**Official** Sony X930C / X940C Owners Thread - Page 365 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7015Likes

post #10921 of 14409 Old 06-09-2016, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcosa79 View Post
I know this has probably been discussed already somewhere but couldn't find it. Just got the 940C and updated my Netflix account to access 4K ultra. Tried Marco Polo and looks pretty damn good using the settings from the VE shoot out. However, looking at DareDevil and a couple of other shows, something seems wrong. The best way to describe the issue is it seems like there's a million tiny bugs all over the screen while its playing, like a million dots moving all over the place. I do realize people have said that the DD source material itself is pretty crappy but it actually looked better on my 1080p Vizio than it does in 4K on the Sony. Btw, both are compared through the built in Netflix app. Has anybody experienced this same issue? Are there any settings that I can try to improve it?
Turn off Reality Creation but understand that the noise you see is film grain probably exacerbated by compression noise. Dare Devil should not be defined as reference material as it is awful picture. Also no your Vizio is not better that's how much better the Sony is that it reveals material flaws. The Vizio can't even pickup on it.

The difference between cheap speakers, AVR vs. high end is QUALITY. They can both deliver sound but only the high end system will reveal nuanced details good or bad in material.

Same thing with Sony vs Vizio. I owned a x850c and when I jumped up to the 940C I realized I had been missing so much like the little threads and lint on someone's coat. On the x850c everything looked sharp like looking through a window but on 940c it was like removing that window. Suddenly things had way more depth, color and details were more visible. Anyways that's my take on it and good luck! Also remember Dare Devil is being remastered for HDR which will surely make it more watchable. I stopped watching it and I'm waiting for that to happen end of this month or next I believe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10922 of 14409 Old 06-09-2016, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by goksucats View Post
I'm so glad to read your take on this. I can't swing a 75 inch TV in my room as I only sit about 6 feet away. But was wanting to be fully immersed and wanted to go from my 42 inch Plasma to a 65 incher. And with 4K and upscaling as it is today, sitting 6 feet away from a 65 inch TV insn't a big deal anymore. I had purchased a Samsung UN65JS8500 and had problems with it from the beginning (the first TV simply had ripples in the screen) and Samsung replaced. But then I had horrible backlighting issues (see the photos below) with so much material. Whatever local dimming algorithms Samsung uses are just awful, or whatever material they use to diffuse the light across from the edges is just awful. Whatever it is, the picture was just awful for darkened scenes. My dealer swapped for a new set as I was hoping it was just my TV, but the replacement set displayed these exact same issues. I then returned and decided I was going to get the Vizio P65-C1. But the salesperson in the Magnolia store who I have dealt with before and is one of the few Best Buy guys who seems to know his stuff told me they had a Sony XBR65X930C they were clearancing out for the same price as the Vizio and he recommended I take it home. I told him he was full of it and was just trying to push Sony since he knew I was at the point I wasn't about to purchase a damn Samsung product for at least a few years. But he pressed forward and I relented knowing I had a month to exchange. I took it home.. and oh my goodness I love my X930C. And I'm so glad I went with it over the P65-C1 , even in my darkened room where I watch. I know perhaps the P65 had somewhat better black levels, but everything else the Sony does is so amazing. And the picture is so superior in every way (motion, color ( particularly skin tones), local dimming, then the Samsung that the Sammy engineers should be ashamed of themselves as technically both sets were edge lit with local dimming. I haven't regretted my decision to snatch up the X930C, and based on what you have stated having both a P75 and an X940C in your home, I shouldn't have any regrets either. (I'll again reference the photos below of three different films that show horrible edge light bleeding from two different Samsung UN65JS8500's) . On the Sony X930C the edges remain generally nice and black. Is it OLED black? Certainly not. But I think it's very nearly as good as the Plasma it replaced.
Glad to help and I think you made a great choice! Since getting my replacement 940, I can look back at my original comparison to the P75 and walk back the local dimming statement a bit. This 940 does a better job with dimming and closes that gap quite a bit.

Overall the new P series is very nice but the Sony fixes the little gripes I had with the P and is just a more noticibly refined presentation. I LOVE Reality Creation and XDR.

