Sony 2015 XBR-55X850C / XBR-65X850C / XBR-75X850C owners club - Page 142 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11975Likes

post #4231 of 14931 Old 09-17-2015, 01:28 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by satboy View Post
In the 44 days I owned the 850C 65" I had to reboot it three times and each was due to the HDMI not displaying the picture. Had audio but no picture and only a reboot would fix it. Apps at time tossed up a box saying it failed but didn't require a reboot etc.

I have audio but no picture with my Digital TV decoder. All my signals are passing through an AV receiver. The solution for me in this case is to power off/on my AV receiver, which is quicker than a TV reboot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4232 of 14931 Old 09-17-2015, 01:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Hello everyone, I haven't been on here for a while but been reading what everyone's opinions on the xbr850c. I have had my set for over a month now and so far so good none of the issues that i have been reading. Picture on this set to me is far superior to the competition. I like Samsungs phones but their tv's are way to saturated for my taste. MOVIES are fantastic especially blu-ray and 4k feeds. Direct tv even on some of the non hd channels are pretty clean. HD is and Gaming i have not seen any lag and it just looks amazing on my XBOX ONE.
Any way just wanted to say whats up and also see if anyone has been reading the latest updates from Sony. HDR update was supposed to be for ONLY the x940c & x930c. Now the 910c,900c and the 850c get the update along with free HDR movies to watch on Amazon. Not sure if those are to keep or to rent but free is always good. Now to anyone on the fence of the ju7100 or 850c there should be no question which is the better product.
post #4233 of 14931 Old 09-17-2015, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by satboy View Post
In the 44 days I owned the 850C 65" I had to reboot it three times and each was due to the HDMI not displaying the picture. Had audio but no picture and only a reboot would fix it. Apps at time tossed up a box saying it failed but didn't require a reboot etc.
Hmm, mine is 55", don't know if they have the same CPUs and same amount of RAM, etc.

If it continues this way even after the 5.1.1 update I'm returning it, maybe getting a 55" 930C instead.

I have the black screen and only sound issue, I have the all-of-a-sudden-everything-lags issue including switching channels, then there is the worst one, totally frozen TV that needs unplugging...

And then they say iSheep...iSheep are iSheep because everything just works with iDevices, it's such a pity Apple never made that TV that was rumored...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4234 of 14931 Old 09-17-2015, 01:36 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalto View Post
5.1.1 made a noticeable improvement in performance. That being said, don't expect this system to ever be a real gaming platform. The included SOC simply doesn't have the horsepower for that. If you want to play casual games it should work fine but intensive 3D rendered stuff is probably never going to run correctly.

What? If Bravia Sync wasn't working, there would be no sound at all coming from your receiver when connected via ARC. Some of these Sony customer service reps have no clue.

When you plugged it into HDMI 1 and used the optical cable what happened? What problems did you see?
[/QUOTE]

Well I just wish Sony EU would hurry the hell up with the damn update. I have had this laggy piece of crap since May...
zgemboandislic and Jernberg like this.
post #4235 of 14931 Old 09-17-2015, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1291 Post(s)
Liked: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by zgemboandislic View Post
Hmm, mine is 55", don't know if they have the same CPUs and same amount of RAM, etc.
As far as I can tell all the 2015 Sony UHD TVs have the exact same SOC. A Mediatek MT5890
iatacs19 and zgemboandislic like this.
post #4236 of 14931 Old 09-17-2015, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recall View Post

Well I just wish Sony EU would hurry the hell up with the damn update. I have had this laggy piece of crap since May...
I wonder if the US update could be installed on the EU TV? How high is the possibility of bricking the damn thing if I tried?
post #4237 of 14931 Old 09-17-2015, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 799 Post(s)
Liked: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvermeylen View Post
I have audio but no picture with my Digital TV decoder. All my signals are passing through an AV receiver. The solution for me in this case is to power off/on my AV receiver, which is quicker than a TV reboot.
Only thing that worked for me was rebooting the TV

And the time it takes to reboot the OS
post #4238 of 14931 Old 09-17-2015, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 799 Post(s)
Liked: 535
Quote:
I wonder if the US update could be installed on the EU TV? How high is the possibility of bricking the damn thing if I tried?
Probably best to wait, nothing worse than a heavy brick
post #4239 of 14931 Old 09-17-2015, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 845 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Has anyone noticed anything different with yesterday's firmware update?

