**Official** Sony X930C / X940C Owners Thread - Page 187 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7015Likes

post #5581 of 14415 Old 11-30-2015, 06:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Are you still looking for the box dimensions? I have my box still and could measure it if need be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5582 of 14415 Old 11-30-2015, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainlord View Post
I'm not sure if someone else has run into this issue, but I've been following this thread since it started and I don't think so.

On my 65" X930C, when I turn it on from power off (normal power off), sometimes my screen is just black. The TV menu still works, it shows the source in the top left etc, but it's as if it's ignoring the video part of the HDMI signal, as I can hear the sound but I see nothing. It also doesn't matter if I switch the source to something else, it's black no matter what I do. This has happened quite a few times with some time in between each occasion. The only way I've managed to "cure" it, is to completely restart the TV (unplug, plug back in, start up). I've tried both HDMI1 and HDMI4 (ARC) as inputs but it doesn't seem to matter. I doubt it could be a faulty HDMI cable as it seems if it would be the problem, then the audio would fail too? But I'm no expert in that area.

My second issue is that sometimes the TV goes into what I can only call "stutter" mode, where the video stream gets super choppy. At first I thought it was my media server (QNAP 451) but after a while I realized that it was the TV. Even the menu at this time (which is already slow in general) gets incredibly choppy. Again, the only cure is to restart the TV. This has also happened with some frequency.

I've ensured TV is on latest firmwares etc.

I've contacted Sony support via mail but I reckon I'll have to call them as they've not replied. But before I do I just wanted to check if anyone else has run into something similar?
The TV lags when you try to navigate somewhere on the TV while it is accessing something. Do you have a thumb drive or HDD connected to your TV?
post #5583 of 14415 Old 11-30-2015, 08:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by defjamz View Post
Here are a few quick iphone shots of my 940C. Forgive the baby-gate in front, I need to keep it away from 2-year old hands. Pictures don't really do it justice.

Did a quick 2-point WB calibration last night. "Expert 1" color was a little warm (~6100K), so I adjusted to get to 6500K. Did the calibration with Local Dimming off, and then turned it back on (Medium) afterwards. Also found that Brightness of 8 gave me ~65 ft/L with motionflow off. While that's a lot brighter than I usually calibrate too, it provides an insane amount of contrast/pop while maintaining deep blacks and shadow detail. No way my 850B could anywhere near this bright without washing out the black levels.
Overall image quality is simply stunning, and I think surpasses my previous "best tv I've owned", the Panny VT60 plasma.
Off topic, but where did you get the baby gate? I need something like that to keep my daughter in her corner of the man cave...LOL
brickyardz likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5584 of 14415 Old 12-01-2015, 03:15 AM
Rabid 3-D Aficionado

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 745 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Latest firmware "description" now posted on Sony Support and once again it is lacking detail.

Quote:
Release Date 11/24/2015 Version PKG3.017.0080NAB File Size 1.13 GB

File Description

Sony has designed the BRAVIA® Televisions software update process to be customer friendly. This software update (version PKG3.017.0080NAB) provides the following benefits:

Improvements over version PKG2.475.0010NAB:
•Adds Twin Picture (PAP function) support
•Improves general software quality of the TV

Benefits provided by previous updates and included in version PKG3.017.0080NAB:
•Improves general performance of the TV
•Supports PlayMemories Online service
•Supports PlayStation™ Now service
•Improves Wi-Fi connectivity of the TV
•Improves picture quality (dynamic range, noise reduction, sharpness)
•Supports Netflix® streaming service (4K Models)
•Improves Lip Sync for HDMI input
•Improves performance and stability of the USB video playback features
•Resolves a condition where a black screen and no sound may occur when an input changes from YouTube® to another input
•Resolves a condition where a black screen may occur during USB video playback
•Supports Internet based EPG (Electronic program guide)
•Supports Netflix streaming service (2K Models)
•Supports Amazon, Pandora®, and Crackle™ applications
•Supports Force Reboot by holding down the Power key on the BT or IR remote controller
•Improves performance and stability of overall UI operation
•Improves performance and stability of the Action Menu
post #5585 of 14415 Old 12-01-2015, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcuslaw View Post
Latest firmware "description" now posted on Sony Support and once again it is lacking detail.
How so? What type of details are you looking for other than what's being reported?
CMPOLED likes this.

