2015 Samsung SEK-3500U/ZA Evolution Kit - Page 599 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13383Likes

post #17941 of 23773 Old 07-16-2016, 05:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2636 Post(s)
Liked: 5212
Quote:
Originally Posted by swing1951 View Post
There are three, maybe four contributors here who are especially well versed in the ins and outs of the better Samsung TVs and home visuals in general, but especially when it comes to LCD-LED displays. His majesty, the good King Richard, is one of the top cats for sure. That he has a sense of humor really adds a lot of points. People who take things, especially themselves, too seriously are quite off-putting, to say the least. Cheers.

Samsung UN78HU9000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UN40HU7000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-ray Player; Apple TV 4K
Arris VIP5662W UHD Whole Home DVR; Chromecast Ultra
Marantz SR7005 Receiver; Magnepan Speakers; Martin Logan Subwoofer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17942 of 23773 Old 07-16-2016, 07:08 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
Uh, What's the inference here? That I take myself too seriously? Didn't think that I had, but I could be wrong; I hope that I don't. Musician, are you taking this as a slam against you? It was not intended as such nor toward any specific member individual; it was a generalization. I value your input a lot and have for a long time.
Musician likes this.
post #17943 of 23773 Old 07-17-2016, 04:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richard View Post
In terms of actual audio quality, whether you have your Blu-ray disc player's HDMI audio output set to PCM or Bitstream doesn't matter.
There is another ammendment that needs adding to this:
A player can't decode Atmos or DTS:X metadata information and serve that as PCM, so in this instance you must use Bitstream if you want immersive audio as intended by the studio, using PCM in this instance would result in a lower quality audio experience.
galonzo and King Richard like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17944 of 23773 Old 07-17-2016, 06:25 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richard View Post
Bitstream is basically the raw "undecoded" data being sent from the TV or Blu-ray Player or Cable/Satellite Receiver or Gaming Console to the Audio Receiver or Sound Bar for it to decode.

PCM means that the TV or Blu-ray Player or Cable/Satellite Receiver or Gaming Console is performing the audio decoding and sending the decoded signal to the Audio Receiver or Sound Bar.

Let's use a Blu-ray Player connected with an HDMI connection to a Home Theater Receiver as an example.

If you set the Blu-ray Player to output audio as PCM, the player will perform the audio decoding of all Dolby/Dolby TrueHD and DTS/DTS-HD Master Audio - related soundtracks internally and send the decoded audio signal in uncompressed form to your Home Theater Receiver. As a result, your Audio Receiver will not have to perform any additional audio decoding before the audio is sent through the amplifier section and the speakers. With this option, the Receiver will display the term "PCM" on its front panel display.

If you select Bitstream as the HDMI audio output setting of your Blu-ray Player, it will bypass its own internal Dolby and DTS audio decoders and send the undecoded signal to your HDMI-connected Home Theater Receiver. With this setting, the Audio Receiver will do all the audio decoding of the incoming signal. In this case, the Receiver will display Dolby, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, DTS-HD Master Audio, etc... on its front panel display depending on which type of Bitstream signal is being decoded.

In terms of actual audio quality, whether you have your Blu-ray disc player's HDMI audio output set to PCM or Bitstream doesn't matter. If the decoder in one of these devices is significantly better than the other, there might be a difference in sound quality. But these days, the quality of audio decoding in consumer devices is quite good in general, so that difference is likely to be very small and probably indiscernible.

However, there is another factor to take into consideration as to which setting that might be best for your to use. This involves access to secondary soundtracks, such as audio commentaries, descriptive audio, the sounds that onscreen buttons make when you click on them, or other other supplementary audio tracks. If access to these audio features is important to you, then keeping the Blu-ray player set for the PCM audio output option might be best the best option. On the other hand, you can always make the switch from Bitstream to PCM anytime you wish by going into the appropriate menu settings.

Richard

This is by far the best explanation of PCM vs BS I have ever read. Thank you King Richard!
post #17945 of 23773 Old 07-17-2016, 06:30 AM

I see it was asked a couple times a few pages back with no response, so here goes..

