**Official** Sony X930C / X940C Owners Thread - Page 133 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7015Likes

post #3961 of 14413 Old 09-16-2015, 04:14 AM
Rabid 3-D Aficionado

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfh11 View Post
Has anyone successfully unpacked and packed the 940c again in the original packaging? I am going to be getting mine about a week before I move to a new house and even though I'm sure the best thing would be to just leave it in the box I'm not sure if I can lol
Unpacking this behemoth was such a fun experience, if I were you, I'd do it twice despite the labor it might take.
Jbed27 and cfh11 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3962 of 14413 Old 09-16-2015, 04:17 AM
Rabid 3-D Aficionado

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Sony N.A. website just updated the firmware page. Unfortunately, it's a little thin on specifics again.

Quote:
File Description UPDATE System Software Update Release Date 9/16/2015 Version PKG2.473.0010NAB File Size 1.08 GB

Sony has designed the BRAVIA® Televisions software update process to be customer friendly. This software update (version PKG2.473.0010NAB) provides the following benefits:

Improvements over version PKG2.463.0017NAB:
•Improves general software quality of the TV

Benefits provided by previous updates and included in version PKG2.473.0010NAB:
•Improves general performance of the TV
•Supports PlayMemories Online service
•Supports PlayStation™ Now service
•Improves Wi-Fi connectivity of the TV
•Improves picture quality (dynamic range, noise reduction, sharpness)
•Supports Netflix® streaming service (4K Models)
•Improves Lip Sync for HDMI input
•Improves performance and stability of the USB video playback features
•Resolves a condition where a black screen and no sound may occur when an input changes from YouTube® to another input
•Resolves a condition where a black screen may occur during USB video playback
•Supports Internet based EPG (Electronic program guide)
•Supports Netflix streaming service (2K Models)
•Supports Amazon, Pandora®, and Crackle™ applications
•Supports Force Reboot by holding down the Power key on the BT or IR remote controller
•Improves performance and stability of overall UI operation
•Improves performance and stability of the Action Menu
brickyardz and Carlos_E like this.

Last edited by marcuslaw; 09-16-2015 at 04:30 AM.
post #3963 of 14413 Old 09-16-2015, 05:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger View Post
Thanks for letting us know. Last update f__ked with them as well. Should never happen.
I stand corrected. My settings did NOT change this time. Now the question is why did they change on one set and not another?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3964 of 14413 Old 09-16-2015, 05:52 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 7378 Post(s)
Liked: 8256
Sounds like it may be an improvement to the stability of the Android OS.
post #3965 of 14413 Old 09-16-2015, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hi any body know how to get free movie HDR movie from Amazon if you have 4 k TV
post #3966 of 14413 Old 09-16-2015, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by spwill View Post
Latest update finally fixed the local dimming for Amazon 4k. No hdr on Amazon yet though.
The UK has not got this update yet. So annoying. When will be be released for us guys in europe?
post #3967 of 14413 Old 09-16-2015, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farminfool View Post
This for 3D bluray ? Or off a PC?
This is from both standalone bluray player and ps4.

As confirmed this TV does not do full HD in normal and vivid picture modes, but does in game mode! Must be a software bug?
post #3968 of 14413 Old 09-16-2015, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Has anyone successfully unpacked and packed the 940c again in the original packaging? I am going to be getting mine about a week before I move to a new house and even though I'm sure the best thing would be to just leave it in the box I'm not sure if I can lol
its a pain in the ass. luckily this tv has a glossy glass covering, so i would just throw some pillows in the box for added protection. i know when i unboxed mine i ruined he styrofoam. that box is a pain to store away.

Carlos, i dont know if its the result of me playing with the settings so much or the update but i have noticed what seems to be a better picture of my dish channels too. I also rearranged my living room some and now sit further away from the tv which has helped some too.
post #3969 of 14413 Old 09-16-2015, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DMamper View Post
This is from both standalone bluray player and ps4.

As confirmed this TV does not do full HD in normal and vivid picture modes, but does in game mode! Must be a software bug?
Crazy did not realize this. I was happy with 3D before.
3DMamper likes this.

