Sony 2015 XBR-55X850C / XBR-65X850C / XBR-75X850C owners club - Page 70 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11975Likes

post #2071 of 14940 Old 06-19-2015, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hao Zhou View Post
HBO Go already works on the Sony TV, I've been watching Game of Thrones all week. Open HBO Go on ipad, select the episode I want to watch, hit cast to my TV.

Now sure, a built in app may be slightly easier to open if my ipad wasn't in the living room. But since HBO doesn't support 4k anyway, there really no other benefit other than a convenience factor (or if you lack a tablet in your living room).
Personally, the benefit of having built in apps is that the TV is directly wired to the router. Much better and more stable internet connection that way. But yeah - not a deal breaker by any means if it's not a 4k app.

- Klipsch RF-82 ii, RC-62 ii, RS-52 ii
- Klipsch RW-12D
- Sony HW50es
- Firehawk G3
- Denon 2113
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 14940 Old 06-19-2015, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flugelboy View Post
Well, yes, you can cast any app on your phone/tablet that allows casting and that's how I've been watching Hulu and HBO. But it would be nice to have the apps integrated into the TV to have a single interface with a single remote control. Plus, having the Android TV search be able to show search results from the installed apps is really nice. I like being able to search for content and have the TV tell me that it found it in Hulu or Netflix or Play Music.
I've searched for things but the results only seem to show google movies and youtube.

Is it supposed to also search netflix, amazon, and hulu by default?

- Klipsch RW-12D
- Sony HW50es
- Firehawk G3
- Denon 2113
post #2073 of 14940 Old 06-19-2015, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Has anyone been able to pair a PS3 or PS4 controller with the TV yet?

- Klipsch RW-12D
- Sony HW50es
- Firehawk G3
- Denon 2113
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2074 of 14940 Old 06-19-2015, 01:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by baloo_btru View Post
I've searched for things but the results only seem to show google movies and youtube.

Is it supposed to also search netflix, amazon, and hulu by default?
I did a quick voice search this morning (using the remote that came with the TV) for "so you think you can dance", and it showed that hulu had that show available. To be honest, I haven't seen any results for netflix or amazon yet.
post #2075 of 14940 Old 06-19-2015, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoArch View Post
Switching over from a 65" AX800U to the 65X850C (TV set for Friday delivery). Loved the Panasonic, but after four replacements, still had flashlight issues and vertical banding. Hoping to do better with Sony (scary to hear similar issues). Let everyone know after this weekend.

TV arrived and BB guys set it up. Looked good, plug in internet and the update of firmware cycled. After that, I'm noticing a very good amount of light bleed on the bottom left and right sides. If the scene is somewhat dark, it appears faded. If very dark, like star wars, much worst. Haven't calibrated yet, but will try Disney WOW disc to see if that does anything. Didn't notice before the update. Anyone experience this? Haven't read thru all the posts yet.

Thanks!
post #2076 of 14940 Old 06-19-2015, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Has anyone been able to pair a PS3 or PS4 controller with the TV yet?
Yes, it has to be a ps4 dualshock4 and you pair it up under settings Bluetooth and the share button on the remote.
post #2077 of 14940 Old 06-19-2015, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Does anybody with the X850c notice that in darker scenes the brightness seems to "auto-adjust" like crazy? Even though the lighting in my room remains the same. It looks terrible and is very noticeable. It's not a minor brightness change either it goes up a lot then down. I know some people before said that this might have to do with subtitles being white. But this happens even without subtitles. I've had two sets of the 55 inch x850c and this newest one still has the problem.
post #2078 of 14940 Old 06-19-2015, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by aartisan View Post
Does anybody with the X850c notice that in darker scenes the brightness seems to "auto-adjust" like crazy? Even though the lighting in my room remains the same. It looks terrible and is very noticeable. It's not a minor brightness change either it goes up a lot then down. I know some people before said that this might have to do with subtitles being white. But this happens even without subtitles. I've had two sets of the 55 inch x850c and this newest one still has the problem.
What is your advanced contrast enhancer set at?
post #2079 of 14940 Old 06-19-2015, 09:19 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Update yesterday fixed Lip-sync Netflix Issues, Picture looks better too

Update yesterday fixed Lip-sync Netflix Issues, Picture looks better too on my 55x850c. HULU showed up but I don't deal with commercials, so won't be using HULU. HD to 4k up-scaling is improved in Netflix.
post #2080 of 14940 Old 06-19-2015, 10:18 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
This is due to the frame dimming - any LED TV that's not a FALD set will use this trick to make the blacks blacker by dimming the whole screen during dark scenes.