SONY 75X850C | YAMAHA RX-A2050 | 5 DAYTON AUDIO APA150 | KLIPSCH RP 5.2.4
post #4240 of 14931 Old 09-17-2015, 03:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 5
To me, it's horrific... I has a 65x850c just as bad, now I have a 75x750c I haven't tested it yet, but I'm expecting the same.

There are ppl in this forum who SWEAR their sets are mint. I am starting to believe there are no x850c sets that can play that test video and not look terrible

The real shame is when there is little or no panning, my sets looked great. I'll test my 75 and post resu;lts
post #4241 of 14931 Old 09-17-2015, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by chairmann View Post
To me, it's horrific... I has a 65x850c just as bad, now I have a 75x750c I haven't tested it yet, but I'm expecting the same.

There are ppl in this forum who SWEAR their sets are mint. I am starting to believe there are no x850c sets that can play that test video and not look terrible

The real shame is when there is little or no panning, my sets looked great. I'll test my 75 and post resu;lts
What test Video?

If you mean the white and yellow stripes that go across the screen on some youtube file... I did that and posted it. Everything was fine on my set ... check it out. Page 105: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post36327186

SONY XBR75X850C; OPPO 95; DENON AVR-X7200WA; PS Audio P10 Power Plant; Sony FMP-X10; (2) Mirage OMD-15, (2) OMD-R, (2) OMD-5, Omni S10, OMD-C2; Apple AirPort Extreme_ac network; Comcast Internet 350 MBs; Harmony Ultimate Home w/Hub;

Life is but a beautiful dream and death is it's rude awakening.

Last edited by tron49; 09-17-2015 at 03:27 PM.
post #4242 of 14931 Old 09-17-2015, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sony Launches HDR Video Support on 2015 4K Ultra HD TVs

http://www.residentialsystems.com/te...a-hd-tvs/87496

Sincerely,

David
post #4243 of 14931 Old 09-17-2015, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 5
man, you post a lot.... got a link lol? [to dse test vid results]
post #4244 of 14931 Old 09-17-2015, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 946 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by tron49 View Post
5 and 3/8"... hope that helps

Thank you!! I guess I was close on that guess .
Gerry
post #4245 of 14931 Old 09-17-2015, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1291 Post(s)
Liked: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualrain View Post
Has anyone noticed anything different with yesterday's firmware update?
Upscaling seems better. Also, knock on wood, but I haven't had any issues since installing the update.
post #4246 of 14931 Old 09-17-2015, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalto View Post
Upscaling seems better. Also, knock on wood, but I haven't had any issues since installing the update.
I'm having HDMI issues with my AVR... it got so bad this evening that I had to direct connect my SAT receiver to the TV and bypass my DENON.

The only thing that happened to me after the UPDATE, the TV out of the blue shut itself down during the debate last night and I just rebooted the TV and everything was fine again.... now its the DENON and HDMI issues. One issue after another. It never ends.

NOT

SONY XBR75X850C; OPPO 95; DENON AVR-X7200WA; PS Audio P10 Power Plant; Sony FMP-X10; (2) Mirage OMD-15, (2) OMD-R, (2) OMD-5, Omni S10, OMD-C2; Apple AirPort Extreme_ac network; Comcast Internet 350 MBs; Harmony Ultimate Home w/Hub;

Life is but a beautiful dream and death is it's rude awakening.
post #4247 of 14931 Old 09-17-2015, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I tried the Exodus and Life of Pi HDR demo clips on my 55X850C tonight. They played fine off a thumb drive and appeared normal. Nothing crazy, just looked like typical 4k clips.

