Sony 2015 XBR-55X850C / XBR-65X850C / XBR-75X850C owners club - Page 332 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11968Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #9931 of 14893 Old 03-10-2016, 07:42 PM
Member
 
Dick Fingers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw View Post
From the Costco web site:

"Plan must be bought within 60 days of TV purchase. Costco Members may buy plans for new
TVs purchased from a Costco warehouse, Costco.com or any authorized U.S. retailer."

"5 Years Total Protection for your TV purchased at a Costco warehouse or from Costco.com
The first 2 years of warranty are covered by Costco or the manufacturer. The 3rd through the 5th years are covered by SquareTrade.

4 Years Total Protection for your TV purchased at any other authorized US retailer
The first year of warranty is covered by the manufacturer. The 2nd through the 4th years are covered by SquareTrade"

I had thought the first bolded part above indicated that you have to be a member. But I just looked on their site and on their registration page:

"Non-members may be assessed an additional surcharge. The surcharge does not apply to prescription items. Executive Members need to provide a membership number to receive credit for their 2% rebate."

So it looks like you can make purchases on their site w/out a membership, they will just add a non-member surcharge on some items. Interesting. So you should go to their web site and see if you can make a purchase w/out being a member...the cost might be a little higher - be interesting to see what happens when you try.

Also, there is a "join Costco" link at the top of the web site - you could choose their cheapest membership and then buy the warranty...even if the membership is $50 that's $139 for a four year warranty. Still pretty great deal.
I do not have a Costco membership, but was able to purchase the warranty directly from their website. They charge you an extra 5%, but in this case it's not a big deal at all. Just make sure to register your warranty with Squaretrade.
Danabw likes this.
Dick Fingers is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #9932 of 14893 Old 03-10-2016, 09:49 PM
Member
 
Todd Nicholson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Anacortes, WA.
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Nicholson View Post
Mine does. The TP remote will often stop working for no apparent reason. I like using it better than IR, so it's quite annoying.
If it isn't working properly, couldn't hurt to try this:

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answer...3,95552,95756/

Still doesn't work, I'd ask Sony for a replacement remote.
Thanks for the link. I'll try this when I get a chance.
Todd Nicholson is offline  
post #9933 of 14893 Old 03-10-2016, 10:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DoctorM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: South Florida
Posts: 2,125
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Silly solution, but if your remote freezes up in a manner that doesn't seem related to the TV, have you tried changing the batteries?
Danabw likes this.
DoctorM is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #9934 of 14893 Old 03-11-2016, 03:26 AM
Advanced Member
 
mrdjman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 611
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Fingers View Post
I do not have a Costco membership, but was able to purchase the warranty directly from their website. They charge you an extra 5%, but in this case it's not a big deal at all. Just make sure to register your warranty with Squaretrade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw View Post
From the Costco web site:

"Plan must be bought within 60 days of TV purchase. Costco Members may buy plans for new
TVs purchased from a Costco warehouse, Costco.com or any authorized U.S. retailer."

"5 Years Total Protection for your TV purchased at a Costco warehouse or from Costco.com
The first 2 years of warranty are covered by Costco or the manufacturer. The 3rd through the 5th years are covered by SquareTrade.

4 Years Total Protection for your TV purchased at any other authorized US retailer
The first year of warranty is covered by the manufacturer. The 2nd through the 4th years are covered by SquareTrade"

I had thought the first bolded part above indicated that you have to be a member. But I just looked on their site and on their registration page:

"Non-members may be assessed an additional surcharge. The surcharge does not apply to prescription items. Executive Members need to provide a membership number to receive credit for their 2% rebate."

So it looks like you can make purchases on their site w/out a membership, they will just add a non-member surcharge on some items. Interesting. So you should go to their web site and see if you can make a purchase w/out being a member...the cost might be a little higher - be interesting to see what happens when you try.

Also, there is a "join Costco" link at the top of the web site - you could choose their cheapest membership and then buy the warranty...even if the membership is $50 that's $139 for a four year warranty. Still pretty great deal.
Thanks for that! Yeah I think I'll get it - well worth it. I was thinking the same as you - even if I'd have to get a membership...it would be worth it just for the warranty, and I'm sure I can find Costco in my travels, but if it's only like 5% surcharge...that's a deal.
mrdjman is offline  
post #9935 of 14893 Old 03-11-2016, 05:14 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMac1203 View Post
Why not just exchange at BB?
This was the last model in the store (Next to the display model which is always on and so low to the floor that I'm sure little kids and adults have hit the screen multiple times)

Actually, that prompts me to call around to see if another location has one in a brand new box.

