**Official** Sony X930C / X940C Owners Thread - Page 191 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7015Likes

post #5701 of 14414 Old 12-06-2015, 09:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisdompaths View Post
Me too. Notice lot less compression noise/artifacting with 950b than 930c or 850c especially when smooth gradation setting engaged. Still considering exchanging for oled. What are your thoughts on sony vs oled?
I read earlier that the LG OLED had bad screen uniformity. If you are in the market for 65 then Id definitely check it out myself as that's what Id go for. In the meantime, since I was in the 75"+ market I went for 940C.
came from 65VT60 then 75F8000.
i still need a few days tweaking the settings to get the picture I want. But Id say its definitely a great TV.
the Plasma was awesome but:
- wasnt very bright in daylight
- plasma has this little noise all over that you can see when close.
- limited to 65"...
- retention was a problem. I forgot mine in THX mode while gaming and I burnt it.

The Samsung was great too
- great blacks, color and motion
- but bad case of DSE (all of them) and overall screen uniformity awsnt great
- had horizontal band in mid tones plain colors all accross the screen (not that big of a deal but disctracting)
- all the rest was really nice.

The Sony seems like it will be the best of the 3 IMO.

will report once I finished my settings (I kinda hate TV menus. These guys (all of them) should learn a little from Apple )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5702 of 14414 Old 12-07-2015, 12:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike iuro View Post
Alright guys,
I have a 940c and after realizing I wasnt getting HDR I went through all the settings, unplugged my tv, plugged it back in, tried this, tried that, but no luck.
Anytime I try to play HDR, like MITHC, my tv reverts to Vivid mode.
I know others have experienced this as I remember seeing it somewhere, but I couldnt find it.
Is my TV defective or did I miss a setting?
Thanks guys
Are you sure you're not getting HDR? The software had a quirk that when went into the action menu from an app it displays the Picture Mode of the last HDMI input played (not HDR - even though the app was using the HDR. I think it now shows Vivid. The real way to see if it's going through the HDR setting is to totally tweak an HDR setting (color to 90, etc.) and see if it jacks up the app picture of an Amazon HDR video. Once your sure or convinced it is using HDR, you can then dial it in. I've Been very impressed with The Man in the High Castle. The wild western pilot Edge is also very good in HDR.

Just comparing the 1080p version of the opening credits to The Man in the High Castle to the HDR version will show a big difference. It will be comparing 1080p to 4K, but from 10-12 feet that doesn't have near the impact HDR has. The lighting on the Monuments and especially the Nazi emblem is much brighter, tighter, and defined in HDR. The 1080p version is dull and washed out (you'd never notice unless you had the HDR version to compare it with).

Good luck - I hope your set is ok.
post #5703 of 14414 Old 12-07-2015, 05:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 810 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
Yes, it does.
I'm pretty sure I turned it on in the Marantz.
Anyway, I'll be experimenting with it today while watching football.

Funny thing is I went out to the garage to find an optical cable and couldn't locate one.
What is funny about it is I have boxes and BOXES of cables of AV and computer cables going back at least 30 years (seriously).
In the pre-HDMI days I know I bought at least half a dozen of 'em....now I can't find one!
When using the ARC HDMI connection it says you have to also use an optical connection for the audio. Question, doesn't an optical connection not allow you to use the higher audio resolution like DTS Master Audio that is available on most bluray's and limits you to just regular Dolby Digital?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5704 of 14414 Old 12-07-2015, 06:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

When I hit the display button on the remote I can't get the current time to display. Instead in the upper right part of the screen I see this --:-- which is where I think the current time should be displayed. I did go to the Home menu and checked to make sure that the current time is set, which it is. Is there something I need to do to get the current time to display?

Last edited by mt14942; 12-07-2015 at 07:26 AM.
post #5705 of 14414 Old 12-07-2015, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 View Post
When using the ARC HDMI connection it says you have to also use an optical connection for the audio. Question, doesn't an optical connection not allow you to use the higher audio resolution like DTS Master Audio that is available on most bluray's and limits you to just regular Dolby Digital?
I'm using the ARC with my HDMI cable only going to my Yamaha 3050. There are no optical cables connected in my setup.

Sony 940C*Sony HX909*Samsung K8500*Yamaha 3050*klipsch front RP-280's*rear RF-3's*center RP-450C*Sides RP-280's*front heights RP-140's*overhead 5650cii's*SVS-PB2000x4*emotiva XPA-5*Yamaha YSP-1600 sound bar*Sony HT-CT370 sound bar
post #5706 of 14414 Old 12-07-2015, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudog2 View Post
I'm using the ARC with my HDMI cable only going to my Yamaha 3050. There are no optical cables connected in my setup.

