Sony 2015 XBR-55X850C / XBR-65X850C / XBR-75X850C owners club - Page 22 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11990Likes

post #631 of 14995 Old 05-19-2015, 09:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 13
You're right. But android fire uses a bastardised version of android for it's core architecture. So that's a unique case in terms as side loading apps.

Reading more it seems we are all guilty of confusing apps to launchers. Sounds like you guys want to install a new launcher , which does sometimes need root depending on manufacturer.

Jonny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 14995 Old 05-19-2015, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdd543 View Post
I didn't like the rting settings on my 65--too dark and just not great to me. I think I'm on cinema pro with motion turned off at this point. I ordered one of those calibration discs that I'm going to try.
Keep us all posted on your results I'll spend time on the weekend messing around with the settings. Life is sucking the fun out of playing with my new toy
post #633 of 14995 Old 05-19-2015, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Quoted: 12883 Post(s)
Liked: 12256
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasyn View Post
I meant that HDR is off when taking pictures on my iPhone 5s, not that the unit has HDR. I know it doesn't.

I'm confused by your other comments though. Then again, I took this picture before using the rtings calibration.

I'm torn between the calibration. While I know the colors are accurate, I'm kind of leaning towards the over saturation for some reason. I like that the colors pop. Isn't that what we should be aiming for? LOL Vibrant colors? Perhaps it's my own personal preference.

Custom Rtings

Standard
Standard. Accurate is boring at times. U spend your hard earned money. U spend all day at work looking at "accurate colors", why not come home and be entertained with something u don't see ALL DAY LONG :P
mpgxsvcd and jasyn like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #634 of 14995 Old 05-19-2015, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasyn View Post
Keep us all posted on your results I'll spend time on the weekend messing around with the settings. Life is sucking the fun out of playing with my new toy
Yeah true it is. Hopefully I can get to it this week, but it may be the weekend.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
post #635 of 14995 Old 05-19-2015, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by player002 View Post
preety sure on amazon fire tv with the latest update they prevent you from instaling kodi. My uncle had to get a older version for him to be able to push kodi to the the box.So this is not true yes you can side load apps to android but certain apps are blocked by not having developer mode/permissions for unkown soure apps. On regular android os on phnes tablets you can select build number and by clicking 10 times u get developers mode for sytems such as fire tv and most likely the tvs android sytem you need to root to get developers permission..
Amazon Fire TV is not Google certified and is an abomination of Android.

In order to be "Google certified" i.e., be able to include the Play Store among other Google applications into your version of Android, you have to meet certain criteria. I don't know for sure, but I would imagine one of them would include leaving developer options available to users since Google is all about that.
post #636 of 14995 Old 05-19-2015, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
Standard. Accurate is boring at times. U spend your hard earned money. U spend all day at work looking at "accurate colors", why not come home and be entertained with something u don't see ALL DAY LONG :P
I usually use a custom setting like Standard and I adjust it to my liking since I also like a bit punchier colors, personally. You are right, everything does not have to be accurate, that is just right out ridiculous. It is a 4K tv, have some fun with it and enjoy it.
post #637 of 14995 Old 05-19-2015, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdd543 View Post
I didn't like the rting settings on my 65--too dark and just not great to me. I think I'm on cinema pro with motion turned off at this point. I ordered one of those calibration discs that I'm going to try.
I forgot to mention, I left Brightness at the default of 30 or was it 35? I forget, but I didn't follow that setting on rtings.
post #638 of 14995 Old 05-19-2015, 10:49 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
~ 600 lines of motion resolution vs under good conditions maybe ~ 300? probably less

Was it you that had a plasma ? if so .............told ya..... it's starting .........plasma withdrawals ? if not the ~300 line thing still applies .
I feel it has to be more of a setting issue. No way should this motion be normal. Watching Youtube videos or casting "Last Week Tonight", even John Oliver's hands moving up and down while at his desk had that look of judder and not smooth. Its like seeing his hands where they were and where they are at same time but its obviously doing this very fast.
post #639 of 14995 Old 05-19-2015, 10:57 AM

Location: The Outer Limits....Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalto View Post
It is definitely one of things that is personal preference. I generally prefer more accurate colors but lots of people prefer them to be more intense.

Just go with what you like
This posts isn't for the regulars that know all this stuff just the newbies, regulars that know all this stiff will be bored stiff . .

Not so fast amigo :
The AVS way is usually to calibrate ( you can at the same time accommodate personal preferences see below) :

Baseline calibration is critical to realize the potential of your TV otherwise you might just take it back,get a Dynex and leave it on Vivid and have a coke .

