**Official** Sony X930C / X940C Owners Thread - Page 174 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7034Likes

post #5191 of 14458 Old 11-13-2015, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
Im pretty sure you mis-interpreted what it says. Unless u can copy and paste something I missed.

Maybe i really understood something wrong.

But i read this there:

Further, it said HDR content from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment would stream to the TV via Amazon Video. But the picture wasn't entirely clear. For example, a journalist asked if the TVs would support HDR content encoded using Dolby Vision — by far the most ballyhooed new HDR system (and one that's already supported by TVs from Vizio). The answer was no.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5192 of 14458 Old 11-13-2015, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Does anyone have YouTube Pair set up on the TV?

I cant link my laptop browser (chrome) whilst in YouTube to pair with the TV as there is nowhere to get the pair code on the YouTube app settings.

If anyone knows i'd really appreciate it
post #5193 of 14458 Old 11-13-2015, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Quoted: 12883 Post(s)
Liked: 12257
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeraZoR View Post
Maybe i really understood something wrong.

But i read this there:

Further, it said HDR content from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment would stream to the TV via Amazon Video. But the picture wasn't entirely clear. For example, a journalist asked if the TVs would support HDR content encoded using Dolby Vision — by far the most ballyhooed new HDR system (and one that's already supported by TVs from Vizio). The answer was no.

Yea pretty sure your misunderstanding what they are saying though I can see how based on how they worded it. The 940c is fully smpte hdr capable, but it'll never do dolby vision.
Ken Ross and brickyardz like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5194 of 14458 Old 11-13-2015, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Can anyone please post some other post in this thread with recommended settings? I have the 930c.

Also - Does HDR work if I have dimming set to Medium?

Last edited by johndoejohndoes; 11-13-2015 at 02:55 PM.
post #5195 of 14458 Old 11-13-2015, 06:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Yea pretty sure your misunderstanding what they are saying though I can see how based on how they worded it. The 940c is fully smpte hdr capable, but it'll never do dolby vision.
I think he was understanding it the same way I am; they pushed the update that gives HDR streaming only, not via HDMI. I am considering the 940c but in researching the purchase all the information I can find only says HDR is available via streaming not HDMI, once we have devices that can send it over HDMI. Is that correct?
post #5196 of 14458 Old 11-13-2015, 06:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
I think he was understanding it the same way I am; they pushed the update that gives HDR streaming only, not via HDMI. I am considering the 940c but in researching the purchase all the information I can find only says HDR is available via streaming not HDMI, once we have devices that can send it over HDMI. Is that correct?
post #5197 of 14458 Old 11-13-2015, 06:50 PM

Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Quoted: 12883 Post(s)
Liked: 12257
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Gamer View Post

The hdmi 2.0a update for hdmi won't come until it's needed, currently all hdr tvs are streaming only. The sony will fully support regular hdr, just not dolby vision.

The article was just discussing current sony hdr content, (not anything permanent or how it will handle hdr in the future.), and currently streaming is the only way to get that content.
brickyardz likes this.

82Q90R*75Q9FN(RIP)*55C8OLED*Galaxy Note10+*Ub820 fed into Oppo 203*XB1X*4k DenonX4200

MASTER LIST OF HDR CONTENT THREAD HERE, UPDATED OFTEN
post #5198 of 14458 Old 11-13-2015, 07:46 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 7459 Post(s)
Liked: 8346
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Gamer View Post
Nope, that's not correct. Tom Roper just sent us a link to an HDR project he shot. I downloaded it to a USB drive and it played perfectly, kicking in the HDR settings. If it did that via USB, it will surely do it via HDMI.

The clips were quite impressive.
post #5199 of 14458 Old 11-14-2015, 12:59 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Are there any settings to reduce / remove motion blur / ghosting on the 940c.

I only notice it slightly while panning the camera in first person video games.
post #5200 of 14458 Old 11-15-2015, 01:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi guys,

I was wondering if any of you had issues with your TV? Mine has 2 brighter (than the rest of the picture) bars running down the left and right edge of the screen. It is noticeable mainly in movies and especially games.

Also have any of you had luck updating this TV from a USB? I have followed the instructions on the Sony website and I cannot get it to work.

