**Official** Sony X930C / X940C Owners Thread - Page 227 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7015Likes

post #6781 of 14400 Old 01-16-2016, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7355 Post(s)
Liked: 8211
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richard View Post
Just to add a quick note to my previous post.

I know that this HDMI cable is a little on the expensive side, however...

... I think I read somewhere that it will extend your screen size to 120"

... and give you a minimum peak brightness of at least 5,000 nits.

Should be great for viewing the new UHD HDR Blu-ray movies!

Just sayin'

Richard
It doesn't do the dishes too?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6782 of 14400 Old 01-16-2016, 10:36 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 5299 Post(s)
Liked: 3037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bejoy View Post
Does it only up convert 1080P fed to it? Or does it up convert anything? I have only tried cable (1080i) and blu-ray (1080p) and it up converts both. Is it supposed to up convert DVDs too? I think some receivers only up convert 1080p, but not anything else, so I didn't know if it is the same with the SONY?
It upconverts all lesser resolutions to 4K.

King Richard likes this.
post #6783 of 14400 Old 01-16-2016, 03:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This is a REALLY long thread and I'm about 2000 posts through it trying to find out what's up with the shoot-out settings I tried (940c) which Carlos posted back in the Summer.. cuz they look like crap on my set. Very dark and yellowish, both of the configs.
I've had the set for about 2 months and have been pretty happy using "Standard" and then turning down the brightness and contrast quite a bit.. I'm too tired to keep reading to see if something in the newest FW has made the shoot-out settings obsolete..
Is there a more relevant batch of settings for today?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6784 of 14400 Old 01-16-2016, 04:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclegeek View Post
This is a REALLY long thread and I'm about 2000 posts through it trying to find out what's up with the shoot-out settings I tried (940c) which Carlos posted back in the Summer.. cuz they look like crap on my set. Very dark and yellowish, both of the configs.
I've had the set for about 2 months and have been pretty happy using "Standard" and then turning down the brightness and contrast quite a bit.. I'm too tired to keep reading to see if something in the newest FW has made the shoot-out settings obsolete..
I'd like to hear as well. My set will be coming Tuesday and it would be awesome to have a good out of the box configuration to run.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Sony 940c 75" Display, Marantz AV8801, HTPC, JTR 215RM Mains & JTR 210RM Center, DIY Surrounds, Crown Xti & Cdi Amps, Seaton Submersive HP+ Master and Slave.
post #6785 of 14400 Old 01-16-2016, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
It upconverts all lesser resolutions to 4K.
Does it stop up conversion once you change the hdmi port to enhanced?

Sony 940C*Sony HX909*Samsung K8500*Yamaha 3050*klipsch front RP-280's*rear RF-3's*center RP-450C*Sides RP-280's*front heights RP-140's*overhead 5650cii's*SVS-PB2000x4*emotiva XPA-5*Yamaha YSP-1600 sound bar*Sony HT-CT370 sound bar
post #6786 of 14400 Old 01-16-2016, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudog2 View Post
Does it stop up conversion once you change the hdmi port to enhanced?

No advanced HDMI signal formatting only allows more HDMI bandwidth for advanced formats like HDR UHD BD players and 2160p/60 4:4:4 ,etc

All supported resolutions below the 2160p fixed pixel panel (native 2160p ) resolution gets upscaled to the 2160p panel .
King Richard likes this.
post #6787 of 14400 Old 01-16-2016, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Here is a trick...
Take the "Standard" mode and make adjustments to it that gives you a picture that YOU like.

I have tried all of the settings others have posted and none made me completely happy.
FWIW, I like more of a natural look to my displays (something that looks like looking out a window or mimics reality), but others do not.
Ultimately, it comes down to whatever floats your boat.

If none of that is acceptable to you, ya can always call in an ISF calibrator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z1-B View Post
No advanced HDMI signal formatting only allows more HDMI bandwidth for advanced formats like 2160p/60 4:4:4 ,etc.
Is there any current streaming sources that qualify?

papaleo and VeteranNewbie88 like this.
post #6788 of 14400 Old 01-16-2016, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 179
If anyone is using an X640C with a Roku 4, can you tell me if the Vudu HDR is compatible?