To update my TV (just my TV), now that it's using the SEK, do I just unplug the SEK and perform the update on TV, or do I have to do something special like an Evo backup before I unplug it.

Basically, how are you all keeping your TVs updated while using the SEK?
post #17946 of 23773 Old 07-17-2016, 07:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosM45 View Post
I see it was asked a couple times a few pages back with no response, so here goes..

To update my TV (just my TV), now that it's using the SEK, do I just unplug the SEK and perform the update on TV, or do I have to do something special like an Evo backup before I unplug it.

Once you have installed the SEK-3500 there is no need to do the Evo Kit backup or unplug anything.

How do I update my firmware to the latest release?

The easiest way to do it is by going into Menu > Support > Software Update and doing it from there. Due to the fact that Samsung rolls out a new release in waves, it may not be available immediatly for your set.

If you just can't wait it may be available at Samsung's website if you want to download to your PC and install via USB stick from one of the following sites...

USA

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/ow...UN78JS9500FXZA

Canada

http://www.samsung.com/ca/support/model/UN78JS9500FXZC

The SEK-3500U uses the same firmware as the 2015 JSxxxx series.

Note: Samsung Support advises not to install firmware from a site outside your country.
rlb likes this.

post #17947 of 23773 Old 07-17-2016, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 724
Quote:

If your TV came with an OCB, then you'll need to reattach it before updating the firmware on the TV, otherwise:

Power down the set. Unplug the SEK-3500. Turn on the set and update the firmware. It can't hurt to do a evo backup at this stage. Power down the set completely. Reattach the SEK-3500.
yosM45 likes this.

UN48JS8500 UN55HU6950 w/SEK-3500U UN40HU6950 w/SEK-3500U UBD-K8500 UN37C5000
post #17948 of 23773 Old 07-17-2016, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppagene View Post
If your TV came with an OCB, then you'll need to reattach it before updating the firmware on the TV, otherwise:

Power down the set. Unplug the SEK-3500. Turn on the set and update the firmware. It can't hurt to do a evo backup at this stage. Power down the set completely. Reattach the SEK-3500.
No original OCB. I have an 75hu8550.

So just unplug the SEK, and power the regular tv back and do the up date.

Do an Evo kit back up and plug the SEK back in and power it up.

This will keep the TV and SEK always updated to the most current firmware.

Correct?
post #17949 of 23773 Old 07-17-2016, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No original OCB. I have an 75hu8550.

So just unplug the SEK, and power the regular tv back and do the up date.

Do an Evo kit back up and plug the SEK back in and power it up.

This will keep the TV and SEK always updated to the most current firmware.

Correct?
Personally I wouldn't do the Evo Kit Backup for fear that when I plug the SEK-3500 back in it will think it's a new install and override my current settings with my old settings.

On the couple of occasions I have updated my original One Connect Box on my HU9000 I have never performed the Evo Kit Backup.

Like I said, once you have installed the SEK-3500 there is no need to update the TV (or original OCB) as there is no evidence this is a requirement.

I would submit that anything inside the TV affected by Firmware would recieve the required changes with new software updates for the SEK. In a similar manner for those sets that came with the original OCB the changes applied to it would be moot once we unplugged it and reattached the SEK-3500.

Also it would be a game of cat and mouse keeping track of the various Firmware versions.

But, your TV so the choice is yours.

yosM45 likes this.

Last edited by Musician; 07-17-2016 at 09:10 AM.
post #17950 of 23773 Old 07-17-2016, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 724
Quote:
Personally I wouldn't do the Evo Kit Backup for fear that when I plug the SEK-3500 back in it will think it's a new install and override my current settings with my old settings.

On the couple of occasions I have updated my original One Connect Box on my HU9000 I have never performed the Evo Kit Backup.

Like I said, once you have installed the SEK-3500 there is no need to update the TV (or original OCB) as there is no evidence this is a requirement.

I would submit that anything inside the TV affected by Firmware would recieve the required changes with new software updates for the SEK. In a similar manner for those sets that came with the original OCB the changes applied to it would be moot once we unplugged it and reattached the SEK-3500.

