**Official** Sony X930C / X940C Owners Thread - Page 225 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7015Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #6721 of 14413 Old 01-14-2016, 05:25 PM
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 34,843
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5299 Post(s)
Liked: 3037
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSPerera View Post
Someone help I cant seem to get a 3d signal via my receiver. Does anyone now to get it working?
Check the manual of your receiver.



oink is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6722 of 14413 Old 01-14-2016, 05:54 PM
Member
 
CSPerera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Ok heres what i have found. There is some major issues with this TV and my Pioneer Sclx 86/ SC68 (US)

Firstly heres the list of issues.

1) The receiver only connects to HDMI 4(ARC) and works. Any other inputs on the TV I dont get an image (All I get is no Signal detected)
2) My HTPC via the receiver use to be able to select 4k Resoultion on my Previous Sony tv (X900A) on the X93 maximum resolution selectable is 1080p.
3) When I playback a 3d movie via my Pioneer bluray player via the receiver, the movie plays but unable to select 3d as it states that I need a 3d compatible player and Tv combo. My Oppo player on the other hand
I was able to go into the Oppo menu as select Force 3d and it works. If I turn of the Force 3d it doesnt. Both players direct connection to the TV works. All HDMI inputs on the TV works with other devices to rule out a TV issue. I beleive this issue is an incompatibilty with the Receiver and the TV or unless my receiver has all of a sudden developed a fault.

Anyone with issues remotely like this please let me know a solution if anyone knows.
CSPerera is offline  
post #6723 of 14413 Old 01-14-2016, 07:25 PM
Senior Member
 
pagusas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Frisco, TX
Posts: 315
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSPerera View Post
Ok heres what i have found. There is some major issues with this TV and my Pioneer Sclx 86/ SC68 (US)

Firstly heres the list of issues.

1) The receiver only connects to HDMI 4(ARC) and works. Any other inputs on the TV I dont get an image (All I get is no Signal detected)
2) My HTPC via the receiver use to be able to select 4k Resoultion on my Previous Sony tv (X900A) on the X93 maximum resolution selectable is 1080p.
3) When I playback a 3d movie via my Pioneer bluray player via the receiver, the movie plays but unable to select 3d as it states that I need a 3d compatible player and Tv combo. My Oppo player on the other hand
I was able to go into the Oppo menu as select Force 3d and it works. If I turn of the Force 3d it doesnt. Both players direct connection to the TV works. All HDMI inputs on the TV works with other devices to rule out a TV issue. I beleive this issue is an incompatibilty with the Receiver and the TV or unless my receiver has all of a sudden developed a fault.

Anyone with issues remotely like this please let me know a solution if anyone knows.
Do you have enhanced HDMI turned on?
pagusas is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6724 of 14413 Old 01-14-2016, 08:15 PM
Member
 
navoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeteranNewbie88 View Post
Okay folks...I have a connection at a local Best Buy....I have my 3 final buying options on the table and I have to act fast if I am to consider 2 of them as they are Display Models and others are interested....I would love your opinions...please keep in mind a couple key variables that play into the equation: my viewing distance is 15 ft to my farthest seating and about 10 feet to the closest. I am looking for opinions on "Best Overall Picture Quality and Viewing Experience for the Money". So I know that the 940C may trump the other options in PQ but please keep in mind cost and overall value for the money. Thank you!!

Option 1: Best Buy Display Model 65" 930C - $1999.99 - seems to be in great shape - no documentation, box or 3D glasses...coming right off the wall
Option 2: Best Buy Display Model 65" 950B - $2499.99 - has a small "chip" out of the outside of the bezel - barely noticable - picture looks amazing - no documentation, box or 3D glasses - coming right off wall
Option 3: Brand New in Box 75" 940C (shipped and delivered from Best Buy) - $5500 if I put it on a BB card and possible Rewards back...have to finalize it with manager...free delivery