I don't care about apathy

Main System: Sony XBR75X940C * Marantz SR6010 * Marantz MM-9000 * MSI Cubi HTPC (OpenPHT/Aeon Nox) * Roku Ultra * Samsung Blu-Ray * Paradigm Studio/40 v.2 * Paradigm Studio/CC v.2 * Paradigm ADP-370 * SVS PB12-Plus/2 * Harmony Ultimate One * HDFury Linker (Zone 2)
post #6789 of 14400 Old 01-16-2016, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Here is a trick...
Take the "Standard" mode and make adjustments to it that gives you a picture that YOU like.

I have tried all of the settings others have posted and none made me completely happy.
FWIW, I like more of a natural look to my displays (something that looks like looking out a window or mimics reality), but others do not.

Quote:
Agree on the standard Pix mode that's more often than not where I hang out with my preferred settings although I have Game and some of the other modes tweaked .

IMO Cinema Pro is the most accurate on my X850C it can even make true Magneta which the other modes presumably outside of a calibration can't do at all by comparison .

FWIW I used my calibrated 1440p PC monitor in here with the TV that can do that perfectly for a reference .

OTOH I like the brightness and contrast at max in cinema Pro and Cinema home .

Quote:
Probably not much outside of streaming with an HDR 4K extender .

OTOH on the HDMI inputs a PC dGPU @ 2160p/60 4:4:4: or RGB full would need the Enhanced HDMI signal format .

The 4K and 4K HDR apps in the TV go through the TV WiFi or Ethernet and not HDMI or a PC ofc.

Last edited by Z1-B; 01-16-2016 at 07:44 PM.
post #6790 of 14400 Old 01-16-2016, 07:35 PM
Lionheart of AVS

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked: 4367
Quote:
I like more of a natural look to my displays (something that looks like looking out a window or mimics reality).

So then what you're saying is that you like a properly calibrated display?

Richard
Z1-B likes this.
post #6791 of 14400 Old 01-16-2016, 08:13 PM

Quote:
oink
I like more of a natural look to my displays (something that looks like looking out a window or mimics reality).
That's one reason I bought a Sony along with a couple of others but some of the Samsung's are good as well

When they make a TV that looks just like the view through an open door or window or outside on a sunny day ( maybe 11,000 NIT's also ) ......... I'm all in

Quote:
King Richard

Richard
On the Sony X850C the Cinema Pro picture mode seems like the most accurate and decently accurate as delivered .

OTOH I like max bright and contrast in Cinema Home & Pro......... when I use them .
King Richard likes this.

Last edited by Z1-B; 01-16-2016 at 08:25 PM.
post #6792 of 14400 Old 01-16-2016, 10:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood Jablomi View Post
If anyone is using an X640C with a Roku 4, can you tell me if the Vudu HDR is compatible?
What is an X640C?
brickyardz likes this.
post #6793 of 14400 Old 01-17-2016, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z1-B View Post

Probably not much outside of streaming with an HDR 4K extender .

OTOH on the HDMI inputs a PC dGPU @ 2160p/60 4:4:4: or RGB full would need the Enhanced HDMI signal format .

The 4K and 4K HDR apps in the TV go through the TV WiFi or Ethernet and not HDMI or a PC ofc.
That's what I thought...thanx.

Quote:
Yes, but not everyone wants to drop $400 on a calibration.

I've been working with HDTVs since their inception.
Some have been ISFed and some haven't.
Unless a unit is defective, I can get pretty damn close to the results of a calibration without calling for one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceko View Post
What is an X640C?
It's a dyslexic X940c.

post #6794 of 14400 Old 01-17-2016, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Here is a trick...

