AVS Forum banner

Sony 2015 XBR-55X850C / XBR-65X850C / XBR-75X850C owners club

1M views 15K replies 1K participants last post by  DoctorM 
#1 · (Edited)
***OFFICIAL*** SONY 2015 XBR-55X850C / XBR-65X850C / XBR-75X850C owners club

FOR ANY QUESTION ON THE TV, SEE THE EXCELLENT FAQ PUT TOGETHER BY DANABW

Hi everyone !

Just started this thread for owners of the X850C series. I just received my 65" yesterday and I can say it looks pretty good after a couple of hours of testing.

I'm intrigued by the potential and risks of Android TV, it can be really positive, but it will depends so much on the reliability of the operating systems and applications. Let's see how this hold up in the next couple of weeks.

As of today, I'm pretty happy with what I've seen picture-wise on the TV, the color reproduction and screen uniformity seems very good.

I'm curious to hear the thoughts of other owners !

Some photos from Sony :

Specs (thanks to Itwillneverend) :

Product Highlights:
55” 65” & 75" screens (measured diagonally)
glossy screen, black bezel and Dark Chrome Mirror Flat shaft stand
Ultra High Definition TV with 4K screen resolution (3840 x 2160 pixels)
HEVC for watching streamed 4K content from sources like Netflix® and Amazon Instant Video (requires Internet speed of at least 20Mbps)
DIRECTV 4K Ready — DIRECTV subscribers with the Genie Whole-Home HD DVR can enjoy 4K service and full DVR features without an additional receiver
3D-ready TV (active 3D glasses sold separately)
Dynamic Edge LED backlight with frame dimming for excellent picture contrast and black levels
TRILUMINOS™ Display technology for a wider color range
Motionflow™ XR 960 blur reduction (120Hz refresh rate plus backlight scanning)
4K Processor X1 engine and 4K X-Reality™ Pro upscaler ensure the cleanest, clearest picture for all video sources
PlayStation™Now PS3™ game streaming (subscription and controller not included; details)
Internet-ready Android TV with Google Cast, voice search and Play Store apps
Netflix Recommended TV — offers a unique feature set that makes Netflix even easier to use and enjoy
fast built-in 802.11ac Wi-Fi® to link to a wireless network
video and music streaming from a DLNA-compatible Windows® PC
MHL-compatible HDMI input for viewing photos/videos from a compatible smartphone on the TV's screen
one-touch screen mirroring with Miracast™ enabled smartphones and tablets
tuner receives over-the-air HDTV broadcasts antenna required)
QAM cable TV tuner (subscription required to receive cable channels — contact your local service provider for details)
built-in down-firing speakers (10 watts x 2)
two remotes: a One-flick touchpad remote control, plus a standard IR remote
free downloadable apps for iOS® and Android™ let you use a compatible smartphone or tablet as a remote control

Connections and Dimensions:
6 A/V inputs, including:
4 HDMI 2.0 (all inputs are HDCP 2.2 compatible for connecting to 4K video sources)
1 component video (selectable component/composite)
1 composite video
RF input for antenna/cable signals
optical digital audio output
stereo minijack headphone output — can also be connected to a sound bar or other audio system
Ethernet port for a wired connection to a home network
3 USB inputs for connecting a camera or thumb drive
detachable stand
wall-mountable (bracket not included)
warranty: 1 year parts & labor — in-home service or pick-up for service

See less See more
#8,461 ·
I picked-up a 55" 850C last Tuesday. This is a "Stop-Gap" purchase until OLED comes down in price & get their reliability record cleaned-up. Hopefully in the next 2 years.

Just wanted to note: Watched the Pats/Broncos & Cards/Panthers games OTA last night & I'm pleased overall. Switched over to D*TV & the feed looked pretty solid.

One quick question if you can answer me. Does anyone use the video preset "Cinema Pro" picture setting? The reason I ask is I tried @ least 7 or 8 different settings from Rtings.com & others. The Cinema Pro simply looks the best too me (I view in a dark room with no outside light) I know this is subjective. Any thoughts on this?

Coming from a Pioneer 720P 50" Kuro Plasma the 850C holds up fairly well, but it has it's limitations vs. my plasma which I sold.
I mostly use Cinema Home unless I'm watching an HDR feed.

