**Official** Sony X930C / X940C Owners Thread - Page 185 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7015Likes

post #5521 of 14415 Old 11-27-2015, 07:20 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie Harb View Post
Thank you. Yeah..i am so curious about the 2016 models. At the end of the day, I'm impatient which is not healthy for my bank account. I also was not completely satisfied with everyday viewing of my 850 B (although gaming / 4k look fantastic...everything else from cable (fios) looked not as crisp/bright as i wanted it to be (also note: I never professionally calibrated, so that could be on me).

so yesterday I executed the following:
- Sold my XBR 65" 850B for $1150
- Ordered 940C for $4495 (my friend at Sony got me a family discount)
- Ordered STRDN1060 (Sony Reciver) for $269 (my friend at Sony got me a family discount)

Feel like I got a good deal....

But you're right...2016 sets are looming........

Freddie
You got a great deal! Congrats! At the end of the day, you only live once and it goes fast, so enjoy your set. I think that the x940c is awesome. I have an x950b and absolutely love it, and the x940c is also FALD, but bigger and includes HDR, so I think that you'll be more than satisfied for a long time. Keep us posted!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5522 of 14415 Old 11-27-2015, 09:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
4495 IS a great deal.
Makes me almost want to buy another one.
Freddie Harb likes this.
post #5523 of 14415 Old 11-27-2015, 10:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1802 Post(s)
Liked: 1165
Theres a very real chance that we will see a Sony TV with Dolby Vision next year.

http://www.insideci.co.uk/news/sony-...n-content.aspx
brickyardz, steve1971 and Kahn1988 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5524 of 14415 Old 11-27-2015, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
Theres a very real chance that we will see a Sony TV with Dolby Vision next year.

Nice..If sony can get dolby vision, near 100 DCI/p3 and better OS, I may wait for D
brickyardz likes this.
post #5525 of 14415 Old 11-27-2015, 10:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked: 598
Quote:

This is exactly why I am waiting for CES.
Kahn1988 likes this.
post #5526 of 14415 Old 11-27-2015, 10:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1445 Post(s)
Liked: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickyardz View Post
This is exactly why I am waiting for CES.
Cough Cough x950c
brickyardz likes this.
post #5527 of 14415 Old 11-27-2015, 10:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownuser200 View Post
Cough Cough x950c
940D as in Dolby Vision
tbarelaxer likes this.
post #5528 of 14415 Old 11-27-2015, 11:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2457 Post(s)
Liked: 1182
Quote:

Those TVs appear to be curved!
post #5529 of 14415 Old 11-27-2015, 11:33 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Quoted: 12812 Post(s)
Liked: 12155
Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
Those TVs appear to be curved!

Thats because Sony sells curved tvs in Europe and canada.

Also, sony home entertainment is a different department from Sony tv. So it doesn't automatically mean that sony tv will sign a deal also to bring DV to the tvs. But I would bet that it's likely sonys 1st uhd player will have the dolby option.

An example of other connections that potentially mean nothing. Fox studios is making dolby vision movies for theaters. Fox is also a major player with smpte hdr10 and is a major partner with samsung. But I doubt that link is going to lead to Samsung having a Dolby Vision set for 2016. (My guess is 2017 ).

But There's a much better chance of sony having a Dolby tv though before samsung because samsung is stupid and very stubborn my guess is if sony does, the contract deal would be leaked before CES. (The article in question is actually 3 months if u look at the date)

A Sony dolby vision FALD set would likely become a pretty hot ticket when u compare how much more it would offer compared to vizio (best processing, best motion). Maybe sony would have a built in 10" subwoofer on the back of it lol

82Q90R*75Q9FN(RIP)*55C8OLED*Galaxy Note10+*Ub820 fed into Oppo 203*XB1X*4k DenonX4200

MASTER LIST OF HDR CONTENT THREAD HERE, UPDATED OFTEN
post #5530 of 14415 Old 11-28-2015, 09:38 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 5299 Post(s)
Liked: 3037
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
A Sony dolby vision FALD set would likely become a pretty hot ticket when u compare how much more it would offer compared to vizio (best processing, best motion).
No doubt of that...I wish one was available now.
FWIW, I would have taken it over the 940c.