I've gone the ISF calibrator route years ago on my Pioneer rear projection TV back when that set was the sh*t and frankly when the guy got done 4 hours later, I didn't like the look.. so I'm starting to think it's me.. I would like to think a properly calibrated display would look perfect to me but I don't think I want to spend $400 only to find out (again) that my eye likes something else. The shoot-out settings took the picture so dark you couldn't see any detail in the darker areas and the whites looked too warm.. hard to imagine that's my perception only, but maybe.
I came from a 60" Kuro which is now in my bedroom when I mounted the x940c, and I never cal'ed the Kuro as it seemed perfect to me out of the box.
I'm an Engineer so I appreciate the significance of calibration to standards and I'm naturally wishing a calibrated display would be visually the best image to me. What would be awesome is if I call around to some calibrators and find one that has a x940c in the shop that's cal'ed I could look at first. Probably not going to happen.
post #6795 of 14400 Old 01-17-2016, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6025
Many calibrators will set light output where you want it. Our you get a day mode and a night mode.

As far as properly setting grayscale, gamma and color, there is no better way than to have a pro do it. Or buy a meter yourself.

I get some people do not like a cal, and thats fine, it's where reference vs preference comes in. And accurate, or "looks good to me". For me, I can't stand a tv with gamma, color and grayscale errors. These are easy for me to spot, but Ive been watching calibrated displays since 2008. For displays that cost as much as these, I still laugh when folks talk about how pricey a cal is... I never understood going out and buying a flagship and then turning your nose up at making it accurate.
tenthplanet and King Richard like this.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
ATV4K (3) / PS Vue
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
post #6796 of 14400 Old 01-17-2016, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Many calibrators will set light output where you want it. Our you get a day mode and a night mode.

As far as properly setting grayscale, gamma and color, there is no better way than to have a pro do it. Or buy a meter yourself.

I get some people do not like a cal, and thats fine, it's where reference vs preference comes in. And accurate, or "looks good to me". For me, I can't stand a tv with gamma, color and grayscale errors. These are easy for me to spot, but Ive been watching calibrated displays since 2008. For displays that cost as much as these, I still laugh when folks talk about how pricey a cal is... I never understood going out and buying a flagship and then turning your nose up at making it accurate.

Oh I don't think it's expensive.. the calibrator has a skill set I don't have and moreover the instrumentation I don't have.. and it takes quite a bit of time to perform.. and if it produces a display that I love, it's money very well spent.. I just don't want to toss out $400 if it's not going to please me.
Perhaps my first experience with an ISF cal was tainted by a poorly done calibration and I should give it another go.
post #6797 of 14400 Old 01-17-2016, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6025
There are some bad calibrators out there. I was lucky enough to have spent time owning my own gear, so you get a better feel for what someone knows. Also some calibrators refuse to do things like give you more light output, and sticking to say 35 footlamberts. I actually like more along the lines of 37-39fL's. Chad is always easy going here and will ask you what you situation is.

I can highly recommend Chad B because did my VT50 several times and this 930C in Nov. Fair price, touchup prices are cheap, and if you get a new display you don't get hit with the first timer price again, you get a slight repeat customer discount. There are a couple of more good ones on AVS, but in the last 3 years I have only used Chad and can only speak to his ability.

I hope to have him back in March/April now that the UHD stuff is getting our there in the optical format. The Rec2020/P3/HDR stuff is going to complicate things.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
ATV4K (3) / PS Vue
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
post #6798 of 14400 Old 01-17-2016, 08:56 AM

Quote:
There are some bad calibrators out there. I was lucky enough to have spent time owning my own gear, so you get a better feel for what someone knows. Also some calibrators refuse to do things like give you more light output, and sticking to say 35 footlamberts. I actually like more along the lines of 37-39fL's. Chad is always easy going here and will ask you what you situation is.

I can highly recommend Chad B because did my VT50 several times and this 930C in Nov. Fair price, touchup prices are cheap, and if you get a new display you don't get hit with the first timer price again, you get a slight repeat customer discount. There are a couple of more good ones on AVS, but in the last 3 years I have only used Chad and can only speak to his ability.

