Sony 2015 XBR-55X850C / XBR-65X850C / XBR-75X850C owners club - Page 376 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11992Likes

post #11251 of 14995 Old 07-19-2016, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 933 Post(s)
Liked: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezff View Post
Im wondering if I have something plugged in wrong? or a setting?

HDMI4 ARC to Marantaz monitor 1ARC
Toggle the HDMI settings on the receiver to off, wait a few seconds, then turn back on. do the same with the tv.

fully unplug both devices. turn them back on one at a time starting with the receiver.

On the TV, rescan for braviasync/ARC devices.

Sony xbr65x850c Side Blooming test clips:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...br65x850c.xlsx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11252 of 14995 Old 07-19-2016, 09:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Which looks better? Edge Backlight or the Direct Backlight? (55" has edge, 65" has direct).
post #11253 of 14995 Old 07-19-2016, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
tested some MKV 3D files that were side by side 3d.

I bought the cheapest active 3d glasses i could find

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004PYEBZ2...glasses+active

You get 2 for that price! rechargeable batteries and usb cables included. Some reviews will mention sony owners even some of the models here. I followed someone's review to sync it and it works just fine.

I personally have the XBR-65X850C, i just started playing the mkv 3d movie file i had, pulled up the action menu and enabled 3D side by side, and synced the glasses by long pressing the button until the red/green lights cycle a few inches from the sensor below the tv until it said paired.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11254 of 14995 Old 07-19-2016, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenile View Post
tested some MKV 3D files that were side by side 3d.

I bought the cheapest active 3d glasses i could find

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004PYEBZ2...glasses+active

You get 2 for that price! rechargeable batteries and usb cables included. Some reviews will mention sony owners even some of the models here. I followed someone's review to sync it and it works just fine.

I personally have the XBR-65X850C, i just started playing the mkv 3d movie file i had, pulled up the action menu and enabled 3D side by side, and synced the glasses by long pressing the button until the red/green lights cycle a few inches from the sensor below the tv until it said paired.
That model actually works with these TVs? I wouldn't think they would.

Edit: I'm also confused. They're showing "Lithium ion batteries required", which appears to be replaceable. Are these really rechargeable? I didn't think Li-Ion could be charged. And there's some comments in the reviews talking about resoldering to replace the batteries.

Last edited by DoctorM; 07-19-2016 at 02:20 PM.
post #11255 of 14995 Old 07-19-2016, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 933 Post(s)
Liked: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
That model actually works with these TVs? I wouldn't think they would.

Edit: I'm also confused. They're showing "Lithium ion batteries required", which appears to be replaceable. Are these really rechargeable? I didn't think Li-Ion could be charged. And there's some comments in the reviews talking about resoldering to replace the batteries.
Lithium ion is in just about everything from drill batteries to cell phones.

Sony xbr65x850c Side Blooming test clips:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...br65x850c.xlsx
post #11256 of 14995 Old 07-19-2016, 07:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 42
No Signal?

Everything has been great with my 55x850c - till now.

I ran the update a few days back and haven't had any issues. Last night my son and I watched "the spy who loved me" on bluray from ps4 into HTR into tv via hdmi4/arc. No problems.

Tonight, during "moonraker" two things happened. It got this message at the bottom of the screen, "no input, tv will turn off in one minute." While the movie is filling the screen!

I would also get the info display popping on and not going away unless I hit the display button on the remote.

I would cycle the home key then pick hdmi4 and the message at the bottom would go away for about 5 minutes and then the whole thing would happen again.

Help?

Sony XBR-55X850C
Onkyo TX-SR444
PS4
Polk Audio 5.1.2

Packer fan living in Michigan.
post #11257 of 14995 Old 07-19-2016, 10:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Just watched Deadpool uhd 4k blu ray and Kung Fu Panda blu ray with my 55" and Sammy 4k blu ray player. Amazing colors and details on both films. Highly recommended.

Batman vs Superman uhd 4k next.

