**Official** Sony X930C / X940C Owners Thread - Page 171 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7034Likes

post #5101 of 14462 Old 11-09-2015, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Tom, I play all of my 4K edited projects via a USB drive and they all play perfectly. So no issues there.

Your new file plays beautifully with no issue and HDR settings do indeed kick in automatically. Encoding 4:2:0 was the key. Unlike the Sony's HDMI ports which can be 'extended' to accept 4K 10bit content, there is no such ability on the USB ports.

Thanks for the extra effort.
Can you pleas provide a link to the new file
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5102 of 14462 Old 11-09-2015, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 7464 Post(s)
Liked: 8351
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewpana View Post
Can you pleas provide a link to the new file
Here ya go, courtesy of Tom:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7w...ew?usp=sharing
andrewpana likes this.
post #5103 of 14462 Old 11-09-2015, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roper View Post
Thanks for your help in getting this issue solved! The new file is still 10 bit encoded, only change was to take the color sub-sampling to 4:2:0 as you noted, so good news the Sony is happy with 10 bit 4k content via USB.

Hopefully alexanderg823 gets to try this out on his LG EF9500 and that that is solved on that display as well.

All: Here is the download link to the new file that Ken tested via private mail.
Good info Tom, thanks again for your help. Sony owners should take note that 4K 10 bit is OK via USB. We learn something new every day.
brickyardz and ray0414 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5104 of 14462 Old 11-09-2015, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

This works for me as well. One thing I am noting with all of the HDR samples I've viewed on my 940C - I need to go to "Display"->"Video"->"Expand" whenever I play one of these clips. Otherwise, I get audio but no video. Anyone else seeing this as well? Is there a setting somewhere so I don't need to do this every time?
post #5105 of 14462 Old 11-09-2015, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Argh!!!!! I just realized I put the wrong audio track on the new video!! Oh nooo..Ack

Audio stops before video is finished Boo!!

Just when I thought it was safe!

Will remake again. Sorry folks. Thanks for your patience.
post #5106 of 14462 Old 11-09-2015, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarh33l View Post
This works for me as well. One thing I am noting with all of the HDR samples I've viewed on my 940C - I need to go to "Display"->"Video"->"Expand" whenever I play one of these clips. Otherwise, I get audio but no video. Anyone else seeing this as well? Is there a setting somewhere so I don't need to do this every time?
I haven't noticed that with mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roper View Post
Argh!!!!! I just realized I put the wrong audio track on the new video!! Oh nooo..Ack

Audio stops before video is finished Boo!!

Just when I thought it was safe!

Will remake again. Sorry folks. Thanks for your patience.
I heard that Tom, but since it was the video we were concentrating on, I didn't think it was important enough to mention.
post #5107 of 14462 Old 11-09-2015, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 24
WOAH!

Just turned my TV on and it worked fine with the TiVO. I then went to YouTube and everything sounded MUFFLED!

Terrible blurry voices and I was afraid the speakers broke.

I had to reset the TV and then when it came back on the volume said headphones or something? So nothing came out.

I had to go to settings and turn the output from headphones (which I've never plugged in) to subwoofer.

Has this happened to anyone else before?
post #5108 of 14462 Old 11-10-2015, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 211
I've been playing around with Reality Creation. It certainly is an interesting feature. It seems if you push the noise filtering up past 30, you start getting a bit of what people used to refer to as the soap opera effect but in a pretty controlled way. I currently have it set at 35 so as to get a feel for how I like or don't like the effect. Much less than a 30 setting isn't that noticeable. I kind of like it, does give you a sense of some dimensionality, a bit more like you are viewing the image through a window. It can definitely look a bit spooky at times but I think because you get the feeling that there is someone inside your panel! Not quite sure what pushing the resolution setting up does, maybe gives you a crisper picture but with some more judder on certain material. I know that the purists often turn off most of the video processing, but I do find that playing around with the controls is fun and can get a better image for most programming. Thanks. Regards. Ned.
brickyardz, C-Dub006 and marcuslaw like this.
post #5109 of 14462 Old 11-10-2015, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1902 Post(s)
Liked: 1307
Quote:
It was up on Netflix as part of my normal package. So no extra cost.
Great. I missed the Netflix part in the original post. I was thinking it was Amazon.
post #5110 of 14462 Old 11-10-2015, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Any word on an Amazon update? Tired of no surround sound.
FlexLinear likes this.
post #5111 of 14462 Old 11-10-2015, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by papaleo View Post
So, tomorrow they will come for the third time the x940c exchange for a new one, hoping that this time a good one.
Three time's the charm, they say!
Fingers cross,that all pixels now working fine...������
'Fingers cross' does'nt help...