Ascend Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Ascend Horizon Center w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 2 surrounds, PSB Imagine XA Atmos modules (x4), SVS PB13 Ultras (x2), SVS PB12+ (x2)
Denon X6500H / Emotiva Mini-X a-100
Panasonic DP-UB820 / PS4 Pro / XBOX 1X
Sony XBR75Z9D, LG OLED65B7A
post #10923 of 14409 Old 06-09-2016, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1849 Post(s)
Liked: 1280
I've had my 940c for close to 6 months now and I have to say I haven't experienced much, if any, clouding or blooming as others have reported seeing. Not sure if maybe I got a good one or maybe my settings diminish it. I just run standard out of the box with reality creation on. I've grown to like SOE now that I'm used to it. It looks so real. I feel like I'm in the studio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10924 of 14409 Old 06-09-2016, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by pee View Post
mt14942, It looks the the window for the survey ending in late May.

Sony is scheduled to come to my house and do an 'at home' interview with me on 6/21. There will be about 6 people coming (3 of which are from Sony Japan). Hopefully this will be people with some inside knowledge on things like software updates etc.

Will do my best to represent AVS!
Please bring up the fact that there still isn't a comprehensive manual for the set!
pee and goksucats like this.
post #10925 of 14409 Old 06-09-2016, 03:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Re-Boot The TV set

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcclark View Post
I bought my Sony XBR75X940C on May 5. A few days ago, it developed a thin, white horizontal line on the lower part of the screen. It extends about halfway across. It is worse on a light background.

I went to the Sony website and it said to access the Menu screen to see if the line is still there.....it is.

I assume I need to call for a warranty repair, but was wondering if anyone else had this problem and if you were able to fix it yourself? Thanks!
I have read in the past about Sony and other brands of TV sets, that if you UNPLUG the TV set, wait 1 minute, and plug it back it, it re-loads the software, and has fixed similar type of problems.. Good Luck!!
vman83 likes this.
post #10926 of 14409 Old 06-09-2016, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Edit: I was looking for X930C stands and found some. Thanks everyone who responded!

Last edited by naidd; 06-22-2016 at 08:45 PM.
post #10927 of 14409 Old 06-10-2016, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobrien1 View Post
Please bring up the fact that there still isn't a comprehensive manual for the set!
Amen! It's as if they are trying to withhold information. This isn't State Department or Pentagon type stuff we are talking about here. Tell us about our TV's and the settings.. please Sony!

Sony XBR65X930C / Sony UBP-X800 UltraHD Blu-ray Player/ Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD / PS4 Pro / Onkyo TX-RZ830 / Paradigm CC-190/Paradigm Titan Monitor V5/Paradigm Atom Monitor V5/ Paradigm CI Home H65 In-ceiling Atmos/ JBL Studio L8400P 12-Inch Sub
post #10928 of 14409 Old 06-10-2016, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Can anyone recommend a good TV lift for a 930c? I already have a nice entertainment center; however, the 930c sits lower than my last 65 inch tv, and I need to lift the 930c 4 or 5 inches. I would not mind if I could put some components under it as well. Most lifts I have found will not support the weight of the 930c. Thank you!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
post #10929 of 14409 Old 06-10-2016, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Still can't get over the picture on this 940. My wife has asked if I intend to rewatch every movie I own...

I answered Yes of course
Tom Riddle likes this.

Ascend Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Ascend Horizon Center w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 2 surrounds, PSB Imagine XA Atmos modules (x4), SVS PB13 Ultras (x2), SVS PB12+ (x2)
Denon X6500H / Emotiva Mini-X a-100
Panasonic DP-UB820 / PS4 Pro / XBOX 1X
Sony XBR75Z9D, LG OLED65B7A
post #10930 of 14409 Old 06-10-2016, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunmetalR56 View Post
Still can't get over the picture on this 940. My wife has asked if I intend to rewatch every movie I own...

I answered Yes of course
It has been an interesting process at my house as well, that both my wife and I have been enjoying.

