**Official** Sony X930C / X940C Owners Thread - Page 276 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7015Likes

post #8251 of 14409 Old 03-01-2016, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATechGuy View Post
And this is on your 940C, right? I, like many others with 930C don't seem to have this issue. It may also be your sub, as the owners with the Sony sub seem to see the problem less often too. Is your K830 connected with Bluetooth or the unifying adapter? Try pulling that off for a short while and see if your sub-woofer problem disappears.
I have the 930C a Sony sub, and the TV was stable for awhile. I have had the K830 keyboard in the mix since Nov. I have had problems before and after the latest firmware. The equipment is fine,, IT'S SONY' SOFTWARE that needs REPAIR. I never had a lot of these issues with my old 900B. Maybe this new chip X-1 is giving Sony the problems.
I have phoned Sony so many times with NO results. Phoning Sony is a waste of time.

Sony- 75Z PS3 / Anthem- D2v.3d A5 amp / Bryston- 7Bsst2 x 2 / Torus- AVR2-20 / cables- PS-Audio AC12 x 3 amps / Ultralink- TOO many
Paradigm- SIGs S8v3 C5v1 ADP3v1 Reference- CC490v5 x 2 SUB15 / DIY- Custom Stand
OPPO-205 / URC- MSC400 MX980 4 Light switches

Every day above ground is a good day....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8252 of 14409 Old 03-01-2016, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Just received my 930C yesterday. Spent about 30 mins doing the firmware update and I tried messing with the picture settings but couldnt find anything I liked. Vivid was too bright, natural was too bland, and cinema home needed a slight boost in brightness but every time I messed with the brightness/gamma/contrast the pq would take a hit....I like the upconversion on it for 720p but when I set my Fios to 1080i it seems worse? Also i'm a fan of the SoE and I cant seem to turn this on even with motion/clarity settings set to max. Watched Avengers: Age of Ultron on HBO or Starz HD last night and noticed a bit of blockiness occasionally. Will try watching blurays on my PS4 tonight after work and see how that looks...I was considering this or t

I tried using CCsoftball's settings but that made everything dark/monotone even with all the light off (i reset the settings before making the changes), maybe it's due to the firmware update?

I'm coming from a sammy 55H7150 so maybe my eyes are used to the oversaturation/brightness...

Aside from going through the 300 pages on this thread which I will eventually do, does anyone have any tips /suggestions/settings I could try using?

I have my STB hooked up to my denon x3200 using hdmi4 (arc). I've read on here that some Marantz AVR dont allow for full pixel or something...
post #8253 of 14409 Old 03-01-2016, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2kro View Post
Just received my 930C yesterday. Spent about 30 mins doing the firmware update and I tried messing with the picture settings but couldnt find anything I liked. Vivid was too bright, natural was too bland, and cinema home needed a slight boost in brightness but every time I messed with the brightness/gamma/contrast the pq would take a hit....I like the upconversion on it for 720p but when I set my Fios to 1080i it seems worse? Also i'm a fan of the SoE and I cant seem to turn this on even with motion/clarity settings set to max. Watched Avengers: Age of Ultron on HBO or Starz HD last night and noticed a bit of blockiness occasionally. Will try watching blurays on my PS4 tonight after work and see how that looks...I was considering this or t

I tried using CCsoftball's settings but that made everything dark/monotone even with all the light off (i reset the settings before making the changes), maybe it's due to the firmware update?

I'm coming from a sammy 55H7150 so maybe my eyes are used to the oversaturation/brightness...

Aside from going through the 300 pages on this thread which I will eventually do, does anyone have any tips /suggestions/settings I could try using?

I have my STB hooked up to my denon x3200 using hdmi4 (arc). I've read on here that some Marantz AVR dont allow for full pixel or something...
Im back to using the standard setting.. I might be nutz but I feel like the picture quality is improving over time maybe give it a few days. I seem to like something between vivid and standard. Everything else is to warm looking for my liking. I think I like over saturation over accuracy maybe.