By the way, could you watch some Amazon Prime HDR 4K and let me know how that fares against your plasma tuned eyes? I have always heard that plasma ruled the roost, but I never bit the bullet.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

#8,462 ·
I picked-up a 55" 850C last Tuesday. This is a "Stop-Gap" purchase until OLED comes down in price & get their reliability record cleaned-up. Hopefully in the next 2 years.

Just wanted to note: Watched the Pats/Broncos & Cards/Panthers games OTA last night & I'm pleased overall. Switched over to D*TV & the feed looked pretty solid.

One quick question if you can answer me. Does anyone use the video preset "Cinema Pro" picture setting? The reason I ask is I tried @ least 7 or 8 different settings from Rtings.com & others. The Cinema Pro simply looks the best too me (I view in a dark room with no outside light) I know this is subjective. Any thoughts on this?

Coming from a Pioneer 720P 50" Kuro Plasma the 850C holds up fairly well, but it has it's limitations vs. my plasma which I sold.
I'm a cinema pro user (as noted in the picture settings tab of the X850C FAQ) and though I revisit other picture modes off an on I keep coming back to Cinema Pro, just looks the best for me. I use it w/light sensor on, which resolves my wife's request for a brighter picture during the day (our family room has lighting that swings from very bight to very dark due to lots of windows and a southern exposure).

#8,463 ·
I use Cinema Pro also for just about everything except for HDR content and then I use game mode for game systems.

But I was wondering. Is anyone else having issues with Amazon HDR UHD content? Since Friday when playing the Amazon UHD content with HDR, my 850C has not been switching to HDR. With files on a USB drive it still switches automatically. So has this been an issue before? And if so what is the solution to fix it? Or is this a wide spread problem from Amazon this weekend?

#8,464 ·
I use an adjusted Standard picture mode most of the time and sometimes Cinema Home on movies and less often Cinema pro and ofc HDR default on HDR content :)

#8,466 ·
I use Cinema Pro also for just about everything except for HDR content and then I use game mode for game systems.

But I was wondering. Is anyone else having issues with Amazon HDR UHD content? Since Friday when playing the Amazon UHD content with HDR, my 850C has not been switching to HDR. With files on a USB drive it still switches automatically. So has this been an issue before? And if so what is the solution to fix it? Or is this a wide spread problem from Amazon this weekend?
I just checked:

1. Open Amazon app
2. Action menu>Picture adjustments; select HDR mode and change Color setting to Min
3. Play HDR episode of Red Oaks - as expected shows up Black and White (looked pretty cool, actually) :)
4. Reset HDR settings to normal (Color = 50)
5. Play HDR episode - things come up normal HDR mode w/color restored

So for me HDR is being engaged on Amazon.

#8,467 ·
Have you completely powered off (unplugged) both the tv and AVR (and probably the extenders) after making the CEC/ARC changes? Sometimes it takes a reboot to get everything to sync up.

are your cables HDMI 1.3a or better?
yes got a response from the rep:

John,

Thanks for contacting Tech Support. Unfortunately, the B-500-EXT-230-RS does not support ARC. The only extender sets I’ve seen that support ARC reliably are the Transformative Engineering HD-1 and HL-2.​

Dissapointing, but posting here in case anyone else runs into the same thing. Now off to eBay to see how much these Transformative Engineering models cost... :mad:

#8,468 ·
Hey everyone. I have another question. I notice that the news/sports scrolling along the bottom of the screen is very jerky on my 850C. Is there a setting to make this better? Not a big deal but I know on my old Samsung that there was a setting that made this better. I think it was called "film mode" ??? Appreciate the help and suggestions.

#8,469 ·
Thanks so much for your reply. I got sound to play over Netflix (which is progress) but then I went to youtube to listen to a music video on the soundbar and I'm back to no sound. Went back to netflix and sound comes through the soundbar. Rebooted without improvement. Any ideas? I'm close to sucking it up and returning the LG and buying a Sony soundbar.

I assume you've done the following? At least started w/this setting before you starting try to change things when it didn't work?

Home>Settings>Sound>Speakers. Choices: TV Speakers, Audio System. Set to Audio System to send sound to your audio system via HDMI/ARC or Optical output from the TV to your receiver or soundbar.

Also, to get best audio output (but not required for audio out to "just work"):
To output Dolby Digital 5.1/DTS from the TV to your audio system via optical out or ARC/HDMI use Auto 2 setting: Menu path: Home>Settings>Sound>Digital Audio Out. Choices: Auto 1, Auto 2, PCM. IMPORTANT: Set to Auto 2

Also check your optical audio cable - they can come w/small protective caps over the bulb at each end - make sure you've removed the caps from both ends.

