Sony 2015 XBR-55X850C / XBR-65X850C / XBR-75X850C owners club - Page 309 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11989Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #9241 of 14994 Old 02-18-2016, 07:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Danabw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,220
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by thyname View Post
Please forgive me but I don't understand: I have the Samsung k8500 and the 65" x850c. If the picture automatically displays HDR, I don't have to select HDR Video from Picture Mode to get HDR?

I can select something other than "HDR Video" (such as let's say Cinema Home) and still supposedly be watching HDR?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The TV engages HDR mode on HDR content automatically. You can't select another picture mode when HDR content is playing...the set sees the HDR information in the video feed and switches over.

2015 Sony X850C FAQ: Recommended Picture settings, 3D FAQ, HDR FAQ, DirecTV 4K Ready FAQ, Troubleshooting & common problems; Dropbox Link || Alternate Google Drive FAQ Link. || My gear: TV - Sony XBR75X850C, BD - Sony BDP S350, AVR - Pioneer VSX-1020, Speakers - RBH MC-616C MKII Center Channel, RBH MC-6C MKII Bookshelf (fronts), RBH MC-615 In-ceiling surrounds, RBH TS-10AP 200W self-powered sub.
Danabw is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #9242 of 14994 Old 02-18-2016, 07:53 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 7
already answered in previous post... deleting this one......
Corsair05 is offline  
post #9243 of 14994 Old 02-18-2016, 08:04 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex1224 View Post
I have a quickquestion for good people in this forum. I am on my second 75" 850C. Thefirst one had very bad vertical banding and I got a replacement yesterday. Thenew TV has zero bending, but has considerable amount of clouding/light bleed, especiallyin the right bottom corner. Please see attached picture. I understand that it isvery unlikely to get a perfect TV, but what is the general consensus in regardto clouding/light bleed? Is the amount my TV has considered acceptable for this model? Or thisis excessive and needs to be replaced? I did try to fix it using the screen massaging technique,which was suggested on this forum, but it did not help.
I recently just got the same TV. out of the box, I had the banding issue that went away after tweaking settings, then I had a lot of the clouding issues the same as what you have in the picture. A hard reset mostly solved the issue for me (I still have it a little bit, but its hard to see. Hope that helps.
Corey Carroz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #9244 of 14994 Old 02-18-2016, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
thyname's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: N. Virginia
Posts: 623
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw View Post
The TV engages HDR mode on HDR content automatically. You can't select another picture mode when HDR content is playing...the set sees the HDR information in the video feed and switches over.

Given the fact that I CAN switch to another picture mode while watching a 4K disc via k8500 Player on my 65" x850c, does it mean that something is wrong with my setup and I am not actually getting HDR?

And yes, the HDMI port 4 I am watching at is set at Enhanced.

I fully understand your write up on how the HDR works with Amazon built in app in your spreadsheet, and have tested / used successfully

Thanks!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
thyname is offline  
post #9245 of 14994 Old 02-18-2016, 08:16 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by thyname View Post
Given the fact that I CAN switch to another picture mode while watching a 4K disc via k8500 Player on my 65" x850c, does it mean that something is wrong with my setup and I am not actually getting HDR?

And yes, the HDMI port 4 I am watching at is set at Enhanced.

I fully understand your write up on how the HDR works with Amazon built in app in your spreadsheet, and have tested / used successfully

Thanks!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Are you going straight from the K8500 to your Sony? Do you have the latest FW update on the TV?
Corsair05 is offline  
post #9246 of 14994 Old 02-18-2016, 08:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Danabw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,220
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by thyname View Post
Given the fact that I CAN switch to another picture mode while watching a 4K disc via k8500 Player on my 65" x850c, does it mean that something is wrong with my setup and I am not actually getting HDR?

And yes, the HDMI port 4 I am watching at is set at Enhanced.

I fully understand your write up on how the HDR works with Amazon built in app in your spreadsheet, and have tested / used successfully

Thanks!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wasn't sure if you were saying that you had tested HDR mode w/your player. If you want to test if HDR mode is working w/your new K8500, you can use the same test as recommended w/streaming on Amazon.