I also turned the light sensor off seems to muddy the picture, in fact alot of the settings seem to remove details.

Last edited by veli1; 03-01-2016 at 12:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8254 of 14409 Old 03-01-2016, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw View Post
We have a guy from AP on the X850C thread who has been trying the same thing for a while - he's successfully flashed FW from multiple countries on his TV and side-loaded the missing apps like Amazon app, and can play content from it except for HDR content. He's flashed FW from other countries and experimented a lot. The Amazon app appears to have a check in it that blocks HDR on sets that they (Sony/Amazon) don't want it to appear on. I have some of his info captured in the FAQ in my sig on the Read this First tab at the bottom in the section on software updates.
Thanks a lot mate. Really appreciate it. Also thanks to anyone else who chimed in with suggestions. I will do some experimentation and see how I get on. Getflix does allow me to stream American Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime from my computer. Not sure how I would get a vpn client of any kind onto the TV or if this somehow takes place on the modem itself. Will give the sideloading a go.
post #8255 of 14409 Old 03-01-2016, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:

CNET calibration FAQ's comment on this issue:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNET Calibration FAQ
I tried your settings and they're too dark. What gives?
Some viewers are used to brighter images, and in comparison our calibration might seem too dark. We prefer an image that's a bit darker, however, to one that can cause eyestrain in dark rooms, spoil black-level performance, reveal excessive video noise or make the image appear generally less-natural--all of which can happen with overly bright settings. But hey, if you like a brighter picture, feel free to turn it up.
One thing you can try is enabling the light sensor in the Picture mode settings for the inputs/app groups you are using. Purists will blanch at that idea, but that will brighten up the picture when your viewing area is brightly lit, which will help. I had to do that to keep my wife happy - she didn't want to have to adjust or change picture settings for day/evening, so we compromised on the overall settings I liked but w/the light sensor on to increase brightness during the day.

2015 Sony X850C FAQ: Recommended Picture settings, 3D FAQ, HDR FAQ, DirecTV 4K Ready FAQ, Troubleshooting & common problems; Dropbox Link || Alternate Google Drive FAQ Link. || My gear: TV - Sony XBR75X850C, BD - Sony BDP S350, AVR - Pioneer VSX-1020, Speakers - RBH MC-616C MKII Center Channel, RBH MC-6C MKII Bookshelf (fronts), RBH MC-615 In-ceiling surrounds, RBH TS-10AP 200W self-powered sub.
post #8256 of 14409 Old 03-01-2016, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1510 Post(s)
Liked: 1059
@s2kro

Use CCsoftball's daytime settings. I use it for both night and day watching.

Display - LG OLED
Receiver - Denon
Speakers - Klipsch
Subs - Rythmik
post #8257 of 14409 Old 03-01-2016, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 6
X930c

Just posting this as I need one more post to be able to send private messages. Might as well ask a question while I'm at it. Have only had my X930C for a couple days and am currently watching everything on the stock standard settings. To be honest, I have found 4k video from USB, Youtube and Netflix to look great. I'm also perfectly happy with how upscaled HD content from Netflix looks. I haven't yet tested out any standard Blu Rays but will do so shortly. I'm not dying to change any picture settings just yet, but if/when I do, what do you guys think are the most important settings to consider tinkering (and in what direction)? Lower motion processing? Lower the black adjust? Not looking for anything major. Just a few suggestions that you think would be a good starting point that MAY give an immediate improvement.

As a sidenote, I've tested a couple of PS4 games and they were the least impressive of everything I have seen on the TV thus far. Maybe it doesn't upscale as well. Colours weren't so great and it gave me the impression that it was slightly "blown up"
post #8258 of 14409 Old 03-01-2016, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked: 811
While checking out Smurfs 2 4K BD I noticed I have a dead pixel on the left side of my X940C. Not cool at $8k.