Remember this is AVS here not the bush leagues do AVS and Sony proud and put up some videophile and make this a *real owners club thread* to be taken seriously here whether U own one of these sets or not U can do this on any decent set

After you view a decent and accurately calibrated set for a while
as a rule usually you will become aware* over time* of the fine detail ,depth of field and color gradations you have been missing all along outside of an accurate calibration and not have torch mode /color pop withdrawals anymore . ..................( like most self respecting plasma owners know already . )

Do not trust your eyes for this without patterns i.e. at least color and grey scale gradation patterns black pluge ,white clipping ,gamma and sharpness patterns more on on this below . You can buy a calibration DVD/BD or various downloads are free here with some basic instruction here AVS HD 709
link : https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-di...libration.html

Of course as you learn more grasshoppers you can graduate to an investment in a colorimeter and calibrate with one of those like any self respecting enthusiast or professional

What you may not know programming and content is presently color graded to itu rec709 standards ******with movies usually being D 3* (similar but with more color spectrum ) and rec 709 is what we calibrate to for best resuts overall . Once you get a baseline calibration in Cinema (movie or theater on other sets ) you can store some (*other calibrations to your preferences * on various content in some of the other modes ) or just watch the *other pre sets like a newbie ) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rec._709

I have 4 calibrations stored in my 2013 Sammie Plasma and Sony LED set and depending what I am watching I use mostly 2 of them cinema is the accurate one then I set one up in game with a few ticks more brightness and color( maybe ~ 5 -8 ) being the only changes good for program material mostly shot indoors e.g. like the good wife for instance it brings out the shadows and shadow detail and brightens it up ( it's a little soft on cinema ) then when I want to get hard I have a slightly more aggressive calibration in general mode .( you can swap these parameters in game and general if U are a gamer .

Also *you can do an accurate and very good calibration in General and use that as a baseline also I prefer Cinema for baseline YMMV and neither is wrong (*General is just not usually *as accurate to film/movie as Cinema on Sony or movie on other sets ) ofc you have to start with an accurate base calibration that you use in Cinema and or General copied or saved to global/all to the other *inputs and modes *you use otherwise it like P in the wind .You cant do that without something like AVS HD 709 or a Spears and Munsill DVD

You need to set the color brightness,contrast (contrast will usually be 85% to max for adequate white levels ) and at reference below the (specific ) rec 709 clipping thresholds on gradient scales and set black to .016 on a black (brightness) pluge pattern and set the white (contrast) threshold at ~235-238 on white clip pattern (sometimes Gamma on a gamma pattern )*don't use a web browser or You Tube video they are not accurate*

If you calibrate You will be using color and grey scale gradients , black pluge ,white clipping ,sharpness,scaling and Gamma patterns in a +basic* calibration :
anything beyond that requires a coloromiter (and know how to use it ) and its not a good idea at all to fool around with any grey scale or white balance settings without a colorimeter *that's what those advanced calibration setting are for *
I use the free AVS HD 709 (and read the info on the page ) thing it's as good as anything out there and is considered a calibration reference.

Run it in on a PC ( 1080p HDMI only or DVI-D to HDMI only ) or burn it to a blue ray if U can or put it on a USB and copy these settings to General,Cinema of course (and leave them alone there there *that establishes a base line most accurate to film calibration *) You definitely will notice is superior on movies (* that's what movies and better TV are color graded to in post *) copy the baseline calibration to General,Game ,and Music and both Cinema modes. Probably use Cinema 1 to set the baseline or whichever one Sony sez for movies.
*these* have pretty neutral underlying CMS settings ,then adjust your preferences in *those modes * and leave Cinema T * F alone
Warm or warm one color temp should ne set if not default in every mode tou calibrate and copy to the one *viewing exception using neut coolr is noted below * Note a Baseline calibration should be done and copied to every input and mode you use unless there is a save to global or all type option on you set +

*I'm thinking *if you have 2 Cinema use one for day one for nite the only change will usually be reduced brightness in nite mode to the point that in a dark room letter bars become invisible *without crushing blacks or shadow detail* i.e. you should be lapels and details on an actor in a black suit ,on the black suit.

Stay T * F out of anything Vivid and Sports they push blue and skew the colors and over saturate and crush details they are for the wall mart shoppers that don't know ant better not for any self respecting enthusiast and will get you ridicule here from the videophiles and haters besides

In order *I have* Cinema most accurate on Sony (day night calibrations ) Game ,little more brightness and color without significant over saturation or clipping ofc ) General ,little more of both and *sometimes neut color temp instead of warm (or warm 1 on some sets) ,sometimes not , these are my four calibrations and depending whats on and your preferences it gives you a good range of options and keeps you from having to *constantly fiddle with things * and screw them up (as long as you don't stray to far from the baseline calibrations and start clipping,oversaturating and crushing things majorly like newbies usually do

We were all confused torch mode newbies once I'm just pointing out options I'm not preaching ..