- Select the HDMI port your player is on - sounds like HDMI4.
- Action menu>Picture adjustments; Select HDR mode
- Set color to Min (essentially B&W
- Exit picture settings

Play a disc on your Samsung player - if it plays back in black and white - HDR mode is working. If you get color, it's not.

As far as being able to change picture mode, I don't have one of the new Samsung players to try myself, my comment on not being able to change modes while content was playing/paused is based on comments from other owners of the player. I would expect that any change you made would be overridden by the TV as soon as you leave the menu, due to the HDR info in the video stream - I don't think the TV can ignore that.

2015 Sony X850C FAQ: Recommended Picture settings, 3D FAQ, HDR FAQ, DirecTV 4K Ready FAQ, Troubleshooting & common problems; Dropbox Link || Alternate Google Drive FAQ Link. || My gear: TV - Sony XBR75X850C, BD - Sony BDP S350, AVR - Pioneer VSX-1020, Speakers - RBH MC-616C MKII Center Channel, RBH MC-6C MKII Bookshelf (fronts), RBH MC-615 In-ceiling surrounds, RBH TS-10AP 200W self-powered sub.
Danabw is offline  
post #9247 of 14994 Old 02-18-2016, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
thyname's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: N. Virginia
Posts: 623
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw View Post
Wasn't sure if you were saying that you had tested HDR mode w/your player. If you want to test if HDR mode is working w/your new K8500, you can use the same test as recommended w/streaming on Amazon.



- Select the HDMI port your player is on - sounds like HDMI4.

- Action menu>Picture adjustments; Select HDR mode

- Set color to Min (essentially B&W

- Exit picture settings



Play a disc on your Samsung player - if it plays back in black and white - HDR mode is working. If you get color, it's not.



As far as being able to change picture mode, I don't have one of the new Samsung players to try myself, my comment on not being able to change modes while content was playing/paused is based on comments from other owners of the player. I would expect that any change you made would be overridden by the TV as soon as you leave the menu, due to the HDR info in the video stream - I don't think the TV can ignore that.

I just tried the test that you suggested.

I get black and white.

However, I am a bit confused as the test using the Amazon app in your spreadsheet indicates that the picture should be color after turning color to Minimum in HDR Video mode.

By the way, with the k8500 player, the movie keeps playing while changes on picture mode are done.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
thyname is offline  
post #9248 of 14994 Old 02-18-2016, 08:31 PM
Member
 
Alex1224's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Carroz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex1224 View Post
I have a quickquestion for good people in this forum. I am on my second 75" 850C. Thefirst one had very bad vertical banding and I got a replacement yesterday. Thenew TV has zero bending, but has considerable amount of clouding/light bleed, especiallyin the right bottom corner. Please see attached picture. I understand that it isvery unlikely to get a perfect TV, but what is the general consensus in regardto clouding/light bleed? Is the amount my TV has considered acceptable for this model? Or thisis excessive and needs to be replaced? I did try to fix it using the screen massaging technique,which was suggested on this forum, but it did not help.
I recently just got the same TV. out of the box, I had the banding issue that went away after tweaking settings, then I had a lot of the clouding issues the same as what you have in the picture. A hard reset mostly solved the issue for me (I still have it a little bit, but its hard to see. Hope that helps.
Thank you for your response. I will try to reset the TV. Is hard reset done when you hold the power button for few seconds till the tv resets or is it something else?
Thank you
Alex1224 is offline  
post #9249 of 14994 Old 02-18-2016, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member
 
thyname's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: N. Virginia
Posts: 623
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Sony 2015 XBR-55X850C / XBR-65X850C / XBR-75X850C owners club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair05 View Post
Are you going straight from the K8500 to your Sony? Do you have the latest FW update on the TV?

I am using a Sony soundbar (HT-CT780) that is HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0a compatible.

Software version PKG3.307.0101NAB


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by thyname; 02-18-2016 at 08:43 PM.
thyname is offline  
post #9250 of 14994 Old 02-18-2016, 08:36 PM
Member
 
Alex1224's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex1224 View Post
I have tried many settings suggested in this thread, but they were always too dark for me. My settings are:
Brightness 40
Contrast Max
Black 50
Gamma +2
Temperature Cool


I am attaching a new picture where the camera did not mess up the exposure.