I hope to have him back in March/April now that the UHD stuff is getting our there in the optical format. The Rec2020/P3/HDR stuff is going to complicate things.
Well I'm in Chandler, Arizona.. so Chad probably isn't close by enough.. but I just dropped a line to a guy in Scottsdale that's listed in the ISF forum, Lee Gallagher with Advanced Audio Visual, to get a quote.. anyone local here know of his work or have a recommendation othewise? (sorry if this is diverting away from x940c specific owner topics)
post #6799 of 14400 Old 01-17-2016, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
What is an X640C?
The 640C is an absolutely magical TV created on the spot by a typographical error. It is a 1028Mhz, 256-bit panel embedded with unicorn magic to make all your display dreams come true.

I was actually trying to ask about the 940C.
VeteranNewbie88 likes this.

I don't care about apathy

Main System: Sony XBR75X940C * Marantz SR6010 * Marantz MM-9000 * MSI Cubi HTPC (OpenPHT/Aeon Nox) * Roku Ultra * Samsung Blu-Ray * Paradigm Studio/40 v.2 * Paradigm Studio/CC v.2 * Paradigm ADP-370 * SVS PB12-Plus/2 * Harmony Ultimate One * HDFury Linker (Zone 2)
post #6800 of 14400 Old 01-17-2016, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Richard
See if Austin Jerry has any settings. Have not seen any of his posts on this forum. But he had some killer settings for the 65x900a. They were all about natural viewing settings.
post #6801 of 14400 Old 01-17-2016, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Quote:
What is an X640C?
The 640C is an absolutely magical TV created on the spot by a typographical error. It is a 1028Mhz, 256-bit panel embedded with unicorn magic to make all your display dreams come true.
Does it do apps
post #6802 of 14400 Old 01-17-2016, 10:39 AM

Quote:
For displays that cost as much as these, I still laugh when folks talk about how pricey a cal is... I never understood going out and buying a flagship and then turning your nose up at making it accurate.
It's a question of ROI.
I'm not opposed to an ISF calibration in the slightest.
However, like I said I can usually get fairly close without one.

So far, I am not completely satisfied with my adjustments on the 940c.
I am close to ~100 hrs. of usage now and things should start settling down.

The HDR situation is an entirely different ball of wax and I am not quite sure how to approach it.
I may, ultimately, have to call in a calibrator for that.

Quote:
Well played, sir.

post #6803 of 14400 Old 01-17-2016, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by silwenae View Post
Please do let us know what you paid. With the new models coming in a couple months, I'd rather negotiate now than have to wait for these to go on closeout.

I'm looking to pull the trigger in the next week or two myself. An earlier board post someone said they got one for $5500 so I'm curious how low BBY will go.
After actually finding a Sales Manager at a specific Best Buy that would play ball...I negotiated down to what you saw in the other post My advice is to proactively tell them that you are willing to open a BB card if it allows them to play with the price. If I bought the 5 yr warranty for $1300 they were going to do fee delivery, free mounting, free calibration, buy one $99 Monster HDMI for $69 and get one free, and also the 5 yr warranty would apply to the Pre-order 4K player I was going to buy. I said no thanks...sorry, but $1300 for the warranty...even when padded with all the other stuff ...just wouldnt do it for me lol. So I ordered the 940C for that amount....Good luck!
MCaugusto and Z1-B like this.
post #6804 of 14400 Old 01-17-2016, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Try THIS ONE.

P.S. If you decide to go with this one, let us all know how you like it and if it's any good

And since I'm the one who gave you the link, you should also buy me one too.

Thanks in advance,

Richard
Holy Crap....I busted out laughing when I saw this....Good one Thanks for finding such a great value! I'll get one right to you!
King Richard likes this.
post #6805 of 14400 Old 01-17-2016, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeteranNewbie88 View Post
After actually finding a Sales Manager at a specific Best Buy that would play ball...I negotiated down to what you saw in the other post My advice is to proactively tell them that you are willing to open a BB card if it allows them to play with the price. If I bought the 5 yr warranty for $1300 they were going to do fee delivery, free mounting, free calibration, buy one $99 Monster HDMI for $69 and get one free, and also the 5 yr warranty would apply to the Pre-order 4K player I was going to buy. I said no thanks...sorry, but $1300 for the warranty...even when padded with all the other stuff ...just wouldnt do it for me lol. So I ordered the 940C for that amount....Good luck!
When BB asked me if I wanted that warranty I almost laughed out loud.. I had already done my homework and knew I'd be buying the Costco warranty (SquareTrade) for $90 for 3 years. Here
You don't have to buy your TV from Costco to buy their warranty.. if you DO buy your TV from Costco, then they throw in an extra year on top of the MFG 1 year.. so you end up covered for 5 years... in my case I have 1 year Sony and 3 years after that on SquareTrade.
Z1-B and VeteranNewbie88 like this.
post #6806 of 14400 Old 01-17-2016, 03:06 PM

