**Official** Sony X930C / X940C Owners Thread - Page 134 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7010Likes

post #3991 of 14307 Old 09-16-2015, 01:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfh11 View Post
right, i am definitely going to give a thorough inspection but i was under the impression that you could do that without completely unpacking it (i.e. leave the bottom part of the box on). given that it is going to go in a truck and drive 40 miles the next week i am nervous about completely unpacking it, but i feel like having it sitting in my living room in a box without using it will be too much to bear
Haha. Kudos to you if you could hold out. I couldn't. When mine was delivered, I had to head back to work and those 4 hrs were hard to bare. Damn TV was on my mind the entire time so i left work 30 mins early. That glossy screen and that new plastic smell, I wanted to hug it but of course, don't want to leave any prints, lol. And yes, you can inspect it without completely unpacking it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3992 of 14307 Old 09-16-2015, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1693 Post(s)
Liked: 1286
This material definitely puts the TV in HDR mode:

http://demo-uhd3d.com/fiche.php?cat=uhd&id=88
player002 likes this.
post #3993 of 14307 Old 09-16-2015, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DMamper View Post
This is from both standalone bluray player and ps4.

As confirmed this TV does not do full HD in normal and vivid picture modes, but does in game mode! Must be a software bug?
Ok I found out what makes it 1080p in game mode. It's because in game mode motionflow is not available. If you go into any mode and turn off motionflow the refresh rate will change from 60hz to 48hz. So with 48hz it looks sharper but it does show flicker a lot more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3994 of 14307 Old 09-16-2015, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Thanks for the information guys. Does anyone know what the input lag is on the 940c in game mode? I haven't been able to find that info out.

Edit: found it on an avforums.com review for the European version, it is 36ms. Not the best but still good.

Last edited by ben88; 09-16-2015 at 02:35 PM.
post #3995 of 14307 Old 09-16-2015, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben88 View Post
Thanks for the information guys. Does anyone know what the input lag is on the 940c in game mode? I haven't been able to find that info out.

Edit: found it on an avforums.com review for the European version, it is 36ms. Not the best but still good.
Ive had a x9005a which is rated at about 45ms and it was ok for games. Even online FPS.

The 940c is much better at 36ms in its game mode. However ive found it so fast even in standard picture settings i play many of my single player games in that mode for the best possibel image. I never usially play outside of game mode but the 940c allows it and its great. Highly recommended as a gamers option. Remeber if you are usong a setting other than gane mode then turn off motion flow.
post #3996 of 14307 Old 09-16-2015, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamd View Post
Ok I found out what makes it 1080p in game mode. It's because in game mode motionflow is not available. If you go into any mode and turn off motionflow the refresh rate will change from 60hz to 48hz. So with 48hz it looks sharper but it does show flicker a lot more.
Interesting find. Are you a US user. As im UK and motion flow is still selectable in the menus in our firmware. So in essence the 940c is not a full hd 3D TV. Thats so dissapointing.

Tbh even game mode i find the 3D on the 940c extremely lacking in detail and brightness. Its odd as the panel says max brightness but its nowhere near as bright as the 2D mode even without the glasses on.
Im coming from owning 5 different 3D displays and the 940c imho is the worst of the lot. So dissapointing as i bought it mainly to have 3D in glorious 75in. The reduced detail. Washed out murky colours and the dimness of the 3D image.

Even my Sony HW50es projector on a 85in screen looks much more pleasing to the eye in 3D. I really hope this is a UK firmware issue and in the future its fixed/improved.
post #3997 of 14307 Old 09-16-2015, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 7297 Post(s)
Liked: 8101
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCsoftball7 View Post
This material definitely puts the TV in HDR mode:

http://demo-uhd3d.com/fiche.php?cat=uhd&id=88
It does, but I don't think it's done correctly. The sky is a milky gray, not black. I'm still not convinced the HDR thing is working correctly.

In fact, once the Samsung clip kicks the display into Vivid mode and what appears to be 'HDR', that mode carries over to the Amazon app, regardless of what you do in that app. You can see right away the Amazon app is too hyped before you even go into a movie or video. If you manually select a different picture profile like Cinema Home, you'll find that going back to the Samsung HDR clip will now stay in Cinema Home without that 'HDR look'.

