Sony 2015 XBR-55X850C / XBR-65X850C / XBR-75X850C owners club - Page 197 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11973Likes

post #5881 of 14907 Old 11-25-2015, 02:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I almost pulled the trigger on the Vizio M60-C3 for $800, but opted to purchase the 55" Sony 850C. The Vizio might have superior black levels, but it seems bare bones compared to the Sony. The build quality also looks cheap standing next to the Sony. The silver chicken feet stand and bezel is not aesthetically pleasing to my eyes. Maybe I'm just biased on the Vizio brand. I'm sure it delivers an excellent overall picture quality just as the Sony does when properly calibrated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5882 of 14907 Old 11-25-2015, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbill2001 View Post
I have the Sony 65X850C and the Vizio 65M C1 hooked up side by side...
I just picked a program Ellen, looking at the two TV's I had to put the Sony in Vivid to get the picture of the Vizio.
Colors are great... darks are not as dark.. but not a big deal..
The biggest thing I notice is for example... a close up on a face on the Vizio, you could see more detail in the face,,, almost like the pours, and on the Sony the face is more soft.
I have looked at the spreadsheets, but I cannot find the one for the 850c..
Guess also, I am afraid to mess around too much because I am a beginner...
Can someone help point me to a good setting for all over viewing with the 850C,,,, we think that is the one we want to keep... we like the bells and whistles and voice stuff.

Now judge judy is on...... on the Vizio I can see her wrinkles, on the Sony she has a smoother completion.

Is there an internet browser on this unit?
It sounds like the Vizio has sharping set higher in the menu. Have you set both displays up correctly?
post #5883 of 14907 Old 11-25-2015, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer88 View Post
I almost pulled the trigger on the Vizio M60-C3 for $800, but opted to purchase the 55" Sony 850C. The Vizio might have superior black levels, but it seems bare bones compared to the Sony. The build quality also looks cheap standing next to the Sony. The silver chicken feet stand and bezel is not aesthetically pleasing to my eyes. Maybe I'm just biased on the Vizio brand. I'm sure it delivers an excellent overall picture quality just as the Sony does when properly calibrated.
It does and it doesn't. FALD is not without it flaws and causes other issues in order to obtain a deeper black. For example it ends up damping whites and brighter colors which in turn messes with how contrast is presented. Remember the Vizio only has 32 zones, so certain scenes it will work decently, where as others it ends up hurting the picture. I have a M60 downstairs and it's a great TV for the money but the SONY barring that you get a good unit is overall the better display IMO and it's blacks are on par once you turn FALD off on the Vizio. I think at the end of the day it all depends on your needs. The SONY is just a more refined and feature rich TV

Oh one more thing. One advantage to the Vizio is that since it uses FALD, 21:9 Movies(where the top and bottom are cut off) have a nice dark black border with no bleed since the TV will shut those zones off.
DoctorM likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5884 of 14907 Old 11-25-2015, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Flashlight and cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdog2015 View Post
OK, so it sounds to me that looking at the Vizio M series side by side with the Sony 850C, the Vizio has better black levels and a more detailed picture. I am shopping both of these TV's so I am interested in your impressions. I am leaning towards the Vizio at this point but I am a long time Sony owner (My beautiful 60NX810 is still going strong). I absolutely despise flashlighting and clouding, so I am very hesitant to buy an edge lit set.
If you mean flashlight light everything being real bright, every room in a show is white... and the cloud being a haze like rooms have smoke in them... I did have that with the vizio... Tonight I will test with a few evening shows.
I did watch NCIS last night... every room was white... and most rooms full of smoke, or fog.... are we seeing the same thing with the Vizio..
post #5885 of 14907 Old 11-25-2015, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by zgemboandislic View Post
I have the 55x850c and it's freezing a lot as well, I need to restart it quite frequently. I have the latest update (I was hoping it would solve my problems), but it's pretty much the same.

Do you think it is just a faulty sample and I could replace it for a better one? The thing is, I don't want to go through the hassle of replacement only to get the same result in the end.
Try unplugging the TV for 20 minutes, minimum, perhaps even overnight. The salesman I bought my TV from recommended this "fix" when my 65x850c froze up a couple times in the first week I had it. It's been a couple weeks now and it hasn't frozen on me since. Although after the latest update there were a couple times when the TV powered on by itself.
post #5886 of 14907 Old 11-25-2015, 04:15 PM

Quote:
the sony rep was able to get to my schwab.com account by using a browser... I cannot find that browser... were do I find that..

what is the USB things they plugged in the back with the little dots attached...
I installed the Opera browser app and it works pretty well. I plugged a wireless Logitech k400 keyboard into the TV to make it easier to type in web addresses and to move the on screen cursor.

