**Official** Sony X930C / X940C Owners Thread - Page 132 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7009Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3931 of 14302 Old 09-15-2015, 11:10 AM
Member
 
spwill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Latest update finally fixed the local dimming for Amazon 4k. No hdr on Amazon yet though.
Ken Ross and marcuslaw like this.
spwill is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3932 of 14302 Old 09-15-2015, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
ray0414's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: michigan
Posts: 16,627
Mentioned: 254 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12488 Post(s)
Liked: 11670
It appears that anyone who thought their sony was doing HDR through amazon may have been wrong, according to this article published today, it's coming soon, And Sony is offering credit towards amazon UHD with new tv purchases too.



http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-th...l-with-amazon/
brickyardz likes this.

Last edited by ray0414; 09-15-2015 at 12:36 PM.
ray0414 is online now  
post #3933 of 14302 Old 09-15-2015, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
player002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 6,222
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3928 Post(s)
Liked: 2934
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
It appears that anyone who thought their sony was doing HDR may have been wrong, according to this article published today, it's coming soon, And Sony is offering credit towards amazon UHD with new tv purchases too.



http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-th...l-with-amazon/
The article is talking about HDmi 2.0a update. i have tested the HDR files on a 930C with latest Fw it definitely is reading the metadata and displaying HDR sometimes it takes a few seconds to kick in but it works. I have seen Hdr on Js9500 and 2014 with sek 3500 and now X930C so yes it is displaying hdr off usb. The article is talking about lower models and about streaming from amazon and HDMI sources not usb as I can confirm is already working on the X930C/940C.
marcuslaw and Jbed27 like this.

My set up
LG 65B7 | Samsung KS8000 |Sony 55XBR 930D |Samsung 55Q7 Samsung 60F8500 |LG Oled 55C8
LG Oled 65C8 |Samsung 65 Q9FNSamsung 55 Q8FN | Sony 65 900F |Samsung 65 NU8000
Onkyo TX-NR545 + Dolby Atmos Speakers |Xbox One X |Ps4 Pro |PS VR |Oculus Rift
AMD Ryzen 1700 + Vega 64 + Mining Rigs Samsung Galaxy S8
player002 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3934 of 14302 Old 09-15-2015, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
ray0414's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: michigan
Posts: 16,627
Mentioned: 254 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12488 Post(s)
Liked: 11670
Quote:
Originally Posted by player002 View Post
The article is talking about HDmi 2.0a update. i have tested the HDR files on a 930C with latest Fw it definitely is reading the metadata and displaying HDR sometimes it takes a few seconds to kick in but it works. I have seen Hdr on Js9500 and 2014 with sek 3500 and now X930C so yes it is displaying hdr off usb. The article is talking about lower models and about streaming from amazon and HDMI sources not usb as I can confirm is already working on the X930C/940C.


you may be correct about HDR in general on the sony, but that is not what the article is about/states.


"Sony today announced it would soon release an update for several of its 2015 4K UHD TVs that would enable the televisions to process HDR metadata and display HDR images on-screen. "

it does not mention HDMI 2.0a until the very last paragraph to which it says:

"In its announcement, Sony did not indicate whether future firmware updates might make their televisions capable of processing HDR from other sources, such as a forthcoming 4K UHD Blu-ray player. To do so, at least one of the TV’s HDMI inputs would need to be HDMI 2.0a compliant, and currently none of them are."

this last paragraph tells me that the article itselt was NOT about hdmi 2.0a, but HDR in general.

i did edit my original post regarding amazon hdr.
brickyardz likes this.

75Q9FN*55C8OLED*Galaxy S10+ *Ub820 fed into Oppo 203* XB1X* 4k Denon X4200

MASTER LIST OF HDR CONTENT THREAD HERE, UPDATED OFTEN

Last edited by ray0414; 09-15-2015 at 12:37 PM.
ray0414 is online now  
post #3935 of 14302 Old 09-15-2015, 12:32 PM
Member
 
3DMamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Hi guys Im from the UK and moved from a 9005a to the 940c.

