Sony 2015 XBR-55X850C / XBR-65X850C / XBR-75X850C owners club - Page 27 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12022Likes

post #781 of 15067 Old 05-23-2015, 10:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBarber View Post
If I play a cable TV channel via a coax cable connected to the TV I get 5.1 DD surround sound via ARC, so the ARC is capable of supporting surround sound. It just doesn't seem to support it for streaming videos over the Internet. In any event, just to test things, I reconnected an optical cable between the TV and my AV receiver and reconfigured my setup so that the AV receiver used the optical cable and not HDMI ARC and I get the exact same results with the optical cable, a 2-channel downmix of surround sound when the input is an Internet streaming video.

Awesome. I'm certainly glad Sony supports 5.1 via ARC. Wonder why you don't get 5.1 from the apps. Are they only streaming stereo, perhaps?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 15067 Old 05-23-2015, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalto View Post
It seems like you have tested all the right things. Have you tried calling Sony?
Yes, I've contacted Sony multiple times. Each time, I'm give various things to try (it seems like the support personnel just read down a menu of things to do) and when that doesn't work they're stumped and generally just give me another department at Sony to contact to resolve the issue. Things came full circle, just before my initial post about this problem on the AVS forum, when the last department that I was referred to, collected all my information about the problem and what I've tried, put me on hold for 10 minutes so that they could check some things out and then referred me back to the very first department that I contacted to resolve the issue. That's when I finally gave up on Sony support and decided to post on the AVS forum in order to see if this was an isolated issue with my set or a generic problem that was affecting everyone and thus more likely a hardware limitation or software bug on Sony's part that their service reps were either unaware of or not admitting to. I should note that at no point did Sony support say that a 2-channel stereo downmix of surround sound audio prior to transmission over Arc and/or optical was the way the TV was supposed to work.
post #783 of 15067 Old 05-23-2015, 11:09 AM

Hmm... Do you have a local copy of something with 5.1 that you could put on USB, and play via the TV? Might be worth testing to see if it's just the android apps that aren't supporting 5.1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #784 of 15067 Old 05-23-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Van Booven View Post
Awesome. I'm certainly glad Sony supports 5.1 via ARC. Wonder why you don't get 5.1 from the apps. Are they only streaming stereo, perhaps?
That's the question. I know the audio signal to the built in apps is at least 5.1 DD surround sound (some of the YouTube videos I've tested contain 7.1 DD surround sound) but the output audio signal from these apps/TV is only 2-channel PCM. I wouldn't care and would just use another source for my streaming video content but the other sources that I have (Roku, Amazon FireTV, etc) don't support streaming 4K video. Of course, at this point, neither do the built in Sony TV apps. However, the built in TV apps should ultimately be fixed to support 4K video from Amazon and Netflix, at which point I don't want to have to lose surround sound just to be able to watch the video in 4K.
post #785 of 15067 Old 05-23-2015, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Due to problems with an 850b that we picked up a few days ago we traded it for a 850c which was delivered this morning. Surprised that it still does not have Netflix and we're close the end of May. Had I known that I would have gone for a Samsung.
I find the usability to be poor compared to the b, but maybe it's just me.
The picture seems to be much better than the b. But that may be because we had a sick b..
20 lbs lighter. That's a huge plus for me.
No 3d? No biggy.
No camera? No biggy.
Has voice control, doubt that we'll use it.
No Netflix, that's a showstopper. I may return it, hmmm.
post #786 of 15067 Old 05-23-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Hmm... Do you have a local copy of something with 5.1 that you could put on USB, and play via the TV? Might be worth testing to see if it's just the android apps that aren't supporting 5.1
Good idea. I just copied some of my videos to a USB drive that I then plugged this drive directly into the TV. With this setup I get the appropriate 5.1 DD surround sound signal. I then tried to play the exact same video from my NAS using an android app and got a 2-channel PCM downmix so it appears to be the android apps that are the problem.
post #787 of 15067 Old 05-23-2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gjjack View Post
Due to problems with an 850b that we picked up a few days ago we traded it for a 850c which was delivered this morning. Surprised that it still does not have Netflix and we're close the end of May. Had I known that I would have gone for a Samsung.
The picture seems to be much better than the b. But that may be because we had a sick b..
No 3d? No biggy.
No camera? No biggy.

The 850C has 3D (active) but doesn't come with glasses; they must be purchased separately.

Netflix with 4K support is coming, and Sony has said it will be released in May.