Sony 77A9G / Marantz SR-7012 / Martin Logan Motion 60XT, 50XT, Motion 4, Motion FX / 2 x Rythmik FV15HP / AppleTV 4K / ShieldTV / 130TB Plex Server
post #8259 of 14409 Old 03-01-2016, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad321 View Post
Just posting this as I need one more post to be able to send private messages. Might as well ask a question while I'm at it. Have only had my X930C for a couple days and am currently watching everything on the stock standard settings. To be honest, I have found 4k video from USB, Youtube and Netflix to look great. I'm also perfectly happy with how upscaled HD content from Netflix looks. I haven't yet tested out any standard Blu Rays but will do so shortly. I'm not dying to change any picture settings just yet, but if/when I do, what do you guys think are the most important settings to consider tinkering (and in what direction)? Lower motion processing? Lower the black adjust? Not looking for anything major. Just a few suggestions that you think would be a good starting point that MAY give an immediate improvement.

As a sidenote, I've tested a couple of PS4 games and they were the least impressive of everything I have seen on the TV thus far. Maybe it doesn't upscale as well. Colours weren't so great and it gave me the impression that it was slightly "blown up"
Most important is to get brightness and black level down and don't use the auto light sensor as you know it will darken your picture.

There's a calibration disk you can download from these forums called avs ? Crap can't remember the name now haha.. AVSForum maybe? Anyways, you download thst and burn it to a DVD and slap it into your blu ray player to adjust the picture.. once you get that down try to use the same settings for other inputs you use.

Really there's only a couple of test patterns you'll want to use.. one for adjusting brightness and another for color and black level.

There's even a video built into the disk explaining how to calibrate wit the disk.

Best to have a blue filter on hand to adjust the color. I have one with the Disney wow calibration blu ray.

Also your tv may have a blue screen built into the menu that you can turn on to do the color test and adjust with that.. I know the 940c does.
post #8260 of 14409 Old 03-01-2016, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar2k4 View Post
While checking out Smurfs 2 4K BD I noticed I have a dead pixel on the left side of my X940C. Not cool at $8k.
That sucks!! I just bought the movie as well.. Guess it's a sure fire way of finding out since it's a full frame movie with no black borders.
post #8261 of 14409 Old 03-01-2016, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 775 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeclypse View Post
Most important is to get brightness and black level down and don't use the auto light sensor as you know it will darken your picture.

There's a calibration disk you can download from these forums called avs ? Crap can't remember the name now haha.. AVSForum maybe? Anyways, you download thst and burn it to a DVD and slap it into your blu ray player to adjust the picture.. once you get that down try to use the same settings for other inputs you use.

Really there's only a couple of test patterns you'll want to use.. one for adjusting brightness and another for color and black level.

There's even a video built into the disk explaining how to calibrate wit the disk.

Best to have a blue filter on hand to adjust the color. I have one with the Disney wow calibration blu ray.

Also your tv may have a blue screen built into the menu that you can turn on to do the color test and adjust with that.. I know the 940c does.

How do you get to the blue screen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty6&2 View Post
#1 I bought the cable that I thought would work to outsource the low freq signals to my REL T9 subwoofer. However, it appears it won't work. Has anyone run a 3.5 mm to RCA (only one vs two) to their subwoofer and had success?

#2 Since you guys clued me into the fact that I wasn't watching Mad Dogs in 4K, I now am. However, when watching the next episode (episode 6) in HDR picture mode--it looked terribly over contrasted. I thought I read somewhere that people weren't sure if that particular episode was in HDR--can someone confirm? And--are there any settings for that picture mode that I should make or should it look fairly good out of the gate?

Thanks!

I also noticed that there is no HDR for Mad Dogs episode 6. I need to check episode 7 to see if it's the same. I believe the other HDR shows are still showing HDR.
post #8262 of 14409 Old 03-01-2016, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veli1 View Post
Im back to using the standard setting.. I might be nutz but I feel like the picture quality is improving over time maybe give it a few days. I seem to like something between vivid and standard. Everything else is to warm looking for my liking. I think I like over saturation over accuracy maybe.

