Sony 2015 XBR-55X850C / XBR-65X850C / XBR-75X850C owners club - Page 308 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11989Likes

post #9211 of 14995 Old 02-18-2016, 11:00 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9922 Post(s)
Liked: 6558
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
Dead pixels seem pretty common in my experience. I don't know how many people actually check for them, but three quarters of the 850's that I've seen have had a dead or hot pixel.
I have not checked for any, and I'm not about to. With my normal viewing I have not noticed anything. So if I go searching for some, and if I find any, then I will probably see it every time afterwards.

But even when I was two feet away from the screen, I haven't noticed any dead pixels. But I was not specifically looking for dead pixels.
Danabw likes this.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9212 of 14995 Old 02-18-2016, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2137 Post(s)
Liked: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
Dead pixels seem pretty common in my experience. I don't know how many people actually check for them, but three quarters of the 850's that I've seen have had a dead or hot pixel.
yeah i can't be honest how many i had the local stores open and go through trying to find one without a dead pixel. some had a few, while many just had 1 (i brought a usb stick with different color backgrounds to test them out). it wasn't just me as the employees were able to point them out too. i did end up getting a display with no dead pixels but got home and it had some banding going on that i couldn't live with being i watch a lot of sports with green/white solid backgrounds. anyways, the one i'm probably keeping has 1 dead pixel about an inch off the bottom of screen, about 5in right of center. honestly from my viewing distance i can't see it and only shows on white screens if you're looking for it. of course i know it's there but this one has great uniformity so i'll prob end up keeping it.

helping sway that decision is i tried 1 js8500 and 2 js850d 65in models too and all had bad blue light bleed in the corners. and i honestly thought the sony did a much better job with a clearer picture on my directv cable source (most of our viewing). so i'm tired of trying to find the "perfect tv", as it my wife. to make the pot sweeter, one of the stores said they would give me 15% off to stop opening boxes and keep one

so ended up getting the 65x850c for $1529 new with 1 dead pixel.
aaronwt likes this.
post #9213 of 14995 Old 02-18-2016, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kfan View Post
I'm beginning to wonder very seriously if there may be something wrong either with my Sony 65" 850c or my Samsung 8500 4k Blu-ray player. Before calling Sony tech support, which isn't always so helpful, I thought I'd pose my concerns here and see if the readers in this forum who own both could offer opinions and advice.

I know these are both dark movies, but when I play either 'The Martian' or 'Maze Runner: Scorch Trials' the images are just too dark. During daylight scenes the actors are so dark that I can see almost no detail with them, and they look as if they're in silhouette. This is true for both the 4k and 1080p disc versions of both of these movies. With 4k the HDR process is certainly working, and it's bright enough, but everything around these bright scenes looks as if it's pure black. That prompted me to play the standard versions of these movies, and I had the same result. But what I found to be strange was that the regular Blu-ray version looked every bit as detailed as the 4k version of both of these movies.

I also had trouble playing a 3D title recently. When I used the 3D feature with the 8500 the first time, playing 'Exodus', the 3D effects, detail and brightness were superb. But just yesterday, when I played 'Life of Pi' in 3D it was very dark and grainy, nothing like I'd experienced on the Panasonic 3D player.

The above leads me to believe that either the Sony TV or the Samsung player are defective. Yes, I know that I can go into either menu and adjust this or that in the hope of getting a better picture, but I shouldn't have to do that to get acceptable display quality. If there are complicated settings to have to adjust, how many everyday people are going to know this?

For the record, I know that my 850c is having video and audio problems, and I'm in the process of providing Sony and the Better Business Bureau with photographs and documentation of these, in the hope of getting a replacement model. But the only video problem with the Sony is severe edge bleeding, and I don't think that's contributing to the problem I'm having when playing a disc with the Samsung 8500.

If anyone would like to offer their opinion and advice I'd appreciate it. I haven't even started my 15-day trial run with Best Buy yet, as all of my discs haven't yet been shipped to me, so if worse comes to worse, I can just return the Samsung and wait until next year to buy a Sony 4k player, when there will also be a wide selection of true 4k material.