Proud UN55JS8500 Owner :)
EAClarke is offline  
post #9936 of 14893 Old 03-11-2016, 06:15 AM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 35,951
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9309 Post(s)
Liked: 5996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Fingers View Post
I do not have a Costco membership, but was able to purchase the warranty directly from their website. They charge you an extra 5%, but in this case it's not a big deal at all. Just make sure to register your warranty with Squaretrade.
But it's only four years without the Costco membership right? That's what I remember when I got my last DLP set in 2012. I ended up getting the Squaretrade warranty for five years from ebay for only a little more than it cost from Costco. I had considered doing that again with my 850C but decided just to stick with the five year extended warranty from BestBuy. Since I purchased it from them instead of an online retailer.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 03-11-2016 at 06:19 AM.
aaronwt is offline  
post #9937 of 14893 Old 03-11-2016, 06:21 AM
Senior Member
 
pos1121's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: West Coast of Michigan
Posts: 303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by EAClarke View Post
This was the last model in the store (Next to the display model which is always on and so low to the floor that I'm sure little kids and adults have hit the screen multiple times)

Actually, that prompts me to call around to see if another location has one in a brand new box.
I've searched this forum and other reviews looking for the best settings for this tv. I think have the issue with the discoloration on the sides to the point I can tolerate it. My next challenge is that during night viewing the picture strikes me as losing pop. More with dark scenes but enough that it looks like it has a film over it for lack of better descriptor.

I'm using Cinema Pro, tried Custom and used different settings from posters here and reviews as well as adjusting for my own tastes, still no pop. The shadow detail is crushed. Again, I'm coming from a plasma, which I still have. I'm not expecting that level of black and detail, but better then what I'm seeing.

Are my expectations too high or is there a good night time setting that would help?
pos1121 is offline  
post #9938 of 14893 Old 03-11-2016, 07:01 AM
Member
 
chilighost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw View Post
I believe you'll find it in Change Device Settings in the Harmony app.

I think you'll need to apply this to your receiver - set a power off delay for the receiver's power off command. First add the delay, and then drag the power off command below delay in the command list...it takes some careful dragging to move a command - you'll see a blue line appear below or above the other command when you're holding the command you're moving in the right spot. I had to try several times until I got the drag process right and the app let me move the power off command after the power off delay I added.

Some screen shots attached.
I did this and there was no change unfortunately. I ended up just deleting all my Devices and Activities from the MyHarmony app and starting over from scratch. Once I did that, it worked! Now my 850c powers off immediately at the same time as the Onkyo AV receiver.
Thank you for the help. I'm glad its working like it should now.
Danabw likes this.
chilighost is offline  
post #9939 of 14893 Old 03-11-2016, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Danabw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,220
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by pos1121 View Post
I've searched this forum and other reviews looking for the best settings for this tv. I think have the issue with the discoloration on the sides to the point I can tolerate it. My next challenge is that during night viewing the picture strikes me as losing pop. More with dark scenes but enough that it looks like it has a film over it for lack of better descriptor.

I'm using Cinema Pro, tried Custom and used different settings from posters here and reviews as well as adjusting for my own tastes, still no pop. The shadow detail is crushed. Again, I'm coming from a plasma, which I still have. I'm not expecting that level of black and detail, but better then what I'm seeing.

Are my expectations too high or is there a good night time setting that would help?
While you're making picture setting changes, make sure you are aware how Picture settings are stored on the TV, (per input and in three different app groups) so that when you make changes you get what you are expecting. The first tab (Read this First) in the X850C FAQ in my sig provides the picture setting groupings. You might also want to review VirtualRain's post on picture settings - there's a link to it in on the first tab of the FAQ as well. And of course the Picture Settings tab in the FAQ has settings for all three models provided by owners here that you might want to review.

Some like it and some don't, but you might want to try playing w/the advanced contrast enhancer setting to bring out more shadow details.