If I left anything out the cogneizzetti are welcome to add anthing or anything specific to these sets as usual ofc
chuckf1 and jasyn like this.

Last edited by tubetwister; 05-19-2015 at 09:19 PM.
post #640 of 14995 Old 05-19-2015, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 7
I didn't understand half of that, as I have never calibrated a TV before, but I have access to a colorimeter in work so maybe I should give it a go with the 65X850
post #641 of 14995 Old 05-19-2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Not so fast amigo :
The AVS way is usually to calibrate ( you can at the same time accommodate personal preferences see below) :

Baseline calibration is critical to realize the potential of your TV otherwise you might just take it back,get a Dynex and leave it on Vivid and have a coke .

Remember this is AVS here not the bush leagues do AVS and Sony proud and put up some videophile and make this a real *owners club thread* here wether U own one of these sets or not U can do this on any decent set

After you view a decent and accurately calibrated set for a while
as a rule usually you will become aware* over time* of the fine detail ,depth of field and color gradations you have been missing all along outside of an accurate calibration and not have torch mode /color pop withdrawals anymore . ..................( like most self respecting plasma owners know already . )

Do not trust your eyes for this without patterns i.e. at least color and grey scale gradation patterns black pluge ,white clipping ,gamma and sharpness patterns more on on this below . You can buy a calibration DVD/BD or various downloads are free here with some basic instruction here AVS HD 709
link : https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-di...libration.html

Of course as you learn more grasshoppers you can graduate to an investment in a colorimeter and calibrate with one of those like any self respecting enthusiast or professional

What you may not know programming and content is presently color graded to itu rec709 standards ******with movies usually being D 3* (similar but with more color spectrum ) and rec 709 is what we calibrate to for best resuts overall . Once you get a baseline calibration in Cinema (movie or theater on other sets ) you can store some (*other calibrations to your preferences * on various content in some of the other modes ) or just watch the *other pre sets like a newbie ) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rec._709

I have 4 calibrations stored in my 2013 Sammie Plasma and Sony LED set and depending what I am watching I use mostly 2 of them cinema is the accurate one then I set one up in game with a few ticks more brightness and color( maybe ~ 5 -8 ) being the only changes good for program material mostly shot indoors e.g. like the good wife for instance it brings out the shadows and shadow detail and brightens it up ( it's a little soft on cinema ) then when I want to get hard I have a slightly more aggressive calibration in general mode .( you can swap these parameters in game and general if U are a gamer .

Also *you can do an accurate and very good calibration in General and use that as a baseline also I prefer Cinema for baseline YMMV and neither is wrong (*General is just not usually *as accurate to film/movie as Cinema on Sony or movie on other sets ) ofc you have to start with an accurate base calibration that you use in Cinema and or General copied or saved to global/all to the other *inputs and modes *you use otherwise it like P in the wind .You cant do that without something like AVS HD 709 or a Spears and Munsill DVD

You need to set the color brightness,contrast (contrast will usually be 85% to max for adequate white levels ) and at reference below the (specific ) rec 709 clipping thresholds on gradient scales and set black to .016 on a black (brightness) pluge pattern and set the white (contrast) threshold at ~235-238 on white clip pattern (sometimes Gamma on a gamma pattern )*don't use a web browser or You Tube video they are not accurate*

If you calibrate You will be using color and grey scale gradients , black pluge ,white clipping ,sharpness,scaling and Gamma patterns in a +basic* calibration :
anything beyond that requires a coloromiter (and know how to use it ) and its not a good idea at all to fool around with any grey scale or white balance settings without a colorimeter *that's what those advanced calibration setting are for *
I use the free AVS HD 709 (and read the info on the page ) thing it's as good as anything out there and is considered a calibration reference.

Run it in on a PC ( 1080p HDMI only or DVI-D to HDMI only ) or burn it to a blue ray if U can or put it on a USB and copy these settings to General,Cinema of course (and leave them alone there there *that establishes a base line most accurate to film calibration *) You definitely will notice is superior on movies (* that's what movies and better TV are color graded to in post *) copy the baseline calibration to General,Game ,and Music and both Cinema modes. Probably use Cinema 1 to set the baseline or whichever one Sony sez for movies.
*these* have pretty neutral underlying CMS settings ,then adjust your preferences in *those modes * and leave Cinema T * F alone
Warm or warm one color temp should ne set if not default in every mode tou calibrate and copy to the one *viewing exception using neut coolr is noted below * Note a Baseline calibration should be done and copied to every input and mode you use unless there is a save to global or all type option on you set +

*I'm thinking *if you have 2 Cinema use one for day one for nite the only change will usually be reduced brightness in nite mode to the point that in a dark room letter bars become invisible *without crushing blacks or shadow detail* i.e. you should be lapels and details on an actor in a black suit ,on the black suit.

