Sony 2015 XBR-55X850C / XBR-65X850C / XBR-75X850C owners club - Page 264 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11992Likes

post #7891 of 14995 Old 01-08-2016, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z1-B View Post
Some picture modes don't allow pixel adjustments use Standard or Game picture mode on a PC input . I use Game mode for my TV on the PC input .

Other picture modes outside of Game & Standard can default to -1 (block the setting ]and over scan the screen

Game or Standard picture mode ,usually game for a PC :
Goto your TV PC input on the TV then go to home >settings >screen >(make sure auto display area is [off ] > select display area you will see -1 , Normal and ,[full pixel ] or 1:1 pixel mapping .

Use full pixel to correct over scan and on a PC or in general.

If you need further adjustment You can scale the picture from a PC using your GPU software scaling slider .

PC input and most inputs should always be set in the TV as 1:1 or full pixel if the option is available.

Sometimes STB and other devices may need -1 or auto on those inputs my OTA is full pixel or auto .

+ 1 is a carryover from CRT days to hide NTSC vertical blanking frame/raster interrupt lines and other stuff outside of the picture and shouldn't be used as a rule

this is good for newbies
https://www.youtube.com/results?q=av...n+scaling+test
I am using the game mode however it doesn't matter what mode I'm on. I'm trying to do the settings in the bold but it is always greyed out..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7892 of 14995 Old 01-08-2016, 08:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by brilithos View Post
What settings did you go with?
HDR Picture Style with the following modifications:

Brightness: Max
Color: 40
Gamma: -1
Black Level: 40
Black Adjust: Low
Advanced Contrast Enhancer: Off
Hue: 0
Color temp: Neutral
Color Space:
Sharpness: 45
Reality Creation: Auto
Random and Digital Noise Reduction: Low
Motion Flow: True Cinema
Cine Motion: High

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk
brilithos likes this.
post #7893 of 14995 Old 01-08-2016, 08:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by phat0m View Post
I am using the game mode however it doesn't matter what mode I'm on. I'm trying to do the settings in the bold but it is always greyed out..
Try it on HDMI 1 input and see what happens it should let you set the pixel format in game picture mode .

I have my PC on HDMI 1 and Dish sat on HDMI 2 and Roku on HDMI 3 and PS 3 on HDMI 4 it all works well like that

Some devices are peculiar on certain HDMI inputs on my 1080P Sony Bravia the PC only worked on 1 of 2 HDMI inputs and on the new 55X850C the Dish STB wont work on HDMI 1 so I put the PC there and the Dish STB on HDMI 2 and it all works fine .

Last edited by Z1-B; 01-08-2016 at 08:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7894 of 14995 Old 01-08-2016, 10:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Try it on HDMI 1 input and see what happens it should let you set the pixel format in game picture mode .

I have my PC on HDMI 1 and Dish sat on HDMI 2 and Roku on HDMI 3 and PS 3 on HDMI 4 it all works well like that

Some devices are peculiar on certain HDMI inputs on my 1080P Sony Bravia the PC only worked on 1 of 2 HDMI inputs and on the new 55X850C the Dish STB wont work on HDMI 1 so I put the PC there and the Dish STB on HDMI 2 and it all works fine .
Switched to HDMI 1. On 1080p I was able to change the Auto Display Area off and have Display Area to Full Pixel but as soon as I set it to 4k, it automatically sets it to +1 and greys out the settings for me...
post #7895 of 14995 Old 01-09-2016, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kfan View Post
But there's something else about the Samsung that's sort of leaving me scratching my head. My understanding is that when it comes to upscaling 1080p blu-rays, either the TV upscales or the player does, but not both. In other words, they can't share data. Yet the Samsung clearly advertises that it will work with a 4k TV to give greater upscaling quality than the TV can alone. Is this just a bunch of fluff, or is there something I'm not understanding here? If anybody can give me any info on that, I'd appreciate it.
All that means is if the player upscales to 4k, then the display doesn't need to do any upscaling because it is already receiving a 4K input.

Because of advertisements, many people assume that a Sony display will have the best upscale ability, but it's possible that some component will have a better upscaler. Using a test pattern will likely be the only way to accurately determine which is better.

