Sony 2015 XBR-55X850C / XBR-65X850C / XBR-75X850C owners club - Page 467 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11966Likes

post #13981 of 14867 Old 11-10-2017, 03:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post
Technically, maybe. But to me, visually a False statement.

What is 'True HDR'? There are different 'flavors' of HDR. While these Sony TVs do not do HDR-DV (Dolby Vision), they do-do HDR-10. I have a P50-C1 Vizio that does HDR-DV and HDR-10 and apparently with the latest Firmware, is able to do HDR-HLG for HDMI-connected devices.

I saw my brother's Sony (75") do HDR-10 and it looks the same to me as my HDR-DV. This is a direct-streaming comparison. With connected devices, there's a mixed bag of results you and others may see, apparently.

- Pj
Any advice on HDR settings @CleCakYngMfd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13982 of 14867 Old 11-10-2017, 04:20 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 9090 Post(s)
Liked: 5840
Quote:
Originally Posted by fssfguy View Post
No I’m not trolling bud, I used oled as an example as it has the best hdr Panels. There is nothing wrong with my set i just don’t like hdr. Did you not just read the comment about the guy saying he wants to turn it off in Netflix because it looks so bad? Lots of ppl think no matter what the settings it’s washed out and bad quality. Stop being a fanboy the sets were not built for hdr and it was an after thought patch lol.

And no you can not turn off hdr on the set. If a film is hdr on Netflix I watch it through my PS4 pro or Xbox one x which have options to disable hdr for both apps and uhd discs. I suggest the Xbox one s as a uhd player. Cheers
The Xbox One and PS4 are at the bottom of the list for Netflix players. I avoid using them except for Netflix HDR Atmos titles with the XB1S/XB1X.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #13983 of 14867 Old 11-10-2017, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The Xbox One and PS4 are at the bottom of the list for Netflix players. I avoid using them except for Netflix HDR Atmos titles with the XB1S/XB1X.

@aaronwt any advice on HDR settings.... what do you use ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13984 of 14867 Old 11-10-2017, 04:35 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Round View Post
@aaronwt any advice on HDR settings.... what do you use ?
I got my settings from the Danabw spreadsheet. I tried some of the settings other people used and then slightly tweaked it. I've been using my current settings for over a year and a half now with great results.

post #13985 of 14867 Old 11-10-2017, 05:17 AM

Quote:
I got my settings from the Danabw spreadsheet. I tried some of the settings other people used and then slightly tweaked it. I've been using my current settings for over a year and a half now with great results.

Do you have a link to this spreadsheet ? any chance you can post your settings please.

Thanks in advance
post #13986 of 14867 Old 11-10-2017, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 45
  • I'm quite disappointed that we're not getting the Google Assistant on our TVs.
  • I am quite happy with the HDR on my 75X850C. Any POV that says that our TVs don't do "true" or "real" HDR is #FakeNews.
DoctorM likes this.
post #13987 of 14867 Old 11-10-2017, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Do you have a link to this spreadsheet ? any chance you can post your settings please.

Thanks in advance
Click the link to the FAQ in the first post in this thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2017-11-10 at 7.28.42 AM.png
Views:	68
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	2313140  

2015 Sony X850C FAQ: Recommended Picture settings, 3D FAQ, HDR FAQ, DirecTV 4K Ready FAQ, Troubleshooting & common problems; Dropbox Link || Alternate Google Drive FAQ Link. FAQ is frequently (often daily!) updated, check back often! || My gear: TV - Sony XBR75X850C, BD - Sony BDP S350, AVR - Pioneer VSX-1020, Speakers - RBH MC-616C MKII Center Channel, RBH MC-6C MKII Bookshelf (fronts), RBH MC-615 In-ceiling surrounds, RBH TS-10AP 200W self-powered sub.
post #13988 of 14867 Old 11-10-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw View Post
Click the link to the FAQ in the first post in this thread.
thanks i have been using that.... have tried the various different settings for HDR format but im getting very mixed results depending on the game.

Any advice on which is the best of the HDR settings ? New to all this and im not even sure if what i think looks good is a true image which may be a big part of the problem
post #13989 of 14867 Old 11-10-2017, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2020 Post(s)
Liked: 721
Quote:

Any advice on HDR settings?