Thanks
Spotted
post #5201 of 14458 Old 11-15-2015, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Nope, that's not correct. Tom Roper just sent us a link to an HDR project he shot. I downloaded it to a USB drive and it played perfectly, kicking in the HDR settings. If it did that via USB, it will surely do it via HDMI.

The clips were quite impressive.
Is there any setting for HDR contents we can go ahead and change HDR brightness, black levels contrast etc.
Seems like i have to adjust HDR settings some how.
Anything you might post how we bring setting numbers to where?
Thanks
post #5202 of 14458 Old 11-15-2015, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Motion Blur

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupell08 View Post

I was having an issue and several suggestions from this group were helpful:
1. Content quality is key. Now that my set is working pretty well, I can better appreciate that not all TV channels are equal. Are you sure of the quality of the signal from your game machine?
2. Turn off all the motion processing in the picture adjustments on the set to see if that makes a difference.
3. Is the signal running through an AV receiver? I have seen suggestions that some receivers, even when in "Through" mode (no 4K upscaling), will still impact the signal.
brickyardz likes this.
post #5203 of 14458 Old 11-15-2015, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobrien1 View Post
I was having an issue and several suggestions from this group were helpful:
1. Content quality is key. Now that my set is working pretty well, I can better appreciate that not all TV channels are equal. Are you sure of the quality of the signal from your game machine?
2. Turn off all the motion processing in the picture adjustments on the set to see if that makes a difference.
3. Is the signal running through an AV receiver? I have seen suggestions that some receivers, even when in "Through" mode (no 4K upscaling), will still impact the signal.
Thanks for the reply,,

It's only the motion blur when panning the camera in video games that I notice it. My source is a pc that runs the games [email protected]

I also underatand that all lcd displays have some degree of motion blur and I appreciate how low it is on the 940c.

I found that putting the clearness slider to maximum completely removes all motion blur in the games I play.

I'm wondering if there's another way to at least reduce motion blur instead of using the clearness slider due to the fact that it causes a slight flicker and much darker picture.
post #5204 of 14458 Old 11-15-2015, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6194
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoejohndoes View Post
Can anyone please post some other post in this thread with recommended settings? I have the 930c.

Also - Does HDR work if I have dimming set to Medium?
I think it should fine. My concern is how it will do with MotionFlow set to Clear since it loses some light output.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
X800M2 / Dune HD Pro 4K
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / RP-500SA / FV15HP (5.1.2)
post #5205 of 14458 Old 11-15-2015, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Hey guys, I had my X930C delivered yesterday, applied the shootout settings and am very impressed with the picture quality! The night time mode may need some tweaking though as it seemed a bit too dark during John Wick on bluray. Really incredible blacks though.

I have noticed an issue when watching 3D blurays from either my PS4 or Xbox One though. The notification saying "Screen Format: Full" pops up every 30 seconds in the bottom left corner even if the film is paused, which has made 3D films unwatchable for me. Has anyone else had this problem and resolved it? I tried disabling the Auto Wide mode in display settings but the problem still persists.

Also, should I be enabling full dynamic range and deep colour on my devices, does the TV support these functions?

Thanks for any help.
post #5206 of 14458 Old 11-15-2015, 04:47 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 7459 Post(s)
Liked: 8346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salacak View Post
Is there any setting for HDR contents we can go ahead and change HDR brightness, black levels contrast etc.
Seems like i have to adjust HDR settings some how.
Anything you might post how we bring setting numbers to where?
Thanks
Part of the issue with HDR is that we have no settings standards as we do SDR.

Performing an ISF calibration for SDR content is done against a known set of criteria. So at this point, for HDR, just 'adjust to your taste'.
post #5207 of 14458 Old 11-15-2015, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupell08 View Post

Two ways:

If you are using game mode you'll only have the clearness setting in the motion settings to work with, turn it up to its 2nd highest setting (the highest will cause flickering). This is black frame insertion and will do wonders for motion blur.

I personally hate game mode as it disables too many things that are needed for the picture.

In standard mode, use the clear setting under motion settings, or use custom and set smoothness (frame insertion) and cleanses (black frame insertion) at there higher settings.

This 2nd way will add input lag, most games I play don't rely heavily on twitch reactions.
post #5208 of 14458 Old 11-16-2015, 05:39 AM

Well, when swapping from Dish to blu-ray last night the 930 screen went blank other than being able to pull up the display banner. Swapped back to Dish, cycled the tv power, the Denon and the DVR, nothing.

