Sony 2015 XBR-55X850C / XBR-65X850C / XBR-75X850C owners club - Page 465 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11968Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #13921 of 14886 Old 10-29-2017, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member
 
JonDeutsch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: King of Prussia, PA
Posts: 873
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Unfortunately, it seems that we are unable to revert to prior OS's on these TVs. Not sure why/how that is the case, but that is the conventional wisdom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdoefx View Post
That reminds me... is there a download somewhere that can provide me (us) with the original default O/S?

(75850C bought fall of '15)

--Tom
JonDeutsch is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #13922 of 14886 Old 10-29-2017, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DoctorM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: South Florida
Posts: 2,124
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDeutsch View Post
So I have kept my 75X850C on the original OS since purchase. Mostly because of people on this forum (and a friend with an 850C) seeing problems when they went to Marshmallow (random reboots, useless Amazon videos, app crash pop-ups, etc.).

I figured since my TV is stable and working reliably? Why upgrade when it seems like, all too often, it's a reliability downgrade? Yes, I would like some of the new features and tweaks, but nobody in my house wants a TV that randomly reboots in a middle of a show. That's a computer thing to do; not a TV thing to do! (Yes, I know our 850Cs are just tiny Android computers with huge screens, but that's neither here nor there)

So I happily went and upgraded to the latest Google Play Music app with the brand new UI, and guess what? It won't load. It instantly crashes and takes me back to the homepage every time. I am presuming this is because the new app requires at least 6.0 Android to run... although honestly, the app shouldn't even load if the OS doesn't support it, right? That's how Android works on my phone at least!

So, is this new app crash thing a result of an old TV OS? Or is something else going on where an app's latest version simply won't load? I've tried clearing cache, clearing app data, rebooting... the whole lot. I ended up uninstalling the update and the old version of the app loads just fine.

Any thoughts?
Thx!
Jon
It sounds like you've prevented all apps from updating, not just the firmware.

Some of the basic ones may need to be updated for Google Play Music to function properly. I know an Android Webview update was needed for the newer YouTube app to work properly.

That said, there's no telling which parts it might be. I would think most apps are safe to update as long as Marshmallow isn't a requirement.
DoctorM is offline  
post #13923 of 14886 Old 10-29-2017, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member
 
JonDeutsch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: King of Prussia, PA
Posts: 873
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Hey, that's an excellent point. And it makes a lot more sense than my OS compatibility theory. However, I do go into the Play Store and update most apps that claim that have new versions. In fact, I just went in now and saw that WebView was "recently updated" on its own. Hmmm....

Thx.
Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
It sounds like you've prevented all apps from updating, not just the firmware.

Some of the basic ones may need to be updated for Google Play Music to function properly. I know an Android Webview update was needed for the newer YouTube app to work properly.

That said, there's no telling which parts it might be. I would think most apps are safe to update as long as Marshmallow isn't a requirement.

Last edited by JonDeutsch; 10-29-2017 at 10:46 AM.
JonDeutsch is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #13924 of 14886 Old 10-29-2017, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PaulGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: North Potomac, MD
Posts: 4,042
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 162
The OS updates also provide essential security patches.
DoctorM likes this.
PaulGo is online now  
post #13925 of 14886 Old 10-29-2017, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member
 
JonDeutsch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: King of Prussia, PA
Posts: 873
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post
The OS updates also provide essential security patches.
Honestly, I'm not that worried about someone hacking into my TV. Call me naive, but I'd rather have my TV work like a TV (i.e., reliably, like a consumer appliance vs. a buggy computer) than feel secure that someone isn't going to hack into my TV.

That said, I'm usually the first person to upgrade to the latest anything. But the TV - a device that is used by my significant other - needs to be just as reliable as a TV should be. She doesn't need any kind of hoopla when trying to watch TV.
CleCakYngMfd likes this.
JonDeutsch is online now  
post #13926 of 14886 Old 10-29-2017, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member
 
JonDeutsch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: King of Prussia, PA
Posts: 873
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I just went into the Play Store and confirmed that it's set to update apps automatically at any time. So, what else could make the new GPM app not work on my TV? Again, in theory, it shouldn't even load onto an OS that does not support it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
It sounds like you've prevented all apps from updating, not just the firmware.

