**Official** Sony X930C / X940C Owners Thread - Page 162 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7024Likes

post #4831 of 14440 Old 10-28-2015, 05:58 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6185
Im not assuming anything. It was a reply to your feeling a Sanus stand rated to 125lbs is an issue for a 123lb tv, all the while assuming Monoprice's 200lb rating is legit.

Whats funny to me is, you suggest a guy buy a different mount when the free one (designed by a company whose business is stands and mounts) he got is rated to hold his display. Also amusing you choose to use Best Buys spec (of all places) for the Sanus instead of actually using their website...

I gave facts, you gave FUD. Fact is, either mount will work, and he got the Sanus one for FREE (which you then tried to imply was a risk). IMO, as someone who has bought several Sanus Mounts and one Monoprice mount, I prefer Sanus. Sure, they cost more, but I think with a lot of HT gear, you get what you pay for. Main reason I use Blue Jeans Cable for my audio cables.

Finally, I think the Sanus mounts cable management is better and you can level adjust AFTER you mount. This is huge, especially if you do not get it perfect when you mount the bracket. Not sure if the MP mount allows leveling after it is mounted.
arftech, chunon and gerie like this.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
X800M2 / Dune HD Pro 4K
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / RP-500SA / FV15HP (5.1.2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4832 of 14440 Old 10-28-2015, 06:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I appreciate the replies guys, the free mount comes with free install also, so if it doesnt hold or has any issues it will be on them, not me, but I do appreciate all the input. Seeing as the mount is listed for the TV on the Sanus website I'm not going to sweat it.

So excited for the new screen, its going to be such a change from my Samsung 52a650. Cant wait to play some Witcher 3 at 4k. (Though the debate is long dead, I will say I'm one of the people who completely removed this TV from my list of options due to the lack of 4:4:4 at 4k/60hz, once that firmware update came out I was instantly back onboard.
gadgtfreek and gerie like this.
post #4833 of 14440 Old 10-28-2015, 06:10 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by azalin7 View Post
Been an AVS lurker for years and finally decided to register to contribute!

I got the 930C delivered for my parents yesterday and set it up for them and I'm definitely quite impressed with this set! For reference, I have a Pioneer Elite Kuro 151FD at home with a custom surround setup at my place so I'm not easily impressed.

Initial setup was a breeze and full update including install took probably around 45 minutes. Keep in mind my parents have basic internet - no lightning speed Fios or anything.

I played with the PQ and AQ settings for probably bout 4-5 hours last night (I left their house at 2:30 AM EST as I completely lost track of time having fun with this thing) without any template to work with as their seems to be no folks out there with any calibration settings for it yet. I used my Elite as a reference PQ and tried to mimic it as best as I could and what I got was quite impressive.

I ran Baraka (Ultra 8K dig) and Life of Pi and the PQ was great. Contrast seemed to very good and black levels were definitely the best I've seen from an LED set (I haven't gotten a chance to take at the 940C yet but I hear it's fairly difficult to see a discernable difference at first glance). No corner dimming noticed, no vertical banding, no ghosting. I got out of standard mode fairly quickly as I didn't like the oversaturated color look (although to be fair it really wasn't bad at all) and switched to Cinema Home which immediately gave it more of a plasma feel. For now I believe I've kept all advanced settings including xreality pro, contrast enhancing, etc at medium and got a picture that wasn't too far off my set when viewing Daredevil on Netflix, and both Blu-Rays. The NBA Finals though while looking good from a color, contrast standpoint but the image sharpness was a hair fuzzier than I would have liked it to be (could have been the Dish Network signal). SD also looked fairly good from the little I saw but didn't get a chance to see much of it just yet.

Audio quality from the speakers definitely seem to be louder and improved from the 900B and is aesthetically more pleasing as the speakers now lie midline in the side panel section as opposed to that awkward look last year where the speakers were right at the edge.

