**Official** Sony X930C / X940C Owners Thread - Page 223 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7015Likes

post #6661 of 14414 Old 01-13-2016, 03:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 152
so do we have confirmed info from sony that this years 940c will definitely get update to most current android os, or is it the range of promise/possible sony vapor promise?

the well documented issues with this current defect ridden os is enough to keep me away from trying to grab one of these models before they disappear.

the os deficiencies and lack of dv streaming support could force me into another year of waiting for these issues to forth themselves out.

the processing and and the flexibility of those killer external speakers are most appealing, especially if prices drop as they clear out remaining inventory.

Tough time to try and future proof and sort all this out with the all these issues still in flux.

know you guys,love this set, and
I'm a ready buyer if there were much more certainty out there.

may be just gust get the '16 oleds which has more stable os and both hdr 10 and DV locked in

But losing those 10" would make me wanting more.

decisions, decisions
Damn it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6662 of 14414 Old 01-13-2016, 03:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post
so do we have confirmed info from sony that this years 940c will definitely get update to most current android os, or is it the range of promise/possible sony vapor promise?

the well documented issues with this current defect ridden os is enough to keep me away from trying to grab one of these models before they disappear.

the os deficiencies and lack of dv streaming support could force me into another year of waiting for these issues to forth themselves out.

the processing and and the flexibility of those killer external speakers are most appealing, especially if prices drop as they clear out remaining inventory.

Tough time to try and future proof and sort all this out with the all these issues still in flux.

may be just gust get the '16 oleds which has more stable os and both hdr 10 and DV locked in

decisions, decisions
Damn it
I know some have had issues with the OS. But I have never had an issue with my OS since I bought the tv in June. I take that back. Once I had a Amazon issue where it just stopped/froze and the tv Rebooted. But that's all since I bought it.
brickyardz, marcuslaw and jeffs777 like this.

Sony 940C*Sony HX909*Samsung K8500*Yamaha 3050*klipsch front RP-280's*rear RF-3's*center RP-450C*Sides RP-280's*front heights RP-140's*overhead 5650cii's*SVS-PB2000x4*emotiva XPA-5*Yamaha YSP-1600 sound bar*Sony HT-CT370 sound bar
post #6663 of 14414 Old 01-13-2016, 04:12 AM
Rabid 3-D Aficionado

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by navoid View Post
I just received my Sony x940c. I just wanted to chime in that this is by far the best tv I have seen. i don't watch much 4K outside of demos, so the majority of my use is with Hulu and Netflix as well as discs and downloads. The picture quality on these run of the mill sources is amazing. For someone like me - this tv looks like magic.
Don't overlook its 3-D capability. It's the best out there.
kelon and jeffs777 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6664 of 14414 Old 01-13-2016, 04:16 AM
Rabid 3-D Aficionado

Quote:

decisions, decisions
Damn it
I just don't get this. I have never had any OS performance issues with my 940C; a glitch with an app once or twice? Yes, but that's it. Heck it happens FAR more on my Android smartphone. I know this comment isn't contributing much, but I feel this thread needs to reflect positive experiences like mine also.
post #6665 of 14414 Old 01-13-2016, 05:03 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcuslaw View Post
I'm waiting on a copy of Gravity in 3d on bluray to test out the 3d. I can only imagine with a screen this bright, 3d will be striking.
jeffs777 likes this.
post #6666 of 14414 Old 01-13-2016, 05:16 AM
Rabid 3-D Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by navoid View Post
I'm waiting on a copy of Gravity in 3d on bluray to test out the 3d. I can only imagine with a screen this bright, 3d will be striking.
Gravity is a great place to start but don't stop there. Get all the titles on Ron Epstein's HTF TOP 30 3D BLU-RAY RELEASES (I'd add any one of the Lichtmond series too). You're never going to get tired of seeing other's jaws hanging in awe.
brickyardz and jeffs777 like this.
post #6667 of 14414 Old 01-13-2016, 05:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6065
To many personal opinions/agendas getting in the way of UHD right now, including professionals. Ill wait until I have discs and my Samsung player in hand before I form an opinion. Especially when so many in the industry are talking about the technical and visual advantages, including directors and colorists once they have gotten to use the product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richard View Post
I'm wondering if the DV HDR in the movie he used could have been an "earlier" attempt at HDR grading or if the DV HDR on that particular movie simply wasn't very well done. Maybe they put to much emphasis on the peak brightness of "specular highlights"? Just a thought.

