Sony 2015 XBR-55X850C / XBR-65X850C / XBR-75X850C owners club - Page 310 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11990Likes

post #9271 of 14995 Old 02-19-2016, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by msarro View Post
Long post, but these are my experiences after 3 hours on day 1 of having the tv.

During the initial setup, it prompted me if I wanted to run updates, so I did. Now I'm a bit concerned I shouldn't have done that, because I'm seeing reports that there are different types of update, and doing them in the wrong order can break things. I'll see what happens tonight.
There's only one update available at a time, and it's cumulative, includes previous updates. You should be fine w/the update you took, which was the February 9 update.

Quote:
I find it interesting that every HDMI port defaults to "game". The colors on this setting are kind of dull and muted. At first I was worried, but if I hit the "football" button, everything looks beautiful and bright and vibrant, so I know the tv is capable of making things look awesome. I think I just need to find a set of configs that works well for our den instead of the defaults.
I've never seen this myself. I don't remember any of my HDMI ports defaulting to Game. Did you even have a game device attached to your TV. Seems odd.

Quote:
I was also surprised that there wasn't a "PC" mode for HDMI-DVI input. Luckily it seemed to realize that a PC was connected as I didn't have to do any scaling or overscan tweaks.
If you need to, you'll find information on PC/overscan settings on the Read this First tab of the X850C FAQ in my sig.

Quote:
I played a SBS film, and after some fumbling I found the 3d field in the activity menu. Sadly, i tried pairing my samsung ssg-4100GB active 3d glasses, but they will not pair. Holding them right in front of the tv and pressing the sync button, they flash green, and then red. No matter what, I can't seem to get them to sync. I'll keep trying because I don't wanna drop 40$ on another 2 pair if I don't have to.
We have feedback from owners that the 5150 and 3100 Samsung glasses work w/the X850C, but no feedback on the 4100. You'd think they'd most like work fine given the other Samsung models work. Make sure the glasses are fully charged up - there has been some issues reported about some sensitivity about glasses pairing w/the TV when not fully charged.

Quote:
Things I'm going to do tonight:
1) Sideload es file explorer, xfinity tv go, and udemy
You don't need to sideload es File Explorer, there is an AndroidTV version in the play store you can install. Not sure about the other two apps you refer to...

Quote:
2) Start playing with display configs to try and brighten up colors a bit
See the Picture settings info on the Read this First and Picture Settings tabs in the 850C FAQ for some info and suggested picture settings.

Quote:
3) Try pairing my bluetooth keyboard/trackpad (not a huge deal, but it will probably be required for udemy and xfinity)
Should be fine, I have a BT keyboard/mouse paired w/my TV, plugged the dongle into one of the TV's USB ports.

Quote:
5) Set up bravia sync for my ps3 and ps4. It will be really nice not to see a "please turn on your playstation" message on my harmony elite when I run a playstation activity if it works like I hope it will.
See the Read this First tab in the FAQ for info on setting up ARC if you need any help.

There is a kind of odd issue w/Harmony remotes and these TVs that can occur when you start activities from the TV home screen...see the Troubleshooting tab in the FAQ and search on Harmony. There is a workaround that I've explained there w/pics. If you run into the issue you may want or need to implement the work-around.

Quote:
Overall, my impressions after a mere 3 hours are pretty good. I know there is a lot to learn still, so I don't wanna judge too harshly. I also think I will need to dive into that FAQ a bit more.
Enjoy your set...sounds like you have made a very good start.

