2015 Samsung SEK-3500U/ZA Evolution Kit - Page 763 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13383Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #22861 of 23773 Old 12-04-2017, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Musician's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,187
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2636 Post(s)
Liked: 5213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmizzoufan View Post
I realize this is a sek3500 forum but I wanted to ask a question. When viewing hdr content on the Apple TV 4K I previously saw a Dolby vision badge. Upon upgrading to tv os 11.2 today the badge is gone and it does not appear to be hdr on netflix. I’ve tried toggling the new video settings but nothing brings it back. Backlight still maxes to 20 though. Any suggestions to bring this back. Sek 3500 with un60hu8550
Sorry, I updated my Apple TV 4K today but got so engrossed in this 'Entertain' mode conversation I got nothing else done. Thank goodness you came along and brought up something more, um, pardon the expression -- more entertaining!


Bad news, good news. The bad news is that shows that used to appear on the Apple TV 4K as HDR/Dolby Vision such as Daredevil are now only badged as Ultra 4K HD but the good news is that when you play it it plays in HDR as evidence by your Backlight and Contrast maxing out that you mentioned and I also confirmed with a selection of previously viewed known titles of various resolutions and dynamic range.

I see the ATV4K Netflix app was also updated today so perhaps that has something to do with it. Not so great for finding stuff without having to start playing it to determine if it is HDR.

In the meantime, here is a workaround: Click on the Search magnifying glass and search for HDR.

I am sure this is just a growing pain and will be fixed in short order.

I just took a quick peek at the iTunes movies and it appears those are not affected and are getting badged correctly.

Cheers!

Edit

I just took a quick look-see at the Apple TV thread and I see that we are not alone. Oh well, at least we are in good company. Here is a post from an owner of a Z9D...

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-net...l#post55257088

Apparently one of the persons in the beta group who owns an LG noticed a similar issue with Netflix using the latest beta.
makado, galonzo and brotony like this.

Samsung UN78HU9000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UN40HU7000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-ray Player; Apple TV 4K
Arris VIP5662W UHD Whole Home DVR; Chromecast Ultra
Marantz SR7005 Receiver; Magnepan Speakers; Martin Logan Subwoofer

Last edited by Musician; 12-04-2017 at 06:11 PM.
Musician is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22862 of 23773 Old 12-04-2017, 05:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: New York
Posts: 5,244
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4285 Post(s)
Liked: 5236
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post
Are you in the neighbourhood of any other Members who are use to the SM?
SEKs are getting scarcer then hen's teeth, and too many scams going on with these!
I didn't know that BB sold Hen's teeth!

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
jrref is offline  
post #22863 of 23773 Old 12-04-2017, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
brotony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 738
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
Sorry, I updated my Apple TV 4K today but got so engrossed in this 'Entertain' mode conversation I got nothing else done. Thank goodness you came along and brought up something more, um, pardon the expression -- more entertaining!


Bad news, good news. The bad news is that shows that used to appear on the Apple TV 4K as HDR/Dolby Vision such as Daredevil are now only badged as Ultra 4K HD but the good news is that when you play it it plays in HDR as evidence by your Backlight and Contrast maxing out that you mentioned and I also confirmed with a selection of previously viewed known titles of various resolutions and dynamic range.

I see the ATV4K Netflix app was also updated today so perhaps that has something to do with it. Not so great for finding stuff without having to start playing it to determine if it is HDR.

In the meantime, here is a workaround: Click on the Search magnifying glass and search for HDR.

I am sure this is just a growing pain and will be fixed in short order.

I just took a quick peek at the iTunes movies and it appears those are not affected and are getting badged correctly.

Cheers!

Edit

I just took a quick look-see at the Apple TV thread and I see that we are not alone. Oh well, at least we are in good company. Here is a post from an owner of a Z9D...

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-net...l#post55257088

Apparently one of the persons in the beta group who owns an LG noticed a similar issue with Netflix using the latest beta.
I've got public beta 5 of tvOS 11.2 and thought I'd check before updating. I still do see the DV logo on 4K HDR titles before playing on my JS9500.

Maybe I shouldn't update to official tvOS 11.2? My Netflix app hasn't updated either though. I'm looking at a down arrow that says Update in the App Store.

Edit: I see the DV logo in pulldown too.

Pardon the blown out pic... taken from my phone.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
makado, galonzo and Musician like this.
brotony is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22864 of 23773 Old 12-04-2017, 08:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Musician's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,187
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2636 Post(s)
Liked: 5213
Quote:
Originally Posted by brotony View Post
I've got public beta 5 of tvOS 11.2 and thought I'd check before updating. I still do see the DV logo on 4K HDR titles before playing on my JS9500.

Maybe I shouldn't update to official tvOS 11.2? My Netflix app hasn't updated either though. I'm looking at a down arrow that says Update in the App Store.

Edit: I see the DV logo in pulldown too.
Update: The guy on the beta with the LG only noticed it for a day some time ago and the next day the problem was gone. I am hoping for the same for us!

Here is what I suspect. Sets like the Z9D and the Samsung TVs currently only decode HDR10 -- whereas the guys not reporting the problem own TVs capable of decoding both DV and HDR10 -- so that is probably the issue at the moment and somehow it is interpreting the flag as Ultra HD 4K instead of HDR/DV even though they play in HDR just like they always have. So it's nothing but a badge issue versus a metadata issue, oui, oui!