Getting a different TV rather than waiting about week for the Netflix app to be released? That seems silly; you're gonna have the TV a long time. Get the right TV for the long run, even if it means waiting a week for the app to be released.
post #788 of 15067 Old 05-23-2015, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1282 Post(s)
Liked: 1216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gjjack View Post
No 3d? No biggy.
No camera? No biggy.
The firmware updates for the Apps should release May 27th. I'd suggest waiting for the update before making your decision.
post #789 of 15067 Old 05-23-2015, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_E View Post
The firmware updates for the Apps should release May 27th. I'd suggest waiting for the update before making your decision.
Oh good to know. Thanks!
post #790 of 15067 Old 05-23-2015, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca4224 View Post
I'm new to LCD LED edgelit TVs. Anyone who is experienced see enough flashlighting here to exchange? There's also a small cloud on the upper right before the corner. Possibly on left too All of it is hard to capture on my camera though. I'm focusing and unfocusing to try and get accurate representation. When turning off "Light Sensor" setting, the flashlighting gets much worse.

Has anyone done a credits test? Pretty much the whole screen...especially the bottom half is grey black in color. Wondering if this is normal.

Outside of this, the TV has been great.
Did you end up keeping the set? Uniformity is not any better than the 850B on this set.
post #791 of 15067 Old 05-24-2015, 12:23 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Good idea. I just copied some of my videos to a USB drive that I then plugged this drive directly into the TV. With this setup I get the appropriate 5.1 DD surround sound signal. I then tried to play the exact same video from my NAS using an android app and got a 2-channel PCM downmix so it appears to be the android apps that are the problem.
Please contact sony and tell them about the bug, this is clearly a software issue then.
I just wonder if you are an isolated case or if others in the forum also have this problem. Having an AVS setup over ARC is not uncommon. Do you get DD sound if you dont use ARC but use an optical cable?
post #792 of 15067 Old 05-24-2015, 12:59 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
I dont think the android apps themselves have the problem here. I think it must be somewhere on Sonys side, the Android apps just use what codecs the operating system gives them and feed their data in.
So I personally think this issue must be fixed on Sonys side with a firmware update not on the apps side.
post #793 of 15067 Old 05-24-2015, 02:27 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got a 65 850C and trying to figure out if I should attach my video sources to the TV or mr AVR.

Plan was to hook everything to the AVR (Yamaha RX-S600), which has a 4K scaler, and use ARC to TV HDMI4.

Video sources:
- TiVo Mini
- Yamaha BD-S677 BluRay (1080p)
- Apple TV
- PS4

Is this my best approach? Or should I hook everything up to the TV and use the Sony scaler instead of the Yamaha one?
post #794 of 15067 Old 05-24-2015, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by werpu12 View Post
I dont think the android apps themselves have the problem here. I think it must be somewhere on Sonys side, the Android apps just use what codecs the operating system gives them and feed their data in.
So I personally think this issue must be fixed on Sonys side with a firmware update not on the apps side.
Since this issue affects all three Android apps that I've tested (YouTube, Amazon Instant Video, and Plex) I agree that it's unlikely that all three have defective sound management. It's more likely that the problem is in the processing somewhere between the individual Android apps and sound output from the TV. This could be in low level files in Google's Android TV system itself or in the Sony software that provides the interface between the Android TV system and the set's hardware.

In response to you questions in another message, the results are identical whether I use ARC or optical to output the sound to my AV receiver and I have contacted Sony support several times and even tried to politely suggest that there was a bug in their software that was causing incorrect sound output but each time I only got through to 1st line (low level) tech support who just made me run through a standard script of potential repairs for sound issues (do a factory reset on the TV and then upgrade to the latest software, connect and optical cable, etc) and didn't seem to take my comment that there was a potential bug in their software that was causing the problem seriously, or at least if they considered it and passed it on, they kept that a secret from me.
post #795 of 15067 Old 05-24-2015, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Since this issue affects all three Android apps that I've tested (YouTube, Amazon Instant Video, and Plex) I agree that it's unlikely that all three have defective sound management. It's more likely that the problem is in the processing somewhere between the individual Android apps and sound output from the TV. This could be in low level files in Google's Android TV system itself or in the Sony software that provides the interface between the Android TV system and the set's hardware.