2015 Sony X850C FAQ: Recommended Picture settings, 3D FAQ, HDR FAQ, DirecTV 4K Ready FAQ, Troubleshooting & common problems; Dropbox Link || Alternate Google Drive FAQ Link. || My gear: TV - Sony XBR75X850C, BD - Sony BDP S350, AVR - Pioneer VSX-1020, Speakers - RBH MC-616C MKII Center Channel, RBH MC-6C MKII Bookshelf (fronts), RBH MC-615 In-ceiling surrounds, RBH TS-10AP 200W self-powered sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9272 of 14995 Old 02-19-2016, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadney View Post
Bumping and trimming down my recent question. Anyone know why I saw this "X-tended dynamic range" option for an hour and haven't seen it again since rebooting? Glitch? Or something I should be seeing if the content and preferences are set up correctly?
The only dynamic range setting I'm aware of is:

Dynamic Range (menu path: Home>Settings>Picture and Display>Dynamic Range) Choices: Auto, Full, Limited

Is that what you're looking for? See the Read this First tab of the X850C FAQ and search on Dynamic Range for full info on this setting...most users should use limited or auto.

2015 Sony X850C FAQ: Recommended Picture settings, 3D FAQ, HDR FAQ, DirecTV 4K Ready FAQ, Troubleshooting & common problems; Dropbox Link || Alternate Google Drive FAQ Link. || My gear: TV - Sony XBR75X850C, BD - Sony BDP S350, AVR - Pioneer VSX-1020, Speakers - RBH MC-616C MKII Center Channel, RBH MC-6C MKII Bookshelf (fronts), RBH MC-615 In-ceiling surrounds, RBH TS-10AP 200W self-powered sub.
post #9273 of 14995 Old 02-19-2016, 08:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw View Post
The only dynamic range setting I'm aware of is:

Dynamic Range (menu path: Home>Settings>Picture and Display>Dynamic Range) Choices: Auto, Full, Limited

Is that what you're looking for? See the Read this First tab of the X850C FAQ and search on Dynamic Range for full info on this setting...most users should use limited or auto.
Oh, I've read the FAQ and that's why this was sorta confusing. It specifically said "X-tended dynamic range" but the TV in general was acting up so I rebooted and haven't seen the option since.

This was the day after the most recent firmware update so I am probably chalking it up to a glitch where some wrong profile or bit of code was loaded incorrectly. From what I understand, that option isn't available on this model so perhaps it was unused code meant only to load on other models or just part of their general system image that's not meant to show up on this particular device.

Either way I wish I'd have taken a picture for posterity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9274 of 14995 Old 02-19-2016, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j59337 View Post
Has anyone here noticed if your native Youtube app on the X850C is still playing 4k/2160p?

When I first got my TV a few months ago, I played a bunch of Youtube clips and could have sworn that in the video quality drop down icon on the bottom right, there was a resolution option for "2160p."

For the last few weeks, the highest resolution option seems to be "1080p." I've triple checked that the clips I'm using are actually 4K by playing it on a computer and verifying that there is a 2160p option when played on the browser. Some test clips were even uploaded at 4K @ 60fps. But when I play the same clip from the native app, 1080p is still the highest resolution option.

So now I'm wondering if (1) I'm actually getting a 4K signal, but the Youtube app has a glitch that simply displays the resolution at 1080p, or (2) some recent update killed my ability to get 2160p altogether on the Youtube app.
Are you using the "Stats for nerds" setting in the YouTube app to see the resolution?

When I play a 4K video on Youtube (searched for 4K video on youtube, played the Costa Rica one), 2160 is an option in the resolution options (the little "HD" icon at the lower right when you show the playback controls), and stats for nerds reports it is 2160 when I select 2160.

If the video you are playing back wasn't uploaded in 4K resolution, of course you're not going to have a 2160 option. Most videos on Youtube are going to have a max resolution of 1080p.

Of course anything that the TV plays that is less than 2160 is going to get upscaled to 2160 by the TV when you play it.

post #9275 of 14995 Old 02-19-2016, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadney View Post
Oh, I've read the FAQ and that's why this was sorta confusing. It specifically said "X-tended dynamic range" but the TV in general was acting up so I rebooted and haven't seen the option since.