Thank you
On my 75- I run:
Brightness 28
Contrast Max
Black 47
Gamma 0
Temp Neutral

I think the combo of +2 gamma & Temp. cool is causing some of your problems. Also what are you using for Motion? Try "Standard"
Gerry
Thank you for your suggestion. I have tried your settings and it did improve the clouding/light bleed by maybe 20%, but the picture looks a bit dark for me. I will have to get used it.
Alex1224 is offline  
post #9251 of 14994 Old 02-18-2016, 08:45 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by thyname View Post
I am using a Sony soundbar (HT-CT780) that is HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0a compatible.

Software version PKG3.307.0101NAB


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Can you try going straight into the TV and see if it auto engages HDR Video ?
Corsair05 is offline  
post #9252 of 14994 Old 02-18-2016, 08:52 PM
Advanced Member
 
thyname's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: N. Virginia
Posts: 623
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair05 View Post
Can you try going straight into the TV and see if it auto engages HDR Video ?

I did. Don't see any difference in picture. How can I tell whether the disc auto engages HDR video? It still let me change to any of the picture modes.

Besides, the second test on the spreadsheet (the vice versa one) does not appear to work


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
thyname is offline  
post #9253 of 14994 Old 02-18-2016, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Danabw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,220
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by thyname View Post
I just tried the test that you suggested.

I get black and white.

However, I am a bit confused as the test using the Amazon app in your spreadsheet indicates that the picture should be color after turning color to Minimum in HDR Video mode.

By the way, with the k8500 player, the movie keeps playing while changes on picture mode are done.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The test in the spreadsheet says set your picture mode to Vivid, then set the color setting in Vivid to Min, and play back HDR and if the HDR content shows in color, then you know HRD mode is working.

The results you got from the test I told you to do indicate that HDR mode is auto-engaging and working w/your player/TV combo.

It's the kinda the obverse of the test I suggested to you just now.

I've just added the test that I recommended to you (setting HDR to B&W) to the FAQ as well.

2015 Sony X850C FAQ: Recommended Picture settings, 3D FAQ, HDR FAQ, DirecTV 4K Ready FAQ, Troubleshooting & common problems; Dropbox Link || Alternate Google Drive FAQ Link. || My gear: TV - Sony XBR75X850C, BD - Sony BDP S350, AVR - Pioneer VSX-1020, Speakers - RBH MC-616C MKII Center Channel, RBH MC-6C MKII Bookshelf (fronts), RBH MC-615 In-ceiling surrounds, RBH TS-10AP 200W self-powered sub.

Last edited by Danabw; 02-18-2016 at 09:01 PM.
Danabw is offline  
post #9254 of 14994 Old 02-18-2016, 09:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
thyname's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: N. Virginia
Posts: 623
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw View Post
The test in the spreadsheet says set your picture mode to Vivid, then set the color setting in Vivid to Min, and play back HDR and if the HDR content shows in color, then you know HRD mode is working.



The results you got from the test I told you to do indicate that HDR mode is auto-engaging and working w/your player/TV combo.



It's the kinda the obverse of the test I suggested to you just now.



I've just added the test that I recommended to you (setting HDR to B&W) to the FAQ as well.

So weird. I played with changing the input from the soundbar to various inputs on the tv, and all of the sudden, the Picture mode grayed out at HDR Video and I am unable to change. I could swear that I was able to change it on the same HDMI input on the tv just moments ago...


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
thyname is offline  
post #9255 of 14994 Old 02-18-2016, 09:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DoctorM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: South Florida
Posts: 2,151
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 869 Post(s)
Liked: 263
I've been bumping up against something lately and wanted to share my trouble shooting findings for anyone else effected.

Since the last firmware update I've had a lot of MKV files that lock up, crash, reports as unplayable (and then become playable when you try again), and other random things. The errors vary and I've found both the Sony Video App, VLC and Kodi to be susceptible. (Kodi frequently reacts the worst.)

A lot of times when I find a time point in a file that does it, I can reproduce it at that point repeatedly on our 55" and 75" sets.

With trial and error I found the solution.
I've gotten in the habit of remuxing all MKV files before use with the options "--engage no_cue_duration --engage no_cue_relative_position".
Sony's BDP-S790 BD player didn't like these newer muxing features. They were added a few years back to MKVtoolNix and are on by default.
Disabling them prevents FF/REW problems when playing media via USB or DLNA on the Sony BD player.