post #5531 of 14415 Old 11-28-2015, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarelaxer View Post
have not checked in lately, over a few months. checking what folk saying about latest firmware....i have noticed the picture go from great to amazing since june; but makes me sick the price is only 5999 now. and i thought i was mr. slick getting it from best buy at 6999 in june after 2 hours of charming a phone rep....but i guess to see brady get revenge has been worth the grand, plus the last dead shows on ppv in july were amazing as i use the speakers and my sound system together for concerts, double swoofer. thing is if it lists at 5999, getting it at 4500 probably doable if you spent a day going intense on an internet hunt, especially now with all 30% off. i still can't figure out so much on computers but after 20 years of internet; i know how to find killer deals, and little search tricks.

bottom line assuming this 940 holds for 7-10 years, plus i got the coverage (at 4500 i would not) from sony store on last day months ago for 5 years 400 bux whatever it is, i give it 9 out of 10, and the 9 is just so i don't jinx it, and 9/10 is still as good as it gets. frankly this tv behaving as of now, at least the picture and sound, i am happy with it never really having to get any better. in ten years i'm sure tv's will be just like holograms, but this thing is sweet. i love the you tube feature of the talking search, as if you love rock n roll, makes it really easy to hear one sick iconic live performance after another, and as fast as the brain can kick out allmans 1970, zepp, 75, little feat 76, dead 90, etc. or even stuff like bohemian rhapsody, which i like but never really loved, is awesome. on this tv it is like almost being at a concert, and now most bands do ppv, great to have.

as for the old kuro, still need that part pioneer stopped making, but it turns on and works if cooled off, but been tucked away safe as the 740 is so good, and my 50 inch is fine for the bedroom w/ the wife...for now, but i'll get the kuro going once it gets to where parts are easy again. plus we have an old samsung dlp from circa 2004 that also sits silent. haha, i remember when that was mind blowing. i don't know if i want any better than the 740, makes me watch too much tv haha, but yah at 4500 it is worth it even if it means some sacrifice as this thing has an entertainment value that will save you money by keeping you in, or from paying so and so to see your fave band up front, when for 20 bux you can get ppv, at least here and there which adds up. peace all and if carlos is out there, hope he is well, as it was he whom convinced me to buy in june from his reviews. glad i did; although selling the house in two years and moving will be a hassle. hope all sony owners are happier cause of the beast (my early nick name for her, and i see others using it too).

ps the hdr I've kinda given up on, as if it is such that i cannot tell if it is hdr or not, why bother the hassle... the picture is so good on the regular...i know the hard cores will be horrified to read that

pps beatles 4k blue ray is mind blowing
I have the 930C as noted in my signature and I confess the picture is absolutely breathtaking after the update.

Streamed UHD 4K content from Amazon is spot on and blu-ray looks gorgeous on my display. Everything just pops and jumps out a you.

Well done Sony because this FW update was first rate!
brickyardz, tbarelaxer and CMPOLED like this.

Oppo UDP-203, Anthem AVM50V 3D, Proceed Amp 3, B&K ST-125.2, Cary Audio 306/200, Apple TV 4K, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC Mk2 W Bridge2, Audeze LCD-2 F 2016, Mac Mini-Tidal HiFi/Roon, Apple iPad Pro/Roon Remote, Sony XBR65X930C, Sonus faber Luito Towers, Sonus faber Luito Monitors, Sonus faber Smart Center Channel, REL T2, Sony SWF-BR100W Wireless Subwoofer for 930C
post #5532 of 14415 Old 11-28-2015, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Anyone have an nvidia shield connected to there tv?
Just ordered one to replace my wd but i read in there forums about video quality issues.
https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...-evaluation/1/
Now iam second guessing my purchase,looking for owner experiences.
Thanks for any feed back.
post #5533 of 14415 Old 11-28-2015, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1003 Post(s)
Liked: 1053
I'm seriously thinking of buying the X940C.

Two big concerns:

1) How is the 3D -- ghosting?
2) How noticeable is haloing in dark scenes (dark scene with a bright object)?

Thanks

Last edited by Deja Vu; 11-28-2015 at 01:37 PM.
post #5534 of 14415 Old 11-28-2015, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 51
So I'm sure most dont care about this as they already own the screen, but I wanted to report my testing results! As I've already said I've had issues with my pannel having motion trails in dark scenes in games, I've issolated the issue and have it pretty well figured out, reproducible and tested on other 940c's.