What's crazy here is that through 5 iterations of 11.2.x betas the issue was never reported then bam, on the first day of public release of 11.2 this happens. I suspect it's Netflix's problem to fix since they held off their update until today but not my battle... that has already errupted on the Apple TV thread.


Note: Once you update from 11.2 beta to 11.2 public it automatically will update your Netflix so...... if you want to hold off I can let you know via this thread when 'the coast is clear' which is very fitting since I am on the west coast!
makado, galonzo and brotony like this.

Samsung UN78HU9000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UN40HU7000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-ray Player; Apple TV 4K
Arris VIP5662W UHD Whole Home DVR; Chromecast Ultra
Marantz SR7005 Receiver; Magnepan Speakers; Martin Logan Subwoofer

Last edited by Musician; 12-04-2017 at 09:00 PM.
Musician is offline  
post #22865 of 23773 Old 12-04-2017, 09:12 PM
Advanced Member
 
brotony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 738
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
Update: The guy on the beta with the LG only noticed it for a day some time ago and the next day the problem was gone. I am hoping for the same for us!

Here is what I suspect. Sets like the Z9D and the Samsung TVs currently only decode HDR10 -- whereas the guys not reporting the problem own TVs capable of decoding both DV and HDR10 -- so that is probably the issue at the moment and somehow it is interpreting the flag as Ultra HD 4K instead of HDR/DV even though they play in HDR just like they always have. So it's nothing but a badge issue versus a metadata issue, oui, oui!

What's crazy here is that through 5 iterations of 11.2.x betas the issue was never reported then bam, on the first day of public release of 11.2 this happens. I suspect it's Netflix's problem to fix since they held off their update until today but not my battle... that has already errupted on the Apple TV thread.


Note: Once you update from 11.2 beta to 11.2 public it automatically will update your Netflix so...... if you want to hold off I can let you know via this thread when 'the coast is clear' which is very fitting since I am on the west coast!
Sure, Musician. Put me down for an update for all clear on HDR flag.

Thanks! I appreciate it.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
brotony is offline  
post #22866 of 23773 Old 12-05-2017, 06:51 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Update- As per Samsung - my SEK order has Shipped.

I followed @p5browne advice and ordered some Monoprice certified cables - just to rule that out.

I'd like to order a UHD player - is there one that is fairly trouble free when it comes to this device? I'm thinking Samsung is a safe bet. From my understanding Sony may be problematic.

Keeping fingers crossed.
costerdock is offline  
post #22867 of 23773 Old 12-05-2017, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
p5browne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 10,168
Mentioned: 238 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3991 Post(s)
Liked: 3166
Quote:
Originally Posted by costerdock View Post
Update- As per Samsung - my SEK order has Shipped.

I followed @p5browne advice and ordered some Monoprice certified cables - just to rule that out.

I'd like to order a UHD player - is there one that is fairly trouble free when it comes to this device? I'm thinking Samsung is a safe bet. From my understanding Sony may be problematic.

Keeping fingers crossed.
Apparently, OPPO 203 owners have been buying the UBD-M9500 (2 HDMI Outputs), or the UBD-M8500 (1 HDMI Output) for the streaming apps that the OPPO doesn't have. Something about the apps are currently better than the Roku.
Rudy1 and costerdock like this.

UN65KS9800 - Mine
UN65HU9000 + SEK-3500U / UN75JU7100 / UN55HU7250 with SEK-3500U in UJS9000 Mod Mode / UN40J5200AF / HiSense 40H5507 - Wife's
UN55NU8000 X 2 - my 2 kids families (or should I say adults?)
p5browne is offline  
post #22868 of 23773 Old 12-05-2017, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Musician's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,187
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2636 Post(s)
Liked: 5213
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppagene View Post
@Musician , I don't use entertain, but I recently attached a kaby lake NUC to one of my TVs and wanted to see what happened if I treated it as a PC device. I was curious to see how it interacted with the sek-3500 with HDR available now with the Windows 10 Fall Creators update.

If you are using the old hershey bar remote and go to source and press and hold on an active HDMI port, you have the opportunity to edit device type. If you select PC, then as you discovered you are limited in picture modes to Standard and Entertain. I can't say what happens when you use one of the newer remotes and hover over a source as I rely mostly on my trusty old hesrhey bar type remote.
Not saying you used 'Entertain', just pointing out that you could if you wanted to but I can't..... until now!

Welcome to part two of...

Let Me Entertain Us!

Let me get this out of the way first. I didn't need a Hershey Bar remote as I was able to do everything using the remote that came with the SEK-3500 which is a good thing because the Canadian HU models never came with that accessory. Hershey is more of an American thing anyways. Ours probably would have come with a Cadbury Bar!

So today I am sitting in my living room ready to explore other reasons as to why you can create a PC device on your SEK-3500 and I can't.

As you can see in Thumbnail A below, when I do the long button press on the SEK remote, or press the down arrow (which accomplishes the same thing), I am presented with 4 options as follows on all 4 of my Source devices:


  • Edit Name
  • Information
  • Delete Universal Remote
  • Remove Source Thumbnail


Then pressing Edit Name causes the Keyboard to pop up as shown in Thumbnail B which allows me to type in anything I want including 'PC' but, as mentioned in my earlier post, this still allows me to choose any of the 4 picture modes afterwards that include Movie, Standard, Natural, and Dynamic however Entertain is nowhere to be seen!

So what's wrong with this picture?