Disclaimer: I don't endorse any particular brand. Purchasing electronics is a compromise.
Brand selection may not be a main consideration.
post #7896 of 14995 Old 01-09-2016, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by C0der7 View Post
HDR Picture Style with the following modifications:

Brightness: Max
Color: 40
Gamma: -1
Black Level: 40
Black Adjust: Low
Advanced Contrast Enhancer: Off
Hue: 0
Color temp: Neutral
Color Space:
Sharpness: 45
Reality Creation: Auto
Random and Digital Noise Reduction: Low
Motion Flow: True Cinema
Cine Motion: High

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk
Can you remind us of your viewing environment when using this? Dark as a cave, moderate lighting, bias lighting, etc.?

FAQ'd in the HDR tab for other's viewing pleasure.

2015 Sony X850C FAQ: Recommended Picture settings, 3D FAQ, HDR FAQ, DirecTV 4K Ready FAQ, Troubleshooting & common problems; Dropbox Link || Alternate Google Drive FAQ Link. || My gear: TV - Sony XBR75X850C, BD - Sony BDP S350, AVR - Pioneer VSX-1020, Speakers - RBH MC-616C MKII Center Channel, RBH MC-6C MKII Bookshelf (fronts), RBH MC-615 In-ceiling surrounds, RBH TS-10AP 200W self-powered sub.
post #7897 of 14995 Old 01-09-2016, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeper View Post
Cinema (movie) mode on most if not all brands has always had a softer picture (etc.) than standard or custom.
The difference is in the service menu settings.

With exactly the same user picture settings, cinema (movie) mode shouldn't look the same as other picture modes.
That's actually huge to find out. It means that everyone calibrating using the Cinema Profile is starting out with a softened picture. IIRC only 2-3 calibrations in the FAQ use Custom.

I also noticed that the TV seems to indicated (and even has an auto setting to help change to it) that the Cinema mode is preferred for 24p/Film content.

In truth, it LOOKS like it is optimized for lower quality sources that may be interlaced. That's sort of the opposite of what you'd want that mode to do.

Increased softness, reduced contrast and reds, TrueCinema motion flow and Cinemation on High(?) are not what you would do for true 24p content. It seems more ideal for 480i NTSC content.

This then brings up if some of the other profiles have deep setting changes for what they do. Does sports handle fast fast motion better in some setting we can't touch? Does Game have lower latency?

I ended up going back to Rtings's settings which use Custom, but Brightness 20, Contrast Max, Reality Creation 20, MotionFlow 2(? or whatever the 2nd positions is numbered), and Cinemation Low.

I'd love to set the Adv Color Temp, but every profile in the FAQ is drastically different on those so I could randomly put in any number and be just as accurate. I settled for Live Color: Low since I like what it does and it would just mess up the Adv Color anyway.
Danabw likes this.
post #7898 of 14995 Old 01-09-2016, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Switched to HDMI 1. On 1080p I was able to change the Auto Display Area off and have Display Area to Full Pixel but as soon as I set it to 4k, it automatically sets it to +1 and greys out the settings for me...
That's what I wrote in an earlier post to this thread but got no replies. So I sent a question to the Sony support and they replied that this is the way it should be on 4k 2160p signals. And it also looks like everything is full pixel so I won't complain.
Danabw likes this.
post #7899 of 14995 Old 01-09-2016, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
That's actually huge to find out. It means that everyone calibrating using the Cinema Profile is starting out with a softened picture. IIRC only 2-3 calibrations in the FAQ use Custom.

I also noticed that the TV seems to indicated (and even has an auto setting to help change to it) that the Cinema mode is preferred for 24p/Film content.

In truth, it LOOKS like it is optimized for lower quality sources that may be interlaced. That's sort of the opposite of what you'd want that mode to do.

Increased softness, reduced contrast and reds, TrueCinema motion flow and Cinemation on High(?) are not what you would do for true 24p content. It seems more ideal for 480i NTSC content.

This then brings up if some of the other profiles have deep setting changes for what they do. Does sports handle fast fast motion better in some setting we can't touch? Does Game have lower latency?

I ended up going back to Rtings's settings which use Custom, but Brightness 20, Contrast Max, Reality Creation 20, MotionFlow 2(? or whatever the 2nd positions is numbered), and Cinemation Low.