Ian B
aaronwt likes this.
post #11258 of 14995 Old 07-21-2016, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatHead88 View Post
i ran into this issue before. This TV took down my whole LAN while connected via Ethernet. Resolution was unplugging TV for 10 minutes form power, and power cycling router and all switches.

Android rocks... lol
Thanks. Yup, unplugging for several minutes and then plugging back in (forcing a reboot) did the trick.
post #11259 of 14995 Old 07-21-2016, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by brilithos View Post

I ran the update a few days back and haven't had any issues. Last night my son and I watched "the spy who loved me" on bluray from ps4 into HTR into tv via hdmi4/arc. No problems.

Tonight, during "moonraker" two things happened. It got this message at the bottom of the screen, "no input, tv will turn off in one minute." While the movie is filling the screen!

I would also get the info display popping on and not going away unless I hit the display button on the remote.

I would cycle the home key then pick hdmi4 and the message at the bottom would go away for about 5 minutes and then the whole thing would happen again.

Help?
I get that also, another bug that needs to be ironed out.
Just press on the remote

Last edited by santope; 07-21-2016 at 10:35 AM.
post #11260 of 14995 Old 07-21-2016, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm sure I've asked before, but has anyone successfully installed something like AdBlock on these TVs?
edit: Never mind. Set it up, but it doesn't remove YouTube (because they serve via HTTPS(?)) and it keeps Crackle from working at all. Oh well, worth a try.

Last edited by DoctorM; 07-21-2016 at 02:21 PM.
post #11261 of 14995 Old 07-23-2016, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by thyname View Post
It seems like the ARC function on my x850c no longer works with my Sony soundbar. It worked fine until today.

I tried resetting everything change the HDMI cables, nothing worked.

Any ideas?

One thing I noticed is that Bravia Sync no longer shows any HDMI device list. My soundbar is a Sony HT-CT780

THANK YOU!
I found my culprit. It is my Samsung 4K UHD Blu--Ray player UBD-K8500.

By process of elimination.

Unplugged and powered down everything, including soundbar, TV and Router and all devices connected to them. Then power on and connect one by one. Anytime I connect the Sammy BD player to the TV (it has the Main HDMI port out to the TV HDMI Input #1 for video, and HDMI Audio Port Out to the soundbar), the Bravia Sync and ARC channel do not work. Everything else connected to them (soundbar, Amazon FireTV, Directv Genie HR44, TiVo) both ARC and Bravia Sync work fine. Go figure.

Anyway, the good news is that my Bravia TV is not broken and no need to replace it. Somehow, the Sony TV and Sammy UHD BD player do not like each other. Now it has to be my decision to whether only connect the Sammy 4K player to tV when in use, or keep it on all the time and do without Sync and ARC...

Hopefully others will take note, and Sony and/or Samsung will fix this issue with a software update.
post #11262 of 14995 Old 07-23-2016, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

Anyway, the good news is that my Bravia TV is not broken and no need to replace it. Somehow, the Sony TV and Sammy UHD BD player do not like each other. Now it has to be my decision to whether only connect the Sammy 4K player to tV when in use, or keep it on all the time and do without Sync and ARC.
I have an AV Receiver and not a Soundbar but I've found that everything but the Samsung Blu-Ray player works as expected if I have ARC turned on on the TV and AV receiver and turned off on the Blu-Ray player. I leave the Blu-ray player connected to the TV and AV Receiver at all times and then just use the individual remotes when needed for the Blu-ray player.

Jerry

TV: Sony XBR55X850C
Blu-ray: Oppo UDP-203
Receiver: Denon AVR-X4300H
post #11263 of 14995 Old 07-23-2016, 12:02 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 9932 Post(s)
Liked: 6573
Quote:

By process of elimination.

Unplugged and powered down everything, including soundbar, TV and Router and all devices connected to them. Then power on and connect one by one. Anytime I connect the Sammy BD player to the TV (it has the Main HDMI port out to the TV HDMI Input #1 for video, and HDMI Audio Port Out to the soundbar), the Bravia Sync and ARC channel do not work. Everything else connected to them (soundbar, Amazon FireTV, Directv Genie HR44, TiVo) both ARC and Bravia Sync work fine. Go figure.

