Sony 2015 XBR-55X850C / XBR-65X850C / XBR-75X850C owners club - Page 266 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11969Likes

post #7951 of 14904 Old 01-10-2016, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw View Post
Anyone tried these Samsung 3D glasses w/the X850C?

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Rechar...active+glasses

Model SSG3300GR.

$39 for two, rechargeable, 4.5 stars on ~100 reviews, look like they good be a good deal.
Aren't these glasses made prior to the standardizing of glasses in 2012? Full 3D HD RF's offer better compatibility from my understanding on the matter. Plus for the price of 2 newer SSG-5150GB @19.99 minus the recharging. I prefer removable batteries which are cheap, instead of buying new pairs of glasses when the life cycle on the glasses goes.

Someone pointed me to these glasses from ultimate 3D heaven. They seem fairly priced and of solid constructions. website looks rather dated, but they keep the products up to date at least.

http://www.ultimate3dheaven.com/index.html

There are also these folks

http://www.dimensionaloptics.com/default.aspx

I just have this personal tendency to want to stay with the bigger brands on this for some reason (i.e. Panasonic, SONY, and Samsung)

XBR55-X850C, Denon AVR-X3400H, Klipsch's Ref. RB600, RC500, RM14, SW-110, PS4 Pro & VR, Xbox One S, HTPC - 3D Glasses Samsung SSG-5150GB

Last edited by MeasuredPath; 01-10-2016 at 12:45 PM. Reason: added a link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7952 of 14904 Old 01-10-2016, 01:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickff View Post
Looking for some guidance regarding the use of the ARC...

I have never had a use for the ARC feature before, but if I want to use the apps on my 55-850c apparently I need to use the ARC feature to utilize my tower speakers. I fiddled with it today and I am little confused how it is all supposed to work with my Denon 2112.

I used the HDMI 4 input (marked ARC). I then set the 'HDMI Control' option to "ON" in my Denon 2112 as per the manual. However, in doing so any time I turned the volume up/down both the AVR's and TV's volume was adjusted (not what I want to happen).

I guess what I am looking for is a basic wiring setup and explanation as to how ARC would work when everything is run into an AVR and video is run to this TV via one HDMI cable.
Are your speakers actually on? And volume adjusting at the same time?
What happens on mine and a few others I have read is that you will see the volume bar of the tv and the amp at the same time as the tv takes control of the amp volume .but only the volume out of the amp.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
post #7953 of 14904 Old 01-10-2016, 01:38 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 9381 Post(s)
Liked: 6073
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kfan View Post
Ouch!!! I just got slapped. And by myself, no less.

I had pre-ordered Samsung's new 4k blu-ray player, along with 3 4k movies from Best Buy, and when I finally took into account the order total with tax, more than $503, I could only imagine that someone had slipped drugs into my soda pop. I had to slap myself back into reality. There was no way I should have spent that much for a little better video quality, all the more so with a first-gen player and three so-so movies.

Far more sensible is to wait until the end of fiscal 2016 or spring 2017 to buy a Sony 4k player for $300, and have a much wider selection of 4k blu-rays. Waiting until prices were sensible was, after all, the reason I waited for years to buy the 850c for its great price and features. Most of the problems have been ironed out, or are at least tolerable, and I have a 4k TV that shows a great picture. Had I bought a Sony 4k TV when the format was first released I would have spent more than twice as much for half the quality.

The key is patience. I almost forgot that. And I'm grateful to others here who have tried to show me the light of reason.
??? Buy the Samsung now. Enjoy it along with the UHD titles for 6 to 12 months. Then when the SOny UHD BD player comes out, purchase it and sell the Samsung. Life is too short to skimp just to save $100. You have the 4K set. No 4K content will be better than what is on Disc. You might as well use the TV what it was designed for, playing 4K content, and enjoy it.

This is my plan. I will get the Samsung. Enjoy it for a long while. And then when the Sony or other UHD BD players come on the market I will pick up one of them and sell the Samsung player
Bullwyf and Z1-B like this.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7954 of 14904 Old 01-10-2016, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeasuredPath View Post
I have yet to go through all the pages in this owners thread as I like to read each page. Can anyone correct me in something? It is my understanding that HDMI 2.0 "High Speed" Category 2 and the appropriate cable can properly support [email protected] I've been wanting to pickup redmere cables for the 18gbps bandwidth, but my MP select series cables are able to support everything that the redmere does in real life tests. Unless of course I am not doing it correct in my methods. I've included the a screen shot of my PC that is using a Gigabyte G1 OC GTX970.