There are details in every movie we re-watch that we've never seen before. Sure, I may have watched Back To The Future 1000 times before, but I never noticed the background elements which became clear in a single time watching it on the 940c.
post #10931 of 14409 Old 06-10-2016, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Has anyone compared the stream quality of apps playing on one device vs the another? For example, streaming Game of Thrones on the HBOGO app from my PS4 seems to not be as good of quality as streaming it directly from the downloaded HBOGO app on the 940C (which looks freaking amaze balls!). I notice noise such as darker areas displaying pixelated or boxy patterns when playing it through the PS4. Could it be the reciever (Denon AVR-3200) is causing a data bottleneck trying to pass through the PS4 signal to the 940C?
post #10932 of 14409 Old 06-10-2016, 11:08 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by naidd View Post
Looking to buy a stand (left+right legs) for an X930C, the sooner the better. Please PM if you have one and are willing to sell.

Naidd, someone on the Amazon page for 930c asked about the feet and a Sony representative recommended they send an email to [email protected]

Another alternative would be to buy it from a parts distributor. Losservatore gave me the rundown last week:

Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post
check here:

Left part# 4-562-464-01
https://sony.encompass.com/item/1031...d_L_(2L_Alb)_A

Right part # 4-562-465-01
https://sony.encompass.com/item/1031...d_R_(2L_Alb)_A

You can also check here http://www.ued.net/website/

or copy the part number and paste on google search, but keep in mind that the 2 links above are authorized parts distributors.

keep also an eye on ebay,this is probably the cheap way.
I was fortunate in that raysinbox78 helped me out. Good luck!
stjefrey likes this.
post #10933 of 14409 Old 06-11-2016, 04:55 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmhand View Post
Naidd, someone on the Amazon page for 930c asked about the feet and a Sony representative recommended they send an email to...

Another alternative would be to buy it from a parts distributor. Losservatore gave me the rundown last week:

I was fortunate in that raysinbox78 helped me out. Good luck!
Thanks, I ended up ordering from Encompass. $200 for 2 legs is madness, so I keep reminding myself what a good deal the TV was Missed a set of legs on eBay for $25 a day before picking up the TV, but those seem to only pop up once every few months.

Looking forward to many years with the X930C, hopefully it's as reliable as the one it's replacing: a KF-60WE610 beast from 2004.
post #10934 of 14409 Old 06-11-2016, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by patgilm View Post
Anyone know why they stopped making the SWF-BR100 wireless subwoofer for these TVs? Seems like with so many people buying these up lately that they would be selling a bunch of them right now. It's hard to find a new one these days for a decent price.
"Anyone know why they stopped making the SWF-BR100 wireless subwoofer for these TVs? Seems like with so many people buying these up lately that they would be selling a bunch of them right now. It's hard to find a new one these days for a decent price."

Funny that you post this! My question is... Why are people selling these subwoofers on ebay with out the transceiver?

Sony XRB-930C
Sony Playstation 4
Mitsubishi 1100 DVHS
post #10935 of 14409 Old 06-11-2016, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by stjefrey View Post
Funny that you post this! My question is... Why are people selling these subwoofers on ebay with out the transceiver?
Yeah I haven't been able to figure that out either, I wonder if there is some functionality of the transceiver that is still usable without the sub. The transceiver from Sony is around $150 including shipping so it is not a cheap part!
post #10936 of 14409 Old 06-11-2016, 09:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Does anyone have settings for the 940c they have found to be better than the factory settings? Id like to try them out.
post #10937 of 14409 Old 06-12-2016, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanii19 View Post
Does anyone have settings for the 940c they have found to be better than the factory settings? Id like to try them out.
Here is what I use as my default:
Picture Adjustments
Picture Mode: Standard
Auto Picture Mode: Off
Brightness: 36
Color: 58
Light Sensor: Off
Advanced Settings
Brightness
Brightness: 36
Contrast: 90
Gamma: 0
Black Level: 40
Black Adjust: Off
Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Off
Auto Local Dimming: Medium
Extended Dynamic Range: Low
Color
Color: 58
Hue: R3
Color Temp: Expert1
Color Space: Auto
Live Color: Low
Advanced Color Temperature
Basic
R-Gain: -6
G-Gain: -5
B-Gain: Max
R-Bias: 0
G-Bias: 0
B-Bias: 0
Multipoint (10P)
Color Gamma Adjustment Points: 1
R-Offset: 4
G-Offset: 3
B-Offset: 4
Clarity
Sharpness: 50
Reality Creation: Auto
Mastered in 4K: Off
Random Noise: Off
Digital Noise: Auto
Motion
Motionflow: Smooth
Cinemotion: Off
post #10938 of 14409 Old 06-12-2016, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1785 Post(s)
Liked: 1482
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanii19 View Post
I've been playing around with it a lot, and this is what I've come up with that seems to give the best results for the widest variety of cable/sat content:

Picture Mode: Cinema Pro
Auto Picture Mode: Off
Light Sensor: Off

Advanced Settings:

Brightness:

Brightness: 20
Contrast: 90
Gamma: -2
Black Level: 50
Black Adjust: Medium
Advanced Contrast Enhancer: Medium
Auto Local Dimming: Medium
Extended Dynamic Range: Medium

Color:

Color: 52
Hue: 0
Color Temperature: Expert 1
Adv Color Temperature: (I recommend not copying anyone else's settings for this as individual displays can vary greatly, if you want to adjust them, do it based on your own eyes to your own taste (if you don't have calibration equipment)). The only change I made to mine is turning down the G-Gain to -3.
Color Space: Auto
Live Color: High

Clarity:

Sharpness: 50
Reality Creation: Manual
Resolution: 20
Mastered in 4K: Off
Random Noise Reduction: Off
Digital Noise Reduction: Auto

Motion:

Motionflow: Custom
Smoothness: Min
Clearness: 1
Cinemotion: Low
post #10939 of 14409 Old 06-12-2016, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked: 226
With all the different variations of picture settings that have been posted on this forum this makes me believe even more that either every set is different or the picture people like to see varies dramatically. Probably a combination of the two which is probably a good reason to get a professional calibration.
vman83 likes this.

Sony 75xZ9D
Oppo UDP-205 4k player
Classe SSP-800 pre/pro
Parasound Halo 5 channel Amp
post #10940 of 14409 Old 06-12-2016, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 View Post
With all the different variations of picture settings that have been posted on this forum this makes me believe even more that either every set is different or the picture people like to see varies dramatically. Probably a combination of the two which is probably a good reason to get a professional calibration.
I think you're right pal. I used a lot of the settings posted here and tweaked it to my own preference. I guess we've all been used to different picture settings from our tv sets over the years and have an idea what the "right" look is. I've thought about getting my 930 calibrated but it's not cheap.
post #10941 of 14409 Old 06-12-2016, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked: 690
Quote:
I believe it has more to do with preference than anything else. I used the settings from the VE Shootout for both day and night, and have to say they were spot on. I made some adjustments for blu-Ray to brightness and contrast, but only due to using bias lightning, otherwise those settings would have been correct (per Disney WOW - not a substitute for a true calibration). Each set surely has deviations, but I'm sure they aren't wildly different, with a few exceptions of course.

Routh Family Theater - My Dedicated Home Theater Build - 7.1.4 Atmos Setup
Seymour AV 100" Electronic Masking Screen - Klipsch RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II's, RS-52 II's, CDT-5650 II-C x 4 - PSA V3600I Sub
Marantz AV7704 with TK421 Modification - Panasonic UBD 820
Emotiva XPA -7 & XPA-5 - Sony XBR-75x940c with Ideal-Lume Panelight (Living Room)
post #10942 of 14409 Old 06-12-2016, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Riddle View Post
I believe it has more to do with preference than anything else. I used the settings from the VE Shootout for both day and night, and have to say they were spot on. I made some adjustments for blu-Ray to brightness and contrast, but only due to using bias lightning, otherwise those settings would have been correct (per Disney WOW - not a substitute for a true calibration). Each set surely has deviations, but I'm sure they aren't wildly different, with a few exceptions of course.
I also believe that if Sony were to have published something explaining what each setting actually did, in moderate and then great detail, they wouldn't have so many folks asking for settings help. The link someone posted to another forum where someone did take the time to explain most, if not all the settings was incredibly helpful.
goksucats likes this.

Sony XBR65X930C
post #10943 of 14409 Old 06-12-2016, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATechGuy View Post
I also believe that if Sony were to have published something explaining what each setting actually did, in moderate and then great detail, they wouldn't have so many folks asking for settings help. The link someone posted to another forum where someone did take the time to explain most, if not all the settings was incredibly helpful.

I agree about that link from an earlier post that provided some more detail on some of the various settings was helpful. One thing I was curious about and I'm not sure if this was ever decided one way or another and that is, if say for instance you took the Standard picture settings and the Cinema Pro picture setting and put in the exact same variables for each of those settings would not the picture than look exactly the same? I seem to remember doing this and still seeing a slight difference as if there was something inherently different to begin with between the Picture Mode setting you start with. I need to experiment with this some more.

