**Official** Sony X930C / X940C Owners Thread - Page 228 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7017Likes

post #6811 of 14433 Old 01-17-2016, 07:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeteranNewbie88 View Post
I have a rather strange question....my 940C is due to arrive Friday of this week so I am preparing by purchasing all the necessary ancillary items. One thing I have been looking for is a "Screen Protector". I know this sounds strange, but the 940C is going to be mounted on a fully articulating mount on the wall in a finished basement family room that also sometimes doubles as my kids' play room. I have 3 year old twin boys and a 6 yr old daughter. To say I am slightly worried about the 940's screen is a bit of an understatement. Flying toys, bouncy balls etc...the thought makes my skin crawl lol. Needless to say, I am looking for something that I can "slip" over or cover the screen when it isn't in use...but then easily comes off otherwise. I am not looking for a "adhesive" style screen protector such as for a tablet or phone...I want something sturdy but padded and screen friendly. The closest thing I have found thus far is this. It looks like it just may be a soultion, and Amazon has it for a bit less..but I still find it to be very overpriced for a piece of plexiglass with some rubber spacers. Can anyone recommend ANYTHING else that would be a possible solution for me? The TV is going to be too high for my kids to actually physically reach it...I'm just afraid of projectiles lol. I've heard horror stories of those little tiny heavy dense super bouncy balls wreaking havoc on a flat screen Thanks in advance for any help!!
Sounds like the kids need a new play room =)
Ken Ross, KidHorn, oink and 3 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6812 of 14433 Old 01-17-2016, 08:19 PM
Lionheart of AVS

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked: 4370
Quote:
Holy Crap....I busted out laughing when I saw this....Good one Thanks for finding such a great value! I'll get one right to you!
Thank you!

They do offer "Free Shipping"

Richard

Last edited by King Richard; 01-17-2016 at 08:23 PM.
post #6813 of 14433 Old 01-18-2016, 12:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
VeteranNewbie88
I have a rather strange question....my 940C is due to arrive Friday of this week so I am preparing by purchasing all the necessary ancillary items. One thing I have been looking for is a "Screen Protector".
The closest thing I have found thus far is this. It looks like it just may be a soultion, and Amazon has it for a bit less..but I still find it to be very overpriced for a piece of plexiglass with some rubber spacers.
If you are going to live large with a 75" 940C you gotta pay for protection , maybe a local glass company can make up something out of Plexiglas for less than the Amazon product but who wants to watch one of those through Plexiglas like they sometimes hafta do in Jail with the Jailhouse TV's , might as well buy a large 1080p Sharp or Vizio .

The SQ trade warranty doesn't cover physical damage I have one on my Sony, maybe throw a phatt moving blanket or two over it or even have some one with an industrial sewing machine make a cover out of two of them (maybe a seamstress or canvas /sail maker/canvas shop ) which wont be cheap at a sailmaker/canvas shop and as if you could trust the kids not to have it on while they are down there.

hey I know ......maybe put an 8 ft patio door in front of it or heavy theater curtains

Last edited by Z1-B; 01-18-2016 at 12:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6814 of 14433 Old 01-18-2016, 07:11 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclegeek View Post
Well I'm in Chandler, Arizona.. so Chad probably isn't close by enough.. but I just dropped a line to a guy in Scottsdale that's listed in the ISF forum, Lee Gallagher with Advanced Audio Visual, to get a quote.. anyone local here know of his work or have a recommendation othewise? (sorry if this is diverting away from x940c specific owner topics)

Lee has been well talked about. Chad, as well as many others, travels all over the country. I'm in Alabama and he comes from Ohio.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
Panasonic UB820 / ATV4K
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / RP-500SA / FV15HP (5.1.2)
post #6815 of 14433 Old 01-18-2016, 08:09 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 5299 Post(s)
Liked: 3037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z1-B View Post
maybe throw a phatt moving blanket or two over it or even have some one with an industrial sewing machine make a cover out of two of them (maybe a seamstress or canvas /sail maker/canvas shop ) which wont be cheap at a sailmaker/canvas shop and as if you could trust the kids not to have it on while they are down there.
Those possibilities could run into some bucks.
If it were me, I would get rid of the kids before shelling out the dough...

