**Official** Sony X930C / X940C Owners Thread - Page 224 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7015Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #6691 of 14413 Old 01-14-2016, 07:10 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 33,212
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7378 Post(s)
Liked: 8256
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post
I've tried many different settings and I've settled on out of the box cinema home. It generally looks great except sometimes the white is a little overpowering. I've reached a point where I just want to enjoy content and not worry about it displaying optimally at all times.
If you haven't already, drop your local dimming to the mid level, not high. At high you'll get some clipped whites at times. Mid will bring everything back to where is should be.
Ken Ross is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6692 of 14413 Old 01-14-2016, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 12,247
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6063
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
Amen to that.



Where did you get this info?
I can find very little explanation of the 940c's feature set anywhere....
I always read current reviews from Cnet and HDTV test, because they test motion. And always look at the prior year models because very little generally changes.

Using side scrolling spears and munsil patterns you can easily see off/truecinema worse with double imaging (300 lines motion rez) than standard (600 lines). Clear is out because it wipes out brightness too much. Dont think it would work with HDR content.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
ATV4K / Uverse / Sony X800M2
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
gadgtfreek is offline  
post #6693 of 14413 Old 01-14-2016, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CCsoftball7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 3,702
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1695 Post(s)
Liked: 1290
Regarding software...everyone keeps knocking Sony for buggy Android software. Just remember, there are apps developed by Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc. that are also in the equation. I'm not sure the issues reported are all specifically OS related.
Ken Ross and Z1-B like this.
CCsoftball7 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6694 of 14413 Old 01-14-2016, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 12,247
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6063
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCsoftball7 View Post
Regarding software...everyone keeps knocking Sony for buggy Android software. Just remember, there are apps developed by Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc. that are also in the equation. I'm not sure the issues reported are all specifically OS related.
I can say since updating the latest FW recently, that had already been out awhile, I have not had one freeze or hang. I am connected to wifi, and I dont use apps.

My process is turn tv on, check settings, and watch tv. I then turn tv off. I was having freezing just looking in menu's, and sometimes a black screen when a 24hz source would start.
CCsoftball7 likes this.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
ATV4K / Uverse / Sony X800M2
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
gadgtfreek is offline  
post #6695 of 14413 Old 01-14-2016, 07:25 AM
Member
 
vman83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkyork View Post
I swear my video settings are changing randomly.... I have one hdmi input from my reciever and the values Carlos gave us keep reverting to other ones. Wtf over?
You're not the only one pal. Mine randomly change too. Luckily ive spent that much time pissing about with the settings i know them off by heart so it only takes a min to re configure but it's still a ball ache. Im having to constantly check to see if the settings and picture mode are right everytime i want to watch a film or whatever.

Although i still love my x930c im starting to wish i had waited and bought the new models this year. Ive hardly watched anything in 4k other than some demos. There isnt much content to get excited about as of yet in 4k. Im one of the few that like the speakers on the tv, the sound is superb. Its in my bedroom so a 5.1 setup isnt really suitable. With all this UHD alliance and dolby vision talk i think i shot my load by buying last year. The only major thing that bothers me about my tv is the colour banding. Seems to be the only thing that sticks out like a sore thumb. I cant think what settings would alleviate the issue other than messing about in the advanced colour settings.
vman83 is offline  
post #6696 of 14413 Old 01-14-2016, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CCsoftball7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 3,702
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1695 Post(s)
Liked: 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
I can say since updating the latest FW recently, that had already been out awhile, I have not had one freeze or hang. I am connected to wifi, and I dont use apps.

My process is turn tv on, check settings, and watch tv. I then turn tv off. I was having freezing just looking in menu's, and sometimes a black screen when a 24hz source would start.
One other thing that might be lost as well, I have a 940c...If I recall correctly, you have a 930c. I'm quite sure they run two different OS as well (not exact copies). I would be curious to see how that split is on the OS issues.
CCsoftball7 is offline  
post #6697 of 14413 Old 01-14-2016, 07:46 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Okay folks...I have a connection at a local Best Buy....I have my 3 final buying options on the table and I have to act fast if I am to consider 2 of them as they are Display Models and others are interested....I would love your opinions...please keep in mind a couple key variables that play into the equation: my viewing distance is 15 ft to my farthest seating and about 10 feet to the closest. I am looking for opinions on "Best Overall Picture Quality and Viewing Experience for the Money". So I know that the 940C may trump the other options in PQ but please keep in mind cost and overall value for the money. Thank you!!