Would i definitely know it if they weren't playing correctly? Is there a way to view the video information while playing? I'm using the Videos app.
post #4248 of 14931 Old 09-17-2015, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Does anyone use this set with an HTPC? I tried renaming the input to "PC" using a custom name since this wasn't a preset, and it had no affect. The Sony rep was even there tonight and was totally clueless.
post #4249 of 14931 Old 09-17-2015, 09:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:

If it continues this way even after the 5.1.1 update I'm returning it, maybe getting a 55" 930C instead.

I have the black screen and only sound issue, I have the all-of-a-sudden-everything-lags issue including switching channels, then there is the worst one, totally frozen TV that needs unplugging...

And then they say iSheep...iSheep are iSheep because everything just works with iDevices, it's such a pity Apple never made that TV that was rumored...
I'm going to guess you missed iOS 8 and all it's issues when it came out. Apple isn't perfect either.

65C8P l 65B6P l P55-C1 l Shockwafe Ultra 9.2 & Elite 7.2 l XB1 X l PS4 Pro l Switch
post #4250 of 14931 Old 09-18-2015, 01:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 389
My Sony Lollipop XBR65X850C is already delayed 12 hours after ship through Amazon USA after committing to a full week delivery estimate. If that extra day delay wasn't enough to bum me out, this forum basically finished the business of me refusing to sign for the TV but truck can't be turned around until then. I'm in limbo with a broken Sammy plasma that Samsung wiggled out of panel warranty replacement. There's no picture, just audio; panel appears to have cracked on the inside just above the Samsung logo near the "S".

Wanting to avoid Samsung, I settled on this but the OS alone, not to mention edge bleed and gray or even color uniformity had me asking Amazon for alternatives tonight. They gave me $30 credit and offered to expedite the next TV purchase but I'm stuck until I personally turn that truck around.
The guy at Amazon is tech rep and specializes not only in resolution but product referral. Staying with a mid range 65", he suggested Samsung if I could afford the extra $500 for the 65" UN65JS8500, Vizio M or P series for value pricing- (no 3D but stable Android OS). But also consider LG and Sharp because of their panel production. Sony, he says, isn't on their road map of suggested TVs.

In a short catch up session today, I learned that Samsung improved their edge lit LED panels by getting away from the thinner design. Now it seems edge lit is the proven platform (HDR ready) while full array is in the early development stages. True? It doesn't appear where HDR standard will land and favor a particular platform but it seems to be rumored in favor of Samsung or edge-lit LED?

Sony and Android aren't new to partnering development. I still regret the DVD player with Android that Google dropped for OS updates citing hardware limitations while releasing newer versions with hardware updates. I got no updates after that and the 5.1 audio issue is way too familiar to be revisiting again in 2015.

Given the opportunity to redo the decision, would you try the set and return it or turn the truck around and run away from Sony? I'm thinking unplugging any TV once a week on average is one too many. Having anyone in the house complain of power cycling the TV (doubling the wait time) because it didn't power on fast enough to not confuse is a headache I don't want. Despite my plasma repairs, I haven't had to unplug more than once a year on average; it's 2015 and TVs are regressing in OS?

I'm looking for long term reliability and future proofing. That mini box on the Samsung has me concerned they're asking for consumers to jump back on the upgrade or repair wagon often with expense on upgrade and repairs on larger sets. I want a low maintenance long term sale that doesn't give me the shakes and worries about a $3k +/- $500 purchase. The Sony has me thinking I didn't do enough research; I don't want to make another purchase mistake. Any ideas at what I should be looking at? Got time.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Last edited by brotony; 09-18-2015 at 02:06 AM.
post #4251 of 14931 Old 09-18-2015, 01:23 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Hi everyone. I've decided to get rid of the sony ht-ct380 soundbar that I got free with the TV as its loads of hassle for not much benefit. (Loses sync or entire connection to the TV fairly regularly) But I quite like wireless sub.