Seriously, an old blanket would probably do the trick too.
The main thing is to not get the screen scratched.

Z1-B and VeteranNewbie88 like this.
post #6816 of 14433 Old 01-18-2016, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Lee has been well talked about. Chad, as well as many others, travels all over the country. I'm in Alabama and he comes from Ohio.
I am in Florida, Chad did the set I have now. When I get the 940D, I will call him again.
gadgtfreek likes this.
post #6817 of 14433 Old 01-18-2016, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Ofc they have nice quilted moving blankets on sale all the time at Harbor Freight for like $10.00 they would probably stop a dart or a BB or pellet gun and you could wash it in a commercial washer or hose it off after a food fight

Or one of these , 90" and ~ $130.95 just put some 4" casters on the bottom and move it outta the way to watch TV and hope it doesn't ever fall on the TV !

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/sa...er-unit-436650
VeteranNewbie88 likes this.

Last edited by Z1-B; 01-18-2016 at 09:12 AM.
post #6818 of 14433 Old 01-18-2016, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z1-B View Post
If you are going to live large with a 75" 940C you gotta pay for protection , maybe a local glass company can make up something out of Plexiglas for less than the Amazon product but who wants to watch one of those through Plexiglas like they sometimes hafta do in Jail with the Jailhouse TV's , might as well buy a large 1080p Sharp or Vizio .

The SQ trade warranty doesn't cover physical damage I have one on my Sony, maybe throw a phatt moving blanket or two over it or even have some one with an industrial sewing machine make a cover out of two of them (maybe a seamstress or canvas /sail maker/canvas shop ) which wont be cheap at a sailmaker/canvas shop and as if you could trust the kids not to have it on while they are down there.
hey I know ......maybe put an 8 ft patio door in front of it or heavy theater curtains
LOL..."Patio Door"...hilarious..there's no way I want anything that is intended to stay on during viewing...just something I can take on and off..and leave on when I know the kids are down there...it's seldom that they will be down there more than a few moments unsupervised..but that's all it takes lol. I looked at sheets of Plexiglass at Lowes..thinking I could prob fairly easily make one myself..but they only make them up to 36"x72" ..not big enough! Those plain sheets are like $64. I was thinking of taking one of them and wrapping it in thick foam padding or even thick bubble wrap lol..then devise an overhang at the top so it would securely "drape" over the top edge of the TV and hold it on. So much easier to buy the Vizomax one in my link..but $400+ for a piece of plexiglass makes me cringe.....So thre isn't like an additional "add on" to the Square Trade warranty I can buy? lol....

55" LG 9600 OLED (Living Room)
75" SONY XBR 940C (Basement)
post #6819 of 14433 Old 01-18-2016, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

Honestly....even though it's low tech and looks kind of sloppy...a couple thick moving blankets probably would be the best balance between efficacy and cost....I'll still take more ideas though! lol

55" LG 9600 OLED (Living Room)
75" SONY XBR 940C (Basement)
post #6820 of 14433 Old 01-18-2016, 10:44 AM

Quote:
LOL..."Patio Door"...hilarious..there's no way I want anything that is intended to stay on during viewing...just something I can take on and off..and leave on when I know the kids are down there...it's seldom that they will be down there more than a few moments unsupervised..but that's all it takes lol. I looked at sheets of Plexiglass at Lowes..thinking I could prob fairly easily make one myself..but they only make them up to 36"x72" ..not big enough! Those plain sheets are like $64. I was thinking of taking one of them and wrapping it in thick foam padding or even thick bubble wrap lol..then devise an overhang at the top so it would securely "drape" over the top edge of the TV and hold it on. So much easier to buy the Vizomax one in my link..but $400+ for a piece of plexiglass makes me cringe.....So thre isn't like an additional "add on" to the Square Trade warranty I can buy? lol....
Maybe Homeowners insurance will cover it above the deductible ?....if not try a rider on your homeowners or renters insurance maybe an agent can help you with that . For example if you were over at someone else's home and accidentally damaged their TV or burned the carpet with a phatt blunt your Homeowners insurance should cover that .