Thanks for that info. Could you explain what is the benefit of ARC? Should I be using the HDMI 4 (ARC) connection for connecting to my bluray player as opposed to HDMI 3 that I am currently using. Anyway it appears like I should be using the HDMI 3 for my Direct TV since when I go to the Action Menu and I hit the Watch TV selection it defaults to HDMI 3.
post #5707 of 14414 Old 12-07-2015, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Thanks for that info. Could you explain what is the benefit of ARC? Should I be using the HDMI 4 (ARC) connection for connecting to my bluray player as opposed to HDMI 3 that I am currently using. Anyway it appears like I should be using the HDMI 3 for my Direct TV since when I go to the Action Menu and I hit the Watch TV selection it defaults to HDMI 3.
ARC would be for plugging in a receiver or soundbar with HDMI. Audio Return Channel allows for audio to come from TV to the receiver/soundbar via HDMI.

Example...you have an AV receiver with a Blu-Ray player and Xbox plugged into it, but you get your TV from an OTA antenna plugged directly into the TV. By plugging the AV receiver into the ARC enabled HDMI port, not only can you send the signal from the AV receiver to the TV when you use its connected sources, but you can send the audio from the OTA TV broadcasts back to the receiver. This also applies to the built in Android TV apps. Probably also applies to other sources plugged directly into the TV but I've had such poor luck with ARC I gave up on figuring the rest of it out.
post #5708 of 14414 Old 12-07-2015, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mengels7 View Post
ARC would be for plugging in a receiver or soundbar with HDMI. Audio Return Channel allows for audio to come from TV to the receiver/soundbar via HDMI.

Example...you have an AV receiver with a Blu-Ray player and Xbox plugged into it, but you get your TV from an OTA antenna plugged directly into the TV. By plugging the AV receiver into the ARC enabled HDMI port, not only can you send the signal from the AV receiver to the TV when you use its connected sources, but you can send the audio from the OTA TV broadcasts back to the receiver. This also applies to the built in Android TV apps. Probably also applies to other sources plugged directly into the TV but I've had such poor luck with ARC I gave up on figuring the rest of it out.

Thanks Mengels, Right now I am just using direct TV Genie via HDMI to my pre/pro as well as my bluray player to the pre/pro and than HDMI out to the TV, this is allowing me use my sound system for both. So I don't think I need to concern myself with ARC. Plus I just found out that my Classe SSP800 pre/pro doesn't have ARC capability, but again it doesn't seem to affect me anyway the way I am using it.
post #5709 of 14414 Old 12-07-2015, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Team,

I finally got my 940C. I underestimated the size of the beast.

Overall first impressions:

1) Movies / High Res TV (HBO HD) look fantastic
2) Gaming is unreal. Haven't noticed any input lag.
3) TV (fios) can look grainy. Unsure if this is my **** tv service that Verizon Provides. Frustrating, because some channels look clean, while others look worse.

QUESTION:

I need to hang this on my wall, on any stand, it looks too big. Does anyone have a TV Wall mount suggestion. I don't need one of those moveable arms.... but was curious if Fixed is adequate, or if its worth to spend a little more for a tilting wall mount.

Appreciate everyone's valuable input!!!!

Freddie
post #5710 of 14414 Old 12-07-2015, 02:35 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 5299 Post(s)
Liked: 3037
Quote:
Yes, you are restricted to lossy audio.
It isn't a big deal because all of the streaming sources are lossy anyway (AFAIK).

I discovered the real problem trying to get ARC to work with my setup is I have a Darblet and it is not ARC compatible.

post #5711 of 14414 Old 12-07-2015, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie Harb View Post
Team,

3) TV (fios) can look grainy. Unsure if this is my **** tv service that Verizon Provides. Frustrating, because some channels look clean, while others look worse.

QUESTION:

I need to hang this on my wall, on any stand, it looks too big. Does anyone have a TV Wall mount suggestion. I don't need one of those moveable arms.... but was curious if Fixed is adequate, or if its worth to spend a little more for a tilting wall mount.

Freddie
Congrats on the new arrival...enjoy!
Freddie Harb likes this.