Does anyone know if I can connect a wireless sub directly to the TV, without the soundbar? It's fairly unlikely but thought I'd ask.

If anyone reads this from London and wants to make me an offer on the sony ht-ct380 soundbar and sub then drop me a line.

What's the deal with the next UK update by the way? We haven't have an update in months.

Cheers all

Jonny
post #4252 of 14931 Old 09-18-2015, 01:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwk View Post
Does anyone use this set with an HTPC? I tried renaming the input to "PC" using a custom name since this wasn't a preset, and it had no affect. The Sony rep was even there tonight and was totally clueless.

What are you trying to do? Renaming an input doesn't do anything as far as I know. Are you trying to play videos off the PC or use the TV as a monitor, because those are two totally different tasks as far as setup goes. The former requires passing through video levels, the latter is best with full RGB.

post #4253 of 14931 Old 09-18-2015, 02:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brotony View Post

Given the opportunity to redo the decision, would you try the set and return it or turn the truck around and run away from Sony? I'm thinking unplugging any TV once a week on average is one too many. Having anyone in the house complain of power cycling the TV (doubling the wait time) because it didn't power on fast enough to not confuse is a headache I don't want. Despite my plasma repairs, I haven't had to unplug more than once a year ...

Dude, You sound like a mess. With uncertainty like this, how do you ever buy anything?!

If everyone read the official owners thread before buying a TV and based their decision to purchase on the content of these threads, the threads would never get past the first page and all the TV manufacturers would be out of business. These threads are frequented by a small number of enthusiasts and an equally small number of folks who have a problem. Keep it in perspective.

Sure, there are some issues with the 65", I had a set like many others here with blooming sides. If you get one like that, thanks to the folks here, you'll know within 15 minutes and you can box it back up and return it. My only suggestion with buying a large TV is to buy locally or ensure return shipping is covered so returning it's not painful. This advice applies to any TV.

I have never had to cycle the power on either of the sets I've had. The software is very stable, but I'm not using the TV as a computer... Aside from the occasional 4K show off video from YouTube, this is just a display for me. So, how frustrating the software might be, will really depend on your usage of it.

Get the Sony. I hate Samsung with a passion as a company (as you might tell from my avatar). They are one of the most morally corrupt corporations I know of.

If you get a bad blooming side set, return it. Otherwise enjoy it.

post #4254 of 14931 Old 09-18-2015, 04:08 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I bought mine at best buy 2 weeks ago.

Is this the manufactured date? June 26 2015 ?

What is the best way to test for the side blooming?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150917_170252_1442570820853.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	947826   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150917_170519_1442570848214.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	947834   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150917_171152_1442570881286.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	947842  

Last edited by checksum123; 09-18-2015 at 04:10 AM.
post #4255 of 14931 Old 09-18-2015, 05:11 AM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Dude, You sound like a mess. With uncertainty like this, how do you ever buy anything?!

If everyone read the official owners thread before buying a TV and based their decision to purchase on the content of these threads, the threads would never get past the first page and all the TV manufacturers would be out of business. These threads are frequented by a small number of enthusiasts and an equally small number of folks who have a problem. Keep it in perspective.

Sure, there are some issues with the 65", I had a set like many others here with blooming sides. If you get one like that, thanks to the folks here, you'll know within 15 minutes and you can box it back up and return it. My only suggestion with buying a large TV is to buy locally or ensure return shipping is covered so returning it's not painful. This advice applies to any TV.

I have never had to cycle the power on either of the sets I've had. The software is very stable, but I'm not using the TV as a computer... Aside from the occasional 4K show off video from YouTube, this is just a display for me. So, how frustrating the software might be, will really depend on your usage of it.

Get the Sony. I hate Samsung with a passion as a company (as you might tell from my avatar). They are one of the most morally corrupt corporations I know of.