Anyway, the good news is that my Bravia TV is not broken and no need to replace it. Somehow, the Sony TV and Sammy UHD BD player do not like each other. Now it has to be my decision to whether only connect the Sammy 4K player to tV when in use, or keep it on all the time and do without Sync and ARC...

Hopefully others will take note, and Sony and/or Samsung will fix this issue with a software update.
I found out back in February that the K8500 does not play nice with Sony devices with HDMI-CEC on. And apparently this is still the case.

Not sure how you could even use the ARC though with a UHD BD player. UNless you have the player re-encode everything to legacy DD or DTS. Without re-encoding all audio there is no way you could reliably use the ARC with a UHD BD player.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #11264 of 14995 Old 07-23-2016, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I found out back in February that the K8500 does not play nice with Sony devices with HDMI-CEC on. And apparently this is still the case.

Not sure how you could even use the ARC though with a UHD BD player. UNless you have the player re-encode everything to legacy DD or DTS. Without re-encoding all audio there is no way you could reliably use the ARC with a UHD BD player.
Aaron: We have same tv and similar sony soundbar (yours is one level up than mine). I am NOT using ARC with the Samsung K8500 player. I have HDMI Main out on the player to the TV HDMI port #1 directly, and then the HDMI Out on the player to the soundbar HDMI #3 on the soundbar for Audio, and picked the relevant audio setting on the Samsung player. Works fine.

However, my point was that anytime that the an HDMI cable is connected from the Samsung player to the Sony TV, the Bravia Sync and ARC function is completely disabled for the other devices I have connected in this system (named on my previous post). Meaning that if the Samsung player is added to the equation, ARC function and Bravia Sync is completely disabled on the Sony TV and don't work. I don't know why. As soon as I remove the HDMI cable from the Samsung player to the TV, ARC works fine and Bravia Sync is back on. Completely strange..
post #11265 of 14995 Old 07-23-2016, 12:16 PM
UHD Addict

With the K8500 I just tried the ARC with my Sony 850C and a Sony HT-NT3 speaker bar. It's actually working very well. FOr Netflix, Amazon, and Vudu it sends out 5.1 DOlby Digital. Then for a UHD BD it sends out 5.1 DD/DTS depending on what you have selected for the re-encoding. I tried several UHD BD titles quickly and it worked with all three. And of course you hear the menu sounds when using the DD/DTS re-encoding. Reminds me of ten years ago.

Of course I don't have HDMi-CEC on in the K8500.

post #11266 of 14995 Old 07-23-2016, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
With the K8500 I just tried the ARC with my Sony 850C and a Sony HT-NT3 speaker bar. It's actually working very well. FOr Netflix, Amazon, and Vudu it sends out 5.1 DOlby Digital. Then for a UHD BD it sends out 5.1 DD/DTS depending on what you have selected for the re-encoding. I tried several UHD BD titles quickly and it worked with all three.

Of course I don't have HDMi-CEC on in the K8500.
It was working fine for several months. I don't know what changed that is causing this. My suspicion is the new software update on Sony TV. I have not seen any new software update on the Samsung BD player lately.
post #11267 of 14995 Old 07-23-2016, 12:36 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
It was working fine for several months. I don't know what changed that is causing this. My suspicion is the new software update on Sony TV. I have not seen any new software update on the Samsung BD player lately.
FOr now it's working with my Sony and the newer update. But I've only tried it for a few minutes here. I will go back to using the HDMI 2 output so I can get the full clarity of the 7.1 Advanced audio track,

post #11268 of 14995 Old 07-24-2016, 05:13 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by brilithos View Post

Help?

I did a full shut down and the issue hasn't returned... Yay!

Sony XBR-55X850C
Onkyo TX-SR444
PS4
Polk Audio 5.1.2

Packer fan living in Michigan.
post #11269 of 14995 Old 07-24-2016, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Still having issues with ARC on my 65x850c. Switched out my new receiver with one that I know had no issues. Same problem, no ARC. So, I reinstalled my new receiver (Sony STRDN860) and did a factory reset on the TV. Same problem. It doesn't recognize other Sony components (receiver, BD) for Bravia control and no ARC. I do not want to call Sony. Will call Geek Squad, but don't want 850D as option. FRUSTRATED!!!

