekend. It's not a bad tv overall. Price was a big consideration. I do have some clouding but I went ahead and left the light sensor on and yes while the picture isn't as bright it does help a lot. When you were going back and forth with Sony about your set how did you get them to upgrade you to the 850C? Did they try to replace your 800B with another first?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4202 of 14931 Old 09-17-2015, 12:51 AM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Are there instructions in this thread on how to get the set into a "Just Scan" mode. I watched the BB employees fumble with it for 20 minutes tonight until we just gave up. Text from my Macbook Pro over HDMI looked like garbage at 2160p.

I tried hunting for this mode on a 7100 Samsung as well and couldn't, so it isn't just a Sony problem. I did however, find it very easily on the LG OLED.

The OLED wasn't as perfect as my monitors even in Just Scan, but it was a million times clearer than the Sony or Samsung, which both looked like it was scaled. In fact, it was much more readable scaled down on the mirrored built in 15" display.

As for PQ, I was watching 4K clips at my desk on the Mac 1440p 27" and was astounded before I left, and was even more impressed by the tiny window to another world the 1800p screen of the MBP provided. But all the TVs looked like garbage by comparison.

I'll admit some of that is the size, but even 10" from the Macbook with it's 15" screen filling my entire field of vision, it is obvious how much clearer the image is. I actually wonder if the MBP isn't outputting the same information over HDMI that it does over thunderbolt, but none of the TVs in the store had a DVI port to test this theory.

I'll post over in the HTPC subforum and see if there is any truth to that theory. Although I have no idea how I'm going to prove it without lugging a full PC into the store.
post #4203 of 14931 Old 09-17-2015, 01:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvermeylen View Post
European owners can now get an update to 2333. I don't think this build was released in the US. It claims to fix a restart problem when using the CI+ module.
The update is dated 27-08-2015. Apparently, only the Dutch Sony site is hosting the update file, but it appears to be a universal file for Europe. I was able to
install it on a Belgian model without problems.

You can get it here.

Android is still at 5.0.2. I guess we have to wait until the end of October to get that.
October??? Didn't they say mid-September?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4204 of 14931 Old 09-17-2015, 01:17 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post
Other than the Sony TDG-BT500A (expensive!) glasses are there any other 3D glasses that have been found to sync and work well with the X850C and work well if you wear eyeglasses? Make/model would be real nice .
I inadvertently bought two pair of inexpensive TBG-BT400A on Amazon. They work but the lenses seem dark. I also bought two pair of more expensive TBG-BR250 that have lighter lenses, but don't sync with the 850C. I've ordered two pair of TBG-BT500A that I hope are lighter.

db
Here are all the glasses people have reported work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paazel View Post
Compatible 3D Glasses:
The 55x850C uses Active 3D technology; there are no glasses included with the set. These have been reported to work:

Sony TDG-BT500A / TDG-BT400A (these are both the same; 500A sold in retail, while 400A came bundled with some TV's
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-TDG-BT500...dp/B00C50KRO2/

Samsung SSG-5150GB
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00INO6JX2

XPAND/Mitsubishi X105BT
http://www.amazon.com/EX105BT-Shutter-Bluetooth-Mitsubishi-Televisions/dp/B009ZW7SR2/

Panasonic VIERA TY-ER3D4MU
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TY-ER3D4MU-Active-Shutter-Eyewear/dp/B007EHI1DK/

jayrod8801 likes this.
post #4205 of 14931 Old 09-17-2015, 03:12 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 63
This is a really good example of what i'm seeing, as you can see the edges of the screen seem to have extra gamma dialled in., they are yellowed. This can be reduced by darkening the picture but you then loose shadow detail. I have found a happy medium for the moment but ultimately I want it fixed. This image was taken from the beginning of interstellar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	File 17-09-2015 10 07 21.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	944962  
tampabuc likes this.
post #4206 of 14931 Old 09-17-2015, 03:30 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
This is a shot of my 65X8505C with manufacture date June 2015.
Dark room, Picture setting: Cinema, Light sensor: On

I've complained about this to Sony Support, but they have been of no help at all, but claims that this is inherent with the LCD panel manufacturing process.
Also, they still cannot give a date when the upcoming (and long overdue) firmware update for the EU region.