This was the day after the most recent firmware update so I am probably chalking it up to a glitch where some wrong profile or bit of code was loaded incorrectly. From what I understand, that option isn't available on this model so perhaps it was unused code meant only to load on other models or just part of their general system image that's not meant to show up on this particular device.

Either way I wish I'd have taken a picture for posterity.
OK...or could have been a message from one of your connected devices, possibly. If it comes back and you can snap a pic that could be interesting.

post #9276 of 14995 Old 02-19-2016, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
OK...or could have been a message from one of your connected devices, possibly. If it comes back and you can snap a pic that could be interesting.
Nope. It was definitely in the picture settings. It was in the space under "brightness" where I usually see "black adjust" and "advanced contrast enhancer".

First I thought it was either a new feature or something that only shows up when sending a properly configured wide gamut/higher color depth signal and that my PC was finally sending 4:4:4/10bit. But at the same time, I was having issues with EPG and remote responsiveness so I just rebooted. Fixed the issues but also fixed whatever "bug" showed me those options to begin with.

I waited a few days and messed with some things before posting here but I figured if anyone had seen it or knew what it was, it would be in this thread. Alternately, if anyone would be at all interested in a random image setting bug, it would also be in this thread
Danabw likes this.
post #9277 of 14995 Old 02-19-2016, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Are you using the "Stats for nerds" setting in the YouTube app to see the resolution?

When I play a 4K video on Youtube (searched for 4K video on youtube, played the Costa Rica one), 2160 is an option in the resolution options (the little "HD" icon at the lower right when you show the playback controls), and stats for nerds reports it is 2160 when I select 2160.

If the video you are playing back wasn't uploaded in 4K resolution, of course you're not going to have a 2160 option. Most videos on Youtube are going to have a max resolution of 1080p.

Of course anything that the TV plays that is less than 2160 is going to get upscaled to 2160 by the TV when you play it.
I didn't know about Stats for Nerds, but just enabled that from my phone app. I'll check what it says tonight and report back. But I've played the same 4K Costa Rica clip as you before (the one featuring a green lizard, I assume) and in the "HD" icon, my highest option is 1080. The fact that you have a 2160 option does not bode well for me.

I noticed that someone asked this same question on Rtings, but didn't get an answer either, except to confirm that the test clip was 4K: "The YouTube app in my Sony 55XBRX850C TV shows HD options till 1080p.There is no 1440p or 2160p options available. The internet is connected through LAN and I have a 75 mbps connection. Please help!"

I'm on a 25mbps connection but I don't think bandwidth is the issue if someone else with a 75 mbps is experiencing the same problem. Plus I'm certain that it was displaying 2160 a few months ago.

If anyone else on this forum is also encountering this, please chime in!
post #9278 of 14995 Old 02-19-2016, 09:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
We need someone running the K8500 through a 4K/HDR receiver to the TV to do some similar testing and report back. See if similar differences occur when starting the receiver w/the K8500 on and its port selected on the receiver, or switching on the K8500 after the receiver is already on, etc. Any volunteers?!
I have a 2015 Sony AVR (STR-DN860) which is supposed to support HDCP 2.2 (4K compatible). However, I think the HDMI ports of the receiver suffer from the same issue with HDMI HDR that affected the 850c until the recent (February) update. In any event, connecting my Samsung blu-ray player to my AVR and then to the TV currently does not support 4K/HDR playback. Instead, I get a security message advising me to upgrade my equipment for a better image. Hopefully, Sony will issue a firmware upgrade for the AVR to enable HDMI 2.0a security, at which point I'll be happy to test this.
aaronwt and Danabw like this.
post #9279 of 14995 Old 02-19-2016, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j59337 View Post
I didn't know about Stats for Nerds, but just enabled that from my phone app. I'll check what it says tonight and report back. But I've played the same 4K Costa Rica clip as you before (the one featuring a green lizard, I assume) and in the "HD" icon, my highest option is 1080. The fact that you have a 2160 option does not bode well for me.

