DTS Neo 2:5 - Surround passthru? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 05-21-2015, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
DTS Neo 2:5 - Surround passthru?

I know DTS Neo takes a 2 channel signal and will matrix out a DTS 5.1 signal.... but out of curiosity, does anyone know how it handles or if it directly passes through signals that are already surround (like DTS 5.1 or Dolby Digital)?

Personally I like the idea of passing through original surround signal with the least amount of jimmying with the sound. Currently my set up is ATT Uverse STB HDMI -> TV (Samsung H7150) - Optical -> Surround system.

The TV has the audio out options of:
PCM - but i know this will only be 2 channel and my surround system with matrix it up to 5.1... not what I want
Dolby Digital - I know this is a compressed surround signal, but not sure how it handles incoming surround signals
DTS Neo 2:5 - I believe this is a less compressed surround signal than DD.

I'm going into the TVs HDMI inputs because I want to use the smart features of the TV and send the audio signal (surround preferably) to the Surround system. I also like this method because the TV allows delaying of the audio signal to allow for video latency.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-21-2015, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surefire99 View Post
I know DTS Neo takes a 2 channel signal and will matrix out a DTS 5.1 signal.... but out of curiosity, does anyone know how it handles or if it directly passes through signals that are already surround (like DTS 5.1 or Dolby Digital)?

Personally I like the idea of passing through original surround signal with the least amount of jimmying with the sound. Currently my set up is ATT Uverse STB HDMI -> TV (Samsung H7150) - Optical -> Surround system.

The TV has the audio out options of:
PCM - but i know this will only be 2 channel and my surround system with matrix it up to 5.1... not what I want
Dolby Digital - I know this is a compressed surround signal, but not sure how it handles incoming surround signals
DTS Neo 2:5 - I believe this is a less compressed surround signal than DD.

I'm going into the TVs HDMI inputs because I want to use the smart features of the TV and send the audio signal (surround preferably) to the Surround system. I also like this method because the TV allows delaying of the audio signal to allow for video latency.
So I did some tests and plugging my xbox straight in to the surround system gave proper 5.1 (i could tell because the voice was only in the center speaker). When I routed the xbox to the tv and out to receiver and set the tv audio output to the DTS Neo, it sent the voice to all speakers. It actually seemed like it really blurred the surround so much I couldn't tell it was surround.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Dts , passthrough , pcm , surround

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page