Also it would be a game of cat and mouse keeping track of the various Firmware versions.

But, your TV so the choice is yours.

I've always done the EVO kit backup after upgrading the firmware on my TV (just did it again 10 minutes ago) and I haven't yet had the SEK-3500 think it's a new install after reattaching it. That being said, I wouldn't want to have to go through a the new install procedure on the SEK-3500 so if it's a concern to you, heed Musician's advice on the precautionary backup.

As for keeping the firmware for the TV sans SEK up to date, I think of them as optional and do them if I have some spare time. I follow the advice of some on this thread that report improvements by doing this. However, as Musician stated, it's not necessary to do those updates.
yosM45 likes this.

UN48JS8500 UN55HU6950 w/SEK-3500U UN40HU6950 w/SEK-3500U UBD-K8500 UN37C5000
post #17951 of 23773 Old 07-17-2016, 03:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I received my Sek 3500 today to go with my un60hu8550. I need help with my setup. Is it best to have all of my sources run directly to the tv then to my soundbar or to the soundbar then to the tv? I want to make the most of the improved picture quality. Or does it even make a difference?
post #17952 of 23773 Old 07-17-2016, 09:07 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Withoot a doot. (Sorry--People from the U.S. talk funny.) But, seriously, these two pals of mine from the vast expanse to the north have greatly expanded my understanding and enjoyment of the Samsung HU9000. Thanks, boys.
Musician and King Richard like this.
post #17953 of 23773 Old 07-18-2016, 02:28 AM
Lionheart of AVS

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked: 4367
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMacFunkin View Post
There is another ammendment that needs adding to this:
A player can't decode Atmos or DTS:X metadata information and serve that as PCM, so in this instance you must use Bitstream if you want immersive audio as intended by the studio, using PCM in this instance would result in a lower quality audio experience.

Thank you for mentioning this very important point.

I edited my previous post to add this info.

Richard
post #17954 of 23773 Old 07-18-2016, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmizzoufan View Post
I received my Sek 3500 today to go with my un60hu8550. I need help with my setup. Is it best to have all of my sources run directly to the tv then to my soundbar or to the soundbar then to the tv? I want to make the most of the improved picture quality. Or does it even make a difference?
Unless your sound bar decodes DD+ or something significantly better than Dolby Digital 5.1, connect everything to the TV first. You will insure the best picture but the TV will only pass up to Dolby 5.1 to the sound bar. Most likely, that's fine with a sound bar, but if you have some exotic sound bar like the Yamaha or Samsung sound bars with rear wireless speakers which decode Dolby Atmos or DTS:X , then, of course, connect any devices that can decode this level of surround sound to the sound bar first.
Musician and King Richard like this.

-----
2016 Samsung UN65KS9800, UN55KS8500, UN49KS8000
2016 Samsung K8500 UHD BD Player x 2
2016 Samsung HW-K550/SWA-8000S 5.1
2016 Pioneer SC-LX701- AudioSource AMP100VS Atmos/DTS:X 7.1.4
post #17955 of 23773 Old 07-18-2016, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmizzoufan View Post
In addition to the suggestions made by @Larry Rosenberg here are the reasons why I have choosen to route the majority of my devices through the SEK-3500...

Advantages to Hooking Up Devices Directly to the SEK-3500

Graphical interface & Universal Remote

For owners of Samsung Smart TVs the main advantage is that it allows you to use the graphical interface on the TV in conjunction with the Samsung TV's Universal Remote to control devices hooked up directly to the One Connect Box.

In my case I have my Security Cameras (TV coax), Shaw Cable Box, Blu-Ray Player (Video), Apple TV and Receiver plugged into my OCB as per the Attached Thumbnail of my Wiring Diagram.

Once everything is programmed into the Universal Remote Settings then all the devices hooked up to the OCB can be controlled with the Samsung remote as follows:

Pressing the SOURCE button will bring up a row of icons allowing you to choose the given device as shown below.

Once you have selected a device, a press of the MENU/123 button provides a different group of buttons displayed on the top row depending on what functions apply to that particular device based on the brand and model number you input when setting up the Universal Remote as shown above.