This is what the MP select series specs are. I feel like I am getting higher than what is advertised making me believe I have no need to buy new cables, just yet anyways. I do know that it is also the source (connection point) that is the difference. I've read several debates regarding this on the web and admittedly I am not sure anymore.

Thanks Danabw! I have managed to read through all that info in the excel sheet. You are correct, I am running the lastest FW and I have tried/completed all you mentioned prior to posting. I should have mentioned as such as I do read FAQ's The good news is the TV hasn't acted up since.
Your cables should be fine. See the FAQ for more info.

Quote:

I have never had a use for the ARC feature before, but if I want to use the apps on my 55-850c apparently I need to use the ARC feature to utilize my tower speakers. I fiddled with it today and I am little confused how it is all supposed to work with my Denon 2112.

I used the HDMI 4 input (marked ARC). I then set the 'HDMI Control' option to "ON" in my Denon 2112 as per the manual. However, in doing so any time I turned the volume up/down both the AVR's and TV's volume was adjusted (not what I want to happen).

I guess what I am looking for is a basic wiring setup and explanation as to how ARC would work when everything is run into an AVR and video is run to this TV via one HDMI cable.
Double volume controls with ARC is "normal" and doesn't have any affect on sound, just visual. Covered in the FAQ...please take a look at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeasuredPath View Post
Aren't these glasses made prior to the standardizing of glasses in 2012? Full 3D HD RF's offer better compatibility from my understanding on the matter. Plus for the price of 2 newer SSG-5150GB @19.99 minus the recharging. I prefer removable batteries which are cheap, instead of buying new pairs of glasses when the life cycle on the glasses goes.

Someone pointed me to these glasses from ultimate 3D heaven. They seem fairly priced and of solid constructions. website looks rather dated, but they keep the products up to date at least.

http://www.ultimate3dheaven.com/index.html

There are also these folks

http://www.dimensionaloptics.com/default.aspx

I just have this personal tendency to want to stay with the bigger brands on this for some reason (i.e. Panasonic, SONY, and Samsung)
Don't know, user noted they worked well with his Sony, was wondering if anyone here had tried them, to update the FAQ.

I don't buy batteries any more if I can help it, go rechargeable and then always recycle at end of life.

Did you try the glasses you referred to with your X850C?

Thanks!

X850C FAQ links for mobile users: Dropbox: 2015 Sony X850C FAQ - Recommended Picture settings, 3D FAQ, HDR FAQ, DirecTV 4K Ready FAQ, troubleshooting & common problems. || Google Docs X850C FAQ Link

2015 Sony X850C FAQ: Recommended Picture settings, 3D FAQ, HDR FAQ, DirecTV 4K Ready FAQ, Troubleshooting & common problems; Dropbox Link || Alternate Google Drive FAQ Link. || My gear: TV - Sony XBR75X850C, BD - Sony BDP S350, AVR - Pioneer VSX-1020, Speakers - RBH MC-616C MKII Center Channel, RBH MC-6C MKII Bookshelf (fronts), RBH MC-615 In-ceiling surrounds, RBH TS-10AP 200W self-powered sub.

Last edited by Danabw; 01-10-2016 at 02:54 PM.
post #7955 of 14904 Old 01-10-2016, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just to give a heads up (and maybe some hope), but I just received my new 75" 850c from BB yesterday and the panel looks fantastic.

I still need to play with some of the settings, but it updated and the first thing I checked for was banding. None whatsoever on this panel. Dec 2015 made in Mexico. This tv was fresh off the truck at bestbuy.

There is some graininess when viewing bluray content, but like I said I haven't played with any of the settings.

I'll report back if any anomalies show up.
post #7956 of 14904 Old 01-10-2016, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Of course my cables are fine as I showed a screenshot running [email protected] with 1.4b spec'd cables. Which was limited to [email protected] and 2.0 cables are rated to run higher. Yet, again I am able to run [email protected]! I've read the FAQ and other areas, but nobody has any additional information. I get it is the connection and not the connector, just don't see the point in having higher rated cables if 1.4 spec'd ones do the job.

