Sony 2015 XBR-55X850C / XBR-65X850C / XBR-75X850C owners club - Page 69 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11975Likes

post #2041 of 14940 Old 06-18-2015, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by imtjnotu View Post
Just got an update notification. Anyone know the change log?
This is the only information from Sony esupport site.

File Description
UPDATE: System Software Update
Release Date: 6/01/2015
Version: PKG2.197.0010NAB
File Size: 1.02 GB

Sony has designed the BRAVIA® Televisions software update process to be customer friendly. This software update (version PKG2.197.0010NAB) provides the following benefits:
Improvements over version PKG2.173.0010NAB:
  • Supports Netflix® streaming service (4K Models)
  • Improves Lip Sync for HDMI input
  • Improves performance and stability of the USB video playback features
  • Improves general performance of the TV
Benefits provided by previous updates and included in version PKG2.197.0010NAB:
  • Resolves a condition where a black screen and no sound may occur when an input changes from YouTube® to another input
  • Resolves a condition where a black screen may occur during USB video playback
  • Supports Internet based EPG (Electronic program guide)
  • Supports Netflix streaming service (2K Models)
  • Supports Amazon, Pandora®, and Crackle™ applications
  • Supports Force Reboot by holding down the Power key on the BT or IR remote controller
  • Improves performance and stability of overall UI operation
  • Improves performance and stability of the Action Menu
  • Improves Wi-Fi connectivity of the TV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2042 of 14940 Old 06-18-2015, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 965 Post(s)
Liked: 450
I love it when they say "improves general performance".
post #2043 of 14940 Old 06-18-2015, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalto View Post
Has Amazon released a 4K capable Android app yet? Keep in mind that the good and the bad of Android TV is that Sony can't push the App until Amazon actually makes the App.

That's not exactly true. Some of the apps on the TV come from Android TV in general but some of the apps are specifically developed by or for Sony and the Amazon Instant Video app falls into this second category. From what I've read, Amazon and Sony have an agreement permitting the Amazon Instant Video app on Sony TVs. Amazon has no plans to develop and release an Instant Video App for Android TV in general, let alone a 4K Android TV app, since that would take away from FireTV sales. In fact, from what I've read, Amazon was so upset that people were taking the Amazon Instant Video app off of Sony TVs and loading it onto other Android TV devices that they have since implemented a system to detect and block this use of the app. Regardless of who created the app, the app was specifically developed for Sony TVs and Sony support has stated that they would release an update to the app this month that would enable support for Amazon 4K/UHD content. While I had hoped that the current Sony update would contain the promised update to the Amazon app, it does not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2044 of 14940 Old 06-18-2015, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dziegler View Post
This is the only information from Sony esupport site.

File Description
UPDATE: System Software Update
Release Date: 6/01/2015
Version: PKG2.197.0010NAB
File Size: 1.02 GB

Sony has designed the BRAVIA® Televisions software update process to be customer friendly. This software update (version PKG2.197.0010NAB) provides the following benefits:
Improvements over version PKG2.173.0010NAB:
  • Supports Netflix® streaming service (4K Models)
  • Improves Lip Sync for HDMI input
  • Improves performance and stability of the USB video playback features
  • Improves general performance of the TV
Benefits provided by previous updates and included in version PKG2.197.0010NAB:
  • Resolves a condition where a black screen and no sound may occur when an input changes from YouTube® to another input
  • Resolves a condition where a black screen may occur during USB video playback
  • Supports Internet based EPG (Electronic program guide)
  • Supports Netflix streaming service (2K Models)
  • Supports Amazon, Pandora®, and Crackle™ applications
  • Supports Force Reboot by holding down the Power key on the BT or IR remote controller
  • Improves performance and stability of overall UI operation
  • Improves performance and stability of the Action Menu
  • Improves Wi-Fi connectivity of the TV
This is the change log of the previous update. Not todays one.
post #2045 of 14940 Old 06-18-2015, 02:04 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBarber View Post
That's not exactly true. Some of the apps on the TV come from Android TV in general but some of the apps are specifically developed by or for Sony and the Amazon Instant Video app falls into this second category.
that isn't correct. The Amazon Android TV app is in the Android TV Play Store, and made for Android TV - not specific devices.