2015 Sony X850C FAQ: Recommended Picture settings, 3D FAQ, HDR FAQ, DirecTV 4K Ready FAQ, Troubleshooting & common problems; Dropbox Link || Alternate Google Drive FAQ Link. || My gear: TV - Sony XBR75X850C, BD - Sony BDP S350, AVR - Pioneer VSX-1020, Speakers - RBH MC-616C MKII Center Channel, RBH MC-6C MKII Bookshelf (fronts), RBH MC-615 In-ceiling surrounds, RBH TS-10AP 200W self-powered sub.
Danabw is offline  
post #9940 of 14893 Old 03-11-2016, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Danabw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,220
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
But it's only four years without the Costco membership right? That's what I remember when I got my last DLP set in 2012. I ended up getting the Squaretrade warranty for five years from ebay for only a little more than it cost from Costco. I had considered doing that again with my 850C but decided just to stick with the five year extended warranty from BestBuy. Since I purchased it from them instead of an online retailer.
Updated the FAQ on this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by X850C FAQ
"SquareTrade warranty on Costco.com - membership not required! (See link below to the warranty on Costco's site.)

1. $89 for four years coverage (TV not purchased from Costco) or five years coverage (TV purchased from Costco).

2. Again, TV does not have to be purchased from Costco!

3. Costco membership is not required. (There is a small 5% surcharge to purchase the warranty for non-members.)

4. Warranty must be purchased within 60 days of TV purchase.

5. TV must be purchased from authorised Sony retailer (e.g., Amazon, Best Buy, local AV stores, etc.).

6. Once you purchase the warranty you can use Costco Concierge Service support for assistance w/your warranty issues! "
@aaronwt - who was selling the five year ST warranty on eBay? No one has mentioned this option before. Thanks!

2015 Sony X850C FAQ: Recommended Picture settings, 3D FAQ, HDR FAQ, DirecTV 4K Ready FAQ, Troubleshooting & common problems; Dropbox Link || Alternate Google Drive FAQ Link. || My gear: TV - Sony XBR75X850C, BD - Sony BDP S350, AVR - Pioneer VSX-1020, Speakers - RBH MC-616C MKII Center Channel, RBH MC-6C MKII Bookshelf (fronts), RBH MC-615 In-ceiling surrounds, RBH TS-10AP 200W self-powered sub.
Danabw is offline  
post #9941 of 14893 Old 03-11-2016, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Danabw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,220
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilighost View Post
I did this and there was no change unfortunately. I ended up just deleting all my Devices and Activities from the MyHarmony app and starting over from scratch. Once I did that, it worked! Now my 850c powers off immediately at the same time as the Onkyo AV receiver.
Thank you for the help. I'm glad its working like it should now.
Sometimes you have to clear out and start over...glad things are working OK now. I'll FAQ this next to the other Harmony issue.
chilighost likes this.

2015 Sony X850C FAQ: Recommended Picture settings, 3D FAQ, HDR FAQ, DirecTV 4K Ready FAQ, Troubleshooting & common problems; Dropbox Link || Alternate Google Drive FAQ Link. || My gear: TV - Sony XBR75X850C, BD - Sony BDP S350, AVR - Pioneer VSX-1020, Speakers - RBH MC-616C MKII Center Channel, RBH MC-6C MKII Bookshelf (fronts), RBH MC-615 In-ceiling surrounds, RBH TS-10AP 200W self-powered sub.
Danabw is offline  
post #9942 of 14893 Old 03-11-2016, 08:10 AM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 35,951
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9309 Post(s)
Liked: 5996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw View Post
Updated the FAQ on this...



@aaronwt - who was selling the five year ST warranty on eBay? No one has mentioned this option before. Thanks!
This was back in 2012 when I got my last DLP set. I don't recall exactly what I found for the 850C. I don't think it was five years.

EDIT: I just did a quick check. Maybe it was a Mack warranty I got? I see those for in home service for five years for Tvs up to $2500 at around $165.
The one I got for my DLP set was much cheaper because the 82" DLP was under $1500.