Option 1: Best Buy Display Model 65" 930C - $1999.99 - seems to be in great shape - no documentation, box or 3D glasses...coming right off the wall
Option 2: Best Buy Display Model 65" 950B - $2499.99 - has a small "chip" out of the outside of the bezel - barely noticable - picture looks amazing - no documentation, box or 3D glasses - coming right off wall
Option 3: Brand New in Box 75" 940C (shipped and delivered from Best Buy) - $5500 if I put it on a BB card and possible Rewards back...have to finalize it with manager...free delivery


The 940C has been my first choice for quite some time..but a FALD 950B for $2500? The only thing lacking it seems is full HDR compatibility and the speakers of the 940..and of course the extra screen real estate...in person PQ is amazing...and 3K less??? I hate decisions lol...

Last edited by VeteranNewbie88; 01-14-2016 at 08:13 AM.
VeteranNewbie88 is offline  
post #6698 of 14413 Old 01-14-2016, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CCsoftball7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 3,702
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1695 Post(s)
Liked: 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeteranNewbie88 View Post
Okay folks...I have a connection at a local Best Buy....I have my 3 final buying options on the table and I have to act fast if I am to consider 2 of them as they are Display Models and others are interested....I would love your opinions...please keep in mind a couple key variables that play into the equation: my viewing distance is 15 ft to my farthest seating and about 10 feet to the closest. I am looking for opinions on "Best Overall Picture Quality and Viewing Experience for the Money". So I know that the 940C may trump the other options in PQ but please keep in mind cost and overall value for the money. Thank you!!

Option 1: Best Buy Display Model 65" 930C - $1999.99 - seems to be in great shape - no documentation, box or 3D glasses...coming right off the wall
Option 2: Best Buy Display Model 65" 950B - $2499.99 - has a small "chip" out of the outside of the bezel - barely noticable - picture looks amazing - no documentation, box or 3D glasses - coming right off wall
Option 3: Brand New in Box 75" 940C (shipped and delivered from Best Buy) - $5500 if I put it on a BB card and possible Rewards back...have to finalize it with manager...free delivery
940C - hands down. It is probably the best TV out there in my opinion.
HDTV JJ likes this.
CCsoftball7 is offline  
post #6699 of 14413 Old 01-14-2016, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 12,247
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6063
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCsoftball7 View Post
One other thing that might be lost as well, I have a 940c...If I recall correctly, you have a 930c. I'm quite sure they run two different OS as well (not exact copies). I would be curious to see how that split is on the OS issues.
I would say you have background FW that is different because of the FALD controlling, etc... But arent the menu options and features the same on both Android OS's? Could be that both displays run the same Android for apps and user settings, and have background software for the different tech features. Not sure though, but I would think it's:

Apps - Same
Menu system - Same
Hardware - Different

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
ATV4K / Uverse / Sony X800M2
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
gadgtfreek is offline  
post #6700 of 14413 Old 01-14-2016, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
brickyardz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Palm Harbor,FL
Posts: 1,569
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeteranNewbie88 View Post
Okay folks...I have a connection at a local Best Buy....I have my 3 final buying options on the table and I have to act fast if I am to consider 2 of them as they are Display Models and others are interested....I would love your opinions...please keep in mind a couple key variables that play into the equation: my viewing distance is 15 ft to my farthest seating and about 10 feet to the closest. I am looking for opinions on "Best Overall Picture Quality and Viewing Experience for the Money". So I know that the 940C may trump the other options in PQ but please keep in mind cost and overall value for the money. Thank you!!

Option 1: Best Buy Display Model 65" 930C - $1999.99 - seems to be in great shape - no documentation, box or 3D glasses...coming right off the wall
Option 2: Best Buy Display Model 65" 950B - $2499.99 - has a small "chip" out of the outside of the bezel - barely noticable - picture looks amazing - no documentation, box or 3D glasses - coming right off wall
Option 3: Brand New in Box 75" 940C (shipped and delivered from Best Buy) - $5500 if I put it on a BB card and possible Rewards back...have to finalize it with manager...free delivery


The 940C has been my first choice for quite some time..but a FALD 950B for $2500? The only thing lacking it seems is full HDR compatibility and the speakers of the 940..and of course the extra screen real estate...in person PQ is amazing...and 3K less??? I hate decisions lol...
Go with the 940C.
CCsoftball7 likes this.
brickyardz is offline  
post #6701 of 14413 Old 01-14-2016, 08:39 AM
Senior Member
 
Chriscorv58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Granby CT, USA
Posts: 330
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 82
If it's not going to make you broke, swing for the 940c.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
CCsoftball7 likes this.