I'd love to set the Adv Color Temp, but every profile in the FAQ is drastically different on those so I could randomly put in any number and be just as accurate. I settled for Live Color: Low since I like what it does and it would just mess up the Adv Color anyway.
It would be nice if Sony would release a summary of any underlying settings their Picture modes apply, but I wonder if they may feel like there is some IP there that they want to protect.

One point your post reminds me of that we all need to bear in mind is that all of our recommendations to each other are based on subjective judgments and preferences, with top of widely varying viewing conditions, viewing distances, age, eyesight issues, etc., so we do need to remember to take those recommendations w/a grain of salt.

2015 Sony X850C FAQ: Recommended Picture settings, 3D FAQ, HDR FAQ, DirecTV 4K Ready FAQ, Troubleshooting & common problems; Dropbox Link || Alternate Google Drive FAQ Link. || My gear: TV - Sony XBR75X850C, BD - Sony BDP S350, AVR - Pioneer VSX-1020, Speakers - RBH MC-616C MKII Center Channel, RBH MC-6C MKII Bookshelf (fronts), RBH MC-615 In-ceiling surrounds, RBH TS-10AP 200W self-powered sub.
post #7900 of 14995 Old 01-09-2016, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Just use the IGPU or dGPU scaler slider + 1 is only a little bigger than full pixel it, (+1) may be a 4K HDMI default on these TV's like Panzar says for a UHD BD player (or something like that ) or maybe make sure you are in Game picture mode on the TV and try advanced HDMI signal format or one of the other HDMI inputs .

I don't have any 4K HDMI sources here and my Roku is a 1080p model ofc so is the PS3 and Dish 1080i STB .

4K has to be from a TV run time app or my 3tb USB NTFS hdd *here ,this PC can only do 1080p or 1440p /HDMI and no display port this is a Win 10 desktop but no stonking 2160P /60 4:4:4 dGPU .

Sent from Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview Evaluation Copy . Build 11082

Last edited by Z1-B; 01-09-2016 at 12:07 PM.
post #7901 of 14995 Old 01-09-2016, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw View Post
It would be nice if Sony would release a summary of any underlying settings their Picture modes apply, but I wonder if they may feel like there is some IP there that they want to protect.

One point your post reminds me of that we all need to bear in mind is that all of our recommendations to each other are based on subjective judgments and preferences, with top of widely varying viewing conditions, viewing distances, age, eyesight issues, etc., so we do need to remember to take those recommendations w/a grain of salt.
Beeper said the difference is in the service menu settings. I'm assuming that means he's been behind the curtain.
If so it would be nice if he, or someone who has been to the service menu would post what they see.

I recall it was once said that a Sharpness of 50 was 'neutral' and added no sharpening of softening. But profile was that true for if there is a sharpness difference between profiles? Custom? Cinema Pro? Standard?
post #7902 of 14995 Old 01-09-2016, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Beeper said the difference is in the service menu settings. I'm assuming that means he's been behind the curtain.
If so it would be nice if he, or someone who has been to the service menu would post what they see.

I recall it was once said that a Sharpness of 50 was 'neutral' and added no sharpening of softening. But profile was that true for if there is a sharpness difference between profiles? Custom? Cinema Pro? Standard?
On my 55X850C using AVS HD709 calibration sharpness test patterns to test /set sharpness the right way the best result is 49-50 that is the same in all the picture modes & all 4 HDMI inputs I've set ,same thing with a 50 black level for 0-235 .016 reference black using the black pluge test AVS HD709 mp4 video

Results are same same from the PC at 4:2:0 video levels.

FWIW 4:2:0 covers HDTV, STD def TV OTA and ofc TV STB, DVD and BD

Above results are same into the TV playing the files direct from my USB hdd or a flash drive .

IOW 50 and 50 is all good on the X850C's .

Beepers is probably talking about advanced CMS [picture mode] defaults that aren't avail to us even in the serv. menu and the other advanced picture settings for RGB gain ,gamma offset ,10 pt adj. etc that we can adjust in the modes that allow it .

AFAIK X850C's don't have advanced adjustable CMS modes although I've never entered the service menu and the pro reviewers never do (or need to ) either when they calibrate them .