I've contacted my re-seller and right now waiting for someone to call back, and we'll see what happens. I will not accept this unit as it is.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0875.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	944986  
tampabuc likes this.
post #4207 of 14931 Old 09-17-2015, 03:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 946 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by paazel View Post
Here are all the glasses people have reported work!
Thank you very much for the post! After alot of research that's the ones I came up with as working with set. I will start with a couple pair of the Samsung as they are the cheapest. We don't watch very much 3D but I do like having the capability in the "tool box"...
Gerry
post #4208 of 14931 Old 09-17-2015, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jernberg View Post

I've complained about this to Sony Support, but they have been of no help at all, but claims that this is inherent with the LCD panel manufacturing process.
Also, they still cannot give a date when the upcoming (and long overdue) firmware update for the EU region.

I've contacted my re-seller and right now waiting for someone to call back, and we'll see what happens. I will not accept this unit as it is.
i'm going to go into PCWORLD tonight and speak with someone there, I dont think this should be happening like this with a direct lit panel, certainly shouldn't be seeing this discolouration/ extra gamma i'm seeing.

it can be quite subtle though, I wonder if most people have it and dont reallise it as they havent watched the right material in a dim room.
post #4209 of 14931 Old 09-17-2015, 04:20 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 8
How is gaming on the 5.1.1 update? In the EU Asphalt is running very laggy and in a lot of test for 3D mark I get 0.1 fps.....
post #4210 of 14931 Old 09-17-2015, 05:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 946 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Could someone measure the distance from the front of the TV screen to the front edge of the included TV stand for me I would appreciate it! I ordered a 75X850C and assume the distance is probably the same for at least the 65 & 75.. Looking at pics of TV i'm thinking around 5" or so?
Thanks in advance,
Gerry
post #4211 of 14931 Old 09-17-2015, 06:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 799 Post(s)
Liked: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jernberg View Post

Looking at the attached picture my set looked exactly the same and which is was why I returned mine. As many others when you see something that you can't dismiss it will just draw your focus every time you see it. Maybe an unhealthy life style but it's in my DNA
post #4212 of 14931 Old 09-17-2015, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satboy View Post
Looking at the attached picture my set looked exactly the same and which is was why I returned mine. As many others when you see something that you can't dismiss it will just draw your focus every time you see it. Maybe an unhealthy life style but it's in my DNA
did you return it and get a different model or a replacement which didn't have the issue - what size was it?
post #4213 of 14931 Old 09-17-2015, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mclingo McKeown View Post
did you return it and get a different model or a replacement which didn't have the issue - what size was it?
65" and I assumed it was a design flaw as others have complained about it. I actually started with the Samsung 8500 but the top row of LED's died after day 2 so that went back and the Sony 850C was second but now I am using my original 850A 55" which has none of the issues but lacks the 10" of screen. I also wanted and the built in 4k apps etc.
post #4214 of 14931 Old 09-17-2015, 09:20 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalto View Post
As a test, I would try reconnecting the optical cable and disabling bravia sync in the TV. That should turn HDMI/ARC off. I suspect you may never have actually been using the optical cable before.

Dalto, in working with a Sony tech it wasn't possible to manipulate the Bravia sync setting, as that was greyed out. I'm using a Yamaha receiver, and so Bravia sync doesn't work. The setting was stuck to 'ON', and it wasn't possible to enter the area to turn it off. I was told that that meant it was automatically disabled.

Trying another approach to fix my Netflix 5.1 audio problem we tried plugging the HDMI cable (High Speed HEC) from the receiver into the HDMI 1 slot on the side of the 850c to see if that would make a difference, using both Auto-1 and Auto-2, and in doing so we plugged the optical cable back in. That configuration also failed, but I'll give Sony's tech agents credit for walking the extra mile to resolve my problem. In fact, when I told one agent recently about my edge-bleed problem he took control of my TV and made quite a number of changes in the menu that helped to alleviate the issue. It isn't gone entirely though, which still leads me to believe that it's hardware related, and so in the next month or so I'm going to ask Sony if they might exchange it for the most recently built model.

At any rate, Sony has assured me that a firmware fix is indeed coming in the near future that will take care of my audio problems. Maybe, but why is it that some people are having this issue while others aren't? I can't quite figure that out.