The X850C up until now has been agnostic and could play pretty much anything thrown at it.
THAT IS NO LONGER THE CASE. If you set "--engage no_cue_duration --engage no_cue_relative_position" you are likely to have playback issues. Chances seem higher if you have embedded subtitles.

Just a heads up for anyone else having problems.
Danabw likes this.

Last edited by DoctorM; 02-19-2016 at 12:05 AM.
DoctorM is online now  
post #9256 of 14994 Old 02-18-2016, 10:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Danabw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,220
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by thyname View Post
So weird. I played with changing the input from the soundbar to various inputs on the tv, and all of the sudden, the Picture mode grayed out at HDR Video and I am unable to change. I could swear that I was able to change it on the same HDMI input on the tv just moments ago...


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Whatever HDMI port your attached to needs to be set to Enhanced or Auto.

2015 Sony X850C FAQ: Recommended Picture settings, 3D FAQ, HDR FAQ, DirecTV 4K Ready FAQ, Troubleshooting & common problems; Dropbox Link || Alternate Google Drive FAQ Link. || My gear: TV - Sony XBR75X850C, BD - Sony BDP S350, AVR - Pioneer VSX-1020, Speakers - RBH MC-616C MKII Center Channel, RBH MC-6C MKII Bookshelf (fronts), RBH MC-615 In-ceiling surrounds, RBH TS-10AP 200W self-powered sub.
Danabw is offline  
post #9257 of 14994 Old 02-19-2016, 12:48 AM
Advanced Member
 
virtualrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 973
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 845 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kfan View Post
Thanks for everyone's input. Shortly after I read Corsair05's post I once again fired up the TV and Samsung and played 'The Martian' 4k disc. It was indeed displaying a 3840x2160 image, so there was no problem there. The picture had bold colors, but little shadow detail and definitely no HDR display. Going into the Picture menu of my Sony I saw that it had set itself up for Vivid. I changed that to HDR and the resulting picture was extremely dark; in fact, darker than it had been before. I then changed it to Standard, which allowed me to see all details, but the picture was badly washed out. I just quit at that point.


I checked the player's settings, but I wouldn't know what to adjust. Deep Color is off, if that means anything. But in any event, a watchable, unadjusted 4k picture should be the norm, as the average customer wouldn't know what to adjust out of the box. Fine-tuning to taste is understandable, but an impressive 4k picture should be the standard right off the bat. And as I've said, the very first time I played a 4k movie, it was a great experience, but then everything went south.


At this point, then, I will indeed contact Samsung Customer Support, and if that leads nowhere, I will call Sony. If nothing can be done on either end, I will contact Best Buy to arrange an exchange of models, or to get a refund. At least I did see once what a 4k disc picture looks like, and I was impressed. It's only going to get better, so I'd like to be ready for it.


Thanks again for all help.

Sounds like you need some UHD HDR test patterns. It definitely sounds like levels are out of adjustment, but you're just throwing darts at a wall without any kind of test patterns. Exchanging your player is a start, maybe it's got issues outputting the right range, especially if it changed without doing anything.

However, your TV sounds all over the place as well. Have you checked the HDMI levels for the input you're using? I think it's called HDMI dynamic range or something? Set it to Auto. What about color space? Black Levels? Gamma?

Have you got a source like a media player that plays back regular video files? If so grab the AVS test patterns from elsewhere here on the forums and make sure you know at least one picture mode and one source is properly adjusted so you have a frame of reference.

Another thought... get the same movie (Martian or whatever) on both sources (good calibrated source) and UHD and pause them on the same scene and the adjust the HDR mode to match or exceed the non UHD source.

Just some thoughts. But start with a player swap. Easy thing to rule out.

SONY 75X850C | YAMAHA RX-A2050 | 5 DAYTON AUDIO APA150 | KLIPSCH RP 5.2.4
virtualrain is offline  
post #9258 of 14994 Old 02-19-2016, 12:52 AM
Advanced Member
 
virtualrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 973
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 845 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
I've been bumping up against something lately and wanted to share my trouble shooting findings for anyone else effected.