See the X850C FAQ in my sig - you'll find a lot of excellent info from other owners on features, screen settings, and troubleshooting stuff like this.

#8,470 ·
I just checked:

1. Open Amazon app
2. Action menu>Picture adjustments; select HDR mode and change Color setting to Min
3. Play HDR episode of Red Oaks - as expected shows up Black and White (looked pretty cool, actually) :)
4. Reset HDR settings to normal (Color = 50)
5. Play HDR episode - things come up normal HDR mode w/color restored

So for me HDR is being engaged on Amazon.
Thanks. I just checked and it's working again. From Friday through 1Am this morning(the last time I checked), HDR was not engaging on those Amazon titles. Now I see that it is. So I have no idea what the issue was. For me I just look at the power usage. Since it goes way up when HDR mode is engaged.

#8,471 ·
Thanks. I just checked and it's working again. From Friday through 1Am this morning(the last time I checked), HDR was not engaging on those Amazon titles. Now I see that it is. So I have no idea what the issue was. For me I just look at the power usage. Since it goes way up when HDR mode is engaged.
Good to confirm. Your test is easier than mine. :)

#8,472 ·
Hey everyone. I have another question. I notice that the news/sports scrolling along the bottom of the screen is very jerky on my 850C. Is there a setting to make this better? Not a big deal but I know on my old Samsung that there was a setting that made this better. I think it was called "film mode" ??? Appreciate the help and suggestions.
For me, when watching sports, I have found I like setting the digital noise reduction to Medium. It's in the clarity menu under custom picture settings. For sports which has a lot of on screen logos and scrolling of graphics at the bottom of the screen, this really smooths out the jagged edges of the graphics and overall makes for a better looking presentation of the sports. This may not be a prevailing opinion. Try it and see what you think. I know this noise reduction setting does tend to smooth out the picture a bit so there is some sacrifice. But to me it's overall better and the smoothing effect is negligible on the game action itself.

#8,473 ·
yes got a response from the rep:
John,

Thanks for contacting Tech Support. Unfortunately, the B-500-EXT-230-RS does not support ARC. The only extender sets I’ve seen that support ARC reliably are the Transformative Engineering HD-1 and HL-2.​
Dissapointing, but posting here in case anyone else runs into the same thing. Now off to eBay to see how much these Transformative Engineering models cost... :mad:
how far of a run are you using that you need an extender? I would think that every current/modern extender would support at least HDMI 1.3a or better, which SHOULD thus support ARC and CEC without any effort.

#8,474 ·
I thought I would post my interaction with Sony today regarding the problem with the Video Player app stretching everything to 16x9 aspect ratio? Has anyone else actually reported this to Sony? I'm curious what your interactions have been and if anyone has heard this will be fixed soon.

Here is my chat log with Sony support:

Server Message: ‎3‎:‎04‎:‎22‎ ‎PM

Please wait. An operator will be with you shortly.

Abbot (C8X5): ‎3‎:‎05‎:‎07‎ ‎PM

Hello. Welcome to Sony Online Support. My name is Abbot. Please allow me a moment to review your concern.

You: ‎3‎:‎06‎:‎04‎ ‎PM

I am wondering if Sony is addressing the issue where the video player app in Android TV stretches the video to 16x9 aspect ratio regardless of the original aspect ratio of the video? For example, it will stretch a video in 4x3 aspect ratio to 16x9, etc. This is a known issue in the forums as of a recent firmware update which broke the video players ability to display the native aspect ratio.

Abbot (C8X5): ‎3‎:‎08‎:‎08‎ ‎PM

As this TV is a 16:9 TV so this TV will stretch the videos to 16:9.

You: ‎3‎:‎09‎:‎05‎ ‎PM

Sorry this is not an acceptable answer as many movies are shot in aspect ratios other than 16x9. Most TVs will letterbox the video so that it's displayed in its original aspect ratio. The Video Player app on this TV did this prior to a recent firmware update.

Abbot (C8X5): ‎3‎:‎09‎:‎48‎ ‎PM

Okay, let me check if a setting on this TV will help that or not.

Abbot (C8X5): ‎3‎:‎11‎:‎54‎ ‎PM

Okay, please try the below settings on TV and check if that help.

You: ‎3‎:‎11‎:‎57‎ ‎PM

Thanks. I can send you a screen shot of the available settings in the app. Since the firmware update, the setting called "wide mode" is missing in the app. It used to be there but now is gone.