Thanks for taking the time to offer your advice with this.
post #4215 of 14931 Old 09-17-2015, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Great, another western Atlantic firmware update. You'll have updates coming out of your ears soon. Meanwhile in Europe......

tumbleweed gif.
post #4216 of 14931 Old 09-17-2015, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1291 Post(s)
Liked: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recall View Post
How is gaming on the 5.1.1 update? In the EU Asphalt is running very laggy and in a lot of test for 3D mark I get 0.1 fps.....
5.1.1 made a noticeable improvement in performance. That being said, don't expect this system to ever be a real gaming platform. The included SOC simply doesn't have the horsepower for that. If you want to play casual games it should work fine but intensive 3D rendered stuff is probably never going to run correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kfan View Post
Dalto, in working with a Sony tech it wasn't possible to manipulate the Bravia sync setting, as that was greyed out. I'm using a Yamaha receiver, and so Bravia sync doesn't work. The setting was stuck to 'ON', and it wasn't possible to enter the area to turn it off. I was told that that meant it was automatically disabled.
What? If Bravia Sync wasn't working, there would be no sound at all coming from your receiver when connected via ARC. Some of these Sony customer service reps have no clue.

When you plugged it into HDMI 1 and used the optical cable what happened? What problems did you see?
[/QUOTE]
post #4217 of 14931 Old 09-17-2015, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Hey Fellas,

Because My controller (Denon 4308Cl is almost 7 years old)...It cannot pass 4K and 3D so I run my DirecTV box straight into the Sony 75X and then optical to my Denon...It works fine...Sounds syncs perfect with the video... There was a software (firmware?) update yesterday but don't know what it did yet...

Love to get that new Marantz 8802A to fix that though... another $4K

Cheers,
Larry
post #4218 of 14931 Old 09-17-2015, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kfan View Post

Trying another approach to fix my Netflix 5.1 audio problem we tried plugging the HDMI cable (High Speed HEC) from the receiver into the HDMI 1 slot on the side of the 850c to see if that would make a difference, using both Auto-1 and Auto-2, and in doing so we plugged the optical cable back in. That configuration also failed, but I'll give Sony's tech agents credit for walking the extra mile to resolve my problem. In fact, when I told one agent recently about my edge-bleed problem he took control of my TV and made quite a number of changes in the menu that helped to alleviate the issue. It isn't gone entirely though, which still leads me to believe that it's hardware related, and so in the next month or so I'm going to ask Sony if they might exchange it for the most recently built model.

At any rate, Sony has assured me that a firmware fix is indeed coming in the near future that will take care of my audio problems. Maybe, but why is it that some people are having this issue while others aren't? I can't quite figure that out.

Thanks for taking the time to offer your advice with this.

You wouldn't by chance have turned on the "RS232C control" settings? Make sure they are off as it might impact Bravia Sync. They are competing systems for controlling the TV.

I would also check the IR Blaster settings. The TV has the ability to control a Set top Box and/or AV receiver via both HDMI CEC or IR using the IR Blaster.
post #4219 of 14931 Old 09-17-2015, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
5.1.1 made a noticeable improvement in performance. That being said, don't expect this system to ever be a real gaming platform. The included SOC simply doesn't have the horsepower for that. If you want to play casual games it should work fine but intensive 3D rendered stuff is probably never going to run correctly.
3D games, true, but the TV works awesome for most games on the market and the NES, MAME and SNES emulators work perfectly! Paired my Dual Shock 4 up with the TV and I was playing Super Metroid directly from the TV with perfectly mapped controls (no configuration needed, the DS4 just gets set up right automagically) within seconds.
post #4220 of 14931 Old 09-17-2015, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1291 Post(s)
Liked: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktownhero View Post
3D games, true, but the TV works awesome for most games on the market.
Agreed, most of the Android games out there today are not CPU/GPU intensive and will work fine.

It does seem like it is headed that way in the future. Especially as more Android based gaming consoles come out.
post #4221 of 14931 Old 09-17-2015, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Agreed, most of the Android games out there today are not CPU/GPU intensive and will work fine.

It does seem like it is headed that way in the future. Especially as more Android based gaming consoles come out.
The built in PS3 is kinda lame but I actually liked using MAME directly on the TV.

Nothing fancy but it worked for those childhood games I loved.
post #4222 of 14931 Old 09-17-2015, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
The built in PS3 is kinda lame but I actually liked using MAME directly on the TV.

How do I get MAME on my tv?
post #4223 of 14931 Old 09-17-2015, 12:15 PM

PC world are exchanging mine on saturday, sony rep in store took one look at these photos and agreed it wasnt right.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	File 16-09-2015 19 00 47.jpeg
Views:	177
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	945602   Click image for larger version

Name:	File 17-09-2015 10 07 21.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	945610   Click image for larger version

Name:	File 16-09-2015 19 01 28.jpeg
Views:	180
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	945618   Click image for larger version

Name:	File 16-09-2015 19 00 29.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	945626  
tampabuc likes this.
post #4224 of 14931 Old 09-17-2015, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 86
[QUOTE=dalto;37366666]5.1.1 made a noticeable improvement in performance. That being said, don't expect this system to ever be a real gaming platform. The included SOC simply doesn't have the horsepower for that. If you want to play casual games it should work fine but intensive 3D rendered stuff is probably never going to run correctly.