I think that USB thing you mention is the IR (infrared) blaster? I'm not using mine, so not sure how it works.
mdbill2001 likes this.
post #5887 of 14907 Old 11-25-2015, 04:17 PM

Can anyone recommend a gamepad to connect to my 65x850c? I'm not a big gamer and don't have a game console, but I might like to play some of the android games or maybe even some PS3 streaming games from time to time. A cheap, but good gamepad would be nice to have. I'm just not sure what models are compatible.
post #5888 of 14907 Old 11-25-2015, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
I have looked at the spreadsheets, but I cannot find the one for the 850c..
Guess also, I am afraid to mess around too much because I am a beginner...
Can someone help point me to a good setting for all over viewing with the 850C,,,, ?
See my signature below...the link to the 850C calibration spreadsheet is there.

Sent from my stang5litre Edition 5.0 using Tapatalk

2015 Sony X850C FAQ: Recommended Picture settings, 3D FAQ, HDR FAQ, DirecTV 4K Ready FAQ, Troubleshooting & common problems; Dropbox Link || Alternate Google Drive FAQ Link. || My gear: TV - Sony XBR75X850C, BD - Sony BDP S350, AVR - Pioneer VSX-1020, Speakers - RBH MC-616C MKII Center Channel, RBH MC-6C MKII Bookshelf (fronts), RBH MC-615 In-ceiling surrounds, RBH TS-10AP 200W self-powered sub.
post #5889 of 14907 Old 11-25-2015, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi all. New owner here. I just exchanged a buggy XBR65X810C for a XBR65X850C. Coming from the 810 the 850 is a big improvement in PQ. The build quality is to be better too. I am checking the firmware version and I can't remember where to check. Can someone point me in the right direction? What version is this TV on?
post #5890 of 14907 Old 11-25-2015, 05:23 PM

Calibration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw View Post
See my signature below...the link to the 850C calibration spreadsheet is there.

I do not see the one for the 65" is it OK to use the 75" and who's do I use...
post #5891 of 14907 Old 11-25-2015, 05:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I do not see the one for the 65" is it OK to use the 75" and who's do I use...
The spreadsheet covers all models...scroll to the right to see settings that owners from all sizes have posted.

2015 Sony X850C FAQ: Recommended Picture settings, 3D FAQ, HDR FAQ, DirecTV 4K Ready FAQ, Troubleshooting & common problems; Dropbox Link || Alternate Google Drive FAQ Link. || My gear: TV - Sony XBR75X850C, BD - Sony BDP S350, AVR - Pioneer VSX-1020, Speakers - RBH MC-616C MKII Center Channel, RBH MC-6C MKII Bookshelf (fronts), RBH MC-615 In-ceiling surrounds, RBH TS-10AP 200W self-powered sub.
post #5892 of 14907 Old 11-25-2015, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
If you mean flashlight light everything being real bright, every room in a show is white... and the cloud being a haze like rooms have smoke in them... I did have that with the vizio... Tonight I will test with a few evening shows.
I did watch NCIS last night... every room was white... and most rooms full of smoke, or fog.... are we seeing the same thing with the Vizio..
I'm not understanding what you are saying. Are you saying you prefer the Sony over the Vizio or not ? I also don't think you understand what flashlighting and clouding is...see this. http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-...-flashlighting
post #5893 of 14907 Old 11-25-2015, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvidia256 View Post
It does and it doesn't. FALD is not without it flaws and causes other issues in order to obtain a deeper black. For example it ends up damping whites and brighter colors which in turn messes with how contrast is presented. Remember the Vizio only has 32 zones, so certain scenes it will work decently, where as others it ends up hurting the picture. I have a M60 downstairs and it's a great TV for the money but the SONY barring that you get a good unit is overall the better display IMO and it's blacks are on par once you turn FALD off on the Vizio. I think at the end of the day it all depends on your needs. The SONY is just a more refined and feature rich TV

Oh one more thing. One advantage to the Vizio is that since it uses FALD, 21:9 Movies(where the top and bottom are cut off) have a nice dark black border with no bleed since the TV will shut those zones off.
FALD is never a negative. It's a premium feature on a TV, which is why Sony has it on their top of the line XBR-75X940C. They elected to keep it off of this line for some reason, I guess to cut costs. I care more about picture quality then bells and whistles.
post #5894 of 14907 Old 11-25-2015, 07:35 PM

2 TVs

Quote:
I'm not understanding what you are saying. Are you saying you prefer the Sony over the Vizio or not ? I also don't think you understand what flashlighting and clouding is...see this. http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-...-flashlighting

Yes, after watching 2 TVs for a few hours.... I like the Sony better... I need to tweak it, to make it perfect.
Has no Jitter
You are right, I did not know what flashlighting was... but the Vizio definitely has more white haze to the picture.
So the Sony wins... even though, the Vizio dropped in price 200 tonight to 1299.
Wonder if the Sony will drop anymore before xmass, but I doubt it...