Oppo UDP-203, Anthem AVM50V 3D, Proceed Amp 3, B&K ST-125.2, Cary Audio 306/200, Apple TV 4K, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC Mk2 W Bridge2, Audeze LCD-2 F 2016, Mac Mini-Tidal HiFi/Roon, Apple iPad Pro/Roon Remote, Sony XBR65X930C, Sonus faber Luito Towers, Sonus faber Luito Monitors, Sonus faber Smart Center Channel, REL T2, Sony SWF-BR100W Wireless Subwoofer for 930C
post #5712 of 14414 Old 12-07-2015, 07:27 PM

Argh, can't seem to tweak my picture to my liking.

I watch in a dark room. Whites are too bright and blacks too blacks lol. Can't seem to know where to adjust to get more details in blacks and less brightness in whites. When raising a little the black levels then you can clearly notice the changes in brightness in black bands :-/.

I'd like a flatter picture. Its like peaking in both ends of the curve
post #5713 of 14414 Old 12-07-2015, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs777 View Post
Are you sure you're not getting HDR? The software had a quirk that when went into the action menu from an app it displays the Picture Mode of the last HDMI input played (not HDR - even though the app was using the HDR. I think it now shows Vivid. The real way to see if it's going through the HDR setting is to totally tweak an HDR setting (color to 90, etc.) and see if it jacks up the app picture of an Amazon HDR video. Once your sure or convinced it is using HDR, you can then dial it in. I've Been very impressed with The Man in the High Castle. The wild western pilot Edge is also very good in HDR.

Just comparing the 1080p version of the opening credits to The Man in the High Castle to the HDR version will show a big difference. It will be comparing 1080p to 4K, but from 10-12 feet that doesn't have near the impact HDR has. The lighting on the Monuments and especially the Nazi emblem is much brighter, tighter, and defined in HDR. The 1080p version is dull and washed out (you'd never notice unless you had the HDR version to compare it with).

Good luck - I hope your set is ok.
I think you are right...
Thanks man!
post #5714 of 14414 Old 12-08-2015, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by abracadaben View Post
Argh, can't seem to tweak my picture to my liking.

I watch in a dark room. Whites are too bright and blacks too blacks lol. Can't seem to know where to adjust to get more details in blacks and less brightness in whites. When raising a little the black levels then you can clearly notice the changes in brightness in black bands :-/.

I'd like a flatter picture. Its like peaking in both ends of the curve
I had a similar issue and have come up with the following ... keep in mind I have only had the tv 5 days...

I used Carlos's Daytime Settings with the following adjustments..
Color 60
Advanced contrast enhancer Medium
Auto Local Dimming High
x-tended Dynamic Range Medium
Color Space Auto
Live Color Low
Sharpness 60
Reality Creation Manual
Resolution 60
Mastered in 4k On
Random Noise Reduction Auto
Digital Noise Reduction Auto
Motion Flow Custom
Smoothness 1
Cinemotion High
------------------------------------------

I also played with the Football Mode and adjusted it down... I watch a lot of sports..
If anyones interested in that let me know...

I might be breaking some cardinal rules with the adjustments but they seem to work..

just trying to help..
post #5715 of 14414 Old 12-08-2015, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6065
it comes down to reference vs preference. Im tuned to the reference side, but end of the day, what matters is that it looks good to you.

I see a lot of posted settings that make me cringe, but it's not my job to judge if someone is happy.
m.r.h likes this.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
ATV4K / Uverse / Sony X800M2
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
post #5716 of 14414 Old 12-08-2015, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1870 Post(s)
Liked: 1291
Quote:
Team,

QUESTION:

Freddie
FIOS is hit or miss. If the content is good, the picture looks good. Bad content looks bad. I've found 1080i channels look much better than 720p ones.

I bought a mount from monoprice that works fine. Mine has arms. A fixed one that can handle the weight can probably be found for under $50. Arms are nice in that you can move the TV if needed, but the downside is with a very heavy TV, they have a tendency to droop a little. You can tilt the TV up, but it takes some trial and error to get the exact angle you want.

This one is tough to beat for the price...
http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=12986
Freddie Harb likes this.

Last edited by KidHorn; 12-08-2015 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Added link
post #5717 of 14414 Old 12-08-2015, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1291 Post(s)
Liked: 658
Quote:
It is the nature of current TV providers some are more compressed than others by the provider.

Quote:
QUESTION:

The only reason I got a full motion mount was so I could easily access the cables on the back. Basically, I can pull it forward change what I need to and then push it back.

Fixed vs tilting is more about the height of the TV vs the height of the sitting position. If you are mounting the TV at the same height as your sitting position then fixed is fine. If you are mounting it higher or lower you want a tilting mount.

