**Official** Sony X930C / X940C Owners Thread - Page 282 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7016Likes

post #8431 of 14426 Old 03-04-2016, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 136
New 940C Owner

Just ordered the 940C from ABT. They knocked off some more of the price and that was good as the darn taxes in Illinois added it right back (I hate the taxes here with all my might). I still have my 65JS9500 but it's listed for sale on AVS. Finally got a larger screen and can't wait to see it in action. The JS9500 is a great set and blooming when changing channels (OTA) and credit scrolls was the only negative (besides me wanting a bigger screen). Took the wife to BB to show her the 940C and first thing she said is "that's a big screen." I said the same thing in the BB close to work.

Can someone that uses OTA TV tell me if the 940C is user friendly. Like, does it have a nice looking ahead TV schedule. I had a previous Sony UHD that was pretty thin in that area. Also if you like 3D, how is it on the Sony (brightness, ghosting etc.).
C-Dub006 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8432 of 14426 Old 03-04-2016, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtdisturbed47 View Post
I was afraid of that. I've exchanged several televisions over the past few years because of dark scene uniformity issues, but the 930c is the most money I've ever put into a TV, about $2500. Every other thing about it is amazing, I just wish the x930c didn't have the weird edge light bleed during certain dark scenes. Funny thing though, The Martian looked fantastic and I didn't really notice it a whole lot. I'm still torn between exchanging it for a different set that has full-array backlight or just keeping it and learning to ignore it. Decisions, decisions.
If you are like most of us it will be too hard to ignore. Get the FALD and don't look back Jack.
oink likes this.
post #8433 of 14426 Old 03-04-2016, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 161
I wish Sony would unlock all of the picture settings in HDR mode. I would like to experiment with disabling Xtended Dynamic Range and moving Local Dimming to High to see if it helps the X930 to have a more stable image during darker scenes.

Mad Dogs in HDR on the Amazon Video app looks really impressive during daytime scenes, but unfortunately during night scenes the backlight ****s itself. It has actually put me off getting an Ultra HD Bluray player for the time being, as it seems that standard Blurays will provide a far more stable image and they look brilliant on the 930.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8434 of 14426 Old 03-04-2016, 02:49 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 5299 Post(s)
Liked: 3037
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post
Can someone that uses OTA TV tell me if the 940C is user friendly.
IMO, not really.
The main problem is there is no printed manual.
There is information online about the operation of the unit, but it is riddled with marketing-speak and is damn near useless.
Also there is some built-in information accessible thru the GUI, yet there isn't a lot of depth to it either.

This is an Android-powered display and it can be twitchy from time to time.
However, Sony has promised an upgrade to Android 6.0 Marshmallow at some point.

Fortunately, the good thing is there are a lot of experienced owners on this thread you can quiz and are willing to help.

Quote:
Like, does it have a nice looking ahead TV schedule.
Don't know, I have DirecTV.

Quote:
Also if you like 3D, how is it on the Sony (brightness, ghosting etc.).
The 3D on the 940c is the best in the business bar none.

post #8435 of 14426 Old 03-04-2016, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizob View Post
I wish Sony would unlock all of the picture settings in HDR mode. I would like to experiment with disabling Xtended Dynamic Range and moving Local Dimming to High to see if it helps the X930 to have a more stable image during darker scenes.

Mad Dogs in HDR on the Amazon Video app looks really impressive during daytime scenes, but unfortunately during night scenes the backlight ****s itself. It has actually put me off getting an Ultra HD Bluray player for the time being, as it seems that standard Blurays will provide a far more stable image and they look brilliant on the 930.
I know exactly what you mean. HDR needs work as-is but dealing with edge-lit issues, HDR makes it much more obvious.

I really wish they would have made the x930c full-array, because they nailed everything else. I am likely going to exchange my x930c for a Vizio m65-c1, since the local dimming seems to work really well. No HDR (which I won't miss), 120hz via PC HDMI, keyboard on the remote, and motion blur reduction settings similar to Sony. Sucks that I have to downgrade in the color department in order to have a more uniform dark scene experience.
post #8436 of 14426 Old 03-04-2016, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
I know exactly what you mean. HDR needs work as-is but dealing with edge-lit issues, HDR makes it much more obvious.