I also turned the light sensor off seems to muddy the picture, in fact alot of the settings seem to remove details.
I had a few lights turned on and the light sensor made everything even darker than what it already was so I decided to turn the feature off. Starting to think this is also the case for me, vivid is a hair too much and standard is a bit too little.

Quote:
CNET calibration FAQ's comment on this issue:

One thing you can try is enabling the light sensor in the Picture mode settings for the inputs/app groups you are using. Purists will blanch at that idea, but that will brighten up the picture when your viewing area is brightly lit, which will help. I had to do that to keep my wife happy - she didn't want to have to adjust or change picture settings for day/evening, so we compromised on the overall settings I liked but w/the light sensor on to increase brightness during the day.
Thank you, I didnt find any settings so I submitted a discussion. Last night when I enabled the light sensor the screen got even darker so I left it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT78681 View Post
@s2kro

Use CCsoftball's daytime settings. I use it for both night and day watching.
I will try them when I get home. Not too sure but I think I used his night time settings (while pitch dark)
post #8263 of 14409 Old 03-01-2016, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeclypse View Post
That sucks!! I just bought the movie as well.. Guess it's a sure fire way of finding out since it's a full frame movie with no black borders.
So I called Sony Support and the technician told me that this is normal on LCD panels. He asked me if I was satisfied with his explanation. I respond with the fact that I have other LCD TVs and monitors (some of which I have had for several years) that have zero dead pixels and I spent a fraction of the money on them. I told him that at $8K and less than 8 months old this was unacceptable. He has passed me on to a customer relations team. Can't wait to hear what kind of crap they try and feed me next. I'm sorry, I understand perfectly well the pros and cons of LCD panels and that dead/bright pixels happen, but at that price someone d*** well better do something about it.
oink likes this.

Sony 77A9G / Marantz SR-7012 / Martin Logan Motion 60XT, 50XT, Motion 4, Motion FX / 2 x Rythmik FV15HP / AppleTV 4K / ShieldTV / 130TB Plex Server
post #8264 of 14409 Old 03-01-2016, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Hey all,

Can anyone please confirm that the width spacing of the wall mount holes on the 940c is actually 400mm (15.7")? That is what the Sony spec document says, however, I find it hard to believe that they are only 4" wider than my 55" TV. I expected them to be much further out to distribute the weight of the TV across the bracket more.

Thanks!

Tony
post #8265 of 14409 Old 03-01-2016, 04:55 PM

Just tried CCsoftball's daytime settings and its too dark, darker than standard....

Right now I have it on the following settings which I find passable but any dark scenes everything looks black/undetailed, and the sharpness isnt that detailed and there's slight blockiness when panning/fast motion but im accounting it to it being Fios...Still no SOE as everyone claimed this had (something I want).

Picture mode
Standard

Auto picture
Off

Brightness Max
Contrast Max
Gamma Min
Black Level 50
Black Adjust low
Adv Contrast enhancer High (makes screen brighter)
Auto local dimming low
X-tended Dynamic Range high (cant see a difference with it on/off)

Color 70
Hue 0
Color Temp Cool
Adv Color Temp Max for RBG gain
color space Auto
Live Color High

Clarity
Sharpness 30
Reality Creation Manual
Resolution Max
Random Noise Reduction High
Digital Noise Reduction High

Motion
Motionflow Custom
Smoothness Max
Clearness Min (gets super dark so I set it to min)
Cinemotion High
post #8266 of 14409 Old 03-01-2016, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtdisturbed47 View Post
It's not just the Netflix loading screen, it'll do this with regular content too.
Exactly. I found it very distracting.
post #8267 of 14409 Old 03-01-2016, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
So I called Sony Support and the technician told me that this is normal on LCD panels. He asked me if I was satisfied with his explanation. I respond with the fact that I have other LCD TVs and monitors (some of which I have had for several years) that have zero dead pixels and I spent a fraction of the money on them. I told him that at $8K and less than 8 months old this was unacceptable. He has passed me on to a customer relations team. Can't wait to hear what kind of crap they try and feed me next. I'm sorry, I understand perfectly well the pros and cons of LCD panels and that dead/bright pixels happen, but at that price someone d*** well better do something about it.
Tomorrow my 4th X940C is going to be delivered. I feel the same way you do.