In my case when I choose the SOURCE that my K8500's video HDMI is plugged into and then press the MENU/123 button on the TV's remote it will provide a bunch of options specific to the device including Power, Disc Menu, Sub Titles, Popup, Home and Eject along with all the transport controls which you can see in the example above.

Likewise, when I select my Set Top Box and press the MENU/123 button on the TV's remote it will provide a different set of options specific to that device such as Power, Menu, Guide, DVR, and On-Demand.

Note, that even if you go this route you can still use the remote(s) that came with your devices so you can keep other members of the family happy knowing that they can still use the backlit remote that came with the Cable Box to control the TV.

Different Picture Settings

A major advantage why some Samsung TV owners took the approach of running some (or all) of their devices through the TV is this allow us to maintain different Picture Settings for each input.

For example, the recommended setting for viewing HDR material is setting the Color Space to Native, turning HDMI UHD Color On in the TV settings and many of us prefer to increase the Gamma setting by 2 clicks and set Smart LED to High.

In addition seperate settings can be established while viewing content from the Smart Hub apps and connected USB devices as well as seperate settings for those of us who have set up a DLNA Network for sharing files from their Computers.

If this is something Samsung TV owners want to explore, make sure that under Menu/123 >> Picture >> Apply Picture Mode you set it to Current Source instead of All Sources.

HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2

Another advantage is in the case where folks like me don't have a Receiver that provides HDMI 2.0 HDCP 2.2 4K passthrough which may be required by one or more of their devices now or in the future.

Not for everyone but I sure like it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	253
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	1551913  

post #17956 of 23773 Old 07-18-2016, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
In addition to the suggestions made by @Larry Rosenberg here are the reasons why I have choosen to route the majority of my devices through the SEK-3500...

Advantages to Hooking Up Devices Directly to the SEK-3500
. . .
Wow, yes! I forgot how advanced these new sets are. (I do have all my stuff on my 49KS8000 going to the TV cuz my AVR for that TV is only capable of 5.1). Now, if Samsung would just design these sets to pass through 11.2.4 Dolby Atmos/DTS:X, we'd be "up to date" with sound, as well.

-----
post #17957 of 23773 Old 07-18-2016, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Rosenberg View Post
Wow, yes! I forgot how advanced these new sets are. (I do have all my stuff on my 49KS8000 going to the TV cuz my AVR for that TV is only capable of 5.1). Now, if Samsung would just design these sets to pass through 11.2.4 Dolby Atmos/DTS:X, we'd be "up to date" with sound, as well.
Ha, ha. Yeah! A limitation of ARC but if the SEK provided a dedicated HDMI Output we'd be in seventh heaven.

But without it no big deal for me at this point since the K8500 UHD Blu-ray player provides dual outputs which I have utilized to ensure I obtain the lossless audio formats while still enjoying the Graphical Interface, Universal Remote, and unique Picture Settings for each device as shown by the blue line in my wiring diagram.

Also allowed me to save mucho money by not having to replace my Marantz Receiver!

Have a great day!
Larry Rosenberg likes this.

post #17958 of 23773 Old 07-18-2016, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikclown View Post
When in doubt, run an optical cable from audio out on the SEK-3500u to the tv audio in on your Onkyo.
Thanks for the suggestion. My receiver is on a rack in the basement where as my TV is in the family room. It would need a pretty long optical cable to test this out. Moreover the audio is working fine from receiver when my Xbox is connected to HDMI1 on 3500u. It was able to send the audio from HDMI1 to HDMI4 to Receiver. The audio is not working with the Smart apps on the TV to the HDMI4(ARC output).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberScott View Post
I've had similar trouble after doing firmware updates. What has worked for me was..:
1) Turn-off Anynet/CEC on the Samsung.
2) Turn off the ARC/CEC option in your receiver.
3) Disconnect the HDMI cable from the ARC HDMI port on the Samsung.
4) Turn off both the receiver and TV and unplug both for a few minutes.
5) Re-connect the HDMI cable.
6)Turn both the TV and the receiver back on.
7)Enable the ARC/CEC in the receiver.
8)Enable Anynet/CEC in the Samsung and perform an Anynet/CEC scan.
9)Change the audio option on the Samsung back to ARC/HDMI sound.
Hopefully it will work again for you.
Thanks a lot I will definitely try this today.
post #17959 of 23773 Old 07-19-2016, 06:58 AM
Advanced Member