Sent from my SGP311 using Tapatalk
post #11270 of 14995 Old 07-24-2016, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I discovered something interesting today... and it explains things that had me thinking I was crazy.

As we know MotionFlow performs motion smoothing for 24p content. We also know that CineMotion at it's lowest level attempts to restore interlaced and odd frame rate content to 24p and at higher levels adds additional smoothing to that content.

What I DIDN'T know was that 3D content is treated as interlaced/atypical frame rate material. So if you want additional smoothing on a 3D movie? You use CineMotion at a higher level NOT MotionFlow... which will do nothing.

This actually sucks because in 3D mode the TV keeps an alternate MotionFlow setting for the input's video settings, but NOT for CineMotion. (Similar to how the brightness setting is overridden in 3D and then returned to your normal one once you go back to 2D.)

I wonder if Sony even knows their TVs do this.

I tested a 3D BD, and two different Half SBS videos and two different size x850c sets. All with the same result.

tl;dnr - If your 3D is jittery, try turning Cinemotion to Medium or High.

Last edited by DoctorM; 07-24-2016 at 04:08 PM.
post #11271 of 14995 Old 07-24-2016, 04:58 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
I discovered something interesting today... and it explains things that had me thinking I was crazy.

As we know MotionFlow performs motion smoothing for 24p content. We also know that CineMotion at it's lowest level attempts to restore interlaced and odd frame rate content to 24p and at higher levels adds additional smoothing to that content.

What I DIDN'T know was that 3D content is treated as interlaced/atypical frame rate material. So if you want additional smoothing on a 3D movie? You use CineMotion at a higher level NOT MotionFlow... which will do nothing.

This actually sucks because in 3D mode the TV keeps an alternate MotionFlow setting for the input's video settings, but NOT for CineMotion. (Similar to how the brightness setting is overridden in 3D and then returned to your normal one once you go back to 2D.)

I wonder if Sony even knows their TVs do this.

I tested a 3D BD, and two different Half SBS videos and two different size x850c sets. All with the same result.

tl;dnr - If your 3D is jittery, try turning Cinemotion to Medium or High.
The default settings for 3d should not cause a jittery picture. only if someone changed the settings should this be an issue.
post #11272 of 14995 Old 07-24-2016, 08:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The default settings for 3d should not cause a jittery picture. only if someone changed the settings should this be an issue.
Depends what you mean by 'default'. That would be a per video profile setting. If you have Cinemotion on Low or Off, it would be like watching a 24p 2D movie with MotionFlow off.

I find Cinemotion on High to be problematic at the best of times and producing SOE at the worst.
post #11273 of 14995 Old 07-25-2016, 05:59 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyennebob View Post
Still having issues with ARC on my 65x850c. Switched out my new receiver with one that I know had no issues. Same problem, no ARC. So, I reinstalled my new receiver (Sony STRDN860) and did a factory reset on the TV. Same problem. It doesn't recognize other Sony components (receiver, BD) for Bravia control and no ARC. I do not want to call Sony. Will call Geek Squad, but don't want 850D as option. FRUSTRATED!!!

Cheyennebob, not sure if we should believe a Sony rep or not, but I had spent a ridiculous amount of time on phone with them in reference to the ARC feature and it not working or syncing up to my HTNT5 sound bar. They told me that the 850c was on a list they have noting problems with the ARC feature and that an update would be coming out for a fix.....not to upbeat about it though in the meantime I switched this sound bar back to optical and have restarted my collection of multiple remotes .
post #11274 of 14995 Old 07-25-2016, 06:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tDiesel View Post
Cheyennebob, not sure if we should believe a Sony rep or not, but I had spent a ridiculous amount of time on phone with them in reference to the ARC feature and it not working or syncing up to my HTNT5 sound bar. They told me that the 850c was on a list they have noting problems with the ARC feature and that an update would be coming out for a fix.....not to upbeat about it though in the meantime I switched this sound bar back to optical and have restarted my collection of multiple remotes .
See my previous post on this very issue:

Post # 11263
post #11275 of 14995 Old 07-25-2016, 06:09 AM

All my in-wall wiring consists of HDMI (2 ports) and USB (2 ports) only. I haven't used optical in a long time. From the sound of things, I don't really trust Sony to be actually working on this. They've been known to placate their customers to their gain.

post #11276 of 14995 Old 07-25-2016, 06:28 AM

With the exception of my cable set top box, I only have Sony components. My previous set up worked flawlessly (Sony KDL55W800A tv, Sony STRDH810 receiver and a Sony BD player). Bravia sync and ARC had absolutely no issues. To eliminate my new receiver as the culprit (Sony STRDN860), I reinstalled the strdh810 to no avail. Bravia sync and ARC did not work. I then performed a factory reset on my XBR65X850C. Still had no Bravia sync, which is not the real issue, nor ARC. I really want to watch, AND LISTEN, streaming movies. Getting a 4K picture is great, but the speakers in the tv are obviously not optimal.

post #11277 of 14995 Old 07-25-2016, 06:30 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Depends what you mean by 'default'. That would be a per video profile setting. If you have Cinemotion on Low or Off, it would be like watching a 24p 2D movie with MotionFlow off.

I find Cinemotion on High to be problematic at the best of times and producing SOE at the worst.
WHen it goes into 3D mode there are default settings for this. Anything different seems to cause issues with 3D. But with the default settings for 3D I have never had any problems. Only when I changed any of those settings did I ever see any issues.

post #11278 of 14995 Old 07-25-2016, 06:32 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
All my in-wall wiring consists of HDMI (2 ports) and USB (2 ports) only. I haven't used optical in a long time. From the sound of things, I don't really trust Sony to be actually working on this. They've been known to placate their customers to their gain.

And is there actually a problem? The ARC has always worked without any issues between my 850C and my HT-NT3.

I use the ARC with a PS4 and XBOne on a regular basis. Zero issues. And I've used it with two TiVo Bolts and a Samsung K8500 UHD BD player. With each device the ARC has worked flawlessly.

post #11279 of 14995 Old 07-25-2016, 06:38 AM

Yes, that's what I've been trying to say. No sound from the tv to the receiver. I'm using HDMI 4/ARC.

post #11280 of 14995 Old 07-25-2016, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
With the exception of my cable set top box, I only have Sony components. My previous set up worked flawlessly (Sony KDL55W800A tv, Sony STRDH810 receiver and a Sony BD player). Bravia sync and ARC had absolutely no issues. To eliminate my new receiver as the culprit (Sony STRDN860), I reinstalled the strdh810 to no avail. Bravia sync and ARC did not work. I then performed a factory reset on my XBR65X850C. Still had no Bravia sync, which is not the real issue, nor ARC. I really want to watch, AND LISTEN, streaming movies. Getting a 4K picture is great, but the speakers in the tv are obviously not optimal.

As per my previous post (see post #11263) , the issue was the Samsung K8500 4K player in my set up. Whenever it was connected, Bravia Sync and ARC is disabled on my Sony 65x850c. For whatever reason. When the Sammy player is out of the equation, everything works fine, including playing apps on Sony TV via ARC to my soundbar.

I know others do not have such issues, even with identical or similar set up, such as Aaron here. But I know other people had issues, even over at Sony forums.

http://community.sony.com/t5/4K-Ultr.../582810#M10566

My suggestion is to disconnect any cables (HDMI, Ethernet, or otherwise, remove them) from Sony, power all devices down (including router) and power back in. Then first connect your receiver only (nothing else). Will the ARC work? If yes, one of the other devices is the culprit, which you can isolate by connecting one by one. Obviously, make sure you have the TV using the audio system speakers first, of course.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
4k suhd , android , firmware , hdr , ir blaster , reboot , XBR-55X850C , xbr-65x850c xbr-75x850c

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page