Sony 2015 XBR-55X850C / XBR-65X850C / XBR-75X850C owners club - Page 499 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11992Likes

post #14941 of 14995 Old 01-23-2020, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Once again webview updated which switched me to the wrong version of YouTube. Menus slide from the side (no menus along the top), and I get banner advertisements while looking at the list of videos.

In the past I've had success by clearing data, uninstalling YouTube and Webview and then reupdating.
I've done that half a dozen times now and even with the default original version of the two apps I'm STILL seeing that clunky layout for YouTube.

Does anyone have suggestions?

Edit: Tested a second x850 tonight and I see the same thing.
I think occasionally YouTube makes an internal change that requires software updates.
Webview was updated because of it. I know standard YouTube for Android got an update today. A third party app I use that works with YouTube pushed an update two days ago because of an API change.
Unfortunately, YouTube for Android TVs seems to be the bottom rung and the version we use falls back to some sort of compatibility mode until an update actually happens.

Edit 2: ....and a new version of YouTube is out fixing the issue. I had to disable the app, clear the data, reboot and then re-enable to get the correct look back, but it is back.

Last edited by DoctorM; 02-06-2020 at 01:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14942 of 14995 Old 02-06-2020, 07:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwtsn32 View Post
Yikes.

I recently gave up on trying to use the built in apps on this TV. They are just too damned slow. Some are so slow that the audio/video hiccups frequently.

I ended up spending $80 to get the top of the line Roku. So much faster than using the native TV apps it's ridiculous. I should have done it long ago.
I just did this as well. I have a XBR-65X850C and finally gave up on the slow-clunky Android interface. I spent $50 on the Roku Streaming stick plus. Plugged it into HDMI 1. The Roku recognized it as [email protected] HDCP 2.2. Super easy install. Quick and snappy interface. Everything looks great. I now have a Sony Roku TV. I agree, I should have done this long ago.
aaronwt likes this.
post #14943 of 14995 Old 02-06-2020, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 172
I am using Netflix, Disney+, Movies Anywhere and many other apps without any slowdown. I have disabled (when possible) apps that I do not use. The only app that I sometimes have occasional slowdown is YouTube but only when I play 4K content at 60fps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14944 of 14995 Old 02-06-2020, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I use my Samsung Ultra Blu-ray player for Netfilx, Amazon, etc. This way I can get the DD+ since there are 2 HDMI out ports on it. One to TV and one to receiver for audio....bypassing the limited HDMI/ARC
Many of the apps have hiccups. I do use YouTube, Native Video App, etc. I basically limit my use of the TV apps when I can. Major mistake when Sony put a under powered processor in this TV. It was always clunky since day one. Updates didn't change much either way.

I just switched recently to the touch remote since the power button on the main remote was having issues as well as other buttons. I did notice things seem to be smoother with the touch remote when using the interface. Give it a try. I wish I did this sooner. My touch remote is basically brand new. Been sitting in a drawer since I got the TV in 2015.

John
post #14945 of 14995 Old 02-07-2020, 05:46 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by lufters View Post
I use my Samsung Ultra Blu-ray player for Netfilx, Amazon, etc. This way I can get the DD+ since there are 2 HDMI out ports on it. One to TV and one to receiver for audio....bypassing the limited HDMI/ARC
Many of the apps have hiccups. I do use YouTube, Native Video App, etc. I basically limit my use of the TV apps when I can. Major mistake when Sony put a under powered processor in this TV. It was always clunky since day one. Updates didn't change much either way.

I just switched recently to the touch remote since the power button on the main remote was having issues as well as other buttons. I did notice things seem to be smoother with the touch remote when using the interface. Give it a try. I wish I did this sooner. My touch remote is basically brand new. Been sitting in a drawer since I got the TV in 2015.
The remote that comes with the Roku streaming stick plus is also a basic learning remote, on-off and volume. I was able to paired the Roku to the Sony and no longer need the Sony remote for everyday use. I have a TCL Alto 7+ soundbar connected via ARC so the remote controls the volume on the sound bar too. There is also a Roku app that acts as a remote I am going to try. All this for $50. I should have done this long ago.
lufters likes this.
post #14946 of 14995 Old 02-08-2020, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 113
quick question. I searched but found nothing relating exactly to this.

Just started using netflix on this set (75x850c) and seeing that the show Im watching is in HDR. I know on amazon you can choose either 1080p or Ultra 4K HDR versions of certain shows. I noticed the HDR versions of some look darker, but still high quality resolution. I watched the witcher on netflix and noticed there is no way of watching another version so to speak other than HDR. Is there a way to turn HDR off?