Unplugged the 930 and all was well. Ive also had one instance where I went into the home menu and settings, to check settings, and when I came out the auto dimming stopped working (bars were glowing). Power cycling fixed that. Not sure if it is the android tv part of it or something else, but my only real gripe so far is the SW has some bugs.

Chad will be in around 1400 today, Ill post notes and charts tonight.
brickyardz, frapso and GOBAYS like this.

X800M2 / Dune HD Pro 4K
post #5209 of 14458 Old 11-16-2015, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagusas View Post
Two ways:

If you are using game mode you'll only have the clearness setting in the motion settings to work with, turn it up to its 2nd highest setting (the highest will cause flickering). This is black frame insertion and will do wonders for motion blur.

I personally hate game mode as it disables too many things that are needed for the picture.

In standard mode, use the clear setting under motion settings, or use custom and set smoothness (frame insertion) and cleanses (black frame insertion) at there higher settings.

This 2nd way will add input lag, most games I play don't rely heavily on twitch reactions.
Cheers for this, ive been looking at some tweaks for game mode. Do you have any tips for colour banding? I have noticed this a fair bit with my ps4. Not sure if its due to game mode or whether its the ps4's fault
post #5210 of 14458 Old 11-16-2015, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizob View Post
Hey guys, I had my X930C delivered yesterday, applied the shootout settings and am very impressed with the picture quality! The night time mode may need some tweaking though as it seemed a bit too dark during John Wick on bluray. Really incredible blacks though.

I have noticed an issue when watching 3D blurays from either my PS4 or Xbox One though. The notification saying "Screen Format: Full" pops up every 30 seconds in the bottom left corner even if the film is paused, which has made 3D films unwatchable for me. Has anyone else had this problem and resolved it? I tried disabling the Auto Wide mode in display settings but the problem still persists.

Also, should I be enabling full dynamic range and deep colour on my devices, does the TV support these functions?

Thanks for any help.
How is your PS4/X1 connected to your TV? It could be the cable. Maybe try a different HDMI input?
post #5211 of 14458 Old 11-16-2015, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Well, when swapping from Dish to blu-ray last night the 930 screen went blank other than being able to pull up the display banner. Swapped back to Dish, cycled the tv power, the Denon and the DVR, nothing.

Unplugged the 930 and all was well. Ive also had one instance where I went into the home menu and settings, to check settings, and when I came out the auto dimming stopped working (bars were glowing). Power cycling fixed that. Not sure if it is the android tv part of it or something else, but my only real gripe so far is the SW has some bugs.

Chad will be in around 1400 today, Ill post notes and charts tonight.
I agree there does seem to be some quirky S/W issues going on with my set as well. I heard from Sony that there's another firmware update coming down the pike, related to the HDMI inputs but gave no other details. I am interested in what Chad has to say and am looking forward to seeing him also in a couple of months.
brickyardz likes this.
post #5212 of 14458 Old 11-16-2015, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 31
hi,

Since 3 weeks i have an xbr65x930c and it' works perfectly
post #5213 of 14458 Old 11-16-2015, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserSeaBass View Post
How is your PS4/X1 connected to your TV? It could be the cable. Maybe try a different HDMI input?
Everything is connected via HDMI to my Denon X2000 receiver, which is connected to the TV via a single HDMI cable. I have tried using my PS3 now as well, and while I don't get the issue with the notification popping up, I have discovered that Dolby Atmos/True HD signals are down-converted to plain old Dolby Digital when viewing 3D content. I can't win!
post #5214 of 14458 Old 11-16-2015, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 View Post
I agree there does seem to be some quirky S/W issues going on with my set as well. I heard from Sony that there's another firmware update coming down the pike, related to the HDMI inputs but gave no other details. I am interested in what Chad has to say and am looking forward to seeing him also in a couple of months.
We are in the middle of it now. The display does not like fast menu movements, especially when you are in grayscale adjustments.

Have power cycled over 10 times now due to freezing, and had to pull the plug once. Evidently this is not abnormal...
GOBAYS likes this.