Quote:
From what I've read, Amazon and Sony have an agreement permitting the Amazon Instant Video app on Sony TVs. Amazon has no plans to develop and release an Instant Video App for Android TV in general, let alone a 4K Android TV app,
Not true. Sony Android TV's have it already. Just not the 4k version yet.

Quote:
since that would take away from FireTV sales. In fact, from what I've read, Amazon was so upset that people were taking the Amazon Instant Video app off of Sony TVs and loading it onto other Android TV devices that they have since implemented a system to detect and block this use of the app.
Ha, I think you've been had on mate.
post #2046 of 14940 Old 06-18-2015, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktownhero View Post
Looks like you had the color space set incorrectly. That's what happens if you try to use BT2020 on sources without that color output. The setting is best left on auto.

Sent via Tapatalk on the Oneplus One
Noobs, LMFAO.......
post #2047 of 14940 Old 06-18-2015, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Husker View Post
This is my 850C. I just got it two days ago and I am not happy about the way it looks
Dude, WTH is that suppose to be? You expect us see anything wrong there?
post #2048 of 14940 Old 06-18-2015, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dme121081 View Post
I swapped my 850B for an 850C and wow was that a mistake. I have to believe I got a bad set. The bright light from the left and right sides was beyond unacceptable. I tried the settings provided here by ktownhero with no luck. Anytime I switched the picture mode from standard, the picture appeared to have a greyish haze to it. The android OS left a lot to be desired as well.

So in the end, with my tail between my legs, I returned it to best buy and picked up a Samsung UN65JS8500. While not perfect.... this set is absolutely fantastic. The border at the top and bottom of the screen with widescreen movies is so black....well it's not black... it's off.

Best of luck to you 850C guys. I know it has been said that there will be a firmware update to fix the lighting issue, but for me it wasn't worth being stuck with the set if that doesn't indeed happen.
Says the guy with 17 posts. LMAO...
post #2049 of 14940 Old 06-18-2015, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks2013 View Post
Ktownhero - not sure how to quote from my iPhone, but I did not change any settings like that. The picture posted from last night was with the Standard picture mode. I have also noticed the same color banding using your setting on my TV.
Says the guys with 25 posts. I see a pattern already... SMFH....
post #2050 of 14940 Old 06-18-2015, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itwillneverend View Post
Noobs, LMFAO.......
Too bad I didn't switch that off of auto... A $2.5K TV shouldn't have issues like mine did that would require some expert to adjust it.
post #2051 of 14940 Old 06-18-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Says the guys with 25 posts. I see a pattern already... SMFH....
What are you trying to say here. You don't welcome people to a forum that are new and trying to have a discussion?
New_user1 likes this.
post #2052 of 14940 Old 06-18-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny_guitar View Post
I wonder how many Samsung employees are posting on this thread....
No just Trolls
post #2053 of 14940 Old 06-18-2015, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasyn View Post
owners should help one another out. another itwillneverend
Dude you still trolling here, wow. I come back here a week later and your still trolling this thread. Lame!!!

And yea another itwillneverend. If you are not happy with the set then exchange for another one or move on to another brand. Strop trolling this thread already...
post #2054 of 14940 Old 06-18-2015, 03:18 PM

Liked: 54
Looks like today's update enabled hulu. I see it on my list of apps now. That's definitely something I've been waiting for. Maybe we'll get an HBO Now app too, eventually.
jasyn likes this.
post #2055 of 14940 Old 06-18-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
What are you trying to say here. You don't welcome people to a forum that are new and trying to have a discussion?
uh huh
post #2056 of 14940 Old 06-18-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Says the guy with 17 posts. LMAO...
He had the same issues I was having with my set, regardless of how many posts we have. There are other people having the same problems with this set. He was just providing information to the readers of the forum and even wished 850C owners luck with their sets. No need to rip on someone for doing that Itwillneverend. Come on man.
dme121081 and New_user1 like this.
post #2057 of 14940 Old 06-18-2015, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny_guitar View Post
that isn't correct. The Amazon Android TV app is in the Android TV Play Store, and made for Android TV - not specific devices.

Not true. Sony Android TV's have it already. Just not the 4k version yet.