The wall mounts on monoprice or amazon are usually the same or better quality than what you get at the store for 25% of the cost.
Freddie Harb likes this.
post #5718 of 14414 Old 12-08-2015, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Team,

QUESTION:

Freddie
I got a full motion (the monoprice one, rated 300lbs). I preferred the TV away from the wall/closer to me at same level as if it was on the multimedia console. But I have my center channel there so I can use the TV stand.... Had to hang it on the wall.

that thing is so heavy, you wont reall move it a lot beside accessing cables....

but I feel safer too. the mount is solid.
Freddie Harb likes this.
post #5719 of 14414 Old 12-08-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
it comes down to reference vs preference. Im tuned to the reference side, but end of the day, what matters is that it looks good to you.
Well said.

Back in the old days here at AVS such a statement would unleash a barrage of nasty criticism.
It was pretty ridiculous when someone tries to tell someone else what they can or cannot see or like.

HD AV and rcapprotti like this.
post #5720 of 14414 Old 12-08-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Well said.

Back in the old days here at AVS such a statement would unleash a barrage of nasty criticism.
It was pretty ridiculous when someone tries to tell someone else what they can or cannot see or like.
Im a huge proponent of a reference calibration, but, it's your $$$ not mine
arftech likes this.

post #5721 of 14414 Old 12-08-2015, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Im a huge proponent of a reference calibration, but, it's your $$$ not mine
Actually, I am having one done in January.

post #5722 of 14414 Old 12-08-2015, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Actually, I am having one done in January.
Speaking of this, can anyone make a recommendation for a calibrator?
I'm in Oregon.

After Googling, I noticed Best Buy offers ISF calibrations.
Can anyone attest to their skills?

Also, I noticed this fellow coming thru my area in January.
http://www.accucalhd.com/
Anybody know of him?

post #5723 of 14414 Old 12-08-2015, 05:29 PM

Quote:
I'm in Oregon.

Anybody know of him?
Chad B

post #5724 of 14414 Old 12-08-2015, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 1290 Post(s)
Liked: 2122
Don't go BB. There's a sticky in the Calibration forum to help locate calibrators in your area.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-di...post-here.html

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #5725 of 14414 Old 12-08-2015, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3860 Post(s)
Liked: 3815
Quote:
I'm in Oregon.

Anybody know of him?
Wifi_spy(Tyler Pruitt) he is a forum member

Chad is great but will most likely need other calibration customers for a tour.

Accucal is Jeff Meier also excellent
post #5726 of 14414 Old 12-08-2015, 10:17 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 11
950b is now $3999.00! What do yuse guys think: 950b or 930c (excluding the obvious diff. in HDR) Thanks!
post #5727 of 14414 Old 12-08-2015, 10:43 PM

Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Quoted: 12806 Post(s)
Liked: 12149
interesting tid bit about the sony 940c, CNET just published its review of the 65JS9500 today, and they had a sony 940c in studio. they measured 1271 nits on the sony 940c. only around 890 on the samsung. 1271 being the brightest tv to date I believe.
brickyardz likes this.

82Q90R*75Q9FN(RIP)*55C8OLED*Galaxy Note10+*Ub820 fed into Oppo 203*XB1X*4k DenonX4200

MASTER LIST OF HDR CONTENT THREAD HERE, UPDATED OFTEN
post #5728 of 14414 Old 12-08-2015, 10:50 PM

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I've owned both. Imo 950b much better since fald, and also smooth gradation funct on 950b which results in less compression artifacting.
post #5729 of 14414 Old 12-09-2015, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
interesting tid bit about the sony 940c, CNET just published its review of the 65JS9500 today, and they had a sony 940c in studio. they measured 1271 nits on the sony 940c. only around 890 on the samsung. 1271 being the brightest tv to date I believe.
370fL, wow. Wonder what the 930C will do. It is going to be less bright being sidelit.

post #5730 of 14414 Old 12-09-2015, 08:12 AM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 7385 Post(s)
Liked: 8263
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
The only problem is David never mentions the 940c. He constantly refers to the Sony 950c, a model that I don't believe exists. There is a 75" 850c, but no 950c.

If it's actually the 940c he's referring to (an odd mistake to make in that he uses the 950c model number so often), I'd disagree about the black levels. Sitting in the first row of the shootout, I'd say the two were close on black levels or, it seemed at times, the 940c had a slight edge.

I also found it odd that while extolling the virtues of OLED, he made no mention of the very well documented near-black issues of OLED.
defjamz and ray0414 like this.

Last edited by Ken Ross; 12-09-2015 at 08:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
940C , hdr , Sony , X930C , X940C

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page