I noticed that someone asked this same question on Rtings, but didn't get an answer either, except to confirm that the test clip was 4K: "The YouTube app in my Sony 55XBRX850C TV shows HD options till 1080p.There is no 1440p or 2160p options available. The internet is connected through LAN and I have a 75 mbps connection. Please help!"

I'm on a 25mbps connection but I don't think bandwidth is the issue if someone else with a 75 mbps is experiencing the same problem. Plus I'm certain that it was displaying 2160 a few months ago.

If anyone else on this forum is also encountering this, please chime in!
Try this:

Home>settings>apps>system apps; find the Youtube app, select it, select Clear data, then confirm.

Then go to the Play store on the TV and make sure you don't have any app updates pending.

Then reboot (long-press on Power button).

Then restart Youtube, sign in again, and see if you have the same issue.

I would suspect this would be related to a bandwidth issue (Youtube doesn't think it has the speed to play 4K) but good to iron out any potential issues w/app data.

post #9280 of 14995 Old 02-19-2016, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 642
Quote:
WPS office is another free MS compatible office option - covers excel, word, powerpoint, etc.

https://www.wps.com/wps-office-personal

Or... you could just use google drive/google sheets/docs/whatever. free, and don't even have to download anything.

LibreOffice is also free and works great.
C0der7 likes this.

Sony xbr65x850c Side Blooming test clips:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...br65x850c.xlsx
post #9281 of 14995 Old 02-19-2016, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp787 View Post
Or... you could just use google drive/google sheets/docs/whatever. free, and don't even have to download anything.

LibreOffice is also free and works great.
Thanks for the reminder about google docs...I always forget about that. I did find that it does have some issues displaying the spreadsheet properly - rows were showing up w/the wrong heights, cutting off some content.

post #9282 of 14995 Old 02-19-2016, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex1224 View Post
Thank you for your suggestion. I have tried your settings and it did improve the clouding/light bleed by maybe 20%, but the picture looks a bit dark for me. I will have to get used it.
Also- you do have the Light Sensor turned off?
Gerry
post #9283 of 14995 Old 02-19-2016, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Need guidance: returning a M65-C1 on Sunday (wife and I not happy with PQ) and trying to decide between 810C/850C & JU7100/JS8500. Sony's selling for $1,500/$1,800 & Sammy's $2,500 each. I have to use BBY. We watch Fios 70% of time and Netflix 30%. We only stream movies atm. I watch lots of sports.

My inclination is to get a Sony (is the 850C worth the extra $300? BBY salesman said yes due to triluminous) but are the Sammy's having HDR worth the extra $700?

I have to decide come Sunday because BBY mgr is allowing me to exchange past return policy. I'm hoping the JS8500 goes on sale for the $1999 it's sold for in past. TIA
post #9284 of 14995 Old 02-19-2016, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabian43 View Post
Need guidance: returning a M65-C1 on Sunday (wife and I not happy with PQ) and trying to decide between 810C/850C & JU7100/JS8500. Sony's selling for $1,500/$1,800 & Sammy's $2,500 each. I have to use BBY. We watch Fios 70% of time and Netflix 30%. We only stream movies atm. I watch lots of sports.

My inclination is to get a Sony (is the 850C worth the extra $300? BBY salesman said yes due to triluminous) but are the Sammy's having HDR worth the extra $700?

I have to decide come Sunday because BBY mgr is allowing me to exchange past return policy. I'm hoping the JS8500 goes on sale for the $1999 it's sold for in past. TIA
The 850C has HDR as well. If you opt for the 65 inch, it is back lit. I compared the JS8500 in store against the 850C and the natural colors of the 850C won me over.
aaronwt likes this.
post #9285 of 14995 Old 02-19-2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eculley View Post
The 850C has HDR as well. If you opt for the 65 inch, it is back lit. I compared the JS8500 in store against the 850C and the natural colors of the 850C won me over.
Really the 850C has HDR? I've read many reviews and none say that. Maybe the HDR came in a recent firmware update because most reviews are at least 6 months old. If 850C has HDR then I think that makes my decision a lot easier. I've read Sony upscales cable content better than most, certainly better than my Vizio M65. We watch a lot of TV, more than we should, and I think the upscaling capability is important.