IMO best thing to do in all the picture modes is [turn off the auto light sensor ] ,set black level and sharpness at 50 and max out the back light (brightness) and contrast and go from there .

I get the best overall results in Standard picture mode and occasionally Vivid on the usual bit starved CATV /SAT signals and Game on the PC and warm or expert 1 color temp.

OTOH purists often prefer either or both of the Cinema modes or Custom mode YMMV and neither the above,Custom or Cinema modes are wrong (preference wise ) maybe just not (as ) accurate on film/Movies ,or overall . outside of the Cinema modes or a real bt709 measured calibration like a pro or expert enthusiast would start at in the Cinema and or Custom modes .

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-di...libration.html
Danabw likes this.

Last edited by Z1-B; 01-09-2016 at 01:36 PM.
post #7903 of 14995 Old 01-09-2016, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansar View Post
That's what I wrote in an earlier post to this thread but got no replies. So I sent a question to the Sony support and they replied that this is the way it should be on 4k 2160p signals. And it also looks like everything is full pixel so I won't complain.
We had the info in the FAQ in the overscan entry on not being able to set the option for 2160p input, but it wasn't well highlighted - I've update and am updating the FAQ to make that very clear now. Thanks for your feedback on this...you've been FAQ'd.

Quote:
Just use the IGPU or dGPU scaler slider + 1 is only a little bigger than full pixel it, (+1) may be a 4K HDMI default on these TV's like Panzar says for a UHD BD player (or something like that ) or maybe make sure you are in Game picture mode on the TV and try advanced HDMI signal format or one of the other HDMI inputs .
Thanks for noting this option.

Quote:

I'm thinking, if it's like the devices my company makes, some parameters are in the service menu and therefor somewhat user-visible and user-adjustable (for the brave and for those who get the steps to get into the menus) and some parameters are in the FW/code and managed in a way users can never see/change them.

Quote:
On my 55X850C using AVS HD709 calibration sharpness test patterns to test /set sharpness the right way the best result is 49-50 that is the same in all the picture modes & all 4 HDMI inputs I've set ,same thing with a 50 black level for 0-235 .016 reference black using the black pluge test AVS HD709 mp4 video

Results are same same from the PC at 4:2:0 video levels @1080p /HDMI .into the TV or playing the files direct from my USB hdd or a flash drive .

IOW 50 and 50 is good .

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-di...libration.html
Thanks! So you are not seeing softening w/the test patterns between picture modes using the same sharpness settings.

post #7904 of 14995 Old 01-09-2016, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
On my 55X850C using AVS HD709 calibration sharpness test patterns to test /set sharpness the right way the best result is 49-50 that is the same in all the picture modes...
I'm sorry, I just don't see how that's possible. I don't need a pattern to see the blurriness created by Cinema Pro mode.

Have you tested UHD, HD and/or SD patterns? Did really make sure the profiles were using the same settings when you made the comparison?

Quote:
We had the info in the FAQ in the overscan entry on not being able to set the option for 2160p input, but it wasn't well highlighted - I've update and am updating the FAQ to make that very clear now. Thanks for your feedback on this...you've been FAQ'd.
Which makes a lot of sense. You wouldn't want overscan of 4k content on a 4k TV like you wouldn't want overscan of 1080p content on a 1080p TV. Since everything not 2160p is upscaled, you really need to be able to adjust how it displays. A lower rez source may have black borders or edge noise.
post #7905 of 14995 Old 01-09-2016, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I believe many of us are going to eventually buy a 4k Blu-ray player for our 850c, and I'm sure there will be a question as to what kind of HDMI cable will be needed for getting proper video/audio quality. Will a 2.0 cable be sufficient, or will something of a higher grade be required?

My understanding is that a 2.0 cable will allow for a full 4k picture at 60 fps, which would seem to be everything that's needed. And it doesn't need to be a zillion-dollar Monster cable either; a regular old inexpensive 2.0 cable should do the job. But is that taking into account the maximum quality that the forthcoming 4k discs are capable of displaying?

Many of the new 4k movies and documentaries are going to have HDR and 10-bit color. Will a 2.0 cable be capable of delivering all that data? And what about Dolby Altmos? I thought I'd read that 2.0a will be necessary for 4k Blu-ray, but I've also read that the "a" part is a firmware upgrade, and not something you can buy.