Even on my 55 4k samsung downstairs, the same show on amazon (Bosch) in HDR looks very dark and dull. It looks the same on my sony. The Witcher does look better but still somewhat dark. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also, If i was to watch netflix or any other app through a input like HDMI 4/ARC, could I turn OFF the enhanced setting making HDR non existant? Would the show play through the HDMI 4 without HDR even though the show is in fact in HDR?

thanks in advance

Last edited by nezff; 02-08-2020 at 08:12 AM.
post #14947 of 14995 Old 02-08-2020, 11:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thought I'd mention that Google app for Android TV 3.14.0.293010762 dated Feb 6 is out. Installed manually and it works fine. Still no on screen keyboard, voice searching only, which is probably why Sony is blocking it.

Also, I tested DNS66 tonight to see if I could stop the increasing number of YouTube ads and had no success with it. Has anyone found a useful ad blocker for these TVs?
post #14948 of 14995 Old 02-09-2020, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufters View Post
I use my Samsung Ultra Blu-ray player for Netfilx, Amazon, etc. This way I can get the DD+ since there are 2 HDMI out ports on it.
I was getting Dolby digital plus from the netflix app yesterday morning. I have a marantz and it was showing Dolby D+ coming in. I could swap to Dolby digital or dd+. Something I'm missing?
post #14949 of 14995 Old 02-10-2020, 11:59 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 9932 Post(s)
Liked: 6575
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezff View Post
I was getting Dolby digital plus from the netflix app yesterday morning. I have a marantz and it was showing Dolby D+ coming in. I could swap to Dolby digital or dd+. Something I'm missing?
My 850C can receive DD+ no problem. And will show that it is receiving DD+. But it transcodes it to 640Kbps DD for output. I've never seen mine output DD+. UNless something has changed recently.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #14950 of 14995 Old 02-10-2020, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
My 850C can receive DD+ no problem. And will show that it is receiving DD+. But it transcodes it to 640Kbps DD for output. I've never seen mine output DD+. UNless something has changed recently.
Ok. well my Marantz 7704 is showing Dolby D+ on the front panel, so im not sure. I can choose Dolby Digital or Dolby D+ on the front panel of the Marantz.
post #14951 of 14995 Old 02-28-2020, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 14
850c died :(

So after almost 5 years i got the 6 red blinking lights on my 55 inch x850c. tried everything mentioned online and it always boots up and when the spinning Android logo is on the screen it crashes and I get the 6 blinking lights.

I just ordered a 65 inch x900F to replace it.

Does anyone know how I can clear my information from the tv? I would like to try to sell it as damaged for whatever cash I can get, but I dont want someone to fix and then have my Google, Netflix, Prime accounts already logged in. If I cant sell I would like to just trash it, but I am worried someone from there will just take it home and maybe fix it.

Does anyone have any suggestions what I can do to clear the memory of the TV?
post #14952 of 14995 Old 02-28-2020, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by redskull09 View Post
Does anyone know how I can clear my information from the tv? I would like to try to sell it as damaged for whatever cash I can get, but I dont want someone to fix and then have my Google, Netflix, Prime accounts already logged in. If I cant sell I would like to just trash it, but I am worried someone from there will just take it home and maybe fix it.

Since the TV won't boot you probably can't clear the stored credentials but you can change the passwords on these services which would prevent someone from accessing your accounts should they get the TV repaired.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #14953 of 14995 Old 02-28-2020, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
Since the TV won't boot you probably can't clear the stored credentials but you can change the passwords on these services which would prevent someone from accessing your accounts should they get the TV repaired.
Any idea if I can open it up and pull out a hard drive or something?
post #14954 of 14995 Old 02-28-2020, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked: 844
Quote:
Any idea if I can open it up and pull out a hard drive or something?
Most likely that information is stored in NVRAM located on the main board, just speculating but that's how it is done in other devices.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #14955 of 14995 Old 02-28-2020, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
So after almost 5 years i got the 6 red blinking lights on my 55 inch x850c. tried everything mentioned online and it always boots up and when the spinning Android logo is on the screen it crashes and I get the 6 blinking lights.

I just ordered a 65 inch x900F to replace it.

If you can get the main board for a reasonable price you may look into fixing it yourself. It’s not that difficult. I did it about four years ago on a 60” Sony led and it’s still working fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #14956 of 14995 Old 03-01-2020, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
I managed to get it working long enough by smacking the back a few times. It started up and i did a factory reset and soon after it was done got the 6 red LED lights again. I found a post somewhere that someone got theirs to work that way.