Goldenear Triton 1, Sony XBR 940c,LG 65E6P, Denon x7200WA,Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K Blu-ray , Polk-Audio-LSiM704c,Polk Audio FXiA6 SS,Polk Audio DSW Pro660 Sub, paradigm,KEF height (atmos) 5.1.4
post #3970 of 14413 Old 09-16-2015, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2454 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
For real?
post #3971 of 14413 Old 09-16-2015, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
So I just got my TV (75x940c) installed this week (Thanks to Cleveland Plasma) and I LOVE it....but I have been debating what the best settings would be. I saw what Carlos_E posted from the shootout, what LD VAD3R, and wxman posted - I also saw that there are settings for the 65" on rtngs.com ... just wondering if there is any consensus as to which set of settings are the best?

As a second question - is there a replacement coming for the SWF-BR100? I thought the wireless sub idea seemed like a good one, but was surprised to see that Sony has discontinued this model. Any advice here?
post #3972 of 14413 Old 09-16-2015, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farminfool View Post
Crazy did not realize this. I was happy with 3D before.
3D Will get a heck lot better for you now The difference is HUGE. Its like double the res!

The first time i played a 3d bluray i thought this is terrible. Lucky Dalto advice worked. Or this TV would have went straight back.
post #3973 of 14413 Old 09-16-2015, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcuslaw View Post
New from the Sony support site:

Firmware1 files(s)

File Description UPDATE System Software Update Release Date 8/25/2015 Version PKG2.463.0010NAB File Size 1.08 GB

Sony has designed the BRAVIA® Televisions software update process to be customer friendly. This software update (version PKG2.463.0010NAB) provides the following benefits:
Improvements over version PKG2.287.0010NAB:
Benefits provided by previous updates and included in version PKG2.463.0010NAB:
•Resolves a condition where a black screen and no sound may occur when an input changes from YouTube® to another input
•Supports Force Reboot by holding down the Power key on the BT or IR remote controller
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcuslaw View Post
Sony N.A. website just updated the firmware page. Unfortunately, it's a little thin on specifics again.

Quote:
File Description UPDATE System Software Update Release Date 9/16/2015 Version PKG2.473.0010NAB File Size 1.08 GB

Sony has designed the BRAVIA® Televisions software update process to be customer friendly. This software update (version PKG2.473.0010NAB) provides the following benefits:

Improvements over version PKG2.463.0017NAB:
•Improves general software quality of the TV

Benefits provided by previous updates and included in version PKG2.473.0010NAB:

I thought this update looked very similar to the one in August. I really haven't noticed anything difference in performance but I haven't had much time to really check it out yet.
post #3974 of 14413 Old 09-16-2015, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 47
so i did some comparisons with the eg9600 at best buy.

i connected the tv to my phone and played some netflix stuff, hd and 4k.

The x940c in my opinion has a much better picture. It is truly underestimated the significance "brightness" has in the quality of an image. But its not only the brightness that makes it better, its the color, the sound, motion.

All these things seemed to be superior in the x940c. Even dare i say it, the contrast, blacks. I know i know oled is supposed to have infinite blacks and contrast. I just didnt see the difference. black looked black to me on both sets. but not only that the black on the x940c, maybe cause of the glossy glass covering, looked black black or "inky" as ppl like to call it. There are still some things about the 75" size that i am having to get used to and realize will never be the same having come from a tightly clean smaller pixel 42" but slowly i am finding ways to fix those small flaws and make the sharpness comparable. but regardless the other enhancments this tv does to the pic that the 42" sam could never do are hard to go w/o not that i have had some time with. especially the color and brightness. i do watch alot of daytime tv and i love sunlight and to be able to have both is great.

I am still lost as to why my streams via wired ethernet connection using the tv app hulu are of less quality, picture wise (blurrier and noisier) than my hdmi2 input using the hulu app on my roku3 via a wireless wifi connection.

I wonder if the roku is able to process the hulu video better than the tv is able to do. ? someone suggested using an avr or some sort of middle machine to process all my feeds before going into the tv.

Does anybody else think that outsourcing the image processing to another device will result in a better picture? Maybe a standalone machine whose sole purpose is to process the best image possible is better and to just use the tv strictly as a panel, which it is an amazing panel.
Ken Ross, Carlos_E, Jbed27 and 1 others like this.
post #3975 of 14413 Old 09-16-2015, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1291 Post(s)
Liked: 658
Quote:
Dalto you are correct, oddly in vivid and standard mode for some reason the 3D of the 940c is my gustination only 900p! Soft and low res looking.

Yet set the picture mode to game and it plays properly at 1080p 3D!

