AVS Forum banner

Sony 2015 XBR-55X850C / XBR-65X850C / XBR-75X850C owners club

1M views 15K replies 1K participants last post by  DoctorM 
#1 · (Edited)
***OFFICIAL*** SONY 2015 XBR-55X850C / XBR-65X850C / XBR-75X850C owners club

FOR ANY QUESTION ON THE TV, SEE THE EXCELLENT FAQ PUT TOGETHER BY DANABW

Hi everyone !

Just started this thread for owners of the X850C series. I just received my 65" yesterday and I can say it looks pretty good after a couple of hours of testing.

I'm intrigued by the potential and risks of Android TV, it can be really positive, but it will depends so much on the reliability of the operating systems and applications. Let's see how this hold up in the next couple of weeks.

As of today, I'm pretty happy with what I've seen picture-wise on the TV, the color reproduction and screen uniformity seems very good.

I'm curious to hear the thoughts of other owners !

Some photos from Sony :

Specs (thanks to Itwillneverend) :

Product Highlights:
55” 65” & 75" screens (measured diagonally)
glossy screen, black bezel and Dark Chrome Mirror Flat shaft stand
Ultra High Definition TV with 4K screen resolution (3840 x 2160 pixels)
HEVC for watching streamed 4K content from sources like Netflix® and Amazon Instant Video (requires Internet speed of at least 20Mbps)
DIRECTV 4K Ready — DIRECTV subscribers with the Genie Whole-Home HD DVR can enjoy 4K service and full DVR features without an additional receiver
3D-ready TV (active 3D glasses sold separately)
Dynamic Edge LED backlight with frame dimming for excellent picture contrast and black levels
TRILUMINOS™ Display technology for a wider color range
Motionflow™ XR 960 blur reduction (120Hz refresh rate plus backlight scanning)
4K Processor X1 engine and 4K X-Reality™ Pro upscaler ensure the cleanest, clearest picture for all video sources
PlayStation™Now PS3™ game streaming (subscription and controller not included; details)
Internet-ready Android TV with Google Cast, voice search and Play Store apps
Netflix Recommended TV — offers a unique feature set that makes Netflix even easier to use and enjoy
fast built-in 802.11ac Wi-Fi® to link to a wireless network
video and music streaming from a DLNA-compatible Windows® PC
MHL-compatible HDMI input for viewing photos/videos from a compatible smartphone on the TV's screen
one-touch screen mirroring with Miracast™ enabled smartphones and tablets
tuner receives over-the-air HDTV broadcasts antenna required)
QAM cable TV tuner (subscription required to receive cable channels — contact your local service provider for details)
built-in down-firing speakers (10 watts x 2)
two remotes: a One-flick touchpad remote control, plus a standard IR remote
free downloadable apps for iOS® and Android™ let you use a compatible smartphone or tablet as a remote control

Connections and Dimensions:
6 A/V inputs, including:
4 HDMI 2.0 (all inputs are HDCP 2.2 compatible for connecting to 4K video sources)
1 component video (selectable component/composite)
1 composite video
RF input for antenna/cable signals
optical digital audio output
stereo minijack headphone output — can also be connected to a sound bar or other audio system
Ethernet port for a wired connection to a home network
3 USB inputs for connecting a camera or thumb drive
detachable stand
wall-mountable (bracket not included)
warranty: 1 year parts & labor — in-home service or pick-up for service

See less See more
#441 ·
Hey guys I went to the Sony store in NYC today and recorded the 850C. If your interested here is a video I posted on YouTube. I also have the 930C which is in that thread now. Enjoy. Be sure to click on 4k to get the best quality.

Are you using one of those voice changers? Something weird about your voice. Sounds like those people giving an interview who wish to conceal their identity. LOL

#444 · (Edited)
In a perfect world a company like Sony or Vizio, or even Sammy or even Panasonic if the were so inclined, could call say AUO and say "I need 10,000 75 inch 4K panels with Passive 3D and a VA panel". We'll fax over the exact specifications we need. Bidding will end September 1.
For all I know that may be the panel process at Sony it's not unusual in (some procurement ) I was just giving the various examples OTOH of our
our business that is much more complex and a much larger scale and the companies rarely if ever use off the shelf components ,parts or sub assys down to the semi conductors in the moduals those are usually custom ASIC it's a whole lot more complex and costly business than procuring displays and screwing together a TV with contract made sub assys and boards and cabinets all at contract companies and them shipping product .