Last edited by Z1-B; 01-18-2016 at 10:56 AM.
post #6821 of 14433 Old 01-18-2016, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Ultraflix pushing HDR mode?

Curious to hear if anyone else is watching Ultraflix has it changing video mode to HDR? I was watching Aeon Flux and I noticed extreme bright reds. I went to picture adjustments and sure enough it was in HDR mode. I put it back to my Cinema Pro custom settings and looked much better. Is Ultraflix trying to push HDR mode because I thought the TV only selected it when it's detected.

regards,

DK
post #6822 of 14433 Old 01-18-2016, 03:10 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSPerera View Post
Ok heres what i have found. There is some major issues with this TV and my Pioneer Sclx 86/ SC68 (US)

Firstly heres the list of issues.

1) The receiver only connects to HDMI 4(ARC) and works. Any other inputs on the TV I dont get an image (All I get is no Signal detected)
2) My HTPC via the receiver use to be able to select 4k Resoultion on my Previous Sony tv (X900A) on the X93 maximum resolution selectable is 1080p.
3) When I playback a 3d movie via my Pioneer bluray player via the receiver, the movie plays but unable to select 3d as it states that I need a 3d compatible player and Tv combo. My Oppo player on the other hand
I was able to go into the Oppo menu as select Force 3d and it works. If I turn of the Force 3d it doesnt. Both players direct connection to the TV works. All HDMI inputs on the TV works with other devices to rule out a TV issue. I beleive this issue is an incompatibilty with the Receiver and the TV or unless my receiver has all of a sudden developed a fault.

Anyone with issues remotely like this please let me know a solution if anyone knows.
After much fiddling around heres what I found in relation to 3d. The Oppo series Bluray players has an option to Force 3d and it works via the Pioneer Receiver. The Xbox One 3d update works as well with the X93. However the PS4 doesn't and the Pioneer bluray player doesn't. The reason being it has to do with HDMI Edid not getting recognised at the TV end when going through the Pioneer Receiver. The PS3 for example can be directly hooked up to the x93. It then memorises the setting and then you disconnect it and re-connect it back into the receiver thus tricking it into sending the 3d signal as it doesn't check for the EDID again. Unfortunately this doesn't work with the PS4 or the Pioneer bluray player.

What this actually means is the X93 HDMI 2.0a is not compatible or has issues with previous versions of HDMI specs. In this case the HDMI 1.3 in my receiver. I suspect this is the same problem I am having with the receiver not being able to pass through 4k even tho its a 4k passthrough receiver.

Last edited by CSPerera; 01-18-2016 at 03:15 PM.
post #6823 of 14433 Old 01-18-2016, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi everybody! I recently purchased a Sony 940c and I have directv via HDMI connection. For some reason I just don't think the picture quality is very good or very clear. I am not sure where to start and what to do. I watched a few shows on Netflix and things look good on Netflix so do you think it's my directv? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
post #6824 of 14433 Old 01-18-2016, 08:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick328 View Post
Hi everybody! I recently purchased a Sony 940c and I have directv via HDMI connection. For some reason I just don't think the picture quality is very good or very clear. I am not sure where to start and what to do. I watched a few shows on Netflix and things look good on Netflix so do you think it's my directv? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Congrats on the new 940C! I do not know what the output settings for video are on your set top box for DirectTv, if there is a 1080p or auto setting? Don't forget, the 940C upscales everything to 4K. You will get many more replies here. I know that Ken Ross also has the 940C and DirectTv and I am sure there are a few others here.
post #6825 of 14433 Old 01-18-2016, 08:48 PM

Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Quoted: 12875 Post(s)
Liked: 12245
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkyork View Post
Curious to hear if anyone else is watching Ultraflix has it changing video mode to HDR? I was watching Aeon Flux and I noticed extreme bright reds. I went to picture adjustments and sure enough it was in HDR mode. I put it back to my Cinema Pro custom settings and looked much better. Is Ultraflix trying to push HDR mode because I thought the TV only selected it when it's detected.

regards,

DK
what movie? did the title or anything advertise HDR? ultraflix is supposed to be launching HDR this month.

82Q90R*75Q9FN(RIP)*55C8OLED*Galaxy Note10+*Ub820 fed into Oppo 203*XB1X*4k DenonX4200

MASTER LIST OF HDR CONTENT THREAD HERE, UPDATED OFTEN
post #6826 of 14433 Old 01-18-2016, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
ultraflix is supposed to be launching HDR this month.
Have you heard anything about NF yet?

post #6827 of 14433 Old 01-18-2016, 09:53 PM

Patrick328
Quote:
Make sure your DTV box or DVR is set fot 1080i or 1080p if it has that FWIW all the cable /sat services outside of a few small ones are HD lite and compressed/bit shaped and bit starved and *actually * not a full 1080i or 720p and so is the content they often get at the head end .

The bigger the screen is when all the noise and bit starving and compression artifacts become more visible

Setting the Gamma correctly -1 or -2 no more than 0 and maybe using Standard Picture Mode with Color at maybe 45- 50 ,Color Temp at Warm or Expert 1 and Brightness and Contrast at max and Black Level at 50 and Motion Flow at Custom ,Smoothness no more than 2-3 and Clearness at minimum and Clarity > Sharpness at 50 and Reality Creation at Manual and Resolution at 20 -25 (and 75 on interlaced SD content ) might help and both Noise Reduction [off ]... or similar settings in Cinema Home /Cinema Pro .
ofc. a calibration might help also .

Last edited by Z1-B; 01-18-2016 at 10:04 PM.
post #6828 of 14433 Old 01-18-2016, 10:02 PM

Quote:

Netflix hdr won't be til june.
brickyardz likes this.

82Q90R*75Q9FN(RIP)*55C8OLED*Galaxy Note10+*Ub820 fed into Oppo 203*XB1X*4k DenonX4200

post #6829 of 14433 Old 01-18-2016, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Netflix hdr won't be til june.
Thanx, ray.

ray0414 likes this.
post #6830 of 14433 Old 01-18-2016, 11:15 PM

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hey guys, wondering if u have any suggestions. First sony 950b had debris under glass that was visible from across room and bad clouding even when fald engaged. Second one had minor debris under glass, also some minor clouding even with fald engaged, some glitch with backlighting flickering at times, and yellowing to whites on portions of panel, and minor dse. Third had completely non whites, but yellowish tinge over all of panel. All whites, grays, and entire color spectrum on panel much more dull looking and significantly less bright. Even magnolia guy said it didn't look right. So now going to try 4th one. Magnolia manager said he will likely not be able to order another one of these same tvs, and I'm just wondering if u have any insight and/or experience as to how I can go about interacting with the manager to get him to order yet another one if the 4th has serious manufacturing defects as well. I already tried the sony 850c and 930c. The 950b is definitely the tv I want without a single doubt. Would consider 940c but too much $ and not interested in oled. Any suggestions in dealing with magnolia manager would be most appreciated. Many many thanks for your help. I greatly appreciate it!
post #6831 of 14433 Old 01-19-2016, 05:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
what movie? did the title or anything advertise HDR? ultraflix is supposed to be launching HDR this month.
It was Aeon Flux. It did not advertise HDR and the HDR mode destroyed the look of the movie. The movie was not made for HDR, so it's weird my tv switched over to it.