Abbot (C8X5): ‎3‎:‎12‎:‎54‎ ‎PM

Home>>settings>>Display>>Picture>>Auto picture mode>>ON.

You: ‎3‎:‎13‎:‎06‎ ‎PM

Let me have a look. One moment. Thanks.

Abbot (C8X5): ‎3‎:‎13‎:‎09‎ ‎PM

Sure.

You: ‎3‎:‎15‎:‎13‎ ‎PM

I see "auto display area" is that the same thing?

Abbot (C8X5): ‎3‎:‎15‎:‎47‎ ‎PM

May I know are you in screen settings?

You: ‎3‎:‎16‎:‎17‎ ‎PM

From home screen I clicked on settings, then picture & display, then picture adjustments.

You: ‎3‎:‎16‎:‎31‎ ‎PM

sorry then screen not picture adjustments

Abbot (C8X5): ‎3‎:‎17‎:‎05‎ ‎PM

Do you see Picture option under picture and display option?

You: ‎3‎:‎17‎:‎37‎ ‎PM

Under Picture & Display I have the following options: Picture adjustments, 3D settings, Screen, Dynamic Range

Abbot (C8X5): ‎3‎:‎18‎:‎10‎ ‎PM

Please select picture adjustments.

Abbot (C8X5): ‎3‎:‎19‎:‎00‎ ‎PM

Do you see Auto picture mode option there?

You: ‎3‎:‎19‎:‎48‎ ‎PM

If I select Screen from that menu I get the following options: Wide mode, Auto Wide, 4:3 default, Auto display area, Display area, Screen position

You: ‎3‎:‎20‎:‎31‎ ‎PM

But the only one I can select is Screen position. The other ones are all greyed out.

Abbot (C8X5): ‎3‎:‎21‎:‎30‎ ‎PM

Sad to know that, then I am sorry to know that if those options are grayed out that means the TV will automatically select the input aspect ratio.

You: ‎3‎:‎22‎:‎31‎ ‎PM

Exactly. So back to my original question, is Sony aware of this and going to fix it in a recent firmware update? Like I said, the Video Player app would allow the user to display the video in its native aspect ratio prior to the recent update. Lots of people are complaining about this in the AVS forums.

Abbot (C8X5): ‎3‎:‎24‎:‎16‎ ‎PM

Yes, Sony keeps a track of the customers review and will fix them in the coming updates but as an additional feedback, I will take your personal feedback and then pass it on to our technical engineers who will look into this matter and release a fix for the same.

You: ‎3‎:‎25‎:‎01‎ ‎PM

That would be great and is really what I was hoping you could do for me. If your engineers need to reach out to me, I can be reached at nate@*********.com or by phone at XXX-XXX-XXXX. Thanks for your chat.

Abbot (C8X5): ‎3‎:‎25‎:‎25‎ ‎PM

Please let me copy your details before closing the chat.

Abbot (C8X5): ‎3‎:‎26‎:‎26‎ ‎PM

Okay, We now have copied your contact details and will reach out to you if needed, Thanks again for your valuable feedback.

#8,475 · (Edited)
I thought I would post my interaction with Sony today regarding the problem with the Video Player app stretching everything to 16x9 aspect ratio? Has anyone else actually reported this to Sony? I'm curious what your interactions have been and if anyone has heard this will be fixed soon.

Here is my chat log with Sony support:

Server Message: ‎3‎:‎04‎:‎22‎ ‎PM

Please wait. An operator will be with you shortly.

Abbot (C8X5): ‎3‎:‎05‎:‎07‎ ‎PM

Hello. Welcome to Sony Online Support. My name is Abbot. Please allow me a moment to review your concern.

You: ‎3‎:‎22‎:‎31‎ ‎PM

Exactly. So back to my original question, is Sony aware of this and going to fix it in a recent firmware update? Like I said, the Video Player app would allow the user to display the video in its native aspect ratio prior to the recent update. Lots of people are complaining about this in the AVS forums.

Abbot (C8X5): ‎3‎:‎24‎:‎16‎ ‎PM

Yes, Sony keeps a track of the customers review and will fix them in the coming updates but as an additional feedback, I will take your personal feedback and then pass it on to our technical engineers who will look into this matter and release a fix for the same.

You: ‎3‎:‎25‎:‎01‎ ‎PM

That would be great and is really what I was hoping you could do for me. If your engineers need to reach out to me, I can be reached at nate@*********.com or by phone at XXX-XXX-XXXX. Thanks for your chat.