When I was setting up my equipment I set it all up either during the install or by using the Universal Remote Setup option.

So reluctantly I choose my Receiver input and held my breath while I clicked on Delete Universal Remote. Shazaam! Here are the options that replaced the list above as shown in Thumbnail C:


  • Edit Device Type
  • Edit Name
  • Information
  • Remove Source Thumbnail
  • Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC)


Without further ado you can see I now have the coveted Edit Device Type at the top of the list which now allows me to select the screen containing the prefab options that includes 'PC' as shown in Thumbnail D. As expected when I select 'PC' I am limited to the Entertain and Standard picture mode.

So although this doesn't necessarily help anyone seeing a red/blue/green screen from a PS4 or other device it does explain why I wasn't able to create a 'PC' device like yourself with the hidden 'Entertain' picture mode because ALL my devices on both of my SEK-3500's were part of the Universal Remote Setup (that can be managed during the setup process or afterwards) thus the option to Edit Device Type was missing!

That also might explain why some guys saw different things for certain HDMI inputs versus other inputs and why most members avoided the poll.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A.jpg
Views:	749
Size:	273.2 KB
ID:	2326026   Click image for larger version

Name:	B.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	264.5 KB
ID:	2326028   Click image for larger version

Name:	C.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	231.0 KB
ID:	2326030   Click image for larger version

Name:	D.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	178.2 KB
ID:	2326032  
makado, poppagene, galonzo and 4 others like this.

Samsung UN78HU9000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UN40HU7000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-ray Player; Apple TV 4K
Arris VIP5662W UHD Whole Home DVR; Chromecast Ultra
Marantz SR7005 Receiver; Magnepan Speakers; Martin Logan Subwoofer
Musician is offline  
post #22869 of 23773 Old 12-06-2017, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Musician's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,187
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2636 Post(s)
Liked: 5213
I am sure @PJL99 won't mine me posting his PM to me here for the benefit of the rest of the members...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl99
I had some time to play with this since I've been reading the discussion in the forum and it all got my interest up in learning more.

This is what I've found. I've been able to get that "entertain/standard only choices" ("E/S") mode back by first unplugging UHD Blu-ray source, then (BEFORE plugging it back in) setting the input type (not name) to "PC." When I then plug in the source I get the E/S mode choices, and playing non-HDR content keeps that available. If I then play any HDR content the TV kicks into the typical HDR mode where the contrast, etc. bump up and the "normal" four picture mode choices available. When I stop playing the HDR content, the TV kicks back to the E/S mode.

Kinda strange, and I was not totally believing the behavior but I can reliably duplicate it now.

What do you think? I didn't want to mention this in the thread but wanted your thoughts.
Good choice not bringing it up on the thread, otherwise I would have to hunt you down and rough you up! Ha, ha, just kidding.

I see you saw my post yesterday where I finally figured out why some guys could do this Edit Device Type and create a 'PC' device with only the Entertain & Standard picture modes... and I couldn't.

I certainly wouldn't want any of my inputs going into the PC > Entertain picture mode unless it truly was a Personal Computer but even then that might not be my preferred setup... so here is what I would suggest.

Option A

Whatever you do, do NOT set the Device Type to PC using the Edit Device Type option (unless you have reason to want to use the Entertain picture mode for some particular reason such as where you might have a PC plugged into an HDMI port for example). In other words select one of the other prefab names that appear such as 'Blu-ray' as shown in Thumbnail D on my post above since only the 'PC' Device Type does this 'Entertain' picture mode thingy.

If you don't like the name Blu-ray, you can always rename it afterwards to something else such as "UHD Player" using the Edit Name option if you like.

Note: Option A leaves the Edit Device Type option in the list of drop-down options.

Option B

Or better yet set up the input using the Universal Remote Setup feature which can be accessed by pressing the Source button on your SEK remote and find the option on the far left side. Here you can pick the manufacturer of a given device and it walks you through a series of tests that checks to see if the SEK remote is controlling that particular device. It even puts a funky little icon that appears in the spot depending on what you choose while configuring the option as shown below.

Note: Option B will remove the Edit Device Type option from the list for that particular HDMI input and replace it with Delete Universal Remote. In order to get the Edit Device Type to return to the list you would need to click on Delete Universal Remote on that input.

This is how I have all my gear set up. The beauty of this is that I can use the SEK remote to control most functions on the devices I have connected to the SEK-3500 HDMI inputs without having to reach for another remote. In my case that includes my TELUS STB/DVR manufactured by Arris, my Samsung UHD Blu-ray Player, my Apple TV 4K, and my Marantz Receiver. Four different manufacturers, one remote!!!

makado, poppagene and galonzo like this.

Samsung UN78HU9000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UN40HU7000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-ray Player; Apple TV 4K
Arris VIP5662W UHD Whole Home DVR; Chromecast Ultra
Marantz SR7005 Receiver; Magnepan Speakers; Martin Logan Subwoofer

Last edited by Musician; 12-06-2017 at 02:26 PM.
Musician is offline  
post #22870 of 23773 Old 12-06-2017, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
PJL99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 818
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
I am sure @PJL99 won't mine me posting his PM to me here for the benefit of the rest of the members...



Good choice not bringing it up on the thread, otherwise I would have to hunt you down and rough you up! Ha, ha, just kidding.

I see you saw my post yesterday where I finally figured out why some guys could do this Edit Device Type and create a 'PC' device with only the Entertain & Standard picture modes... and I couldn't.