Sony 940c 75" Display, Marantz AV8801, HTPC, JTR 215RM Mains & JTR 210RM Center, DIY Surrounds, Crown Xti & Cdi Amps, Seaton Submersive HP+ Master and Slave.
Chriscorv58 is offline  
post #6702 of 14413 Old 01-14-2016, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 33,212
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7378 Post(s)
Liked: 8256
940c...see a pattern here?
Ken Ross is offline  
post #6703 of 14413 Old 01-14-2016, 08:49 AM
Senior Member
 
Bejoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 384
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Smile New owner of 930C

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman83 View Post
You're not the only one pal. Mine randomly change too. Luckily ive spent that much time pissing about with the settings i know them off by heart so it only takes a min to re configure but it's still a ball ache. Im having to constantly check to see if the settings and picture mode are right everytime i want to watch a film or whatever.

Although i still love my x930c im starting to wish i had waited and bought the new models this year. Ive hardly watched anything in 4k other than some demos. There isnt much content to get excited about as of yet in 4k. Im one of the few that like the speakers on the tv, the sound is superb. Its in my bedroom so a 5.1 setup isnt really suitable. With all this UHD alliance and dolby vision talk i think i shot my load by buying last year. The only major thing that bothers me about my tv is the colour banding. Seems to be the only thing that sticks out like a sore thumb. I cant think what settings would alleviate the issue other than messing about in the advanced colour settings.

I just got my SONY X930C on Saturday (1/9/16). I am NEW to this thread and this is my first posting. I was debating between buying the Sony XBR-65X930C and the Samsung UN65JS9500. So far, I really like the SONY and have not experienced any OS issues. I did the software update yesterday, and tried out Netflix 4K and Amazon 4K HDR. I was not impressed with Netflix. Amazon looked amazing though! I also tried Ultraflix which seemed ok. Amazon was the best so far. I am coming from a Panasonic 4K TC-L65WT600 that had 3 repair issues, so Best Buy said I could swap it out for the SONY x930C or the SAMSUNG js9500. (luckily I purchased the Geek squad warranty with my Panasonic 4K so it is no cost out of pocket). I still have until Feb 12 to decide to keep the sony, or exchange it for the samsung. I read this entire forum over the past couple of days and it seems like it is the solid choice, minus the android issues that some people are experiencing. I also have until Feb 12 to purchase a new 5 year Geek squad warranty for $599.99, or I can buy the 4 year square trade from Costco for only $89.

see link:

http://www.costco.com/SquareTrade-3-....11680336.html

Anyway, I was wondering if I should keep this and buy the warranty, or if I should try the samsung to make sure. I spent $3999 for my Panasonic 4K so I have up to that much to use at Best Buy for my replacement tv. I can also get a different SONY and pay the difference, but I didnt want to spend too much money out of pocket.

Thanks!
Bejoy is online now  
post #6704 of 14413 Old 01-14-2016, 09:29 AM
Senior Member
 
Bejoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 384
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 146
I was also wondering, if it is recommended to calibrate ths XBR-65X930C? (My panasonic 4K that was returned was calibrated and it had a better picture than this new X930C on normal tv viewing.) I read on here that the monthly updates and factory resets may or may not wipe out what is done with a calibration?

I noticed Samsung is probablyfirst to release the 4K blu-ray player. Think it is a good idea to pre-order for $399? Or wait until SONY releases their version?


Thanks!
Bejoy is online now  
post #6705 of 14413 Old 01-14-2016, 09:53 AM
Senior Member
 
jsessler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Southern California
Posts: 222
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post
I've had that a few times. Another issue I have recurrently is YouTube displaying everything in HDR. I can fix with resetting things in the service menu but I shouldn't have to do this.

Sony is clearly doing a poor job of quality control with their software. I assume they're cutting costs by hiring low wage employees and you get what you pay for.
I think there are two/three issues here with the software.