Must surely be a bug? If anyone knows a sony tech please let them know. It needs fixing.
I haven't checked extensively but I don't think it is a bug. My best guess is that it is one of the video processing options that is on by default in standard and vivid. Game mode has all those off by default. I can probably play around later and figure out which one it is. I don't use either of those picture modes so my settings for those should be unchanged from the last reset I did.
post #3976 of 14413 Old 09-16-2015, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalto View Post
I haven't checked extensively but I don't think it is a bug. My best guess is that it is one of the video processing options that is on by default in standard and vivid. Game mode has all those off by default. I can probably play around later and figure out which one it is. I don't use either of those picture modes so my settings for those should be unchanged from the last reset I did.
I just tested on my 940c and see no visible difference in resolution in any of the most used video display options including vivid and sport and game and standard. When checked using the display button it states 1080 3D on all.
post #3977 of 14413 Old 09-16-2015, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
I would open it to inspect for damages, and make sure I did not receive a defective TV.
post #3978 of 14413 Old 09-16-2015, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Player002, you said -
Quote:
The article is talking about HDmi 2.0a update. i have tested the HDR files on a 930C with latest Fw it definitely is reading the metadata and displaying HDR sometimes it takes a few seconds to kick in but it works.
How/where did you find/download functional HDR material for testing? Thanks.
post #3979 of 14413 Old 09-16-2015, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserSeaBass View Post
I would open it to inspect for damages, and make sure I did not receive a defective TV.
right, i am definitely going to give a thorough inspection but i was under the impression that you could do that without completely unpacking it (i.e. leave the bottom part of the box on). given that it is going to go in a truck and drive 40 miles the next week i am nervous about completely unpacking it, but i feel like having it sitting in my living room in a box without using it will be too much to bear
post #3980 of 14413 Old 09-16-2015, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Apps on 930C

First thank you to Carlos and many other on the guidance and advice regarding the 930C helped me seal the deal. My 930C came in on Saturday.
Unfortunately (sorry if this has been discussed previously) I am amazed at how little App support there is for 930C Google play. I have Plex/Plex Pass and have to type a pin each time I want to watch a film from my server.
Also wanted to steam WatchESPN for sports and see that it is not an offered App?! WTF.
Moreover, I figure that the cable provider my folks have Comcast Xfinity is not listed in the "cable providers list" however when I do a search based on the zip code I find "comcast XFINITY" although when I enter that in the search box it can't find it!
Has anyone else had these types of issues? Or any advice regarding workarounds?

Thank you.
post #3981 of 14413 Old 09-16-2015, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Interestingly I find the HD picture from Directv stunning on my 940c. Of course not all channels, shows or streaming are created equal, but the better content is stunning and definitely better than how it looked on my 64" F8500...and that was excellent.

So it's hard to say if it's your settings or something else. I know HD certainly looks better to me on the 940c than it did on the 65" 9600 OLED, despite the 10" smaller size. I believe the Sony processing is much better than the LG.

I haven't seen the LG 9500, but best of luck with it.
Hi ken, how does soccer or football look on directv with this tv compared to your f8500? I'm trying to compare this tv to the Samsung 9000 or 9500 series. It's going to be replacing a pioneer 111fd. Most of my viewing is sports on directv or gaming on ps4. I hardly ever watch movies. Do you think the 940c will look as good or better than my pioneer with sports on directv? I'm happy with the picture quality now but want a bigger screen. I respect your opinion because you always tell it like it is and don't have brand loyalty.

Thanks

Edit: forgot to mention that the channels I mainly watch are fox sports and NBC sports so I think they are 1080i on directv.
post #3982 of 14413 Old 09-16-2015, 01:26 PM

So I do think there have been significant changes with the latest update.

I had on a thumb drive, a previously loaded Samsung S-UHD clip that, as I understand it, is HDR encoded. I've played it before and it looked like very good 4K, but nothing 'HDRish' about it.

Now, post-update, that same clip triggers a whole bunch of stuff on my 940c. From a changing of the picture mode to 'vivid', pinning brightness & contrast, to maxing out extended DR as well as a few other things.

That clip now has blazingly bright highlights with exceedingly saturated colors that weren't even close to this 'look' prior to the update.

Now with that said, could I have achieved the same thing by maxing out all the controls that the clip has automatically maxed out? I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility, but I tend to doubt it.

Also, as was previously mentioned, it does seem as if FALD is now working perfectly on Amazon 4K.
brickyardz likes this.
post #3983 of 14413 Old 09-16-2015, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1695 Post(s)
Liked: 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben88 View Post
Hi ken, how does soccer or football look on directv with this tv compared to your f8500? I'm trying to compare this tv to the Samsung 9000 or 9500 series. It's going to be replacing a pioneer 111fd. Most of my viewing is sports on directv or gaming on ps4. I hardly ever watch movies. Do you think the 940c will look as good or better than my pioneer with sports on directv? I'm happy with the picture quality now but want a bigger screen. I respect your opinion because you always tell it like it is and don't have brand loyalty.