Some of the basic ones may need to be updated for Google Play Music to function properly. I know an Android Webview update was needed for the newer YouTube app to work properly.

That said, there's no telling which parts it might be. I would think most apps are safe to update as long as Marshmallow isn't a requirement.
JonDeutsch is online now  
post #13927 of 14886 Old 10-29-2017, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PaulGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: North Potomac, MD
Posts: 4,042
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 162
I have three 850C TVs a 75" a 65" and a 55" all with the latest OS and security patches. I do not have any problems using the latest OS. (I did have some problems on the original OS with the 55" TV which caused me to do a factory reset).
brilithos likes this.
PaulGo is online now  
post #13928 of 14886 Old 10-29-2017, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member
 
mrdjman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 611
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDeutsch View Post
Unfortunately, it seems that we are unable to revert to prior OS's on these TVs. Not sure why/how that is the case, but that is the conventional wisdom.
That is what my Sony contact tells me, as well...ain't no goin' back.
mrdjman is offline  
post #13929 of 14886 Old 10-29-2017, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DoctorM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: South Florida
Posts: 2,124
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Depending on your original firmware, you may have unsquashed bugs. Many TVs needed an update to fix the 3D, the Video app had an aspect ratio problem that rendered it pretty much useless for a whole year starting October 2015, something about the Amazon app, and a few other things I can't remember right now. We have an W800C as well that kept activating the light sensor even though it was turned off.

I know one of the updates actually improved the brightness/contrast that many people found noticeable.

Of course the old firmware let you activate 3D in any media player app you wanted and the new one doesn't.

Any upgrade trades old bugs for new ones. That's what you get when computers 'make things better'.

Last edited by DoctorM; 10-29-2017 at 12:14 PM.
DoctorM is offline  
post #13930 of 14886 Old 10-29-2017, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 733
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 149
I hope nougat is out soon, bought a Xbox one x that releases on the 7th. Had this tv since December 2015 and absolutely love it. I don’t have any issues like some of you guys anyways would be nice if that came in time for my first 4k bluray player and true 4k games
fssfguy is offline  
post #13931 of 14886 Old 10-29-2017, 12:29 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Pawleys Island, South Carolina
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I'm at a point that I'm beginning to think that our sets are near end of life. My son is an app developer at CNN for the Android TV and word is we may not get Nouget as planned. Considering getting the Nvidia Shield TV and using the 65X850C as a monitor. Any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
cheyennebob is offline  
post #13932 of 14886 Old 10-29-2017, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 733
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyennebob View Post
I'm at a point that I'm beginning to think that our sets are near end of life. My son is an app developer at CNN for the Android TV and word is we may not get Nouget as planned. Considering getting the Nvidia Shield TV and using the 65X850C as a monitor. Any thoughts?
Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
They promised all sets from 2015/16 and buddy on here has a guy at Sony who has never been wrong with his insider info says we get it late fall. Unfortunately your son is probably off the mark
PaulGo and Danabw like this.
fssfguy is offline  
post #13933 of 14886 Old 10-29-2017, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 733
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Lol plus it’s only two years old.. we will get nougat but that will be last major update
fssfguy is offline  
post #13934 of 14886 Old 10-29-2017, 02:07 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Pawleys Island, South Carolina
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by fssfguy View Post
They promised all sets from 2015/16 and buddy on here has a guy at Sony who has never been wrong with his insider info says we get it late fall. Unfortunately your son is probably off the mark
He's working side by side with Google, who planted the idea. I don't like it anymore than the next guy. Hopefully Google and Sony change their minds. We can only hope. I'm just looking forward when this actually happens. The TV will be fine, the OS may not.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
cheyennebob is offline  
post #13935 of 14886 Old 10-29-2017, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 733
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 149
I’ll wait to here from our regular source there bud
fssfguy is offline  
post #13936 of 14886 Old 10-29-2017, 02:20 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Pawleys Island, South Carolina
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by fssfguy View Post
I’ll wait to here from our regular source there bud
I don't blame you. Me too! I'm just repeating what I heard. My son also has an 850C. He's a developer. He has direct access to Google. His team is responsible for the Android TV app. These guys are working on Oreo right now. Don't shoot, im just the messenger.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Danabw likes this.
cheyennebob is offline  
post #13937 of 14886 Old 10-29-2017, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 733
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyennebob View Post
I don't blame you. Me too! I'm just repeating what I heard. My son also has an 850C. He's a developer. He has direct access to Google. His team is responsible for the Android TV app. These guys are working on Oreo right now. Don't shoot, im just the messenger.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
I’m sorry if it came off brash, didn’t mean it to. Just don’t want it to be true well let’s hope it’s not. Cheers
cheyennebob likes this.
fssfguy is offline  
post #13938 of 14886 Old 10-29-2017, 05:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Danabw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,220
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 419
My money is still on is getting Nougat, but it ain't over till it's over.