I have yet to try either examples I shared. Currently using the Samsung SSG-5150GA's as noted earlier and they work great. I recycle my batteries regardless, this is a personal preference to have non rechargeable of course.
Danabw and Z1-B like this.

XBR55-X850C, Denon AVR-X3400H, Klipsch's Ref. RB600, RC500, RM14, SW-110, PS4 Pro & VR, Xbox One S, HTPC - 3D Glasses Samsung SSG-5150GB
post #7957 of 14904 Old 01-10-2016, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Cinemotion

I am watching the Packer game, of course. However, after the 1st quarter I switched cinemotion from high to low. I am in Custom mode, motion flow is off, reality creation, random noise red and digital noise red are also off.

I am observing very little difference, or any difference, with cinemotion low/high on a football broadcast. Should I?

Sony XBR-55X850C
Onkyo TX-SR444
PS4
Polk Audio 5.1.2

Packer fan living in Michigan.
post #7958 of 14904 Old 01-10-2016, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked: 619
Quote:

are you sure there's sound coming from the tv AND the receiver? more likely what you're seeing is common: your receiver's on screen volume display is shown AND the tv's volume numbers are shown. Nothing you can do about it, and it really is just an annoyance that you should ignore.

IF you're not getting audio out of the receiver, then you need to check your audio settings on the tv and ensure the audio output is set to receiver/HDMI.

You may need to completely power off both the tv and receiver at this point if you are still having issues. Completely unplug them, wait 30 seconds, then plug back in. sometimes there's weirdness with HDMI.

make sure the audio mode on the tv is set to Auto 2 so that you will get DTS and DD surround sound.
Danabw and brilithos like this.

Sony xbr65x850c Side Blooming test clips:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...br65x850c.xlsx
post #7959 of 14904 Old 01-10-2016, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbalone View Post
Still learning about this TV. Great so far. Got the Sony S6500 BluRay Player yesterday. A couple of questions. 1) do I need to turn on the 4K Enhance setting on TV? Says my TV needs to restart to do it? and 2) I thought since both products are Sony that they would be a part of Bravia sync or whatever and BluRay player could be controlled by same remote but that does not seem to be the case. I have the BluRay on HDMI2 MHL.

Thanks for the help. A lot of great info in this thread.
1080p Blue Ray is ordinary 8 bit bt709 4:2:0 stuff it will work on any HDMI just at a higher bit rate than DVD and HDTV . Normal /standard HDMI input format mode should cover it even if you are having the player upscale to 4K 4:2:0.

I play BD's out of a PS3 fine that way (everything at normal/standard ) and the TV will take care of any up scaling if you have the player passing 1080p to the TV which I would highly recommend if you can ,i.e. the TV likely up scales much better .One of the best BD players around is a PS3 btw if you have one get ur money back on the S6500. or anything outside of an Oppo

Sent from Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview Evaluation Copy . Build 11082

Last edited by Z1-B; 01-10-2016 at 07:40 PM.
post #7960 of 14904 Old 01-10-2016, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brilithos View Post
I am watching the Packer game, of course. However, after the 1st quarter I switched cinemotion from high to low. I am in Custom mode, motion flow is off, reality creation, random noise red and digital noise red are also off.

I am observing very little difference, or any difference, with cinemotion low/high on a football broadcast. Should I?
Cine Motion is for 24p content not 720p /60 or 1080i/30 /1080p/30/60 and otherwise lies dormant when it's on outside of 24p film based or digital content from an extender ,DVD/BD player or embedded app that supports 24p and passes it to the TV .

brilithos and C0der7 like this.

Last edited by Z1-B; 01-10-2016 at 08:01 PM.
post #7961 of 14904 Old 01-10-2016, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointothearro View Post
Just to give a heads up (and maybe some hope), but I just received my new 75" 850c from BB yesterday and the panel looks fantastic.

I still need to play with some of the settings, but it updated and the first thing I checked for was banding. None whatsoever on this panel. Dec 2015 made in Mexico. This tv was fresh off the truck at bestbuy.

There is some graininess when viewing bluray content, but like I said I haven't played with any of the settings.

My 55X850C edge lit panel (Dec. build Mexico ofc.) is like that aside from some insignificant edge light bleed U can't see on anything U would watch anyway including black screen movie
credits and outer space blackness .