Oppo UDP-203, Anthem AVM50V 3D, Proceed Amp 3, B&K ST-125.2, Cary Audio 306/200, Apple TV 4K, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC Mk2 W Bridge2, Audeze LCD-2 F 2016, Mac Mini-Tidal HiFi/Roon, Apple iPad Pro/Roon Remote, Sony XBR65X930C, Sonus faber Luito Towers, Sonus faber Luito Monitors, Sonus faber Smart Center Channel, REL T2, Sony SWF-BR100W Wireless Subwoofer for 930C
post #5586 of 14415 Old 12-01-2015, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by arftech View Post
How so? What type of details are you looking for other than what's being reported?
I know what I want to see.

-Amazon 5.1surround sound supported

How long do we have to wait to get this?
waja likes this.

Sony 940C*Sony HX909*Samsung K8500*Yamaha 3050*klipsch front RP-280's*rear RF-3's*center RP-450C*Sides RP-280's*front heights RP-140's*overhead 5650cii's*SVS-PB2000x4*emotiva XPA-5*Yamaha YSP-1600 sound bar*Sony HT-CT370 sound bar
post #5587 of 14415 Old 12-01-2015, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Quoted: 12814 Post(s)
Liked: 12155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2JDMBFAN View Post
Off topic, but where did you get the baby gate? I need something like that to keep my daughter in her corner of the man cave...LOL

I recently got this this as a present for my sister, 16 foot gate that had sections so u can make shapes for unique areas.

It appears to now be out of stock, but I bought it 2 weeks ago for $80

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003V...9X60EHVATD229N

82Q90R*75Q9FN(RIP)*55C8OLED*Galaxy Note10+*Ub820 fed into Oppo 203*XB1X*4k DenonX4200

MASTER LIST OF HDR CONTENT THREAD HERE, UPDATED OFTEN
post #5588 of 14415 Old 12-01-2015, 09:46 AM
Rabid 3-D Aficionado

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 745 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by arftech View Post
Well, for starters, how about a brief description explaining the PAP function? When can it be used and when not, why? What TV software was improved? How was performance improved? Basically a brief description in place of where ever the generic term "improves" or "supports" is used.
waja, oink, papaleo and 2 others like this.
post #5589 of 14415 Old 12-01-2015, 12:13 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 5299 Post(s)
Liked: 3037
Can anyone who has the 940c being held up with the 2 little V-shaped legs get a tape measure out and tell me exactly what the distance is from the bottom of the actual screen to the flat surface the TV sits on?

I need to build a TV cart to put mine on and have to get the height just right.

Last edited by oink; 12-01-2015 at 01:42 PM.
post #5590 of 14415 Old 12-01-2015, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
Can anyone who has the 940c being held up with the 2 little V-shaped legs get a tape measure out and tell me exactly what the distance is from the bottom of the actual screen to the flat surface the TV sits on?

I need to build a TV cart to put mine on and have to get the height just right.
If I am understanding you correctly it's 2 1/2 inches.
post #5591 of 14415 Old 12-01-2015, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked: 598
post #5592 of 14415 Old 12-01-2015, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 5299 Post(s)
Liked: 3037
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 View Post
If I am understanding you correctly it's 2 1/2 inches.
Thank you very much.

post #5593 of 14415 Old 12-01-2015, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Well for whatever reason, this time around the HDR did kick in. The downside is that the skin tones seemed to have a bit of a red push relative to the HD version. This is a bit reminiscent of the Roku issue.