I would like to ask the following:

Was watching Tin and a few 3D blu rays. I love 3D. Im pretty much a 3D addict. 😀

Immediately i suspected the 940c does not play full 1080p 3D! I put on Tin Tin. The scene where he buys the boat and holds it. On the 940c the strings of the sails are very aliased. Yet playing the exact same scene on my samsung the strings are perfectly smooth. I ensured both displays where covering the exact same field of my view. Can someone test this with 3D slides and confirm? I really dissapointed as i bought this TV hopeing the 3D would be even sharper than its is on the 9005a as active 3D on a 4k is usually sharper.

Does the UK still not have "Ehanced Hdmi" as in 4k 60fps 4:4:4?
As i looked into manage inputs and was not able to find the option.

Also does the UK still not support amazon prime UHD videos? The videos are tagged as UHD but when one plays them they look 1080p.

Also for the UK does Fald fully work on netfliks 4k?

Thanks for you time.
3DMamper is offline  
post #3936 of 14302 Old 09-15-2015, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dalto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,682
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1290 Post(s)
Liked: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
It appears that anyone who thought their sony was doing HDR may have been wrong, according to this article published today, it's coming soon, And Sony is offering credit towards amazon UHD with new tv purchases too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by player002 View Post
The article is talking about HDmi 2.0a update. i have tested the HDR files on a 930C with latest Fw it definitely is reading the metadata and displaying HDR sometimes it takes a few seconds to kick in but it works. I have seen Hdr on Js9500 and 2014 with sek 3500 and now X930C so yes it is displaying hdr off usb. The article is talking about lower models and about streaming from amazon and HDMI sources not usb as I can confirm is already working on the X930C/940C.
I don't understand how anyone who has seen those clips could believe that these TVs do not support HDR. When you start one of the HDR clips it starts playing a washed out video and then it detects the HDR and completely changes the image. No other video files behave this way.

Can/will support be expanded? Probably.
Can the Amazon application be updated to support HDR? Yes.
Will an update come that will enable HDMI 2.0a and full support over HDMI? Probably.
player002 and ray0414 like this.
dalto is offline  
post #3937 of 14302 Old 09-15-2015, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dalto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,682
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1290 Post(s)
Liked: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DMamper View Post
Immediately i suspected the 940c does not play full 1080p 3D! I put on Tin Tin. The scene where he buys the boat and holds it. On the 940c the strings of the sails are very aliased. Yet playing the exact same scene on my samsung the strings are perfectly smooth. I ensured both displays where covering the exact same field of my view. Can someone test this with 3D slides and confirm? I really dissapointed as i bought this TV hopeing the 3D would be even sharper than its is on the 9005a as active 3D on a 4k is usually sharper.
It is probably your picture settings. Try the same thing in game mode and see if it is fixed. If it is, go back to whatever mode you were in and try playing around with the setting until you find which one is causing it. Start with reality creation or whatever that setting is called.
dalto is offline  
post #3938 of 14302 Old 09-15-2015, 12:49 PM
Newbie
 
TronZy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Downloading update now.
TronZy is offline  
post #3939 of 14302 Old 09-15-2015, 12:51 PM
Member
 
3DMamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I really dont think it is my settings as i went thru them all. Also the issue of it possibly not having full 1080p was raised, i just cant remeber where i saw it.

Im pretty good at testing all the setting. In very sure of it. The 3D looks almost like 900p.

I also played trine on ps4 in 3D at 720p @60hz and it looked visually nice and smooth. I then launched it on my Nvidia PC in 3D @1080p 24hz and immedialty i noticed it looked much lower res than it did on the 9005a. I felt it looled about 900p, had a bloated look about it. Hence i played around with everything and nothing resolved it.

Another disturbing issue is that the 9005a connect to PC set to 3840 X 2160 every pixel looks pixel perfect. But on the 940c to my eyes anyway it looks like it has been slightly scaled even tho i have it set to full pixel.
3DMamper is offline  
post #3940 of 14302 Old 09-15-2015, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dalto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,682
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1290 Post(s)
Liked: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DMamper View Post
I really dont think it is my settings as i went thru them all. Also the issue of it possibly not having full 1080p was raised, i just cant remeber where i saw it.