The 940C has been my first choice for quite some time..but a FALD 950B for $2500? The only thing lacking it seems is full HDR compatibility and the speakers of the 940..and of course the extra screen real estate...in person PQ is amazing...and 3K less??? I hate decisions lol...
Just got the 940c myself. No regrets. Never checked out the 950b but 75 inches of pure quality is hard to beat. 4K will look good on all of them, but even lower res 720p stuff looks awesome on the 940c.
navoid is offline  
post #6725 of 14413 Old 01-14-2016, 09:04 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by navoid View Post
Just got the 940c myself. No regrets. Never checked out the 950b but 75 inches of pure quality is hard to beat. 4K will look good on all of them, but even lower res 720p stuff looks awesome on the 940c.
Thank you to all for your encouragement and recommendation. I negotiated what I think is a great deal at Best Buy today and ordered the 940C. I'm not sure if I would be breaking board rules by telling you what I paid It is due to be delivered on Jan 22nd. I need to grab 3 good HDMI cables for components...I don't mind paying a little more if it actually will make a difference with PQ...but do I really have to go with Audioquest or Monster? I hear polar opposite feedback on this question from people..some say that it's always best to play it safe and get the more expensive ones ($99 each for 9ft) or that it totally wont affect PQ and just go with generic ones that are able to pass 4K-3D signals...what cables do you all use?? Again...thanks for all the advice...
VeteranNewbie88 is offline  
post #6726 of 14413 Old 01-14-2016, 09:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Chriscorv58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Granby CT, USA
Posts: 330
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 82
30k system and I'm still using mono price hdmi cables.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Z1-B and VeteranNewbie88 like this.

Sony 940c 75" Display, Marantz AV8801, HTPC, JTR 215RM Mains & JTR 210RM Center, DIY Surrounds, Crown Xti & Cdi Amps, Seaton Submersive HP+ Master and Slave.
Chriscorv58 is offline  
post #6727 of 14413 Old 01-14-2016, 09:42 PM
Member
 
CSPerera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagusas View Post
Do you have enhanced HDMI turned on?
Yes I have tried it with it off and on. When on the htpc refuses to show an image also.
CSPerera is offline  
post #6728 of 14413 Old 01-15-2016, 02:08 AM
Advanced Member
 
dkyork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 529
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeteranNewbie88 View Post
Thank you to all for your encouragement and recommendation. I negotiated what I think is a great deal at Best Buy today and ordered the 940C. I'm not sure if I would be breaking board rules by telling you what I paid It is due to be delivered on Jan 22nd. I need to grab 3 good HDMI cables for components...I don't mind paying a little more if it actually will make a difference with PQ...but do I really have to go with Audioquest or Monster? I hear polar opposite feedback on this question from people..some say that it's always best to play it safe and get the more expensive ones ($99 each for 9ft) or that it totally wont affect PQ and just go with generic ones that are able to pass 4K-3D signals...what cables do you all use?? Again...thanks for all the advice...
I used bluejeanscable. Do some research on their site. This whole hdmi thing is a big ...... Well, I'll let you decide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Mine was calibrated and it made a very nice improvement. My settings have not been reset with a FW update, but you can reenter them if they were. Chad B, a calibrator, tested a display before and after a FW update reentering settings and they results were the same.

Sony will not likely have a player until late year, so if you want to jump on the bandwagon in early March, the Samsung is the ONLY option.
C-Dub006 and Z1-B like this.
dkyork is offline  
post #6729 of 14413 Old 01-15-2016, 04:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mt14942's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Pembroke Pines, Florida
Posts: 2,313
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
It should go like this:

Modem > router > tv
All 3 connected by network cables.



My modem/router is all one unit and I have it plugged into an a/c outlet and thanconnected to the TV via an Ethernet cable and it is not working. When I checkthe status in the settings menu it is showing no internet connection. I havealso tried to use the streaming apps and they say the same. So my question ishave I not connected it correctly and if I did is there a setting I need tomake in the settings menu so it will work?
mt14942 is offline  
post #6730 of 14413 Old 01-15-2016, 04:29 AM
Advanced Member
 
loudog2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Suburbs of Chicago
Posts: 512
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 View Post
My modem/router is all one unit and I have it plugged into an a/c outlet and thanconnected to the TV via an Ethernet cable and it is not working. When I checkthe status in the settings menu it is showing no internet connection. I havealso tried to use the streaming apps and they say the same. So my question ishave I not connected it correctly and if I did is there a setting I need tomake in the settings menu so it will work?
Are you using a powerline adapter? I'm just curious as to what is going into the a/c outlet you mentioned.