If we don't get it I'll be fine....for my use of the set it does all it needs to do and it's reliable.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
aaronwt likes this.

2015 Sony X850C FAQ: Recommended Picture settings, 3D FAQ, HDR FAQ, DirecTV 4K Ready FAQ, Troubleshooting & common problems; Dropbox Link || Alternate Google Drive FAQ Link. || My gear: TV - Sony XBR75X850C, BD - Sony BDP S350, AVR - Pioneer VSX-1020, Speakers - RBH MC-616C MKII Center Channel, RBH MC-6C MKII Bookshelf (fronts), RBH MC-615 In-ceiling surrounds, RBH TS-10AP 200W self-powered sub.
Danabw is offline  
post #13939 of 14886 Old 10-29-2017, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 733
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Maybe our friend can reach out to his source ?
fssfguy is offline  
post #13940 of 14886 Old 10-30-2017, 06:52 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Pawleys Island, South Carolina
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Back to my original question. Any thought on the Nvidia Shield TV? I'm a little late to the party and have begun ripping DVD and Blu-ray disks to an external HD. Considering the Shield as a media player using Plex. I like that it's also Android TV (Nuguet) and will play HDR and 4K on Amazon, Netflix, YouTube and VUDU. That way, when the 850C "does" hit end of life on the Android updates, I'm prepared.

Sent from my SGP311 using Tapatalk
cheyennebob is offline  
post #13941 of 14886 Old 10-30-2017, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member
 
mrdjman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 611
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Spoke to my source earlier today and he said there is still no official word, but he thinks Google may wait until after the first of the year. Android N is still scheduled to roll for us though...
aaronwt, Danabw, cchen326 and 1 others like this.
mrdjman is offline  
post #13942 of 14886 Old 10-30-2017, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 733
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdjman View Post
Spoke to my source earlier today and he said there is still no official word, but he thinks Google may wait until after the first of the year. Android N is still scheduled to roll for us though...
Awesome news, don’t mind waiting if we are getting it. Cheers
fssfguy is offline  
post #13943 of 14886 Old 10-31-2017, 12:22 PM
Member
 
Naidu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: New Joisey
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyennebob View Post
Back to my original question. Any thought on the Nvidia Shield TV? I'm a little late to the party and have begun ripping DVD and Blu-ray disks to an external HD. Considering the Shield as a media player using Plex. I like that it's also Android TV (Nuguet) and will play HDR and 4K on Amazon, Netflix, YouTube and VUDU. That way, when the 850C "does" hit end of life on the Android updates, I'm prepared.
I got a Nvidia Shield TV box about 4 months ago and am quite happy with it. I've moved most of my "smart tv" activities to it from my 850C. It has its own set of idiosyncrasies, but an underperforming CPU and GPU are not amongst them. And Nvidia is actively updating it: been running Nougut for several months now, and they pushed Google Assistant and Youtube TV updates just this week.

Before this, I had frozen all updates to the 850C around the end of 2016. Hoping to use it mostly as a monitor.

Overall, I recommend it.

Check the Shield threads in the Media Servers forums.