Here is the one I found for Tvs $1750 to $2500. And also the one for $1500 to $1750. And I think this is the same seller I got one from in 2012. Although, so far, I've not needed to use the extended warranty on my DLP set.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mack-1406-5-...gQ6A4VIFTI7TsA

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mack-1405-5-...gQ6A4VIFTI7TsA

I definitely did not look at those when I got my 850C. If I had I may have gone that route instead.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 03-11-2016 at 08:24 AM.
aaronwt is offline  
post #9943 of 14893 Old 03-11-2016, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
turts85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,117
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Anyone else notice that with non 4k material these blooming sides seem to be more apparent. When I ay 4k content, though you can see it its not nearly as bad as non 4k material. Also with Blu Rays it seems less apparent than when I use the on screen Apps. But its def not a settings thing because no matter what Picture mode no matter what the brightness is at it is still there especially on the youtube start up screen its very apparent.
turts85 is offline  
post #9944 of 14893 Old 03-11-2016, 10:51 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pos1121 View Post
I've searched this forum and other reviews looking for the best settings for this tv. I think have the issue with the discoloration on the sides to the point I can tolerate it. My next challenge is that during night viewing the picture strikes me as losing pop. More with dark scenes but enough that it looks like it has a film over it for lack of better descriptor.

I'm using Cinema Pro, tried Custom and used different settings from posters here and reviews as well as adjusting for my own tastes, still no pop. The shadow detail is crushed. Again, I'm coming from a plasma, which I still have. I'm not expecting that level of black and detail, but better then what I'm seeing.

Are my expectations too high or is there a good night time setting that would help?
Pos,


Funny you have this "film over" problem as I have also noticed this but only on certain content, which makes me think that its probably just the source. For example I have watched Daredevil in 4k on Netflix and never had the effect take place, blacks were solid, clarity was unreal and over all the picture was superb. On the other hand watching walking dead on cable TV, the dark scenes are atrocious and I do see this "filming effect" take place almost like there is a light foggy film over the screen when displaying darker scenes or even night scenes with fog in them causing some pixilation.


I don't know if this makes any sense to anyone else as I am using basic terms and am not very techy but I am sure if you and I are experiencing it surely some others have as well. Anyone else have any thoughts on this? My best guess as previously stated is that its all up to the quality of the source material.
pos1121 likes this.
tDiesel is offline  
post #9945 of 14893 Old 03-11-2016, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member
 
mrdjman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 611
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by tDiesel View Post
Pos,


Funny you have this "film over" problem as I have also noticed this but only on certain content, which makes me think that its probably just the source. For example I have watched Daredevil in 4k on Netflix and never had the effect take place, blacks were solid, clarity was unreal and over all the picture was superb. On the other hand watching walking dead on cable TV, the dark scenes are atrocious and I do see this "filming effect" take place almost like there is a light foggy film over the screen when displaying darker scenes or even night scenes with fog in them causing some pixilation.


I don't know if this makes any sense to anyone else as I am using basic terms and am not very techy but I am sure if you and I are experiencing it surely some others have as well. Anyone else have any thoughts on this? My best guess as previously stated is that its all up to the quality of the source material.

I haven't watched any full-length 4k stuff yet - only the blurbs on YouTube for reference...however...with Walking Dead - yeah - the darker scenes (of which there are many) isn't too good. I attribute that to production value, however, as I've watched upscaled Blu-Ray & even DVD, and the colors and blacks were spot on.


I used the WOW calibration disks after starting with some of the settings from the spreadsheet, and could get all of the test patterns, etc., to come out right as they were supposed to. Thus far, I haven't noticed any blooming or edge stuff - either i'm fortunate, or blind...but my old KDL52V5100 had flashlighting so bad, I think I'd notice on this one.
pos1121 likes this.
mrdjman is offline  
post #9946 of 14893 Old 03-11-2016, 11:52 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdjman View Post
I haven't watched any full-length 4k stuff yet - only the blurbs on YouTube for reference...however...with Walking Dead - yeah - the darker scenes (of which there are many) isn't too good. I attribute that to production value, however, as I've watched upscaled Blu-Ray & even DVD, and the colors and blacks were spot on.


I used the WOW calibration disks after starting with some of the settings from the spreadsheet, and could get all of the test patterns, etc., to come out right as they were supposed to. Thus far, I haven't noticed any blooming or edge stuff - either i'm fortunate, or blind...but my old KDL52V5100 had flashlighting so bad, I think I'd notice on this one.


Yea it could be production value, its just interesting because the TV does great upscaling overall but I can't help but notice how bad some darker scenes are from content to content ie; cable vs Netflix Non 4k. Its weird though and may be my mind playing tricks on me but some shows even look better on cable than others, Limitless on ABC is one of the best cable shows clarity wise that my eye can tell but like you said could be production value or the limited amount of darker scenes as compared to WD that I am not noticing it.