Sony 940C*Sony HX909*Samsung K8500*Yamaha 3050*klipsch front RP-280's*rear RF-3's*center RP-450C*Sides RP-280's*front heights RP-140's*overhead 5650cii's*SVS-PB2000x4*emotiva XPA-5*Yamaha YSP-1600 sound bar*Sony HT-CT370 sound bar
loudog2 is offline  
post #6731 of 14413 Old 01-15-2016, 05:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mt14942's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Pembroke Pines, Florida
Posts: 2,313
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudog2 View Post
Are you using a powerline adapter? I'm just curious as to what is going into the a/c outlet you mentioned.

No just plugged straight into a a/c outlet. I did check both sockets with a small lamp on the a/c plate just in case one needed a wall switch to be turned on and both sockets worked so that isn't the problem. So it sounds like I have it connected it correctly so maybe there is a setting I need to turn on when using a land-line connection?
mt14942 is offline  
post #6732 of 14413 Old 01-15-2016, 06:00 AM
Newbie
 
silwenae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeteranNewbie88 View Post
Thank you to all for your encouragement and recommendation. I negotiated what I think is a great deal at Best Buy today and ordered the 940C. I'm not sure if I would be breaking board rules by telling you what I paid It is due to be delivered on Jan 22nd. I need to grab 3 good HDMI cables for components...I don't mind paying a little more if it actually will make a difference with PQ...but do I really have to go with Audioquest or Monster? I hear polar opposite feedback on this question from people..some say that it's always best to play it safe and get the more expensive ones ($99 each for 9ft) or that it totally wont affect PQ and just go with generic ones that are able to pass 4K-3D signals...what cables do you all use?? Again...thanks for all the advice...
Please do let us know what you paid. With the new models coming in a couple months, I'd rather negotiate now than have to wait for these to go on closeout.

I'm looking to pull the trigger in the next week or two myself. An earlier board post someone said they got one for $5500 so I'm curious how low BBY will go.
silwenae is offline  
post #6733 of 14413 Old 01-15-2016, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CCsoftball7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 3,702
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1695 Post(s)
Liked: 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 View Post
I tried to do this by plugging it in to a nearby a/c outlet and connecting the modem/router tothe TV with an Ethernet cable but it did not work. I got a message “Not connected to the internet". I tried using my streaming apps and could not connect. Am I not doing it correctly or do I need to make a setting change in the settings menu?
Are you using an AC adapter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
It should go like this:

Modem > router > tv
All 3 connected by network cables.
This is correct.
CCsoftball7 is offline  
post #6734 of 14413 Old 01-15-2016, 08:32 AM
Senior Member
 
Bejoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 384
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
For those having problems with Apps, I recommend not using the ones in the Sonys and use an external device instead.
There are several available now that can do 4K.
So do you think it is worth spending 129 on a ROKU 4? I was thinking it would be a waste since the aps I would use (netflix, amazon, youtube, and sling) are already built in aps on the X930C. I returned my ROKU 4 when I got the new SONY X930C. The only issue is that when you use the built in sony tv ap, you can not use the WIDE button on sling. I use sling for Indian programming, and the image is very small. In my previous setup (panasonic 4k and roku4) I could hit the "format" button on the remote and I could do H-Fill, Zoom, etc.. and fill the whole screen. Now I am wondering if I need to go buy a ROKU 4 again? ( just for SLING, and also to avoid the difficulties mentioned here with the android OS.)
Bejoy is online now  
post #6735 of 14413 Old 01-15-2016, 08:49 AM
Senior Member
 
Bejoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 384
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 146
also, if you do press WIDE? does it fill the screen? I have only used the aps on the tv and havent tried connecting other devices yet to see what the WIDE button does?

Thanks!
Bejoy is online now  
post #6736 of 14413 Old 01-15-2016, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 33,212
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7378 Post(s)
Liked: 8256
The Roku4, which I had and returned, has a major issue when outputting 4K. On many displays, the Sony included, there is a decided red push to the color. This makes flesh tones look decidedly wrong.