I certainly wouldn't want any of my inputs going into the PC > Entertain picture mode unless it truly was a Personal Computer but even then that might not be my preferred setup... so here is what I would suggest.

Option A

Whatever you do, do NOT set the Device Type to PC using the Edit Device Type option (unless you have reason to want to use the Entertain picture mode for some particular reason such as where you might have a PC plugged into an HDMI port for example). In other words select one of the other prefab names that appear such as 'Blu-ray' as shown in Thumbnail D on my post above since only the 'PC' Device Type does this 'Entertain' picture mode thingy.

If you don't like the name Blu-ray, you can always rename it afterwards to something else such as "UHD Player" using the Edit Name option if you like.

Note: Option A leaves leaves the Edit Device Type item in the list of drop-down options.

Option B

Or better yet set up the input using the Universal Remote Setup feature which can be accessed by pressing the Source button on your SEK remote and find the option on the far left side. Here you can pick the manufacturer of a given device and it walks you through a series of tests that checks to see if the SEK remote is controlling that particular device. It even puts a funky little icon that appears in the spot depending on what you choose while configuring the option as shown below.

Note: Option B will remove the Edit Device Type option from the list for that particular HDMI input and replace it with Delete Universal Remote. In order to get the Edit Device Type to return to the list you would need to click on Delete Universal Remote on that input.

This is how I have all my gear set up. The beauty of this is that I can use the SEK remote to control most functions on the devices I have connected to the SEK-3500 HDMI inputs without having to reach for another remote. In my case that includes my Arris STB/DVR by TELUS, my Samsung UHD Blu-ray Player, my Apple TV 4K, and my Marantz Receiver. Four different manufacturers, one remote!!!

Part of my private post was to discuss the phenomena of the "PC" type input switching the available modes from E/S to the standard four choices when playing HDR on the source, and then back to the E/S mode when not playing HDR material.

The Entertain mode (in the E/S options) is brighter that the HDR mode although the contract/brightness remain at "normal" levels. Perhaps related, I've noticed the screen brightness (not in the settings, but how the screen looks) changes (with the brightness setting not being changed) when HDMI-CEC sources (like a Chromecast Ultra, Roku, Fire Stick, etc.) are selected as a TV input and then HDMI4 is re-selected. Turning the TV off and on returns the screen to normal brightness. As HDMI4 for me is connected to my Denon AVR, the same thing happens when an HDMI-CEC source is connected as one of the inputs to the AVR. Strange behavior to say the least. I'm still trying to figure out the exact cause.

(I use a Harmony 650 remote so I've never touched the TV's Universal Remote function...)
poppagene likes this.
PJL99 is offline  
post #22871 of 23773 Old 12-06-2017, 03:11 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Update - new SEK unit from Samsung arrived. Same issue with pink/green on PS4. Support->self diag-> Reset - didn't help.

I'm convinced there is nothing wrong with the SEK and sending it back a 3rd time would be pointless (even though I bought the first at BestBuy and second and Samsung.)

Via the TV I've scheduled a Support call with Samsung - hopefully they can fix this. Last time (when I called them) they said simply send back (though the person I was speaking with didn't know much about the product and didn't even try to gain remote access to see what I was seeing.)

I have certified monoprice cables on the way - perhaps that is it - keeping fingers crossed that my old HDMI cables are causing this. My setup is simple at this point PS4 directly to SEK (no AVR.)

I've also ordered a Samsung UBD M9500 UHD player and movie (Star Trek Beyond) to see if all this trouble is worth it. If the picture of a UHD movie is much better/noticable - then I'm keeping it all and I guess living with the pain of having to manually fix the Pink and Green every time I change HDMI sources. Otherwise it is all going back and I'll enjoy what I have.

My main issue:
Fix the Pink/Green on PS4 - switch to Oppo 103D - it is now pink and green.
Fix the Oppo Pink and Green - switch to PS4 - it becomes Pink/Green
The settings don't stick.

Thanks for all the great help.
costerdock is offline  
post #22872 of 23773 Old 12-06-2017, 03:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Musician's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,187
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2636 Post(s)
Liked: 5213
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJL99 View Post
Part of my private post was to discuss the phenomena of the "PC" type input switching the available modes from E/S to the standard four choices when playing HDR on the source, and then back to the E/S mode when not playing HDR material.

The Entertain mode (in the E/S options) is brighter that the HDR mode although the contract/brightness remain at "normal" levels. Perhaps related, I've noticed the screen brightness (not in the settings, but how the screen looks) changes (with the brightness setting not being changed) when HDMI-CEC sources (like a Chromecast Ultra, Roku, Fire Stick, etc.) are selected as a TV input and then HDMI4 is re-selected. Turning the TV off and on returns the screen to normal brightness. As HDMI4 for me is connected to my Denon AVR, the same thing happens when an HDMI-CEC source is connected as one of the inputs to the AVR. Strange behavior to say the least. I'm still trying to figure out the exact cause.

(I use a Harmony 650 remote so I've never touched the TV's Universal Remote function...)
For the record I cut and pasted your entire 'private post' into my reply above to provide the context for my answer. I certainly didn't think it was private per se or that you would take offense if I posted it. I viewed it more like you wanted some one-on-one where I thought that considering the amount of time and effort I had to put into preparing my reply (which by the way required me to do some additional testing by doing the Delete Universal Remote from one of my inputs to make sure that my reply was accurate) it would be more beneficial to post it here.