We do know that HDR involves a lot more than a simple increase in peak brightness or the brightness of specular highlights (such as increased details in both bright and dark areas of the picture, brighter, more saturated colors, and so on). Maybe Tom wasn't really looking for those types of improvements?

Richard
King Richard likes this.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
ATV4K / Uverse / Sony X800M2
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP

Last edited by gadgtfreek; 01-13-2016 at 06:02 AM.
post #6668 of 14414 Old 01-13-2016, 05:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:

decisions, decisions
Damn it
As reported not everybody has OS issues which is strange because I would imagine we are all on the latest firmware update? Unfortunately I still get an occasional picture freeze and shortly the TV goes into a reboot. This seems to happen mainly when I'm streaming from Amazon or Netflix. I have to admit I get a little anxious when this happens thinking the picture will not come back on, but I have always managed to get it back or fix the issue with either with a soft reboot or once with a Factory Reset. It has been reported here on this forum that a few people who were having similar issues just hardwired there modem/router and after that never had a problem and also some did the factory reset and that also fixed the problem. On a positive note this TV has an excellent picture, very nice sounding speakers and I am hoping that future firmware updates will fix it. I can live with this until that time comes.
C-Dub006 likes this.
post #6669 of 14414 Old 01-13-2016, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1695 Post(s)
Liked: 1290
Quote:
Would you have any examples? I don't have a Blu-ray player hooked up to it (although I could). Are there any YouTube videos?
post #6670 of 14414 Old 01-13-2016, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1695 Post(s)
Quote:
I just don't get this. I have never had any OS performance issues with my 940C; a glitch with an app once or twice? Yes, but that's it. Heck it happens FAR more on my Android smartphone. I know this comment isn't contributing much, but I feel this thread needs to reflect positive experiences like mine also.
I'm wondering if it depends on other factors, i.e., wired/wireless, internet speed, etc.

I'm wired with a 300 Gbps download speed and have had very few issues. I've had to reboot a couple of times, but it's a computer. What would you expect?
C-Dub006 and marcuslaw like this.
post #6671 of 14414 Old 01-13-2016, 07:57 AM
Rabid 3-D Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCsoftball7 View Post
Would you have any examples? I don't have a Blu-ray player hooked up to it (although I could). Are there any YouTube videos?
I have been most impressed by IMAX: Hubble (also for its audio). IMAX: Space Station is pretty good too as are any one of the three Lichtmonds (I'm partial to Universe of Light). But again, any one off Epstein's Top 30 list will impress you. Why? I rarely see ghosting and when I do, it's almost always inherent in the source. The image is, generally speaking, extremely clean. The 940C's exquisite ability to handle blacks (Potter: Deathly Hallows II Ch. 12 comes to mind) with its 128 zones and wicked dimming algorithm along with cornea burning brightness with the most challenging material means that it is uniquely equipped to display 3-D.
CCsoftball7 likes this.
post #6672 of 14414 Old 01-13-2016, 08:05 AM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 7385 Post(s)
Liked: 8262
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richard View Post
I'm wondering if the DV HDR in the movie he used could have been an "earlier" attempt at HDR grading or if the DV HDR on that particular movie simply wasn't very well done. Maybe they put to much emphasis on the peak brightness of "specular highlights"? Just a thought.

We do know that HDR involves a lot more than a simple increase in peak brightness or the brightness of specular highlights (such as increased details in both bright and dark areas of the picture, brighter, more saturated colors, and so on). Maybe Tom wasn't really looking for those types of improvements?

Richard
Rich, Tom is a really seasoned video reviewer. He's found flaws in displays that seem to elude most other reviewers. Could he have missed those things? Possibly, but knowing Tom, not likely since I'm sure Tom knows of all the promised improvements in HDR10/DV. Perhaps it was that very failure to deliver that caught his eye.