Stay T * F out of anything Vivid and Sports they push blue and skew the colors and over saturate and crush details they are for the wall mart shoppers that don't know ant better not for any self respecting enthusiast and will get you ridicule here from the videophiles and haters besides

In order *I have* Cinema most accurate on Sony (day night calibrations ) Game ,little more brightness and color without significant over saturation or clipping ofc ) General ,little more of both and *sometimes neut color temp instead of warm (or warm 1 on some sets) ,sometimes not , these are my four calibrations and depending whats on and your preferences for that it gives you a good range of options and keeps you from having to *constantly fiddle with things * and screw them up (as long as you don't stray to far from the baseline calibrations and start clipping,oversaturating and crushing things majorly like newbies usually do

We were all confused torch mode newbies once

If I left anything out the cogneizzetti are welcome to add anthing or anything specific to these sets as usual ofc
Once again you went overboard.

Lol at might as well get a Dynex. Unfortunately, no matter what you do that will never have anything close to a Sony no matter what "Torch" colors use set it to, so therefore, why even say that. Fine this is AVS, big deal. That doesn't mean we have to certain settings other people use. Obviously, everyone should learn how calibrate their TV then adjust the picture, colors, detail, processing etc.. to their individual liking, especially since we all do not like the same settings which has been made evident in the thousands of threads over the years causing people to argue and get eventually get banned and/or an infraction on this site. Not that this has happened to me, not at all...

I need a 75" Dynex with HDR and I will be set for life... :-)
post #642 of 14995 Old 05-19-2015, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markitron View Post
I didn't understand half of that, as I have never calibrated a TV before, but I have access to a colorimeter in work so maybe I should give it a go with the 65X850
Aww man... You are in for a ride... good luck
tubetwister likes this.
post #643 of 14995 Old 05-19-2015, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itwillneverend View Post

Lol at might as well get a Dynex. Unfortunately, no matter what you do that will never have anything close to a Sony no matter what "Torch" colors use set it to, so therefore, why even say that. Fine this is AVS, big deal. That doesn't mean we have to certain settings other people use. Obviously, everyone should learn how calibrate their TV then adjust the picture, colors, detail, processing etc.. to their individual liking, especially since we all do not like the same settings which has been made evident in the thousands of threads over the years causing people to argue and get eventually get banned and/or an infraction on this site. Not that this has happened to me, not at all...

deleted

Last edited by jdavidev; 05-19-2015 at 12:54 PM. Reason: wrong person
post #644 of 14995 Old 05-19-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markitron View Post
This posts isn't for the regulars that know all this stuff just the newbies, regulars that know all this stiff will be bored stiff .

check out the calibration threads here while it can get crazy technical there should be some basic thread stickys .
keep in mind brightness sets minimum black levels (MIL) lower is blacker too high makes blacks grey.

color is *saturation to little picture looks washed out to much and it crushes details (best to set with color gradation patterns below actually *within the clipping thresholds of *all the colors on the pattern* same for grayscale gradation and white clipping pattern max on the pattrns are up to ~235-238 on TV ,BD,DVD and > *250-255 on PC and game consoles set at YbCbr 4:4:4 Chroma sub sampling whereas *all the other devices and STB will be within YbCbr 2:2:0 *device default *

Blue Ray is YbCbr 4:2:2 and not adjustable having the *correct* chroma subsampling values foe *each device is important to avoid to much pixel manipulation and pixel image distortion ,depreciation or resolution reduction it's not adjustable on TV just PC and game console outputs.

Most TV and Sonys will always switch the Chroma sub sampling to correct value for the device detected in EDIE data stream when switched to *any given input that supports the device *

End users only need to set game consoles and PC to YbCbr 4:4:4 and make sure the input they use supports it other than that nothing more for the end user to do there . OTOH if you use HDMI switching *you may* have to turn the TV and or device off/on to change from a 4:4:4 to 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 value.to keep pixel manipulation at a minimum . ofc if not gaming or editing on PC you *can use 4:2:2.

Good things to look for is red detail in a talking heads clothing like collars ,lapels and wrinkles to set or evaluate color sat if U dont calibrate you want to *just see* the detail as clear as you can .

By the same token exact ^^^same applies to Brightness IOW you want black blacks without crushing black and shadow details and also
not to much color to crush those details while at the same time looking for white details like that (or in clouds) so as not to clip the white detail .

I would stay t/f out of white balance and grey scale advanced calibration altogether if U don't know what you are doing with a colorimeter or otherwise and using *those settings( from another set or the web) *usually won't work on*your set*
Read up these settings /what they do /and how to do them at Cal man .com or something before you use them and just use the normal user adjustments in*that* menu.

I'm just pointing out options I'm not preaching ..