Sony 75xZ9D
Oppo UDP-205 4k player
Classe SSP-800 pre/pro
post #10944 of 14409 Old 06-12-2016, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
I agree about that link from an earlier post that provided some more detail on some of the various settings was helpful. One thing I was curious about and I'm not sure if this was ever decided one way or another and that is, if say for instance you took the Standard picture settings and the Cinema Pro picture setting and put in the exact same variables for each of those settings would not the picture than look exactly the same? I seem to remember doing this and still seeing a slight difference as if there was something inherently different to begin with between the Picture Mode setting you start with. I need to experiment with this some more.
Let us know what you find!

Sony XBR65X930C
post #10945 of 14409 Old 06-12-2016, 05:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1695 Post(s)
Liked: 1287
Quote:
There is a difference for sure.

Sony XBR75X940C & XBR65A1E Samsung UBD K8500
My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps(Video), My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps, My non-HDR and HDR Settings, Setting HDMI to show no overscan
Sony XBR75X940C, Samsung UBD K8500, Roku Ultra, DirecTV RVU and C61K, Chromecast Ultra
post #10946 of 14409 Old 06-12-2016, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATechGuy View Post

Sony sets have always had "hidden" effects hidden away under their specific starting presets.
CCsoftball7 likes this.
post #10947 of 14409 Old 06-12-2016, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by stjefrey View Post
"Anyone know why they stopped making the SWF-BR100 wireless subwoofer for these TVs? Seems like with so many people buying these up lately that they would be selling a bunch of them right now. It's hard to find a new one these days for a decent price."

I bought a couple of Sony subs from Amazon.ca recently. If you don't mind the white color it's a good option (I would prefer black but since they are both going to be hidden from view it's not a big deal). Problem is the sellers aren't shipping to the U.S. but I found one that did and both two from him (on 2 different occasions). But if you keep an eye open he (MGTC, or someone else) may have another for sale and will ship to the U.S.
post #10948 of 14409 Old 06-13-2016, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked: 690
Quote:
The different picture presets have underlying settings that cannot be changed, unless you enter the service menu. So, while it would seem that if you put in everything equal, you would get the same result, but it's not possible. This isn't unique to Sony sets, it's a staple of all manufacturers. T
CCsoftball7 likes this.

Routh Family Theater - My Dedicated Home Theater Build - 7.1.4 Atmos Setup
Seymour AV 100" Electronic Masking Screen - Klipsch RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II's, RS-52 II's, CDT-5650 II-C x 4 - PSA V3600I Sub
Marantz AV7704 with TK421 Modification - Panasonic UBD 820
Emotiva XPA -7 & XPA-5 - Sony XBR-75x940c with Ideal-Lume Panelight (Living Room)
post #10949 of 14409 Old 06-13-2016, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Does anyone have a Denon receiver they're running in their setup with the 940c? I have the 3200x and wanted to know if people are disabling the 4K up scaling or have it set to auto. On mine when I have it turned on, the picture looks good from afar but you can see some pixelation on outer edges of objects. With it off, the pixelation is gone but the picture looks softer when the source is 720p or 1080i which is what my cable box is putting out.
post #10950 of 14409 Old 06-13-2016, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Riddle View Post
The different picture presets have underlying settings that cannot be changed, unless you enter the service menu. So, while it would seem that if you put in everything equal, you would get the same result, but it's not possible. This isn't unique to Sony sets, it's a staple of all manufacturers. T

I can confirm what you said as I put the same exact settings under the Standard, Custom & Cinema Pro picture modes and there was definitely a different look to the picture, most noticeably with the Standard Picture mode as it seemed to have a more red push than the others,. I actually have been mostly using the Standard picture mode with the Hue set to G1 and the Brightness set to 29 for my day time Direct TV viewing. I use the Cinema Pro picture mode for blu ray viewing with very little light and also for Direct TV at night when the lights are off with the brightness turned down to 5.

Sony 75xZ9D
Oppo UDP-205 4k player
Classe SSP-800 pre/pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
940C , hdr , Sony , X930C , X940C

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page