Informed opinions on all of this can really help members here make the best buying decision. Thanks for all input.
post #7906 of 14995 Old 01-09-2016, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I know I should probably send PMs on this, but I'm feeling a little lazy, so bear with me.

It would make the user picture settings shared in the FAQ more useful if we can provide more context so that owners can match up their viewing environment and content when deciding which owners' settings might the best to try in their viewing environment.

I'd like to ask each person w/settings in the FAQ to provide a brief summary of their primary content source(s), content types, viewing environment (lighting, distance, any significant off-angle up/down or side-to-side, etc.), and if your settings came from a pro calibrator you hired, by yourself w/"pro" tools, using AVS forum calibration info or other tools, or were "what looks good to me" etc. (Or maybe it's a combination of more than one of those, of course).

Some of you have already provided detailed info from your post like this that I've included in the FAQ, but the info provided varies a lot.

As an example, I've added this to my settings info:

~14' to 15' from TV. Varied lighting conditions in large family room w/east and south facing windows, from very bright during the day to bias lighting only in the evening. Content is almost exclusively streamed movies/TV shows from TV apps and Roku, with the infrequent DVD, ripped DVD content from NAS, and even rarer BD. Only sport I watch a lot of is tennis, with some playoff BB, football, and World Cup matches thrown in.

Current owners w/picture settings in the FAQ.

@cvermeylen
@andy sullivan
@sirius_rich
@virtualrain
@ktownhero
@Patrick Zapatka
@Korat
@Mclingo McKeown
@TweakerInWA (And need your TV size as well.)
@Recall

And of course, if you have any updates to your settings and can share those, that would be great as well. Appreciate your help w/this, thanks very much.

Oh - and if anyone not currently in the FAQ would like to start sharing their settings for inclusion in the FAQ, that's great as well.

Last edited by Danabw; 01-09-2016 at 01:34 PM.
post #7907 of 14995 Old 01-09-2016, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 27
How would I determine which of the many calibration settings would I try first when I do finally get my 75" model?

Sony XBR-75X850C - Living Room
Samsung UN60J6300AFXZA - Bedroom
post #7908 of 14995 Old 01-09-2016, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeper View Post
All that means is if the player upscales to 4k, then the display doesn't need to do any upscaling because it is already receiving a 4K input.

Because of advertisements, many people assume that a Sony display will have the best upscale ability, but it's possible that some component will have a better upscaler. Using a test pattern will likely be the only way to accurately determine which is better.
FWIW every reviewer I've read says the Sony X1 upcale is the best one period outside of maybe a professional or pro summer video processor that may cost more than most of the TV's anyway.

OTOH they say the better SUHD Samsung TV's are a very close second and you can bet up scaling DVD players and the 4K STB and extenders are using possibly inferior Media Tek (or other ) SoC parts like you would find in a cheap discount brand 4K TV and not the best proprietary upscalers and algorithms Sony or Samsung have to offer. Presumably the same could be said for the better Panasonic and LG sets as well but maybe not the Vestal made low end Panasonic's.

Last edited by Z1-B; 01-09-2016 at 01:57 PM.
post #7909 of 14995 Old 01-09-2016, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgathright View Post
How would I determine which of the many calibration settings would I try first when I do finally get my 75" model?
LOL...I'll assume this is just a funny timing issue and you aren't joking. (Though I expect others will think I paid you to make your post.)

See my post above yours - we're working on that.

For now - check out the available descriptions of viewing environment and content types, and see if you can find one that is most similar, and look at how they calibrated (pro/pro tools or eye'd it) as well to make a decision. This is all very subjective - your best picture settings may not float anyone else's boat and vice-versa.

Since you have a 75" might be best to stick w/settings from other 65" and 75" owners, since they use the same panel (VA).
Z1-B likes this.

post #7910 of 14995 Old 01-09-2016, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
LOL...I'll assume this is just a funny timing issue and you aren't joking. (Though I expect others will think I paid you to make your post.)

See my post above yours - we're working on that.

