Guys, I've thought long and hard about whether I should buy the X940C or wait a few more months for the 2016 model to establish itself, well, I've pulled the trigger on the X940C - here's the reasons why.......
1) Speakers - although I have a surround system I prefer to use the tv speakers on a day-to-day basis when viewing non disc sources, therefore the speakers on the X940C will be ideal for this. Plus it keeps the rest of the family from messing with the avr lol.
2) May be a moot point, but no 3d glasses with the 2016 model.
3) I'm hearing nothing else from Sony to say that the 2016 model is superior to the X940C, other than the "X1 processor has been tweaked for improved upscaling" - well, I can live with that.
4) Personally I prefer the reassuring bulk of the X940C as opposed to the new model with its thin panel - I could well be wrong but imo thin panels may contibute to poor screen uniformity i.e. clouding; torchlight effect etc.
5) The X940C has garnered excellent professional reviews, and plus YOU
guy's all seem to love it as well
6) Apart from not supporting Dolby Vision (though neither does the 2016 model) the X940c appears to be fully future proof - for a while at least.
Edit : Apologies for the earlier half-baked post - my dopey cat jumped up onto the keyboard and hit the enter button lol.