The difference is this is the first time I've seen this with a UHD program on any of the Sony apps. I guess it's possible that was the Director's intent.
I'm on the episode and I see HDR in the description. What settings do I need to turn on my TV to get HDR to work?
post #5594 of 14415 Old 12-01-2015, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoejohndoes View Post
I'm on the episode and I see HDR in the description. What settings do I need to turn on my TV to get HDR to work?
If the episode is in HDR, your set should automatically change. You should not have to go into your settings and change your settings to enhanced format
Ken Ross likes this.
post #5595 of 14415 Old 12-01-2015, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi guys, just wondering if you guys think that wall mounting TV's like the 930C would cause any issues. I had a 850B and it had backlight issues that only came apparent after wall mounting and then my 930C has had the 1-2 inches discolouration on the sides and the thick lines of discolouration (assuming it's DSE) across the screen which is very noticeable when watching soccer or playing FIFA and I've had the 930C wall mounted from day one. I am getting a replacement 930C from Sony in the next week or 2 so am wondering should I wall mount this one or not? Am getting nervous as I need this one to be the keeper as it will be my 4th TV since I first bought a 4KTV in February. Thanks
post #5596 of 14415 Old 12-01-2015, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Surprised the 940c price went back up a grand.
rcaballe likes this.
post #5597 of 14415 Old 12-01-2015, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickyardz View Post
If the episode is in HDR, your set should automatically change. You should not have to go into your settings and change your settings to enhanced format
So there's not a particular setting (Cinemotion/etc.) that needs to be turned on for HDR to work?

Just wanted to make sure I didn't have to set anything on my TV before playing.
post #5598 of 14415 Old 12-01-2015, 07:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoejohndoes View Post
So there's not a particular setting (Cinemotion/etc.) that needs to be turned on for HDR to work?

Just wanted to make sure I didn't have to set anything on my TV before playing.
No other setting needs to be changed.
post #5599 of 14415 Old 12-01-2015, 08:12 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 7386 Post(s)
Liked: 8273
The Man In The High Tower- 4K/UHD/940c performance observations

My wife and I just finished watching all 10 episodes of The Man in The High Castle. We did this over 3 nights and we couldn't stop watching.

First off the series is, IMO, just fantastic. The writing, acting, script twists and cinematography are all superb.

This was my first extended experience with HDR and, in the interest of full disclosure, I have not been a fan of any of the HDR demos I've seen, either in-store or at the last CES.

This series showed both the best and worst of HDR and its implementation. It both exceeded my expectations, but also confirmed some of my fears. Some of the scenes looked spectacular in HDR, as they looked both natural and unforced. Others had the unmistakable look of "Look at me, I'm HDR". The persistent scenes in front of blindingly bright windows became both tedious and way overdone. Yes, without HDR some of those scenes would not have been possible, but with HDR they certainly are. But the fact that can be done doesn't mean that they should be done...at least IMO.

As both my wife and I found, as we watched in our typically dark room, the blinding light from the window was simply way too overdone, uncomfortable and simply distracting. OK guys, we got it, you can do HDR. Leave HDR to those scenes that don't let the viewer think it's being done just to 'show off'. In fact neither my wife and I could recall any movie, TV show or series where so many scenes had the character in front of a blazingly bright window, or any window for that matter.

However the flip side of the coin was that some of the outdoor scenes, particularly the last episode, were just amazing in their natural brilliance and gorgeous cinematography. Here HDR worked and worked well. Some of the shots in the gun work shop, with sparks flying, also worked well in HDR because they looked natural and weren't forced.

Now, how about the performance of the 940c with HDR? I've read so many comments in different threads from the LCD naysayers about how FALD would be a total fail with HDR. Nonsense, utter nonsense. In virtually all scenes there was no spillover from one zone to another where light intrusion should not have been. Other than the overdone nature of some of the scenes I've already mentioned, the 940c's implementation of HDR was, IMO, impeccable.

Kudos to Sony and kudos to Amazon for this great series.

Edit: corrected name and episode #s .

Last edited by Ken Ross; 12-03-2015 at 05:08 AM.
post #5600 of 14415 Old 12-01-2015, 09:28 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 16
A couple of things to point out. It's Man in the High Castle. They're only 10 episodes. The HDR is amazing and I watched them all between Nov 20-22. I've since watched a lot of them again. I was noticing the Windows issue too and it literally blinded me. The whites are clipping because I would imagine Sony has the Dynamic Contrast turned on. The Dynamic Contrast needs to be turned off or the whites clip.