I would wager once Sony designs are validated at Sony and the OEM they do little than write checks and manage parts of the supply chain they don't 'make' too many TV's these days .ofc they arent the only ones by a long shoot .. :p

PS I've seen some different sets from different companies have the exact same panels in them including Westinghouse and Sony for example and Toshiba and Dynex.

The thing is now Sony's buying a lot of LCD Cells and having Foxconn make it a panel.... OTOH there is no reason the procurement of those LCD cells cant be exactly as you describe once the production forecasts are in either .....I've seen that too but only after enginerring
,(sometimes legal /risk mitigation ) and field validation unless it was a simple commodity or consumable ! :p

#445 · (Edited)
12 year olds have better diction and spelling.
OTOH maybe the mods will come and clean all up these (off topic) pedantic violation of TOC posts and dole out some time outs ...................................:eek:.

Reactions: Itwillneverend
#446 ·
Thanks for the setting suggestions all. One more question...

I am experiencing audio delay sync issues and they seem to be on my Apple TV and directly through the Android/Youtube software on the tv itself (I have a 55x850c). Does anyone know what could be causing this? I did not have issues like this on the 850B model I had.

Really frustrating as this s now the FOURTH replacement TV I have had from Sony. Do you all think it is a firmware issue, router issues or the hardware itself?

Thanks in advance!!!

#447 · (Edited)
Hey guys I went to the Sony store in NYC today and recorded the 850C. If your interested here is a video I posted on YouTube. I also have the 930C which is in that thread now. Enjoy. Be sure to click on 4k to get the best quality.
cool video I thought the blonde walking ahead of U was ur squeeze at first then I figured out you were were the video geek shooting ur walk and she was just up in front and didn't know or care :p

Hey :mad:.................not too many Hotties where they at around there ?

Video was cool I played it at 1080p to the 50" Sony in here vibrant colors typical of demo loops the TV U shot seemed to render them oK what do you think and what model was that ? :confused:

I have a lot of high bit rate 4K factory demo loops on my hdd from Sony ,LG,Samsung ,etc even on this 1080p 5,000 : 1 contrast panel they can make U drool they R nothing like TV or even most blue ray ............the PC vid card scales them down to real decently 1080P/60 HDMI YbCbr 4:4:4 ......and since 1080p 2160p either way is a 1:1 upscale /downscale and both the TV and PC are YbCbr4:4:4 there is no pixel manipulation going on those things are stunning major EYE Candy Beware U might not want to watch anything after these :p see link below .

I wish aside from the demo loops that can show a sets *potential* they would show something typical like OTA /CATV/SAT so one could see
the *usual * digital artifact ,mosquito noise,other artifacts /noise and bit starved posturization and the remediation efficacy on the sets .
That would be a legitimate reason *for me * if it were significantly better and*( not soft ) while having good color ,ect for me to buy an 55X850B at this time . otherwise with 4K/3D not being an imperative 4 *me more likely I will see what shakes out in 2016 that being said whatever set you choose I hope it's coOOL 4 U :cool:

B]here is the good stuff:[/B] some of it is beyond excellent

Downloadable high bit rate 4K demo loops Samsung,Sony ,LG,Panasonic and some other stuff and some newer stuff ,some of the LG is more than excellent ( way better than You tube VP9 )

Use your browser translator here > > http://demo-uhd3d.com/ U can downscale to 1080p in PC and still drool on a good set
If you have an IGPU and want to do that in software Daum Pot player 64 works good to play it so does VLC OTH WMP usually chokes on it even though it can read it sometimes .

OTOH modern APU /IGPU should work fine with one of these players just B careful were U get Daum Pot player x64 and only score VLC straight from Vidolan.org if U don't have them .