Someone mentioned to load opera as a browser.... I could have sworn the Sony rep at BB showed me a browser, or, that may have been the 900 but he told me they were the same.

I looked at the calibrations and see a few different opinions... I will work with them tomorrow....
post #5895 of 14907 Old 11-25-2015, 07:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
I looked at the calibrations and see a few different opinions... I will work with them tomorrow....
Here are some fairly easy to follow calibrations that will get you most of the way there. Then when you're finished just tweak it to your liking by adding a touch more/less brightness or color. X850C Settings
post #5896 of 14907 Old 11-25-2015, 07:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielson99 View Post
Here are some fairly easy to follow calibrations that will get you most of the way there. Then when you're finished just tweak it to your liking by adding a touch more/less brightness or color. X850C Settings
FYI, the rtings.com settings are included in the 850c calibration spreadsheet in my Sig.

Last edited by Danabw; 11-25-2015 at 09:27 PM.
post #5897 of 14907 Old 11-25-2015, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Pulled the trigger on the XBR 850C today. Walked into Howards and said if you can match Fry's no tax sale and free delivery, im in. To my surprise, they said sure.

Delivery Friday! Cant wait!
post #5898 of 14907 Old 11-25-2015, 08:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
FYI, the things.com settings are included in the 850c calibration spreadsheet in my Sig.

Great, I saved the site for reference. Too bad the values in the left column scroll off the screen if you want to see but I guess a person can just shrink it down enough to see it all. The links aren't working for me either.
post #5899 of 14907 Old 11-25-2015, 08:35 PM

Quote:
FALD is never a negative. It's a premium feature on a TV, which is why Sony has it on their top of the line XBR-75X940C. They elected to keep it off of this line for some reason, I guess to cut costs. I care more about picture quality then bells and whistles.
Gdog that is simply not true. FALD is highly dependent on it's implementation. The Vizio has only a mere 32 zones. Simply not enough to eliminate the side effects. Even the Vizio P series with FALD had a minimum of 64 Zones. As for the SONY 940 with FALD it suffers from pretty bad blooming and is a poor execution of FALD. They used vertical zones since the TV was using edge backlight.
Danabw likes this.
post #5900 of 14907 Old 11-25-2015, 09:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Great, I saved the site for reference. Too bad the values in the left column scroll off the screen if you want to see but I guess a person can just shrink it down enough to see it all. The links aren't working for me either.
The first column of the spreadsheet that has the Picture settings menu listings is locked so it won't disappear as you scroll to the right to see additional columns of the spreadsheet. If it is behaving differently for you, let me know, it works normally on my laptop.

If you just want to see more columns at one time, then yes, you'll have to reduce the zoom level (or get a bigger monitor) until you can see what you want to see. Why not cast it to the TV?

The links to the posts won't work if you click on them directly - I'm not sure why, frankly, something odd about how Excel is calling the browser when you click on them. I'll put a note in the spreadsheet about that so it's clearer, thanks for the feedback.

The links will work fine if you copy the link and paste it into your browser.

If anyone knows why the links won't work when clicked on in the spreadsheet, I'm all ears.

post #5901 of 14907 Old 11-25-2015, 09:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The first column of the spreadsheet that has the Picture settings menu listings is locked so it won't disappear as you scroll to the right to see additional columns of the spreadsheet. If it is behaving differently for you, let me know, it works normally on my laptop.

If you just want to see more columns at one time, then yes, you'll have to reduce the zoom level (or get a bigger monitor) until you can see what you want to see. Why not cast it to the TV?

The links to the posts won't work if you click on them directly - I'm not sure why, frankly, something odd about how Excel is calling the browser when you click on them. I'll put a note in the spreadsheet about that so it's clearer, thanks for the feedback.

The links will work fine if you copy the link and paste it into your browser.

If anyone knows why the links won't work when clicked on in the spreadsheet, I'm all ears.
For some reason the cells are connected and when I try to highlight the link to copy and paste it tries to copy all the links in all columns. The far left column stays far left for me also. I'm using firefox.
post #5902 of 14907 Old 11-25-2015, 09:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
For some reason the cells are connected and when I try to highlight the link to copy and paste it tries to copy all the links in all columns. The far left column stays far left for me also. I'm using firefox.
Sounds like you're opening the excel file in a browser view, rather than in the MS Excel application?