For example in the last episode "10" at 6:00-6:05 Inspector K is looking out the window and you can see the blinding white light by default. When I manually go and shut off the Dynamic Contrast you can see a third dimension of buildings, cars, trees, lights poles, lines in the street. in the background. It's amazing. I've got the JS9000 and 9500.

It's literally the most incredible thing I've ever seen. That's the trick to HDR graded this way.... unless you can turn off DC then you'll be blinded. I watch in Movie or Standard mode. Doesn't matter. After the settings lock toggling DC is the key. Tights it off for proper HDR.

Quote:
My wife and I just finished watching all 11 episodes of The Man in The High Tower. We did this over 3 nights and we couldn't stop watching.

First off the series is, IMO, just fantastic. The writing, acting, script twists and cinematography are all superb.

This was my first extended experience with HDR and, in the interest of full disclosure, I have not been a fan of any of the HDR demos I've seen, either in-store or at the last CES.

This series showed both the best and worst of HDR and its implementation. It both exceeded my expectations, but also confirmed some of my fears. Some of the scenes looked spectacular in HDR, as they looked both natural and unforced. Others had the unmistakable look of "Look at me, I'm HDR". The persistent scenes in front of blindingly bright windows became both tedious and way overdone. Yes, without HDR some of those scenes would not have been possible, but with HDR they certainly are. But the fact that can be done doesn't mean that they should be done...at least IMO.

As both my wife and I found, as we watched in our typically dark room, the blinding light from the window was simply way too overdone, uncomfortable and simply distracting. OK guys, we got it, you can do HDR. Leave HDR to those scenes that don't let the viewer think it's being done just to 'show off'. In fact neither my wife and I could recall any movie, TV show or series where so many scenes had the character in front of a blazingly bright window, or any window for that matter.

However the flip side of the coin was that some of the outdoor scenes, particularly the last episode, were just amazing in their natural brilliance and gorgeous cinematography. Here HDR worked and worked well. Some of the shots in the gun work shop, with sparks flying, also worked well in HDR because they looked natural and weren't forced.

Now, how about the performance of the 940c with HDR? I've read so many comments in different threads from the LCD naysayers about how FALD would be a total fail with HDR. Nonsense, utter nonsense. In virtually all scenes there was no spillover from one zone to another where light intrusion should not have been. Other than the overdone nature of some of the scenes I've already mentioned, the 940c's implementation of HDR was, IMO, impeccable.

post #5601 of 14415 Old 12-01-2015, 09:37 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2104 Post(s)
Liked: 1520
Quote:

What? I don't think anyone was saying FALD would be a failure with HDR. In fact, quite the opposite. HDR with FALD will look better then edge-lit or even 400 nit OLED. The only negative thing you could say about FALD and HDR would be very slight increase in blooming if the local dimming scheme was not done correctly, but this would show up in SDR as well.
post #5602 of 14415 Old 12-01-2015, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech View Post
What? I don't think anyone was saying FALD would be a failure with HDR. In fact, quite the opposite. HDR with FALD will look better then edge-lit or even 400 nit OLED. The only negative thing you could say about FALD and HDR would be very slight increase in blooming if the local dimming scheme was not done correctly, but this would show up in SDR as well.
ive seen quite a bit of folks say that LCD will suck with HDR. mainly in other threads, not these.
Ken Ross likes this.

82Q90R*75Q9FN(RIP)*55C8OLED*Galaxy Note10+*Ub820 fed into Oppo 203*XB1X*4k DenonX4200

post #5603 of 14415 Old 12-02-2015, 12:46 AM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 86
P&P and HDD REC via USB will not arrive until the end of february 2016...