For a temporary 'fix' on the lack of Contrast and Blacks-turning-to-Gray, I suggested to a P-Series owner to back down the Brightness to add Contrast. (I'm just now wondering, if peak-Contrast is affected also? Maybe it needs a boost along with backing-off the Brightness?)

Anyway, he's using a Brightness setting of 40 for now. 50 is the norm for the Vizios. I guess you can try moving the Brightness back if changing the Color Space doesn't help. I'm going to try to simulate this problem by switching to RGB. I wonder if a device and/or the TV in question need to set to a specific Color Space and not rely on 'Auto' to do it?

With the Vizios, currently, there's an apparent DV bug-a-boo. At first, with earlier Firmware, the Backlight auto-adjusted to 50 for Dolby Vision. This recently changed where now Vizio will leave the Backlight set per user-setting. Late last year, I discovered when playing with the Backlight setting while DV content is playing, that peak HDR-DV brights were not happening at a Backlight of 50, but around 30. But other lower luminance are then too dark. Even at 50, the other lower luminance is still too dark. (I use a 50-to-70 setting where needed.) But this is with DV and how it's tied to Vizio's Backlight. The HDR-10 on the Sonys should be ok, I guess, except for some device problems ongoing with the 'washout' look.

Whatever your best setup for nighttime viewing is, I guess leave them where they're now unless Sony auto-adjusts. Either they stay that way for HDR-10, or the Sony will auto-adjust one or more settings, I suppose. Back the Brightness down if you have the 'washout' bug and see if that is doable for you until the X-Box or PS units come out with a fix.

My main HDR source is DV from NetFlix. I stream from the SmartCast App. First, Cast to your Sony and Search 'HDR' in NetFlix to see what's listed. Search for Cosmos Laundromat if it didn't come up in the 'HDR' search. That's a good one to watch in HDR.

- Pj

- PjThis is The End-Age GenerationTime is Running OutQuakes, Sinkholes, Meteors
EvilutionMankind Was CreatedWe Didn't Come From ApesThere Was a Worldwide Flood!
The End of This Age is Near!I'm Ready For The Rapture!Are You Ready?The Time is Now!
post #13990 of 14867 Old 11-11-2017, 05:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I read a lot on this forum but I don't post often, this thread has many pages so sorry if I repeat my story once again.

I've had bad "blooming" (I think this is how you call it) on my TV since day one, with 4-6" of bad discoloration on either side. Sony discarded my claim when under warranty, and the issue hasn't improved much through time and firmware updates. Sometimes the image is so bad it looks like the screen is "dirty" inside (don't know how better describe).
Based on the description many others have posted, it doesn't seem like I'm alone in this, maybe my set is just a little worse than others.(FYI I have Verizon FIOS and that's what I watch most).
I have tried all the settings on the spreadsheet and the ones other people have posted. I have tweaked every single one of them to find improvement, with very little success.
And yes, HDR is horrible on my TV as well, to the point that I don't watch HDR shows on Netflix anymore. It just seems to enhance 10 folds the blooming issue with an additional layer of fog on top (again, don't know how to better describe).
I posted pictures here of "The Ranch" in 4K from Netflix, and people responded "something must be wrong with your settings" just like someone did a few posts back to another user.
That doesn't help much, in fact it's sort of like being called a dummy , also it doesn't help to call someone a troll because he has the same issues with this TV.

I love this forum and I consider it my primary source of information. I'm grateful for all the issues I was able to resolve, as I hope I helped someone else resolve theirs, although I'm not an electronic guru. A lot of people like me come here for help. When I read posts like the one I mentioned I feel like it defeats the purpose of this forum.