1. Android TV platform - like android in general, it's not as stable as it should/could be as there is 1 part Google and 1 part manufacture involved.

2. Sony Android drivers for TV - apart from the Android TV base, Sony had to have someone create the interface drivers for the TV. Given most of my issues have been with the TV interaction e.g. slow remote, delay in volume, or input changing issues, I suspect a lot of issues are a side-effect of the Sony TV drivers.

3. Apps - I would expect given these apps exist already for Android, and for a long time, that they would be more stable. That said, given that these apps now need to support 4K and HDR playback I wonder if there are some unforeseen challenges that effect stability e.g. interface with Sony's driver to tell it to switch to HDR. That said, having to go find the running app in the menu, force quit it, then clear cache, is a terrible experience for a regular customer.
Z1-B likes this.
jsessler is offline  
post #6706 of 14413 Old 01-14-2016, 10:03 AM
Senior Member
 
Donloz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: GTA
Posts: 348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCsoftball7 View Post
Regarding software...everyone keeps knocking Sony for buggy Android software. Just remember, there are apps developed by Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc. that are also in the equation. I'm not sure the issues reported are all specifically OS related.
The OS on the 930c IS STILL BUGGY. The apps lock up and stop working, You Tube, Netflix. There is NO audio icon in the NF app. These apps work perfectly when I run them through my PS3 or OPPO 105. The only time I use the Sony app is if I need to look at something in 4K. I hope with the new OS that will be used in the 2016 sets, fix the issues we have in the 2015 sets. It is the Best TV I've had in the bedroom. I just hate being a beta tester for Sony. Anyone hear of the next update??
On a other note; I received my 4K cable box from Rogers, and it works quite well.

Cheers
Z1-B likes this.

Sony- 75Z PS3 / Anthem- D2v.3d A5 amp / Bryston- 7Bsst2 x 2 / Torus- AVR2-20 / cables- PS-Audio AC12 x 3 amps / Ultralink- TOO many
Paradigm- SIGs S8v3 C5v1 ADP3v1 Reference- CC490v5 x 2 SUB15 / DIY- Custom Stand
OPPO-205 / URC- MSC400 MX980 4 Light switches

Every day above ground is a good day....
Donloz is offline  
post #6707 of 14413 Old 01-14-2016, 10:24 AM
Member
 
vman83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bejoy View Post
I just got my SONY X930C on Saturday (1/9/16). I am NEW to this thread and this is my first posting. I was debating between buying the Sony XBR-65X930C and the Samsung UN65JS9500. So far, I really like the SONY and have not experienced any OS issues. I did the software update yesterday, and tried out Netflix 4K and Amazon 4K HDR. I was not impressed with Netflix. Amazon looked amazing though! I also tried Ultraflix which seemed ok. Amazon was the best so far. I am coming from a Panasonic 4K TC-L65WT600 that had 3 repair issues, so Best Buy said I could swap it out for the SONY x930C or the SAMSUNG js9500. (luckily I purchased the Geek squad warranty with my Panasonic 4K so it is no cost out of pocket). I still have until Feb 12 to decide to keep the sony, or exchange it for the samsung. I read this entire forum over the past couple of days and it seems like it is the solid choice, minus the android issues that some people are experiencing. I also have until Feb 12 to purchase a new 5 year Geek squad warranty for $599.99, or I can buy the 4 year square trade from Costco for only $89.

Anyway, I was wondering if I should keep this and buy the warranty, or if I should try the samsung to make sure. I spent $3999 for my Panasonic 4K so I have up to that much to use at Best Buy for my replacement tv. I can also get a different SONY and pay the difference, but I didnt want to spend too much money out of pocket.

Thanks!
From my experience and what ive read i think the sony is the better tv. Have you read over on rtings? The review there made my mind up. Other than the android issues its a great tv. If you're still not sure wait and buy the new sony tvs when they come out if thats a option at all.
vman83 is offline  
post #6708 of 14413 Old 01-14-2016, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mt14942's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Pembroke Pines, Florida
Posts: 2,311
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCsoftball7 View Post
Regarding software...everyone keeps knocking Sony for buggy Android software. Just remember, there are apps developed by Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc. that are also in the equation. I'm not sure the issues reported are all specifically OS related.