SEK 3500 and TWC remote and channel changing

I finally decided to post a question about this because the dust has settled on my setting up our audio-video systems and I'm frankly getting tired of this high-end set behaving this way. What way? There is usually a significant hand-shaking and delay, and then sometimes a black screen while another hand-shaking goes on, every time I change channels for my Time Warner Cable box connected to my Denon 910 AVR which is connected to HDMI 4/ARC on the SEK 3500 on my 2014 UN65HU9000. (I get the same results when I connect the TWC box directly to an HDMI input on the SEK 3500.) Eventually, the set settles in and from then on there is no problem - until I change to another channel, of course. This behavior does not happen when I use the "last," or "previous channel" command - only when changing channels and it's particularly irritating when I go channel surfing.

Further, as of a couple of updates ago, the TV remote no longer works for TWC cable box channel changing or any other cable box command *unless* I redo its source through the TV menu for "Universal Remote," and that only lasts until the TV is turned off. That is, when it is again turned on, I have to redo the remote.

I went as far as to buy a Harmony Elite remote to work around this problem. The Harmony works properly without having to reset anything each time, but it does not cure the handshake problem. I see no reason I should continue to put up with this kind of behavior from the TV without some sort of protest. (FWIW, my 2016 UN49KS8000 does not have the problem.)

Has anyone else experienced this situation? Does anyone have a solution?

Thanks in advance.

-----
post #17960 of 23773 Old 07-19-2016, 07:22 AM
rlb
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 2250 Post(s)
Liked: 1900
Quote:
I finally decided to post a question about this because the dust has settled on my setting up our audio-video systems and I'm frankly getting tired of this high-end set behaving this way. What way? There is usually a significant hand-shaking and delay, and then sometimes a black screen while another hand-shaking goes on, every time I change channels for my Time Warner Cable box connected to my Denon 910 AVR which is connected to HDMI 4/ARC on the SEK 3500 on my 2014 UN65HU9000. (I get the same results when I connect the TWC box directly to an HDMI input on the SEK 3500.) Eventually, the set settles in and from then on there is no problem - until I change to another channel, of course. This behavior does not happen when I use the "last," or "previous channel" command - only when changing channels and it's particularly irritating when I go channel surfing.

Further, as of a couple of updates ago, the TV remote no longer works for TWC cable box channel changing or any other cable box command *unless* I redo its source through the TV menu for "Universal Remote," and that only lasts until the TV is turned off. That is, when it is again turned on, I have to redo the remote.

I went as far as to buy a Harmony Elite remote to work around this problem. The Harmony works properly without having to reset anything each time, but it does not cure the handshake problem. I see no reason I should continue to put up with this kind of behavior from the TV without some sort of protest. (FWIW, my 2016 UN49KS8000 does not have the problem.)

Thanks in advance.
I'm no technical expert; but I do know that many things can cause "handshake" problems. Any of the components in the chain from the cable receiver to the AVR to the display; or the HDMI cable itself (including length). Since you have the same issue going via the receiver or direct to the display, I would experiment by trying a different HDMI cable to carry output from the receiver.

When cable/sat receivers are involved and outputting "native" resolution, the problem is made worse by the fact that changing channels frequently changes resolution (480i, 720p, 1080i) which must be resolved with the "handshake" process. One way to minimize the issue is to have the receiver always output one resolution (e.g., 1080i); although this isn't my favorite because the Samsungs do a better job upconverting than your satellite receiver.

P.S. The Samsungs are capable of doing a good job with the "handshake". I've had no issues with either my JS9500 or F9000 w/SEK3500 receiving "native" input (except for a 2-3 second delay when the channels have a different resolution) from my Directv HR44 or HR24.
Musician and Larry Rosenberg like this.