Basically the issue happens on Dark Grey/Black to Dark Grey transitions (this is completely independent of motion settings, it has nothing to do with the panels software, its a hardware/LCD issue). long trails (the darker the color the longer the trail) will appear when moving around in games (easiest to reproduce in games thanks to the 60fps and controllable camera, also easy to reproduce via ghosting test videos using dark Grey or dark coloured background with a black or near black object moving across them). I've already received PMs from a few members on here asking about the same issue, glad it wasnt just me, this led me to test further. I took a dark grey test video to the Magnolia store I bought the screen from and played it back on the screen (Previously I've just been able to take test patterns to the local Nebraska FM Store, The staff at Magnolia thought I was nuts for complaining about the motion handling on a 7k set, but once I put it up they saw what I was talking about and all agreed it was surprising to see). I was both happy and sad to see it reproduced on the store set as it meant I don't have a bad set, its just the panel sony choose thats the culprit, it handles dark transitions bad.

So it appears the panels black to white transition speed is great, its grey to grey speed is great, but its dark grey/black to dark grey transition speed is quite horrible. Half Life 2 is a GREAT game to test this issue with as during the opening, when you meet Barney for the first time, the rooms dim color works perfectly to illustrate the issue, just walk around Barney and you'll see what looks like black smearing coming off his outfit as you move.

to test further I ran Max Payne, a great old game with lots of dark/dim areas and super easy to run at 60fps+ in 4k. It was easy to confirm the smearing again, in fact I could easily fix it by upping the games brightness so the game was running much brighter than normal (I'd never play it this way, just doing it for testing).

So, I'm still stuck with the delema of what to do. My wife has threatened to kill me if I return the screen as she does not want to go through TV shopping again. 80% of the time the issue is unnoticable (so long as the game isnt a dark/noir game). However that other 20% is giving me little eye twitches knowing I spent so much on a panel that has a glaring flaw.

I also did testing on the Samsung 78" 9500 and the Vizio 80". Samsung did fine with dark grey to grey, though did worse with black to white transitions. The vizio did fine on dark colors but was bad on Grey to Grey, very light but noticeable smearing where the samsung and sony were perfect. (this explains why I've always notice the Vizo seems to handle suble flesh tone movment badly, like a slight blur happens when things move).

The point of all this is just to help fellow gamers decide on screens. The TV is PERFECT for movies, tv, ect, its just falling a little short on the gaming side when it comes to noir/dark game. I highly suggest anyone thinking about this screen or others to take this into acount and try these screens out for yourself, make sure its something you can live with. I honestly think I can thanks to a 3K price jump to move over to the Samsung 78" 9500, which I just cant swallow for a tv.

Last edited by pagusas; 11-28-2015 at 05:23 PM.
post #5535 of 14415 Old 11-28-2015, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 93
This is for 940C and 930C Owners. How is the HDR On your displays? I have seen both without HDR and of course they are Sony so they look great.
brickyardz and arftech like this.
post #5536 of 14415 Old 11-28-2015, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPOLED View Post
This is for 940C and 930C Owners. How is the HDR On your displays? I have seen both without HDR and of course they are Sony so they look great.
Personally, I think HDR has been awesome on my 930C as I have watched every episode of Amazon's "The Man In The High Castle". Yep, every freaking episode and I have enjoyed them immensely. The contrast and colors are incredibly gorgeous. Also, "Edge" in HDR borders on the insane and the notion that streams could look this good is tremendous.
brickyardz, ray0414 and jeffs777 like this.

Oppo UDP-203, Anthem AVM50V 3D, Proceed Amp 3, B&K ST-125.2, Cary Audio 306/200, Apple TV 4K, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC Mk2 W Bridge2, Audeze LCD-2 F 2016, Mac Mini-Tidal HiFi/Roon, Apple iPad Pro/Roon Remote, Sony XBR65X930C, Sonus faber Luito Towers, Sonus faber Luito Monitors, Sonus faber Smart Center Channel, REL T2, Sony SWF-BR100W Wireless Subwoofer for 930C
post #5537 of 14415 Old 11-28-2015, 11:13 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by arftech View Post
Personally, I think HDR has been awesome on my 930C as I have watched every episode of Amazon's "The Man In The High Castle". Yep, every freaking episode and I have enjoyed them immensely. The contrast and colors are incredibly gorgeous. Also, "Edge" in HDR borders on the insane and the notion that streams could look this good is tremendous.
You nailed it - 'The Man in the High Castle' looks amazing in HDR. I was so glad you mentioned 'Edge', to me this is the best example of HDR potential yet (not saying show is good or bad). The sunrise and sunset scenes are amazing - full palette of colors, vibrant and muted, excellent saturation, but most amazing is the sun in the middle. It's so bright with HDR you can hardly look directly into it. I almost felt I need sunglasses (a little hyperbole). To me, it really displays a picture you can't get without HDR - closest picture of a sunset I've seen. The shows not for everyone, seems a little like Django unchained, only violent.
brickyardz and arftech like this.
post #5538 of 14415 Old 11-29-2015, 05:34 AM
Rabid 3-D Aficionado

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 745 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
I'm seriously thinking of buying the X940C.