The first one had vertical banding right down the middle.
The 2nd one had very noticeable flashlighting at the bottom and DSE.
This one has 4 stuck pixels and DSE.

I can say from experience that the odds of getting a perfect panel are slim to none. Good luck with Sony, but I'm pretty sure they'll tell you there's nothing they can do for you if there's only one dead pixel. Honestly, a replacement panel will probably have it's own issues. I'm going to try my best not to overly scrutinize this one, because it can drive you crazy.

Last edited by gutter24; 03-01-2016 at 05:23 PM.
post #8268 of 14409 Old 03-01-2016, 05:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1695 Post(s)
Liked: 1287
Quote:
Just tried CCsoftball's daytime settings and its too dark, darker than standard....

Right now I have it on the following settings which I find passable but any dark scenes everything looks black/undetailed, and the sharpness isnt that detailed and there's slight blockiness when panning/fast motion but im accounting it to it being Fios...Still no SOE as everyone claimed this had (something I want).

Picture mode
Standard

Auto picture
Off

Brightness Max
Contrast Max
Gamma Min
Black Level 50
Black Adjust low
Auto local dimming low

Color 70
Hue 0
Color Temp Cool
color space Auto
Live Color High

Clarity
Sharpness 30
Reality Creation Manual
Resolution Max

Motion
Motionflow Custom
Smoothness Max
Cinemotion High
Wow, you really like an over saturated picture I think if you gave my settings a few days you might be surprised. I thought the same thing as you about the color until I retrained my eyes. Your set may be different, but I think you are used to seeing the Samsung over saturation.

Sony XBR75X940C & XBR65A1E Samsung UBD K8500
My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps(Video), My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps, My non-HDR and HDR Settings, Setting HDMI to show no overscan
Sony XBR75X940C, Samsung UBD K8500, Roku Ultra, DirecTV RVU and C61K, Chromecast Ultra
post #8269 of 14409 Old 03-01-2016, 05:54 PM

I think our sets are different I don't think I could adjust to the point yours looked good on mine
post #8270 of 14409 Old 03-01-2016, 05:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:

Picture mode
Standard

Auto picture
Off

Brightness Max
Contrast Max
Gamma Min
Black Level 50
Black Adjust low
Auto local dimming low

Color 70
Hue 0
Color Temp Cool
color space Auto
Live Color High

Clarity
Sharpness 30
Reality Creation Manual
Resolution Max

Motion
Motionflow Custom
Smoothness Max
Cinemotion High
I'd suggest below...see if these help you.

Clarity:
Sharpness 50
Reality Creation Manual
Resolution 20
Random Noise Reduction Off
Digital Noise Reduction Off

Brightness
Try Gamma back at 0.

As noted, you seem to like a very saturated image, but your changes in Clarity are probably creating some of your problems w/the image.
GOBAYS likes this.

2015 Sony X850C FAQ: Recommended Picture settings, 3D FAQ, HDR FAQ, DirecTV 4K Ready FAQ, Troubleshooting & common problems; Dropbox Link || Alternate Google Drive FAQ Link. || My gear: TV - Sony XBR75X850C, BD - Sony BDP S350, AVR - Pioneer VSX-1020, Speakers - RBH MC-616C MKII Center Channel, RBH MC-6C MKII Bookshelf (fronts), RBH MC-615 In-ceiling surrounds, RBH TS-10AP 200W self-powered sub.
post #8271 of 14409 Old 03-01-2016, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavKaz View Post
Share picture from my set (930x)
That's really nice bias lighting. Care to share?
post #8272 of 14409 Old 03-01-2016, 07:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Liked: 659
940c owners with k8500 handshake problem

Do any of you 940c or 930c owners with a k8500 get a lot of handshaking problems. I noticed if I jump into a blu Ray or back into the menu a lot of times I'll get the green screen saying I have no signal. If I wait for 15-30 seconds it will usally come back on. Is there any settings I can change that will stop this? I have mine set at max resolution and 4.4.4 color, I also tried auto.
post #8273 of 14409 Old 03-01-2016, 08:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 260 Post(s)
Quoted: 12688 Post(s)
Liked: 11937
Quote:

Be careful.