In response to you questions in another message, the results are identical whether I use ARC or optical to output the sound to my AV receiver and I have contacted Sony support several times and even tried to politely suggest that there was a bug in their software that was causing incorrect sound output but each time I only got through to 1st line (low level) tech support who just made me run through a standard script of potential repairs for sound issues (do a factory reset on the TV and then upgrade to the latest software, connect and optical cable, etc) and didn't seem to take my comment that there was a potential bug in their software that was causing the problem seriously, or at least if they considered it and passed it on, they kept that a secret from me.
It's not Android TV in and of itself, but it may be a bug introduced by Sony engineers as they customize the OS. I am certain they are working on it along with getting Netflix 4k tested.

Plain Android TV is a platform neutral OS that runs all of these things fine.

Sent via Tapatalk on the Oneplus One

Last edited by ktownhero; 05-24-2015 at 06:54 AM.
post #796 of 15067 Old 05-24-2015, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by self-powered View Post
Did you end up keeping the set? Uniformity is not any better than the 850B on this set.
As much as I don't want to, I'm likely going to return the 850C due to the uniformity and other smaller reasons. Great TV though - I just have a gut feeling that OLED will be worth it in 2016. LG (hope Sony buys their panels and creates OLED for market) should be commended for their efforts in getting better yields and continuing its support. Right or wrong, if the 55EG9600 is $5,500 today...I'm hoping a 55" is around $2k next year considering previous drops and LCD competition.
post #797 of 15067 Old 05-24-2015, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
As much as I don't want to, I'm likely going to return the 850C due to the uniformity and other smaller reasons. Great TV though - I just have a gut feeling that OLED will be worth it in 2016. LG (hope Sony buys their panels and creates OLED for market) should be commended for their efforts in getting better yields and continuing its support. Right or wrong, if the 55EG9600 is $5,500 today...I'm hoping a 55" is around $2k next year considering previous drops and LCD competition.
Cant say I blame you. Every set I've had of theirs has severe uniformity issues. I realize all TVs have it but my Panny and Samsung sets did not. It's like they went all out on color and natural skin tones but then didn't think of the clouding stuff. I wish I had saved up and got the 65" which has the direct array. Not sure how the rtings.com review said they saw no uniformity issues. I was watching a movie last night and the entire left edge of the screen is much brighter.

Last edited by self-powered; 05-24-2015 at 11:00 AM.
post #798 of 15067 Old 05-24-2015, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1292 Post(s)
Liked: 658
Quote:
I'm hoping a 55" is around $2k next year considering previous drops and LCD competition.
Seems unlikely that they will fall that far by next near but it would be great if they did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by self-powered View Post
Not sure how the rtngs.com review said they saw no uniformity issues.
They probably got a good one. The problem is that there is so much variation between samples. Seems to be pretty common in edge-lit TVs for whatever reason.
post #799 of 15067 Old 05-24-2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:

Ugh. I'm going to want to use Netflix directly on the TV to get 4K, but that's unacceptable if there's no way to get 5.1 audio from the TV, even via optical. I knew I wouldn't be able to use ARC, but figured I could just use optical. Down sampling everything to stereo? No bueno.
post #800 of 15067 Old 05-24-2015, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Ugh. I'm going to want to use Netflix directly on the TV to get 4K, but that's unacceptable if there's no way to get 5.1 audio from the TV, even via optical. I knew I wouldn't be able to use ARC, but figured I could just use optical. Down sampling everything to stereo? No bueno.
It uses to work fine in 5.1 on my 850B so I hope it will be fixed on this year models...

Steve - Blogger at http://www.nextgenhometheater.com
Home Theater: Marantz SR7010 7.2.4 - Emotiva XPA-5/Outlaw 770 - KEF Q Series 2017 Speakers - SVS PB2000 Subs - JVC DLA-X550R - Samsung UBD-K8500
Living Room: Denon S710W 5.2.1 - KEF/Polk Speakers/Sub - LG OLED65C7P - XBox One X
post #801 of 15067 Old 05-24-2015, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
I just tried this out using the VUDU app. I can get Dolby Digital Plus via ARC but when I listen via optical I only get PCM. Oddly, the little Dolby light lights up on my receiver anyway. Very strange, indeed.
post #802 of 15067 Old 05-24-2015, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1292 Post(s)
Liked: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3 View Post
I just got a 65 850C and trying to figure out if I should attach my video sources to the TV or mr AVR.

Plan was to hook everything to the AVR (Yamaha RX-S600), which has a 4K scaler, and use ARC to TV HDMI4.