Last edited by tubetwister; 05-19-2015 at 09:26 PM.
post #645 of 14995 Old 05-19-2015, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Thanks, Ill check out those links. I'm a TV enthusiast so it's about time I start getting some experience with calibrations.
post #646 of 14995 Old 05-19-2015, 01:58 PM

Quote:

Sony can be just as bad as dynex when not set right . In fact over years they often used the same panels so did Toshiba and even Westinghouse and lots of others (something you may not know and I have seen first hand ) not to mention there is nothing exceptional about the panel in 55x850C )probably the other 850C's in fact is the 55850C panel is only average not bad nothing special aside from Triluminous added to the lamp modules.
ofc generally Sony has much better color than Dynex but below the X9xxx probably just as good or *sometimes same panels.

OTOH with all the parts in supply chain being commodities now it's not a stretch to think aftermarket off the shelf silicon like Media Tek
( that Sony uses also in some sets ) can't catch up with Sony X1 and X1 pro (very soon ) that doesn't even count LG and Samsung anyway .
Not to mention somebody will buy Sony TV subsidiarity soon (Sony inc. wants out) and might spread the love anyway .

If one knows anything about calibration (*the reasons for them* ) why pros always do them ,and naturally occurring TV set production tolerances even at Sony and environmental variances they would of course completely agree with my 2 or 3 prior postings .

I didn't make any of that up it's what it is .............Not only that it allows for personal preferences further I don't think any pro would tell you otherwise not stay below clipping thresholds and above reference black calibrated or not .

I think your opinion in this post is *partly wrong* but otherwise fine that folks should learn calibration and my argument is supported all over here (and any serious discussion )since B4 the beginning of at AVS anyway. ( note : that I did advocate preference tweaking *near or below* clipping thresholds alongside an accurate calibration ....I'll be waiting for your apology on *that point . )

Keep in mind this is not a serious thread yet and with some exceptions it's full of newbies that are all gaga over their new sets because they just don't know any better and* how much they can improve it with calibration and some preference tweaking beyond that but *this thread* may evolve as they usually do around here*

I almost took My sony back before I calibrated it and keep in mind *that set*likely has a much better panel than any of the X850C and does in fact have a much better panel than the 55x850C setting aside 2160p which is unimportant to picture quality anyway in general [/U] not to mention half of the Sony Pre sets are torch mode anyway again I'm just pointing out options I'm not preaching ..

SRSLY maybe you should get a Dynex? by what I see in this posting ( *maybe * can't take you seriously any more maybe U can prove me wrong? I hope ) also I*could presume you just might be just as happy with one of those on a pre set anyway although I don't think so

Last edited by tubetwister; 05-19-2015 at 09:27 PM.
post #647 of 14995 Old 05-19-2015, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Sony can be just as bad as dynex when not set right . In fact over years they often used the same panels (something you may not know and I have seen first hand ) not to mention there is nothing exceptional about the panel in 55x850C )probably the other 850C's in fact is the 55850C panel is only average not bad nothing special aside from Triluminous added to the lamp modules.
ofc generally Sony has much better color than Dynex but below the X9xxx probably just as good or *sometimes same panels.

If one knows anything about calibration (*the reasons for them* ) why pros always do them ,and naturally occurring TV set production tolerances even at Sony and environmental variances they would of course completely agree with my 2 or 3 prior postings .

I didn't make any of that up it's what it is .............Not only that it allows for personal preferences further I don't think any pro would tell you otherwise not stay below clipping thresholds and above reference black calibrated or not .

I think your opinion in this post is *partly wrong* but otherwise fine that folks should learn calibration and my argument is supported all over here (and any serious discussion )since B4 the beginning of at AVS anyway. ( note : that I did advocate preference tweaking *near or below* clipping thresholds alongside an accurate calibration ....I'll be waiting for your apology on *that point . )

Keep in mind this is not a serious thread yet and with some exceptions it's full of newbies that are all gaga over their new sets because they just don't know any better and* how much they can improve it with calibration and some preference tweaking beyond that but *this thread* may evolve as they usually do around here*

I almost took My sony back before I calibrated it and keep in mind *that set*likely has a much better panel than any of the X850C and does in fact have a much better panel than the 55x850C setting aside 2160p which is unimportant to picture quality anyway in general [/U] not to mention half of the Sony Pre sets are torch mode anyway

SRSLY maybe you should get a Dynex? by what I see in this posting ( *maybe * can't take you seriously any more maybe U can prove me wrong? I hope ) also I*could presume you just might be just as happy with one of those on a pre set anyway although I don't think so
Nah, I am still happy watching my 2007 50" Pio 5070 in my bedroom each and every evening
post #648 of 14995 Old 05-19-2015, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Nah, I am still happy watching my 2007 50" Pio 5070 in my bedroom each and every evening
that wouldn't be a stretch of the imagination ..........or unreasonable either

Read my recent edits above I made some changes and additions : I know the posts today are way too long but a lot newbies don't even know what a calibration is like us much less how to or clipping or anything much beyond turning their sets on and off and may not even know not to use vivid . Those posts weren't for the regulars like you that know all this stuff just the newbies.