For now - check out the available descriptions of viewing environment and content types, and see if you can find one that is most similar, and look at how they calibrated (pro/pro tools or eye'd it) as well to make a decision. This is all very subjective - your best picture settings may not float anyone else's boat and vice-versa.

Since you have a 75" might be best to stick w/settings from other 65" and 75" owners, since they use the same panel (VA).
I saw that and figured you was a faster typist than I am.
Danabw and Z1-B like this.

Sony XBR-75X850C - Living Room
Samsung UN60J6300AFXZA - Bedroom
post #7911 of 14995 Old 01-09-2016, 01:59 PM

Anyone else having problems with audio video sync (the so called lip sync issues)?
I had it right from the start when I got my tv, but after installing the latest update for europen models (v3.169) it seemed like it was solved. Until today, when it came back again with full force. And not only from kodi through my PC connected with my AVR, but also with Netflix, HBO Go and youtube that's installed on the TV. It was the same even when I shut down my receiver and used the TV speaker sound so it's definitely some issue when the TV is processing the video.

I tried to change different settings for audio, like changing digital audio output signal from auto 2 to auto 1 and other settings, but nothing worked. I checked my other settings and then noticed that I had put light sensor to "on" before so I put that back, and suddenly everything went back to normal. Lip sync was corrected in all apps and even the sound from my playback from my PC/KODI setup.

This TV behaves pretty strangely I must say.
post #7912 of 14995 Old 01-09-2016, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansar View Post
Anyone else having problems with audio video sync (the so called lip sync issues)?
I had it right from the start when I got my tv, but after installing the latest update for europen models (v3.169) it seemed like it was solved. Until today, when it came back again with full force. And not only from kodi through my PC connected with my AVR, but also with Netflix, HBO Go and youtube that's installed on the TV. It was the same even when I shut down my receiver and used the TV speaker sound so it's definitely some issue when the TV is processing the video.

I tried to change different settings for audio, like changing digital audio output signal from auto 2 to auto 1 and other settings, but nothing worked. I checked my other settings and then noticed that I had put light sensor to "on" before so I put that back, and suddenly everything went back to normal. Lip sync was corrected in all apps and even the sound from my playback from my PC/KODI setup.

This TV behaves pretty strangely I must say.
I have the light sensor on in my default picture mode I use on all my inputs/apps, and don't have any lip sync issues, so that's interesting.

However, you evidently have a Euro set, so different FW and even some HW differences (USB recording) so maybe this is an issue specific to those sets?
Pansar likes this.

post #7913 of 14995 Old 01-09-2016, 02:09 PM
Lionheart of AVS

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1799 Post(s)
Liked: 4372
Quote:
I believe many of us are going to eventually buy a 4k Blu-ray player for our 850c, and I'm sure there will be a question as to what kind of HDMI cable will be needed for getting proper video/audio quality. Will a 2.0 cable be sufficient, or will something of a higher grade be required?

My understanding is that a 2.0 cable will allow for a full 4k picture at 60 fps, which would seem to be everything that's needed. And it doesn't need to be a zillion-dollar Monster cable either; a regular old inexpensive 2.0 cable should do the job. But is that taking into account the maximum quality that the forthcoming 4k discs are capable of displaying?

Many of the new 4k movies and documentaries are going to have HDR and 10-bit color. Will a 2.0 cable be capable of delivering all that data? And what about Dolby Altmos? I thought I'd read that 2.0a will be necessary for 4k Blu-ray, but I've also read that the "a" part is a firmware upgrade, and not something you can buy.

Informed opinions on all of this can really help members here make the best buying decision. Thanks for all input.

HDMI 2.0/2.0a is a connection spec not a cable spec.

As long as your HDMI cable is a "High Speed" (Category 2) cable, it should work fine.

From HDMI.org: "The High Speed HDMI cable is designed and tested to handle video resolutions of 1080p and beyond, including advanced display technologies such as 4K, 3D, and Deep Color." "HDMI 2.0 features will work with existing HDMI cables. Higher bandwidth features, such as [email protected]/60 (2160p) video formats, will require existing High Speed HDMI cables (Category 2 cables)"

Richard
Danabw, DoctorM and C0der7 like this.
post #7914 of 14995 Old 01-09-2016, 02:20 PM

Quote:
I have the light sensor on in my default picture mode I use on all my inputs/apps, and don't have any lip sync issues, so that's interesting.