Sony XBR75Z9D, Samsung 65F9000 , Yamaha CX-A5200 & Outlaw 770
Samsung K8500, OPPO 103-D, Genie 2 and C61Ks, Roku Ultra, ATV4K, and Harmony Elite

Last edited by rlb; 07-19-2016 at 07:33 AM.
post #17961 of 23773 Old 07-19-2016, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post
I'm no technical expert; but I do know that many things can cause "handshake" problems. Any of the components in the chain from the cable receiver to the AVR to the display; or the HDMI cable itself (including length). Since you have the same issue going via the receiver or direct to the display, I would experiment by trying a different HDMI cable to carry output from the receiver.

When cable/sat receivers are involved and outputting "native" resolution, the problem is made worse by the fact that changing channels frequently changes resolution (480i, 720p, 1080i) which must be resolved with the "handshake" process. One way to minimize the issue is to have the receiver always output one resolution (e.g., 1080i); although this isn't my favorite because the Samsungs do a better job upconverting than your satellite receiver.

P.S. The Samsungs are capable of doing a good job with the "handshake". I've had no issues with either my JS9500 or F9000 w/SEK3500 receiving "native" input (except for a 2-3 second delay when the channels have a different resolution) from my Directv HR44 or HR24.
Thanks. I'll try setting the resolution on the box to a fixed setting. Ironically, the cable box is also a Samsung product.
rlb likes this.

-----
post #17962 of 23773 Old 07-19-2016, 07:42 AM
rlb
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 2250 Post(s)
Liked: 1900
Quote:
Thanks. I'll try setting the resolution on the box to a fixed setting. Ironically, the cable box is also a Samsung product.
I'm betting that will resolve the "handshake" issue. Let us know if you can tell a difference in video quality in cases where the cable box is doing a conversion.

Sony XBR75Z9D, Samsung 65F9000 , Yamaha CX-A5200 & Outlaw 770
Samsung K8500, OPPO 103-D, Genie 2 and C61Ks, Roku Ultra, ATV4K, and Harmony Elite
post #17963 of 23773 Old 07-19-2016, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Just before posting this I see @rlb has made a couple of suggestions but am stumped why you would need to redo the Samsung Universal Remote every time the TV is turned off then back on.

I share his preference of allowing the STB to send the signal as 720 or 1080 based on the source content rather than having the box upscale everything but if you do so most STB's will cause a delay when switching between resolutions and in my case will display a black screen for a couple of seconds just as you describe. Also agree that you should try a different HDMI cable before resorting to anything too drastic.

With that being said...

I don't have Time Warner Cable but assuming you have already tried the unplug, discharge and plug back in, failing that sometimes resorting to a full factory reset may do the trick.

I have only had to resort to doing a factory reset once from what I recall when a whole bunch of options unexpectedly became greyed out.

Keep in mind this is the equivalent of setting up the SEK all over again (but not a reinstall) so you will need to make sure you have a copy of your settings and setup all your devices once again in the Samsung Universal Remote as well as your Smart Hub apps.

Before resorting to that you might want to try unplugging all your devices including your AVR, etc. as well as all your HDMI cables and then plugging them all back in before turning on the power.

Failing that...

How do I do a factory reset?

Go into Menu >> Support >> Self Diagnosis >> Reset

All settings will return to factory defaults except network settings.

Note: Before resorting to a full factory Reset you might want to try unplugging the TV, pressing the remotes power button and waiting until the red light on the front of the TV has gone out indicating it has completely discharged before plugging the set back in.

Last edited by Musician; 07-19-2016 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Typo
post #17964 of 23773 Old 07-19-2016, 09:27 AM
Administrator
Administrator

Mentioned: 326 Post(s)
Quoted: 1500 Post(s)
Liked: 1132
Off topic posts remove...stay strictly on topic.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Always post about products, never post about other members.
Join the AVS Forum Club and help support the site.
AVS Forum is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with AV Science Inc.
post #17965 of 23773 Old 07-19-2016, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
. . .
I share his preference of allowing the STB to send the signal as 720 or 1080 based on the source content rather than having the box upscale everything but if you do so most STB's will cause a delay when switching between resolutions and in my case will display a black screen for a couple of seconds just as you describe. Also agree that you should try a different HDMI cable before resorting to anything too drastic.
So from what you are saying, this is somewhat normal? (The handshake/delay.) I will investigate my resolution options from the box tonight. As I recall, it's just a listing of 480, 720, 1080 and automatic? I dunno but I will check it out tonight. As for the remote needing to be reset each time, a firmware update caused the problem, perhaps a future firmware update will fix it? Or, by then it will be time for a new high-end TV. I'm almost starting to accept the "every three years" cycle. If at all doable, at some point it sure seems like less of a hassle than trying to ride out older sets.