Since thepicture freeze issue happens on all 3 streaming apps that I use and as I mentionedit has happened once or twice when watching DTV I think I can rule out the appsas being the problem However even though I am showing good speed from mymodem/router and the TV in the settings menu under status shows a good andsometimes it reads excellent connection I haven’t ruled out that the modemrouter could be the culprit. Also a couple of times in the TV menu the statushas read not connected but in a second or so it would correct & showconnected. This is another reason that makes me think the problem is OS related,but there are people on this forum who said after hardwiring the issue wentaway. I guess I could try hardwiring my modem/router. Is it as easy to do thisas just plugging it in to an a/c outlet and connecting it to the TV with an Ethernetcable? Or do I also have to make a change in the TV menu?
mt14942 is offline  
post #6709 of 14413 Old 01-14-2016, 10:27 AM
Member
 
vman83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bejoy View Post
I was also wondering, if it is recommended to calibrate ths XBR-65X930C? (My panasonic 4K that was returned was calibrated and it had a better picture than this new X930C on normal tv viewing.) I read on here that the monthly updates and factory resets may or may not wipe out what is done with a calibration?

I noticed Samsung is probablyfirst to release the 4K blu-ray player. Think it is a good idea to pre-order for $399? Or wait until SONY releases their version?


Thanks!
Definitely get it calibrated, either by someone professional or find some settings on here or on rtings.com and have a play yourself. Use cinema pro and cinema home as night and day viewing. Adjust the backlight as necessary. It will improve the picture quality a lot from my experience. Look for carlos's shootout settings and tweak to whatever looks good for you
CCsoftball7 likes this.
vman83 is offline  
post #6710 of 14413 Old 01-14-2016, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 12,247
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bejoy View Post
I was also wondering, if it is recommended to calibrate ths XBR-65X930C? (My panasonic 4K that was returned was calibrated and it had a better picture than this new X930C on normal tv viewing.) I read on here that the monthly updates and factory resets may or may not wipe out what is done with a calibration?

I noticed Samsung is probablyfirst to release the 4K blu-ray player. Think it is a good idea to pre-order for $399? Or wait until SONY releases their version?


Thanks!
Mine was calibrated and it made a very nice improvement. My settings have not been reset with a FW update, but you can reenter them if they were. Chad B, a calibrator, tested a display before and after a FW update reentering settings and they results were the same.

Sony will not likely have a player until late year, so if you want to jump on the bandwagon in early March, the Samsung is the ONLY option.
CCsoftball7 and Z1-B like this.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
ATV4K / Uverse / Sony X800M2
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
gadgtfreek is offline  
post #6711 of 14413 Old 01-14-2016, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CCsoftball7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 3,702
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1695 Post(s)
Liked: 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 View Post
I guess I could try hardwiring my modem/router. Is it as easy to do thisas just plugging it in to an a/c outlet and connecting it to the TV with an Ethernetcable? Or do I also have to make a change in the TV menu?
Simply hard-wiring it should do the trick. I'm curious if you see improvements after hard-wiring.
CCsoftball7 is offline  
post #6712 of 14413 Old 01-14-2016, 11:47 AM
Member
 
scei159's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 158
I have found the panel using Sony 65X930C, is 10 bit:

http://www.panelook.com/T650QVN04.0%...iew_24161.html

But it also shows the dates of manufacture: 2015Q1, 2016 Q1, and it is in production status now, maybe for X930D/940D?
gadgtfreek likes this.

Last edited by scei159; 01-14-2016 at 11:51 AM.
scei159 is offline  
post #6713 of 14413 Old 01-14-2016, 12:01 PM
Member
 
kelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkyork View Post
I swear my video settings are changing randomly.... I have one hdmi input from my reciever and the values Carlos gave us keep reverting to other ones. Wtf over?
This is happening to me on my 940C. I had an issue this morning where I wasn't receiving a signal via HDMI from any source, powered down completely and restarted and it began working, but the Action menu wouldn't come up (kept saying "Powering on. Please wait..."), which I had to do a factory reset to resolve. Once I dialed in all the settings again, I noticed that whenever I changed color temp. settings in one mode, it was changing them in others as well. Doesn't seem to be retaining color temperature settings in more than one mode at the moment. This is the first issue I've had with the TV but it's definitely annoying.
kelon is offline  
post #6714 of 14413 Old 01-14-2016, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 12,247
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6063
Quote:
Originally Posted by scei159 View Post
I have found the panel using Sony 65X930C, is 10 bit:

http://www.panelook.com/T650QVN04.0%...iew_24161.html

But it also shows the dates of manufacture: 2015Q1, 2016 Q1, and it is in production status now, maybe for X930D/940D?
Id bet the 930C and 930D are similar.