Im pretty good at testing all the setting. In very sure of it. The 3D looks almost like 900p.

I also played trine on ps4 in 3D at 720p @60hz and it looked visually nice and smooth. I then launched it on my Nvidia PC in 3D @1080p 24hz and immedialty i noticed it looked much lower res than it did on the 9005a. I felt it looled about 900p, had a bloated look about it. Hence i played around with everything and nothing resolved it.

Another disturbing issue is that the 9005a connect to PC set to 3840 X 2160 every pixel looks pixel perfect. But on the 940c to my eyes anyway it looks like it has been slightly scaled even tho i have it set to full pixel.
OK, well, what you are describing is pretty much what I see when connect a PC at UHD and don't have it set to Game or Graphics picture mode so I would least try that as a test.
3DMamper likes this.
dalto is offline  
post #3941 of 14302 Old 09-15-2015, 01:39 PM
Member
 
3DMamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Hi Dalto. Ill try it once again once i regain control of the TV room. Ill post my findings asap. But it seems odd to have to set the 3D movie to game mode or grpahics mode?

Btw. After making adjustments to the picture... how do you guys go bakc to your movie/game? On the 9005a i would press the back button a few times on the 940c annoyjbg i pres source and then enter. Its a hassle.
3DMamper is offline  
post #3942 of 14302 Old 09-15-2015, 01:46 PM
Rabid 3-D Aficionado
 
marcuslaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,545
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 735 Post(s)
Liked: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DMamper View Post
Hi guys Im from the UK and moved from a 9005a to the 940c.

I would like to ask the following:

Was watching Tin and a few 3D blu rays. I love 3D. Im pretty much a 3D addict. 😀

Immediately i suspected the 940c does not play full 1080p 3D! I put on Tin Tin. The scene where he buys the boat and holds it. On the 940c the strings of the sails are very aliased. Yet playing the exact same scene on my samsung the strings are perfectly smooth. I ensured both displays where covering the exact same field of my view. Can someone test this with 3D slides and confirm? I really dissapointed as i bought this TV hopeing the 3D would be even sharper than its is on the 9005a as active 3D on a 4k is usually sharper.
I too am what might referred to as a 3D addict and have owned a 940C for almost two months. In that time, I have seen a couple of dozen 3-D BD including everything from Polar Express 3D (don't ask) and Lichtmond 2 (3D) to Vatican Museums 3D and am without a doubt that you are seeing Full 1080p left and right images though I haven't been able to find any official confirmation of this from Sony or a reviewer (given that many no longer evaluate 3-D performance). Give me the time stamp for the scene you're referring to and I'll check it on my gear.
marcuslaw is offline  
post #3943 of 14302 Old 09-15-2015, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: WI
Posts: 2,873
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2325 Post(s)
Liked: 1130
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcuslaw View Post
I too am what might referred to as a 3D addict and have owned a 940C for almost two months. In that time, I have seen a couple of dozen 3-D BD including everything from Polar Express 3D (don't ask) and Lichtmond 2 (3D) to Vatican Museums 3D and am without a doubt that you are seeing Full 1080p left and right images though I haven't been able to find any official confirmation of this from Sony or a reviewer (given that many no longer evaluate 3-D performance). Give me the time stamp for the scene you're referring to and I'll check it on my gear.
And what is wrong with Polar Express?
marcuslaw likes this.
New24K is offline  
post #3944 of 14302 Old 09-15-2015, 01:59 PM
Rabid 3-D Aficionado
 
marcuslaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,545
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 735 Post(s)
Liked: 619
FYI. The new update did change my G-Gain and B-Gain settings under Adv. Color Temperature. Everything else from the Value Electronic settings were left untouched.
marcuslaw is offline  
post #3945 of 14302 Old 09-15-2015, 02:23 PM
Member
 
3DMamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcuslaw View Post
I too am what might referred to as a 3D addict and have owned a 940C for almost two months. In that time, I have seen a couple of dozen 3-D BD including everything from Polar Express 3D (don't ask) and Lichtmond 2 (3D) to Vatican Museums 3D and am without a doubt that you are seeing Full 1080p left and right images though I haven't been able to find any official confirmation of this from Sony or a reviewer (given that many no longer evaluate 3-D performance). Give me the time stamp for the scene you're referring to and I'll check it on my gear.
Tin Tin 3d 0.07.05 to 0.07.19. Wheres he holding the boat. The sails strings are really badly aliased expoing the lower than 1080p res. On my other samsung they are perfectly smooth (Attached Pic).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150915_222519.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	475.0 KB
ID:	942226  

Last edited by 3DMamper; 09-15-2015 at 03:14 PM.
3DMamper is offline  
post #3946 of 14302 Old 09-15-2015, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dsinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcuslaw View Post
FYI. The new update did change my G-Gain and B-Gain settings under Adv. Color Temperature. Everything else from the Value Electronic settings were left untouched.
Thanks for letting us know. Last update f__ked with them as well. Should never happen.
dsinger is offline  
post #3947 of 14302 Old 09-15-2015, 03:17 PM
Member
 
sweeney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 31
FWIW, since today's upgrade, I can finally pair my bluetooth Apple Keyboard. Unfortunately, it doesn't work with the Opera browser, but does with Netflix.
sweeney is offline  
post #3948 of 14302 Old 09-15-2015, 03:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Infiniti-F1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 495
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 101
More Sony 4K TVs will support HDR color this fall

http://www.engadget.com/2015/09/15/s...pport-expands/
Infiniti-F1 is offline  
post #3949 of 14302 Old 09-15-2015, 04:51 PM
Rabid 3-D Aficionado
 
marcuslaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,545
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 735 Post(s)
Liked: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeney View Post
FWIW, since today's upgrade, I can finally pair my bluetooth Apple Keyboard. Unfortunately, it doesn't work with the Opera browser, but does with Netflix.
I wonder if that glitch was just an Apple one. My Jelly Comb IBK-14 Bluetooth keyboard has worked since I bought it about one month ago.
marcuslaw is offline  
post #3950 of 14302 Old 09-15-2015, 05:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Adamd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,961
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DMamper View Post
I really dont think it is my settings as i went thru them all. Also the issue of it possibly not having full 1080p was raised, i just cant remeber where i saw it.

Im pretty good at testing all the setting. In very sure of it. The 3D looks almost like 900p.

I also played trine on ps4 in 3D at 720p @60hz and it looked visually nice and smooth. I then launched it on my Nvidia PC in 3D @1080p 24hz and immedialty i noticed it looked much lower res than it did on the 9005a. I felt it looled about 900p, had a bloated look about it. Hence i played around with everything and nothing resolved it.

Another disturbing issue is that the 9005a connect to PC set to 3840 X 2160 every pixel looks pixel perfect. But on the 940c to my eyes anyway it looks like it has been slightly scaled even tho i have it set to full pixel.

I had the9005a as well and that tv has the best 3D out of any set I've seen. I know what your saying about the x940c I have it as well. The 3D looks a little softer then the 900a. I read in a review that the 940 is 1080p but they said it has some roll off. I think that's what you are seeing. Samsungs 3D looks cleaner but the 940 does do very good 3D.
Adamd is offline  
post #3951 of 14302 Old 09-15-2015, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
player002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 6,222
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3928 Post(s)
Liked: 2934
Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
And what is wrong with Polar Express?
I love me some 3d too have so many titles Polar express has some great 3d imagery lots of depth..