Thanks

Edit: forgot to mention that the channels I mainly watch are fox sports and NBC sports so I think they are 1080i on directv.
I'm not Ken, but have similar viewing habits. I had a Panasonic VT65 plasma and switched to the 940c. I could NOT be happier. I looked at the Sammy and the Sony (even thought about the 65" LG OLED)...but in the end, I put sports side-by-side in the store and that's what won me over. I think the motion is much better on the Sony and the colors look much more realistic to me. NBC/CBS look absolutely fantastic on the set. The 720p (Fox/FS1/ESPN/MLB Network) still looks great, but just not quite as crisp (to be expected).
post #3984 of 14413 Old 09-16-2015, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1291 Post(s)
Liked: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV JJ View Post
Player002, you said -
How/where did you find/download functional HDR material for testing? Thanks.
http://www.demo-uhd3d.com
post #3985 of 14413 Old 09-16-2015, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCsoftball7 View Post
I'm not Ken, but have similar viewing habits. I had a Panasonic VT65 plasma and switched to the 940c. I could NOT be happier. I looked at the Sammy and the Sony (even thought about the 65" LG OLED)...but in the end, I put sports side-by-side in the store and that's what won me over. I think the motion is much better on the Sony and the colors look much more realistic to me. NBC/CBS look absolutely fantastic on the set. The 720p (Fox/FS1/ESPN/MLB Network) still looks great, but just not quite as crisp (to be expected).
Thank you so much for your input. It seems like with lcd tvs you have to go high end to get good motion performance. 80% of my viewing is sports so it is important to me. Thanks again!

Also, I didn't know fs1 was 720p. I always wondered why soccer looked better on NBC.
post #3986 of 14413 Old 09-16-2015, 01:33 PM

Quote:

Thanks

Thanks for the nice words Ben.

I find that virtually everything looks better on my 940c relative to my F8500, and that was a great picture. As you might know, I had a Pioneer Kuro Pro 150. I would also say that the 940c handily beats that display too, although I never had an opportunity to do a direct A/B with it.

Sports, in general, look excellent. Of course you see the same variation that occurs normally from one broadcast to another. Some look 'OK' and others look just great. It's the same variability I've seen with every display I've ever had. Suffice is to say I think you'd be very pleased.

Ben, if you have a Magnolia near you, I would suggest you check out an NFL game on the 940c. I'm sure they'd be more than happy to put a game on if they have the necessary routing of the signals.

Good luck!
post #3987 of 14413 Old 09-16-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Thanks for the nice words Ben.

I find that virtually everything looks better on my 940c relative to my F8500, and that was a great picture. As you might know, I had a Pioneer Kuro Pro 150. I would also say that the 940c handily beats that display too, although I never had an opportunity to do a direct A/B with it.

Sports, in general, look excellent. Of course you see the same variation that occurs normally from one broadcast to another. Some look 'OK' and others look just great. It's the same variability I've seen with every display I've ever had. Suffice is to say I think you'd be very pleased.

Ben, if you have a Magnolia near you, I would suggest you check out an NFL game on the 940c. I'm sure they'd be more than happy to put a game on if they have the necessary routing of the signals.

Good luck!
Thanks ken! Do you think there's any chance the 940c could come down to the 5-6k price range by the end of the year?
post #3988 of 14413 Old 09-16-2015, 01:40 PM

I'd say it's certainly within the realm of possibility.
post #3989 of 14413 Old 09-16-2015, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1695 Post(s)
Liked: 1290
Quote:
Thanks ken! Do you think there's any chance the 940c could come down to the 5-6k price range by the end of the year?
I didn't wait for the TV to come down to that range. Instead, I negotiated a discount on the stand. I paid 7k for the TV and the BDI stand ($1650 retail). You can still negotiate, just be creative.
post #3990 of 14413 Old 09-16-2015, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2454 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCsoftball7 View Post
I didn't wait for the TV to come down to that range. Instead, I negotiated a discount on the stand. I paid 7k for the TV and the BDI stand ($1650 retail). You can still negotiate, just be creative.
Where did you purchase it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
940C , hdr , Sony , X930C , X940C

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page