Well, you bought the 850C, I guess you think it's worth $300 more than 810C?
post #9286 of 14995 Old 02-19-2016, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Really the 850C has HDR? I've read many reviews and none say that. Maybe the HDR came in a recent firmware update because most reviews are at least 6 months old. If 850C has HDR then I think that makes my decision a lot easier. I've read Sony upscales cable content better than most, certainly better than my Vizio M65. We watch a lot of TV, more than we should, and I think the upscaling capability is important.

Well, you bought the 850C, I guess you think it's worth $300 more than 810C?
You get Triluminos and HDR, so yea The HDR was added with a firmware update at the end of last year (the HDMI HDR was added this month).

I also really like Android TV and the voice search works really well. The JS8500 had the HDR added in a firmware update, too.
post #9287 of 14995 Old 02-19-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eculley View Post
You get Triluminos and HDR, so yea The HDR was added with a firmware update at the end of last year (the HDMI HDR was added this month).

I also really like Android TV and the voice search works really well. The JS8500 had the HDR added in a firmware update, too.
Rtings gave score of 8.4 for 810C for Sports while 850C got a 7.2. Why?
Fact that I watch a lot of sports should that concern me? Rtings has 810C overall rated higher than 850C.

I understand 810C doesn't have HDR nor triluminous but is 850C not great for sports?

I really appreciate your feedback
post #9288 of 14995 Old 02-19-2016, 12:03 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 9930 Post(s)
Liked: 6569
Quote:
Rtings gave score of 8.4 for 810C for Sports while 850C got a 7.2. Why?
Fact that I watch a lot of sports should that concern me? Rtings has 810C overall rated higher than 850C.

I understand 810C doesn't have HDR nor triluminous but is 850C not great for sports?

I really appreciate your feedback
Rtings also reviewed the 55" 850C. Not the 65".

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #9289 of 14995 Old 02-19-2016, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Rtings also reviewed the 55" 850C. Not the 65".
Just adding on to that, the 55" 850C is edge-lit. The 65 is backlit. So several of the issues pointed out on the 55" aren't applicable to the 65"
post #9290 of 14995 Old 02-19-2016, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualrain View Post
Sounds like you need some UHD HDR test patterns. It definitely sounds like levels are out of adjustment, but you're just throwing darts at a wall without any kind of test patterns. Exchanging your player is a start, maybe it's got issues outputting the right range, especially if it changed without doing anything.

However, your TV sounds all over the place as well. Have you checked the HDMI levels for the input you're using? I think it's called HDMI dynamic range or something? Set it to Auto. What about color space? Black Levels? Gamma?

Have you got a source like a media player that plays back regular video files? If so grab the AVS test patterns from elsewhere here on the forums and make sure you know at least one picture mode and one source is properly adjusted so you have a frame of reference.

Another thought... get the same movie (Martian or whatever) on both sources (good calibrated source) and UHD and pause them on the same scene and the adjust the HDR mode to match or exceed the non UHD source.

Just some thoughts. But start with a player swap. Easy thing to rule out.

Thanks for that info, and your suggestions.

Right now I believe that both my 850c and the Samsung are defective, and that accounts for all of the problems I'm having. But I have to think that the Samsung is giving me the most trouble, and I'd like to explain that.

First of all, as a number of people here are now discovering, the Samsung definitely does not have to be in HDR mode to play a 4k movie, not does it necessarily default to that setting when it first plays a movie. Sometimes it does, other times it does not, or at least that's been my experience. Here's an example from last night and today...