I know we've all been told of the improvements beyond peak brightness & specular highlights, but I've yet to see it in most material thus far. That's not to say I haven't seen some impressive HDR10 material, I have, but I'm not sure it's everything we're told it is. It wouldn't be the first time that a technology promised something that wasn't fully delivered.
post #6673 of 14414 Old 01-13-2016, 08:10 AM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 7385 Post(s)
Liked: 8262
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudog2 View Post
I know some have had issues with the OS. But I have never had an issue with my OS since I bought the tv in June. I take that back. Once I had a Amazon issue where it just stopped/froze and the tv Rebooted. But that's all since I bought it.
Mine has also become very stable and trouble-free with the OS updates. At this point I wouldn't even point to the OS as a deficiency with my set, although I know some are still having issues. We've watched a considerable amount of Netflix & Amazon 4K material and haven't experienced any service interruptions, buffering or even lip synch issues.
post #6674 of 14414 Old 01-13-2016, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 40
My 930 has become more stable due to a factory reset and recent updates. I was having the same freezing problems as well as horrible responsiveness. The freezing is minimal now but does still occasionally occur. That said, I've never owned a new computer, tablet, phone etc that doesn't require resetting every now and then. The responsiveness is also much more consistent but I wish it was more snappy - still feels like just enough lag to make it noticeable.
post #6675 of 14414 Old 01-13-2016, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlexLinear View Post
My 930 has become more stable due to a factory reset and recent updates. I was having the same freezing problems as well as horrible responsiveness. The freezing is minimal now but does still occasionally occur. That said, I've never owned a new computer, tablet, phone etc that doesn't require resetting every now and then. The responsiveness is also much more consistent but I wish it was more snappy - still feels like just enough lag to make it noticeable.
Mine has been great since the last update. And I have kept my wifi on and connected.

post #6676 of 14414 Old 01-13-2016, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexlinear View Post
my 930 has become more stable due to a factory reset and recent updates. I was having the same freezing problems as well as horrible responsiveness. The freezing is minimal now but does still occasionally occur. That said, i've never owned a new computer, tablet, phone etc that doesn't require resetting every now and then. The responsiveness is also much more consistent but i wish it was more snappy - still feels like just enough lag to make it noticeable.
android
post #6677 of 14414 Old 01-13-2016, 11:03 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6838 Post(s)
Liked: 6835
Quote:
940C will go down as one of the best sets ever made......
post #6678 of 14414 Old 01-13-2016, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I'm truly amazed by the pic on my 75X940C that i received last Friday. I vascillated for 6 months on which set to buy & i'm thrilled with my decision.
I sent amazon a message yesterday about the lack of Dolby Digital 5.1 audio on Sony Android TV sets- said i enjoy their nice UHD streams & original shows but its a shame i can only listen in stereo sound. Got quick reply & responded to them again asking for implementaiton date & why it's taking so long- said they'd forward to their dvlp folks- thinking it couldn't hurt if those of us with prime & android sony sets send similar email about concern of lack of 5.1 sound on Sony android TVs .

Last edited by bgrpph; 01-13-2016 at 02:08 PM.
post #6679 of 14414 Old 01-13-2016, 02:53 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 5299 Post(s)
Liked: 3037
Since going to the FireTV 4K box, my problems with the 940 has lessened considerably.

post #6680 of 14414 Old 01-13-2016, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
940C will go down as one of the best sets ever made......
Plan on making it mine once price goes down more; I like the speakers. I currently have the 65x900b.
post #6681 of 14414 Old 01-13-2016, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Has anyone evaluated the shootout settings? A lot of stuff is off and just doesn't seem right? Did anyone find a good motion setting for movies or uhd content? I'm still dinking around, but hard to test these things and not know what to look for exactly.

Thanks all,

Dk
post #6682 of 14414 Old 01-13-2016, 08:09 PM

I got mine calibrated, not a fan of using other settings.