Thanks for finding this new info.

I was kinda hoping that at this point in time and price that the 930C was not 8 bit + dither
scei159 likes this.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
ATV4K / Uverse / Sony X800M2
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
gadgtfreek is offline  
post #6715 of 14413 Old 01-14-2016, 01:08 PM
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 34,843
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5299 Post(s)
Liked: 3037
For those having problems with Apps, I recommend not using the ones in the Sonys and use an external device instead.
There are several available now that can do 4K.



Z1-B likes this.
oink is offline  
post #6716 of 14413 Old 01-14-2016, 01:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Chriscorv58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Granby CT, USA
Posts: 330
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 82
I'll be using my Xbox one for 3d BluRay and 4k Netflix not sure if amazon has the app on Xbox but at least Netflix is covered. Also going to use my HTPC For xbmc.
Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Sony 940c 75" Display, Marantz AV8801, HTPC, JTR 215RM Mains & JTR 210RM Center, DIY Surrounds, Crown Xti & Cdi Amps, Seaton Submersive HP+ Master and Slave.
Chriscorv58 is offline  
post #6717 of 14413 Old 01-14-2016, 03:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mt14942's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Pembroke Pines, Florida
Posts: 2,311
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCsoftball7 View Post
Simply hard-wiring it should do the trick. I'm curious if you see improvements after hard-wiring.

I tried to do this by plugging it in to a nearby a/c outlet and connecting the modem/router tothe TV with an Ethernet cable but it did not work. I got a message “Not connected to the internet". I tried using my streaming apps and could not connect. Am I not doing it correctly or do I need to make a setting change in the settings menu?
mt14942 is offline  
post #6718 of 14413 Old 01-14-2016, 03:34 PM
Member
 
CSPerera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Someone help I cant seem to get a 3d signal via my receiver. Does anyone now to get it working?
CSPerera is offline  
post #6719 of 14413 Old 01-14-2016, 04:15 PM
Lionheart of AVS
 
King Richard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Greenstone, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,287
Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked: 4367
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeteranNewbie88 View Post
Okay folks...I have a connection at a local Best Buy....I have my 3 final buying options on the table and I have to act fast if I am to consider 2 of them as they are Display Models and others are interested....I would love your opinions...please keep in mind a couple key variables that play into the equation: my viewing distance is 15 ft to my farthest seating and about 10 feet to the closest. I am looking for opinions on "Best Overall Picture Quality and Viewing Experience for the Money". So I know that the 940C may trump the other options in PQ but please keep in mind cost and overall value for the money. Thank you!!

Option 1: Best Buy Display Model 65" 930C - $1999.99 - seems to be in great shape - no documentation, box or 3D glasses...coming right off the wall
Option 2: Best Buy Display Model 65" 950B - $2499.99 - has a small "chip" out of the outside of the bezel - barely noticable - picture looks amazing - no documentation, box or 3D glasses - coming right off wall
Option 3: Brand New in Box 75" 940C (shipped and delivered from Best Buy) - $5500 if I put it on a BB card and possible Rewards back...have to finalize it with manager...free delivery


The 940C has been my first choice for quite some time..but a FALD 950B for $2500? The only thing lacking it seems is full HDR compatibility and the speakers of the 940..and of course the extra screen real estate...in person PQ is amazing...and 3K less??? I hate decisions lol...

Ditto! The 940c
King Richard is offline  
post #6720 of 14413 Old 01-14-2016, 05:24 PM
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 34,843
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5299 Post(s)
Liked: 3037
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 View Post
I tried to do this by plugging it in to a nearby a/c outlet and connecting the modem/router tothe TV with an Ethernet cable but it did not work. I got a message “Not connected to the internet". I tried using my streaming apps and could not connect. Am I not doing it correctly or do I need to make a setting change in the settings menu?
It should go like this:

Modem > router > tv
All 3 connected by network cables.



oink is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
940C , hdr , Sony , X930C , X940C

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off