To tell you the truth I am a little offended that you would imply I omitted part of your message to me.

Nowhere in the PM was there any mention of the screen brightness issue you are having or the re-selected input phenomenon you are experiencing but I do recall you and/or others saying something about that in the past. Didn't know you wanted to revisit it.

As far as your Harmony remote goes, you can continue to use it whether you chose either one of the options I provided to avoid the PC Entertain issue we have been discussing.

Sorry, if I had an answer regarding the screen brightness or the re-selected inputs you are now raising in the post above I would certainly share it with you and why perhaps it is always a good idea to post in the thread so others can weigh in especially since until this week I've never touched the TV's Edit Device Type function...
pilotart likes this.

Samsung UN78HU9000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UN40HU7000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-ray Player; Apple TV 4K
Arris VIP5662W UHD Whole Home DVR; Chromecast Ultra
Marantz SR7005 Receiver; Magnepan Speakers; Martin Logan Subwoofer

Last edited by Musician; 12-06-2017 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Typo
Musician is offline  
post #22873 of 23773 Old 12-07-2017, 10:39 AM
Senior Member
 
mikegaudiello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 300
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quick question… Should I be setting Calman to 11 point or should I be sending it to 10 point? I've seen some conflicting information.

Samsung UN65HU9000 w/ SEK-3500U
Receiver - Yamaha RX-A3050
Left/Right - Polk Audio LSi9
Center - Polk Audio LSiC
Surrounds - Polk Audio LSiFX
Powered Subwoofer - PSA V1500
mikegaudiello is offline  
post #22874 of 23773 Old 12-07-2017, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
poppagene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bethesda. MD
Posts: 1,521
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegaudiello View Post
Quick question… Should I be setting Calman to 11 point or should I be sending it to 10 point? I've seen some conflicting information.
It depends on what you want to do with the information. If you're measuring the accuracy 0-100, then take the 11 measurements. As you have probably noticed, the Samsung controls only allow for adjustment of the 10 steps from 10 to 100.
mikegaudiello likes this.

UN48JS8500 UN55HU6950 w/SEK-3500U UN40HU6950 w/SEK-3500U UBD-K8500 UN37C5000
poppagene is offline  
post #22875 of 23773 Old 12-07-2017, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
galonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: most usually, somewhere in the midwest...
Posts: 2,090
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1306 Post(s)
Liked: 1650
For those interested in my 10pt HDR calibration progress, this is where I'm at: I found starting over and trying Gamma at 3 yields slightly lower max nits, but brings RGB Balance with Luminance a little flatter (RGB balance without Luminance still wonky), as well as following EOTF a bit better as well; so originally:
Spoiler!

and currently:
Spoiler!

and for reference, the JS9500 currently:
Spoiler!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171207_SEK.jpg
Views:	614
Size:	195.8 KB
ID:	2327192  
mikegaudiello and poppagene like this.

Main: UN78HU9000/SEK-3500 | X4200W (Klipsch/HSU 5.1.2) | UDP-203 (fw 65-0131) | TiVo Bolt | Roku P+
2nd: UN65JS9500 | LG LAS855M | UBD-K8500 | Chromecast Ultra | AppleTV4K | TiVo Mini
3rd: 65P-F1 | Klipsch HDT-SB3 | UBP-X700 | Tivo Roamio | AppleTV4K
FS - UHD Digital codes (and some HD codes)
galonzo is offline  
post #22876 of 23773 Old 12-07-2017, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: New York
Posts: 5,244
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4285 Post(s)
Liked: 5236
Thanks, this is very interesting. I thought the HU9000 was brighter. It's trying to tone map but having a difficult time which is why the picture gets darker. The JS9500 looks "pretty good". Although the luminance is not perfect, at least the EOTF and overall luminance seem to be tracking properly which is great What would be interesting to try is to get the SDR calibrated as perfect as possible then run another HDR scan and see if it changes for the better. If it does, it means that Samsung is using conversion tables to generate the HDR configuration which is what a lot of sets are doing these days. You only need to touch up the 2 pt and the rest is done automatically. This may be the reason why you don't have control over separate memory for the HDR 2 pt any more.

You should try the new Calman HDR Analysis work flow that just came out.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
jrref is offline  
post #22877 of 23773 Old 12-07-2017, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
poppagene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bethesda. MD
Posts: 1,521
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by galonzo View Post
For those interested in my 10pt HDR calibration progress, this is where I'm at: I found starting over and trying Gamma at 3 yields slightly lower max nits, but brings RGB Balance with Luminance a little flatter (RGB balance without Luminance still wonky), as well as following EOTF a bit better as well; so originally:
and currently:
and for reference, the JS9500 currently:
Now that CalMAN supports autocal on 2015 Samsungs, I'm waiting on an db9 to usb cable to be able to use my ex-link cable with the latest version of CalMAN to try autocal on my JS8500. I'm also intending to see what happens when I run autocal on the SEK-3500 with a JS mod in place.

UN48JS8500 UN55HU6950 w/SEK-3500U UN40HU6950 w/SEK-3500U UBD-K8500 UN37C5000
poppagene is offline  
post #22878 of 23773 Old 12-07-2017, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
p5browne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 10,168
Mentioned: 238 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3991 Post(s)
Liked: 3166
Quote:
Originally Posted by galonzo View Post
For those interested in my 10pt HDR calibration progress, this is where I'm at: I found starting over and trying Gamma at 3 yields slightly lower max nits, but brings RGB Balance with Luminance a little flatter (RGB balance without Luminance still wonky), as well as following EOTF a bit better as well; so originally:
Spoiler!

and currently:
Spoiler!

and for reference, the JS9500 currently:
Spoiler!
Now that you calibrated the grayscale for HDR, did this now change all your SDR grayscale settings to the HDR ones?