Thanks for the input, tD
tDiesel is offline  
post #9947 of 14893 Old 03-11-2016, 12:01 PM
Senior Member
 
pos1121's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: West Coast of Michigan
Posts: 303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw View Post
While you're making picture setting changes, make sure you are aware how Picture settings are stored on the TV, (per input and in three different app groups) so that when you make changes you get what you are expecting. The first tab (Read this First) in the X850C FAQ in my sig provides the picture setting groupings. You might also want to review VirtualRain's post on picture settings - there's a link to it in on the first tab of the FAQ as well. And of course the Picture Settings tab in the FAQ has settings for all three models provided by owners here that you might want to review.

Some like it and some don't, but you might want to try playing w/the advanced contrast enhancer setting to bring out more shadow details.
I actually forgot to mention- I did use these as my starting reference point- which was very helpful. I tried the enhanced contrast enhancer- which I felt helped. Whereas in a plasma you could see detail in shadow scenes, it seems there's more blobs on this set. I have a smaller lcd/led that in my estimation does well.

Just went to another Best Buy and the guy told me to bring it back. He suggested the 900 series or Samsung 8500.

I appreciate your feedback.
pos1121 is offline  
post #9948 of 14893 Old 03-11-2016, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Danabw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,220
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by pos1121 View Post
I actually forgot to mention- I did use these as my starting reference point- which was very helpful. I tried the enhanced contrast enhancer- which I felt helped. Whereas in a plasma you could see detail in shadow scenes, it seems there's more blobs on this set. I have a smaller lcd/led that in my estimation does well.

Just went to another Best Buy and the guy told me to bring it back. He suggested the 900 series or Samsung 8500.

I appreciate your feedback.
900 series has been notorious for edge-bleed...be cautious about that series.

2015 Sony X850C FAQ: Recommended Picture settings, 3D FAQ, HDR FAQ, DirecTV 4K Ready FAQ, Troubleshooting & common problems; Dropbox Link || Alternate Google Drive FAQ Link. || My gear: TV - Sony XBR75X850C, BD - Sony BDP S350, AVR - Pioneer VSX-1020, Speakers - RBH MC-616C MKII Center Channel, RBH MC-6C MKII Bookshelf (fronts), RBH MC-615 In-ceiling surrounds, RBH TS-10AP 200W self-powered sub.
Danabw is offline  
post #9949 of 14893 Old 03-11-2016, 03:20 PM
Senior Member
 
landonsdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 23
850c vs 850d 65"

The D is out now and I don't see a lot of difference, of course they are not side by side either. A Sony VP was in Magnolia and told me the chip was just tweaked a little more. He said it is the same as the B, but the B was produced beyond what they could do with it. They now have focused on tweaking it each year.

But, I am being told that the C is called UHD but is not a "TRUE" UHD. Mag rep said it is capable of receiving UHD signals, but not reproducing them.

I have the C on layaway at $1699 and the D is at $2599. Big difference, but I don't want to be obsolete going in either.

Anyone know?
landonsdad is offline  
post #9950 of 14893 Old 03-11-2016, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DoctorM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: South Florida
Posts: 2,125
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by landonsdad View Post
The D is out now and I don't see a lot of difference, of course they are not side by side either. A Sony VP was in Magnolia and told me the chip was just tweaked a little more. He said it is the same as the B, but the B was produced beyond what they could do with it. They now have focused on tweaking it each year.

But, I am being told that the C is called UHD but is not a "TRUE" UHD. Mag rep said it is capable of receiving UHD signals, but not reproducing them.

I have the C on layaway at $1699 and the D is at $2599. Big difference, but I don't want to be obsolete going in either.

Anyone know?
Did he say not "TRUE" UHD or HDR? The former doesn't make any sense.

Also, it looks like you are considering 65". If you can tolerate the speakers, the 930C is probably a better alternative to the X850D, but it's hard to be sure until more details come forth. It's $100 less and is technically Premium HDR.
DoctorM is offline  
post #9951 of 14893 Old 03-11-2016, 07:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Danabw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,220
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
Did he say not "TRUE" UHD or HDR? The former doesn't make any sense.