We

Last edited by tubetwister; 05-19-2015 at 02:54 PM.
post #649 of 14995 Old 05-19-2015, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca4224 View Post
I feel it has to be more of a setting issue. No way should this motion be normal. Watching Youtube videos or casting "Last Week Tonight", even John Oliver's hands moving up and down while at his desk had that look of judder and not smooth. Its like seeing his hands where they were and where they are at same time but its obviously doing this very fast.
\

Have to agree that it shouldn't be normal :

Any other You Tube channels ? if not I wouldn't be real concerned and just watch something else it may fix itself eventually if it's a problem at Google end ( I doubt it but could be ) .

If you see it on other You Tube channels .. It could be the Youtube app at Sony. You Tube is HTML mark up and has to be ported over to Android specifically for the Sony devices and if the app is poorly written that kind of stuff can probably happen .

If the TV has a Google browser (presumably it does ) you might want to try You Tube that way
instead and see how that works Sony and TV mfr. et,al incompetence with firmware software in general is conventional wisdom

Maybe if enough people complain they will update the app (if that is prob.)

Last edited by tubetwister; 05-19-2015 at 03:48 PM.
post #650 of 14995 Old 05-19-2015, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itwillneverend
forgot to mention I had an 2011 production 50" RCA 720p plasma I bought on DD clearance NIB at BB in feb 2013 on an impulse buy when I bought another set that day (all samsung inside panel ,boards everything ) by then RCA was ON corp out of so.Korea and no longer TCL.
presumably at their price points they are a lot better than the previous TCl/RCA product and that was the mission statement from ON and that
they didn't want compete with the likes of Sony or Samsung but remain a value proposition. To be honest the build quality on that was as good as any same era Samsung out there ....ofc maybe they made it ? .

I used it a while no complains .....I sold it for a lot more than I paid for it and bought the 60" 1080p 2013 Samsung plasma on sale ofc . That 720p RCA/Samsung plasma had an excellent picture that can still destroy most 2014-2015 LCD pictures and it was decently bright also .......should have kept it but I already have 5 sets here.

the long and short of it is (and you probably know this also ) is that 720p on a plasma destroys 720p on an LCD and most 1080p LCD

Last edited by tubetwister; 05-19-2015 at 04:15 PM.
post #651 of 14995 Old 05-19-2015, 04:50 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
\

Have to agree that it shouldn't be normal :

Any other You Tube channels ? if not I wouldn't be real concerned and just watch something else it may fix itself eventually if it's a problem at Google end ( I doubt it but could be ) .

If you see it on other You Tube channels .. It could be the Youtube app at Sony. You Tube is HTML mark up and has to be ported over to Android specifically for the Sony devices and if the app is poorly written that kind of stuff can probably happen .

If the TV has a Google browser (presumably it does ) you might want to try You Tube that way
instead and see how that works Sony and TV mfr. et,al incompetence with firmware software in general is conventional wisdom

Maybe if enough people complain they will update the app (if that is prob.)
If its the Youtube app (tried many channels) and the Chromecasted stream (Game of Thrones and Last Week Tonight) causing this (I hope) then the update can't come soon enough.

I'll put the TV through some fast action sequences and fight scenes...or even just fast hand gestures based on what I'm seeing and see how it performs via Blu-Ray.
post #652 of 14995 Old 05-19-2015, 06:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 27
What are the key differences between the XBR vs the KDL models? Are these differences worth $2000 for a 75" model?
post #653 of 14995 Old 05-19-2015, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1292 Post(s)
Liked: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgathright View Post
What are the key differences between the XBR vs the KDL models? Are these differences worth $2000 for a 75" model?
4k and WCG display at the very least.
post #654 of 14995 Old 05-19-2015, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgathright View Post
In addition to the above you probably won't loose much only the 2K 55W950B has WCG *AFAIK but otherwise you probably can find a pretty decent 1080p set just not quite at the XBR X900 series level but decent otherwise and on 1080P probably not far removed from the X850C models if at all for (~half the money) not a bad proposition.

Bravia 1080P X reality GPU should be fine IMO . I've got a calibrated 2013 1080P Sony that can make you drool on Blue ray or just clean cable channel or OTA sometimes and it'a Bravia too (better panel setting aside 2160P than the X850C ) they all use similar panels when you set aside 4K and the enhanced backlights and local dimming of X900 series sets those are the ('real XBR IMO) ...not so much the X850C IMO OTOH at 70- 75"depending on your viewing difference maybe compare the 70X850B 1080p and 75X850C 2160p. and above *viewing both content*on the 4K sets .