UN65KS9800 - Mine
UN65HU9000 + SEK-3500U / UN75JU7100 / UN55HU7250 with SEK-3500U in UJS9000 Mod Mode / UN40J5200AF / HiSense 40H5507 - Wife's
UN55NU8000 X 2 - my 2 kids families (or should I say adults?)
p5browne is offline  
post #22879 of 23773 Old 12-07-2017, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
p5browne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 10,168
Mentioned: 238 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3991 Post(s)
Liked: 3166
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
Thanks, this is very interesting. I thought the HU9000 was brighter. It's trying to tone map but having a difficult time which is why the picture gets darker. The JS9500 looks "pretty good". Although the luminance is not perfect, at least the EOTF and overall luminance seem to be tracking properly which is great What would be interesting to try is to get the SDR calibrated as perfect as possible then run another HDR scan and see if it changes for the better. If it does, it means that Samsung is using conversion tables to generate the HDR configuration which is what a lot of sets are doing these days. You only need to touch up the 2 pt and the rest is done automatically. This may be the reason why you don't have control over separate memory for the HDR 2 pt any more.

You should try the new Calman HDR Analysis work flow that just came out.
Interesting idea, somewhat. So Samsung changed from getting the HDR settings from the ASM, to doing some mumble, jumble math calculations to the grayscale SDR calibrations to now get an HDR set of settings more tuned to your actual set. Problem - calibrate the 2 Point for HDR, and settings now show up in the SDR. Maybe the SDR settings will go through the mumble, jumble math calculations as well, so best to do no HDR calibrations? Custom Color Space as well?

UN65KS9800 - Mine
UN65HU9000 + SEK-3500U / UN75JU7100 / UN55HU7250 with SEK-3500U in UJS9000 Mod Mode / UN40J5200AF / HiSense 40H5507 - Wife's
UN55NU8000 X 2 - my 2 kids families (or should I say adults?)
p5browne is offline  
post #22880 of 23773 Old 12-07-2017, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
galonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: most usually, somewhere in the midwest...
Posts: 2,090
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1306 Post(s)
Liked: 1650
interesting @poppagene , I hadn't heard about this; hmmmm.

@p5browne , since I don't use SDR on that input, I copied my SDR cal from the SDR-calibrated input by setting Apply Picture Mode to All, then switched to this "HDR input" and changed Apply Picture Mode to Current Only, then changed to Gamma=3, then started calibrating HDR from there. So I haven't checked SDR on this input, but it obviously remained untouched on all other inputs. I haven't even gotten to Color yet.
poppagene likes this.

Main: UN78HU9000/SEK-3500 | X4200W (Klipsch/HSU 5.1.2) | UDP-203 (fw 65-0131) | TiVo Bolt | Roku P+
2nd: UN65JS9500 | LG LAS855M | UBD-K8500 | Chromecast Ultra | AppleTV4K | TiVo Mini
3rd: 65P-F1 | Klipsch HDT-SB3 | UBP-X700 | Tivo Roamio | AppleTV4K
FS - UHD Digital codes (and some HD codes)
galonzo is offline  
post #22881 of 23773 Old 12-07-2017, 06:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: New York
Posts: 5,244
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4285 Post(s)
Liked: 5236
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post
Interesting idea, somewhat. So Samsung changed from getting the HDR settings from the ASM, to doing some mumble, jumble math calculations to the grayscale SDR calibrations to now get an HDR set of settings more tuned to your actual set. Problem - calibrate the 2 Point for HDR, and settings now show up in the SDR. Maybe the SDR settings will go through the mumble, jumble math calculations as well, so best to do no HDR calibrations? Custom Color Space as well?
Someone will have to try it and see and report back.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
jrref is offline  
post #22882 of 23773 Old 12-07-2017, 09:45 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
p5browne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 10,168
Mentioned: 238 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3991 Post(s)
Liked: 3166
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
Someone will have to try it and see and report back.
Problem is still NO 2 set of settings when doing scans in SDR and HDR.

Theory: calibrate SDR, 10 Point, 2 Point and CMS, switch to HDR. Now if Samsung is now doing the mumble, jumble math calculations, the HDR settings would change, but they don't. Scans of the 10 Point, 2 Point and CMS show changes between SDR and HDR, video outputs, BUT, are they correct for HDR? Calibrate for HDR, which is fine if you're now ONLY watching 4K HDR video material, but, it's more likely more SDR Videos are being watched, and now the settings are now all out of whack for SDR. Why we need our 2 sets of settings back.
jrref likes this.

UN65KS9800 - Mine
UN65HU9000 + SEK-3500U / UN75JU7100 / UN55HU7250 with SEK-3500U in UJS9000 Mod Mode / UN40J5200AF / HiSense 40H5507 - Wife's
UN55NU8000 X 2 - my 2 kids families (or should I say adults?)
p5browne is offline  
post #22883 of 23773 Old 12-08-2017, 09:57 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by costerdock View Post
Update - new SEK unit from Samsung arrived. Same issue with pink/green on PS4. Support->self diag-> Reset - didn't help.