Last night, after making the adjustments to my Samsung and Sony that others here were kind enough to suggest (including downloading the latest firmware from Samsung), I played a 4k movie and it automatically activated the HDR setting. As well, it played the 4k picture of 'Scorch Trials' as perfectly as I could want, and that was a noticeable and impressive improvement over HD. I didn't like the HDR effects, as I don't think they're a natural extension of the picture, but I could live with them.

Today, however, it was a different story. I first played a Blu-ray HD movie (the latest 'True Grit') and it pretty much looked fabulous. The only negative was that there wasn't quite enough detail in the shadow areas for my tastes, but I'm sure they could be properly calibrated in. All in all, I thought it now showed a better picture than my Panasonic player, and I ended up getting hooked into watching the whole movie, which isn't good when you have chores to do. After the movie, I then inserted the 4k disc of 'Scorch Trials' and that's when trouble began.

The player refused to play the disc, saying that I either had to turn it over to its playing side, or else clean it off with a soft cloth. And no matter how many times I tried to get it to play, the Samsung just wouldn't cooperate. I finally shut it off and on and then retried with success. I wasn't surprised by this glitch, though. On another occasion, the player froze up completely, and I was forced to disconnect the power plug to get it to operate properly.

When it played 'Scorch Trials' in 4k today, the picture looked very good. A bit too dark in shadow areas, but otherwise okay. However, it was playing the movie in the Sony's Standard setting. It had not defaulted to HDR. When I reset the Sony to HDR the 4k picture was horrible, with everything looking like it had gotten caught up in a Nuclear blast. The exact same settings looked great the night before, but not this time.

Obviously, something is very wrong. As for the TV, I can only hope that my request to have the 850c replaced for a new model is successful (it certainly has its issues), but I can at least return the Samsung to Best Buy. I'd like to be able to exchange it, but as Best Buy has no more models in their system, I'm probably going to have to get a refund for now. With that, I'll have to decide on whether to wait until 2017 to buy a Sony 4k player or whether to try another Samsung player.
post #9291 of 14995 Old 02-19-2016, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
As previously said, you don't need to sideload ES File Exporer, you can get it from the the Google Play App on the TV.

Skip the Xfinity TV Go App. It does not work properly.
There is an XDA Developer thread talking about how it doesn't work on the Nexus player in a manner completely identical to Android TVs: http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexu...ty-tv-t2994121

You will need a mouse or cell/tablet to navigate the few choices you have and the side menu doesn't open. All you get is the recent TV recommendations.

The XDA thread does have a hacked version of the app that instead gives you the live TV page, but then you get no on demand at all.

Hopefully Xfinity will fix it in an update, or Marshmallow might fix it when it comes. Still, Comcast has no stake in supporting Android TVs not needing converter boxes. You'll also find that the HBO Go app doesn't allow Comcast subscribers to log on for the same reason: Comcast wants your money.
post #9292 of 14995 Old 02-19-2016, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex1224 View Post
Thank you for your suggestion. I have tried your settings and it did improve the clouding/light bleed by maybe 20%, but the picture looks a bit dark for me. I will have to get used it.
Also- you do have the Light Sensor turned off?
Gerry
Yes, it is off.
post #9293 of 14995 Old 02-19-2016, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Almost forgot to mention what my work around was.
Use your cellphone or PC (with Chrome and the GoogleCast extension), go to http://tvgo.xfinity.com/, find what you want and then GoogleCast it to your TV.

From a PC it also works for Hulu, which is a pay service on any other device.
post #9294 of 14995 Old 02-19-2016, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 642
Quote:
Thanks for the reminder about google docs...I always forget about that. I did find that it does have some issues displaying the spreadsheet properly - rows were showing up w/the wrong heights, cutting off some content.

that's cause you microsoft'ed it by using MS excel proprietary turds!
Danabw likes this.

Sony xbr65x850c Side Blooming test clips:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...br65x850c.xlsx
post #9295 of 14995 Old 02-19-2016, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
As previously said, you don't need to sideload ES File Exporer, you can get it from the the Google Play App on the TV.