My set up
LG 65B7 | Samsung KS8000 |Sony 55XBR 930D |Samsung 55Q7 Samsung 60F8500 |LG Oled 55C8
LG Oled 65C8 |Samsung 65 Q9FNSamsung 55 Q8FN | Sony 65 900F |Samsung 65 NU8000
Onkyo TX-NR545 + Dolby Atmos Speakers |Xbox One X |Ps4 Pro |PS VR |Oculus Rift
AMD Ryzen 1700 + Vega 64 + Mining Rigs Samsung Galaxy S8
player002 is offline  
post #3952 of 14302 Old 09-15-2015, 06:31 PM
Member
 
blazeby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NYC, NY
Posts: 122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrweber View Post
Did you figure this out? I am having the same issue with 5.1 via optical out.
No, I haven't figure it out yet - does anyone know of a fix?
blazeby is offline  
post #3953 of 14302 Old 09-15-2015, 07:55 PM
Member
 
3DMamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Dalto you are correct, oddly in vivid and standard mode for some reason the 3D of the 940c is my gustination only 900p! Soft and low res looking.

Yet set the picture mode to game and it plays properly at 1080p 3D!

Must surely be a bug? If anyone knows a sony tech please let them know. It needs fixing.

I know the UK is slightlt behing on the firmware update, so could this be a bug isolated to UK/Europe?

Can USA customers try and report back.

It's scary to think some members have been watching 900p 3D all this time. As a side note. My samsung 8500 does better depth, has sharper and brighter 3D, next comes the 9005a becuase theres simply no flicker, last comes the 940c as theres a random flicker and the image is slightly on the dark side with black crush.

Thanks guys for the help!
farminfool likes this.

Last edited by 3DMamper; 09-16-2015 at 06:00 AM.
3DMamper is offline  
post #3954 of 14302 Old 09-15-2015, 08:25 PM
Member
 
funkjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Mamane View Post
Guess which one is the 940c?

i watched some youtube 4k videos and those are by far the best images i have seen on my tv thus far. I truly cannot even imagine how a picture could get better than that unless it was 3d holographic 8k with SHDR (i made up that last one)

They 4k on youtube was much better than the 4k i saw on netflix or amazon. Just astounding.

I still am however probably going to return this set simply due to the fact that most of what i watch is satellite 720p, 1080i and maybe a lil 1080p streaming and i have been underwhelmed by the tv's ability to handle some (not all) but at least half of those feeds. I think the downfall from what i have been told by other posters is the simple fact that it is such a large screen and coming from a 42" samsung, whose ability to as a result of its smaller screen, to hide all the flaws and tighten the picture and make it much more sharp and clear with less blur or noise and artifacts. I think in my particular instance it was too much of a jump for me and a 65" is a better transitional size for me. So i have a 65" flat lg oled (ef9500) coming from cleveland plasma in a couple weeks and though i know i probably wont get as good as a 4k picture as the x940c (and definitely not as bright) i think it will handle my satellite dish feed better and my streaming better and give me a more familiar experience.

However if ur main use for the x940c is going to be blur ray, 4k streaming, games, and maybe even pc stuff then the x940c is probably the best tv on the market.
I have the 930c and the picture is amazing even on cable at 1080i with my tivo. My provider is Charter Communications. Do you have a power conditioner connected to your set and other components? If not, you should consider trying that first (plus they are worth the investment in case of a surge). You would be amazed at how much difference it can make. I also have a coaxial amplifier installed where the line comes in from charter to the house.
brickyardz likes this.
funkjack is offline  
post #3955 of 14302 Old 09-15-2015, 08:32 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 33,058
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7277 Post(s)
Liked: 8047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Mamane View Post
Guess which one is the 940c?

i watched some youtube 4k videos and those are by far the best images i have seen on my tv thus far. I truly cannot even imagine how a picture could get better than that unless it was 3d holographic 8k with SHDR (i made up that last one)

They 4k on youtube was much better than the 4k i saw on netflix or amazon. Just astounding.

I still am however probably going to return this set simply due to the fact that most of what i watch is satellite 720p, 1080i and maybe a lil 1080p streaming and i have been underwhelmed by the tv's ability to handle some (not all) but at least half of those feeds. I think the downfall from what i have been told by other posters is the simple fact that it is such a large screen and coming from a 42" samsung, whose ability to as a result of its smaller screen, to hide all the flaws and tighten the picture and make it much more sharp and clear with less blur or noise and artifacts. I think in my particular instance it was too much of a jump for me and a 65" is a better transitional size for me. So i have a 65" flat lg oled (ef9500) coming from cleveland plasma in a couple weeks and though i know i probably wont get as good as a 4k picture as the x940c (and definitely not as bright) i think it will handle my satellite dish feed better and my streaming better and give me a more familiar experience.