So please, if someone has suggestions on how to improve my (and other's) situation. Please share. Don't call us trolls.
post #13991 of 14867 Old 11-12-2017, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by renpar61 View Post
I read a lot on this forum but I don't post often, this thread has many pages so sorry if I repeat my story once again.
I
I've had bad "blooming" (I think this is how you call it) on my TV since day one, with 4-6" of bad discoloration on either side. Sony discarded my claim when under warranty, and the issue hasn't improved much through time and firmware updates. Sometimes the image is so bad it looks like the screen is "dirty" inside (don't know how better describe).
Based on the description many others have posted, it doesn't seem like I'm alone in this, maybe my set is just a little worse than others.(FYI I have Verizon FIOS and that's what I watch most).
I have tried all the settings on the spreadsheet and the ones other people have posted. I have tweaked every single one of them to find improvement, with very little success.
And yes, HDR is horrible on my TV as well, to the point that I don't watch HDR shows on Netflix anymore. It just seems to enhance 10 folds the blooming issue with an additional layer of fog on top (again, don't know how to better describe).
I posted pictures here of "The Ranch" in 4K from Netflix, and people responded "something must be wrong with your settings" just like someone did a few posts back to another user.
That doesn't help much, in fact it's sort of like being called a dummy , also it doesn't help to call someone a troll because he has the same issues with this TV.

I love this forum and I consider it my primary source of information. I'm grateful for all the issues I was able to resolve, as I hope I helped someone else resolve theirs, although I'm not an electronic guru. A lot of people like me come here for help. When I read posts like the one I mentioned I feel like it defeats the purpose of this forum.

So please, if someone has suggestions on how to improve my (and other's) situation. Please share. Don't call us trolls.
Do you have clouding ? Lol looks like grey clouds on black screen ? That’s common with led set unfortunately. Although it shouldn’t be as bad as you said. Or you have DSE dirty screen effect where it looks like the screen is dirty with dark spots when camera land. This is noticeably on say hockey games. It’s also spec unfortunately
post #13992 of 14867 Old 11-12-2017, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 849 Post(s)
Liked: 258
There is a lot of variability in these TVs. Some people have good 3D, some have awful crosstalk. Some have blooming and clouding others have pristine screens.
My 55" has the later of both, awful crosstalk but not a bit of flashlighting/blooming/clouding. I returned several 55" that had clouding before I got my current one.

Our 75" has some light clouding, but we keep that one over-bright which doesn't help.

If you've tried the 'rubbing with a cloth' fix, that's about all there is you can do. Otherwise, I'm afraid you needed to deal with it while you could still return it.
post #13993 of 14867 Old 11-13-2017, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

fssfguy and DoctorM, thank you for chiming in

I'm not sure I have clouding or DSE, probably both if the overall picture is generally bad
I did try the "rubbing with a cloth fix", no luck.

Yesterday I tried a different approach by turning contrast way down (60/70 range) and brightness up to 30, while almost all recommended settings advise the opposite
Blooming on the sides is much lower, although the colors are still altered (purplish) in those areas, more noticeable on dark scenes. On both right and left edges it almost looks like when you look at the TV from the side, colors washed out and out of wack... When watching straight on the front, and in bright scenes, I do have darker spots on all four corners.

Also, I am noticing A LOT of difference on different material/sources. Some shows on Netflix are great (some HD shows way better than some 4K or HDR), Amazon Video looks probably the best once you get past the first 30 sec to 1 minute of stuttering, Designated Survivor on FIOS looks like crap while The Blacklist looks good.

I was at BestBuy yesterday and saw LG OLEDs for less than what I paid for the Sony, and looked at Sonys to see if any of them looked as bad as mine... unfortunately they did not.
post #13994 of 14867 Old 11-13-2017, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 849 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by renpar61 View Post
fssfguy and DoctorM, thank you for chiming in

I'm not sure I have clouding or DSE, probably both if the overall picture is generally bad
I did try the "rubbing with a cloth fix", no luck.

Yesterday I tried a different approach by turning contrast way down (60/70 range) and brightness up to 30, while almost all recommended settings advise the opposite
Blooming on the sides is much lower, although the colors are still altered (purplish) in those areas, more noticeable on dark scenes. On both right and left edges it almost looks like when you look at the TV from the side, colors washed out and out of wack... When watching straight on the front, and in bright scenes, I do have darker spots on all four corners.

Also, I am noticing A LOT of difference on different material/sources. Some shows on Netflix are great (some HD shows way better than some 4K or HDR), Amazon Video looks probably the best once you get past the first 30 sec to 1 minute of stuttering, Designated Survivor on FIOS looks like crap while The Blacklist looks good.