Ha, I think you've been had on mate.
I just searched the Android TV Play store from my TV and did not find an Amazon Instant Video app. Nor did I find an Amazon Instant Video Android TV app when I searched the Play store from my computer. Nor does Amazon list general Android TV as being compatible with Amazon Instant Video on their website.

In addition, there is the following report from last month (http://phandroid.com/2015/05/13/amaz...-nexus-player/)

"Sony was crafty enough to secure themselves an exclusive to Amazon’s Instant Video app for their Android TV products, but why should Bravia owners have all the fun? If you have yourself a Nexus Player or the original Android TV device — ADT-1 — you’ll be happy to know that it’s now possible to download and install the APK on your device.
The app was extracted from Sony’s firmware just as it exists. You sideload it onto your Android TV device if possible and you’ll be able to run it just like you would any other app. It’s possible the app works with other Android TV products, though only the Nexus Player and ADT-1 are reported to have been tested."

Finally, there are these comments posted just yesterday by multiple individuals who recently purchased NVidia Shield Android TV devices (https://www.silicondust.com/forum/vi...p?f=89&t=20315)

"the Nvidia Shield is looking better than a FireTv all the time now. Seems to be only missing the Amazon Instant Video"

"Apparently only Sony has managed to break (I mean, negotiate a lowering of) the embargo that Amazon has imposed on devices for TV viewing that do not have a curved arrow on them."

"I'm a Prime customer and we watch Amazon Prime a lot with a Roku. Lack of Prime on Android TV is a disappointment for me."

I do agree that Sony TV does have an Amazon Instant Video Android TV app (although this app is currently not compatible with 4K/UHD content), and never said otherwise. Where we disagree is whether this app was specifically developed and licensed for Sony TVs or available for general Android TV. The data I've seen indicate that the app was specifically developed and licensed for Sony TVs. If you can provide a URL where the Amazon Instant Video app is available for general Android TV, please do so and I'll be happy to pass it along in the forum where the NVidia Shield owners are complaining about the lack of an Amazon Instant Video Android TV app.
Beeper and jasyn like this.
post #2058 of 14940 Old 06-18-2015, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by flugelboy View Post
Looks like today's update enabled hulu. I see it on my list of apps now. That's definitely something I've been waiting for. Maybe we'll get an HBO Now app too, eventually.
Thanks for the update.
post #2059 of 14940 Old 06-18-2015, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Quote:
uh huh

Didn't you previously state that you were booted off the site a couple of times?

AVS Terms of service:

You may not:
  • Restrict or inhibit any other user from using and enjoying the Web Site.
post #2060 of 14940 Old 06-18-2015, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by flugelboy View Post
HBO Go already works on the Sony TV, I've been watching Game of Thrones all week. Open HBO Go on ipad, select the episode I want to watch, hit cast to my TV.

Now sure, a built in app may be slightly easier to open if my ipad wasn't in the living room. But since HBO doesn't support 4k anyway, there really no other benefit other than a convenience factor (or if you lack a tablet in your living room).
post #2061 of 14940 Old 06-18-2015, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hao Zhou View Post
HBO Go already works on the Sony TV, I've been watching Game of Thrones all week. Open HBO Go on ipad, select the episode I want to watch, hit cast to my TV.

Now sure, a built in app may be slightly easier to open if my ipad wasn't in the living room. But since HBO doesn't support 4k anyway, there really no other benefit other than a convenience factor (or if you lack a tablet in your living room).
So what tools are needed to cast ipad to droidTV?

Sony 65x850c
Denon AVR-1712
Linn Katana
post #2062 of 14940 Old 06-18-2015, 11:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfous View Post
So what tools are needed to cast ipad to droidTV?
Perhaps the TV has a built in chromecast already? When you are viewing HBOGO, is there no cast icon? Assuming you do have the icon, hit it, and it should see the TV as an option as long as they are on the same network.

http://www.solveyourtech.com/watch-h...romecast-ipad/
aMa13 likes this.
post #2063 of 14940 Old 06-18-2015, 11:46 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Perhaps the TV has a built in chromecast already? When you are viewing HBOGO, is there no cast icon? Assuming you do have the icon, hit it, and it should see the TV as an option as long as they are on the same network.

Thx, I didn't realize that some apps have that built in. I was trying to cast some movies I have and there seemed to be a lot of work arounds needed.