W950b AND W850C/800c models would presumably be the top dogs of Bravia's ,below that W630B , SRSLY ..considering the state of 1080p Cable/Sat ( if you have that ) they should be fine for that and decent OTA not much you can 'really do' about garbage in/garbage out that doesn't have all the 'clean real pixels' and *upscaled garbage is still garbage* that *could look worse * (there is no substitute for *clean real pixels * upscaled or not even with X reality pro, even with an XBR despite the hype that's why you don't see much of Cable/Sat in the store .
If all you watch is 4K stuff go for the XBR ...............

Last edited by tubetwister; 05-19-2015 at 09:27 PM.
post #655 of 14995 Old 05-19-2015, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi guys

What is the final verdict as far as comparison between Sammy JS8500 and Sony X850C? Anyone decided to return sammy and go with Sony?

Cheers
post #656 of 14995 Old 05-19-2015, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
That just means the content is boring that's all.......... and it can be frequently .

The best stuff is 24P movies or 1080p /2160P filmed in natural sunlight and a lot of the commercials (can't make *natural sunlight * in a studio or approach the cd/m2 (luminance )of the reflected colors in sunny daylight no matter how many light's ) *I believe sunlight in a temperate zone is equivalent to 11,000 cd/m2 as opposed to ~ 350 cd/m2 *maximum of your TV * way out of calibration * or the pre sets* . You can see all that on football game or any event inside ,under a dome or inside or even a sunny day vs cloudy day outside .

OTOH you can store some more color sat and brightness too ( maybe +2 or + 3 Gamma ) for more color pop your liking in general mode also and some of the other ones ( this stuff is all really very simple .) I'm just pointing out options I'm not preaching ..

I would NOT fool with Cinema much other than absolutely set max backlight and contrast maybe brightness (backlight and contrast are way to low in default cinema modes meant for total darkness) which should be done in all the inputs/modes/ scenes anyway with all the dynamic stuff and ECO stuff [off] .

The Reason Sony does that in Cinema and globally is (theater likeness in Cinema ) ,low energy use certification etc globally . and they can't duplicate*your room lighting *both of which are a good argument for an accurate calibration baseline (copied or saved globally to all inputs/modes/ scenes you can tweak to preference* outside of Cinema or general depending on where you want a baseline accurate calibration
( I prefer Cinema for the baseline cal, some prefer General neither is wrong outside of 24P film or D3 movies ) I often watch my other 3 stored *preferance * calibrations depending how things look on any given program or whatever that's what I recommend suite yourself it's your TV

Last edited by tubetwister; 05-19-2015 at 09:20 PM.
post #657 of 14995 Old 05-19-2015, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putsalar View Post
Hi guys

What is the final verdict as far as comparison between Sammy JS8500 and Sony X850C? Anyone decided to return sammy and go with Sony?

Cheers
Junk both of them and buy someting better or scare up a plasma </joke>

OTIH I thought the JS9000 was more than decent (it drew me in ) and I could see it maybe better than X850C easy peasy no prob but I haven't seen X850C OTOH the panel contrast could be better on X850B and HDMI also . IIRC the JS 8500 was close to the JS9000 and deny it stood out some .Sonys are made by Foxconn U know they get busy quality can slip mm mm !
look at it ?

Last edited by tubetwister; 05-20-2015 at 02:42 AM.
post #658 of 14995 Old 05-19-2015, 10:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Quote:
Junk both of them and buy someting better or scare up a plasma

That's the most ridiculous and insulting statement I can imagine someone making on a thread dedicated to the x850c. Especially someone that has posted here as many times as you have. The fact that you feel compelled to say your not preaching shows that you are indeed preaching. Scare up a plasma? Please. Why do you even own a Sony as opposed to scaring up another plasma to go with the one you already have. As informative as you've been with many many many many posts, your last one is sour and disappointing.
mpgxsvcd, ggw2000 and chuckf1 like this.
post #659 of 14995 Old 05-20-2015, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post
That's the most ridiculous and insulting statement I can imagine someone making on a thread dedicated to the x850c. Especially someone that has posted here as many times as you have. The fact that you feel compelled to say your not preaching shows that you are indeed preaching. Scare up a plasma? Please. Why do you even own a Sony as opposed to scaring up another plasma to go with the one you already have. As informative as you've been with many many many many posts, your last one is sour and disappointing.
^< was joke > U did not get it bro U just "owned yourself ".sorry you didn't get it I thought you would laugh (really) that the intent ....You drinking caffeine to nite ? ....you know how that can be ?

just trying to help the newbies that can only turn a set on

While I take a break from the serious mind challenge threads around here that's all I'm sure you've seen those (probably been there to )

Andy to be honest I'm surprised how trivial the Sony threads are in general here lately was it always like this ( or *most of the the smart people aren't buying Sony anymore ( or at least the X850C ) or just right now ..what gives ?