I really wish they would have made the x930c full-array, because they nailed everything else. I am likely going to exchange my x930c for a Vizio m65-c1, since the local dimming seems to work really well. No HDR (which I won't miss), 120hz via PC HDMI, keyboard on the remote, and motion blur reduction settings similar to Sony. Sucks that I have to downgrade in the color department in order to have a more uniform dark scene experience.
Motion blur reduction isnt that similar.

I returned the 65-c1 and got the 930c and with Fios the judder/interpolation is slightly better with the 930c but with blurays it blows it out of the water. The upscale is incredibly better on the 930C.

With the C1 I tried watching avatar and Troy and the judder ruined the movie for me. The remote on the back is pretty legit, the brightness/contrast/colors were somewhat similar but Sony was slightly better. If I had to do it again I wouldnt say the Sony is worth the extra $1250...Still got about 35 days left to return it to BB, might end up just keeping the UN55H7150 and waiting for the 940C to drop under $3k.
post #8437 of 14426 Old 03-04-2016, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Exclamation Sony 930c + Native Netflix Android TV app: No 5.1 Audio?

I dont get the 5.1 tag for any tv/movies when using the native netflix android tv app from my new Sony xbr65x930c. All apps + tv are up to date.

Arent the built in speakers suppose to be 5.1?

When i use my ps3 netflix app, I can see movies with the 5.1 audio tag.

I dont have any surround sound system hooked up to the tv.

Is this known issue? limitation? setting change needed?

Last edited by LAefj; 03-04-2016 at 03:45 PM. Reason: more info
post #8438 of 14426 Old 03-04-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAefj View Post
I dont get the 5.1 tag for any tv/movies when using the native netflix android tv app from my new Sony xbr65x930c. All apps + tv are up to date.

Arent the built in speakers suppose to be 5.1?

When i use my ps3 netflix app, I can see movies with the 5.1 audio tag.

I dont have any surround sound system hooked up to the tv.

Is this known issue? limitation? setting change needed?
Pretty sure that means it's going to provide compressed 5.1 audio for your audio output, like optical or HDMI, for your receiver to send to your surround sound speakers. Built in speakers are technically just stereo, but there's pseudo subwoofers built into the TV to help deliver more bass to the stereo sound.
post #8439 of 14426 Old 03-04-2016, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Pretty sure that means it's going to provide compressed 5.1 audio for your audio output, like optical or HDMI, for your receiver to send to your surround sound speakers. Built in speakers are technically just stereo, but there's pseudo subwoofers built into the TV to help deliver more bass to the stereo sound.
Vudu app for the android tv recognizes dolby digital plus.
Netflix app is not.

So to me thats odd
post #8440 of 14426 Old 03-04-2016, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1702 Post(s)
Liked: 1303
Quote:
Vudu app for the android tv recognizes dolby digital plus.
Netflix app is not.

So to me thats odd
The Netflix app is not 5.1. On the UHD player, it shows as 5.1.

Sony XBR75X940C & XBR65A1E Samsung UBD K8500
My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps(Video), My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps, My non-HDR and HDR Settings, Setting HDMI to show no overscan
Sony XBR75X940C, Samsung UBD K8500, Roku Ultra, DirecTV RVU and C61K, Chromecast Ultra
post #8441 of 14426 Old 03-04-2016, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCsoftball7 View Post
The Netflix app is not 5.1. On the UHD player, it shows as 5.1.
Is there plans for Netflix to update their android tv app to support 5.1 audio?
Seems ridiculous i can stream 4k ultra hd content from their app, but cant get 5.1 audio as well.
post #8442 of 14426 Old 03-04-2016, 04:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1702 Post(s)
Liked: 1303
Quote:
Is there plans for Netflix to update their android tv app to support 5.1 audio?
Seems ridiculous i can stream 4k ultra hd content from their app, but cant get 5.1 audio as well.
Yes. From what I have read they plan to update to 5.1.

Sony XBR75X940C & XBR65A1E Samsung UBD K8500
My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps(Video), My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps, My non-HDR and HDR Settings, Setting HDMI to show no overscan
Sony XBR75X940C, Samsung UBD K8500, Roku Ultra, DirecTV RVU and C61K, Chromecast Ultra
post #8443 of 14426 Old 03-04-2016, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
x940C Setup Recommendations?