FWIW You don't need 3:2 pull down on the 120Hz panel for 24p either so it ain't in the menus

brilithos likes this.

Last edited by Z1-B; 01-10-2016 at 08:00 PM.
post #7962 of 14904 Old 01-10-2016, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thyname View Post
Picked these up on Amazon for about $17 and they work great
Cool I might get some of that ....I haven't done 3D on my 55X850C yet
C0der7 likes this.
post #7963 of 14904 Old 01-10-2016, 08:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw View Post
I know I should probably send PMs on this, but I'm feeling a little lazy, so bear with me.

It would make the user picture settings shared in the FAQ more useful if we can provide more context so that owners can match up their viewing environment and content when deciding which owners' settings might the best to try in their viewing environment.

I'd like to ask each person w/settings in the FAQ to provide a brief summary of their primary content source(s), content types, viewing environment (lighting, distance, any significant off-angle up/down or side-to-side, etc.), and if your settings came from a pro calibrator you hired, by yourself w/"pro" tools, using AVS forum calibration info or other tools, or were "what looks good to me" etc. (Or maybe it's a combination of more than one of those, of course).

Some of you have already provided detailed info from your post like this that I've included in the FAQ, but the info provided varies a lot.

As an example, I've added this to my settings info:

~14' to 15' from TV. Varied lighting conditions in large family room w/east and south facing windows, from very bright during the day to bias lighting only in the evening. Content is almost exclusively streamed movies/TV shows from TV apps and Roku, with the infrequent DVD, ripped DVD content from NAS, and even rarer BD. Only sport I watch a lot of is tennis, with some playoff BB, football, and World Cup matches thrown in.

Current owners w/picture settings in the FAQ.

@cvermeylen
@andy sullivan
@sirius_rich
@virtualrain
@ktownhero
@Patrick Zapatka
@Korat
@Mclingo McKeown
@TweakerInWA (And need your TV size as well.)
@Recall

And of course, if you have any updates to your settings and can share those, that would be great as well. Appreciate your help w/this, thanks very much.

Oh - and if anyone not currently in the FAQ would like to start sharing their settings for inclusion in the FAQ, that's great as well.
Just one reply so far (thanks, Virtualrain!).

Appreciate it if you guys can check your entry in the FAQ and update me w/environment and content info when you have a moment.

Some big updates to the "Read this First!" tab of the FAQ today - re-organized content and created sections (Picture, HDMI, Audio, Gaming, Misc., & Software/FW) to make it much easier to find and use related content. Time to re-download and refresh your copy. Hope y'all enjoy it, and thanks to everyone who has contributed their wisdom and experiences to make things easier for dummies like myself.
virtualrain, brilithos and Z1-B like this.

2015 Sony X850C FAQ: Recommended Picture settings, 3D FAQ, HDR FAQ, DirecTV 4K Ready FAQ, Troubleshooting & common problems; Dropbox Link || Alternate Google Drive FAQ Link. || My gear: TV - Sony XBR75X850C, BD - Sony BDP S350, AVR - Pioneer VSX-1020, Speakers - RBH MC-616C MKII Center Channel, RBH MC-6C MKII Bookshelf (fronts), RBH MC-615 In-ceiling surrounds, RBH TS-10AP 200W self-powered sub.

Last edited by Danabw; 01-10-2016 at 09:05 PM.
post #7964 of 14904 Old 01-10-2016, 09:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I had missed this before...found this tonight on their site while I was surfing around. From the LCD Buying Guide review of the 75"...interested in comments on this wisdom:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCD TV Buying Guide
Cinemotion – Keep it Low or Off to prevent Soap Opera Effect

The Cinemotion Picture Setting is located in the Picture Setting Adjustments menu, under Advanced Settings>Clarity. The setting combined with the Motionflow setting has an impact on whether your picture is over-clarified by eliminating too much natural background blur. This creates the dreaded “Soap Opera Effect”. It's easy to prevent on the X850C.