If it annoys you, just turn it off (I think i may be black adjust or auto contrast enhancer).

It seems most people's recommended settings turn it off anyway, for example:
http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd...x850c/settings

Last edited by Hao Zhou; 06-19-2015 at 10:22 PM.
post #2081 of 14940 Old 06-20-2015, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Personally, the benefit of having built in apps is that the TV is directly wired to the router. Much better and more stable internet connection that way. But yeah - not a deal breaker by any means if it's not a 4k app.
Using Google Cast still uses your wired connection. When you "cast" it just passes the baton to your TV, the device you casted from is no longer in use.

This is why Google Cast is so far superior to Apple Airplay. Airplay creates a dependency on the device because it actually streams from the device. Google Cast just hands off instructions to the TV so that the TV can play the video / audio itself, complete with your wired Internet connection and without draining your device battery

Sent via Tapatalk on the Oneplus One

Last edited by ktownhero; 06-20-2015 at 07:07 AM.
post #2082 of 14940 Old 06-20-2015, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hao Zhou View Post
This is due to the frame dimming - any LED TV that's not a FALD set will use this trick to make the blacks blacker by dimming the whole screen during dark scenes.

If it annoys you, just turn it off (I think i may be black adjust or auto contrast enhancer).

It seems most people's recommended settings turn it off anyway, for example:
http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd...x850c/settings
I don't recommend turning it off. It looks great ☺

post #2083 of 14940 Old 06-20-2015, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 10
IS it too much to ask for an extended trail of netflix, hulu, etc when buying a $ 2600 TV?

By the way, love the TV..
Still can't get my charter STB remote to use the "select" key in TV mode.
post #2084 of 14940 Old 06-20-2015, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smotz View Post
IS it too much to ask for an extended trail of netflix, hulu, etc when buying a $ 2600 TV?

By the way, love the TV..
Still can't get my charter STB remote to use the "select" key in TV mode.
Call Netflix and Hulu and ask why they don't offer better free trials?

post #2085 of 14940 Old 06-20-2015, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Bought the 65" 850. It is stunning!!! Smotz, I'm having trouble with Select button on my Charter remote as well.
Smotz likes this.
post #2086 of 14940 Old 06-20-2015, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by alliknowis View Post
Bought the 65" 850. It is stunning!!! Smotz, I'm having trouble with Select button on my Charter remote as well.
Please let me know if you figure it out.
post #2087 of 14940 Old 06-20-2015, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Just received my 65" 850c today. Moving up from a 47" panasonic vierra e50 I've had for a few years.

Extremely happy with my purchase, literally everything looks so amazingly better and haven't run into any bugs or glitches.

4k Netflix is incredible and I can definitely tell the difference.

A+++ would buy again

EDIT: using it for both movies/tv AND games on the standard setting. I felt like the gaming setting felt a bit yellowy and the input lag feels fine on standard. No calibration needed (if you aren't picky I guess)!
post #2088 of 14940 Old 06-20-2015, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousSounds View Post

EDIT: using it for both movies/tv AND games on the standard setting. I felt like the gaming setting felt a bit yellowy and the input lag feels fine on standard. No calibration needed (if you aren't picky I guess)!
I agree, I see no input lag whatsoever on this TV on regular settings. I'm thinking most of the complaints of input lag from gamer's must be due to low range AVR'S or poor HDMI switches.
I've never had a problem and I've been playing games on HDTV's since the tube HDTV days. I am having a heck of a time calibrating color and black level to for my PS4, But I think it's just the games I've been playing lately and the color/gamma range they are using: GTAV & FFXV. Been trying to achieve this look in GTAV:
I was certain he might have used a filter but he swears he didn't, The blacks are a bit crushed but it looks so cool!

Last edited by LD-838D; 06-20-2015 at 10:22 PM.
post #2089 of 14940 Old 06-20-2015, 10:21 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LD-838D View Post
What is your advanced contrast enhancer set at?
It was on medium but just set it to off. Looks great now! Thank you
post #2090 of 14940 Old 06-20-2015, 10:30 PM

Quote:
It was on medium but just set it to off. Looks great now! Thank you
Sounds like you have a really dark viewing area, If anything try it on low if you are watching low bitrate content or DVD's.
It does do a really good job of producing deep black levels, one of those Sony circuitry things ie: reason we buy SONY tv's.
post #2091 of 14940 Old 06-21-2015, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I feel like the latest update really improved the picture quality. I notice it on all of my content.

post #2092 of 14940 Old 06-21-2015, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBarber View Post
I just searched the Android TV Play store from my TV and did not find an Amazon Instant Video app. Nor did I find an Amazon Instant Video Android TV app when I searched the Play store from my computer. Nor does Amazon list general Android TV as being compatible with Amazon Instant Video on their website.