Thanks for all help.
I don't have either of those discs so I can't comment on their playback specifically but what you describe is so different from what I'm seeing that I suspect there is something wrong in your system. Unfortunately, you'll have to do some troubleshooting to try and isolate what is causing the problem. The things that I would suggest are:

1) If you have a Best Buy nearby and you're willing to try another UHD Blu-ray, get Kingsman. Unlike Exodus, I know this movie appears well lit (not dark) on my system when played at default settings (user mode with everything zeroed out on the Samsung and unadjusted, default HDR settings on the Sony). Therefore, if it's dark on your system, there there is definitely something wrong.
2) Since the regular blu-ray disk also appears dark on your system, can you hook up your previous blu-ray player and see if the playback is still dark. This should help to distinguish whether the problem is in your TV or the Samsung blu-ray player.
3) Do you have a Netflix or Amazon Prime subscription? If so, try playing the same UHD show using the app on the TV vs the app on the blu-ray player. Ideally, to keep everything the same, use a non-HDR show since the built in apps on the blu-ray player don't (?yet) support HDR. Playback of Amazon UHD content looks similar on my system using either the TV or blu-ray player app. If the app output from the blu-ray player on your system isn't similar to that from of the TV app, then there is something wrong with your Samsung blu-ray player.
4) Does the HDMI output from the blu-ray player go straight to the TV or through an intermediate AVR? If it is going through an intermediate AVR, remove the AVR from the equation by running the HDMI cable straight from video output 1 on the blu-ray player to your TV and see what happens. I had to do this and then run a second HDMI from output 2 of the blu-ray player to my AVR because the HDMI input/output on my AVR (which is supposed to be 2.0a compatible) apparently still needs an update to work correctly and my TV only received the correct UHD/HDR signal when I eliminated my AVR from the chain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9214 of 14995 Old 02-18-2016, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carey 2 View Post
Blafharrghflaaaaarrghhh.

Having issues getting my sound to output to my new Denon Avrx2200 w receiver. It is starting to drive me mad.

I've look in the FAQ sheet too and I cannot seem to find any form of solution no matter what. I hope I'm just being stupid.

I've tried both using ARC and an optical cable, the cable is what I used before I upgraded from a HTIAB.

Anybody got any help? It perhaps even have a Denon receiver that can offer advice?
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carey 2 View Post
Sorry for the double post.

I just remembered that I left out a detail. It is definitely synching with the receiver as I can control the volume and such.

On the BRAVIA sync device list it shows:

Player 1- HDMI 4 - Connected - PS3
Audio system - HDMI 4 - (Blank) - AVR-X2200W.
I assume that when you try ARC via HDMI, that you had Bravia Sync on your TV and HDMI-CEC (or whatever your receiver calls it) on your receiver enabled?

Did you fully reboot both TV and receiver after enabling Bravia Sync/HDMI-CEC on both devices? Sometimes that can be required - fully power down both TV and receiver (unplug them may be best) and then power up again and see if you still have issues. ARC can need that to get the handshakes between devices.

And I assume you've reconfirmed that your Sound settings are set to Audio system and not TV speakers.

2015 Sony X850C FAQ: Recommended Picture settings, 3D FAQ, HDR FAQ, DirecTV 4K Ready FAQ, Troubleshooting & common problems; Dropbox Link || Alternate Google Drive FAQ Link. || My gear: TV - Sony XBR75X850C, BD - Sony BDP S350, AVR - Pioneer VSX-1020, Speakers - RBH MC-616C MKII Center Channel, RBH MC-6C MKII Bookshelf (fronts), RBH MC-615 In-ceiling surrounds, RBH TS-10AP 200W self-powered sub.
post #9215 of 14995 Old 02-18-2016, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBarber View Post
I don't have either of those discs so I can't comment on their playback specifically but what you describe is so different from what I'm seeing that I suspect there is something wrong in your system. Unfortunately, you'll have to do some troubleshooting to try and isolate what is causing the problem. The things that I would suggest are:

1) If you have a Best Buy nearby and you're willing to try another UHD Blu-ray, get Kingsman. Unlike Exodus, I know this movie appears well lit (not dark) on my system when played at default settings (user mode with everything zeroed out on the Samsung and unadjusted, default HDR settings on the Sony). Therefore, if it's dark on your system, there there is definitely something wrong.
2) Since the regular blu-ray disk also appears dark on your system, can you hook up your previous blu-ray player and see if the playback is still dark. This should help to distinguish whether the problem is in your TV or the Samsung blu-ray player.
3) Do you have a Netflix or Amazon Prime subscription? If so, try playing the same UHD show using the app on the TV vs the app on the blu-ray player. Ideally, to keep everything the same, use a non-HDR show since the built in apps on the blu-ray player don't (?yet) support HDR. Playback of Amazon UHD content looks similar on my system using either the TV or blu-ray player app. If the app output from the blu-ray player on your system isn't similar to that from of the TV app, then there is something wrong with your Samsung blu-ray player.
4) Does the HDMI output from the blu-ray player go straight to the TV or through an intermediate AVR? If it is going through an intermediate AVR, remove the AVR from the equation by running the HDMI cable straight from video output 1 on the blu-ray player to your TV and see what happens. I had to do this and then run a second HDMI from output 2 of the blu-ray player to my AVR because the HDMI input/output on my AVR (which is supposed to be 2.0a compatible) apparently still needs an update to work correctly and my TV only received the correct UHD/HDR signal when I eliminated my AVR from the chain.

Thanks for taking the time to address my concerns; I very much appreciate your input and advice.

I have the Samsung 8500 hooked directly into the Sony's HDMI 3 slot for display, and I have the player's audio output connected to HDMI 2 on my Yamaha 4k 5.1 receiver. And of course, I'm using the best HDMI cables available, so that's not a problem.

In trying to work with the Samsung I must have done something that I wasn't supposed to, because the machine froze up on me, and I couldn't get it to function. I finally had to disconnect the power plug, and it worked fine after that.

Regarding display, I most certainly can take it off of the HDR setting when playing 4k, and I can use other picture functions. Unfortunately, nothing works satisfactorily. I absolutely cannot play a 4k movie on the HDR setting, because everything gets much too dark. If I use Standard, the picture brightens up but looks badly washed out, with very little contrast, and I've found no way to increase the color saturation or contrast. Vivid works, to a point, and by manipulating black levels and contrast the picture almost looks decent. But it isn't a 4k picture, and looks no better than the 1080p disc.

When I return to my Standard settings and play a disc like 'Wolf of Wall Street' the picture looks just fine, the same as it always has, so I'm relieved about that, but 4k isn't making it. But if I may say, the very first time that I played a 4k movie, 'Scorch Trials', the picture looked great and the 4k was very evident, and quite impressive. The display wasn't at all too dark, although the default HDR was a bit brighter than I thought it should have been when it was employed. But overall, I was quite happy with it. But since that time, two days ago, something seems to have gotten all screwed up. The picture in that movie is no longer playing properly.

I'm not going to open up the two 4k titles I have coming March 3, although that's a long time away yet. It might be best to see if I have to exchange the Samsung, or get a refund.

Thanks again for all advice, or for anything more you may be able to help me with.
post #9216 of 14995 Old 02-18-2016, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw View Post
I assume that when you try ARC via HDMI, that you had Bravia Sync on your TV and HDMI-CEC (or whatever your receiver calls it) on your receiver enabled?

Did you fully reboot both TV and receiver after enabling Bravia Sync/HDMI-CEC on both devices? Sometimes that can be required - fully power down both TV and receiver (unplug them may be best) and then power up again and see if you still have issues. ARC can need that to get the handshakes between devices.

And I assume you've reconfirmed that your Sound settings are set to Audio system and not TV speakers.
Yeah I had checked a good few times. One of two full resets too.

Luckily I finally managed to get it to work on the optical cable (i think? Maybe). 3 hours later and it seemed to finally just decide to work.

The joys of technology.

Thanks though, your advice is appreciated.
post #9217 of 14995 Old 02-18-2016, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
850C Remote HDMI default

Hello All,

I've recently picked up the XBR55-X850C due to my older 2013 XBR55-HX950 dying a few weeks back. I loved that old TV and never experienced any issues so prevalent in those 950 posts. Replaced the power supply and main board on the HX950 after the set was blinking red 8 times. When complete, the set started blinking 4 times and Square D sent me a new X850C.

I'm working my way into the plethora of settings (with you're guidance) to attempt to match the HX950's splendor (in my eyes). I've been pleasantly surprised at times, disappointed at others...I believe I'm making progress.