TBH this is some of the best anything I've ever seen outside of Magnolia B/B and it compares with what they got , it will let know just how good your TV is OTOH it will let you know just how s***y our CATV/SAT and *some OTA service is by comparison if U have a decent TV ofc U probably wouldn't be reading this if you didn't.☺☺

This place has 2K and 4K playable and downloadable stuff you have to drill down lot of stuff there I haven't checked it out a lot yet but I did score and play a few OK demo loops there .http://www.demo-world.eu/2d-demo-trailers-hd/

PS I think *some of the newbies* recently posting here and *one other or two others * don't like technical posts .............. because they don't know much and are only trolling and posing :p

#449 ·
Saw the 55X850C at BB. I liked it a lot from what I was able to see and glad a I waited rather than getting the X850B. I prefer the edge lit in comparison to what I saw in the 75" X850C. The dark corners were really noticeable to me (the TV was just setup and on the Welcome screen which is white).

Picture was uniform and blacks were great. The off angle viewing is definitely an issue if you have side seating...Wasn't able to see any upconvert material from 720p but I'm personally not concerned as everything I watch is minimum 1080.

Side note: The TV, on all day long, was pretty hot underneath the bottom of the panel.

I do wish that they used last years stand and that the panel was about at least an 1" higher in height...
Several sites now show the 55x850c on sale at $1,599...game on...

#450 · (Edited)
Ace Of Space said:
The 55X850C and 65X850C will be on sale at Fry's on Sunday.
http://www.frys.com/ads/page102
Cool name !

Several sites now show the 55x850c on sale at $1,599...game on...
CoOL , OK I can see that a lot better than $2199.00 , ...$1,599 is more in line with what I was thinking all along both ya all ,thanx for the heads up I might do a drive by there tomorrow (without strapping on my Glock 40 :p ) and go in there or bb , I've intended on seeing one in person all along just not at $2199.00 :cool:

#452 ·
Yeah...already ordered mine from Abt for $1574. Wish a nearby B&M would sell for $1599 AND no sales tax which would allow me to pickup soon...but the extra week of waiting is worth the $130+ in savings.

Edit: just saw Frys will pay sales tax...gonna have to check it out!
Aw, I got all excited about your sales tax comment, but a quick google later, "Offer Not Valid in Indiana, Illinois and Oregon." I'm in IL.

#453 ·
I'm holding out for "A-Prime" to price drop (Memorial Day Sale). If not, BB has already dropped to $1,599.99. Sony replaced my failed SXRD-60XBR2 in 2011 with an XBR-60LX900 which has been stellar.

Don't we need to start an "Official 55x850c" thread for reviews and calibrations data. This is the only dis-similar unit of the group. Not sure how good the x850b calibration settings will translate to the C?

#457 ·
You probably want to head over to Amazon now, because the Sony's are now on sale. The XBR55X850C is $1598 and the XBR65X850C is $2598.
The 65x850c is cheaper @ BB 2299

Reactions: TheCrow1994
#459 ·
Sony price protection

Price Assurance

We want you to shop with the knowledge that you are getting great products, great service and great value. When you buy from Sony, your purchase is backed with a 30-day price guarantee. This is just one of our many programs and services designed to create convenient and customer friendly experiences for all of our customers.

If you’ve already purchased a product from Sony Store and find a lower price for that exact same product at any Sony venue or Sony authorized reseller within 30 days, contact the Sony Store location where you purchased the product or call us toll free at 1-877-865-7669 and we will happily refund you the difference.

This period is extended during the holiday season. Beginning November 1st through December 15th eligible products may be returned up to January 15th 2015 for an exchange or full refund to the original form of payment when accompanied by the original receipt or valid proof of purchase. Additionally, items purchased from November 1st – December 15th will be covered by the Sony price assurance policy until January 15th 2015.

If you are ready to purchase a Sony product and find that exact same product in-stock and advertised at a lower price at any Sony Store venue or Sony authorized reseller let us know and we'll offer you a similar price. Simply provide us the proof of price while that price is in effect to get an adjustment.