I was at BestBuy yesterday and saw LG OLEDs for less than what I paid for the Sony, and looked at Sonys to see if any of them looked as bad as mine... unfortunately they did not.
TVs on display at a store are likely in torch mode under too much ambient lighting. You wouldn't see clouding if it were cumulonimbus.

I've been burned (more than once) being an early adopter. OLED looks great in stores, but AFAIK the colors still age and fade at different rates. In theory, OLED TVs will need to be recalibrated multiple time over their life-span, which is still unknown.
A single color may eventually wear out to the point that the TV is rubbish. It's really too soon to declare OLED the tech of the future, they haven't had time to start failing.
The Jedi, Danabw and Theetjuh like this.
post #13995 of 14867 Old 11-14-2017, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Anyone think we'll get a new Vudu app now that Vudu is offering HDR10 for UHD? I'm reading that it's showing up on the Shield.

I'm a little pessimistic because we didn't even have the option for non-HDR UHD streams, which I think the Roku did before HDR10 was enabled.
post #13996 of 14867 Old 11-14-2017, 12:17 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nclou View Post
Anyone think we'll get a new Vudu app now that Vudu is offering HDR10 for UHD? I'm reading that it's showing up on the Shield.

I'm a little pessimistic because we didn't even have the option for non-HDR UHD streams, which I think the Roku did before HDR10 was enabled.
You never know. But I don't think so. Since they had plenty of time to offer UHD in the past if they were going to. They didn't need to wait for HDR10.

post #13997 of 14867 Old 11-14-2017, 11:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
TVs on display at a store are likely in torch mode under too much ambient lighting. You wouldn't see clouding if it were cumulonimbus.

I've been burned (more than once) being an early adopter. OLED looks great in stores, but AFAIK the colors still age and fade at different rates. In theory, OLED TVs will need to be recalibrated multiple time over their life-span, which is still unknown.
A single color may eventually wear out to the point that the TV is rubbish. It's really too soon to declare OLED the tech of the future, they haven't had time to start failing.
Not mention burn in. Only reason I haven’t moved on one yet. Not to mention they are bad for banding and dse. I’m very happy with my 65 and will give a couple more years although as I be said before I’ve had no issues with rebooting, clouding and the blue corners. Only issue I have is a tiny dse but it’s the least of the TVs I had over the last ten years
post #13998 of 14867 Old 11-15-2017, 05:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Not mention burn in. Only reason I haven’t moved on one yet. Not to mention they are bad for banding and dse. I’m very happy with my 65 and will give a couple more years although as I be said before I’ve had no issues with rebooting, clouding and the blue corners. Only issue I have is a tiny dse but it’s the least of the TVs I had over the last ten years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post

I agree with you both.
Mine was just an observation, if I thought that OLED was the answer my Sony would be in the basement or a guest room by now.
And BTW, in the basement now I have my almost 10 year old Pioneer Kuro Elite, the picture still blows away the Sony by far.
I'm frustrated because I replaced it with what I thought was better, and it's not.
DoctorM likes this.
post #13999 of 14867 Old 11-15-2017, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 416
I have the 55X850C. Has anyone with the same model had any issues with the latest update? I updated mine last week. Since then, some of the apps cut off while in use and the main menu setting only comes up as a faded screen, no menu items at all. I thought my apps were disconnecting because of dropping the wifi signal. I try to go to the wifi setting and the screen grays out and just sits there.
post #14000 of 14867 Old 11-15-2017, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
No I’m not trolling bud, I used oled as an example as it has the best hdr Panels. There is nothing wrong with my set i just don’t like hdr. Did you not just read the comment about the guy saying he wants to turn it off in Netflix because it looks so bad? Lots of ppl think no matter what the settings it’s washed out and bad quality. Stop being a fanboy the sets were not built for hdr and it was an after thought patch lol.