In addition, there is the following report from last month (http://phandroid.com/2015/05/13/amaz...-nexus-player/)

"Sony was crafty enough to secure themselves an exclusive to Amazon’s Instant Video app for their Android TV products, but why should Bravia owners have all the fun? If you have yourself a Nexus Player or the original Android TV device — ADT-1 — you’ll be happy to know that it’s now possible to download and install the APK on your device.
The app was extracted from Sony’s firmware just as it exists. You sideload it onto your Android TV device if possible and you’ll be able to run it just like you would any other app. It’s possible the app works with other Android TV products, though only the Nexus Player and ADT-1 are reported to have been tested."

Finally, there are these comments posted just yesterday by multiple individuals who recently purchased NVidia Shield Android TV devices (https://www.silicondust.com/forum/vi...p?f=89&t=20315)

"the Nvidia Shield is looking better than a FireTv all the time now. Seems to be only missing the Amazon Instant Video"

"Apparently only Sony has managed to break (I mean, negotiate a lowering of) the embargo that Amazon has imposed on devices for TV viewing that do not have a curved arrow on them."

"I'm a Prime customer and we watch Amazon Prime a lot with a Roku. Lack of Prime on Android TV is a disappointment for me."

I do agree that Sony TV does have an Amazon Instant Video Android TV app (although this app is currently not compatible with 4K/UHD content), and never said otherwise. Where we disagree is whether this app was specifically developed and licensed for Sony TVs or available for general Android TV. The data I've seen indicate that the app was specifically developed and licensed for Sony TVs. If you can provide a URL where the Amazon Instant Video app is available for general Android TV, please do so and I'll be happy to pass it along in the forum where the NVidia Shield owners are complaining about the lack of an Amazon Instant Video Android TV app.
Yeah. Amazon is acting very anti consumer in this space. They are intentionally withholding Android TV support.

The funny thing about that is that their Fire OS is a fork of Android. There is little to no cross platform development needed, the app is already there... They just don't want to release it because they want to sell Fire TV products.

I'm glad Sony worked out a deal with them, but honestly Amazon is getting on my bad side with this behavior.

Crypter and Dick W like this.
post #2093 of 14940 Old 06-21-2015, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I'm trying to decide between the Sony X850c and the Samsung JS8500 in 55" size. I realize that most people on this thread prefer the X850c but I'm sure most of you at least considered the JS8500. What motivated you to pull the trigger on the X850c?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I feel strongly both ways!
post #2094 of 14940 Old 06-21-2015, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuralSex View Post
I'm trying to decide between the Sony X850c and the Samsung JS8500 in 55" size. I realize that most people on this thread prefer the X850c but I'm sure most of you at least considered the JS8500. What motivated you to pull the trigger on the X850c?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
I prefer the image that the Sony produces. And I'm a huge fan of Android TV.

post #2095 of 14940 Old 06-21-2015, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktownhero View Post
I'm glad Sony worked out a deal with them, but honestly Amazon is getting on my bad side with this behavior.

I suspect that if Amazon didn't want to license content from Sony, we wouldn't have the Amazon app on Sony TVs either.
Dick W likes this.
post #2096 of 14940 Old 06-21-2015, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Will 3D prove to be a thorny issue for some people who are ready to take 4k resolution to another level?

If you're a big fan of 3D and you're reading this post, you obviously either own or are going to buy a 4k TV. So when 4k Blu-ray is released, supposedly during the Holiday season this year, you could be faced with some unpleasant choices. At least as I understand it, there will be no 4k 3D Blu-ray titles; you'll only be able to see 3D in upscaled 1080p quality, which won't be the equal of true 4k.

To see where the problem really comes in, let's journey to a galaxy far, far away, namely to about July 2016. That's when Star Wars VII will probably be released on disc, and it will no doubt come in a variety of flavors; DVD, Blu-ray, 3D Blu-ray and 4k. If you want the 1080p 3D version, do you buy it separately from the 4k package, or will you have to pay a big premium for a possible combo package?

If you decide to just buy 4k from this point on, then what sense did it make to buy into a large 3D library? Or you may decide to buy 4k now in the hopes that 4k 3D Blu-ray will be coming, but that could prove to be a lot of double-dipping. Or you could decide not to buy any 4k movies that have an alternate 3D rendition.