However, you evidently have a Euro set, so different FW and even some HW differences (USB recording) so maybe this is an issue specific to those sets?
Yes, it might be. The audio is actually playing before the video.
post #7915 of 14995 Old 01-09-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry, I just don't see how that's possible. I don't need a pattern to see the blurriness created by Cinema Pro mode.

Be that as it may if you want to set it correctly or at the best result in any picture mode /source/input you should use a pattern or just set it at 50 but if you don't want to put in the effort and learning curve required to get the best results out of these XBR's hire a calibrator or just go buy a Vizio or a cheap Westy or TCL and put in vivid mode and call it a day

TBH these sets are a piece of cake to set up compared to a lot of them .

You have the TV wide mode at [ wide mode full ] in Cinema/Cinema Pro and no Zoom on your sources ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM
Have you tested UHD, HD and/or SD patterns? Did really make sure the profiles were using the same settings when you made the comparison?
No just AVS HD 709 patterns that's all you need the Sony up scales them fine for what they have to do and you can push them out of a 1080P PC for an even upscale or use the 1080p BD downloads ,burn a BD and play it into the TV or play the file with VLC either way .

I'm presuming the AVS HD 709 media is already 1080p or 720p and1080P on the BD file but it doesn't mater anyway for what they have to do and the Overccan test and many others are correctly 16:9 anyway .

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM
Which makes a lot of sense. You wouldn't want overscan of 4k content on a 4k TV like you wouldn't want overscan of 1080p content on a 1080p TV. Since everything not 2160p is upscaled, you really need to be able to adjust how it displays. A lower rez source may have black borders or edge noise.
You don't want pixel over-scan on any content it effectively cut's your pixel resolution in half and that doesn't have anything to do with the native aspect ratio outside of the panels i.e black borders as long as you aren't changing that .

changing the aspect ratio manipulates pixels and distorts the image and or crops the picture too much and also lowers your resolution

IMO best thing is usually 1:1 pixel when you can set it (and if it scales to the edge of the screen ) and native aspect ratio .

Last edited by Z1-B; 01-09-2016 at 03:18 PM.
post #7916 of 14995 Old 01-09-2016, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civuck View Post
Anyone want to take the time copying the exact setting values to all picture modes for a given input , evaluating the differences and reporting back here?

Didn't think so...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Replying to myself here...

So I took some time and copied the exact same values for all the image settings to four different 850C picture modes on the HDMI-1 input (Nvidia Shield source):

Standard
Custom
Cinema Pro
Cinema Home

My preliminary findings so far are that Standard and Custom are brighter but also blow out the highlights; Cinema Pro and Cinema Home retained more detail in the bright areas.

Still comparing, but I am curious of others' observations using this test...
Danabw, virtualrain and C0der7 like this.
post #7917 of 14995 Old 01-09-2016, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Be that as it may if you want to set it correctly or at the best result in any picture mode /source/input you should use a pattern or just set it at 50 but if you don't want to put in the effort and learning curve required to get the best results out of these XBR's hire a calibrator or just go buy a Vizio or a cheap Westy or TCL and put in vivid mode and call it a day

TBH these sets are a piece of cake to set up compared to a lot of them .

You have the TV wide mode at [ wide mode full ] in Cinema/Cinema Pro and no Zoom on your sources ?

No just AVS HD 709 patterns that's all you need the Sony up scales them fine for what they have to do and you can push them out of a 1080P PC for an even upscale or use the 1080p BD downloads ,burn a BD and play it into the TV or play the file with VLC either way .

I'm presuming the AVS HD 709 media is already 1080p or 720p and1080P on the BD file but it doesn't mater anyway for what they have to do and the Overccan test and many others are correctly 16:9 anyway .

You don't want pixel over-scan on any content it effectively cut's your pixel resolution in half and that doesn't have anything to do with the native aspect ratio outside of the panels i.e black borders as long as you aren't changing that .

changing the aspect ratio manipulates pixels and distorts the image and or crops the picture too much and also lowers your resolution

IMO best thing is usually 1:1 pixel when you can set it (and if it scales to the edge of the screen ) and native aspect ratio .
Maybe it's the input you're using, maybe you have poor eyesight, but you are condescending. Other people are seeing differences that suggest settings that can't be touched effecting the different picture modes.