As far as motion, here is what I know:

Clear - Combo of black frame insertion and frame creation; max motion rez but kills light output due to black frames
Smooth - Frame creation; 600 lines of motion rez and way too soapy for 24hz
Standard - Frame creation; 600 lines of motion rez and looks good on 60hz and 24hz to me; what I use
TrueCinema/Off - I see some blur on 60hz, but it looks pretty good on 24hz

post #6683 of 14414 Old 01-13-2016, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Thanks gadgtfreek,

My calibration is coming around the 20th, so very soon. Looking forward to seeing the difference.
GOBAYS likes this.
post #6684 of 14414 Old 01-13-2016, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCsoftball7 View Post
I'm wondering if it depends on other factors, i.e., wired/wireless, internet speed, etc.

I'm wired with a 300 Gbps download speed and have had very few issues. I've had to reboot a couple of times, but it's a computer. What would you expect?
Have 300/300, and while the set is more stable with the latest update, it still has issues. Seems to get worse the more hours the set is on in one stretch.

At least now when the remote stops responding and/or menus get slow, leaving it alone for a few minutes tends to correct it. I had the Sony 900a before this set, and never, ever, ever had issues with it (Non-Android OS).

I think people have become accustom to buggy software and have just accepted it as a fact of life... A TV should not need rebooting. Right now, 4K is still a bit of a "geek" purchase, and geeks will put up with a lot, but as 4K becomes more mainstream, Sony needs to get the Android TV OS sorted.
post #6685 of 14414 Old 01-13-2016, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Got my calibration booked for Feb 8th. Looking forward to it.
brickyardz and gadgtfreek like this.
post #6686 of 14414 Old 01-13-2016, 10:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I don't like the speakers on my x94c, and that's the reason I didn't even consider it when looking for a new TV.
But when the OLED turned out to be a little junk for the $$$$, and the exorbitant cost of the Samsung 78" JS9500.
A friend who works at Sony said he could get me the X94C for ~ US$4000, it came on the radar.
The friend didn't come through and I paid full retail.

Getting back to the speakers, I don't use them but I like the way it frames 21:9 movies.
post #6687 of 14414 Old 01-13-2016, 10:43 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Only issues I've really had as far as software is concerned is that Amazon got stuck on the spinning circle twice. Other than that pretty solid, certainly see how other could be frustrated though. My TV has been hard wired since day one though, don't know if that helps or hurts.
HDTV JJ likes this.
post #6688 of 14414 Old 01-14-2016, 01:25 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 5299 Post(s)
Liked: 3037
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsessler View Post
A TV should not need rebooting. Right now, 4K is still a bit of a "geek" purchase, and geeks will put up with a lot, but as 4K becomes more mainstream, Sony needs to get the Android TV OS sorted.
Amen to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Clear - Combo of black frame insertion and frame creation; max motion rez but kills light output due to black frames
Smooth - Frame creation; 600 lines of motion rez and way too soapy for 24hz
Standard - Frame creation; 600 lines of motion rez and looks good on 60hz and 24hz to me; what I use
TrueCinema/Off - I see some blur on 60hz, but it looks pretty good on 24hz
Where did you get this info?
I can find very little explanation of the 940c's feature set anywhere....

post #6689 of 14414 Old 01-14-2016, 06:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1866 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkyork View Post
Has anyone evaluated the shootout settings? A lot of stuff is off and just doesn't seem right? Did anyone find a good motion setting for movies or uhd content? I'm still dinking around, but hard to test these things and not know what to look for exactly.

Thanks all,

Dk
I've tried many different settings and I've settled on out of the box cinema home. It generally looks great except sometimes the white is a little overpowering. I've reached a point where I just want to enjoy content and not worry about it displaying optimally at all times.
dkyork likes this.
post #6690 of 14414 Old 01-14-2016, 06:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1866 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pencreus View Post
Only issues I've really had as far as software is concerned is that Amazon got stuck on the spinning circle twice. Other than that pretty solid, certainly see how other could be frustrated though. My TV has been hard wired since day one though, don't know if that helps or hurts.
I've had that a few times. Another issue I have recurrently is YouTube displaying everything in HDR. I can fix with resetting things in the service menu but I shouldn't have to do this.

Sony is clearly doing a poor job of quality control with their software. I assume they're cutting costs by hiring low wage employees and you get what you pay for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
940C , hdr , Sony , X930C , X940C

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page