All of that's bad enough. But it may also be possible that the new 4k Blu-ray players may not pass along a 3D signal, in which case you would have to have a 1080p 3D player hooked into your system as well as a 4k Blu-ray player, assuming you have a big financial commitment to 3D discs. You'd think developers would take that into account, but don't be surprised if the first models have nothing to do with 3D, banking on customers buying a newer model a year later.

Sadly, there may be a real possibility that developers of the new 4k disc technology have decided to cut out 3D completely. I'd hate to see that. On my Sony 850c I'm getting a superb 3D image with the minor adjustments I've made, and it's irritating to think that 3D has no future.

In closing, I'd like to ask 3D fans here a question. If the above scenario I've outlined is indeed true, how will it affect your purchase strategy when 4k is released? Will you continue to buy 1080p 3D titles, possibly using a separate Blu-ray player, or will you decide that any more money spent on 3D is a waste of your finances?
post #2097 of 14940 Old 06-21-2015, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I was told we would be able to play PS3 games on these TVs without having the system plugged in... And my box says Playstation on it so im assuming it's there lol. Does anyone know how to do this?

75" 850c
post #2098 of 14940 Old 06-21-2015, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1291 Post(s)
Liked: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kfan View Post
To see where the problem really comes in, let's journey to a galaxy far, far away, namely to about July 2016. That's when Star Wars VII will probably be released on disc, and it will no doubt come in a variety of flavors; DVD, Blu-ray, 3D Blu-ray and 4k. If you want the 1080p 3D version, do you buy it separately from the 4k package, or will you have to pay a big premium for a possible combo package?

If you decide to just buy 4k from this point on, then what sense did it make to buy into a large 3D library? Or you may decide to buy 4k now in the hopes that 4k 3D Blu-ray will be coming, but that could prove to be a lot of double-dipping. Or you could decide not to buy any 4k movies that have an alternate 3D rendition.
It will certainly be interesting to see how this al plays out. My suspicion is that a 2D UHD disc will not be packaged with a 1080p 3D disc but we will see.

Quote:
All of that's bad enough. But it may also be possible that the new 4k Blu-ray players may not pass along a 3D signal, in which case you would have to have a 1080p 3D player hooked into your system as well as a 4k Blu-ray player, assuming you have a big financial commitment to 3D discs. You'd think developers would take that into account, but don't be surprised if the first models have nothing to do with 3D, banking on customers buying a newer model a year later.
I find this scenario fairly unlikely. I think support for 3D BD will be much the same in UHD players as it is in current BD players.

Quote:
Sadly, there may be a real possibility that developers of the new 4k disc technology have decided to cut out 3D completely. I'd hate to see that. On my Sony 850c I'm getting a superb 3D image with the minor adjustments I've made, and it's irritating to think that 3D has no future.
Despite the fact that 3D did not turn out to to be the revolution that some people were expecting 3D clearly has a future at least for movies. There continue to be many 3D movies released every year.

The reality is that it will be several years before UHD BDs become mainstream. It will be interesting to see if a UHD 3D standard will be released by then. I guess they will have to find a way to overcome the bandwidth limitations.
post #2099 of 14940 Old 06-21-2015, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1282 Post(s)
Liked: 1216
Some of you asked for information about the 900 and 910C.

Sony Electronics Announces Pricing and Availability for X900C and X910C Ultra-thin 4K Ultra HD TVs

55X900C - $2,499
65X900C - $3,999
75X910C - $5,499

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300102137.html

Sony XBR-75X940C, two XBR-65X930C, Sony XBR-65X900B, two Sony FMP-X10 4K Media Players, four Sony SWF-BR100 Wireless Subwoofers.
post #2100 of 14940 Old 06-21-2015, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I ordered a 65c from BB for 7-11 delivery. It will be replacing a 50 Kuro monitor I have had for almost seven years. Loved, loved that panel, but a bit of burn-in during certain scenes has left me wanting a replacement.

I am looking forward to the 65 > 50 experience. This thread has been a big help. I especially appreciate the PQ settings that I will try.

I have ordered a custom mantle for my fireplace (mostly ambiance, not much heat) where I will place two SVS Ultra bookshelf speakers and an Ultra center. I also bought a Marantz AVR (1605), a small one that will easily fit in the bottom of an adjacent glassed in display unit. I will start the receiver/speaker break-in run his week, waiting for the mantle.

Big speakers are going downstairs for a music only set up. My wife is good with the new, smaller speakers, and so am I. I am giving her living room back to her. WAF!

This is fun!

Mike Rife

The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also. -- Mark Twain

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
4k suhd , android , firmware , hdr , ir blaster , reboot , XBR-55X850C , xbr-65x850c xbr-75x850c

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page