I'm convinced there is nothing wrong with the SEK and sending it back a 3rd time would be pointless (even though I bought the first at BestBuy and second and Samsung.)

Via the TV I've scheduled a Support call with Samsung - hopefully they can fix this. Last time (when I called them) they said simply send back (though the person I was speaking with didn't know much about the product and didn't even try to gain remote access to see what I was seeing.)

I have certified monoprice cables on the way - perhaps that is it - keeping fingers crossed that my old HDMI cables are causing this. My setup is simple at this point PS4 directly to SEK (no AVR.)

I've also ordered a Samsung UBD M9500 UHD player and movie (Star Trek Beyond) to see if all this trouble is worth it. If the picture of a UHD movie is much better/noticable - then I'm keeping it all and I guess living with the pain of having to manually fix the Pink and Green every time I change HDMI sources. Otherwise it is all going back and I'll enjoy what I have.

My main issue:
Fix the Pink/Green on PS4 - switch to Oppo 103D - it is now pink and green.
Fix the Oppo Pink and Green - switch to PS4 - it becomes Pink/Green
The settings don't stick.

Thanks for all the great help.

Update - what a headache.


Ok - installed new certified monoprice HDMI 4K cables - made no difference.
New problem - remote stops working - only course of action - use the old remote to turn off TV. Also yesterday when I went to use the TV it wouldn't recognize the PS4 - it said I had nothing connected to the HDMI inputs - really pissed me off - and I had to rollback that damn thing in order to use the TV.

Spoke with Support for what seemed like forever - apparently an urgent bug is being worked on for the SEK 3500 to fix the issue with it not retaining the settings per HDMI source. There should be a fix for that coming out shortly. They are going to send a new remote.

I don't have a warm and fuzzy that it will fix my issue (pink/green/entertain)

They also wouldn't give my any info about the bug (bug #/description/etc) all they said was - it was urgent.
costerdock is offline  
post #22884 of 23773 Old 12-08-2017, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
p5browne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 10,168
Mentioned: 238 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3991 Post(s)
Liked: 3166
Quote:
Originally Posted by costerdock View Post
Update - what a headache.


Ok - installed new certified monoprice HDMI 4K cables - made no difference.
New problem - remote stops working - only course of action - use the old remote to turn off TV. Also yesterday when I went to use the TV it wouldn't recognize the PS4 - it said I had nothing connected to the HDMI inputs - really pissed me off - and I had to rollback that damn thing in order to use the TV.

Spoke with Support for what seemed like forever - apparently an urgent bug is being worked on for the SEK 3500 to fix the issue with it not retaining the settings per HDMI source. There should be a fix for that coming out shortly. They are going to send a new remote.

I don't have a warm and fuzzy that it will fix my issue (pink/green/entertain)

They also wouldn't give my any info about the bug (bug #/description/etc) all they said was - it was urgent.
Well yeah! It's urgent!
After I found the bug, and reported it on this Forum, it turns out this bug not only affects us SE-3500U people, but ALL the JS Series of the Samsung TVs, and that's got to be HUGE! Plus, it's world wide! That's a lot of buggy sets!
poppagene and costerdock like this.

UN65KS9800 - Mine
UN65HU9000 + SEK-3500U / UN75JU7100 / UN55HU7250 with SEK-3500U in UJS9000 Mod Mode / UN40J5200AF / HiSense 40H5507 - Wife's
UN55NU8000 X 2 - my 2 kids families (or should I say adults?)
p5browne is offline  
post #22885 of 23773 Old 12-08-2017, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Musician's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,187
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2636 Post(s)
Liked: 5213
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post
Well yeah! It's urgent!
After I found the bug, and reported it on this Forum, it turns out this bug not only affects us SE-3500U people, but ALL the JS Series of the Samsung TVs, and that's got to be HUGE! Plus, it's world wide! That's a lot of buggy sets!
Just to be sure we are singing from the same song sheet, I believe this is the "bug" @costerdock and others have been concerned about...

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhouck3 View Post
The interesting thing is every time I power on the TV, I changes its picture mode back to "Entertain". When I go into the picture mode menu, this does not appear to be a valid choice-- I only have Standard, Natural, Dynamic, and Movie. I change the picture mode to one of these, but it resets to "Entertain" every time I power off. I am not sure why it wont retain its picture mode setting after power off. Not sure if this is related or not, but seems possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfocussvt View Post
Return the box.

I had the same issue, Along with the famous green screen, with three boxes I received from B&H Photo. Could not for the life of me figure it out. Tried resetting box, renaming inputs, switching receiver on first, nothing.

Purchased one box from BestBuy and those issues never 'knock on wood' appeared.

Believe it or not the two posts above are dated December 29th, 2015 -- almost two years ago and similar to the other posts on the picture mode switching and the "green screen" posted about in 2016 and again by a couple of guys on this thread in 2017.

The "bug" you mentioned finding has to do with the lack of ability to maintain dual 2 Point White Balance settings.

Which leads to the question -- which "urgent bug" are they working on? The ones reported by others over the course of a 3 year period... or the recent anomaly you discussed in >> this post << where as far as I know you were the only person who reported this to Samsung Support who basically ended the call by saying "We do not recommend calibrating the TV", gave no indication that he was escalating the issue and told you to "Have a great time ahead"?
galonzo, PJL99 and brotony like this.