So I think the implementation still isn't correct.
post #3998 of 14307 Old 09-16-2015, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Hoping someone can HELP... I just downloaded the latest firmware for my 930C, and now when I use Netflix, it locks me out of my picture mode adjustments.. I can't change the mode... it is greyed out and it makes my picture look like garbage... way over saturated. Anyone else seeing this issue???

One thing I did do after the update was plug a USB in to view the HDR life of pi clip, and I noticed the same thing then, pic mode was greyed out. But, I thought that was normal for HDR to lock out some of the settings, so I didn't think anything of it. Could this have tweaked something and made my Netflix video mode totally locked?

I already re-booted again and I still can't change anything.

Thanks!

Last edited by Jbed27; 09-16-2015 at 05:14 PM.
post #3999 of 14307 Old 09-16-2015, 05:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DMamper View Post
Interesting find. Are you a US user. As im UK and motion flow is still selectable in the menus in our firmware. So in essence the 940c is not a full hd 3D TV. Thats so dissapointing.

Tbh even game mode i find the 3D on the 940c extremely lacking in detail and brightness. Its odd as the panel says max brightness but its nowhere near as bright as the 2D mode even without the glasses on.
Im coming from owning 5 different 3D displays and the 940c imho is the worst of the lot. So dissapointing as i bought it mainly to have 3D in glorious 75in. The reduced detail. Washed out murky colours and the dimness of the 3D image.

Even my Sony HW50es projector on a 85in screen looks much more pleasing to the eye in 3D. I really hope this is a UK firmware issue and in the future its fixed/improved.
If you go into the 3D menu you can change the glasses brightness. On default is on low. I have mine on medium and it's plenty bright. Is all you Eco settings off?
post #4000 of 14307 Old 09-16-2015, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbed27 View Post
Hoping someone can HELP... I just downloaded the latest firmware for my 930C, and now when I use Netflix, it locks me out of my picture mode adjustments.. I can't change the mode... it is greyed out and it makes my picture look like garbage... way over saturated. Anyone else seeing this issue???

One thing I did do after the update was plug a USB in to view the HDR life of pi clip, and I noticed the same thing then, pic mode was greyed out. But, I thought that was normal for HDR to lock out some of the settings, so I didn't think anything of it. Could this have tweaked something and made my Netflix video mode totally locked?

I already re-booted again and I still can't change anything.

Thanks!
***UPDATE***

So after triple checking every menu and option, I finally went into the locked out picture setting while in Netflix and did a factory reset of the settings. This fixed my issue. Then I tried to replicate it, so I plugged my USB stick back in, watched an HDR clip, the pic settings were all locked up again (most settings and pic mode was blank with no ability to select). I backed out of the USB screens, and the TV went black and auto re-booted. The exact same thing happened to me the first time I watched this after the firmware update. I went back into Netflix and my picture mode was NOT locked again. I am kind of stumped as to why this happened. Also, here is a pic of the way the settings on the main adjustment screen look while watching the Life of Pi HDR clip on USB (and I confirmed digging deeper that these are the exact same settings that got "stuck" in all other App(Video) mode and locked me out. If anyone has any insight, I'd sure love to know why you think this happened. Pic below:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6616.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	332.3 KB
ID:	944434  

Last edited by Jbed27; 09-16-2015 at 06:41 PM.
post #4001 of 14307 Old 09-17-2015, 02:17 AM
Rabid 3-D Aficionado

Quoted: 735 Post(s)
Liked: 619
Quote:
If you go into the 3D menu you can change the glasses brightness. On default is on low. I have mine on medium and it's plenty bright. Is all you Eco settings off?
Are the 3D settings only available when not viewing a 3-D Blu-ray? I was under the impression that the 940C settings were locked in a default mode when watching a 3-D BD. Also, is anyone confirmed whether the 940C in fact displays 1080p resolution for left and right eye images? It seems so to my eyes but others have questioned whether it does.
post #4002 of 14307 Old 09-17-2015, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Hi i have the glasses set to high and eco is turned off.

I have a feeling this tv is very buggy and sometimes even tho a menu option is stating its in mode x y z, its not actually and needs a hard reset.