Also, it looks like you are considering 65". If you can tolerate the speakers, the 930C is probably a better alternative to the X850D, but it's hard to be sure until more details come forth. It's $100 less and is technically Premium HDR.
I thought from the C series only the 940C could be considered technically premium HDR due to backlighting...930C is edge-lit.

2015 Sony X850C FAQ: Recommended Picture settings, 3D FAQ, HDR FAQ, DirecTV 4K Ready FAQ, Troubleshooting & common problems; Dropbox Link || Alternate Google Drive FAQ Link. || My gear: TV - Sony XBR75X850C, BD - Sony BDP S350, AVR - Pioneer VSX-1020, Speakers - RBH MC-616C MKII Center Channel, RBH MC-6C MKII Bookshelf (fronts), RBH MC-615 In-ceiling surrounds, RBH TS-10AP 200W self-powered sub.
Danabw is offline  
post #9952 of 14893 Old 03-11-2016, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Danabw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,220
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by landonsdad View Post
The D is out now and I don't see a lot of difference, of course they are not side by side either. A Sony VP was in Magnolia and told me the chip was just tweaked a little more. He said it is the same as the B, but the B was produced beyond what they could do with it. They now have focused on tweaking it each year.

But, I am being told that the C is called UHD but is not a "TRUE" UHD. Mag rep said it is capable of receiving UHD signals, but not reproducing them.

I have the C on layaway at $1699 and the D is at $2599. Big difference, but I don't want to be obsolete going in either.

Anyone know?
One thing to consider carefully is that the D series is a "1.0" version w/the new lighting system they are using in those models...we have no info yet on whether they will have more or fewer uniformity, edge bleed, flashlighting issues, etc.

2015 Sony X850C FAQ: Recommended Picture settings, 3D FAQ, HDR FAQ, DirecTV 4K Ready FAQ, Troubleshooting & common problems; Dropbox Link || Alternate Google Drive FAQ Link. || My gear: TV - Sony XBR75X850C, BD - Sony BDP S350, AVR - Pioneer VSX-1020, Speakers - RBH MC-616C MKII Center Channel, RBH MC-6C MKII Bookshelf (fronts), RBH MC-615 In-ceiling surrounds, RBH TS-10AP 200W self-powered sub.
Danabw is offline  
post #9953 of 14893 Old 03-11-2016, 07:12 PM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 35,951
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9309 Post(s)
Liked: 5996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw View Post
I thought from the C series only the 940C could be considered technically premium HDR due to backlighting...930C is edge-lit.
Aren't basically all of the new Samsung sets also Edge lit? yet they all get Premium Certification from the UHDA.

Quote:
The UHDA’s ULTRA HD PREMIUM logo is reserved for products and services that comply with performance metrics for resolution, high dynamic range (HDR), peak luminance, black levels and wide color gamut among others.....................
The UHDA’s Premium Certification is the most trusted identifier of top UHD picture quality. A certification logo from the UHDA will be included on all Samsung SUHD TVs in 2016, ....................................
http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...ent-Experience

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 03-11-2016 at 07:15 PM.
aaronwt is offline  
post #9954 of 14893 Old 03-11-2016, 07:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
guitarguy316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,790
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2102 Post(s)
Liked: 791
Text on graphics on ESPN are kinda jagged, no smooth edges. Is there some settings I should mess with?
guitarguy316 is online now  
post #9955 of 14893 Old 03-11-2016, 07:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Danabw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,220
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Aren't basically all of the new Samsung sets also Edge lit? yet they all get Premium Certification from the UHDA.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...ent-Experience
Yeah, I didn't say that very clearly - I wasn't trying to say that edge lighting would disqualify generally, I just thought I read somewhere that only the 940C met the HDR Premium spec, and the edge lighting (in the C model 930) was part of the reason it didn't make it.

Of course that could all be a criss-cross of HDR info that I've mis-remembered.

2015 Sony X850C FAQ: Recommended Picture settings, 3D FAQ, HDR FAQ, DirecTV 4K Ready FAQ, Troubleshooting & common problems; Dropbox Link || Alternate Google Drive FAQ Link. || My gear: TV - Sony XBR75X850C, BD - Sony BDP S350, AVR - Pioneer VSX-1020, Speakers - RBH MC-616C MKII Center Channel, RBH MC-6C MKII Bookshelf (fronts), RBH MC-615 In-ceiling surrounds, RBH TS-10AP 200W self-powered sub.
Danabw is offline  
post #9956 of 14893 Old 03-11-2016, 10:04 PM
Senior Member
 
landonsdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw View Post
Yeah, I didn't say that very clearly - I wasn't trying to say that edge lighting would disqualify generally, I just thought I read somewhere that only the 940C met the HDR Premium spec, and the edge lighting (in the C model 930) was part of the reason it didn't make it.