Since the last firmware update I've had a lot of MKV files that lock up, crash, reports as unplayable (and then become playable when you try again), and other random things. The errors vary and I've found both the Sony Video App, VLC and Kodi to be susceptible. (Kodi frequently reacts the worst.)

A lot of times when I find a time point in a file that does it, I can reproduce it at that point repeatedly on our 55" and 75" sets.

With trial and error I found the solution.
I've gotten in the habit of remuxing all MKV files before use with the options "--engage no_cue_duration --engage no_cue_relative_position".
Sony's BDP-S790 BD player didn't like these newer muxing features. They were added a few years back to MKVtoolNix and are on by default.
Disabling them prevents FF/REW problems when playing media via USB or DLNA on the Sony BD player.

The X850C up until now has been agnostic and could play pretty much anything thrown at it.
THAT IS NO LONGER THE CASE. If you set "--engage no_cue_duration --engage no_cue_relative_position" you are likely to have playback issues. Chances seem higher if you have embedded subtitles.

Just a heads up for anyone else having problems.

Have you considered getting a NUC or Chromebox or something and running OpenELEC/Kodi? I do that with a Mac Mini and treat the TV like a dumb display. I swear I will live longer as a result.

SONY 75X850C | YAMAHA RX-A2050 | 5 DAYTON AUDIO APA150 | KLIPSCH RP 5.2.4
virtualrain is offline  
post #9259 of 14994 Old 02-19-2016, 02:05 AM
Member
 
eculley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw View Post
Well said!

@eculley , see two posts above yours for a link to the X850C FAQ that you can see on mobile or in my sig below if you're on a laptop/desktop computer.

Download and open the excel file and see the HDR FAQ tab in the document. Lots of other info there to get you up to speed on X850C features, functions, settings, and issues, and avoid you having to ask questions we've already covered repeatedly.

Enjoy your TV!
Odd. When watching the built in Amazon app and known HDR content (Red Oaks), the display stays on Cinema Pro. Also, I cannot figure out how to open that file on my PC. I have excel viewer and it is not working. I do not own a copy of office.
eculley is offline  
post #9260 of 14994 Old 02-19-2016, 03:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ggw2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 1,680
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by eculley View Post
Odd. When watching the built in Amazon app and known HDR content (Red Oaks), the display stays on Cinema Pro. Also, I cannot figure out how to open that file on my PC. I have excel viewer and it is not working. I do not own a copy of office.
You can not check the picture mode with the Amazon app. The video stops when pushing the Action button and the TV changes back to whatever mode you normally use (in your case Cinema Pro). If you downloaded Dana excel file to your PC, you can install "open office" on your PC which is free and it works with Microsoft word/excel/etc files. Great program...
Gerry
ggw2000 is offline  
post #9261 of 14994 Old 02-19-2016, 04:01 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp787 View Post
yeah, but it doesn't happen most of the time, right?
I believe it does but it depends on the scene. There are scenes darker than others and on bright scenes the issue is not visible at all. I mean, if I pick a particular scene of a movie where this happened one time, it will always happen on that same scene.
Nazgulled is offline  
post #9262 of 14994 Old 02-19-2016, 04:31 AM
Member
 
ccg1978's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccg1978 View Post
just dropped by Best Buy over lunch to check out the 850C. I asked if they could switch it to normal cable so I could check it out and they said no. Sony gives them a USB with 4K content and they can only use that. Oh well.

How does normal cable look on the TV? I'm mainly worried about hockey as I watch a lot of don't want the DSE.
bump due to no response...
ccg1978 is offline  
post #9263 of 14994 Old 02-19-2016, 05:05 AM
Member
 
GBarber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw View Post
As far as being able to change picture mode, I don't have one of the new Samsung players to try myself, my comment on not being able to change modes while content was playing/paused is based on comments from other owners of the player. I would expect that any change you made would be overridden by the TV as soon as you leave the menu, due to the HDR info in the video stream - I don't think the TV can ignore that.
I did some testing using my Samsung blu-ray player connected directly to my TV (HDMI 2; enhanced format) and my cable box connected to the TV via my AVR to HDMI 4 (standard format) that you might want to add to the FAQ.