Roku is either oblivious (the issue has been reported to them by many people, myself included), doesn't care or simply can't fix it with the current hardware they're using.

The only reason I bought one was for the Vudu 4K which the Sony doesn't have. The Vudu app on the Sony is not yet 4K enabled.
Ken Ross is offline  
post #6737 of 14413 Old 01-15-2016, 08:56 AM
Senior Member
 
Bejoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 384
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by vman83 View Post
From my experience and what ive read i think the sony is the better tv. Have you read over on rtings? The review there made my mind up. Other than the android issues its a great tv. If you're still not sure wait and buy the new sony tvs when they come out if thats a option at all.
I decided on the sony after reading about it on rtings. I dont have the option of waiting until the new sony comes out. With the best buy "junk out" option, it has to be a current tv. Luckily, I have 45 days, so if any new tvs come out in that 45 days, then i can exchange it. I think I will scheudle the calibration as well. It is normally $249 with BB, but, I may be able to schedule it as an add-on service for $149. I think that is worth it. Also, in the next 45 days if the price comes down, I can do a price match and get the lower price and use the difference to buy the calibration and 5 year warranty. I wonder if the price will drop to $2499 before Feb 12. It is still listed at $2999. I went to the store yesterday and they said the prices will drop the week of superbowl (1st week of feb) and they will have an excessive amount of "open box" tvs the week afer superbowl with people who buy high end tvs just to watch the game, and they return it afterwards. Hypothetically, if someone buys the X930C for superbowl sale of $2499, returns it the next week, it will sell for open box at $2249 or cheaper. At that point, I can take advantage and buy one and use the difference to pre-order a samsung K8500
vman83 likes this.
Bejoy is online now  
post #6738 of 14413 Old 01-15-2016, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mt14942's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Pembroke Pines, Florida
Posts: 2,313
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCsoftball7 View Post
Are you using an AC adapter?



This is correct.
No, not using an AC adapter. I talked with Sony support and they said that doing a factory reset might solve the problem. They also said that it is not recommended that your modem/router be more than 25 ft. away from the TV and mine is between 35 & 40 ft. away so even though the TV is showing an excellent connection and my speed fluctuates between 115 & 144 mbps that the distance could be causing the picture to freeze. I might just do a factory reset to see if that helps regarding hardwiring the modem/router otherwise for the occasional picture freeze being the only problem & it's something that I can live with I will probably just leave things as they are. I am getting a great UHD picture from both Amazon and Netflix and the HDR on Amazon also looks good. To me the best thing about this TV is how great the picture is when I am just watching DTV & the outside antennae with 1080I and 720P signal & of course with blu ray 1080P. I guess this can be attributed to the great up scaling being done, that does make the picture look pretty close to 4K.

Last edited by mt14942; 01-16-2016 at 05:17 AM.
mt14942 is offline  
post #6739 of 14413 Old 01-15-2016, 09:04 AM
Senior Member
 
Bejoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 384
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
The Roku4, which I had and returned, has a major issue when outputting 4K. On many displays, the Sony included, there is a decided red push to the color. This makes flesh tones look decidedly wrong.

Roku is either oblivious (the issue has been reported to them by many people, myself included), doesn't care or simply can't fix it with the current hardware they're using.

The only reason I bought one was for the Vudu 4K which the Sony doesn't have. The Vudu app on the Sony is not yet 4K enabled.
Is VUDU4 expected to be a sony ap? If so, there may not be a need to get or keep a roku4. Is there any other specific ap that the roku4 has that is 4k (that the sony does not have)? I was surprised to see that sony had the ultraflix ap. I wasnt impressed with it, but I only did the free stuff. The only impressive 4k content so far that I have seen is amazon 4kHDR. I wasnt amazed with the netflix 4k or ultraflix 4k. Maybe I need calibration first to get the full benefit of the sony.
Bejoy is online now  
post #6740 of 14413 Old 01-15-2016, 09:11 AM
Member
 
EJKrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oregon
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Question regarding automatic input selection when X940C is powering up.