What? If Bravia Sync wasn't working, there would be no sound at all coming from your receiver when connected via ARC. Some of these Sony customer service reps have no clue.

When you plugged it into HDMI 1 and used the optical cable what happened? What problems did you see?

With the HDMI 1/optical cable arrangement I saw no changes in any way whatever. Broadcast TV worked like it always did (giving me 5.1 sound from networks that had it) and Netflix continued to have 5.1 audio problems, in exactly the way it did before. I have since reconnected to my HDMI4/ARC setting, but was told that I wouldn't need the optical cable with that connection.

Since, as you've said, Bravia sync must be working for my audio system to operate, it's easy for me to see why it was greyed out. If I was able to shut it off, I would get no sound, so they greyed it out and didn't allow me an option to change it while I was set to External Audio. I guess I should have figured that out.

As an aside, when you say that some of these Sony customer service reps have no clue, you've hit the nail squarely on the head. And I have to wonder if the higher-up technicians are really all that well trained. I have to laugh when I think that not one, but two, Sony techies tried to install an old software version into my TV just a few days ago because they had completely misread the description string. It's humorous, but makes me just a tad bit nervous.

However, there is something else I might try, although I worked with Yamaha on it once before without success. Perhaps there's a setting on my receiver that has to be changed, although I'm not really hopeful. Who knows, maybe I just need to wait for a Sony update, if one is really coming.

Thanks again for your input.
post #4225 of 14931 Old 09-17-2015, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by zgemboandislic View Post
October??? Didn't they say mid-September?
Well, depending on which site you check the "More apps and features coming to your Android TV soon" section, you either get 29 September or end October for a next update.

I am really hoping this will include the Android 5.1.1.
post #4226 of 14931 Old 09-17-2015, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6864 Post(s)
Liked: 6863
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishari84 View Post
How 65x850c will look in tv programs and movies compared to plasma?
Unless you are looking at a true FALD TV with no edge lit technology built in, the Plasma will be better. Look at the UN65JS9500, the XBR-75X940C, or OLED technology. That is about the only way a plasma guy will be happy.
mishari84 likes this.
post #4227 of 14931 Old 09-17-2015, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post
Could someone measure the distance from the front of the TV screen to the front edge of the included TV stand for me I would appreciate it! I ordered a 75X850C and assume the distance is probably the same for at least the 65 & 75.. Looking at pics of TV i'm thinking around 5" or so?
Thanks in advance,
Gerry
5 and 3/8"... hope that helps

SONY XBR75X850C; OPPO 95; DENON AVR-X7200WA; PS Audio P10 Power Plant; Sony FMP-X10; (2) Mirage OMD-15, (2) OMD-R, (2) OMD-5, Omni S10, OMD-C2; Apple AirPort Extreme_ac network; Comcast Internet 350 MBs; Harmony Ultimate Home w/Hub;

Life is but a beautiful dream and death is it's rude awakening.
post #4228 of 14931 Old 09-17-2015, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Search for MAME with android, you will need ESfile as well to copy the games over.

If you have the 850C or the SONY's with the Android OS it will work.

Now many of the games played fine some were too much for the CPU etc.
post #4229 of 14931 Old 09-17-2015, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvermeylen View Post
Well, depending on which site you check the "More apps and features coming to your Android TV soon" section, you either get 29 September or end October for a next update.

I am really hoping this will include the Android 5.1.1.
Me too. In fact, I don't need ANY new apps, just give me a stable OS that doesn't need unplugging from power every 2 days, and hard reset twice a day.
post #4230 of 14931 Old 09-17-2015, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgemboandislic View Post
Me too. In fact, I don't need ANY new apps, just give me a stable OS that doesn't need unplugging from power every 2 days, and hard reset twice a day.
In the 44 days I owned the 850C 65" I had to reboot it three times and each was due to the HDMI not displaying the picture. Had audio but no picture and only a reboot would fix it. Apps at time tossed up a box saying it failed but didn't require a reboot etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
4k suhd , android , firmware , hdr , ir blaster , reboot , XBR-55X850C , xbr-65x850c xbr-75x850c

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page