Getting a panel change for 1 dead pixel can sometimes turn into a nightmare when the new panel has banding or multiple dead pixels or other issues.

They actually have an "allowed" amount of dead pixels per square foot or something. On a 65" tv you need like 6-8 before it qualifies as defective.

Rule of them has always been that if u have 1 dead pixel but the rest of your uniformity is perfect, to let it go, especially if u really can't see it from your normal seating distance.

If the tv was brand new, exchanging the whole tv would be an option for sure but at this point its iffy as hell to take a panel replacement risk.
Ken Ross, Danabw, iatacs19 and 1 others like this.
post #8274 of 14409 Old 03-01-2016, 08:06 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 7370 Post(s)
Liked: 8247
Quote:
Originally Posted by gutter24 View Post
Tomorrow my 4th X940C is going to be delivered. I feel the same way you do.

The first one had vertical banding right down the middle.
The 2nd one had very noticeable flashlighting at the bottom and DSE.
This one has 4 stuck pixels and DSE.

I can say from experience that the odds of getting a perfect panel are slim to none. Good luck with Sony, but I'm pretty sure they'll tell you there's nothing they can do for you if there's only one dead pixel. Honestly, a replacement panel will probably have it's own issues. I'm going to try my best not to overly scrutinize this one, because it can drive you crazy.
To be fair, as can be seen from this voluminous thread, complaints regarding QC are rare among 940c owners. I'm not even sure how you get flashlighting on a FALD panel, but I think you've run into a string of bad luck. I can't recall anyone having gone through 3 units.

I hope your luck changes!
post #8275 of 14409 Old 03-01-2016, 08:08 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 7370 Post(s)
Liked: 8247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamd View Post
Do any of you 940c or 930c owners with a k8500 get a lot of handshaking problems. I noticed if I jump into a blu Ray or back into the menu a lot of times I'll get the green screen saying I have no signal. If I wait for 15-30 seconds it will usally come back on. Is there any settings I can change that will stop this? I have mine set at max resolution and 4.4.4 color, I also tried auto.
Yup, I do tend to get that in just the manner you've described. If I simply pause the picture, no issues. However going into the menu and back will sometimes create a handshake issue.

I don't know what settings will alter that behavior.
CCsoftball7 likes this.
post #8276 of 14409 Old 03-01-2016, 08:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
Be careful.

Getting a panel change for 1 dead pixel can sometimes turn into a nightmare when the new panel has banding or multiple dead pixels or other issues.

They actually have an "allowed" amount of dead pixels per square foot or something. On a 65" tv you need like 6-8 before it qualifies as defective.

Rule of them has always been that if u have 1 dead pixel but the rest of your uniformity is perfect, to let it go, especially if u really can't see it from your normal seating distance.

If the tv was brand new, exchanging the whole tv would be an option for sure but at this point its iffy as hell to take a panel replacement risk.
I agree with what you are saying. It is risky indeed, but now that I know where the pixel is it sticks out like a sore thumb. I think it just burns me that I should be having this problem as I have a 50" Vizio 4K that I have had for longer that still has a perfect panel or my 4K Dell monitor that is even older and is in perfect condition. Granted they aren't the same size, but they still have 8 million pixels...

For this kind of money I should have made it longer than 8 months...

post #8277 of 14409 Old 03-01-2016, 08:32 PM

Quote:
I'd suggest below...see if these help you.