1) If the TV is on and set to HDMI 4 (standard format) when I power on the Samsung blu-ray player and I then change the input on the TV to HDMI2 (enhanced format) to play a UHD/HDR disc, it does not appear that the correct video headers are either sent by the blu-ray player or received by the TV. The TV does not automatically shift into HDR mode, the video playback is wrong (contrast and colors), and I can change the video mode to anything I want under Action Menu>Picture Adjustments but none of the selected modes look right.
2) If the TV is on and set to HDMI 2 (enhanced format) before I power on the Sansung blu-ray player and I then play a UHD/HDR disk, the TV immediately changes the picture mode to HDR Video. The picture clearly looks like an HDR video (contrast and colors) and if I go to Action Menu>Picture Adjustments the picture mode is grayed out and unchangeable from HDR Video.

Therefore, if you are playing an HDR blu-ray disc on the Samsung player and the TV does not automatically change the picture mode to HDR video and/or allows you to change the picture mode while the video is playing, there is something wrong that is preventing your Sony TV from recognizing and switching to the appropriate mode to display the video. It may be as simple as making sure the Samsung player sees that the device it is connected to has enhanced format capability when it is powered on.
Danabw likes this.

Last edited by GBarber; 02-19-2016 at 06:46 AM.
GBarber is offline  
post #9264 of 14994 Old 02-19-2016, 05:28 AM
Newbie
 
jadney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccg1978 View Post
bump due to no response...
I've only had the 55" version for a few weeks but HD cable (Comcast) looks about as good as you can expect from digital cable. The display itself is a pretty good bang for your buck if the features line up with what you want and your price range.

That said, it won't look as good as OTA HDTV, bluray, or a high quality/high bitrate video file from a USB stick or computer. But that's more just because digital cable is compressed to hell and back on a lot of channels/cable providers.

In my short time with the TV, it's done as good a job as can be expected in displaying the content that's delivered and gives you a few options you can turn up or down (or off) to attempt to tweak or post-process the image to improve motion or contrast. I find in general that stuff is a bit more personal preference since some people like motion smoother or less processed-looking and people have different preferences in terms of how bright and colorful the image is.
Danabw and ccg1978 like this.
jadney is offline  
post #9265 of 14994 Old 02-19-2016, 05:57 AM
Member
 
C0der7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccg1978 View Post
bump due to no response...
Sorry you got no response,

I have Time Warner, which has a mix of SD, 720p and 1080p channels. The 1080p content looks okay, but to be honest, over the air digital blows most of my cable channels away.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk
ccg1978 likes this.

Last edited by C0der7; 02-19-2016 at 06:44 AM.
C0der7 is offline  
post #9266 of 14994 Old 02-19-2016, 06:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bp787's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,849
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazgulled View Post
I believe it does but it depends on the scene. There are scenes darker than others and on bright scenes the issue is not visible at all. I mean, if I pick a particular scene of a movie where this happened one time, it will always happen on that same scene.
yeah, i mean that it only happens on specific content. I guestimated that it happened on about 30-40 percent of content. And it ALWAYS happened in the same spots on that content.

Sony xbr65x850c Side Blooming test clips:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...br65x850c.xlsx
bp787 is online now  
post #9267 of 14994 Old 02-19-2016, 07:15 AM
Member
 
msarro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Long post, but these are my experiences after 3 hours on day 1 of having the tv.

TV Arrived yesterday (xbr65x850c)! Amazon's white glove delivery service actually did all of the unpacking and stand installation, and powered on to check the screen.

I seem to have lucked out (mostly) as far as picture quality. The only vertical bars I see are on solid black backgrounds (I ran color breakin slides for a bit to see what they would tell me). They're super thin, and probably follow the backlight array. It's not really noticable. The only visual issue I have found has been a tiny bit of flashlight effect in the lower right corner, and again it is only visible on solid black backgrounds. I'll try rubbing it out to see if it goes away. I just don't want to see it get worse.

The remotes feel incredibly crappy in construction, but they do seem to work pretty well. They were almost immediately replaced by my harmony elite. They'll be retired to my "drawer full o remotes" once I have everything working as I like.

Overall, my experience was excellent with the setup. I created a new gmail account for my wife and I to use (so our personal gmails weren't tied to the tv, because that just felt weird to me in a house with multiple people). Now I have to go through and favorite all of my favorite youtube channels there, and she can add hers.