All you have to do to minimize SOE is keep the Motionflow Smoothness setting at level 3 and Clearness setting at level 2 and tune the Cinemotion setting to Off or Low. Cinemotion only provides frame compensation to remove judder at the top two settings (Medium and High). All of that said, The Soap Opera Effect is not nearly as pronounced and distracting in the X850C as with many TVs on the market such as the Samsung's.
Side note: As we know, DoctorM identified (and myself and others confirmed) that we get some horizontal banding from the Clearness setting on the 65"/75" VA sets, so recommend turning Clearness to lowest setting on those sets if you see horzontal banding.

So anyway, do the statements above about the Cinemotion setting ring true for our settings experts?

Last edited by Danabw; 01-10-2016 at 09:37 PM.
post #7965 of 14904 Old 01-10-2016, 09:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z1-B View Post
Cool I might get some of that ....I haven't done 3D on my 55X850C yet
Note that feedback on this model has been inconsistent:

"Samsung SSG-5150GB Conflicting information: Some said they worked, but [billdag] and [kaphka] and [Cchen326] had issues. From [billdag]: Hate to admit it but my SSG5150GB glasses are acting up just like yours. They work great on my Samsung but only half work on the Sony. They pair but don't sync properly. Typical proprietary Sony maybe?

[Cchen326] reported that two pairs of these glasses from eBay didn't work, two from Amazon do.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00INO6JX2 - currently only $19.99."

post #7966 of 14904 Old 01-10-2016, 09:56 PM

@Danabw and or anyone taking the time to read this ,

FWIW on my 55X850C I usually keep Motion @ [Off or Custom or True Cinema ]

Smoothness [0]or no more than[2]same as True Cinema default .
Note: it does not reduce Brightness (backlight) or Contrast at any setting like Clearness does above Min so 3 might be fine sometimes OTA or something defaults to that and it looks fine .

Clearness at [Min] or no more than [1] (usually Min.) it kills white level (contrast ) & brightness (backlight) even at [1] like motion flow /back light flashing did on 60Hz Sony Motion
Flow 120 Bravia's and murders it beyond [1]..............

Cine Motion [High] depite what [LCDTVbuyingguide.com review of 75X850C] says it's basically dormant outside of 24p content /signals anyway just like it is on all Sony's I've been down that road before .

No Soap Opera effect observed here IMO with my settings .

Danabw likes this.

Last edited by Z1-B; 01-10-2016 at 10:15 PM.
post #7967 of 14904 Old 01-10-2016, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

I just mounted my 75" 850C today as well, ordered directly from Sony.. It was also made in Mexico late 2015 and looks very good. None of the extreme banding that everyone's been posting pictures of. The only thing I did notice was a VERY slight darker spot in the very extreme corners (all 4) but I mean very slight.. I was looking for anything to complain about after reading this thread before I ordered mine but I'm very impressed overall. The blacks/contrast really kick ass compared to the 70" Sharp Quattron that I just replaced with it and the difference in color is unbelievable. Even my WIFE walked in and glanced at it for a few seconds after I updated the firmware and smirked. Electronics to her are a complete waste of money but that was her way of saying "I approve" haha. I guess only time will tell now.
Danabw and Bullwyf like this.
post #7968 of 14904 Old 01-10-2016, 10:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by brilithos View Post

Quote:
Cine Motion is for 24p content not 720p /60 or 1080i/30 /1080p/30/60 and otherwise lies dormant when it's on outside of 24p film based or digital content from an extender ,DVD/BD player or embedded app that supports 24p and passes it to the TV .

Actually this was discussed a few days ago. Cinemotion does effect other content types. It is hard to tell when watching sports but if you watch a regular show on cable the difference between high, low, and off is quite noticeable.
aaronwt likes this.
post #7969 of 14904 Old 01-10-2016, 10:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9V7W3 View Post
I just mounted my 75" 850C today as well, ordered directly from Sony.. It was also made in Mexico late 2015 and looks very good. None of the extreme banding that everyone's been posting pictures of. The only thing I did notice was a VERY slight darker spot in the very extreme corners (all 4) but I mean very slight.. I was looking for anything to complain about after reading this thread before I ordered mine but I'm very impressed overall. The blacks/contrast really kick ass compared to the 70" Sharp Quattron that I just replaced with it and the difference in color is unbelievable. Even my WIFE walked in and glanced at it for a few seconds after I updated the firmware and smirked. Electronics to her are a complete waste of money but that was her way of saying "I approve" haha. I guess only time will tell now.
I know that smirk! Wives must learn it while we're being taught how to raise our eyebrows when they bring home another purse they "needed."