Of course that could all be a criss-cross of HDR info that I've mis-remembered.

Maybe the Mag rep did say HDR, but I saw another rep, who looked it up, and said it had it. He was pointing to UHD when he said that.

This article talks about the x850C being HDR or will be with an upgrade. Has anyone seen this? (below)

http://www.techhive.com/article/2984...echnology.html

I am replacing a Mits DLP that is working fine. Should I hold off longer?
landonsdad is offline  
post #9957 of 14893 Old 03-11-2016, 10:12 PM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 35,951
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9309 Post(s)
Liked: 5996
Quote:
Originally Posted by landonsdad View Post
Maybe the Mag rep did say HDR, but I saw another rep, who looked it up, and said it had it. He was pointing to UHD when he said that.

This article talks about the x850C being HDR or will be with an upgrade. Has anyone seen this? (below)

http://www.techhive.com/article/2984...echnology.html

I am replacing a Mits DLP that is working fine. Should I hold off longer?
The 850C had a firmware update that enabled HDR back in October. And then in February another update enabled HDR from the HDMI inputs for the UHD BD player launch.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline  
post #9958 of 14893 Old 03-11-2016, 10:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Danabw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,220
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The 850C had a firmware update that enabled HDR back in October. And then in February another update enabled HDR from the HDMI inputs for the UHD BD player launch.
Yup - every C series from 810C up to 940C is HDR compatible for streaming.

840C and up have HDMI HDR support as of the 2/9/16 SW update.

No one has seen the D series yet to see if there is a significant difference in between the X850D series and X850C series HDR.

All of the X850C sets are 4K, have 4K panels and can only display 4K. Any rep that says they aren't UHD/4K is a doofus.
aaronwt and DoctorM like this.

2015 Sony X850C FAQ: Recommended Picture settings, 3D FAQ, HDR FAQ, DirecTV 4K Ready FAQ, Troubleshooting & common problems; Dropbox Link || Alternate Google Drive FAQ Link. || My gear: TV - Sony XBR75X850C, BD - Sony BDP S350, AVR - Pioneer VSX-1020, Speakers - RBH MC-616C MKII Center Channel, RBH MC-6C MKII Bookshelf (fronts), RBH MC-615 In-ceiling surrounds, RBH TS-10AP 200W self-powered sub.
Danabw is offline  
post #9959 of 14893 Old 03-11-2016, 11:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DoctorM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: South Florida
Posts: 2,125
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw View Post
I thought from the C series only the 940C could be considered technically premium HDR due to backlighting...930C is edge-lit.
That's a good question. As far as I can tell the 930C and 940C are nearly identical except for their size which are 65" and 75" respectively with the 65" edge-lit with local dimming and the 75" is FALD. Edge-lit does not disqualify a TV from being Premium.

IIRC, there was a leaflet at Best Buy that showed what features were in each model and all 9xxC were rated as HDR Premium, but with 930C and lower being called 'limited' by Sony's naming scheme. (As we know the 900/910 have poor black levels so just ignore those.)

Wish I kept one of those flyers as proof.

Edit: landonsdad - Our 75" X850C replaced a Mits LaserVue. I used to brag about that TV. The X850C makes it look like an old CRT by comparison. I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Last edited by DoctorM; 03-11-2016 at 11:32 PM.
DoctorM is offline  
post #9960 of 14893 Old 03-11-2016, 11:12 PM
Senior Member
 
landonsdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
Did he say not "TRUE" UHD or HDR? The former doesn't make any sense.

Also, it looks like you are considering 65". If you can tolerate the speakers, the 930C is probably a better alternative to the X850D, but it's hard to be sure until more details come forth. It's $100 less and is technically Premium HDR.
I would get that tv right now without the added width of speakers. The 850C 65" is at my limits width wise.

Remove the speakers and a couple hundred and it would be a no brainer.
landonsdad is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
4k suhd , android , firmware , hdr , ir blaster , reboot , XBR-55X850C , xbr-65x850c xbr-75x850c

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off