Hey everyone, happy Friday! So I am about a month into my new x940C and absolutely in love. I've been an A/V aficionado for 20 years now and this is hands down the best television I have every laid hands or eyes on. With that said, I am seeking a little input from others on the best way to cable up my system. I am using AudioQuest Pearl HDMI cables for all components, and I have the TV connected with an Oppo BDP-103, Xbox One and Marantz SR7009 in 7.2 mode. Traditionally, I have always run my components through the receiver with a single cable out from the ARC port on receiver to the TV. With this new unit, I set it up reverse, with components plugged into TV and ARC connection out to the Marantz. I just wanted to start with a baseline of straight Blu-Ray to TV without anything in between so I could properly gauge the quality of my picture (also wanted to make sure sound worked properly on the TV's built-in apps). So far, I am all peaches. With that said, there is one irritating thing about the setup: I can no longer display the Marantz configuration menu on screen unless I switch the input to TV, make my changes, then switch it back. I don't fuss with my settings all the time, but I do frequently adjust things like dynamic volume, reference offset, surround settings and the like depending on the situation.

So, does anyone feel I will degrade the quality of my picture by letting the Marantz pass the picture through to the TV? Is there any benefit to using the receiver's upscaler, or will that just muddy what is already awesome upscaling done by the Sony's X1 chip? And lastly, is running my components through the TV and out to the receiver possibly degrading my sound quality or not handshaking the right surround setting between the Blu-ray player / Xbox and the Marantz?

Hope this all makes sense. I have invested heavily in this stuff and really want it to be at optimum performance, but I've never had so many choices before!
post #8444 of 14426 Old 03-04-2016, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
i thought neflix already had 5.1 on the 940C (my yamaha AVR 779 shows dolby digital audio when streaming netflix 5.1 labeled shows)- Thought it was amazon prime that didn't yet have 5.1 on 940c & other sony- (my yamaha 779 shows PLxII- can't get it to show dolby digital)-

P.S. anyone else finding AVS forum very slow loading the last few weeks?

Last edited by bgrpph; 03-04-2016 at 04:44 PM.
post #8445 of 14426 Old 03-04-2016, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 161
The Netflix app definitely supports 5.1 audio, the Amazon app does not (even though content has the 5.1 logo next to it).
post #8446 of 14426 Old 03-04-2016, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrpph View Post
i thought neflix already had 5.1 on the 940C (my yamaha AVR 779 shows dolby digital audio when streaming netflix 5.1 labeled shows)- Thought it was amazon prime that didn't yet have 5.1 on 940c & other sony- (my yamaha 779 shows PLxII- can't get it to show dolby digital)-

I dont have a receiver hooked up.
I expect to have the Netflix 5.1 audio option, just like I do now from my ps3, by playing sounds through the attached tv speakers.
post #8447 of 14426 Old 03-04-2016, 04:47 PM

Quote:
The Netflix app definitely supports 5.1 audio, the Amazon app does not (even though content has the 5.1 logo next to it).
native Netflix app for android tv + Sony xbr930c tv, stock tv speakers = no 5.1 audio option for movies.

I do have that 5.1 audio option when navigating movies using the ps3 netflix app.

Notice I didnt mention any receiver being hooked up to the tv.

To me its odd that the ps3 netflix app gives me a choice for 5.1 audio with the xbr930c speakers, but the netflix app for android tv thats part of the tv does NOT give me that 5.1 audio option.
post #8448 of 14426 Old 03-04-2016, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 113
I have my oppo 103, Theta Compli Blu, Apple TV etc all going through my McIntosh AVP. I tried all configurations and this seems the best. Also using audioquest HDMI and audioquest power conditioner for all units including the 940c. Had to tweak the tv settings just a tad, but looks good.
post #8449 of 14426 Old 03-04-2016, 05:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Correct.

Quote:
native Netflix app for android tv + Sony xbr930c tv, stock tv speakers = no 5.1 audio option for movies.

I do have that 5.1 audio option when navigating movies using the ps3 netflix app.

To me its odd that the ps3 netflix app gives me a choice for 5.1 audio with the xbr930c speakers, but the netflix app for android tv thats part of the tv does NOT give me that 5.1 audio option.
If the speakers on your TV are not 5.1, it doesn't matter what the PS3 says it is sending, you are not going to end up w/5.1 output. The fact the PS3 gives you a choice doesn't mean that you are getting 5.1 from your TV speakers. The PS3 is an external device that can connect to all kinds of systems, so it offers multiple audio output options...however, you're only going to get stereo if that's what the TV's built in speakers support. The PS3 can't change the physical and FW limitations of your TV's speakers.