-----
post #17966 of 23773 Old 07-19-2016, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So from what you are saying, this is somewhat normal? (The handshake/delay.) I will investigate my resolution options from the box tonight. As I recall, it's just a listing of 480, 720, 1080 and automatic? I dunno but I will check it out tonight. As for the remote needing to be reset each time, a firmware update caused the problem, perhaps a future firmware update will fix it? Or, by then it will be time for a new high-end TV. I'm almost starting to accept the "every three years" cycle. If at all doable, at some point it sure seems like less of a hassle than trying to ride out older sets.
Definately normal though I wouldn't really call it a "handshake" issue -- more an internal function of the Set Top Box.

See the attached thumbnail for the STB attached to my HU7000 which doesn't even have an SEK-3500 (yet) showing the resolutions I have mine set to so definately not an issue with the SEK.

I use the same settings on the STB connected to my HU9000 + SEK which also exhibits the same delay when switching resolutions while changing channels.

As a matter of fact the screen prompt for my Set Top Boxes that appears after modifying the resolution choices even says "Selecting more than one may cause your TV to switch resolutions when changing channels. This can cause delays and scrambled video during channel changes.".

Have a good night!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	211.9 KB
ID:	1554513  

Last edited by Musician; 07-19-2016 at 01:25 PM.
post #17967 of 23773 Old 07-19-2016, 11:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
I had the exact same "handshake" problem with my UN65HU5880/SEK 3500. I have a Tivo Bolt connected to a Denon AVR and then to my Samsung TV. Every time I change channels or switch to another source of signal on the Tivo box the screen would blank out for a few seconds and then start working again. The solution was to turn off the HDMI UHD Color setting for the HDMI connection being used to connect the Denon to the TV. If that is set to OFF then the problem goes away. If it is set to ON then the problem comes right back.
post #17968 of 23773 Old 07-19-2016, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jferris33 View Post
I had the exact same "handshake" problem with my UN65HU5880/SEK 3500. I have a Tivo Bolt connected to a Denon AVR and then to my Samsung TV. Every time I change channels or switch to another source of signal on the Tivo box the screen would blank out for a few seconds and then start working again. The solution was to turn off the HDMI UHD Color setting for the HDMI connection being used to connect the Denon to the TV. If that is set to OFF then the problem goes away. If it is set to ON then the problem comes right back.
For what it's worth I don't have the HDMI UHD Color turned ON for any of the inputs on my HU7000 and on my HU9000 + SEK only have that setting turned ON for my UHD K8500 Blu-ray Player.

Last edited by Musician; 07-19-2016 at 01:25 PM.
post #17969 of 23773 Old 07-19-2016, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked: 338
HDMI "Handshake" delays resulting from resolution changes are common across all devices -- this has nothing to do specifically with the SEK-3500 or other devices mentioned in the recent posts. I get zero delay because I have the initial device (a FiOS set top box) set to output a single (not native) resolution so that switching from 1080i to 720p to 480p channels does not change the output of the STB and no handshake is triggered. Also, my Denon AVR is set with video conversion on and the I/P scaler off for this source. The issue of changing resolution is not applicable to any of the other nine sources I connect to the Denon AVR.
post #17970 of 23773 Old 07-19-2016, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 6
So good news for eu 3500 tv owners.

I got yesterday a update to 1460.4 And it is fast as hell. I never saw my tv so fast and responsive.

I don't know if i got the update because i install the rus update to 1455 a few days back or the old 1452 get it too but be sure to check for ota updates
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
SEK-3500U/ZA

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page