Because the 3D is just not bright enough considering its a flagship TV.
post #4003 of 14307 Old 09-17-2015, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pacalypsenow View Post
has anybody been able to change the auto display are feature mine wont let me and its stuck on +1 for the screen

Also Banding is really bad on mine

Hi when you say banding are you referring to the TV or the fine shading in the games "fog" effect. On my phone i can see really bad banding on the fog in your photo.

Im playing untill dawn and the banding in the shadows is aweful. The strange thing is im sure i did not have this banding issue for the first 2hurs of the game. Or once i noticed it, its so damn distracting. Ive tried change hdmi range on both tv and ps4 but cant fix it.
post #4004 of 14307 Old 09-17-2015, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Mamane View Post
so i did some comparisons with the eg9600 at best buy.

i connected the tv to my phone and played some netflix stuff, hd and 4k.

The x940c in my opinion has a much better picture. It is truly underestimated the significance "brightness" has in the quality of an image. But its not only the brightness that makes it better, its the color, the sound, motion.

All these things seemed to be superior in the x940c. Even dare i say it, the contrast, blacks. I know i know oled is supposed to have infinite blacks and contrast. I just didnt see the difference. black looked black to me on both sets. but not only that the black on the x940c, maybe cause of the glossy glass covering, looked black black or "inky" as ppl like to call it. There are still some things about the 75" size that i am having to get used to and realize will never be the same having come from a tightly clean smaller pixel 42" but slowly i am finding ways to fix those small flaws and make the sharpness comparable. but regardless the other enhancments this tv does to the pic that the 42" sam could never do are hard to go w/o not that i have had some time with. especially the color and brightness. i do watch alot of daytime tv and i love sunlight and to be able to have both is great.
pretty much the same experience i had in BB. i wanted to like the oled because the blacks were so good but there was something about it that made me gravitate towards the sony. the motion looked kind of weird and overall too "digital" for my taste. also even with the sony on vivid mode the colors seemed more natural than the lg. what really sealed the deal was watching a pacific rim blu ray on both tvs. i was not overly impressed with the upscaling and motion handling on the 9600 but the sony was clearly a step up from any blu ray display i have ever seen. even watched a standard def dvd of tron and that looked pretty damn good too lol.

fwiw my main point of reference at home is a 42" panasonic viera plasma.
Ken Ross and Seth Mamane like this.
post #4005 of 14307 Old 09-17-2015, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 16
post #4006 of 14307 Old 09-17-2015, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

How do you safely "eject" the USB? I haven't found anything in the menus.
post #4007 of 14307 Old 09-17-2015, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Does anyone have confirmation that the 940c will support the hdr aspect of the hdr movies sony announced?
post #4008 of 14307 Old 09-17-2015, 07:57 AM

CC, if you're not performing any activity with the USB drive, it's usually safe to eject it. I've never had any issues pulling the USB drive from the Sony at any time.
post #4009 of 14307 Old 09-17-2015, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
CC, if you're not performing any activity with the USB drive, it's usually safe to eject it. I've never had any issues pulling the USB drive from the Sony at any time.
Thanks. I pulled it yesterday, but when I plugged it into the computer it did a "fix" on the drive. The next time I turned it off and then removed the drive. I just couldn't find any way to safely eject it.
post #4010 of 14307 Old 09-17-2015, 08:10 AM

That 'repair' prompt you get when you plug a USB (or sometimes an SD card) into a computer, drives me nuts. There's no apparent reason why Windows needs to repair the drive. I've never seen an issue if I tell Windows not to repair it. It's always made me wonder what triggers that 'repair' request in the first place.
CCsoftball7 and brickyardz like this.
post #4011 of 14307 Old 09-17-2015, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I have been getting the same prompt recently with my USB drive. Apparently the most common reason is because the device was not properly unmounted and removed from Windows the last time you used it. Here's a link to an article with a more in-depth explanation.

http://www.howtogeek.com/184640/ask-...ould-i-let-it/
Ken Ross likes this.
post #4012 of 14307 Old 09-17-2015, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupell08 View Post
Does anyone have confirmation that the 940c will support the hdr aspect of the hdr movies sony announced?
Unfortunately, Sony has been quiet on the subject. While it seems insane that it wouldn't, it also would come as no surprise if it doesn't. Sony Electronics and Sony Home Video are mutually exclusive. Could be a left hand doesn't know what the right is doing.