X850C FAQ links for mobile users: Dropbox: 2015 Sony X850C FAQ - Recommended Picture settings, 3D FAQ, HDR FAQ, DirecTV 4K Ready FAQ, troubleshooting & common problems. || Google Docs X850C FAQ Link

post #7970 of 14904 Old 01-10-2016, 11:40 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Hey, it may be somewhere in this forum already but search didn't bring anything up and it's really a simple question. Can you assign a key on the remote to take you to "Game" picture settings when you're watching 3D or do you always have to go through all the cumbersome tasks of cycling through Picture modes in settings to get at it? It would be nice to "jump" to that or any setting you assigned to it. Thanks in advance if anyone has any answers on this one.

On another topic, I'm still not getting 5.1 on the Amazon app but that was the way it's been since I got the set back in October and I know everyone here's already discussed it...just no solutions that I've read so far so I just thought I'd ask once again. Vudu, Netflix, and others work but not Amazon and if I remember Disney Anywhere as well. If 2.0 is all you can get right now from Amazon and Disney on the 850c, why does it say 5.1 in the movie summary?

When is Sony going to get around to fixing the Amazon app. They're already introducing their 2016 sets and haven't fixed something so seemingly simple. I'm hoping one of you have already found a simple solution like putting it through a painful factory reset or something. I Already tried the Audio 1 and 2 settings in the Sound settings menu and both work fine for everything else, just not for Amazon and Disney.

Hope everyone is still loving and enjoying their 75x850c like I am. Only major gripe is STILL the 3D performance but I'm patient and am sure they'll get around to fixing it. Putting it in Game mode appears to have no effect on 3D performance on my set, though others here have had some success with Game mode. Anyway, still love my Sony but, probably like most of you, wonder if I should've waited for all the beautiful sets being released at CES 2016 and coming out later this year. Sony's new backlight technology looks interesting, doesn't it?

Cheers everyone!

Last edited by larry2456; 01-10-2016 at 11:44 PM.
post #7971 of 14904 Old 01-11-2016, 06:11 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9V7W3 View Post
I checked the corners, and yes I have the same darker corners. I measured and it's a about 1/16" x 1/16" and only really "dimmed" and not an actual black spot. Totally not a big deal to me and the corners are all black anyways in 2.35/1 aspect. I'm most impressed by the vibrance of the colors and the natural motion handling.

FWIW, my wife almost instantly approved of the set as well
Bullwyf likes this.
post #7972 of 14904 Old 01-11-2016, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Still learning about this TV. Great so far. Got the Sony S6500 BluRay Player yesterday. A couple of questions. 1) do I need to turn on the 4K Enhance setting on TV? Says my TV needs to restart to do it? and 2) I thought since both products are Sony that they would be a part of Bravia sync or whatever and BluRay player could be controlled by same remote but that does not seem to be the case. I have the BluRay on HDMI2 MHL.

Thanks for the help. A lot of great info in this thread.

You don't need to turn on Enhanced for the BD...please see the fist tab in the X850C FAQ in my Sig below for details on that setting, we've discussed it repeatedly here. Lots of excellent info for you there.

You need to turn on Bravia Sync on the TV and the BD player...on the TV:

Home>Settings>External Inputs>Bravia Sync settings.

Find the same settings on your BD and make sure it is enabled there as well...then the BD should turn on/off and volume and play controls on the Sony remote should control it. More details on the first tab of the FAQ...let us know if you've enabled everything on both devices and it's still not working.

Hey Danabw - thanks for your help and suggestions. Tried to get it to sink yesterday with no luck. I have tried HDMI2 and 4 but the TV never finds the BluRay Player. Both are definitely set to sync. You would think since they are both Sony that it would be easy. Not that big of a deal I guess. Otherwise it has been a great TV so far. Football yesterday looked great.
post #7973 of 14904 Old 01-11-2016, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
TROUBLESHOOTING QUERY (If I'm posting in the wrong place please let me know and apologies):

I just exchanged a buggy Vizio M for the 55" x850c. I absolutely love the picture quality. Calibration was fairly easy and when all was said and done, the picture was noticeably better than anything I could squeeze out of the Vizio (which was fine, overall, but returned for a screen failure within the first month). Black and gray uniformity are much better than I expected. I am very very pleased with the set.