When I turn on my system I will first turn on my Denon AVR 4308, then DirecTV Genie, then the 940C.
The TV then will randomly select Tuner, HDMI 1, or HDMI 4 ARC.
The Sony HDMI 4 ARC port is connected to the MONITOR out of my Denon.
No other HDMI port on the 940C is being used.
Is there a setting that I can use to force HDMI 4 ARC connection when I turn on the Sony?

Thanks for any input!
EJKrew is offline  
post #6741 of 14413 Old 01-15-2016, 10:19 AM
Senior Member
 
Aniwolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Just got my 2nd x930c and this one has lightbleeds on both sides like the first one. Sony rep at Bestbuy said it was defective....Really?!?! 3k for such issues is unacceptable to me. Good luck to all that can ignore this defect and to those that dont have it. I was unlucky.
Aniwolfe is offline  
post #6742 of 14413 Old 01-15-2016, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 12,247
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6063
I do not see any light bleed on mine. I can find a cloud here or there with the menu up in a pitch black room.

I do see about 6” of one side or the other wash out as a perfect bar down the side, but that is a view angle issue. Luckily my wife and I are pretty center so it looks great all the time.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
ATV4K / Uverse / Sony X800M2
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
gadgtfreek is offline  
post #6743 of 14413 Old 01-15-2016, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KidHorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Derwood, Maryland
Posts: 5,442
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1862 Post(s)
Liked: 1287
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCsoftball7 View Post
Regarding software...everyone keeps knocking Sony for buggy Android software. Just remember, there are apps developed by Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc. that are also in the equation. I'm not sure the issues reported are all specifically OS related.
When resetting persistent data on the TV solves the problem, it's difficult to blame the apps. But I guess it's still possible the apps are at fault.
Z1-B likes this.
KidHorn is offline  
post #6744 of 14413 Old 01-15-2016, 11:09 AM
Senior Member
 
Aniwolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
I do not see any light bleed on mine. I can find a cloud here or there with the menu up in a pitch black room.

I do see about 6” of one side or the other wash out as a perfect bar down the side, but that is a view angle issue. Luckily my wife and I are pretty center so it looks great all the time.
This issue happens with dark to semi dark scenes...not all the time. And the bleed is just like you described, its almost like the tv gets confused as to how much gamma correction to add to the sides. Very weird.

I have this issue dead center viewing, glad yours doesn't have this. This tv buying game is pretty crazy.

Last edited by Aniwolfe; 01-15-2016 at 11:24 AM.
Aniwolfe is offline  
post #6745 of 14413 Old 01-15-2016, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KidHorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Derwood, Maryland
Posts: 5,442
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1862 Post(s)
Liked: 1287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bejoy View Post
So do you think it is worth spending 129 on a ROKU 4? I was thinking it would be a waste since the aps I would use (netflix, amazon, youtube, and sling) are already built in aps on the X930C. I returned my ROKU 4 when I got the new SONY X930C. The only issue is that when you use the built in sony tv ap, you can not use the WIDE button on sling. I use sling for Indian programming, and the image is very small. In my previous setup (panasonic 4k and roku4) I could hit the "format" button on the remote and I could do H-Fill, Zoom, etc.. and fill the whole screen. Now I am wondering if I need to go buy a ROKU 4 again? ( just for SLING, and also to avoid the difficulties mentioned here with the android OS.)
I would assume all UHD blu-ray players will host all the major streaming apps. I plan on getting one, maybe a few months after they're released in case some of them are bad. Partly for app streaming and DLNA.
KidHorn is offline  
post #6746 of 14413 Old 01-15-2016, 11:27 AM
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 613
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCsoftball7 View Post
One other thing that might be lost as well, I have a 940c...If I recall correctly, you have a 930c. I'm quite sure they run two different OS as well (not exact copies). I would be curious to see how that split is on the OS issues.
Same Android OS all the Sony's XBR's use there may be slight variations in the picture adjustment setting menu and audio settings that's all and if there are any it wont be much at all.
Z1-B is offline  
post #6747 of 14413 Old 01-15-2016, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CCsoftball7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 3,702
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1695 Post(s)
Liked: 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post
When resetting persistent data on the TV solves the problem, it's difficult to blame the apps. But I guess it's still possible the apps are at fault.
I think the further away the OS is from Vanilla Android, the more problems that are seen. However, I have little to no issues with my set and I use several streaming apps. From the problems I have had, I would guess they are app related, not OS related.
CCsoftball7 is offline  
post #6748 of 14413 Old 01-15-2016, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CCsoftball7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 3,702
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1695 Post(s)
Liked: 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z1-B View Post
Same Android OS all the Sony's XBR's use there may be slight variations in the picture adjustment setting menu and audio settings that's all and if there are any it wont be much at all.
Similar does not equal the same.