My question though for everyone is I had no option for Netflix 4K content and the 4K Youtube videos I attempted to watch just didn't quite look like 4K. Internet bandwidth related issues I presume?

I'll post more once I play around a bit more with it - The Dark Knight, The Fountain, Samsara, The Matrix, Avengers, and more all on the agenda for testing.
Hi azalin7

I have just taken delivery of a X930c in the UK and I'm struggling to get the picture 'just right'. Would you be able to post your calibration settings for me to try?
Plus if anyone else out there has good settings they can share I would be most grateful!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4834 of 14440 Old 10-28-2015, 06:11 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7522 Post(s)
Liked: 7555
post #4835 of 14440 Old 10-28-2015, 06:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoakira View Post
Hi azalin7

I have just taken delivery of a X930c in the UK and I'm struggling to get the picture 'just right'. Would you be able to post your calibration settings for me to try?
Plus if anyone else out there has good settings they can share I would be most grateful!
I would give the panel 40-50 hours of burn in before getting too caught up in PQ issues. Electronics do settle down and the picture should sharpen and the colors should get more accurate. Be patient. Regards. Ned.
C-Dub006 and LaserSeaBass like this.
post #4836 of 14440 Old 10-28-2015, 06:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post
They're ear plugs in case you want to be very quiet.
Ok maybe it's a stupid question but could I get serious answer.
post #4837 of 14440 Old 10-28-2015, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Not sure if the MP mount allows leveling after it is mounted.
it does, for anyone that is wondering
gadgtfreek likes this.
post #4838 of 14440 Old 10-28-2015, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoakira View Post
Hi azalin7

Try these two links as the first link uses the "Custom" setting and the second link uses both "Cinema Pro" (night viewing setting) and "Cinema Home" (day viewing setting). In my opinion, they're both good but I prefer the first link. Take them for a spin to see how effective they are for you.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post38415545

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post35319842

Let me add that the second link was primarily for a 940C but can be used for the 930C and it is really good.

Al

Oppo UDP-203, Anthem AVM50V 3D, Proceed Amp 3, B&K ST-125.2, Cary Audio 306/200, Apple TV 4K, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC Mk2 W Bridge2, Audeze LCD-2 F 2016, Mac Mini-Tidal HiFi/Roon, Apple iPad Pro/Roon Remote, Sony XBR65X930C, Sonus faber Luito Towers, Sonus faber Luito Monitors, Sonus faber Smart Center Channel, REL T2, Sony SWF-BR100W Wireless Subwoofer for 930C
post #4839 of 14440 Old 10-28-2015, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arftech View Post
Try these two links as the first link uses the "Custom" setting and the second link uses both "Cinema Pro" (night viewing setting) and "Cinema Home" (day viewing setting). In my opinion, they're both good but I prefer the first link. Take them for a spin to see how effective they are for you.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post38415545

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post35319842

Let me add that the second link was primarily for a 940C but can be used for the 930C and it is really good.

Al
Just wanna point out with those settings, if you use any higher or lower "Clearness" setting for black frame insertion it will change what you Brightness (backlight) setting has to be. Higher Clearness, more Brightness to equal same light output. Also same if you choose to use Motion Flow Clear or some other preset for Motion Flow. As BFI goes up from min, you need more light output from the backlight to equal this linked calibrations light output.

Using nighttime as an example, they have Clearness 1 and Brightness of 8. If you choose to leave Clearness at min, you can lower Brightness some.

Same with Gamma, a Gamma of -2 needs more light output than Gamma 0.

I also confirmed with Chad that for the guys who are not getting calibrations, Expert 1 is your Color Temp that offers a very good grayscale.

X800M2 / Dune HD Pro 4K

Last edited by gadgtfreek; 10-28-2015 at 07:33 AM.
post #4840 of 14440 Old 10-28-2015, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1901 Post(s)
Liked: 1307
Quote:
Im not assuming anything. It was a reply to your feeling a Sanus stand rated to 125lbs is an issue for a 123lb tv, all the while assuming Monoprice's 200lb rating is legit.