If you have Excel, try downloading the calibration file and then opening it directly from Excel...choose to save the file when you click on it in your browser (or you may have to right click and select to save), and then open the file from Excel after downloading.

IF you don't have Excel, you can get Star Office or other free excel-compatible SW on the web.

post #5903 of 14907 Old 11-25-2015, 10:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sounds like you're opening the excel file in a browser view, rather than in the MS Excel application?

If you have Excel, try downloading the calibration file and then opening it directly from Excel...choose to save the file when you click on it in your browser (or you may have to right click and select to save), and then open the file from Excel after downloading.

IF you don't have Excel, you can get Star Office or other free excel-compatible SW on the web.
I can download it from the website your link is addressed to. If your link was an actual excel file it would open automatically but it goes to dropbox. I guess firefox uses it's own program to display and open it. I will download it for future reference.
post #5904 of 14907 Old 11-25-2015, 10:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I can download it from the website your link is addressed to. If your link was an actual excel file it would open automatically but it goes to dropbox. I guess firefox uses it's own program to display and open it. I will download it for future reference.
Yes, just to be clear, it's shared from drop box, and it is an actual Excel file.

post #5905 of 14907 Old 11-25-2015, 11:36 PM

Liked: 10
Bought a 65 850 tonight, maybe im picky but bottom couple rows of pixels looks off? thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4435.gif
Views:	159
Size:	339.0 KB
ID:	1080786   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4432.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	392.7 KB
ID:	1080794   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4434.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	449.8 KB
ID:	1080802   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4436.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	390.2 KB
ID:	1080810  
post #5906 of 14907 Old 11-25-2015, 11:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggstuu View Post
Just executed a purchase on the 850C in 65". Get it home in all its glory. Like a new born babe, it was swaddled, and unsheathed lovingly. Then I find this. As the pics show, there is no damage whatsoever to the outside of the unit, nor its styrofoam. This was clearly done at the factory. I'm disgusted, disappointed, etc., etc. Gonna make a trip to BB in the morning.
It looks like at some point it was transported flat instead of upright. Fairly unlikely it was boxed like this.

Also, a comment about the Color Space setting. A lot of people are setting it (BT.709, Rec.2020, etc.) In theory, "Auto" causes the TV to read the color space from the video source. You would only need to change it manually if your source isn't passing proper information. Manually setting this may end up forcing video into a color space it shouldn't be using skewing the colors.

Once size doesn't fit all. DVDs and SD sources (including SD bonus features on a BD) are usually BT.601. HD does NOT have to be BT.709 either (but it should). Setting Rec.2020 for anything but UHD mixed for it will convert your colors in a way that's not as good as using the 'Live Color' setting.

@mdbill2001 - Turn off any Sony noise reduction and deblocking, set your Sharpness to 50 (which is neutral) and many people like the Reality Creation set low to something like 20 (which brings up fine detail).

I've never found 4k Vizio to have better black levels or detail than the X850C especially not for HD and UHD sources.

Quote:
Last question, for now.... what is the USB things they plugged in the back with the little dots attached...
Yes, this is two IR blasters. There is a setup for it on the Recommendation/top line of your menu. You can set them up to control cable/satellite boxes or AV Receivers that don't use ARC.

For most of the options, VirtualRain has written the near-definitive guide: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post37248098
Danabw and mdbill2001 like this.

Last edited by DoctorM; 11-26-2015 at 12:00 AM.
post #5907 of 14907 Old 11-26-2015, 12:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Was at BB earlier and saw a lot of X85C boxes on sale with label of X850C. Are they identical models?
post #5908 of 14907 Old 11-26-2015, 12:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmscs View Post
Was at BB earlier and saw a lot of X85C boxes on sale with label of X850C. Are they identical models?
Yes, all the boxes say X85C on them but they are all the X850C series.
post #5909 of 14907 Old 11-26-2015, 06:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilaszewski View Post
Bought a 65 850 tonight, maybe im picky but bottom couple rows of pixels looks off? thoughts?
if you don't have blue edges, then ignore what you are seeing here and be happy

see my sig for test clips and pictures

Sony xbr65x850c Side Blooming test clips:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...br65x850c.xlsx
post #5910 of 14907 Old 11-26-2015, 06:42 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp787 View Post
if you don't have blue edges, then ignore what you are seeing here and be happy

see my sig for test clips and pictures

Is there a test clip I can play off YouTube to confirm no blue edges? I think they look fine. I can see a slight band if I look real close middle right but very slight and it's a 65" panel so how nuts do I have to get? Maybe a hint of darker bloches with scrolling bar YouTube test but can't see it while watching normal content.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
4k suhd , android , firmware , hdr , ir blaster , reboot , XBR-55X850C , xbr-65x850c xbr-75x850c

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page