During the initial setup, it prompted me if I wanted to run updates, so I did. Now I'm a bit concerned I shouldn't have done that, because I'm seeing reports that there are different types of update, and doing them in the wrong order can break things. I'll see what happens tonight.

Viewing angle is about what I expected, but sadly it does get a little washed out on the edges if you go more than 15 degrees (i'm guessing) away from directly in front of the TV. On our sectional couch, that's a little annoying because the side bench and chaise both fall at about that angle, so viewing just isn't as great there. It was enough that my wife commented that things looked washed out and blurry when she was sitting next to me on the side. Some of this did go away once we took away the brightness control. Actually, graphics quality seemed kind of dull and muddy off the bat, but turning off automatic backlite control seemed to help a lot with that. We're coming from a 1080p samsung plasma where the viewing angle was essentially anywhere in the room.

I find it interesting that every HDMI port defaults to "game". The colors on this setting are kind of dull and muted. At first I was worried, but if I hit the "football" button, everything looks beautiful and bright and vibrant, so I know the tv is capable of making things look awesome. I think I just need to find a set of configs that works well for our den instead of the defaults.

I was also surprised that there wasn't a "PC" mode for HDMI-DVI input. Luckily it seemed to realize that a PC was connected as I didn't have to do any scaling or overscan tweaks.

I played a SBS film, and after some fumbling I found the 3d field in the activity menu. Sadly, i tried pairing my samsung ssg-4100GB active 3d glasses, but they will not pair. Holding them right in front of the tv and pressing the sync button, they flash green, and then red. No matter what, I can't seem to get them to sync. I'll keep trying because I don't wanna drop 40$ on another 2 pair if I don't have to.

The upscaling looks really great on most of the test videos I tried, EXCEPT
(I have a full res version I use for testing). Once you get about 3/4ths of the way into the video, the birds that were still clear on my 1080p plasma are now tiny little white blocks. This isn't a huge thing, just something I took notice of. I sit about 11 feet from my TV, so at that distance I can't really tell the difference between a bird and a white block anyway.

Things I'm going to do tonight:
1) Sideload es file explorer, xfinity tv go, and udemy
2) Start playing with display configs to try and brighten up colors a bit
3) Try pairing my bluetooth keyboard/trackpad (not a huge deal, but it will probably be required for udemy and xfinity)
4) Disable some of the extra UI elements that I won't use
5) Set up bravia sync for my ps3 and ps4. It will be really nice not to see a "please turn on your playstation" message on my harmony elite when I run a playstation activity if it works like I hope it will.

Overall, my impressions after a mere 3 hours are pretty good. I know there is a lot to learn still, so I don't wanna judge too harshly. I also think I will need to dive into that FAQ a bit more.

Last edited by msarro; 02-19-2016 at 07:31 AM.
msarro is offline  
post #9268 of 14994 Old 02-19-2016, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Danabw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,220
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post
You can not check the picture mode with the Amazon app. The video stops when pushing the Action button and the TV changes back to whatever mode you normally use (in your case Cinema Pro). If you downloaded Dana excel file to your PC, you can install "open office" on your PC which is free and it works with Microsoft word/excel/etc files. Great program...
Gerry
WPS office is another free MS compatible office option - covers excel, word, powerpoint, etc.

https://www.wps.com/wps-office-personal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccg1978 View Post
bump due to no response...
I didn't respond since I don't watch hockey, but I watch a several shows a little football, a lot of tennis, and mix of other things on Time Warner on my 75" and it looks great. I don't let the DVR do any upscaling, it sends native to the TV (480/720/1080) and the TV upscales. When I initially forgot to change the settings and had the box set to upscale everything to 1080i it was not as good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBarber View Post
I did some testing using my Samsung blu-ray player connected directly to my TV (HDMI 2; enhanced format) and my cable box connected to the TV via my AVR to HDMI 4 (standard format) that you might want to add to the FAQ.