Skip the Xfinity TV Go App. It does not work properly.
There is an XDA Developer thread talking about how it doesn't work on the Nexus player in a manner completely identical to Android TVs: http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexu...ty-tv-t2994121

You will need a mouse or cell/tablet to navigate the few choices you have and the side menu doesn't open. All you get is the recent TV recommendations.

The XDA thread does have a hacked version of the app that instead gives you the live TV page, but then you get no on demand at all.

Hopefully Xfinity will fix it in an update, or Marshmallow might fix it when it comes. Still, Comcast has no stake in supporting Android TVs not needing converter boxes. You'll also find that the HBO Go app doesn't allow Comcast subscribers to log on for the same reason: Comcast wants your money.
Interesting about Xfinity - I just installed it on my fire tv. It does work very weird, but it is at least usable with a bluetooth mouse (it really relies on a touch interface). I just redid the app with apk2tv, so I'll try it anyways and see what happens. Worst case I can always nuke it and continue using it from our HTPC. I've just found that the app tends to run far better than the web player.
post #9296 of 14995 Old 02-19-2016, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kfan View Post

Right now I believe that both my 850c and the Samsung are defective, and that accounts for all of the problems I'm having. But I have to think that the Samsung is giving me the most trouble, and I'd like to explain that.

Obviously, something is very wrong. As for the TV, I can only hope that my request to have the 850c replaced for a new model is successful (it certainly has its issues), but I can at least return the Samsung to Best Buy. I'd like to be able to exchange it, but as Best Buy has no more models in their system, I'm probably going to have to get a refund for now. With that, I'll have to decide on whether to wait until 2017 to buy a Sony 4k player or whether to try another Samsung player.
Indicative of HDR birthing pains...I have a feeling that Sony and Samsung didn't have a lot of conversations about how their devices would work together. (What was that line for all the old farts here? "Windows isn't done until Lotus 123 won't run!")

I think you'd want to see what's happening in the Samsung TV threads w/this player...if they have the same issues then I'd agree that it could be more likely that the K8500 isn't communicating properly and is the primary cause of the problems.

The player should be able to read the UHD/HDR capabilities of the HDMI port it's connected to whether it's booted up while on that port, or switched to it from another port after starting up. Since the player seems to be able to "see" that when it boots up, it's either:

- Samsung doesn't have the necessary code in their system for the player to properly query/read HDMI port UHD/HDR capability when the TV switches to the port after the player is booted up
- Sony doesn't have the necessary code in their system to share 4K/HDR capability when an HDMI port is selected for a UHD/HDR device that is already on

Or a little of both. That would be the most fun.

post #9297 of 14995 Old 02-19-2016, 02:23 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 9930 Post(s)
Liked: 6569
It's working fine in my setup. I only have three UHD BD titles, but with all of them, as soon as the disc starts playing, which is always the Fox logo with these titles, it's in HDR mode. This seems to be whether I switch from an input or not. Or whether the player starts up first or second.

I do have my K8500 connected directly to my 850C and use HDMI 2 for audio. And have HDMI-CEC turned off in the K8500. The only issues I've seen was with the Deep Color setting. When off, I would get the no signal half the time. When set to on, the video would pop up quickly after inserting the disc. I double checked this last night with a different brand of HDMI cable. And I saw identical results with the Deep Color setting.
Danabw likes this.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #9298 of 14995 Old 02-19-2016, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
It's working fine in my setup. I only have three UHD BD titles, but with all of them, as soon as the disc starts playing, which is always the Fox logo with these titles, it's in HDR mode. This seems to be whether I switch from an input or not. Or whether the player starts up first or second.

I do have my K8500 connected directly to my 850C and use HDMI 2 for audio. And have HDMI-CEC turned off in the K8500. The only issues I've seen was with the Deep Color setting. When off, I would get the no signal half the time. When set to on, the video would pop up quickly after inserting the disc. I double checked this last night with a different brand of HDMI cable. And I saw identical results with the Deep Color setting.