So now that its all erased I will sell it as is for cheap and wait for my brand new 65 inch 900F to arrive this week.

Thanks to everyone in the forum over the years for all the help and info. I will be moving to the 900F owners thread now.
post #14957 of 14995 Old 03-02-2020, 05:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Interesting that others were having issues with the slow apps and crappy interface. I had switched over to using my 4K roku completely since it was blazing fast compared to the Sony. Not only that, a Walmart TCL special I won at a charity event booted faster and ran better picture than this TV.

I am now the owner of a brick with a red blinking light (8 times). Sony support couldn't help and the forced factory reset doesn't work. I bought a Sharp 1080i 37" LCD back in 2002 and that is still doing better than this thing. I am quite disappointed in Sony as this is my second big purchase from them with awful results.

Live and learn. On to another TV which hopefully arrives Wed.
post #14958 of 14995 Old 03-02-2020, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezff View Post
quick question. I searched but found nothing relating exactly to this.

Just started using netflix on this set (75x850c) and seeing that the show Im watching is in HDR. I know on amazon you can choose either 1080p or Ultra 4K HDR versions of certain shows. I noticed the HDR versions of some look darker, but still high quality resolution. I watched the witcher on netflix and noticed there is no way of watching another version so to speak other than HDR. Is there a way to turn HDR off?

Even on my 55 4k samsung downstairs, the same show on amazon (Bosch) in HDR looks very dark and dull. It looks the same on my sony. The Witcher does look better but still somewhat dark. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also, If i was to watch netflix or any other app through a input like HDMI 4/ARC, could I turn OFF the enhanced setting making HDR non existant? Would the show play through the HDMI 4 without HDR even though the show is in fact in HDR?

thanks in advance
Go to TV settings>>>Picture settings and look for either Dolby Vision(if your TV is DV equipped) and turn it off or HDR, then turn it off. Also if you have HDR but not DV then you should be able to turn it off as well. Give it shot.
Good luck
post #14959 of 14995 Old 03-06-2020, 07:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garvin Fouts View Post
Interesting that others were having issues with the slow apps and crappy interface. I had switched over to using my 4K roku completely since it was blazing fast compared to the Sony. Not only that, a Walmart TCL special I won at a charity event booted faster and ran better picture than this TV.

I am now the owner of a brick with a red blinking light (8 times). Sony support couldn't help and the forced factory reset doesn't work. I bought a Sharp 1080i 37" LCD back in 2002 and that is still doing better than this thing. I am quite disappointed in Sony as this is my second big purchase from them with awful results.

Live and learn. On to another TV which hopefully arrives Wed.
awful result? how old is this tv? I I thought they stopped making them like 4 years ago? That is a good lifespan for a smart tv which is starting to become slow and obsolete like any smartphone would be after 2 years.? Smart tvs are never a good value vs using roku or firesticks which hare more easily updated or replaced and have much better support due to volume used.. Regardless of cost technology still advances making the cheaper tech of tomorrow faster than the best of today. That TCL will likely run into led failure and go black long before the lifespan of the sony..

Led tvs ALL have a shorter backlighting lifespan than the older ccfl tvs but no one wants them I repaired tvs as a hobby and the thicker ccfl lcd tv are less desirable than the newer cheaper made sets. now that they dont contain mercury like ccfl lamps the GOV doesnt care how short the lifespan is on them. That said I have a xbr 55" 850b in my bedroom I got free broken with a black picture and replaced the tcon board for about $45 which repaired the issue (takes about 20 mins and requires 1 screwdriver). That was 2 years ago and its been working great since.. even has the old owners passwords still active which I dont use (because I have both roku and firsticks in place) but I second changing your passwords when buying new hardware as I've run across this dozens of times on smart tvs ive repaired..

Last edited by augiedoggy; 03-06-2020 at 07:11 AM.
post #14960 of 14995 Old 03-06-2020, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 49
There is a option to log out of the TV if you go to myaccount.google.com/security. I haven't tried it myself to see what happens, but it's a option if needed.
post #14961 of 14995 Old 03-28-2020, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Using Vudu & Disney+ in 4k

Does anyone else have the problem where 4k doesn't show up on with VUDU + Disney + movies? Also, with Disney+ & Movies Anywhere no surround sound kicks in at all (I'm using a Harman Kardon receiver...)
post #14962 of 14995 Old 03-28-2020, 06:31 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell1 View Post
Does anyone else have the problem where 4k doesn't show up on with VUDU + Disney + movies? Also, with Disney+ & Movies Anywhere no surround sound kicks in at all (I'm using a Harman Kardon receiver...)
I see 4K UHD HDR10 as the option. The TV automatically changes the picture mode to HDR Video.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

TCL 65r615
Yamaha TSR 7810
Pioneer Sub SW8MKII...
RBH Impression Series 7.0
post #14963 of 14995 Old 04-01-2020, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sorry if this has been asked and answered, but if a UHD BD player has HDR10+ will these TVs benefit from it?