If you look at the Netflix and Amazon apps on the TV you'll find there are no audio options (in fact no settings really of any kind for audio or video) in the apps. In the case of the Netflix app it will automatically output 5.1 from videos that support that when going through optical or HDMI out, and if going through the TV speakers it will provide stereo audio. The Amazon should do the same, but it is currently "broken" and is unable to output 5.1 via optical or HDMI out, so it outputs stereo both externally and via built-in speakers.

2015 Sony X850C FAQ: Recommended Picture settings, 3D FAQ, HDR FAQ, DirecTV 4K Ready FAQ, Troubleshooting & common problems; Dropbox Link || Alternate Google Drive FAQ Link. || My gear: TV - Sony XBR75X850C, BD - Sony BDP S350, AVR - Pioneer VSX-1020, Speakers - RBH MC-616C MKII Center Channel, RBH MC-6C MKII Bookshelf (fronts), RBH MC-615 In-ceiling surrounds, RBH TS-10AP 200W self-powered sub.
post #8450 of 14426 Old 03-04-2016, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw View Post
Correct.

If the speakers on your TV are not 5.1, it doesn't matter what the PS3 says it is sending, you are not going to end up w/5.1 output. The fact the PS3 gives you a choice doesn't mean that you are getting 5.1 from your TV speakers. The PS3 is an external device that can connect to all kinds of systems, so it offers multiple audio output options...however, you're only going to get stereo if that's what the TV's built in speakers support. The PS3 can't change the physical and FW limitations of your TV's speakers.

If you look at the Netflix and Amazon apps on the TV you'll find there are no audio options (in fact no settings really of any kind for audio or video) in the apps. In the case of the Netflix app it will automatically output 5.1 from videos that support that when going through optical or HDMI out, and if going through the TV speakers it will provide stereo audio. The Amazon should do the same, but it is currently "broken" and is unable to output 5.1 via optical or HDMI out, so it outputs stereo both externally and via built-in speakers.
Are you 100 percent the built in speakers are not 5.1?
If so, are you saying the issue is with the Sony PS3 netflix app showing 5.1 audio option for movies, when in fact it isnt playing the audio at 5.1 thru the xbr930c speakers.

This is in contrast to that same Netflix app for ps3, when it was hooked up to my 2011 Panasonic plasma viera (no av surround sound receiver hooked up), that 5.1 audio option was nowhere to be seen.
post #8451 of 14426 Old 03-04-2016, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah the android apps don't do 5.1 except Sony's video player it's a huge flaw in my opinion. That and the fact the android apps don't look as good as they should. If the TV (x930c)was 1500 that's one thing but it's much more. Ha I just talked my self it off a x940c.
post #8452 of 14426 Old 03-04-2016, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veli1 View Post
Yeah the android apps don't do 5.1 except Sony's video player it's a huge flaw in my opinion. That and the fact the android apps don't look as good as they should. If the TV (x930c)was 1500 that's one thing but it's much more. Ha I just talked my self it off a x940c.
wow. none of the android (google) apps on android tv do 5.1 audio? But that doesnt explain Netflix app issue.
post #8453 of 14426 Old 03-04-2016, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 103
I think the apps loop great. Some content sucks, but that's with anything. Uhd discs even. I get 5.1 on most apps. Definitely not Amazon.
post #8454 of 14426 Old 03-04-2016, 05:36 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 5299 Post(s)
Liked: 3037
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrpph View Post

I have.

Quote:
wow. none of the android (google) apps on android tv do 5.1 audio? But that doesnt explain Netflix app issue.
FWIW, I stopped using the built-in apps in the 940 and just go with a streaming device now (less headaches).

post #8455 of 14426 Old 03-04-2016, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkyork View Post
I think the apps loop great. Some content sucks, but that's with anything. Uhd discs even. I get 5.1 on most apps. Definitely not Amazon.
Ugh what apps are 5.1 I've ever seen one
post #8456 of 14426 Old 03-04-2016, 05:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
If you're talking about the TVs built-in speakers, it doesn't matter what the apps support, they can send 5.1, 7.1, etc., but the if the TV speakers can only do stereo, that's what you get.