Video sources:
- TiVo Mini
- Yamaha BD-S677 BluRay (1080p)
- Apple TV
- PS4

Is this my best approach? Or should I hook everything up to the TV and use the Sony scaler instead of the Yamaha one?
If it was me I would hook them to the AVR. I suspect the TVs scalar will be better though so I would probably turn that off. There is probably a way to tell it just to pass the video signal through without scaling.
post #803 of 15067 Old 05-24-2015, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post
Garbage in - garbage out! Upscalers are unfortunately not miracle devices.
Upscalers are the biggest scam put out by the manufactures. They are trying to build something that does not exist and the software and processing power need, if it was even possible, is far beyond that contained in any television.
post #804 of 15067 Old 05-24-2015, 05:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudae View Post
Upscalers are the biggest scam put out by the manufactures. They are trying to build something that does not exist and the software and processing power need, if it was even possible, is far beyond that contained in any television.
Upscalers are neither a scam, nor do they require the power you are referring to.

Upscalers upscale... They don't make a bad image better.

Sent via Tapatalk on the Oneplus One
post #805 of 15067 Old 05-24-2015, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 13

Not too happy about the light bleed on my 65" 850C.
post #806 of 15067 Old 05-24-2015, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1601 Post(s)
Liked: 1659
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmabry View Post

What are your settings? Backlight or brightness may need to be turned down. And hopefully you're not in vivid mode for night viewing...
post #807 of 15067 Old 05-24-2015, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillietalls View Post
What are your settings? Backlight or brightness may need to be turned down. And hopefully you're not in vivid mode for night viewing...
I'm in custom mode with brightness set at 46.
post #808 of 15067 Old 05-24-2015, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I was debating whether or not to post about an odd experience I had with light bleed on my 65" 850C today. Seeing the picture of your set convinced me to do it. Ever since I've had my 850C, I could see very faint flashlighting in all four corners of the screen. It would only be visible on a completely black screen and it was faint enough that I was able to live with it.

Earlier today, the screen began to take on a kind of "fuzzy" or "washed out" look. I kept checking my settings to see if something got changed. Now, this is going to sound very strange, but, when I went to an all black screen, the flashlighting in the corners had been replaced with light bleed from the sides that looked very much like what is in your picture. I tried just about every picture adjustment possible but the light bleed from the sides remained. It seemed as though the backlighting was "stuck" on!

On a hunch, I went in to the Home menu and did a reset. After the TV restarted, the side light bleed was gone and the old, faint flashlighting in the four corners was back. Things look much better now. How weird is that!

Have you always had this same light bleed pattern on your set or is it something that just recently appeared? Maybe try a reset and see if that helps?
post #809 of 15067 Old 05-24-2015, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBetaGuy View Post
I was debating whether or not to post about an odd experience I had with light bleed on my 65" 850C today. Seeing the picture of your set convinced me to do it. Ever since I've had my 850C, I could see very faint flashlighting in all four corners of the screen. It would only be visible on a completely black screen and it was faint enough that I was able to live with it.

Earlier today, the screen began to take on a kind of "fuzzy" or "washed out" look. I kept checking my settings to see if something got changed. Now, this is going to sound very strange, but, when I went to an all black screen, the flashlighting in the corners had been replaced with light bleed from the sides that looked very much like what is in your picture. I tried just about every picture adjustment possible but the light bleed from the sides remained. It seemed as though the backlighting was "stuck" on!

On a hunch, I went in to the Home menu and did a reset. After the TV restarted, the side light bleed was gone and the old, faint flashlighting in the four corners was back. Things look much better now. How weird is that!

Have you always had this same light bleed pattern on your set or is it something that just recently appeared? Maybe try a reset and see if that helps?
Interesting. No, my watching has been limited to 1 hour on Friday, and tonight. So, tonight I started playing around and feeling it out. When I got to the settings I noticed the edges. Just like you see them in the picture. It creates soft distracting sides when watching content. Not sure I can live with it or not.
Btw, I went in and switched off the light sensor. Now my brightness is 18 and the sides look the same on a dark screen
Are you referring to the factory data reset located in the storage & reset settings menu?

Last edited by mrmabry; 05-24-2015 at 06:59 PM.
post #810 of 15067 Old 05-24-2015, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Are you referring to the factory data reset located in the storage & reset settings menu?
I'm sorry. I didn't say it correctly. It wasn't a reset it was repeating the Initial Setup which is the menu item just to the right of 'Storage & Reset'.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
4k suhd , android , firmware , hdr , ir blaster , reboot , XBR-55X850C , xbr-65x850c xbr-75x850c

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page