I know they can't decode HDR10+ natively, but wouldn't the BD player switch the metadata it is sending to the TV, in effect pre-decoding it?
post #14964 of 14995 Old 04-02-2020, 08:16 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 9932 Post(s)
Liked: 6575
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
Sorry if this has been asked and answered, but if a UHD BD player has HDR10+ will these TVs benefit from it?

I know they can't decode HDR10+ natively, but wouldn't the BD player switch the metadata it is sending to the TV, in effect pre-decoding it?
If a UHD BD has HDR10+, then it is also required to have HDR10. Just like if Dolby Vision or HLG is used.
HDR10 is required to be on any UHD BD that uses HDR.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #14965 of 14995 Old 04-02-2020, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

So it falls back to HDR10 on our TVs and we don't get the benefit of the plus. You'd think the UHD BD Player should be able to convert it. Still, Sony doesn't seem to be on the HDR10+ wagon yet. We probably COULD have gotten it in an update if they weren't all in on DolbyVision.
post #14966 of 14995 Old 04-05-2020, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Anyone know how to get a 55x850C screen replaced? I just moved and the teens that helped me were not as careful as I would have expected, resulting in a cracked screen.

Last edited by samdu; 04-05-2020 at 06:22 PM.
post #14967 of 14995 Old 04-07-2020, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone else have issues with the built-in Chromecast? I can't cast to it any longer, it does not show up as a device in e.g., YouTube on my iPhone, or other apps. Other streaming apps on the TV itself works, so it has network access

Not exactly sure when I started experience the issues, but it was in the past weeks/month

Version number is 1.44.194651
When I uninstalled the updates restoring the original version, it worked. Reinstalling the new doesn't work
Original version is 1.29.104695

I also have a seperate issue that the using my iPhone as a remote with the official Android TV app requires me to enter the passcode every time I open the app. That has been going on for at least a year, it used to work well.
post #14968 of 14995 Old 04-07-2020, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Slight PEBKAC on the Android TV issue. I was testing after the reinstall from my iPhone that I had disconnected from the wifi. But it was broken as I tested before on my MBP, but the reinstall fixed it
post #14969 of 14995 Old 04-19-2020, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I need some Help! Is my TV bricked after failed update?

My 55x850c rarely gets used these days as it's been moved to the bedroom. I noticed there was a software update for it last night and tried to do the OTA Update. It appeared to download the update, then went to the screen with the logo showing Not to unplug the TV. The Screen then went black with just the LED light up in blue. After Over an Hour I unplugged the TV and plugged it back in. Now it shows that same update screen for about 30 seconds, then goes back to the black screen I've never had an issue updating until now.

I tried inserting a USB drive with the software on it, but it does the same thing. I also tried a Factory reset, which from what I read on Sony was " Hold Power and Volume Down(On the back of the TV,) and plug it back in while holding the buttons for 30 seconds until LED is green." This doesn't work either..

Is there any way to recover? Thanks!
post #14970 of 14995 Old 04-20-2020, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gullzway View Post
I need some Help! Is my TV bricked after failed update?

My 55x850c rarely gets used these days as it's been moved to the bedroom. I noticed there was a software update for it last night and tried to do the OTA Update. It appeared to download the update, then went to the screen with the logo showing Not to unplug the TV. The Screen then went black with just the LED light up in blue. After Over an Hour I unplugged the TV and plugged it back in. Now it shows that same update screen for about 30 seconds, then goes back to the black screen I've never had an issue updating until now.

I tried inserting a USB drive with the software on it, but it does the same thing. I also tried a Factory reset, which from what I read on Sony was " Hold Power and Volume Down(On the back of the TV,) and plug it back in while holding the buttons for 30 seconds until LED is green." This doesn't work either..

Is there any way to recover? Thanks!

Try holding the green power button on your sony remote for 5 seconds and see if reboots.

If that doesn't work, I would try try the USB drive with software update again: sony.com/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-lcd-tvs-android-/xbr-55x850c/articles/00131053
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
4k suhd , android , firmware , hdr , ir blaster , reboot , XBR-55X850C , xbr-65x850c xbr-75x850c

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page