Clarity:
Sharpness 50
Reality Creation Manual
Resolution 20
Digital Noise Reduction Off

Brightness
Try Gamma back at 0.

As noted, you seem to like a very saturated image, but your changes in Clarity are probably creating some of your problems w/the image.
Here are my settings for now App Video
Picture Mode Vivid
Light Sensor Off
Brightness 20
Contrast Max
Gamma -2
Black level 35
Black Adjust High
Adv. contrast enhancer High
Auto local Dimming Medium
X-tended Dynamic Range high
Color 50
Hue 0
Color Temperature Neutral
Color Space BT.2020 What does this do?
Live color High
Sharpness 50
Reality Creation Off
Digital noise reduction Off
All Motion Options off

I like these settings so far its a tad too dark. If anyone has Avengers at the beginning there is a very dark scene where the camera pans up a stair case around 40 seconds in. On the 65js8500 the scene looked incredible the stair case looked real I cant get it too look as good so far, I can see the tv is doing so kinda of processing (maybe the upscaling?) If you look at the lights reflecting on the steps its almost like its being dithered? only using a few colors.

HD Content on the JS8500 looked sharper(Avengers,House of cards, Prometheus(sp?)) , it seems to have deeper blacks(better contrast)? The difference isnt huge but even the wife notices.

X930C seems to handle motion better (I didnt like the motion on the js8500), and I like the android TV, I even like the menus once you get used to them. It also seems to do a better job with the cable feed.

Last edited by veli1; 03-01-2016 at 09:18 PM.
post #8278 of 14409 Old 03-01-2016, 09:15 PM

Mentioned: 260 Post(s)
Quoted: 12688 Post(s)
Liked: 11937
Quote:
Originally Posted by veli1 View Post
Here are my settings for now App Video
Picture Mode Vivid
Light Sensor Off
Brightness 20
Contrast Max
Gamma -2
Black level 35
Black Adjust High
Adv. contrast enhancer High
Auto local Dimming Medium
X-tended Dynamic Range high
Color 50
Hue 0
Color Temperature Neutral
Color Space BT.2020 What does this do?
Live color High
Sharpness 50
Reality Creation Off
Digital noise reduction Off
All Motion Options off

I like these settings so far its a tad too dark. If anyone has Avengers at the beginning there is a very dark scene where the camera pans up a stair case around 40 seconds in. On the 65js8500 the scene looked incredible the stair case looked real I cant get it too look as good so far, I can see the tv is doing so kinda of processing (maybe the upscaling?) If you look at the lights reflecting on the steps its almost like its being dithered? only using a few colors.

Everything on the JS8500 looked sharper(Avengers,House of cards, Prometheus(sp?)) , it seems to have deeper blacks(better contrast)? The difference isnt huge but even the wife notices. This seems to handle motion better (I didnt like the motion on the js8500), and I like the android TV, I even like the menus once you get used to them.

I think extended dynamic range causes black crush, could be why it appears dark.

Play around with reality creation it may help out with sharpness.
post #8279 of 14409 Old 03-01-2016, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
I think extended dynamic range causes black crush, could be why it appears dark.

Play around with reality creation it may help out with sharpness.
Thanks yeah I just realized that thanks

I feel like the PQ from the internal apps on the Sony is what is letting the TV down. I have no way off proving it but its like the apps dont get some processing the HDMI does. If I play things on my external player they look just a little bit sharper then the same file on the APPs.

Last edited by veli1; 03-01-2016 at 10:04 PM.
post #8280 of 14409 Old 03-01-2016, 09:50 PM
Lionheart of AVS

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked: 4367
To assist with "basic calibration", you can always purchase/download a "Calibration DVD" (such as "AVS HD 709" (free), "DVE HD Basics", "Spears & Munsil", or "Disney WOW: World Of Wonder") which contains test material and patterns that will provide an objective way of measuring the accuracy of the image on your TV.

Richard
CCsoftball7 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
940C , hdr , Sony , X930C , X940C

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page