If sending audio out from TV apps via optical out or HDMI/ARC, to a 5.1 or better external audio system, you can get 5.1 from the Netflix app, from the Sony Video app I believe, from Kodi, from Plex, and I believe from the Archos video app as well.

The Amazon app does not currently output 5.1 from the TV via optical out or HDMI/ARC. It's broken and needs to be fixed by Amazon and or Sony.

I'm looking now and find nothing so far in Sony X940C marketing specifications, Amazon page for the TV, or Reference Guide that indicates 5.1 from the built-in TV speakers. Frankly, it's almost like they have intentionally avoided any statements about the speakers in their various documentation...the word "speaker" only appears three times in the reference guide, and only in terms of connecting external speakers. If the built-in speaker system did 5.1, you know they would be talking/bragging about it.

2015 Sony X850C FAQ: Recommended Picture settings, 3D FAQ, HDR FAQ, DirecTV 4K Ready FAQ, Troubleshooting & common problems; Dropbox Link || Alternate Google Drive FAQ Link. || My gear: TV - Sony XBR75X850C, BD - Sony BDP S350, AVR - Pioneer VSX-1020, Speakers - RBH MC-616C MKII Center Channel, RBH MC-6C MKII Bookshelf (fronts), RBH MC-615 In-ceiling surrounds, RBH TS-10AP 200W self-powered sub.

Last edited by Danabw; 03-04-2016 at 06:09 PM.
post #8457 of 14426 Old 03-04-2016, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by veli1 View Post
Hmm Netflix app is a android app
post #8458 of 14426 Old 03-04-2016, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Quote:
If you're talking about the TVs built-in speakers, it doesn't matter what the apps support, they can send 5.1, 7.1, etc., but the if the TV speakers can only do stereo, that's what you get.

If sending audio out from TV apps via optical out or HDMI/ARC, to a 5.1 or better external audio system, you can get 5.1 from the Netflix app, from the Sony Video app I believe, from Kodi, from Plex, and I believe from the Archos video app as well.

The Amazon app does not currently output 5.1 from the TV via optical out or HDMI/ARC. It's broken and needs to be fixed by Amazon and or Sony.

I'm looking now and find nothing so far in Sony X940C marketing specifications, Amazon page for the TV, or Reference Guide that indicates 5.1 from the built-in TV speakers. Frankly, it's almost like they have intentionally avoided any statements about the speakers in their various documentation...the word "speaker" only appears three times in the reference guide, and only in terms of connecting external speakers.
Quote:
Quote:

I'm looking now and find nothing so far in Sony X940C marketing specifications, Amazon page for the TV, or Reference Guide that indicates 5.1 from the built-in TV speakers. Frankly, it's almost like they have intentionally avoided any statements about the speakers in their various documentation...the word "speaker" only appears three times in the reference guide, and only in terms of connecting external speakers.
I don't get 5.1 from Plex, kodi,net flix,or MX player I have tested
post #8459 of 14426 Old 03-04-2016, 06:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1207 Post(s)
Liked: 701
I just popped in mad max 4K blu Ray on my 940c and its like nothing I have ever seen before. The colors and contrast it's unreal. I watched the Martain and it looked good but I was not completely sold on uhd blu Ray but mad max did it.
post #8460 of 14426 Old 03-04-2016, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Are you 100 percent the built in speakers are not 5.1?
If so, are you saying the issue is with the Sony PS3 netflix app showing 5.1 audio option for movies, when in fact it isnt playing the audio at 5.1 thru the xbr930c speakers.

This is in contrast to that same Netflix app for ps3, when it was hooked up to my 2011 Panasonic plasma viera (no av surround sound receiver hooked up), that 5.1 audio option was nowhere to be seen.
You wouldn't want 5.1 on the stock speakers, even if it could. You'd be hearing center, left, right, and both rear channels all at once. It wouldn't sound right. 5.1 is meant for surround sound setups. The TV itself isn't going to allow 5.1 output on the built in speakers. My Netflix app shows 5.1 audio on certain shows, but the TV only plays stereo sound out the built in speakers. It does send the 5.1 audio to my receiver, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
940C , hdr , Sony , X930C , X940C

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page