Sony 65x850c
Denon AVR-1712
Linn Katana
post #2064 of 14940 Old 06-19-2015, 05:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalto View Post
Has Amazon released a 4K capable Android app yet? Keep in mind that the good and the bad of Android TV is that Sony can't push the App until Amazon actually makes the App.
Technically the Fire TV app is an Android app but Amazon doesn't play nice. They make the Android TV app separate and no they have not released it supporting 4k yet.

The extra kicker is I'm pretty sure the Amazon app is specific to Sony TVs. Amazon is acting weird with their Fire TV devices and I'm pretty sure has no plans to make a general Android TV app... Even though Android is the entire foundation of Fire OS

Last edited by ktownhero; 06-19-2015 at 05:22 AM.
post #2065 of 14940 Old 06-19-2015, 05:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeper View Post
Didn't you previously state that you were booted off the site a couple of times?

AVS Terms of service:

You may not:
  • Restrict or inhibit any other user from using and enjoying the Web Site.
But why are you guys here if you aren't owners? I don't get it. There are a few of you here that either never bought or returned the TV and keep posting here with nothing positive to say.

Sure, nobody can or should restrict you, but what about common decency?

iatacs19 and New_user1 like this.
post #2066 of 14940 Old 06-19-2015, 06:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 215
I'm not sure if this got lost in the conversation, but there are some Sony TV models that do have the Amazon app with 4K compatibility, such as the XBR850B, but those models do not have the Android TV.
post #2067 of 14940 Old 06-19-2015, 06:29 AM

Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hao Zhou View Post

Well, yes, you can cast any app on your phone/tablet that allows casting and that's how I've been watching Hulu and HBO. But it would be nice to have the apps integrated into the TV to have a single interface with a single remote control. Plus, having the Android TV search be able to show search results from the installed apps is really nice. I like being able to search for content and have the TV tell me that it found it in Hulu or Netflix or Play Music.
post #2068 of 14940 Old 06-19-2015, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1282 Post(s)
Liked: 1216
Release Date: 6/18/2015
Firmware Version: PKG2.237.0010NAB

Improvements over version PKG2.197.0010NAB:
Improves picture quality (dynamic range, noise reduction, sharpness)

Benefits provided by previous updates and included in version PKG2.237.0010NAB:
Supports Netflix® streaming service (4K Models)
Improves Lip Sync for HDMI input
Improves performance and stability of the USB video playback features
Improves general performance of the TV
Resolves a condition where a black screen and no sound may occur when an input changes from YouTube® to another input
Resolves a condition where a black screen may occur during USB video playback
Supports Internet based EPG (Electronic program guide)
Supports Netflix streaming service (2K Models)
Supports Amazon, Pandora®, and Crackle™ applications
Supports Force Reboot by holding down the Power key on the BT or IR remote controller
Improves performance and stability of overall UI operation
Improves performance and stability of the Action Menu
Improves Wi-Fi connectivity of the TV
ktownhero and aMa13 like this.

Sony XBR-75X940C, two XBR-65X930C, Sony XBR-65X900B, two Sony FMP-X10 4K Media Players, four Sony SWF-BR100 Wireless Subwoofers.
post #2069 of 14940 Old 06-19-2015, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_E View Post
Release Date: 6/18/2015
Firmware Version: PKG2.237.0010NAB

Improvements over version PKG2.197.0010NAB:
Improves picture quality (dynamic range, noise reduction, sharpness)

Uggh!, Wonder if our settings were changed?
I forgot to check.
post #2070 of 14940 Old 06-19-2015, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

I was confused at first as well, as I never had googlecast before.

I found out:
- You don't need the chromecast app. That is for managing a USB stick chromecast's settings, and doesn't work/apply to this Sony TV
- All you need to do is install the app's that support Chromecast

For example:
Install app HBO GO
Open app on ipad (it doesn't seem to work on my iphone, which was disappointing)
Select a movie/tv show to play
Click the chromecast button in the corner (I can't find this on the iphone HBO GO app), select your TV

The TV should show up automatically without any setup, as long as the TV and your ipad is on the same home network. Since my TV is wired and my ipad is wireless, I had to make sure my router wasn't isolating the two.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
4k suhd , android , firmware , hdr , ir blaster , reboot , XBR-55X850C , xbr-65x850c xbr-75x850c

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page