Two big concerns:

1) How is the 3D -- ghosting?
2) How noticeable is haloing in dark scenes (dark scene with a bright object)?

Thanks
I have watched a ton of 3-D material on the 940C (we just watched Arthur Christmas last night - recommended!) and only rarely see ghosting which has almost always been attributable to the source (per BD reviews, etc.). I have seen occasional haloing but it too has been rare. I saw neither at any time during Gravity 3-D. If 3-D is an important feature to you as it was for me, rest assured, you will not be disappointed. The 940C handles it wonderfully and its extra real estate only magnifies your level of immersion.
Deja Vu, brickyardz and rcaballe like this.
post #5539 of 14415 Old 11-29-2015, 05:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked: 358
How about owners impressions of the 940C playing HD material from cable box and blu ray discs while applying the HDR circuitry to improve native contrast ? What kind(s) of picture improvement have you noticed the most ?

Am i correct in assuming the HDR circuitry of this Sony set can be used to improve visible contrast onscreen from standard high definition sources ?
post #5540 of 14415 Old 11-29-2015, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike iuro View Post
Oh I know, just wondering if it would look any better if mastered in 4k.
Thanks
And only when the 4K Masterd BD being played back with a Sony Bluray player, then only you would see the benefits of 4K masterd!
If those benefits Sony said are already will be there in a Masterd Bluray Disk...,i do not see it and questioned it too?!!
I think it is only Marketing...

Sony VPL-VW360ES (ISF) 4K/UHD HDR projector *Sony KD-75X9405C + Subwoofer SWF-BR100** Marantz AV8802A + MM8077**Synology DS1512+*WS-Spalluto MultiMasking 100" Projection screen* Monitor Audio Platinum PL300,PL100,PLC150 Ebony finsh*Velodyne DD15*Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD/4K player*Oppo BDP-103EU*Nvidia Shield 4K Pro*Sony FMP-X5 4K MP*Appel TV3*Philips Pronto TSU9400 + RFX9600
Sold:Pioneer Kuro KRP-600M ISFccc

Last edited by papaleo; 11-29-2015 at 08:50 AM.
post #5541 of 14415 Old 11-29-2015, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by papaleo View Post
And only when the 4K Masterd BD being played back with a Sony Bluray player, then only you would see the benefits of 4K masterd!
If those benefits Sony said are already will be there in a Masterd Bluray Disk...,i do not see it and questioned it too?!!
I see you have the wireless subwoofer that goes with this TV. Does it make a difference or does the low end sound better? I have a sound system that I turn on when I am watching an action movie or BD concert. However I do find myself watching TV most of the time with just the TV speakers. I have a Rel Sub now which I classify as better for music not as much for action movies.
post #5542 of 14415 Old 11-29-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 View Post
I see you have the wireless subwoofer that goes with this TV. Does it make a difference or does the low end sound better? I have a sound system that I turn on when I am watching an action movie or BD concert. However I do find myself watching TV most of the time with just the TV speakers. I have a Rel Sub now which I classify as better for music not as much for action movies.
I know this was directed to papaleo but I have the wireless SW as well and it makes a noticeable difference. Sometimes you just want to turn on the TV without firing up your system.

I'm sure papaleo will share his thoughts on the sub soon.
brickyardz likes this.

post #5543 of 14415 Old 11-29-2015, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 View Post
Quote:
I know this was directed to papaleo but I have the wireless SW as well and it makes a noticeable difference. Sometimes you just want to turn on the TV without firing up your system.

I'm sure papaleo will share his thoughts on the sub soon.
I fully agree, the sub provides a significant improvement in the perception of sound....
arftech likes this.