Please also note that these threads are not just populated by USA and Canada owners, most owners havent had 5.1.1 yet and so a lot of the bugs the USA no longer has havent yet been quashed in the UK and other counties - i still cant get any 5.1 at all out of the TV in any mode from ARC or optical for instance, there is no point discussing this until we get the 5.1.1 update.
post #4256 of 14931 Old 09-18-2015, 05:18 AM

Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny_guitar View Post
Hi everyone. I've decided to get rid of the sony ht-ct380 soundbar that I got free with the TV as its loads of hassle for not much benefit. (Loses sync or entire connection to the TV fairly regularly) But I quite like wireless sub.

Does anyone know if I can connect a wireless sub directly to the TV, without the soundbar? It's fairly unlikely but thought I'd ask.

If anyone reads this from London and wants to make me an offer on the sony ht-ct380 soundbar and sub then drop me a line.

What's the deal with the next UK update by the way? We haven't have an update in months.

Cheers all

Jonny

Most all newer Sony tv's will allow a sub to be connected without a sound bar. I know my w850b and w850c would both allow wired or wireless. Just browse the settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG 65c6p
Denon avr590
(2) paradigm studio 10's
Velodyne 12 sub
PS4 pro, Apple TV (3rd gen), My Cloud 3tb nas
post #4257 of 14931 Old 09-18-2015, 06:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:

First mistake: not seeking credit locally. 2nd mistake: losing all interest when the risks and bad experience with Amazon was considered. It's a sum total. The reviews here are negative compared to Amazon. Considering time, distance, exchange delay and hassle and what I feel is poor business practice by Amazon and Sony, I don't want to reward their behavior.

I've gone back to the local store and what I initially dismissed as OEM choices of viewer content, mount locations, dirty screen, extreme tilt or high elevation or Samsung and LG choosing better landscape and colors. I now see as Samsung being a brighter and realistic picture with better shadow detail. Maybe at one point or the other I was impressionable or impressed contrarilly now. The LG did look a little washed out and the magic remote was too quick on the cursor pan; off the screen and gone. Something was just off about the XBR65X850C, 70" B model seemed better most ways. I didn't realize only the C model had full array LED; now it doesn't impress me.

Hi, my name is Tony and I make bad purchase decisions. I even lose sleep over it with nothing to gain by it. Got that out of the way... feel better but my mind is still made up... turning that truck around. It's silly to have to wait for it to get here to do that but I earned it. Penalty accepted. Lesson learned. Am I kidding? Just a little. TV buying has mostly been miss for me; day one.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
post #4258 of 14931 Old 09-18-2015, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:

Agreed. No one reports sucesses, only problems on forums. I would certainly give the new TV a shot when it arrives. Amazon has a great return policy and will take it back if necessary. One step at a time, know you have a problem before you go off trying to fix it.

My 55X850C has been perfect so far. Excellent screen, uniformity, no issues with Android.
post #4259 of 14931 Old 09-18-2015, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by checksum123 View Post
I bought mine at best buy 2 weeks ago.

Is this the manufactured date? June 26 2015 ?

What is the best way to test for the side blooming?
if you had it you'd know, don't worry about problems you haven't got
zgemboandislic likes this.
post #4260 of 14931 Old 09-18-2015, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 22
checksum123 ---

You screen looks pretty good. I believe people tested Interstellar at the beginning of the movie to check blooming and the color/gamma issue. In fact, it seems like most of the problems show-up in a 2.35:1 ratio movies so that there are black bars above and below the movie.

There is also some consensus that the blooming and color shifts do not show-up with everything, so some additional movies may need to be tested.

There are also previous posts in this thread with other pictures as well which might give you some help too.

Is yours a U.S.A. or European version?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
4k suhd , android , firmware , hdr , ir blaster , reboot , XBR-55X850C , xbr-65x850c xbr-75x850c

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page