Abbot (C8X5): ‎3‎:‎25‎:‎25‎ ‎PM

Please let me copy your details before closing the chat.

Abbot (C8X5): ‎3‎:‎26‎:‎26‎ ‎PM

Okay, We now have copied your contact details and will reach out to you if needed, Thanks again for your valuable feedback.
I've posted about this in the Sony forum as well, but hadn't contacted Sony directly on it.

I'm not 100% sure he fully understood the issue (no fault of yours, he just sounds a little confused at certain points) - hopefully he really got it and more importantly the engineers get it. :)

Thanks for posting this, and thanks for contacting Sony. I just sent a PM on this to a moderator in the Sony forum as well...maybe we'll get some traction.

#8,476 ·
Hi Everyone,

I just got my 65x8500C (Hong Kong version) which is 65x850C in your world. Enjoying it lots and playing around with the setup using the settings at
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x850c/settings

I just found that there is an external input settings which I can change each HDMI ports to Enhance, what does that do?? Is HDR available for this TV yet and where I can set this up?

#8,477 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

I just got my 65x8500C (Hong Kong version) which is 65x850C in your world. Enjoying it lots and playing around with the setup using the settings at
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x850c/settings

I just found that there is an external input settings which I can change each HDMI ports to Enhance, what does that do?? Is HDR available for this TV yet and where I can set this up?
Welcome and hope you are enjoying your new TV!

You are in luck - see the X850C FAQ in my sig, below. It contains info on the Enhanced HDMI setting (whether you need it depends on the devices you are connecting), here's an excerpt from the section on the Enhanced setting:

"The Enhanced setting on the TV HMDI ports advertises the following additional supported timings to the connected source device: 4K (50, 60Hz): YCbCr 4:4:4/8 bit, YCbCr 4:2:2 /8bit/10bit/12bit, YCbCr 4:2:0 / 10bit or RGB signal. Enhanced mode is required for 10 bit content, HDR content. [Aaronwt]: "You don't need to have enhanced on for the input to accept 2160P60. You do need enhanced on to accept a 10 bit signal though. None of my 65X850C inputs are set to enhanced. But they have no problem receiving 3840 x 2160P at 60Hz from my 4K devices. Like a Roku 4, TiVo Bolt, and the Sony FMP-X10."

The X850C FAQ also contains recommended picture settings from users, an HDR FAQ (yes, it is HDR compatible but no, it isn't HDR Premium certified), a 3D FAQ, DirecTV 4K FAQ, Common problems and troubleshooting, etc.

Tons of useful info in the FAQ so that you don't have to read this entire thread (or the entire internet) :) and so we don't have to re-discuss things covered multiple times. :)

Take a look at the FAQ and come back w/any questions and ideas. :)

#8,478 ·
I know some of you were having problems believing what your Sony was displaying when watching the NFC & AFC Championship games yesterday.
I'm here to clear them up.
The Broncos Defense pressured Brady all day and won the game as Payton should have retired after The SeaHawks *****-Slapped them year before last.
The Cardinals are getting humiliated before the entire NFL viewing demographic because Bruce Arians is a bombastic baboon who looks more like Barney Fife than Marshall Dillion, i.e., the new sheriff in town and a QB who makes more stupid decisions than a meth addict.
Regardless, Spam Newton is classless and has no respect for his opponents and the NFL. It's all about Cam.

#8,479 ·
how far of a run are you using that you need an extender? I would think that every current/modern extender would support at least HDMI 1.3a or better, which SHOULD thus support ARC and CEC without any effort.
I know... crazy that extenders exist to accommodate TVs that can't be near other AV equipment but they wouldn't support ARC. It's not like Smart TVs are brand new to the market. These things weren't cheap either.

1 HDMI run is about 75 ft and the other run is about 175 ft.

Cables are all high speed with ethernet so I guess it's the extender.

Guess I'm the only one in this boat?

#8,480 ·
I know... crazy that extenders exist to accommodate TVs that can't be near other AV equipment but they wouldn't support ARC. It's not like Smart TVs are brand new to the market. These things weren't cheap either.

1 HDMI run is about 75 ft and the other run is about 175 ft.

Cables are all high speed with ethernet so I guess it's the extender.

Guess I'm the only one in this boat?
Let me guess...you live in a tree house and the DVR is in the trunk and the TV is in the treetop?! :)