Sony VPL-VW360ES (ISF) 4K/UHD HDR projector *Sony KD-75X9405C + Subwoofer SWF-BR100** Marantz AV8802A + MM8077**Synology DS1512+*WS-Spalluto MultiMasking 100" Projection screen* Monitor Audio Platinum PL300,PL100,PLC150 Ebony finsh*Velodyne DD15*Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD/4K player*Oppo BDP-103EU*Nvidia Shield 4K Pro*Sony FMP-X5 4K MP*Appel TV3*Philips Pronto TSU9400 + RFX9600
Sold:Pioneer Kuro KRP-600M ISFccc
post #5544 of 14415 Old 11-29-2015, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by frapso View Post
Anyone have an nvidia shield connected to there tv?
Just ordered one to replace my wd but i read in there forums about video quality issues.
https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...-evaluation/1/
Now iam second guessing my purchase,looking for owner experiences.
Thanks for any feed back.
The problem I was trying to solve is:
How do I play back 100 mbits/sec 4K video shot with a Sony FDR-AX100 camcorder?

The 940C doesn't play those videos with the built in Android. (The wired network is only 100mbit, so that kills it right there.)

I bought a Shield, and it is able to play the videos in 4K. They look fine. Any video quality issues are not obvious.

I do notice some color differences with the Shield- but it was something I assumed would be fixed via firmware updates.
Also, it's not clear if the Shield is outputting at 18gbs or a lesser rate. I couldn't really find a way to check using the Shield or the 940c.
Looking at test patterns isn't definitive- I need the Shield or the TV to tell me what's up.

At this point, my impression of the Shield is that it is a higher performance version of the Android that is built into the Sony.
The ability to remotely play PC games using the Nvidia Game stream is an interesting option.
It is able to play games I consider to be Android phone quality games, and they are on a 4K screen, but to call it 4K gaming seems misleading.

I bought it because it's the cheapest way to play the higher bitrate 4K videos I have found.

An HDMI 2.0 video card is in the $150 range, plus you have to build the entire PC to go around it.
You have to deal with all the administration issues of running a PC.

In terms of modern 4K video games- to play Star Wars Battlefront at 4K with settings maxed, I read you need a pair of 980ti's in SLI.
That's $1100 or so just on video cards.
PS4 and Xbox One don't do 4K.
Intel NUCs don't support HDMI 2.0 yet.

That leaves the Shield in it's weird little niche- one of the cheapest HDMI 2.0 options out right now for playing videos.

We're kind of caught in purgatory right now. The technology to build a 4K version of the PS4 or Xbox One at an affordable price point doesn't exist yet.
(So we can't do what we did with 1080P in 2006, which was buy a PS3 as a game player / media player / blu-ray player.)
4K Blu-Ray players aren't out yet, so using that as a media player won't happen for a while.
Building an additional PC to play 4K videos and games is expensive assuming most people keep their PC and their TV as separate setups.

Time will pass, technology will advance, and hopefully we'll have a solution that makes sense.
In the meantime, the Shield solves my problem at a reasonable price. It isn't perfect, but at <$199, I didn't expect it to be.
brickyardz and frapso like this.
post #5545 of 14415 Old 11-29-2015, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by papaleo View Post

The disk looked fantastic though I played it in Vivid mode rather than Cinema Pro with the "Mastered in 4K" box checked.
I have watched the stuff on Amazon in 4K (yes, I know its not the full 4K experience) and this looked better than anything Ive seen on the set yet.
Seems as though so far the higher rez stuff looks better in Vivid, for everything else I watch in Cinema Pro.

I picked up Total Recall Mastered in 4K from Amazon for like 6 bucks....
(I dont have the Sony box with the 4K material....)
post #5546 of 14415 Old 11-29-2015, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel Olmos View Post
The problem I was trying to solve is:
How do I play back 100 mbits/sec 4K video shot with a Sony FDR-AX100 camcorder?

The 940C doesn't play those videos with the built in Android. (The wired network is only 100mbit, so that kills it right there.)

I bought a Shield, and it is able to play the videos in 4K. They look fine. Any video quality issues are not obvious.

I do notice some color differences with the Shield- but it was something I assumed would be fixed via firmware updates.
Also, it's not clear if the Shield is outputting at 18gbs or a lesser rate. I couldn't really find a way to check using the Shield or the 940c.
Looking at test patterns isn't definitive- I need the Shield or the TV to tell me what's up.

At this point, my impression of the Shield is that it is a higher performance version of the Android that is built into the Sony.
The ability to remotely play PC games using the Nvidia Game stream is an interesting option.
It is able to play games I consider to be Android phone quality games, and they are on a 4K screen, but to call it 4K gaming seems misleading.

I bought it because it's the cheapest way to play the higher bitrate 4K videos I have found.