Also this x940c has 2 dead pixels,they are small, but they're there!
This is not normal?
This is the third x940c in a row which is not 100% !!
I'm now done with it....this is quit a disapointment

Am i such a critical Viewer, or are there owners who don't notice that there are one or maybe more pixels in their screen that doesn't quite work properly?

Because I'm going now almost believe that there is in every x940c 1 or more dead ore stuck pixels.....

Edit;
It is that the x940c have a stunning picture, otherwise I would have thrown the towel in the ring,a long time ago.

JVC N7 (ISF) 4K/UHD HDR projector *Sony KD-75X9405C + TV Subwoofer SWF-BR100** Lyngdorf MP-60+NAD M22.2/M27**Synology DS1512+/DS218+*WS-Spalluto MultiMasking 100" Projection screen* Monitor Audio Platinum PL300,PL100,PLC150 Ebony finsh + 4x Monitor Audio CP-CT380iDC * Main subwoofer JLaudio Fathom f113v2*Oppo BDP-205*Zidoo Z1000*Appel 4k*Neoo black Cat
Sold:Pioneer Kuro KRP-600M ISFccc...,Marantz AV8805/M8077/M7055

Last edited by papaleo; 11-10-2015 at 09:09 AM.
post #5112 of 14462 Old 11-10-2015, 10:58 AM

Does anyone know how to test internet speeds on this TV? Is there a particular App?
post #5113 of 14462 Old 11-10-2015, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 606
Internet speed test

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoejohndoes View Post
Does anyone know how to test internet speeds on this TV? Is there a particular App?
You can check this out.
http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-th...reaming-speed/
post #5114 of 14462 Old 11-10-2015, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 17
how do you browse the internet...where is the app or what is the app to do that...I'm a dinosaur and can't figure this out
post #5115 of 14462 Old 11-10-2015, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronan View Post
how do you browse the internet...where is the app or what is the app to do that...I'm a dinosaur and can't figure this out
post #5116 of 14462 Old 11-10-2015, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1704 Post(s)
Liked: 1304
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoejohndoes View Post
I'm not sure there is a way to do it. I was wondering the same thing, but my apps like Netflix start almost immediately (no percentage while buffering) since my TWC upgraded a few days ago. Speedtest.net shows my download speed at 350 Mbps.
brickyardz likes this.
post #5117 of 14462 Old 11-10-2015, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

This is not normal?

Am i such a critical Viewer, or are there owners who don't notice that there are one or maybe more pixels in their screen that doesn't quite work properly?

Because I'm going now almost believe that there is in every x940c 1 or more dead ore stuck pixels.....

Edit;
It is that the x940c have a stunning picture, otherwise I would have thrown the towel in the ring,a long time ago.
Man, that sucks. Sorry to hear. Every person who owns one these class TVs deserves no dead pixels, clouding or banding.
post #5118 of 14462 Old 11-10-2015, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Just an update,

The 4k HDR demo file has been fixed. Click the download link below.

Best,
Tom
brickyardz, C-Dub006 and ray0414 like this.
post #5119 of 14462 Old 11-10-2015, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:

This is not normal?