X800M2 / Dune HD Pro 4K
post #5215 of 14458 Old 11-16-2015, 05:03 PM

Notes from cal:
  • Expert 1, as you will see was warm and green
  • With MotionFlow Clear, and max Brightness, best it would do is 35fL (Contrast at 94 properly set). I opted to cal for True Cinema because it would hit 100fL which works a lot better if I want to try HDR. True Cinema or MotionFlow off, with Brightness at min was about 28 fL's. As found, which was Clear and Brightness 40, was only 30fL's.
  • Found Sharpness of 50, Contrast of 94 and Black Level of 49 to be ideal. Brightness of 5 with True Cinema, Gamma -2 and Contrast 94 was 35fL's.
  • Gamma -2, as you can see, was a pretty flat 2.4 gamma. To my eyes before the cal, -1 was OK, 0 is not good at all.
  • 10pt adjustment of grayscale was wonky with auto dimming on, so Chad calibrated with it off, and then ran the following charts with it on Auto Dim High and let it fall where it may. It fell very good. So calibrating with it off to get easier use of the 10pt did not affect cal with Auto Dim turned back on.
  • Using some test patterns, he could not find that Auto Dim High caused issues with a black level pattern vs Medium.
  • He recently did an 850C, where he cal'd it and then updated it with the new FW. He did confirm it reset some of the cal settings, but when he put the recorded cal settings back in, the results were the same. So, good news is even though a FW update may reset some cal settings, if you write them down before, you should be able to input them again with no worries.

Before and After results
Before was Cinema Pro, Clear Motion Flow, Expert 1 Color temp, Contrast 90, Brightness 40, Black Level 50, Color 50 and Hue 0

Grayscale

Color Temp

Grayscale dE

Gamma

Gamut

Color Checker

X800M2 / Dune HD Pro 4K
post #5216 of 14458 Old 11-16-2015, 05:41 PM

One thing I am gonna do is bump up the frame creation a little at a time. I want to get the motion rez up a bit, but not too soapy and the black frame insertion setting is out. So I will be trying Custom Motion Flow.

X800M2 / Dune HD Pro 4K
post #5217 of 14458 Old 11-16-2015, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Any chance you could post your cal settings?
post #5218 of 14458 Old 11-16-2015, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 36
It was hard for me to believe Sony stuck in 10/100 NIC as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagusas View Post
9. Anyone notice the wired ethernet is only 10/100, not 10/100/1000? I was shocked to see it was only connecting at 100mb, checked my networked, tried a different device that connected at 1000mb, everything was fine, very odd sony would limit the network adapter on this set.
I originally tried using an Andriod app to verify the hardware used for the NIC but never could get the data to prove what's really there. I have the 930C and the best I could do was have it auto-negotiate 100 with two GBE switches, so for the moment, we either have to believe the driver is only wanting to negotiate 100, or the NIC tops out at 100.

Unlike most others in this forum, I have yet to use USB for playing the great video folks have posted. I just copy the file to my file server and then view it using the "ES File Explorer" app. I have several video players downloaded, but the built-in one seems to do the job very well. In all cases, I never get any streaming issues, so I guess you could say I have yet to drive it with anything that would exceed 100mb/s.

I haven't tested wireless as I only have a 2.4 network available, and although it's very close to the TV and conceivably could top 100mb/s, the LAN connection to it is only 10/100 so I'm stuck with 100 until someone reports needing higher speeds and have found a way to achieve it.
post #5219 of 14458 Old 11-17-2015, 04:53 AM

Doing some tinkering last night with Spears and Munsil 2 24p scrolling patterns, it seems Clearness 3 or 4 is pretty good and helps (5 is max). I am going to try 0-4 out tonight on the Dark Knight intro. In the first chapter when you are flying toward the building they shoot the window out of, it is a pretty good stress test.

Chad did state, using the Dark Knight scene as well, that this display did a lot better than most LCD's with that scene in True Cinema.
brickyardz likes this.

X800M2 / Dune HD Pro 4K

Last edited by gadgtfreek; 11-17-2015 at 04:58 AM.
post #5220 of 14458 Old 11-17-2015, 05:30 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 24
If your wanting a 940c, the retail price is dropping 1k at most retailers starting on the 23rd. $5,999
MCaugusto, brickyardz and iatacs19 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
940C , hdr , Sony , X930C , X940C

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page