It seems to me that your setup is quite similar to mine. My TV is the 65" 850c, and I'm connecting the video HDMI from the Samsung to the Sony's HDMI 3 input, while the audio is connected to a Yamaha 4k receiver in port 2. I can enable HDMI 3 for enhanced output, but I wonder if that would be beneficial.

You say that you have the HDMI-CEC turned off in the K8500. I don't know what that is yet, but I'll check that out and see what happens when I turn it off. I also have Deep Color on Auto.

Finally, I called Best Buy and of course they agreed to let me send the 8500 back for a future exchange if I want to, and I would have the 15-day trial period on that. That's probably what I will do. Where everything gets so difficult for me, though, lies in the possibility that my 850c is defective in ways that I may not be sure about. It certainly has severe edge-bleed, and I'm trying to work with my dealer to get a new model, and it also has audio sync problems that Sony can't fix. These issues make me wonder what else may be wrong with the TV.

But even when there are no problems with today's 4k disc hookup, it might be hard for some customers to know if they want to keep the 8500 anyway, because at the moment there isn't any true 4k material available. The UHD titles we're seeing are okay, but they're not a jaw-dropping improvement over 1080p. I wish studios could have considered that a little more strongly.
post #9299 of 14995 Old 02-19-2016, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

First of all, as a number of people here are now discovering, the Samsung definitely does not have to be in HDR mode to play a 4k movie, not does it necessarily default to that setting when it first plays a movie. Sometimes it does, other times it does not, or at least that's been my experience. Here's an example from last night and today...

Last night, after making the adjustments to my Samsung and Sony that others here were kind enough to suggest (including downloading the latest firmware from Samsung), I played a 4k movie and it automatically activated the HDR setting. As well, it played the 4k picture of 'Scorch Trials' as perfectly as I could want, and that was a noticeable and impressive improvement over HD. I didn't like the HDR effects, as I don't think they're a natural extension of the picture, but I could live with them.

Today, however, it was a different story. I first played a Blu-ray HD movie (the latest 'True Grit') and it pretty much looked fabulous. The only negative was that there wasn't quite enough detail in the shadow areas for my tastes, but I'm sure they could be properly calibrated in. All in all, I thought it now showed a better picture than my Panasonic player, and I ended up getting hooked into watching the whole movie, which isn't good when you have chores to do. After the movie, I then inserted the 4k disc of 'Scorch Trials' and that's when trouble began.

The player refused to play the disc, saying that I either had to turn it over to its playing side, or else clean it off with a soft cloth. And no matter how many times I tried to get it to play, the Samsung just wouldn't cooperate. I finally shut it off and on and then retried with success. I wasn't surprised by this glitch, though. On another occasion, the player froze up completely, and I was forced to disconnect the power plug to get it to operate properly.

When it played 'Scorch Trials' in 4k today, the picture looked very good. A bit too dark in shadow areas, but otherwise okay. However, it was playing the movie in the Sony's Standard setting. It had not defaulted to HDR. When I reset the Sony to HDR the 4k picture was horrible, with everything looking like it had gotten caught up in a Nuclear blast. The exact same settings looked great the night before, but not this time.

You never verified if you did the latest firmware update to the Sony? It sure sounds like the issue lies with the 8500 in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk
post #9300 of 14995 Old 02-19-2016, 03:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You say that you have the HDMI-CEC turned off in the K8500. I don't know what that is yet, but I'll check that out and see what happens when I turn it off. I also have Deep Color on Auto.
HDMI-CEC is the industry name for Bravia Sync. Companies come up w/their own names for the feature, but they mean the same thing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
4k suhd , android , firmware , hdr , ir blaster , reboot , XBR-55X850C , xbr-65x850c xbr-75x850c

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page