1) If the TV is on and set to HDMI 4 (standard format) when I power on the Samsung blu-ray player and I then change the input on the TV to HDMI2 (enhanced format) to play a UHD/HDR disc, it does not appear that the correct video headers are either sent by the blu-ray player or received by the TV. The TV does not automatically shift into HDR mode, the video playback is wrong (contrast and colors), and I can change the video mode to anything I want under Action Menu>Picture Adjustments but none of the selected modes look right.
2) If the TV is on and set to HDMI 2 (enhanced format) before I power on the Sansung blu-ray player and I then play a UHD/HDR disk, the TV immediately changes the picture mode to HDR Video. The picture clearly looks like an HDR video (contrast and colors) and if I go to Action Menu>Picture Adjustments the picture mode is grayed out and unchangeable from HDR Video.

Therefore, if you are playing an HDR blu-ray disc on the Samsung player and the TV does not automatically change the picture mode to HDR video and/or allows you to change the picture mode while the video is playing, there is something wrong that is preventing your Sony TV from recognizing and switching to the appropriate mode to display the video. It may be as simple as making sure the Samsung player sees that the device it is connected to has enhanced format capability when it is powered on.
Thanks for doing this testing! More HDR growing pains...that could help explain some of the reported issues/inconsistencies, and help k8500 owners get the desired results. Will FAQ your test & results this AM...you're FAQ'd!

We need someone running the K8500 through a 4K/HDR receiver to the TV to do some similar testing and report back. See if similar differences occur when starting the receiver w/the K8500 on and its port selected on the receiver, or switching on the K8500 after the receiver is already on, etc. Any volunteers?!

2015 Sony X850C FAQ: Recommended Picture settings, 3D FAQ, HDR FAQ, DirecTV 4K Ready FAQ, Troubleshooting & common problems; Dropbox Link || Alternate Google Drive FAQ Link. || My gear: TV - Sony XBR75X850C, BD - Sony BDP S350, AVR - Pioneer VSX-1020, Speakers - RBH MC-616C MKII Center Channel, RBH MC-6C MKII Bookshelf (fronts), RBH MC-615 In-ceiling surrounds, RBH TS-10AP 200W self-powered sub.

Last edited by Danabw; 02-19-2016 at 07:27 AM.
Danabw is offline  
post #9269 of 14994 Old 02-19-2016, 07:33 AM
Newbie
 
j59337's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Is your Youtube app displaying a 2160p resolution option??

Has anyone here noticed if your native Youtube app on the X850C is still playing 4k/2160p?

When I first got my TV a few months ago, I played a bunch of Youtube clips and could have sworn that in the video quality drop down icon on the bottom right, there was a resolution option for "2160p."

For the last few weeks, the highest resolution option seems to be "1080p." I've triple checked that the clips I'm using are actually 4K by playing it on a computer and verifying that there is a 2160p option when played on the browser. Some test clips were even uploaded at 4K @ 60fps. But when I play the same clip from the native app, 1080p is still the highest resolution option.

So now I'm wondering if (1) I'm actually getting a 4K signal, but the Youtube app has a glitch that simply displays the resolution at 1080p, or (2) some recent update killed my ability to get 2160p altogether on the Youtube app.
j59337 is offline  
post #9270 of 14994 Old 02-19-2016, 07:50 AM
Newbie
 
jadney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadney View Post
...blah blah long winded post...

Anyway, something that happened the other day that I've not been able to figure out. After the most recent firmware update, I was playing around with picture settings as I've been known to do and I saw an option I've not seen since.

...blah blah long winded post...

Anyway, the day after I updated, I was watching something on my PC and went to mess with picture settings once again because dark areas seemed to be a bit too crushed/contrasty.

...blah blah long winded post...

I had the option for "X-tended dynamic range".

I didn't think this was an option on this model and I had never seen it before. At first I wondered if it was triggered by the PC actually working properly and eking out just enough bandwidth over HDMI to finally open this option but when I went to the home screen and watched something in the Amazon app, it was still there.

...blah blah long winded post...

Except now I don't have the "X-tended dynamic range" option anymore. I've tried all the presets. I tried my PC as the source. I even fired up the same video on the PC. Nada. Just the usual enhanced contrast/enhanced black options I was used to.

...blah blah long winded post...
Bumping and trimming down my recent question. Anyone know why I saw this "X-tended dynamic range" option for an hour and haven't seen it again since rebooting? Glitch? Or something I should be seeing if the content and preferences are set up correctly?
jadney is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
4k suhd , android , firmware , hdr , ir blaster , reboot , XBR-55X850C , xbr-65x850c xbr-75x850c

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off