Edit;

Sorry to here of your misfortune. My Pioneer Kuro plasma had a small cluster of dead or stuck pixels. I kept checking to see if they got unstuck but they never did. I finally just stopped looking. Obviously I wound up keeping it and still have it but it's now in the Master Bedroom. I guess I was so enamored with the picture and I came to the realization that I couldn't detect the dead pixels with my naked eye finally overcame the fact that you know it's there. I have probably another 15 days to decide whether to keep it or not. At this point I don't see returning it, partly because it was a little bit of an ordeal to get it setup, but mostly after playing around with the settings the picture started to grow on me once I got used to the brightness compared to my plasma. However this unit is not without it's faults. I had it shut off on me for no reason at all when I was watching Transparent from Amazon Instant Video. Also one of my inputs stopped working and had to reboot the TV to fix. There has been a few other software quirks. I haven't actually looked really for dead pixels yet by putting up a white screen, but I haven't seen any in the large white scenes that I have viewed and I sit pretty close.
post #5120 of 14462 Old 11-10-2015, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 320
^ IMO if you can't see the dead pixels from your normal seating distance don't worry about it. Looking for perfection in a TV, even an expensive one, is like looking for perfection in a woman, your not going to find it and the TV costs a lot less!
post #5121 of 14462 Old 11-10-2015, 01:43 PM

Quote:

This is not normal?

Edit;
You may not want to hear this, but yes, you are overly critical IMO. No other 940c owner has ever had the experience you've had on this thread.

It is highly unlikely that anyone can see a stuck or dead pixel on a UHD TV from a typical viewing distance...unless you're Superman. Heck, I might even have a stuck or dead pixel, but I have never examined any of my displays with my nose pressed up against the screen. If that was the case I would never have kept any of the plasmas I've owned because of dithering. That issue is obvious when you're on top of a plasma, but at viewing distance it can rarely be seen.

I'm not being critical of you, but you asked for an opinion and I'm giving you mine. Over the years it's been easy for me to see who will never be satisfied with their displays, since those folks swap display after display after display. I'm sorry, but there is simply no such thing as perfection. If the picture looks great to me at typical viewing distances, that's all that matters to me. One, two or three dead/stuck pixels I can't see from my couch? I don't care.
post #5122 of 14462 Old 11-10-2015, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger View Post
^ IMO if you can't see the dead pixels from your normal seating distance don't worry about it. Looking for perfection in a TV, even an expensive one, is like looking for perfection in a woman, your not going to find it and the TV costs a lot less!
LOL yes you're right.

Quote:
You may not want to hear this, but yes, you are overly critical IMO. No other 940c owner has ever had the experience you've had on this thread.

It is highly unlikely that anyone can see a stuck or dead pixel on a UHD TV from a typical viewing distance...unless you're Superman. Heck, I might even have a stuck or dead pixel, but I have never examined any of my displays with my nose pressed up against the screen. If that was the case I would never have kept any of the plasmas I've owned because of dithering. That issue is obvious when you're on top of a plasma, but at viewing distance it can rarely be seen.

I'm not being critical of you, but you asked for an opinion and I'm giving you mine. Over the years it's been easy for me to see who will never be satisfied with their displays, since those folks swap display after display after display. I'm sorry, but there is simply no such thing as perfection. If the picture looks great to me at typical viewing distances, that's all that matters to me. One, two or three dead/stuck pixels I can't see from my couch? I don't care.
Ok maybe you're right and maybe I am too critical.

But if you have bought a 12 cylinder Ferrari, and there are working only 11 cilinders,will you leave it by that,ore will you that they fix it?
Because i think you do'nt notice,and with 11 cillinders it brings you also from point A to point B.

I am awhere,i am (very) definitely a perfectionist, but I thought that I had right to speak when there are dead pixels in one of the most expensive TVs at this time.

Edit;
I therefore believe that I have to go accept the dead pixels in a very expensive tv.
It is against my way of thinking, fortunately I love the brilliant image quality otherwise I sure no accepted.