Originally I set the high speed HDMI from my Denon/DAC to HDMI 2 on the TV. After reading that I needed to switch to the HDMI 4/DAC on the TV to obtain sound from the internet apps I've had no problem sound issues except not being able to receive 5.1 from Amazon et al. I'm using a Harmony 890 for normal watching, Sony remote(s) for the internet.

My problem is I cannot determine how to set my Sony Remote to know I've made the change to HDMI 4... or am I stuck having to hit the input command and select the correct HDMI 4? Any/all you can provide would be greatly appreciated & Best.
post #9218 of 14995 Old 02-18-2016, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:

Regarding display, I most certainly can take it off of the HDR setting when playing 4k, and I can use other picture functions. Unfortunately, nothing works satisfactorily. I absolutely cannot play a 4k movie on the HDR setting, because everything gets much too dark. If I use Standard, the picture brightens up but looks badly washed out, with very little contrast, and I've found no way to increase the color saturation or contrast. Vivid works, to a point, and by manipulating black levels and contrast the picture almost looks decent. But it isn't a 4k picture, and looks no better than the 1080p disc.
There is something going on. When I play an UHD BD the Sony autoengages the HDR Video Picture Mode and there is no way to change to Standard or any other mode. Settings can be adjusted but the picture mode is grayed out...

So if you are able to get out of HDR Video, then I suspect something is not right

Last edited by Corsair05; 02-18-2016 at 01:46 PM.
post #9219 of 14995 Old 02-18-2016, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmac1955 View Post
Hello All,

I've recently picked up the XBR55-X850C due to my older 2013 XBR55-HX950 dying a few weeks back. I loved that old TV and never experienced any issues so prevalent in those 950 posts. Replaced the power supply and main board on the HX950 after the set was blinking red 8 times. When complete, the set started blinking 4 times and Square D sent me a new X850C.

I'm working my way into the plethora of settings (with you're guidance) to attempt to match the HX950's splendor (in my eyes). I've been pleasantly surprised at times, disappointed at others...I believe I'm making progress.

Originally I set the high speed HDMI from my Denon/DAC to HDMI 2 on the TV. After reading that I needed to switch to the HDMI 4/DAC on the TV to obtain sound from the internet apps I've had no problem sound issues except not being able to receive 5.1 from Amazon et al. I'm using a Harmony 890 for normal watching, Sony remote(s) for the internet.

My problem is I cannot determine how to set my Sony Remote to know I've made the change to HDMI 4... or am I stuck having to hit the input command and select the correct HDMI 4? Any/all you can provide would be greatly appreciated & Best.
On the first tab (Read this First) of the FAQ:

"How do you program the TV key on the Sony remote to go to a specific input?

[DoctorM] "Home>Settings>External Inputs>Customize TV Key

You can set the button to be any of your inputs there."

Glad you're enjoying your new TV!

2015 Sony X850C FAQ: Recommended Picture settings, 3D FAQ, HDR FAQ, DirecTV 4K Ready FAQ, Troubleshooting & common problems; Dropbox Link || Alternate Google Drive FAQ Link. || My gear: TV - Sony XBR75X850C, BD - Sony BDP S350, AVR - Pioneer VSX-1020, Speakers - RBH MC-616C MKII Center Channel, RBH MC-6C MKII Bookshelf (fronts), RBH MC-615 In-ceiling surrounds, RBH TS-10AP 200W self-powered sub.
post #9220 of 14995 Old 02-18-2016, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair05 View Post
There is something going on. When I play an UHD BD the Sony autoengages the HDR Video Picture Mode and there is no way to change to Standard or any other mode. Settings can be adjusted but the picture mode is grayed out...

So if you are able to get out of HDR Video, then I suspect something is not right
I don't have one of these players so I haven't seen normal behavior, but it does sound like something odd is going on w/4KFan's setup...starting w/Samsung support to make sure the player is OK and settings are as they should be seems like the right approach at this point.

post #9221 of 14995 Old 02-18-2016, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazgulled View Post
I still have this issue and it's annoying as hell

I want to return my for warranty and see what they will do about it, but I have so much to do right now that I can't be bothered with the TV so I'm just "living with it". But it does get on my nerves on some darker movies...
yeah, but it doesn't happen most of the time, right?