That's like saying the 930c and 940c are identical...except for all the differences.
CCsoftball7 is offline  
post #6749 of 14413 Old 01-15-2016, 12:06 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 613
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 154
[
Quote:
B]CCsoftball7

One other thing that might be lost as well, I have a 940c...If I recall correctly, you have a 930c. I'm quite sure they run two different OS as well (not exact copies). I would be curious to see how that split is on the OS issues[/B]
.



Same Android OS all the 2015 Sony's XBR's use there may be slight variations in the picture adjustment setting menu and ofc the firmware but that's about all .




Quote:


Similar does not equal the same.


That's like saying the 930c and 940c are identical...except for all the differences.
You asked if the operating system was different they are not just like
Windows 10 10586 th2 -1511 is the same on any two given computers but the settings,driver updates ,Bios and drivers may vary .


FWIW they have different back lighting one is edge light one is FALD so that would maybe imply different back light settings ,controls and firmware apart from the OS.

OTOH since they both have dumbo ear speakers maybe the audio menu is the same.


FWIW they are different model numbers and have different panels and panel lighting so obviously there will be some differences but the Google/Sony Android Operating system is the same and it's X930C and X940C not 930C and 940C.

It's Likely the X930C has an AUO panel and the X940C has a Samsung panel or actually LCD cells because Sony uses their own Back light /Edge light modules likely fabricated and assembled by Foxconn


If your set was made in Mexico it's a good bet Foxconn made it for the Sony inc. (SNE) Sony TV owned subsidiary . Sony inc. sold all their mfr. assets in Mexico and S/A .

You might want to take the time to look at the Sony web site and use the comparison tool .


Sent from Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview Evaluation Copy . Build 11099 rs1-1511

Last edited by Z1-B; 01-15-2016 at 12:40 PM. Reason: sp
Z1-B is offline  
post #6750 of 14413 Old 01-15-2016, 12:11 PM
Member
 
vman83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bejoy View Post
I decided on the sony after reading about it on rtings. I dont have the option of waiting until the new sony comes out. With the best buy "junk out" option, it has to be a current tv. Luckily, I have 45 days, so if any new tvs come out in that 45 days, then i can exchange it. I think I will scheudle the calibration as well. It is normally $249 with BB, but, I may be able to schedule it as an add-on service for $149. I think that is worth it. Also, in the next 45 days if the price comes down, I can do a price match and get the lower price and use the difference to buy the calibration and 5 year warranty. I wonder if the price will drop to $2499 before Feb 12. It is still listed at $2999. I went to the store yesterday and they said the prices will drop the week of superbowl (1st week of feb) and they will have an excessive amount of "open box" tvs the week afer superbowl with people who buy high end tvs just to watch the game, and they return it afterwards. Hypothetically, if someone buys the X930C for superbowl sale of $2499, returns it the next week, it will sell for open box at $2249 or cheaper. At that point, I can take advantage and buy one and use the difference to pre-order a samsung K8500
If you can get this tv for a really good price then you're set for a real bargain. It's a great tv. I think a lot of people have a few issues with new tv sets, light bleed, stuck pixels etc... this will happen with any brand. Luckily after playing with the settings ive got it looking great. You just have to have a play with it and use different presets for night/day and whether you're watching sd tv or bluray films. Especially with the motionflow settings. The upscaling is really good too. Now just got to wait for the 4k stuff to come. Even my 1080p bluray films look superb so i cant imagine what the 2160p movies will be like. I came from a bog standard samsung lcd so i was really impressed, even the sound was just as impressing. I think you'll be pleased with your purchase
King Richard likes this.
vman83 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
940C , hdr , Sony , X930C , X940C

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off