Sony 77A9G / Marantz SR-7012 / Martin Logan Motion 60XT, 50XT, Motion 4, Motion FX / 2 x Rythmik FV15HP / AppleTV 4K / ShieldTV
post #4013 of 14307 Old 09-17-2015, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1291 Post(s)
Liked: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupell08 View Post
If you are referring to Dolby Vision than, no.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCsoftball7 View Post
How do you safely "eject" the USB? I haven't found anything in the menus.
Quote:
That 'repair' prompt you get when you plug a USB (or sometimes an SD card) into a computer, drives me nuts. There's no apparent reason why Windows needs to repair the drive. I've never seen an issue if I tell Windows not to repair it. It's always made me wonder what triggers that 'repair' request in the first place.
One of the reasons this happens is when you put the drive in the TV decides to scan it. Depending on how many files are on the drive this can take a very long time. While the scan is happening there is little to no feedback to tell you what is going on and if you pull the drive out while the scan is taking place you will get those errors.
post #4014 of 14307 Old 09-17-2015, 08:58 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6500 Post(s)
Liked: 6481
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pacalypsenow View Post
has anybody been able to change the auto display are feature mine wont let me and its stuck on +1 for the screen
Also Banding is really bad on mine
That exact screen shot right there would look bad on just about every TV out there.......
post #4015 of 14307 Old 09-17-2015, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Looking Better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_E View Post
I watched cable TV tonight and was impressed with the picture quality for cable. I checked the signal and it was 720p! I thought holly....! It seems as if the update improved up conversion especially 720p. Is anyone else noticing this?
I regularly watch Good Morning America (ABC) and I noticed a nice improvement after the update!
post #4016 of 14307 Old 09-17-2015, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Lightbulb

Everyone in this thread has been so informative that I not only felt comfortable with my 940c purchase but have absolutely loved the TV. There has not been one time, now after a few weeks, that I still don't turn it on and am simply amazed at the images.

So, as a small way to begin to payback, here is my cabling diagram for anyone who might have questions concerning a possible routing solution. This is as simple as I could make the attachments and it works stupendously.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Initial Cable Diagram.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	945674  
brickyardz likes this.
post #4017 of 14307 Old 09-17-2015, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV JJ View Post
Everyone in this thread has been so informative that I not only felt comfortable with my 940c purchase but have absolutely loved the TV. There has not been one time, now after a few weeks, that I still don't turn it on and am simply amazed at the images.

So, as a small way to begin to payback, here is my cabling diagram for anyone who might have questions concerning a possible routing solution. This is as simple as I could make the attachments and it works stupendously.
There is nothing going into your receiver except the the network cable?
post #4018 of 14307 Old 09-17-2015, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalto View Post
There is nothing going into your receiver except the the network cable?
True, and that is one of the most amazing discoveries I had. I expected originally to run everything through the AVR then to the TV. But - HDMI is a bidirectional medium and with CEC and ARC the TV sends all signals to the AVR flawlessly. The AVR-X4200W has connections for wireless/wired/and network so all of your media on the local network or Pandora, internet radio et. al. on the internet are available with the one network cable. There's 3D, advanced Dolby DTS, etc. all performing perfectly.
post #4019 of 14307 Old 09-17-2015, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV JJ View Post
True, and that is one of the most amazing discoveries I had. I expected originally to run everything through the AVR then to the TV. But - HDMI is a bidirectional medium and with CEC and ARC the TV sends all signals to the AVR flawlessly. The AVR-X4200W has connections for wireless/wired/and network so all of your media on the local network or Pandora, internet radio et. al. on the internet are available with the one network cable. There's 3D, advanced Dolby DTS, etc. all performing perfectly.
Just keep in mind you can't pass any of the HD or uncompressed audio formats that way. No Dobly TrueHD, DTS-HD, etc
post #4020 of 14307 Old 09-17-2015, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Yeah i am also very happy with the X940C.

When the UHDBluRay comes out and he also shows the HDR from them correctly then i am very very happy!
And not only from Amzon or any kind of Streaming thing :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
940C , hdr , Sony , X930C , X940C

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page