I think I've posted more than newbies can handle right now to be honest ( I might just link now) and there are no serious discussions here maybe serious enthusiasts are smart and waiting for bug fixes and manufacture process improvement on a new product ( that would be my game plan ).. I know this well :

I spent almost 40yrs in the Automotive/Transportation/Aviation OEM world that's how it works we had a saying never buy or fly or drive brand new product trust me. Usually (*something or some things are not designed or made right or material spec right and have to have rolling changes at best ) like the Boeing 787 electrical panels and li batteries for example (no rolling changes there those birds were grounded )

Cost the carriers and Boeing big money maybe some orders 787 -10 is $297.5 M per noy small money 787-9 is $257.1M and 787-8 is 218.3
you loose orders for 4 of those birds and you are talking WAY over over $1B.when you add in spares and product lifecycle support and MRO
revenue and non Boeing MRO support BIG $$ ..........grounding a new bird beyond a week or so for minor specific mro check is baaad news $$
You can not field validate every product variable that's what it is and I Always try to fly in their birds if it ain't brand new product Boeing is one of best bar none

OTOH, FWICS the X850C is OK maybe pretty decent but maybe not all that after all.
Panel contrast is way short of my Sony did not expect that .........,that counts more than 4K

X850C is weak in the HDMI busines in the TV it can only do 3840x2160/60p (YCbCr4:2:0 8bit) ON TV NO HDR or D3 in that HDMI chip only tiny bit of Sony Make believe maybe (panel maybe cant do it anyway U need 6200-1000 Nit for hdr it only has 350 in 55" OK but no HDR )I don't know about update fix? chip makers usually supply the reference drivers or firmware code that can't be modify much sooooo ...... I think the X900 series may have different chip ..............(don't know )

No 3840x2160/60p PC or any gaming Only [email protected] I think Vizio P can beat that HDMI thing and either way they use not bad Sharp ASV panels every bit as good as X850C probably better, Sharp can make good panels they are in fact about twice as bright than X850C . Viz P has (pixel tuning and FALD) SRSLY lot closer to HDR and D3 than X850 will ever be you know that how did that happen ?don't get me wrong I'm no Viz fanboi just tech spec compre here thats all ......they got lotta problems

I think they are coming to get Sony maybe some others but Sony is the weak link SRSLY <no joke >

Remember OLD HYUNDAI compare to NEW one..... who would of ever thought and I was in the business they snuck up on all us ..Toyota too! WE MADE BANK there though

Don't think for a minute it can't happen the writings on the wall Sony TV is on life support and about to get sold anyway <no joke Andy >

It would seem Sony's getting cheap ......I'm disappointed, I have a Sonny and been buying Sony for 25 years so I got skin in the game probably as much or maybe more than you I don't know ? ,sure more than all the newbie around here

I don't see any compelling reason for X850B since I already have a 2013 Sony with a much better panel than X850B when you set aside 2160P which has no bearing on picture quality unless you put your face up in it . I wanted to consider it though the panel looks to be a deal breaker for me ... and the HDMI . Glad I bought mine when I did Sonys are made and panels are assembled by Foxconn U know they get busy quality can slip mm mm !

Watch out for Vizio or LG they are coming to sell you set someday I saw a 2015 65"LG LCD with quantum dot or whatever SRSLY that thing can make you drool ....it was not cheap 2014 X950 Sonys (or whatever their flagship is didn't have nothing on it LG has more money for R&D also

Maybe when Sony TV subsidiary gets sold soon per the CEO publicly stated business plan.....( look it up ) <no joke this time> Andy its 's going to happen ... Sony inc. wants out of TV and electronics totally keeping game though SRSLY TV and electronics were never more than 20% of Sony's business in recent memory they are big money in (other businesses)
I'll be waiting for your apology..do that ............we can still be friends

P S: Andy no I wasn't preaching I don't care what people buy not my money ..... other people's money doesn't need any help from me to spend it self ☻ tell me what sets you looking at when you send X850C back or just don't want it anymore like all the other sets I can not remember I won't tell anybody scouts honor

Last edited by tubetwister; 05-20-2015 at 03:09 AM.
post #660 of 14995 Old 05-20-2015, 06:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked: 1647
75 Inch

Anyone have the 75" version of this TV yet? It's on my short list but wanted to know if anyone had it and if they were happy with it....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
4k suhd , android , firmware , hdr , ir blaster , reboot , XBR-55X850C , xbr-65x850c xbr-75x850c

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page