JVC N7 (ISF) 4K/UHD HDR projector *Sony KD-75X9405C + TV Subwoofer SWF-BR100** Lyngdorf MP-60+NAD M22.2/M27**Synology DS1512+/DS218+*WS-Spalluto MultiMasking 100" Projection screen* Monitor Audio Platinum PL300,PL100,PLC150 Ebony finsh + 4x Monitor Audio CP-CT380iDC * Main subwoofer JLaudio Fathom f113v2*Oppo BDP-205*Zidoo Z1000*Appel 4k*Neoo black Cat
Sold:Pioneer Kuro KRP-600M ISFccc...,Marantz AV8805/M8077/M7055

Last edited by papaleo; 11-10-2015 at 03:02 PM.
post #5123 of 14462 Old 11-10-2015, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
LOL yes you're right.

Ok maybe you're right and maybe I am too critical.

But if you have bought a 12 cylinder Ferrari, and there are working only 11 cilinders,will you leave it by that,ore will you that they fix it?
Because i think you do'nt notice,and with 11 cillinders it brings you also from point A to point B.

I am awhere,i am (very) definitely a perfectionist, but I thought that I had right to speak when there are dead pixels in one of the most expensive TVs at this time.
But a 4K panel has like 8 million pixels! So the analogy to a 12 cylinder car with 1 cylinder out is a reach. As Aaron Rogers would say, just relax. Regards. Ned.
post #5124 of 14462 Old 11-10-2015, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I don't think you are being too critical. I don't think there is anyone on this thread who has dead pixels on their brand new 940 or 930 and has decided to keep it. I don't have any dead pixels on my 930 and if I did, I would exchange it. If I kept having the same trouble as you, I would probably switch brands or wait until the new models come out next year. No offense intended to anyone, it's just what I think I would do. It's got to be extremely frustrating for you. Hope you get resolution soon.
papaleo likes this.
post #5125 of 14462 Old 11-10-2015, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngerstman View Post
But a 4K panel has like 8 million pixels! So the analogy to a 12 cylinder car with 1 cylinder out is a reach. As Aaron Rogers would say, just relax. Regards. Ned.
Actually there are 24 million pixels. You have to remember each pixel has a R/G/B sub pixel.
post #5126 of 14462 Old 11-10-2015, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked: 722
Quote:

This is not normal?

Edit;

That sucks but there's no such thing as a perfect set. If you go looking hard enough I'm sure you will find something. If you can't see the dead pixels from your seated distance and the tv is good besides the pixels I would keep it. I've tried the return game so many times over the years and you can always find something if you look for it.
dsinger, brickyardz and gerie like this.
post #5127 of 14462 Old 11-10-2015, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlexLinear View Post
I don't think you are being too critical. I don't think there is anyone on this thread who has dead pixels on their brand new 940 or 930 and has decided to keep it. I don't have any dead pixels on my 930 and if I did, I would exchange it. If I kept having the same trouble as you, I would probably switch brands or wait until the new models come out next year. No offense intended to anyone, it's just what I think I would do. It's got to be extremely frustrating for you. Hope you get resolution soon.
I went through 3 x900a, 2 950b and 2 940c and they all had a couple dead pixels. I haven't seen any on the third 940c but I'm not going to start looking for them now.
brickyardz likes this.
post #5128 of 14462 Old 11-10-2015, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Have there been any other issues mentioned on the 940C besides stuck pixels? I do not think I have heard anything else on here besides that.
post #5129 of 14462 Old 11-10-2015, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickyardz View Post
This doesn't work on this TV. I don't think there's a way to browse the web.
post #5130 of 14462 Old 11-10-2015, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Do all of the Sony 900 series have the wide stand at the bottom? Some pictures show the stand feet in the middle but most show them at the edges. This is an issue for me because my stand is not as wide as the TV. Maybe the feet are adjustable?

Thanks.

Clerk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
940C , hdr , Sony , X930C , X940C

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page