Whats funny to me is, you suggest a guy buy a different mount when the free one (designed by a company whose business is stands and mounts) he got is rated to hold his display. Also amusing you choose to use Best Buys spec (of all places) for the Sanus instead of actually using their website...

I gave facts, you gave FUD. Fact is, either mount will work, and he got the Sanus one for FREE (which you then tried to imply was a risk). IMO, as someone who has bought several Sanus Mounts and one Monoprice mount, I prefer Sanus. Sure, they cost more, but I think with a lot of HT gear, you get what you pay for. Main reason I use Blue Jeans Cable for my audio cables.

Finally, I think the Sanus mounts cable management is better and you can level adjust AFTER you mount. This is huge, especially if you do not get it perfect when you mount the bracket. Not sure if the MP mount allows leveling after it is mounted.
You need to chill.

Best Buy had the mount rated to 120 lbs. The TV weighs more than that. To me that's a risk. How was I to know the BB web site was off by 5 lbs? I never said anything about Sanus stands not being accurate or monoprice having better stands. You're the one who insinuated monoprice lies about their specs without anything to back up the claim.

Accusing me of spreading FUD is complete BS.
C-Dub006 and Pencreus like this.
post #4841 of 14440 Old 10-28-2015, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Just wanna point out with those settings, if you use any higher or lower "Clearness" setting for black frame insertion it will change what you Brightness (backlight) setting has to be. Higher Clearness, more Brightness to equal same light output. Also same if you choose to use Motion Flow Clear or some other preset for Motion Flow. As BFI goes up from min, you need more light output from the backlight to equal this linked calibrations light output.

Using nighttime as an example, they have Clearness 1 and Brightness of 8. If you choose to leave Clearness at min, you can lower Brightness some.

Same with Gamma, a Gamma of -2 needs more light output than Gamma 0.

I also confirmed with Chad that for the guys who are not getting calibrations, Expert 1 is your Color Temp that offers a very good grayscale.
Thanks man!

Al

Oppo UDP-203, Anthem AVM50V 3D, Proceed Amp 3, B&K ST-125.2, Cary Audio 306/200, Apple TV 4K, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC Mk2 W Bridge2, Audeze LCD-2 F 2016, Mac Mini-Tidal HiFi/Roon, Apple iPad Pro/Roon Remote, Sony XBR65X930C, Sonus faber Luito Towers, Sonus faber Luito Monitors, Sonus faber Smart Center Channel, REL T2, Sony SWF-BR100W Wireless Subwoofer for 930C
post #4842 of 14440 Old 10-28-2015, 07:41 AM

No problem. All these things interact, and many times folks wanna tinker!

One thing I like about the Sony's is, even though they do not have CMS adjustments it is very accurate from the factory. And with Expert 1 having good grayscale results, all you really need is a test disc to set Black Level and Contrast, adjust Brightness to what your eyes like, and bam! you are done! Pretty nice looking display even without a pro cal. From what I have read, Gamma of -1 or -2 is pretty much a good choice over the last couple of generations.
brickyardz likes this.

X800M2 / Dune HD Pro 4K
post #4843 of 14440 Old 10-28-2015, 09:52 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 View Post
I have been able to identify the uses for all the things that came with the TV with the exception of one item. Can anybody tell me, what the USB that's connected to a thin cable that is attached to what almost looks like ear buds is used for?
That is the IR Blaster.

You would use it to control a Set Top Box using the TV remote.

When you run the Initial Setup and you select the Set Top Box setup it will lead you through setting up your TV with the IR Blaster.
post #4844 of 14440 Old 10-28-2015, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Are there any members out there that are color blind? I can obviously distinguish some colors and many shades but only to an extent. My question is do you think that calibrating a tv would have benefit? I'm sure there might be some upside but would I only get maybe 10% or 20% of any real benefit that calibration typically provides. Thoughts??
post #4845 of 14440 Old 10-28-2015, 01:56 PM

IMO, knowing how well Sony does with color and how the grayscale is with color temp set to Expert 1, Id say save your $$$.