Sony xbr65x850c Side Blooming test clips:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...br65x850c.xlsx
post #9222 of 14995 Old 02-18-2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:
I don't have one of these players so I haven't seen normal behavior, but it does sound like something odd is going on w/4KFan's setup...starting w/Samsung support to make sure the player is OK and settings are as they should be seems like the right approach at this point.
Quote:

Thanks for everyone's input. Shortly after I read Corsair05's post I once again fired up the TV and Samsung and played 'The Martian' 4k disc. It was indeed displaying a 3840x2160 image, so there was no problem there. The picture had bold colors, but little shadow detail and definitely no HDR display. Going into the Picture menu of my Sony I saw that it had set itself up for Vivid. I changed that to HDR and the resulting picture was extremely dark; in fact, darker than it had been before. I then changed it to Standard, which allowed me to see all details, but the picture was badly washed out. I just quit at that point.

I checked the player's settings, but I wouldn't know what to adjust. Deep Color is off, if that means anything. But in any event, a watchable, unadjusted 4k picture should be the norm, as the average customer wouldn't know what to adjust out of the box. Fine-tuning to taste is understandable, but an impressive 4k picture should be the standard right off the bat. And as I've said, the very first time I played a 4k movie, it was a great experience, but then everything went south.

At this point, then, I will indeed contact Samsung Customer Support, and if that leads nowhere, I will call Sony. If nothing can be done on either end, I will contact Best Buy to arrange an exchange of models, or to get a refund. At least I did see once what a 4k disc picture looks like, and I was impressed. It's only going to get better, so I'd like to be ready for it.

Thanks again for all help.
post #9223 of 14995 Old 02-18-2016, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Thanks for taking the time to address my concerns; I very much appreciate your input and advice.

I have the Samsung 8500 hooked directly into the Sony's HDMI 3 slot for display, and I have the player's audio output connected to HDMI 2 on my Yamaha 4k 5.1 receiver. And of course, I'm using the best HDMI cables available, so that's not a problem.

In trying to work with the Samsung I must have done something that I wasn't supposed to, because the machine froze up on me, and I couldn't get it to function. I finally had to disconnect the power plug, and it worked fine after that.

When I return to my Standard settings and play a disc like 'Wolf of Wall Street' the picture looks just fine, the same as it always has, so I'm relieved about that, but 4k isn't making it. But if I may say, the very first time that I played a 4k movie, 'Scorch Trials', the picture looked great and the 4k was very evident, and quite impressive. The display wasn't at all too dark, although the default HDR was a bit brighter than I thought it should have been when it was employed. But overall, I was quite happy with it. But since that time, two days ago, something seems to have gotten all screwed up. The picture in that movie is no longer playing properly.

I'm not going to open up the two 4k titles I have coming March 3, although that's a long time away yet. It might be best to see if I have to exchange the Samsung, or get a refund.

Thanks again for all advice, or for anything more you may be able to help me with.
It sounds like you changed the HDR profile settings. Make sure color space is set to auto and brightness is set to max. Also, set your gamma to 0 and turn off auto contrast enhancer.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk
post #9224 of 14995 Old 02-18-2016, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Thanks for everyone's input. Shortly after I read Corsair05's post I once again fired up the TV and Samsung and played 'The Martian' 4k disc. It was indeed displaying a 3840x2160 image, so there was no problem there. The picture had bold colors, but little shadow detail and definitely no HDR display. Going into the Picture menu of my Sony I saw that it had set itself up for Vivid. I changed that to HDR and the resulting picture was extremely dark; in fact, darker than it had been before. I then changed it to Standard, which allowed me to see all details, but the picture was badly washed out. I just quit at that point.

I checked the player's settings, but I wouldn't know what to adjust. Deep Color is off, if that means anything. But in any event, a watchable, unadjusted 4k picture should be the norm, as the average customer wouldn't know what to adjust out of the box. Fine-tuning to taste is understandable, but an impressive 4k picture should be the standard right off the bat. And as I've said, the very first time I played a 4k movie, it was a great experience, but then everything went south.

At this point, then, I will indeed contact Samsung Customer Support, and if that leads nowhere, I will call Sony. If nothing can be done on either end, I will contact Best Buy to arrange an exchange of models, or to get a refund. At least I did see once what a 4k disc picture looks like, and I was impressed. It's only going to get better, so I'd like to be ready for it.

Deep color should be on in the 8500. Did you do the latest firmware upgrade on the X850C, as it was specifically for support of HDR over HDMI.