And no you can not turn off hdr on the set. If a film is hdr on Netflix I watch it through my PS4 pro or Xbox one x which have options to disable hdr for both apps and uhd discs. I suggest the Xbox one s as a uhd player. Cheers
Dear Troll,
These Sony's do HDR decently. Not horrible but very acceptable. OLED's are generally the best picture quality overall. But they still don't do proper HDR since they get no wheres near bright enough. OLED's are a good 5-10 generations away of getting things bright and right.
Many LED's on the other hand get quite bright.....much brighter than oleds....getting much closer to HDR standards than OLEDS in that category.. So there is a trade off for both currently.
So saying OLED's are the best HDR panels right now is a naive statement. So you're a bit ignorant. More research is your friend! Cheers

John
post #14001 of 14867 Old 11-15-2017, 01:55 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM4 View Post
I have the 55X850C. Has anyone with the same model had any issues with the latest update? I updated mine last week. Since then, some of the apps cut off while in use and the main menu setting only comes up as a faded screen, no menu items at all. I thought my apps were disconnecting because of dropping the wifi signal. I try to go to the wifi setting and the screen grays out and just sits there.
Yes> Since the last update I've been getting notices of stopped apps daily. The previous firmware did not have this happen very often.

post #14002 of 14867 Old 11-15-2017, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufters View Post
Dear Troll,
These Sony's do HDR decently. Not horrible but very acceptable. OLED's are generally the best picture quality overall. But they still don't do proper HDR since they get no wheres near bright enough. OLED's are a good 5-10 generations away of getting things bright and right.
Many LED's on the other hand get quite bright.....much brighter than oleds....getting much closer to HDR standards than OLEDS in that category.. So there is a trade off for both currently.
So saying OLED's are the best HDR panels right now is a naive statement. So you're a bit ignorant. More research is your friend! Cheers
Be a little more pretentious bud ! That’s my opinion of these sets, I was and am still not trolling... don’t like it ? Move on.. stop being a fanboy chief. I’ve stated many times on this forum my love of my 65” so either you can’t read, or you are the one who’s ignorant pal

Last edited by fssfguy; 11-15-2017 at 05:29 PM.
post #14003 of 14867 Old 11-16-2017, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Be a little more pretentious bud ! That’s my opinion of these sets, I was and am still not trolling... don’t like it ? Move on.. stop being a fanboy chief. I’ve stated many times on this forum my love of my 65” so either you can’t read, or you are the one who’s ignorant pal
Sorry about your luck!

John
post #14004 of 14867 Old 11-16-2017, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I see that you possibly have an xobox one x? I can't seem to get the hdr options working for Assassin's Creed origins. I have them working fine on the PS4 PRO. But the hdr options are greyed out on A.C.O. I have the pro in HDMI 2 and the one x on an HDMI 2.2 switch on hmdi 4. Any thought or will HDR not work with this set on the xboxonex?

Last edited by Shawnmt31; 11-16-2017 at 01:25 PM.
post #14005 of 14867 Old 11-16-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Yes> Since the last update I've been getting notices of stopped apps daily. The previous firmware did not have this happen very often.
I'm not updating. Especially with no noticeable positive results. Just negative of what I see here.
The last update before this one finally fixed my random reboot nightmare that a previous update gave me.
Not too concerned if any part of the new update was for security. I'll wait to see what the next one does.

John
post #14006 of 14867 Old 11-16-2017, 03:32 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
I'm not updating. Especially with no noticeable positive results. Just negative of what I see here.
The last update before this one finally fixed my random reboot nightmare that a previous update gave me.
Not too concerned if any part of the new update was for security. I'll wait to see what the next one does.
I forgot, I've also had some reboots too since the update. At least once a week. I should have never updated my 850C.

post #14007 of 14867 Old 11-16-2017, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
I forgot, I've also had some reboots too since the update. At least once a week. I should have never updated my 850C.
I didn't update mine. I think I just might wait.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
post #14008 of 14867 Old 11-17-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyennebob View Post

I have software/firmware version PKG3.885.0137NAB. This one has been pretty solid for me. So I'm good for now.
Don't fix that ain't (completely) broke.

John
post #14009 of 14867 Old 11-17-2017, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
I wish I hadn't updated mine. Sony's web site there is a fix, but it didn't work for me.
post #14010 of 14867 Old 11-17-2017, 10:52 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyennebob View Post

Good idea. Last night I needed to manually reboot my 850C because HDr wasn't being enabled. But once I rebooted it, HDR was being triggered properly. I don't recall encountering that issue before.
cheyennebob likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
4k suhd , android , firmware , hdr , ir blaster , reboot , XBR-55X850C , xbr-65x850c xbr-75x850c

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page