Sony mailed this info to some users here in Italy yesterday..
post #5604 of 14415 Old 12-02-2015, 08:32 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6073
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBAYS View Post
Hi guys, just wondering if you guys think that wall mounting TV's like the 930C would cause any issues. I had a 850B and it had backlight issues that only came apparent after wall mounting and then my 930C has had the 1-2 inches discolouration on the sides and the thick lines of discolouration (assuming it's DSE) across the screen which is very noticeable when watching soccer or playing FIFA and I've had the 930C wall mounted from day one. I am getting a replacement 930C from Sony in the next week or 2 so am wondering should I wall mount this one or not? Am getting nervous as I need this one to be the keeper as it will be my 4th TV since I first bought a 4KTV in February. Thanks
Mine 930 wall mounted and I have zero issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
ive seen quite a bit of folks say that LCD will suck with HDR. mainly in other threads, not these.
My only hypothesis is a tech than can go pixel by pixel (OLED) will be the best performer in the future with HDR type content. Second place, depending on zones, will be a FALD, and last place will be edge lit LCD.

I mean lets be honest here, when an LCD with poor zones or that is edge lit has to go super nova in a small area, depending on the dimming tech, it is going to kill contrast in a larger area than the part it had to brighten. Im not saying they are going to look bad, just saying that one tech is setup to do it better than the other two.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
ATV4K / Uverse / Sony X800M2
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
post #5605 of 14415 Old 12-02-2015, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBAYS View Post
Wall mounted, No issues, sounds great!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0016.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	1093634  

I do not condone what i do, but i will not deny myself the pleasure!
post #5606 of 14415 Old 12-02-2015, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickyardz View Post
One more month to go and we will see......
brickyardz likes this.
post #5607 of 14415 Old 12-02-2015, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceko View Post
Surprised the 940c price went back up a grand.
It will drop again sooner or later especially with the upcoming of the CES
post #5608 of 14415 Old 12-02-2015, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
My wife and I just finished watching all 11 episodes of The Man in The High Tower. We did this over 3 nights and we couldn't stop watching.

Ken, totally agreed with your post - on HDR and the series, very good stuff. The directors and producers are going to have to learn to incorporate the strengths of HDR without forcing it.

It reminds me of when 3D became popular again (actually the first time too). Specifically, the gratuitous 'throwing the yoyo at the camera' (Journey to the Center of the Earth). I really like 3D, but the litmus test is 'is the movie still good in 2D'. If it has you shaking your head in 2D, it's probably junk. An example done right is Gravity. Mind blowing in 3D, but still a great movie in 2D.
Ken Ross, arftech and ray0414 like this.
post #5609 of 14415 Old 12-02-2015, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Pkg3

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcuslaw View Post
Well, for starters, how about a brief description explaining the PAP function? When can it be used and when not, why? What TV software was improved? How was performance improved? Basically a brief description in place of where ever the generic term "improves" or "supports" is used.
This update installed on my 940C a week or so ago. I can't answer in detail about improvements as I haven't had a chance to check things out in any detail. That said, BE AWARE, that you need to copy your settings before applying the update. I let mine rip and at the end there was a message that it had finished and "that some user settings may have been changed"! I had lost my hard won picture settings and had to recreate / recover them.
post #5610 of 14415 Old 12-02-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs777 View Post
Ken, totally agreed with your post - on HDR and the series, very good stuff. The directors and producers are going to have to learn to incorporate the strengths of HDR without forcing it.

It reminds me of when 3D became popular again (actually the first time too). Specifically, the gratuitous 'throwing the yoyo at the camera' (Journey to the Center of the Earth). I really like 3D, but the litmus test is 'is the movie still good in 2D'. If it has you shaking your head in 2D, it's probably junk. An example done right is Gravity. Mind blowing in 3D, but still a great movie in 2D.

the grading process requires a learning curve. i believe the window issues is a grading issue that will probably be corrected as time goes on.

there is a guy here on AVS that is working on a HUGE project regrading a somewhat well known 4k documentary into HDR. He is also "learning on the fly". based on feedback from myself and a couple others, he was able to "fix" blowout that he had previously missed in his earlier clip gradings in HDR with the documentary. Im not sure when the entire project will be finished, but visually this is going to blow minds based on what ive seen so far

(which makes me wonder if sony/amazon or anyone else is getting actual user feedback on their HDR stuff before releasing their final HDR graded content, and im betting the answer is no)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
940C , hdr , Sony , X930C , X940C

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page