Quote:
When BB asked me if I wanted that warranty I almost laughed out loud.. I had already done my homework and knew I'd be buying the Costco warranty (SquareTrade) for $90 for 3 years. Here
You don't have to buy your TV from Costco to buy their warranty.. if you DO buy your TV from Costco, then they throw in an extra year on top of the MFG 1 year.. so you end up covered for 5 years... in my case I have 1 year Sony and 3 years after that on SquareTrade.
Ditto I politely declined the BB warranty and purchased the Costco/Square Trade warranty at the Costco website
dkyork and VeteranNewbie88 like this.

Last edited by Z1-B; 01-17-2016 at 03:10 PM.
post #6807 of 14400 Old 01-17-2016, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeteranNewbie88 View Post
Thanks for letting me know! While I'm hoping to not open a BBY credit card, I do have to buy appliances for the new house we're building, so I'm hoping a huge order will help with the negotiations.
VeteranNewbie88 likes this.
post #6808 of 14400 Old 01-17-2016, 04:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saywhat4118 View Post
So I read in the reviews that this TV (xc940c) does a great job with preserving color and details when viewing from side angles. However, I feel like my set isn't doing such a good job at the off axis viewing. Colors fade and seems a bit more muted. I'm on my second set thinking the first one was defective. What are yalls thoughts?
What angle are you view at?
For me colors stay pretty accurate up to ~+/-60deg, then blacks start to go purple and the backlights start to shine through destroying the color.
post #6809 of 14400 Old 01-17-2016, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayons View Post
What angle are you view at?
For me colors stay pretty accurate up to ~+/-60deg, then blacks start to go purple and the backlights start to shine through destroying the color.
chiming in here this is one area I was disappointed in.. but then I came from a Kuro Plasma with perfect +/- 90°.. when I'm about 45° off center mine washes out in color and contrast.. fortunately mine's on a swivel/extendable mount and when we have people sitting the full width of the seating area I can pull it out and swing it left enough that everyone just gets a decent view. I went back to BB to look at the floor unit just to see if it was a defect and it's not.. theirs is the same.
post #6810 of 14400 Old 01-17-2016, 07:37 PM

I have a rather strange question....my 940C is due to arrive Friday of this week so I am preparing by purchasing all the necessary ancillary items. One thing I have been looking for is a "Screen Protector". I know this sounds strange, but the 940C is going to be mounted on a fully articulating mount on the wall in a finished basement family room that also sometimes doubles as my kids' play room. I have 3 year old twin boys and a 6 yr old daughter. To say I am slightly worried about the 940's screen is a bit of an understatement. Flying toys, bouncy balls etc...the thought makes my skin crawl lol. Needless to say, I am looking for something that I can "slip" over or cover the screen when it isn't in use...but then easily comes off otherwise. I am not looking for a "adhesive" style screen protector such as for a tablet or phone...I want something sturdy but padded and screen friendly. The closest thing I have found thus far is this. It looks like it just may be a soultion, and Amazon has it for a bit less..but I still find it to be very overpriced for a piece of plexiglass with some rubber spacers. Can anyone recommend ANYTHING else that would be a possible solution for me? The TV is going to be too high for my kids to actually physically reach it...I'm just afraid of projectiles lol. I've heard horror stories of those little tiny heavy dense super bouncy balls wreaking havoc on a flat screen Thanks in advance for any help!!
P.S. - Does anyone know if I can pay extra for the Costco Square Trade Warranty and have Screen Damage included? Thanks!

Last edited by VeteranNewbie88; 01-17-2016 at 07:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
940C , hdr , Sony , X930C , X940C

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page