However if ur main use for the x940c is going to be blur ray, 4k streaming, games, and maybe even pc stuff then the x940c is probably the best tv on the market.
Interestingly I find the HD picture from Directv stunning on my 940c. Of course not all channels, shows or streaming are created equal, but the better content is stunning and definitely better than how it looked on my 64" F8500...and that was excellent.

So it's hard to say if it's your settings or something else. I know HD certainly looks better to me on the 940c than it did on the 65" 9600 OLED, despite the 10" smaller size. I believe the Sony processing is much better than the LG.

I haven't seen the LG 9500, but best of luck with it.
brickyardz likes this.
Ken Ross is offline  
post #3956 of 14302 Old 09-15-2015, 08:39 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 33,058
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7277 Post(s)
Liked: 8047
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
It appears that anyone who thought their sony was doing HDR through amazon may have been wrong, according to this article published today, it's coming soon, And Sony is offering credit towards amazon UHD with new tv purchases too.



http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-th...l-with-amazon/
Yup, I had been a bit skeptical.
ray0414 likes this.
Ken Ross is offline  
post #3957 of 14302 Old 09-15-2015, 10:26 PM
Member
 
farminfool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DMamper View Post
Dalto you oddly in vivid and standard mode for some reason the 3D of the 940c is my gustination only 900p! Soft and low res looking.

Yet set the picture mode to game and it plays properly at 1080p 3D!

Must surely be a bug? If anyone knows a sony tech please let them know. It needs fixing.

I know the UK is slightlt behing on the firmware update, so could this be a bug isolated to UK/Europe?

Can USA customers try and report back.

It's scary to think some members have been watching 900p 3D all this time. As a side note. My samsung 8500 does better depth, has sharper and brighter 3D, next comes the 9005a becuase theres simply no flicker, last comes the 940c as theres a random flicker and the image is slightly on the dark side with black crush.

Thanks guys for the help!
This for 3D bluray ? Or off a PC?

Goldenear Triton 1, Sony XBR 940c,LG 65E6P, Denon x7200WA,Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K Blu-ray , Polk-Audio-LSiM704c,Polk Audio FXiA6 SS,Polk Audio DSW Pro660 Sub, paradigm,KEF height (atmos) 5.1.4
farminfool is offline  
post #3958 of 14302 Old 09-15-2015, 10:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Carlos_E's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,482
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1282 Post(s)
Liked: 1216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_E View Post
I'm installing the update now.
I watched cable TV tonight and was impressed with the picture quality for cable. I checked the signal and it was 720p! I thought holly....! It seems as if the update improved up conversion especially 720p. Is anyone else noticing this?
Carlos_E is offline  
post #3959 of 14302 Old 09-16-2015, 03:07 AM
Newbie
 
cfh11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Has anyone successfully unpacked and packed the 940c again in the original packaging? I am going to be getting mine about a week before I move to a new house and even though I'm sure the best thing would be to just leave it in the box I'm not sure if I can lol
cfh11 is offline  
post #3960 of 14302 Old 09-16-2015, 03:11 AM
Rabid 3-D Aficionado
 
marcuslaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,545
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 735 Post(s)
Liked: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DMamper View Post
Tin Tin 3d 0.07.05 to 0.07.19. Wheres he holding the boat. The sails strings are really badly aliased expoing the lower than 1080p res. On my other samsung they are perfectly smooth (Attached Pic).
Yes, I did confirm sidestepping on the strings playing from my Oppo BDP95 though, for me, it wasn't too distracting but I can see how it might bother you and others. Though it's not dispositive of your question, I should point out that upon pressing "display" for the Sony, it read "1080p HD 3D" in the upper left corner. Does your Samsung apply smooth gradation or similar effect to an image that your settings on the Sony do not?
marcuslaw is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
940C , hdr , Sony , X930C , X940C

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off