Id still get a test blu-ray and properly set contrast and black level, and then adjust the backlight (brightness) as bright as you require.
CCsoftball7 and RJinNYC like this.

X800M2 / Dune HD Pro 4K
post #4846 of 14440 Old 10-28-2015, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I just wanted to throw an observation out there: When using the Nvidia Shield, and putting up an absolute black screen, the screen appears as if it is turned off. Other sources, including the Android setup internal to the TV, do not do this for me- there is still a very small amount of light coming from the TV. I assume this is because the Shield is using 10bit color. (Or it could be RGB vs YCC)

I also noticed that when calibrating grayscale via the Shield even less of the grayscale adjustments work as expected.

My hunch is that it's possible to get an even better picture out of this set, and we will be seeing even better calibrations and/or firmware updates to release this potential in the future.
brickyardz likes this.

Last edited by Axel Olmos; 10-28-2015 at 03:37 PM. Reason: grammar
post #4847 of 14440 Old 10-28-2015, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400MHz MAN View Post
That is the IR Blaster.

You would use it to control a Set Top Box using the TV remote.

When you run the Initial Setup and you select the Set Top Box setup it will lead you through setting up your TV with the IR Blaster.

Thanks for that, That could be very useful especially when I am playing around right now with the picture settings it would be nice to control Direct TV set top box at the same time.
I had a strange thing happen I was fooling around with changing and switching inputs and some how I got a blank screen with a message no signal try another input I was positive that I set the TV on the correct input but no picture so I disconnected the power cord for about a minute and somehow I managed to get working. I have heard that doing power disconnect sometimes fixes some of these problems It almost seemed like it may have been stuck n the HDMI 3 input.
post #4848 of 14440 Old 10-28-2015, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 24
X940C Netflix Audio

Hey All,

Question for those who use an A/V Receiver with their 930/940Cs. When watching netflix and using my audio system, the audio skips a lot. The audio goes in and out very quickly so it sounds like skipping. If I switch the audio to TV speakers it works fine. When I reset the TV it works fine until a period of time passes until it starts again.

Anyone have any possible solutions to this problem? It is not my optical cable as it works fine for other sources. Something funky is going on with the exchange of netflix and my receiver. Thanks!
post #4849 of 14440 Old 10-28-2015, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel Olmos View Post
I just wanted to throw an observation out there: When using the Nvidia Shield, and putting up an absolute black screen, the screen appears as if it is turned off. Other sources, including the Android setup internal to the TV, do not do this for me- there is still a very small amount of light coming from the TV. I assume this is because the Shield is using 10bit color. (Or it could be RGB vs YCC)

I also noticed that when calibrating grayscale via the Shield even less of the grayscale adjustments work as expected.

My hunch is that it's possible to get an even better picture out of this set, and we will be seeing even better calibrations and/or firmware updates to release this potential in the future.
Are you referring to the 930C? If so, that would be extra pudding in the pie!

Al

post #4850 of 14440 Old 10-28-2015, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 606
Quote:
Are you referring to the 930C? If so, that would be extra pudding in the pie!

Al
He has the 940C
post #4851 of 14440 Old 10-29-2015, 04:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel Olmos View Post