An HDMI 2.0 video card is in the $150 range, plus you have to build the entire PC to go around it.
You have to deal with all the administration issues of running a PC.

In terms of modern 4K video games- to play Star Wars Battlefront at 4K with settings maxed, I read you need a pair of 980ti's in SLI.
That's $1100 or so just on video cards.
PS4 and Xbox One don't do 4K.
Intel NUCs don't support HDMI 2.0 yet.

That leaves the Shield in it's weird little niche- one of the cheapest HDMI 2.0 options out right now for playing videos.

We're kind of caught in purgatory right now. The technology to build a 4K version of the PS4 or Xbox One at an affordable price point doesn't exist yet.
(So we can't do what we did with 1080P in 2006, which was buy a PS3 as a game player / media player / blu-ray player.)
4K Blu-Ray players aren't out yet, so using that as a media player won't happen for a while.
Building an additional PC to play 4K videos and games is expensive assuming most people keep their PC and their TV as separate setups.

Time will pass, technology will advance, and hopefully we'll have a solution that makes sense.
In the meantime, the Shield solves my problem at a reasonable price. It isn't perfect, but at <$199, I didn't expect it to be.
Axel, there was a video I posted awhile back with Shuhei Yoshida, he mentions that the PS4 is all set to do 4K/UHD video. Now if that is 4K/UHD streaming or 4K/UHD blu-ray we will have to wait and see. Maybe we will see more news on this at CES in January. Here is the link for the video, I think it is around the 7 minute mark where he mentions this.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/07/10/s...ject-morpheus/
post #5547 of 14415 Old 11-29-2015, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked: 811
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs777 View Post
You nailed it - 'The Man in the High Castle' looks amazing in HDR. I was so glad you mentioned 'Edge', to me this is the best example of HDR potential yet (not saying show is good or bad). The sunrise and sunset scenes are amazing - full palette of colors, vibrant and muted, excellent saturation, but most amazing is the sun in the middle. It's so bright with HDR you can hardly look directly into it. I almost felt I need sunglasses (a little hyperbole). To me, it really displays a picture you can't get without HDR - closest picture of a sunset I've seen. The shows not for everyone, seems a little like Django unchained, only violent.
The Man in the High Castle is the first bit of HDR I've seen on any TV that actually wowed me. Looks absolutely stunning on the 940C!
brickyardz, arftech and jeffs777 like this.

Inbound: Sony STR-ZA5000ES and Martin Logan ESL-C

Sony 77A9G / Marantz SR-7012 / Martin Logan Motion 60XT, 50XT, Motion 4, Motion FX / 2 x Rythmik FV15HP / AppleTV 4K / ShieldTV (2019) / 170TB Plex Server
post #5548 of 14415 Old 11-29-2015, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I will be getting my XBR75X940C in the next 2 days , Can anyone tell me the distance between the 2 stands both wide a narrow , also I have a wireless subwoofer kit what jack is needed for this TV

VRD Monoblocks Totaldac Twelve System Music Storage NAS SSD - Dedicated Router - (2) Paul Hynes SR-5 Linear PSU - Controlled by Ipad
Speakers :Joseph Perspective's Cables : Antipodes reference Speaker / IC's - Wywires Silver Juice II - Totaldac D1 USB
All Furutech GTX-D Gold Receptacles
post #5549 of 14415 Old 11-29-2015, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Can anyone tell me how to get amazon video on my 940c?

I'm in Canada and am Using unblock-us.

It works fine on my fire stick but I can't get it on the 940cs android tv,,

Last edited by cupell08; 11-29-2015 at 07:02 PM.
post #5550 of 14415 Old 11-29-2015, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Hey guys - new owner of a 940C here (as of last night). Sold my 70x850b yesterday on Craigslist, and headed straight to Video Only to pick up this bad boy. While the PQ on the 850B was very good, it simply cannot touch the 940C. The biggest difference is the contrast levels. The combo of FALD and higher peak output just really lets the 940 shine. Looking at the same 4K clips off my usb drive, the 940 gives the most lifelike picture I have ever seen. And that's before calibration (which I'll do tonight with my meter an calman 5 software). This thread has been very useful to get initial settings to test the set.
While I'll probably never use the built in speakers, I gotta say the tv looks bad ass in my rec room. It really fills in the rim nicely, and 75" really provides the perfect theater like effect from 10' away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
940C , hdr , Sony , X930C , X940C

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page