Danabw likes this.

Last edited by C0der7; 02-18-2016 at 03:06 PM.
post #9225 of 14995 Old 02-18-2016, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Try setting Deep Color to Auto. Aaronwt said he had other problems when Deep Color was turned off.

If your TV isn't engaging HDR mode when you play HDR discs, something is indeed screwy. It seems to work for others, so should be solvable.

I assume you have the HDMI port the player is connected to set to Enhanced format?

Home>Settings>External Inputs>HDMI Signal Format: Choices: Standard format, Enhanced format.

post #9226 of 14995 Old 02-18-2016, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex1224 View Post
I have tried many settings suggested in this thread, but they were always too dark for me. My settings are:
Brightness 40
Contrast Max
Black 50
Gamma +2
Temperature Cool

I am attaching a new picture where the camera did not mess up the exposure.

Thank you
On my 75- I run:
Brightness 28
Contrast Max
Black 47
Gamma 0
Temp Neutral

I think the combo of +2 gamma & Temp. cool is causing some of your problems. Also what are you using for Motion? Try "Standard"
Gerry
post #9227 of 14995 Old 02-18-2016, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Does the X850C support ARC. I have a Pioneer receiver that supports ARC and I want the TV apps sound to get back to my receiver (5.1 system) instead of the crappy TV speakers.
post #9228 of 14995 Old 02-18-2016, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snagyouhard View Post
Does the X850C support ARC. I have a Pioneer receiver that supports ARC and I want the TV apps sound to get back to my receiver (5.1 system) instead of the crappy TV speakers.
Yes, via HDMI4.

See the X850C FAQ in my sig - it will help you quickly review the supported features and known issues, settings, etc. Scraped from this forum and pro sites.

If you're on mobile and can't see my sig, it's at: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7usku0ykgl...s-v6.xlsx?dl=0

You'll want to view it on a laptop/desktop for easiest use.

post #9229 of 14995 Old 02-18-2016, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

It sure sounds like there is something wrong in your setup. Either your Samsung blu-ray player is not sending the appropriate UHD/HDMI header or you Sony is not appropriately recognizing the header and setting the right HDMI settings. Assuming your TV has the February update to fix a problem with HDR over HDMI, I think I would first see if I could exchange the Samsung blu-ray player and, if that didn't solve the problem, see about exchanging the TV.
post #9230 of 14995 Old 02-18-2016, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Does HDR turn on automatically when HDR content is viewed? If I am using Cinema Pro (which most people recommend), how do I know if HDR content is playing?
post #9231 of 14995 Old 02-18-2016, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eculley View Post
Does HDR turn on automatically when HDR content is viewed? If I am using Cinema Pro (which most people recommend), how do I know if HDR content is playing?
Yes it does. Check out the faq for more details.

post #9232 of 14995 Old 02-18-2016, 06:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eculley View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by C0der7 View Post

Well said!

@eculley , see two posts above yours for a link to the X850C FAQ that you can see on mobile or in my sig below if you're on a laptop/desktop computer.

Download and open the excel file and see the HDR FAQ tab in the document. Lots of other info there to get you up to speed on X850C features, functions, settings, and issues, and avoid you having to ask questions we've already covered repeatedly.

Enjoy your TV!

post #9233 of 14995 Old 02-18-2016, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBarber View Post
It sure sounds like there is something wrong in your setup. Either your Samsung blu-ray player is not sending the appropriate UHD/HDMI header or you Sony is not appropriately recognizing the header and setting the right HDMI settings. Assuming your TV has the February update to fix a problem with HDR over HDMI, I think I would first see if I could exchange the Samsung blu-ray player and, if that didn't solve the problem, see about exchanging the TV.

I'd like to thank all of you for the tremendous support you've given in helping me to try to resolve my issues with the Samsung 4k player. I will shortly follow the latest advice for correcting these problems, and will now tell you what I've tried in the meantime.

Following a previous suggestion, I connected my Panasonic DMP-BDT100 Blu-ray player to the HDMI 1 slot in the Sony to see how its quality compared to the Samsung's for Hi-Def display. To make a long story very short, in every way imaginable the Panasonic ran circles around the Samsung, making it look like the sickest pound puppy you could ever see. In fact, the difference was too stunning, and it was a clear indication that either the Sammy was defective in some way, or it needed a firmware update. I'm hoping, of course, for the latter.