One nagging problem, which might be nothing but I want to be sure. The TV emits a very, VERY faint popping or crackling sound, especially after the first few minutes of use and continuing for 30 to 45 minutes before subsiding. When the set is off, you can also hear it for a few minutes. It is not a regular repetitive pattern, but an inconsistent yet persistent noise. The way I've described the sound is like the first few drops of rain on a window before the deluge.

I should make clear that this is not an audio issue. It is noting coming through the internal or external speakers, and it is not associated with content playback. I noticed it initially when calibrating the picture settings, and upon closer inspection discovered that it was coming from the back of the set, inside the panel.

One thought since it seems to start up as the set warms up is that it is simply the plastic case expanding, although why would I hear it once the set had been shut off again? Another suggestion was that it may be slightly noisier than usual capacitors.

The sound is NOT an issue that is distracting during normal use. You can't hear it then at all. It's simply a matter of concern if this is a benign annoyance or perhaps the sign of an electrical failure down the road.

Anyone with a similar experience or suggestions? I'd rather than replace ANOTHER TV so quickly, as I love the picture quality and don't really have more time to set aside to sit around and wait for Best Buy to pick up and deliver a set which a) might have poorer uniformity and/or b) has the same fainting crackling.
post #7974 of 14904 Old 01-11-2016, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbalone View Post
Hey Danabw - thanks for your help and suggestions. Tried to get it to sink yesterday with no luck. I have tried HDMI2 and 4 but the TV never finds the BluRay Player. Both are definitely set to sync. You would think since they are both Sony that it would be easy. Not that big of a deal I guess. Otherwise it has been a great TV so far. Football yesterday looked great.
Did you try bp787's suggestion?

"You may need to completely power off both the tv and receiver [and BD player in this case] at this point if you are still having issues. Completely unplug them, wait 30 seconds, then plug back in. sometimes there's weirdness with HDMI."

Oh - and to clarify, are you saying you can't play any content from the BD to the TV even if you use the BD remote? Or just that the Bravia Sync control functions aren't working?

Did you face to the TV and bow three times and pray to the Bravia Sync gods?

Last edited by Danabw; 01-11-2016 at 08:58 AM.
post #7975 of 14904 Old 01-11-2016, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante1138 View Post
TROUBLESHOOTING QUERY (If I'm posting in the wrong place please let me know and apologies):

I just exchanged a buggy Vizio M for the 55" x850c. I absolutely love the picture quality. Calibration was fairly easy and when all was said and done, the picture was noticeably better than anything I could squeeze out of the Vizio (which was fine, overall, but returned for a screen failure within the first month). Black and gray uniformity are much better than I expected. I am very very pleased with the set.

One nagging problem, which might be nothing but I want to be sure. The TV emits a very, VERY faint popping or crackling sound, especially after the first few minutes of use and continuing for 30 to 45 minutes before subsiding. When the set is off, you can also hear it for a few minutes. It is not a regular repetitive pattern, but an inconsistent yet persistent noise. The way I've described the sound is like the first few drops of rain on a window before the deluge.

I should make clear that this is not an audio issue. It is noting coming through the internal or external speakers, and it is not associated with content playback. I noticed it initially when calibrating the picture settings, and upon closer inspection discovered that it was coming from the back of the set, inside the panel.

One thought since it seems to start up as the set warms up is that it is simply the plastic case expanding, although why would I hear it once the set had been shut off again? Another suggestion was that it may be slightly noisier than usual capacitors.

The sound is NOT an issue that is distracting during normal use. You can't hear it then at all. It's simply a matter of concern if this is a benign annoyance or perhaps the sign of an electrical failure down the road.

Anyone with a similar experience or suggestions? I'd rather than replace ANOTHER TV so quickly, as I love the picture quality and don't really have more time to set aside to sit around and wait for Best Buy to pick up and deliver a set which a) might have poorer uniformity and/or b) has the same fainting crackling.
We've heard about this issue a few times, but haven't had any clear conclusions. My previous TV, a DLP, would make these types of snap/crackle/pop sounds (quite loud, in fact) at start-up and after being turned off. It appeared to be related to the expanding and contracting of the TV set during warm up and cool down, and never resulted in other issues - the DLP lasted for almost 12 years before the light engine died.