Samsung UN78HU9000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UN40HU7000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-ray Player; Apple TV 4K
Arris VIP5662W UHD Whole Home DVR; Chromecast Ultra
Marantz SR7005 Receiver; Magnepan Speakers; Martin Logan Subwoofer
Musician is offline  
post #22886 of 23773 Old 12-08-2017, 12:39 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
Just to be sure we are singing from the same song sheet, I believe this is the "bug" @costerdock and others have been concerned about...




Believe it or not the two posts above are dated December 29th, 2015 -- almost two years ago and similar to the other posts on the picture mode switching and the "green screen" posted about in 2016 and again by a couple of guys on this thread in 2017.

The "bug" you mentioned finding has to do with the lack of ability to maintain dual 2 Point White Balance settings.

Which leads to the question -- which "urgent bug" are they working on? The ones reported by others over the course of a 3 year period... or the recent anomaly you discussed in >> this post << where as far as I know you were the only person who reported this to Samsung Support who basically ended the call by saying "We do not recommend calibrating the TV", gave no indication that he was escalating the issue and told you to "Have a great time ahead"?
The bug the tech alluded to indicated the fix should solve the issue with the settings not persisting on each HDMI input. On my set I fix one HDMI input - it breaks the others - so there is no isolation between inputs.

but then again - he probably just wanted to get rid of me since he couldn't help.

Anyhow - I have a separate email support ticket open with a different tech - we will see what conclusion they come up with.

My UBD-M9500 - arrives Sat. As long as that isn't pink I'll be happy. If it is and the UHD movie doesn't blow me away - its days are numbered.
costerdock is offline  
post #22887 of 23773 Old 12-08-2017, 12:39 PM
Newbie
 
rajetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is it worth to pay $399 now for 3 year old TV? Sorry, no patience to read through all the messages but is there any thing I should know before buying? I tried buying a used one and had to return it - once it is registered to a particular series , say F9000, it won't connect to any other series. New comparable TV is $1000 now..
rajetta is offline  
post #22888 of 23773 Old 12-08-2017, 12:59 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajetta View Post
Is it worth to pay $399 now for 3 year old TV? Sorry, no patience to read through all the messages but is there any thing I should know before buying? I tried buying a used one and had to return it - once it is registered to a particular series , say F9000, it won't connect to any other series. New comparable TV is $1000 now..
For me it might be as I absolutely love my TV and have no urge at all to replace it. But so far real headache - I'll let you know in a few days if I'm sticking with it.


@Musician posted this awesome info - which should answer your question:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post55127306
Musician likes this.

Last edited by costerdock; 12-08-2017 at 01:08 PM.
costerdock is offline  
post #22889 of 23773 Old 12-08-2017, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
p5browne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 10,168
Mentioned: 238 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3991 Post(s)
Liked: 3166
A `bug' that has been around almost since the sets came out, doesn't appear to be `urgent' to Samsung ! ?
Whereas the HDR/SDR `bug' is more current, and more in keeping with many switching over to watching 4K HDR Videos, would appear to be more `urgent'.
poppagene and jrref like this.

UN65KS9800 - Mine
UN65HU9000 + SEK-3500U / UN75JU7100 / UN55HU7250 with SEK-3500U in UJS9000 Mod Mode / UN40J5200AF / HiSense 40H5507 - Wife's
UN55NU8000 X 2 - my 2 kids families (or should I say adults?)
p5browne is offline  
post #22890 of 23773 Old 12-08-2017, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Musician's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,187
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2636 Post(s)
Liked: 5213
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post
A `bug' that has been around almost since the sets came out, doesn't appear to be `urgent' to Samsung ! ?
Whereas the HDR/SDR `bug' is more current, and more in keeping with many switching over to watching 4K HDR Videos, would appear to be more `urgent'.
Maybe so but not if it has only been reported by 1 guy in Canada.

Whatever the case my post was to point out that @costerdock who you were replying to wasn't raising the HDR/SDR dual 2 Point White Balance settings with Samsung Support when he reached out to them over the last few days.

If you take issue to me calling the dual 2 Point White Balance issue an 'anomaly' rather than a 'bug' that is because I have been following @jrref 's >> recent post << where he suggests that perhaps "Samsung is using conversion tables to generate the HDR configuration which is what a lot of sets are doing these days" in which case it wouldn't be a bug, it would be a feature!


As far as urgency goes I believe @Rudy1 did not receive any ticket numbers forwarded to him as he requested however he has passed on the issue paper I prepared to his contacts at Samsung so their engineers can replicate the issue in the hopes it can be addressed in a future upgrade.

Cheers!


Quote:
Originally Posted by costerdock View Post
The bug the tech alluded to indicated the fix should solve the issue with the settings not persisting on each HDMI input. On my set I fix one HDMI input - it breaks the others - so there is no isolation between inputs.
I doubt this has anything to do with your troubles but just in case you aren't aware, all HDMI inputs will inherit the same settings unless you go into Menu >> Picture >> Apply Picture Mode and make sure that it is set to Current Source as shown in the attached thumbnail. If it is set to All Sources, which is the default setting, then all HDMI inputs will share the same picture settings.

Cheers to you too!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Apply Picture Mode.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	2327746  
galonzo and costerdock like this.

Samsung UN78HU9000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UN40HU7000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-ray Player; Apple TV 4K
Arris VIP5662W UHD Whole Home DVR; Chromecast Ultra
Marantz SR7005 Receiver; Magnepan Speakers; Martin Logan Subwoofer
Musician is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
SEK-3500U/ZA

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off