I'm going to pull my Ethernet cable out of my Sony and put it into the Samsung to get the latest update, and see what that does. But naturally, my first step was to call both Samsung and Sony tech support for any help. The Samsung agents I spoke with could offer no help, as none of them had ever heard of 4k. Just as badly for me, they had barely heard of English. And Sony once again said there was nothing wrong with their TV, as they always do, and that was that.

And so I'm going to try now to follow the latest advice, and we'll see where that gets me. Thanks once again for all help.
Danabw likes this.
post #9234 of 14995 Old 02-18-2016, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Try setting Deep Color to Auto. Aaronwt said he had other problems when Deep Color was turned off.

If your TV isn't engaging HDR mode when you play HDR discs, something is indeed screwy. It seems to work for others, so should be solvable.

I assume you have the HDMI port the player is connected to set to Enhanced format?

Home>Settings>External Inputs>HDMI Signal Format: Choices: Standard format, Enhanced format.

Danabw, I don't know what you mean when you ask, "I assume you have the HDMI port the player is connected to set to Enhanced format?" The player is connected to HDMI 3. How would I set it to Enhanced format? I don't know what that is.
Thanks for helping me with that.
post #9235 of 14995 Old 02-18-2016, 07:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Danabw, I don't know what you mean when you ask, "I assume you have the HDMI port the player is connected to set to Enhanced format?" The player is connected to HDMI 3. How would I set it to Enhanced format? I don't know what that is.
Sure, it's easy. From the "Read this First" tab of our FAQ:

HDMI Signal Format

Home>Settings>External Inputs>HDMI Signal Format; Choices: Standard format, Enhanced format. Select HDMI3 from the list of HDMI ports in the HDMI signal format setting screen, and set it to Enhanced format.

Technically, the "Auto" setting should work as well, but for now, select Enhanced format.

post #9236 of 14995 Old 02-18-2016, 07:14 PM

Quote:
He provided the steps,

Press Home on the remote, then go to Settings>External Inputs>HDMI Signal Format:and select Enhanced.
post #9237 of 14995 Old 02-18-2016, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Interestingly I have to leave Deep Color off, if I switch it to Auto, the Main Menu of the Samsung displays fine, but when I start a movie I get a No Signal message from the TV. The background starts flickering in a different color/tint.

I have it connected to HDMI 1, with dynamic range to Limited and format to Enhanced.

Could the cable be making the difference here?
post #9238 of 14995 Old 02-18-2016, 07:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Interestingly I have to leave Deep Color off, if I switch it to Auto, the Main Menu of the Samsung displays fine, but when I start a movie I get a No Signal message from the TV. The background starts flickering in a different color/tint.

I have it connected to HDMI 1, with dynamic range to Limited and format to Enhanced.

Could the cable be making the difference here?
Interesting...Aaronwt said that he got the "no signal" message about half the time when he had Deep Color off, and it was fine when he set it to Auto.

Have you seen any "no signal" messages in the lower right corner of the screen when you play a disc since you turned off Deep Color?

HDMI is usually binary (works or doesn't) - as long as you can play content it should be plenty good enough. Your settings seem fine.

post #9239 of 14995 Old 02-18-2016, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Interesting...Aaronwt said that he got the "no signal" message about half the time when he had Deep Color off, and it was fine when he set it to Auto.

Have you seen any "no signal" messages in the lower right corner of the screen when you play a disc since you turned off Deep Color?

HDMI is usually binary (works or doesn't) - as long as you can play content it should be plenty good enough. Your settings seem fine.
I still get the no signal message on the lower right most of the time even with DC off. It stays there for about 8-15 seconds and then the movie starts... sporadically it gets stuck and I have to press either Disc menu or Home on the k8500 remote...
post #9240 of 14995 Old 02-18-2016, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by C0der7 View Post

Please forgive me but I don't understand: I have the Samsung k8500 and the 65" x850c. If the picture automatically displays HDR, I don't have to select HDR Video from Picture Mode to get HDR?

I can select something other than "HDR Video" (such as let's say Cinema Home) and still supposedly be watching HDR?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
4k suhd , android , firmware , hdr , ir blaster , reboot , XBR-55X850C , xbr-65x850c xbr-75x850c

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page