This seems like a similar issue. My 75" doesn't do this that I have noticed, and I have no idea if this type of expand/contract issue (assuming that's what it is) signifies an underlying problem or not with these sets.

Also, I'm not 100% sure, but I believe we've mostly seen this w/55" sets so far - someone can correct me if I'm mis-remembering that.

Last edited by Danabw; 01-11-2016 at 08:52 AM.
post #7976 of 14904 Old 01-11-2016, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry2456 View Post

On another topic, I'm still not getting 5.1 on the Amazon app but that was the way it's been since I got the set back in October and I know everyone here's already discussed it...just no solutions that I've read so far so I just thought I'd ask once again. Vudu, Netflix, and others work but not Amazon and if I remember Disney Anywhere as well. If 2.0 is all you can get right now from Amazon and Disney on the 850c, why does it say 5.1 in the movie summary?

When is Sony going to get around to fixing the Amazon app. They're already introducing their 2016 sets and haven't fixed something so seemingly simple. I'm hoping one of you have already found a simple solution like putting it through a painful factory reset or something. I Already tried the Audio 1 and 2 settings in the Sound settings menu and both work fine for everything else, just not for Amazon and Disney.

Cheers everyone!
It's long been known that the amazon app doesn't do 5.1. Is it Amazon or Sony? who knows. It's the app itself, and no amount of audio settings on the tv will change it.

Sony xbr65x850c Side Blooming test clips:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...br65x850c.xlsx
post #7977 of 14904 Old 01-11-2016, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked: 449
Quote:
I checked the corners, and yes I have the same darker corners. I measured and it's a about 1/16" x 1/16" and only really "dimmed" and not an actual black spot. Totally not a big deal to me and the corners are all black anyways in 2.35/1 aspect. I'm most impressed by the vibrance of the colors and the natural motion handling.

FWIW, my wife almost instantly approved of the set as well
Small shaded areas in all four corners is Normal on the 75". It only shows with a bright very light background. Don't worry- be Happy .
Gerry
aaronwt likes this.
post #7978 of 14904 Old 01-11-2016, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp787 View Post
It's long been known that the amazon app doesn't do 5.1. Is it Amazon or Sony? who knows. It's the app itself, and no amount of audio settings on the tv will change it.
5.1 would be very nice, but I feel we are lucky we even have an Amazon app on this TV, that too with 4K at 60Hz and HDR support (more than one can say for Amazon's own fire TV box that does 4K at 30Hz, no HDR). The reason I say lucky is since Google and Amazon don't "get along" - Amazon app is not supported on the Android TV platform in general, so Sony finagled a special deal to get the app supported on their version of the Android TV platform.

At this point I am looking for 4K support for Vudu (hopefully with HDR), and also HDR support for Netflix. I feel this TV seems capable enough to support Dolby Vision apps based on how good (super bright highlights and color) HDR looks on it. Also, as per CES announcements, one hopes the Ultra app from Sony (featuring their own 4K HDR library of movies) will be supported on this TV.
post #7979 of 14904 Old 01-11-2016, 10:55 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Just when I think I have all this stuff figured out...

So is this understanding of CineMotion correct?

24p content playing with 850C Netflix or Plex app = CineMotion good
24p content playing with Nvidia Shield Netflix or Plex app via HDMI to 850C @ 23.976fps = CineMotion un-needed
post #7980 of 14904 Old 01-11-2016, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civuck View Post
Just when I think I have all this stuff figured out...

So is this understanding of CineMotion correct?

24p content playing with 850C Netflix or Plex app = CineMotion good
24p content playing with Nvidia Shield Netflix or Plex app via HDMI to 850C @ 23.976fps = CineMotion un-needed
CineMotion appears to be a way to manage interlaced and variable frame rate material. Just read the descriptions in the menu for each level of it. I think it is intended to produce cinema style 24 fps motion to material that isn't 24fps.

I can tell you that set to High, I've seen it react worse to both 480i30 and 1080p24 content. I keep mine set to Low and have no idea if it's doing anything or not... which to me seems ideal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
4k suhd , android , firmware , hdr , ir blaster , reboot , XBR-55X850C , xbr-65x850c xbr-75x850c

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page