DK
post #6832 of 14433 Old 01-19-2016, 06:07 AM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 7433 Post(s)
Liked: 8325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick328 View Post
Congrats on your new 940c!

I have Directv and find the PQ is very dependent on the channel and show. This is more a function of the originating broadcast than either Directv or the 940c.

Brickyardz's suggestion was a good one. Make sure your DVR is set to output 1080i. I prefer that to Native output since channel changes are quicker. Using Native slows down things each time you change to a channel with a different resolution 1080i, 720p or 480i).

We were watching Colony on USA and the PQ was really excellent on the 940c. Play around with Reality creation and sharpness settings to see what looks best to you.
C-Dub006, King Richard and Z1-B like this.
post #6833 of 14433 Old 01-19-2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Flatpanelshd has an article today that says daredevil season 2 will be out in march in hdr and will support both hdr10 and dolby vision.

For more hdr news and releases this thread gets updated as soon as anything breaks:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...ted-often.html
oink and brickyardz like this.

post #6834 of 14433 Old 01-19-2016, 08:44 AM

Quote:
It was Aeon Flux. It did not advertise HDR and the HDR mode destroyed the look of the movie. The movie was not made for HDR, so it's weird my tv switched over to it.

DK
Probably just a glitch that it switched over. Both samsung and sony owners have reported glitchy settings after watching hdr and it switching into hdr mode at the wrong times.

post #6835 of 14433 Old 01-19-2016, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1899 Post(s)
Liked: 1306
Quote:

regards,

DK
This happens to me frequently with YouTube and regular TV. I think it's a bug in the TV software as it can be fixed with a reset. Sometimes I don't have the ability to switch out of it, so consider yourself lucky you can change the mode.
post #6836 of 14433 Old 01-19-2016, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quick update, 940c just got dropped off currently updating firmware, I have not seen any content on it yet but wow this is a huge set.

What is the best way for me to clean the screen and bezel?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
frapso likes this.

Sony 940c 75" Display, Marantz AV8801, HTPC, JTR 215RM Mains & JTR 210RM Center, DIY Surrounds, Crown Xti & Cdi Amps, Seaton Submersive HP+ Master and Slave.
post #6837 of 14433 Old 01-19-2016, 11:59 AM

Also does anyone recommend some calibration settings to get me started in the right direction. Room is very dark most of the time.

I'm watching Jessica Jones 4k on Netflix and I have to admit the picture is very grainy. Any ideas?

Sony 940c 75" Display, Marantz AV8801, HTPC, JTR 215RM Mains & JTR 210RM Center, DIY Surrounds, Crown Xti & Cdi Amps, Seaton Submersive HP+ Master and Slave.

Last edited by Chriscorv58; 01-19-2016 at 12:03 PM.
post #6838 of 14433 Old 01-19-2016, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscorv58 View Post
Also does anyone recommend some calibration settings to get me started in the right direction. Room is very dark most of the time.
There is no real consensus on Settings here.
In fact, they seem to differ wildly from user to user.

Quote:
I'm watching Jessica Jones 4k on Netflix and I have to admit the picture is very grainy. Any ideas?
It is supposed to be noirish looking.
Post a pic so we can see exactly what you are referring to.

post #6839 of 14433 Old 01-19-2016, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscorv58 View Post

The graininess on netlfix has been a common complaint. In my opinion it ruins the show because I am distracted by grain!
AVmanic likes this.

post #6840 of 14433 Old 01-19-2016, 01:22 PM

Quote:
The graininess on netlfix has been a common complaint. In my opinion it ruins the show because I am distracted by grain!
I'll post some pictures when I get back to the house. I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing this grain. It's not at some extreme level but it's so hit or miss. One moment the picture is out standing next it's it switches to a darker scene and there is grain where the camera is out of focus

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
940C , hdr , Sony , X930C , X940C

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page