Edit this thread: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-net...p-box-146.html

Last edited by Naidu; 10-31-2017 at 12:27 PM.
Naidu is offline  
post #13944 of 14886 Old 10-31-2017, 01:57 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Pawleys Island, South Carolina
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naidu View Post
I got a Nvidia Shield TV box about 4 months ago and am quite happy with it. I've moved most of my "smart tv" activities to it from my 850C. It has its own set of idiosyncrasies, but an underperforming CPU and GPU are not amongst them. And Nvidia is actively updating it: been running Nougut for several months now, and they pushed Google Assistant and Youtube TV updates just this week.

Before this, I had frozen all updates to the 850C around the end of 2016. Hoping to use it mostly as a monitor.

Overall, I recommend it.

Check the Shield threads in the Media Servers forums.

Edit this thread: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-net...p-box-146.html
Thanks, that's what I was hoping to hear.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
cheyennebob is offline  
post #13945 of 14886 Old 11-01-2017, 08:18 AM
Member
 
Bullwyf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Does the 2015 model (XBR75X850C) support Alexa?
Apologies if this has already been asked - I did a quick skim and did not find anything.
Bullwyf is offline  
post #13946 of 14886 Old 11-01-2017, 02:19 PM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 35,930
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9295 Post(s)
Liked: 5980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullwyf View Post
Does the 2015 model (XBR75X850C) support Alexa?
Apologies if this has already been asked - I did a quick skim and did not find anything.
No it does not. Only some 2016 models and the 2017 models.

https://esupport.sony.com/info/1709/US/EN/#supported_tv

Quote:
2017 TV models
XBR-77A1E
XBR-65A1E
XBR-55A1E
XBR-75X940E
XBR-75X900E
XBR-75X850E
XBR-65X930E
XBR-65X900E
XBR-65X850E
XBR-55X930E
XBR-55X900E
XBR-55X800E
XBR-49X900E
XBR-49X800E
XBR-43X800E
2016 TV models
XBR-100Z9D
XBR-75Z9D
XBR-65Z9D
XBR-65X750D
XBR-55X700D
XBR-49X800D
XBR-49X700D
XBR-43X800D
Bullwyf likes this.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline  
post #13947 of 14886 Old 11-01-2017, 11:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Danabw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,220
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullwyf View Post
Does the 2015 model (XBR75X850C) support Alexa?
Apologies if this has already been asked - I did a quick skim and did not find anything.
If voice control is important, you can get the Harmony hub, you can find the hub and a remote together on Amazon frequently for about $70. That will give you voice control from Alexa.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
JonDeutsch, Bullwyf and Theetjuh like this.

2015 Sony X850C FAQ: Recommended Picture settings, 3D FAQ, HDR FAQ, DirecTV 4K Ready FAQ, Troubleshooting & common problems; Dropbox Link || Alternate Google Drive FAQ Link. || My gear: TV - Sony XBR75X850C, BD - Sony BDP S350, AVR - Pioneer VSX-1020, Speakers - RBH MC-616C MKII Center Channel, RBH MC-6C MKII Bookshelf (fronts), RBH MC-615 In-ceiling surrounds, RBH TS-10AP 200W self-powered sub.
Danabw is offline  
post #13948 of 14886 Old 11-02-2017, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member
 
JonDeutsch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: King of Prussia, PA
Posts: 873
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post
I have three 850C TVs a 75" a 65" and a 55" all with the latest OS and security patches. I do not have any problems using the latest OS. (I did have some problems on the original OS with the 55" TV which caused me to do a factory reset).
Do you use any AndroidTV apps, like Amazon Video?
JonDeutsch is online now  
post #13949 of 14886 Old 11-02-2017, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member
 
JonDeutsch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: King of Prussia, PA
Posts: 873
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 45
And Google Home (via Google Assistant, which is also available on your phone)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw View Post
If voice control is important, you can get the Harmony hub, you can find the hub and a remote together on Amazon frequently for about $70. That will give you voice control from Alexa.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Bullwyf likes this.
JonDeutsch is online now  
post #13950 of 14886 Old 11-02-2017, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 733
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Do these TVs get burn in ? I watch about 2-5 hours a night of 4:3 content, I’m a history major and I watch a lot of you tube documentaries in 4:3. Just worried
fssfguy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
4k suhd , android , firmware , hdr , ir blaster , reboot , XBR-55X850C , xbr-65x850c xbr-75x850c

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off