As far as overscan, you are misunderstanding that conversation.

EVERYTHING not 4k is getting upscaled and cannot be 1:1. This may introduce artifacts on the edges of your screen and/or your source may have thin borders that were expected to be cropped by overscan.

If you are upscaling 720x480 to 3840x2160 or 712x476 to 3840x2160 makes little difference in the amount of distortion it'll cause, but moving noise at the edges of your screen can be distracting.

The point of the statement was, on low rez sources you may desire using overscan to crop out noise (since there is ALREADY upscaling going on and a bit more won't matter). Whereas 2160p content should NOT be overscanned, and SURPRISE the TV does not let you.

The original question was: "Why can't 4k content be set to full pixel."
Answer: "Because it's never NOT full pixel."
post #7918 of 14995 Old 01-09-2016, 03:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 565
Quote:
What King Richard said.
Although if he truly is King Richard, his avatar would be a lion instead of a tiger.

I've always had good luck with Monoprice HDMI cables and BlueJeans anything.
The MonoPrice Redmere are very nice but be aware that they are directional.
Anything under 16ft is not critical just buy a cable from one of the above and you'll be good.

FWIW, none of the announced UHD BD releases do anything for me.
The films I would like to see aren't mastered in 4k and the few that are suck.

Last edited by Milt99; 01-09-2016 at 04:02 PM.
post #7919 of 14995 Old 01-09-2016, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 845 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
I know I should probably send PMs on this, but I'm feeling a little lazy, so bear with me.

It would make the user picture settings shared in the FAQ more useful if we can provide more context so that owners can match up their viewing environment and content when deciding which owners' settings might the best to try in their viewing environment.

I'd like to ask each person w/settings in the FAQ to provide a brief summary of their primary content source(s), content types, viewing environment (lighting, distance, any significant off-angle up/down or side-to-side, etc.), and if your settings came from a pro calibrator you hired, by yourself w/"pro" tools, using AVS forum calibration info or other tools, or were "what looks good to me" etc. (Or maybe it's a combination of more than one of those, of course).

Some of you have already provided detailed info from your post like this that I've included in the FAQ, but the info provided varies a lot.

As an example, I've added this to my settings info:

~14' to 15' from TV. Varied lighting conditions in large family room w/east and south facing windows, from very bright during the day to bias lighting only in the evening. Content is almost exclusively streamed movies/TV shows from TV apps and Roku, with the infrequent DVD, ripped DVD content from NAS, and even rarer BD. Only sport I watch a lot of is tennis, with some playoff BB, football, and World Cup matches thrown in.

Current owners w/picture settings in the FAQ.

@cvermeylen
@andy sullivan
@sirius_rich
@virtualrain
@ktownhero
@Patrick Zapatka
@Korat
@Mclingo McKeown
@TweakerInWA (And need your TV size as well.)
@Recall

And of course, if you have any updates to your settings and can share those, that would be great as well. Appreciate your help w/this, thanks very much.

Oh - and if anyone not currently in the FAQ would like to start sharing their settings for inclusion in the FAQ, that's great as well.

I added a short section at the top of my settings essay on my room and viewing environment.
Danabw likes this.

SONY 75X850C | YAMAHA RX-A2050 | 5 DAYTON AUDIO APA150 | KLIPSCH RP 5.2.4
post #7920 of 14995 Old 01-09-2016, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 845 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civuck View Post
Replying to myself here...

So I took some time and copied the exact same values for all the image settings to four different 850C picture modes on the HDMI-1 input (Nvidia Shield source):

Standard
Custom
Cinema Pro
Cinema Home

My preliminary findings so far are that Standard and Custom are brighter but also blow out the highlights; Cinema Pro and Cinema Home retained more detail in the bright areas.

Still comparing, but I am curious of others' observations using this test...

What is Contrast set to?

SONY 75X850C | YAMAHA RX-A2050 | 5 DAYTON AUDIO APA150 | KLIPSCH RP 5.2.4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
4k suhd , android , firmware , hdr , ir blaster , reboot , XBR-55X850C , xbr-65x850c xbr-75x850c

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page