It is turned off and does this with any source where the image has no light e.g. a black test pattern shown by a BD player or pattern generator. Many FALD sets including Samsungs do the same thing.
Ken Ross and brickyardz like this.
post #4852 of 14440 Old 10-29-2015, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Could somebody please check live colour while in game mode? When enabling it and going from low to high, does it overly saturate the image? I know in the UK we're a little behind with the software updates, I was hoping there might be a fix for it. Thanks
post #4853 of 14440 Old 10-29-2015, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Now that I have had this TV for a few days I have a few comments. Now let me first say that this is coming from someone who has had the pleasure of watching Pioneer's last generation TV, the Pioneer Kuro Elite 151FD.
First thing is the sound since I believe I dismissed it by commenting that I wasn't blown away. I listened to a couple of videos I got off Vevo and I was quite impressed with the sound. Not sure if Vevo uses a higher audio resolution. I also watched the voice from Direct TV and the sound was still very good but not as good as the Vevo video's. The most important thing I want to say, coming from a calibrated plasma, is how surprised I was of how good the picture was in just the out of box default picture mode " Standard" Once I got used to the Brightness it seemed that the colors were accurate mostly looking at the flesh tones which didn't seem to be pushed in any direction. Also this thing is a beast coming form a 60". I tried to post a picture but I was unsuccessful. I tried dragging the file from my Note 5 but it didn't seem to work.
Ken Ross and brickyardz like this.
post #4854 of 14440 Old 10-29-2015, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Now that I have had this TV for a few days I have a few comments. Now let me first say that this is coming from someone who has had the pleasure of watching Pioneer's last generation TV, the Pioneer Kuro Elite 151FD.
First thing is the sound since I believe I dismissed it by commenting that I wasn't blown away. I listened to a couple of videos I got off Vevo and I was quite impressed with the sound. Not sure if Vevo uses a higher audio resolution. I also watched the voice from Direct TV and the sound was still very good but not as good as the Vevo video's. The most important thing I want to say, coming from a calibrated plasma, is how surprised I was of how good the picture was in just the out of box default picture mode " Standard" Once I got used to the Brightness it seemed that the colors were accurate mostly looking at the flesh tones which didn't seem to be pushed in any direction. Also this thing is a beast coming form a 60". I tried to post a picture but I was unsuccessful. I tried dragging the file from my Note 5 but it didn't seem to work.
Do you have the 930 or 940?

Al

post #4855 of 14440 Old 10-29-2015, 07:34 AM

Well, second 930c is on the move, should be here around Wed.

:fingerscrossed
brickyardz, papaleo and arftech like this.

X800M2 / Dune HD Pro 4K
post #4856 of 14440 Old 10-29-2015, 07:41 AM

Quote:

Hope it all goes well.

Al
brickyardz and gadgtfreek like this.

post #4857 of 14440 Old 10-29-2015, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:

Good Luck!

Just received a message from Sony that my third x940c is on its way, and probably placed in two weeks....

Here also : fingerscrossed

JVC N7 (ISF) 4K/UHD HDR projector *Sony KD-75X9405C + TV Subwoofer SWF-BR100** Marantz AV8805 + MM8077**Synology DS1512+*WS-Spalluto MultiMasking 100" Projection screen* Monitor Audio Platinum PL300,PL100,PLC150 Ebony finsh + 4x Monitor Audio CP-CT380iDC * Main subwoofer JLaudio Fathom f113v2*Oppo BDP-205*Zidoo Z1000*Appel 4k*Neoo black Cat
Sold:Pioneer Kuro KRP-600M ISFccc

Last edited by papaleo; 10-29-2015 at 09:14 AM.
post #4858 of 14440 Old 10-29-2015, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Do you have the 930 or 940?

Al
I'm sorry failed to mention, I have the 940.
post #4859 of 14440 Old 10-29-2015, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
For speakers, they are Hi-Res. There's even a small sticker attached to the lower right corner of the TV. I noticed a difference as well over my old $500 surround sound system.
Yes, I think Standard does look nice for shows, sports, 4k video samples from YouTube, but for blu-ray movies, I didn't like the results (too saturated and overly bright) so I had to switch settings.
marcuslaw likes this.
post #4860 of 14440 Old 10-29-2015, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After some help,really not got knowledge and struggling with my TV
I use Netflix on the TV all the time and 4k and standard hd was amazing on the TV
All of a sudden in the last week it's so pixelely it is driving me crazy
Is there anything I can do to get back my awesome 4k Netflix
Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
940C , hdr , Sony , X930C , X940C

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page